Faded colours. | Teen Ink

Faded colours.

By Pharaoh_Zaana, Johannesburg, Other
Pharaoh_Zaana, Johannesburg, Other

I've grown up just like any other "normal" teenager has. Annoying siblings, bullies etc. I've probably gone to the hospital more times then usual. I'm a "fragile flower" as my dad would like to put it.

My friends, they're awesome. Most people think they're weird, but that's mostly because of their interests. Our group is a very special group, you see. It's basically all the pansexuals, lesbians and gays in the grade. Even though there's only 12 of us, we're the people who are proud of our sexuality whilst the others who are part of  LGBT are most likely quiet. Now let me introduce you to the group:

Joshua : He's the groups "hottie". Every girl would run after him, if only he could keep his voice low and stop fanboying over every thing. His blue-grey eyes drives girls nuts but as soon as he opens his mouth, they run for the hills.

Layla: She's a Supernatural and anime geek. She's a bit on the chubby side and has pitch black hair that's really thick and curly. Also, be careful. She can steal your man and your woman.

Anastasia: She's the happy sunshine in the group. Her blonde hair and blue eyes are her key points to making her the sunshine. Although, never get her angry. It's something you never want to see.

Taylor: He's the Tumblr addict. He's the youngest, by two years although we're all in the same grade. His hair varies from a red-ish blonde to a ginger blonde. It's madness but it's really soft.

Zach: He's the reason why everyone assumes our group is "gothic" and sometimes "satanic". His taste in music ranges from heavy metal to death metal. Not that I'm complaining, him and I listen to somewhat the same things(that's how we basically met), but it gets extreme sometimes. He's an example of you should never judge a book by a cover. He goes by the motto of  "if you're mean to me, I'll be mean to you", and he's a really nice guy once you get to know him. Also, he has that whole "emo" haircut going on.  We have somewhat the "bro-code" going on, and as they say, "bros before hoes".

Jess:  Once again, the other sunshine of the group. She's possibly the most heterosexual and people question her existence in our group since she's the most "normal". She's also on the chubby side, but she's proud of it. Her light blue eyes definitely outline her brunette hair.

The Smith Twins: Mary and Mabelle Smith are two people that should never be messed with. They might be silent, but they have cameras. Camera's which should never get into the wrong hands.

In this world, we have spirit animals. Animals that live within our conscience. A person is able to see another persons animal, but through the mere shaking of hands. One can contact their spirit animal in their time of need but other then that are not to talk to it. A spirit animal can die. The only way this happens, is if a person is hurt so badly, if their emotions are ruined, that their spirit animal tries to help them, but is not able to save them. It causes such damage to a person, that not only will they suffer from depression, but they too will die. Not by suicide, but by the sadness hormones that will attack a persons heart.

Now that all of that is out of the way, it's time to move on with my story. The story of how the girl of my dreams broke me. Destroyed me. Killed my spirit animal.

Oh yes, my spirit animal is a panda.

My heart was as fragile as glass. Once she had satisfied her thirst from my pouring vessel, she had dropped it, leaving it to shatter.

•*^*^*^*^*•

"Dude! Stop staring", Zach said as he took a seat next to me on the short-cut damp grass.
"How can I? She's just so... Beautiful", I said as I turned my face away from the beauty that stood a few meters away, to look at Zach.
"You've been obsessing over her for way too long, it's getting tiresome for everyone to see you look at her like that. You're going to get hurt, bro", he said in a comforting yet warning tone.

I turned my head back to look at the beauty that had captured my heart. I was told that she wasn't perfect, her outer appearance that is. To me, she was the only girl for me. She was almost as perfect as Hayley Williams to me. She wasn't skinny nor was she fat. She was a bit "big build", and it didn't help that the school uniform had covered those glorious thighs of hers. I felt like I was blinded by some spell she may have put on me even if we've never met. I was told that she's not all that, that she had "thunder thighs", that there was more beautiful girls in the school, but I didn't see that. God. I didn't. I had my fixated on her and her only. Her red hair had suited her and how I wanted so badly to run my fingers through her hair. She had won my heart, without even knowing.

"I heard she has a boyfriend", came the voice of Jess. I was broken from thoughts as Jess sat infront of me.
"I'm not looking for a relationship", of course I am, I just want her to love me like I love her, "it'll be fine if we can just be friends", I said as I tried not to get my thoughts mixed with the words I was saying.
I reached out for my bag to take out my lunch box and sighed as I noticed that I didn't take my lunch from the counter in the kitchen. Damn it. Plus I was hungry as hell, double Biology can sometimes kill you. Two hours of learning about "human impact on diversity" with literally a 5 minute break, has some huge impact on me. Not
that I'm complaining about learning it, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the fact that humans are destroying biodiversity by deforestation etc.
Zach threw a packet of chips on my lap and rubbed his knee against mine.
"I knew you would forget", he said as he rolled his eyes. His fringe covered his eyes but I knew my bro. I opened the packet of lightly salted chips and gave Zach a shy nod to show my gratitude.

As I ate the chips in silence, I could feel everyone's stare. It was silly, but their haunting stare made me feel dirty. I knew that there actually weren't any eyes on me, but I could feel it. Maybe it was the trick of my mind, but I was convinced that I had been watched.

I looked up to see Zach and Jess arguing over something, as usual. Zach still sat beside me, but it was Jess who had been hovering about and her voice boomed about as she placed her hands on her hips.
"Quit attacking me! It was only one time and you know it. Just because you're a tiger, doesn't mean you can attack me like this. This is abusive. I say we head down to the Spirit Animal Council and get this sorted out", Jess had said. This was it. Every day, the two of them quarreled over little things and Zach would hit Jess(a gentle hit on her shoulder that is). Anyone who would see them like this would think that they're actually fighting and were enemies. In reality, they're just two friends who get along on their own pace.
"Oh shut up, peacock. Herpes will always be herpes",  Zach smirked and laughed as his head flew back.
I was about to cut in, when Josh stormed into our "area" and dropped his back. I stood up and noticed the slight change him.
"Maths killed. Double Maths!", he angrily said as he dropped his bag onto the ground.
"Loving the strawberry-blonde hair", I smirked and put out my arms to receive a hug. I received a death glare instead.
"Stop being so gay", he said and sat down. I knew he had been joking, but a tiny bit of me couldn't help but feel hurt.

I laid on the grass and looked up at the sky, the sun blinding me.
"I see black spots", I said and took a deep breath in.
"What are you smoking, bro?", Zach asked and I could feel him laying his head on my tummy. I wasn't fat but I wasn't skinny as well. There was fat there, but it was nice fat so I guess it made a good pillow.
"Nothing, I swear", I laughed it off and then began to run my fingers through Zachs hair. It was a nice feeling, since his hair was long for a guy since it reached his shoulders.
"Don't stop", he moaned in approval as he rubbed his face against my tummy.
"That sounded so wrong", I laughed and covered my eyes from the sun with my other hand.
"This looks the start of some bad porno", came the voice of Layla.  "The emo guy and his-", before Layla could finish her sentence, I groaned in disapproval.
"You've been reading and watching way too much anime and manga", I pointed out and rolled my eyes.
"I've been reading other stuff too", she pointed out and I once again rolled my eyes.
"Wattpad doesn't count", I realised that my hands were no longer running through Zachs hair but rather sitting there, idly. He soon sat up and dusted himself off. I stood up too.
"What's up with the confidence? You're so suppose to fear me", Layla said as she stared at me intensely. It was true, I did fear her. Having maths with her is the worst. She always torments me. It's a good thing that we're friends, because I'd possibly get bullied by her. I already am, but eh.
"I'm going to speak to her", I said. I had to. It was the last day and I feel that I can't go on with my life if she doesn't even recognize me. I had to pull on my big-person shoes and be brave.
The bell rang, signaling the end of break. It was pretty quickly that people had run to there classrooms, my friends too. I was slow when it came to going to classes.
It was at that moment that I saw her. The reason for my heart beat, the reason I smile, the reason the world is so beautiful. She was smiling and I just stood there. Everything else felt like a blur. I felt as if it had been only us. As she nearly walked pass me, I decided to voice myself.
"Hey!", I said and clenched my fist. This was it.
She stopped and looked at me. I stared quickly at the ground. God I was pathetic.
"I've seen you around this year and I've been too much of a coward to say this but here goes, I think you're beautiful, Claire", I had basically mumbled all that, but I hoped she had heard even a bit of it.
"Aw thank you", she said and then continued to walk pass me.
I couldn't suppress my excitement but it was only when I reached that I had realized something.

Her name wasn't Claire.

This book has 1 comment.

99halle said...
on Jan. 12 2016 at 12:43 pm
99halle, Waterford, Other

"Reality is a nice place, but I wouldn't want to live there, " -Owl City

Not sure what I think... must continue to read..