This is my life | Teen Ink

This is my life

Author's note:

My life sort of inspired me to write this , even though it isn't all real life stuff that happened to me but it's much more dramatic. 

Wesley and don’te are best friends, they’ve known each other since day care, they are now in 11th grade, they have been through some tough times both individually and together. They go to different schools and on the side they are volunteers at kaiser hospital .
They’re both 17 .

Wesley: Her mother owns a business, her father is an abuser. Her brother is special needs and she (wesley) is dealing with
diabetes. Her dad lost his job, so they lost their home, so they lived in a
basement. Her parents don’t pay attention to her, they dont care, they
neglect her, physically, emotionally and mentally. The brother is going to
live in a group home, he is malnourished, and has bruises all over . She has a sister away at college. etc… Wesley is in a science club, she manages a 3.8gpa, she does boxing and goes to therapy…

Dont’e: His mom is dying from lung cancer, she’s a single mother of
5 boys , his deadbeat dad is a manwhore, he drinks, he is never home
it’s like he never existed . This just might be don’tes last year of high school, so he can take care of his mother and help out at home. She works 2 jobs, so she gets home around 8. They are basically on their own. defending
and taking care of each other, with a brother who has down syndrome. they can barely pay bills, barely keep food on the table, their outside family acts like they don’t exist. He’s maintaining a 3.5 gpa and is on a sports team .

2:15pm
Wesley’s in class during a chemistry lab
she’s blocked everything out, she’s spaced out
Mr. Randall the chem teacher
:WESLEY HELLO, anybody there, !!??
he throws a marker at her face and she snaps out of it
her eyes swelling with tears, her face getting red

Wesley: Oh umm i’m sorry, uhh what were you
saying again.
He gives her a stern look, and then his face softens as he see’s
her eyes threaten to spill out the tears, that she’s holding in .

Mr. Randall: I didn’t say anything, but are you going
to continue to let your project spillover and burn a hole in the table …
she looks at him curious as to why he would say this then she looks down and see’s what he’s talking about…

Wesley: OH SHIZ, DAMMIT
the class starts to laugh a little as she cleans the mess up swearing
the whole time

Mr. Randall: Class settle down and ge…
Before he could finish the bell rings and school is over .
he gives the class their homework and they run out the classroom,
as she tries to slip by, the teacher trips her and she falls forward luckily catching her balance.

Mr. Randall: Ms. simmons STAY…
i need you to come after school to redo your project
you know the one you messed up today while having your
moment.

Wesley: WHAT… CAN’T I JUST DO IT SOME OTHER TIME !!

Mr. Randall: No today is the only day i am free so pull up a chair
and let’s work through this together.

Wesley: UMM HA HA no thanks i’d rather work alone …
as she walks slowly backwards to her seat, she pulls out her phone and tells
dont’e to meet her in his classroom so that way after her project, they can head
over to kaiser together. He arrives and knocks on the door leaning against the door watching
wesley.  he walks over to sit next to her as the teacher is in the copy room .

Dont’e: Can you please explain to me why we’re sittin here right now?

Wesley: Well i sort of spaced out while doing my chem lab so he threw a marker at my face aaand i messed
it up .
dont’e sighs and pulls her chair closer and grabs her shoulders turning her
so she could face him, he takes hold of her hands gently stroking her hands . He’s
looking at her face as she looks down at their hand and smiles a little

Dont’e: what’s going on, tell me please .
using one of his hands to lift her chin up so they’re looking eye to eye.

Wesley: Everything is wrong, my life is screwed. i didn’t ask for any of this, i didn’t ask for my life to be this way, it’s like i’m cursed
she clears her throat
Wesley: Anyways i need to get back to work.
she finishes her project and they wave by to Mr. randall as she puts
written report on the table. and they run out of the room on their way to kaiser.
… hours went by and their job is finally done, they went down the street to chipotle
and order a simple burrito, weeks later wesley started feeling sick from e coli/ food poisoning

Dont’e: BabyGirl you okay?? Do you need anything!!??
she starts laughing at him and then groans

Wesley: No i’m going to be fine, stop worrying so much, you can go
if you want, you know you have to study for the S.A.T’s .

Dont’e: F*** that right now, you need to get better and since no one
cares enough about you to take care of you then i will.
him standing there folding his arms looking stern. she all of the sudden gets out of bed
runs to the bathroom and starts to throw up loudly, he runs in there and holds her hair, rubbing her
back, grabbing her toothbrush and letting her brush her teeth. he picks her up and throws her over his shoulder carrying her back to the room, she squeals .

Wesley: DONT’E PUT ME DOWN DAMMIT!!
she starts clawing at his back, pinching him, trying to bite him, kicking her feet in the air
flailing, and he starts laughing as she continues to have her tantrum

Dont’e: Dude stop trying to hurt me
so he smacks her hard on the thigh . so she shrieks, biting her finger trying not to scream
anymore.

Wesley: What the hell did you do that for !! you could have just told me to
stop.
he looks at her with a blank look on his face

Dont’e: Like that was really gonna stop your!!
wesley’s mother runs up stairs and bust open the door ,

Mrs. Simmons: if yall dont shut the hell up wit all that racket !!

Wesley: UGH SORRY MOM
she says sarcastically with a fake smile

Mrs. Simmons: yea yea whatever will you just keep down the noise .
she slams the door and they proceed to whatever they were doing .
he throws her on the bed, her laughing the whole time and he stumbles and fall on top of her putting his arms on either side of her face to keep his weight off of her, It became silent, their eyes locked together, his eyes flicker to her lips and she bites hers and he leans down and kisses her .
It was something she’s never experienced before as a person who’s never been kissed .
her older sister is visiting from college and she walks in on them

WInta: heeeyyy oh haha sorry, im just gonna come back another time.
welsey’s face bright red, as dont’e and winta winks at her. they sit up with him still sitting in front of her, he’s staring at her lovingly, with so much passion and longing in his eyes. she smiles at him.

Wesley: What??
he didn’t respond so she waves her hand in front of his face.

Wesley: HELLO ARE YOU OKAY !!
and he leans in about an inch away from her face and asks

Dont’e: May i ??
his breathing is becoming fast, and she leans in to kiss him again , instead this time, the kiss was
passionate, filled with emotion. He rest his forehead against hers, their eyes searching each others, and he closes his eyes and says

Dont’e: your so beautiful .
as he cups her face caressing her cheek, she sighs and leans into his touch .
he lays beside her pulling her close, wrapping her arms around him , their legs tangled.

Dont’e: go to sleep, you need your rest.
wesley peers up at him and says.

Wesley: promise you wont leave .
her eyes searching his

Dont’e: i promise, i’ll be here forever.
as hours went by, she wakes up to screaming hearing someone saying
please stop, i do anything you want, stop your hurting me !!! she hops up and she wakes up
dont’e and they run downstairs together to see her mother getting beat by her father .
her mothers on the floor as her father is stomping on her, kicking her in the stomach, dragging her across the floor. he threw her across the room into a wall.

Dont’e steps in and kicks her dad to the floor, getting in his hits while he can .
wesley rushes over to her mother trying to drag her to the bedroom , and lays her on the bed.

Wesley: Momma why did he do this to you?? Do i need
to get you to the hospital!! SHOULD I CALL THE POLICE !!

Mrs. simmons: No child no !! ARE YOU STUCK ON STUPID, DO YOU
HAVE A BRAIN CHILD !!
she slaps her child and spits in her face.

Wesley: yes ma’am (she says in a soft voice)
But momma we have to get you to the hospital…
Mrs. Simmons: LET ME BE CHILD, LET ME DIE IN PEACE
I’D RATHER DIE THAN TO BE HERE WITH YALL UNGRATEFUL, SELFISH,
DESPERATE, LITTLE BASTARDS!!!!

Wesley: YOU KNOW MOTHER, YOU’RE REALLY SAD, IM SORRY YOU DON’T SEE THE REALITY. the reality is that your so caught up in your
past and how your family treated you back then. that you can’t seem to get past that, it’s blocking your heart from seeing
the people all around you who love you and care about you and want
to help you heal your heart . AND YOU KNOW DAD WASNT ALWAYS LIKE THIS
even though he went through a lot of stuff as a kid he never took his
problems out on us, but you know you became bitter and sour
towards everyone and didn’t know how to channel your emotions that
it all took over .

And you don’t even bother to pay attention to the kid who almost
committed suicide because why you and dad never pay attention to me or any of my siblings.

her mother sat there silent, speechless, her mother’s body all the sudden becomes numb
so wesley yells for dont’e to come up and they rush her to the hospital , the nurses finally
get to her after 30 minutes. she’s in the hospital bed and she’s getting worked on, but sadly
she has internal bleeding and bruising. They wait for the doctor and as usual , the doctors says he’s gonna do everything he can to help her.

wesley head rests in dont’es chest as she’s trying to stay calm and not cry. After her little episode
of crying and all, dont’e needs to go check in on his mother and brother. he grabs her hand softly and leans in and kisses her cheek and asks her

Dont’e:  Would you like to go with me to take care of my mom and brother and make sure their okay.
she smiles and nods and they drive across town to see them both.
when they get there his brother is laying on the floor because he had a seizure while dont’e wasnt there and his mother is trying to help the special needs brother. Dont’e rushes to his mothers side and
says

Dont’e: Mom get back in bed you need some rest .
but she refuses to leave him like this, his facial expression and his tone of voice become more serious.
he tells her to GO back to bed, you arent supposed to be up. he calls the ambulance and they come to get his brother, dont’e goes in the ambulance truck while wesley insisted on staying with him mom to
run errands and such for her. so she runs to the store and uses her own money to pay for groceries, since she knows their situation.

Ms.Reynolds:AWW thank you apple dumplin, that was very kind of you.
wesley smiles and Ms. Reynolds grabs hold of her hand and says

Ms. Reynolds: You know, my son thinks highly of you , he talks about you all the time. If you ask me i think he likes you a lot or should i say loves you,
i mean (cough cough) you should see the look on his face when he talks about you, his eyes light up and he gets all fidgety and excited. He cares
about you a whole lot, probably more than he does his own family .
they both laugh at her joke.

He gets all touchy on the subject of you, he’s very protective of you when he talks. Now child i would say, if you feel the same then show him and tell him that, but don’t be too obvious or come on too quick.
she tries to hide the smile that’s going to appear on her face .

Wesley: why thank you ma’am for the advice , i’ll be sure to keep that in mind. Do you need any last thing before i go ?

Ms.Reynolds: no thank you baby!!
dont’e comes and picks wesley up and they head out to the amusement park, santa cruz beach boardwalk.

Dont’e: So how was my mom and what did ya’ll talk about today
saying as he chuckles and shook his head with a smirk .

Wesley: OH NOTHING JUST YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND ALL.

Dont’e: well what about me??
he wiggles his eyebrows and she laughs.

Wesley: Well…. shetoldmethatyouhavefeelingsformeandthatyoulovemeverymuchandthat
ififeltthesamewayishouldtellyou!!

Dont’e: OH GOD my mother just doesnt know how to keep her mouth shut.
he starts to blush lightly and she squeals excitedly, leaning over to kiss his cheek. he wipes her kiss off his cheek playfully and tells her to stop being so mushy.

Wesley: You know you dont have to be afraid to tell me these things, so do you or do you not have feelings for me MR.REYNOLDS!!!

Dont’e: he rubs the back of his neck nervously, Yes i do, i have for some time actually.
she stares at him with a smirk on her face. he looks over at her with a playful smug look, and she winks at him and blows him a kiss laughing like crazy. he smacks her arms pouting .

Wesley: aww is someone acting like a wittle frumpy wumpy baby !!
as she says pinching his cheeks.

Dont’e: whatever enough about me but the question is do you feel the same about me .
her laughter stopped and she swallowed hard , her eyes wide .

Dont’e: come on just tell me, i won’t bite .
he holds her hand looking her in the face,  just as their about to get out the
car to go inside the park.

Wesley: yyyyes. I do very much so .
he smiles and squeezes her hand to comfort her.
they talk about it for a bit then they finally go inside
hours later she’s tired and they’re headed home. they sleep at his house for the night

the next day he takes her for lunch and drives her home and she finds her father dead on the floor
so she goes into the kitchen finds a blade, sits on the floor crying
and calls dont’e , he rushes over there to find her just starting to cut herself and slowly walks over to her taking the blade out of her hand and discarding it . He waves his hand in front of her face but she wasn’t home mentally, he grabs her by the shoulders and starts shaking her and yelling to snap her back into reality .

Don’te: What was that all about !!??
he says looking at her with soft eyes understanding her pain , anger , sadness, depression and hurt .
She doesn’t answer she just starts crying and screaming and throwing things across the room , something ends up flying back her way and ends up cutting her flesh open but she doesn’t care , he rushes over and holds her , and kisses her hair .

They have this conversation about going to therapy together to try and help them get through all their problems even though they have each other .When things are all better and things are starting to look up , he asks her to be his girlfriend .

Dont’e: now bubbles you know how much i care about you and love you and i know you feel the same . i want to be here to support you and be by your side no matter what. i want to be the one who puts that smile on your face everyday , i want to be the first person you think about when you wake up, i mean besides your brother but you get what i’m tryna say. ugh im saying too much!!

Wesley/Bubbles: dont’e slow down and take your time, don’t rush what you have to say .
while holding his face in her hands and he closes his eyes and sighs .

Dont’e: i love you and i can’t put into words my feeling for you so i need to know will you be my girlfriend?
she smiles and says yes, obviously and then they cuddle before falling asleep.

They have suddenly been together for a year now and don’te finds out his mother died, he rushes over to see her in the hospital and he takes wesley along with him . The brothers have only been there for a half an hour.  He see’s his brothers on the side of the bed, their faces cold, hard and emotionless, One of the brothers had to explain to the brother with down syndrome what happened because of his mental development. He starts sobbing and dont’e walks over to his mothers bedside, letting go of wesley’s hand .

Don’te: Now momma i know you hear me, please tell me this is all just a game .
he lays on her chest and wraps his arms around her, he hears nothing , the line on the machine is flat, he starts screaming at her asking her to wake up , asking her to come back to him , saying that he still needs her . He releases her as his girlfriend comes behind him and gently removes him from her cold lifeless body, he’s on the floor crying, talking to god, as she’s by his side.

Welsey: Baby i need you to know that i’m here , i’m not just your girlfriend , im more than that, i know must of been hard losing your mom but she’s in good hands now and i know that no one can fill her place and that hole in your heart but , i pray for you every day because i worry about you and i know you do the same . I will be here always , i won’t let you go through this alone ,  refuse to let you go through this alone because i’ve been through this...all of it .

Dont’e: Thank you really i appreciate it. I love you.
he says with a weak smile and kisses her hand .

Wesley: No problem, and i love you too .

Months later his mother cremated and they throw her ashes into the water.
Because they know their momma was a faithful godly woman who put all her trust in god .

3 years later …

Dont’e and wesley decided to go on a hike and finally reached the top of the mountain , they sat there watching the sunrise, listening to the birds chirp , holding hands , him laying his head in her lap , she’s smiling down at him stroking his face . oh i forgot to mention they took a trip to cambodia together, 2 weeks went by they finally arrived home together, they drop their luggage and she hops on his backs and pretends to be an airplane as he is the body of the plane running into the house , he runs her to the couch and throws her down as she laughs. He brings the luggage inside the house and sets it in their room . They live a happy life with both his and her’s special needs brothers , her sisters comes over sometimes to help take care of them. The brothers of welsey and dont’e, end up moving in with his aunt who is married so she has someone to help her, while dont’e and wesley continue on with college.

After college is all said and done it takes 2 years before they actually land the job they want, she ends up becoming a pediatrician and he is a chiropractor, by the time they actually land the job they are 26, they had after school jobs before that of course just to be able to support themselves. He eventually decides to marry her.

Dont’e: Wesley honey, i know we’ve been together for a good long while and i love you with all my heart and soul, god i’d do anything just to have you in my life forever, i want to be the person who you wake up to every morning, i want to be able to see your beautiful face, i don’t want to be away from you not even for a minute. I want to give you all of me, i want us to become one, i don’t want to have to share you, i want you, all of you, i need you to know that your my first love and my only love, you brought light into my world well there was nothing but darkness, I love you as a whole, flaws and all, i continue to fall in love with you more and more each day. I promise to always love you, i promise to always give you my all, i promise not to give up on us, i promise to give you the world. Will you do the me the honors of becoming my wife ?

She smiles up at his tall figure her eyes sparkling , her heart filled with love , joy , peace , etc... and so gets on her toes to kiss his and whispers in his ear yes . The end