Love is just around the corner | Teen Ink

Love is just around the corner

By Cameragirl102938, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Cameragirl102938, Grand Rapids, Michigan

Author's note:

This is based of a true story about my love life. Preli and i met in a small town carnival and he and I were actually friends at the time, but he bought me the sweatshirt. He did everything for me, he remembered my brithday every year. Then mom got sick, that leaves Diana and me to cook clean and do taxes. But then Preli dies...and that changed my life forever.

Preli….Why Preli? Why did it have to be him?? Maybe it was because he was the head leader of the basketball team, Baseball team, and Football or maybe he was just a plain out bookworm. But it was just one night ago when my life changed, let me explain what I mean…..

“Maggie!! Hurry up we only have a few more minutes or we will never make it to the Carnival!”
“One. Second! I have to do this for Kera or else I will be the laughing stock of the century!” I yelled back.
“Fine, but mom said you only have 5 more minutes or else we will leave without you!”
Ugh…. Big sisters, why was i stuck with Miss Smarty-pants (A.K.A Diana)  as a big sister?!? I mean I love her and all, but her complaints are plain out rude! Anyway…… I dash out the door and practically fall down the stairs as I grab my jacket, purse, and phone, and dash out to the car.
“Wow, she finally made it….. what took you so long?? Oh wait, I know….. You were clowning around I suppose??” Sneered Diana
“Well maybe I was.” I sneered back
“Girls, Please, be nice to each other today, Okay?” asked mom, as she strained her neck to look at us.
And then there’s mom. I love her because she listens to my problems, she understands and she has probably dealt with the same stuff I am having with Diana.
“Ok, Hey Mom, Can you drop me off in the back of the tent? Kera’s mom is going to be in the carnival as well.”
“Of course sweetie.”
As she pulls in, I notice that Preli was just entering the tent
“Oh Great, Now I have to be tortured and made fun of by him.”
As I thank my mom and I walk towards the tent Kera comes flying at me saying, “You made it! OMG! You made it! I thought you weren’t coming!” She turns around and there stands almighty Diana….. “Oh look at what the cat dragged in.”
“Excuse me? For your information I can kick you off of the cheerleading team.”
“Oh! I am soooooo scared.”
“Well you better be.” She mumbled as she stomped off.
“Well you better be…… I don’t understand how you can stand her sometimes.”
“Yea me too…..”
As we walk into the tent I said I am going to go play some carnival games, She agrees and follows me. As we walk to Whack-a-mole I notice that Preli is sitting all alone……
“He deserves it….” I whispered to Kera
“I heard his dad passed away and his mom left  when he was 2 years old…..” Piped in Mrs. Anderson. “you should feel bad for him he deserves some sympathy.”
Why did I have to be nice to him?? He was the one who stole my bag last year and then the year before that he hacked into the school grades and changed my grades into all F’s. I nod and in my head I am thinking “I won’t talk to him.”
As we head over I decide while Kera is playing I will go buy a new sweatshirt.
As she played, I went to the other side of the tent  to a concession stand and asked the young man for a sweatshirt.
“What color for you mam’e?”
“Grey please.” As he reached for a grey Sweatshirt, I noticed that Preli was sitting alone, He looked depressed. As I was still staring at him, the young man broke me out of my trance.
“That will be 25.00 please.” He said with a smile.
“Ok.” As I was searching through my purse for my wallet, I was still thinking about Preli.
Dang it, I only have 20.00. I didn’t have enough and walked away. As I was walking to where Kera was, I felt a tap on my shoulder, I turned around and there stands Preli.
“Uh, I saw you wanted this and…….I……. Uh…... bought it for you.”
I was speechless, I didn’t know what to say. As I tried to pull money out of my purse, he put his hand over it and said “No need. You have a nice day.”
As he walked away Kera turns around and her mouth is wide open and she points at me and says.
“Omg, I think he has a crush on you!”
“What me? No! Besides who would like someone like me?”
I was that one girl who sat in the back of the class, wore black a lot, and was a complete and utter nerd! Why would someone like me?!?
“I don’t know, maybe he does.” As I put on my new sweatshirt on I realized it smelled like his cologne. Mmmmm, I took a deep breath through the nose and walked with Kera.
When we reached her mom I forgot to grab my purse out of my locker!
“Hey Kera I will be right back…… I forgot my purse!”
“Look at you, forgetting things. Okay, Be back to the car in about 10 minutes, my mom can be impatient sometimes.” She laughed.
I actually didn’t forget my purse, I needed to ask preli something.
After about 7 minutes I kinda gave up, Then i turned around and there he was standing in line for Dunk-a-thunk. I ran over to him and tapped him on his shoulder, he spun around and looked me straight in the eyes. I never noticed his eyes were so crystal blue, they were beautiful. I shook myself out of my daydream and asked him something he has never been asked before….
“Would you like to come sit with us during the Football game tomorrow?”
He was stunned, his face lit up and he nodded his head, and agreed.
“Awesome! We will be there at 6:30, See you there!” I said as I walked away.
When I grabbed my purse, I turned around to see Preli, he was walking away crying.
What happened?!? Was it something I said? But then his sister came over and  introduced herself and told me he was so happy. I didn’t know what to say. I told her thank you for telling me, and walked away.
As kera’s mom jabbered on and on about having us go and get manicures and pedicures for tonight I told her I couldn’t.
“Why not? We planned this for a couple months. What happened?”
“Nothing happened! I am just meeting up with someone.” I said as I dozed off.
“I don’t want to be all ‘Mrs. Snoopy’ but I think you like him.” She Said
“Like who?” I asked in a snotty way.
“You know who.”
“Yea, I know who you are talking about. But no I don’t have a crush on him.”
Secretly I hope he did.

The next morning I woke up way too early, earlier than my alarm. So I got up and sneaked downstairs to grab my phone. As I did, my mom was at the end of the hallway walking to her room. We didn’t see each other, But when we did, We Ran into each other back to back.

“AH!” Mom screamed.
“What th-!” I yelled.
We turn around and there is mom, about ready to laugh.
“ I didn’t realize that you were right there!” She laughs.
“Neither did I!” I said in return
As we were having our giggle fit, Diana comes out of her room and yells at us…
“Some people are trying to sleep here!”
“Ok Diana, Maggie and I were just getting back to bed.” She winked at me. Whenever mom winks at me, it means that something is going to happen.
As I wink back Diana is still standing there. Wow, when did she get so tall?! I felt short for once compared to her! I get back to my room and fall back into a blissful sleep.

As I woke up I took a glance at the clock.
“Oh, it’s 6:50, that’s nice. Wait, 6:50! NO!”
I get up and rush to get my clothes on and brush my hair and teeth. I head downstairs and notice that not even Diana is up, and she’s always up before me. I turn and look at the calendar. OMG……. It’s saturday. As I grug to the couch, I turn on Once upon a time.
About 20 minutes into the show Mom comes down.
“Well you’re up early. I’ll make breakfast for you and Diana.” She said as she slowly walked towards the kitchen.
“Ok, oh hey mom” I said as I jumped off the couch ”Can I go to the football game tonight with Kera and Preli?”
She turns to me and gives me that What-are-you-talking-about face.
“I invited Preli over to the football game because he is kind of at a lose right now. He needs someone to call a friend.”
“That's fine sweetie if you finish your chores before you go.”
“You are the best mom ever!” I said as I kissed her on the cheek and bounced off to go watch the rest of my show.

I was later that day that I realized that I needed to pick out an outfit for the football game. I went up to my room realizing that it’s supposed to be cold tonight. So as I walk up the stairs
I visualize what can be comfy but also suitable for the game. As I reach my room I walk in and there is my sweatshirt Preli got for me.
“I am going to wear that”
I pull that on and grab my yoga pants out of my closet and slip on my boots and head outside. Oh, did I forget to mention? Preli's aunt is picking us up. As I wait outside I get a text from Kera.
Kera: Did you hear?
Me: No what?
Kera: Preli can’t come
Me: What?!?!?
Kera: Yea he got in trouble with the police and now he is grounded.
Me: What did he do??
Kera: He punched a kid because they made fun of…..
Me: Made fun of what?
Kera: You……
Me:...........
Kera: Hello? You ok?
Me: I got to go I will call you later.

As I put my phone away and start to walk towards the house. As I enter, mom is in the kitchen making cinnamon rolls for dinner. I took a deep breath through the nose and went right to the kitchen like a cat following a ball of yarn. I sat down at the table while mom spread the icing.
“Why are you still here?” Asks mom questioningly. “Aren’t you supposed to be with Preli and Kera?”
“Well I was supposed to, but Preli got in trouble with the law. Again.”
“What happened?”
“ I don’t know.” I lied
“Ok.” She says as she sets the cinnamon rolls on the table.
“DIANA! Dinner’s ready!” Mom yelled
“Be down in a second!” She yelled back from her room
As I sink my teeth into a roll, it got me thinking that maybe, just maybe Preli could come over here and help me with homework. Nah, he’s grounded remember? And besides he can’t even help me, He barely passed his classes last year! When Diana finally came downstairs. I had already finished my CInnamon roll and got up to wash my plate off. I turn around and Diana is standing there with green all over her face.
“Oh I am sorry, the leprechauns lane is down the street and to the left.” I teased at Diana.
“Oh my gosh, look who came out of snobby avenue.” Diana sneered at me.
“Girls, girls, please I already have a headache.” Mom said as she sits on the couch.
I stick my tongue out at DIana and walk into the kitchen. As I wash my plate off, I realized that there was a letter on the counter addressed to mom. I dried my hands off and re-opened the letter

Dear Mrs. Johnston,

We are sorry to say but you have Breast cancer. Your follow up appointment is 7-20-2015.

That was all I needed to hear. I rushed out to mom.
“Why didn’t you tell us?”
“Tell us what?” Asked Diana
“I was hoping you wouldn’t find that.” Says mom as she sits up. “ I Found a tender spot on my breast and I have a scheduled time to get it checked out and removed.”
“Mom…….” I said as I shook my head. “I’m sorry for not out helping lately I didn’t know you had…….you know.”
“I know, I know I should’ve told you, I just didn’t know how to say it to both of you and I wasn’t sure if I should tell you both at the same time…….” She said as she started to cry
I came up and gave mom a hug and Diana came up with her leprechaun face and gave mom a hug too.

As I am laying down in bed I kind of cry myself to sleep thinking that I may be an orphan any day now and I couldn’t stop this from happening. And that Preli kinda saved my butt. As I drift off to dreamland one last thought came to my head, What might happen to me?

A few hours later, I hear a big THUMP……….THUMP………..THUMP!!! I get up and go to my window thinking Diana had to let Ginger out, and SHE got locked out. But as I opened my window there stands…………. Preli?!?!?!

“What are you doing here?? How did you know where I live?”
“I found your address on the school program. And besides, I wanted to give you something. Can I climb up?”
I backed away from the window….. I was still dreaming, I couldn’t be seeing Preli right there. I pinched myself but I definitely awake! I go to the window holding a long sheet and i tie it to my bed
“Ok! Come on up.”
As he climbs I realize, What am I doing?! I could be letting a stranger into my house! But who else knows the school system better than Preli? But my main question was why me? I am NOT pretty but he still chose me.
He finally got to the window and fell onto my floor.
“What are you doing here again? You’re going to get yourself killed!”
“You really think I am going to get myself killed. My brother drove me over here and my aunt is sleeping. I am ok for the moment.”
“Ok, so, I will get killed for letting you in my house then. What did you need to give me?”
“ This.” He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a glass figurine. He sets it in my hands and I turn it over. It’s a glass turtle. I look up at him and he is standing very close to me, to close even.
“I remembered  you liked turtles, I thought you would have liked this. It was my mom’s.” He said as he looked down.
“If it was your mom’s, please keep it.” I said as I hand it back.
He pushed it back towards me and nods his head. I set it on my Dresser. I turn around to say something to Preli and he is gone. He climbed outside and was heading to the car.
I climb back into bed and go back to sleep.

The next morning I woke up in a gaze to only find that Diana was in my room, crying. I wasn’t fully awake and didn’t realize what was going on.
“What’s wrong?” I said grugly
Diana came up by my bed and sat down on the floor with her back on my edge of my bed. She was still crying. She looks up at me and says something nobody wants to hear.
“Mom is in the hospital.” She said through her sobs.
“What?!” I yanked off the covers and look at my phone I texted Kera and Preli, then my phone rang from a number I didn’t know.
“Hello?”
A woman picked up in a professional tone “Hello is this the Johnston residence?”
“This is, whom may I ask is calling?”
“This is Spectrum Health Hospital and I have called to inform that your mother is going in for surgery tomorrow morning.” My stomach dropped.
“But her scheduled date was for next week Tuesday. How come she is going in today?”
The Woman replied. “I believe that your older sister brought your mom in at about…. approximately 1:00 in the morning. She was complaining of chest pain, Difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, nausea,  and dizziness. If you would like to visit her from 7:30-2:00 you may.”
“Ok thank you!”
As I take the phone away from my ear. Diana stands up and asks me what’s going on.
“We can go visit mom right now if you want.”
She looks down with a sad expression on her face.
“What is it? Whats wrong?” I asked scared
“I only have my drivers permit, I can’t have you in the car.”
Ok Maggie think what else could we do?
“Skype me when you get there I can hook my phone up to the tv and talk to you when you’re on their.”
“Ok sounds like a plan.” She says as she gives me a hug.
I hug her back and for the first time in a while, we have an actual bond.
As she drives off I hook my phone up and then Preli calls me.
Preli: Hey are you ok?
Me: Yea I am fine. Just don’t know what to think right now
“That’s understandable. Kera says Hi by the way she’s over here helping me with my homework.”
“Ok, tell her I said hi to.”
“Well gotta go. Can I come over later?
“I don’t mind as long as Diana is ok with it.
“Oh shot, I forgot about her.” Said Preli.  “What if come over with dinner for both of you tonight? On the house.”
“That’s fine. Just no pepperoni please. Diana will freak out if there is pepperoni.”
“Ok, Be there by 6 o’clock sharp.”
“Ok see you then.” I said
As soon as I set my phone down Diana called from facetime. Apparently not Skype
Diana: Mom is right here do you wanna talk to her?
Maggie: Why would I say no?
As Diana shuffled around with the phone to hand it to mom, I am scared on how she is going to look like, Would she be bald? Would she be thin? I didn’t know what to expect.
“Hey sweetie.” Mom says in a cracked-out voice.”How are you doing?”
“Thats for me to ask. How are you today mom?”
“I am fine sweetie. Just strained and drowsy.”
I breathed a sigh of relief, Mom was ok and was going into surgery just fine. In the distance you could hear Diana asking mom to talk to me. As mom handed the phone to Diana, I Saw Kera had texted me.
“I’ll be home in about an hour Maggie.” She said “I just have to wait for mom’s nurse to help her to the bathroom.”
I laughed. “What time will you be going into surgery tomorrow mom?”
“Abo-noenvnfn……..”
“Diana is mom ok?”
The screen went black.

I stared at the screen for about 5 minutes straight. What happened?!? Is mom ok? I picked up my phone and decided to call Kera.
After a couple rings she picks up.
“Hello?”
“Hey Kera is Preli still there?”
“Yea, why?”
“Can I please talk to him?”
“Sure.”
She shuffles with the phone and I finally hear Preli’s voice.
“Hello?”
“Hey Preli, Can you come over a little earlier with the pizza? I need someone to talk to.”
“Uh, Yea, I guess….. Is everything ok?”
“I don’t know.” I say as I start to cry.
“Ok, yea, I’ll be over in about 15 minutes. See ya then.”
“Ok, Bye.”
“Bye.”
I pull my phone away from my ear, for the second time today, and I turn on once upon a time. As I was watching it I was trying not to cry. But then 20 minutes later Preli is on the couch with my head on his shoulder sobbing.
“I am sorry Preli, I didn’t think this would happen.” I say between sobs.
“It’s ok, What happened??”
And the whole story spilled out. My mom in the hospital, The screen going black, being home alone. After about 10 minutes of crying, I take a slice of pizza, only to realize my favorite topping on it. Bacon. I look at Preli and he gives me a smile.
“I knew you loved bacon, And you were going through a tough time.”
I felt that urge to just hug him, but then that would be awkward.
“Thanks.”
As I bite into the warm pizza, Preli stands up.
“I have a question for you….” He says as he walks towards me
I look in his direction and he is coming closer. Oh gosh, please don’t let it be what I think it is…
“Would you like to go out with me?”
I was stunned, I didn’t know what to think… I wanted to say no, but my gut is saying yes and my heart said “go for it”. So I said “Yes”.
He gives me a hug and takes another piece of pizza. As he eats, I head to my room and grab my sweatshirt. As I take a step down the stairs I see Ginger yipping at Preli.
“Ginger down!” I yell
“It’s fine she isn’t hurting me.”
Ok, Ginger has a lot of sharp teeth and I didn’t want her to hurt him, Considering he is my boyfriend now.
“What do you like to watch?” I ask him with curiosity
“ I have never watched TV.” He mumbled
“Really? I mean not even like Curious George?”
He looked at me and I realized that he was being serious.
“Well that is going to change tonight.”
I turn on the TV and turn to channel 37, Disney channel. I sit down and he puts his arm around my shoulder. I put my head on his shoulder and snuggle up against him.

For about an hour or so, I fall asleep as he is watching Dog with a blog. When I wake up he is asleep with his head on top of mine. I look at the time on my watch and it is already 8:00. I gently nudge him and stretch as he wakes up.
“What time is it?” He asks
“8:00”
“Really?” He says without a worry
“Don’t you have to get home?”
“ I am off my house arrest, I wouldn’t be here if i was on it.” He says to me as he smiles
“Right I didn’t think about that.” I say as I smile back
“Did you sleep well for a couple hours?” He asks
“Yes that was awesome, Thank you.” I say “You were really warm.”
“I am considered a ‘heater’” He laughed
“Well I need a warm hug then.” I say as I wrap my arms around him As I hug him, the front door pops open and in walks Diana. We separate from each other and I stand up and walk to the kitchen. Diana follows me in.
“What was that?!” She asks in a mom like tone.
“We are dating now, he asked me out about…” I look at my watch “5 hours ago.” I say as I put my phone back into my pocket.
“I just……. Can’t believe I walked into my little sister hugging a guy.” She says as she flails her arms in front of my face.
I push her arms away from my face and walk into the living room to find him back asleep. I pull his arm and he falls off the couch. We fall into a giggle fit as I help him up and walk him to the door. I wait in the driveway with him. About 20 minutes later his older sister pulls in and says to him “You’re in big trouble.” He replies with just a shrug, turns around and gives me a hug and a kiss on the forehead, and plops in the front seat of the car. I wave as they pull out of the driveway. As I walk into the house, I feel a warmth I have never felt before. I walk into the kitchen and Diana is making Mac and cheese. I sit down while she stirs the noodles and pull out my phone to text Kera. She probably won’t be up, but I can still try.

After a couple of texts she finally texts me back…
“What do you need?”
“I’m sorry for waking you up, I will leave you alone.”
“It’s fine I am just working on homework and studying, what’s up?”
“Preli asked me out….”
“WHAT?!?!?!”
“Yea….”
“When?”
“Today.”
“OMG!!!!!!! You guys are going to be cute together!”
“Thanks….”
“Hey Maggie! Dinner’s Ready!” Yells Diana
“Ok! Be down in a sec!”
“I gtg, ttyl.” I text back to Kera.
As I fly down the stairs in 2 seconds flat, I sit down at the table.
Diana sets a steamy bowl of Macaroni and mashed potatoes in front of me, I look at her with a weird face.
“I know it’s a weird combination…. But mom doesn’t have anything better than this.” She says with a smile.

As Diana and I are eating, we talk about school and grades. After dinner it’s about 10:00 and we go to bed. As I try to fall asleep I hear a faint “tink” on my window, I get up and go to check it. As I open my window I come face to face with Preli. He looks at me stunned that I was in his presence. This is the second time he has came to my window without someone being there with him. I love him and all, but I really don’t want anything to happen to him while he is here. He climbs in and before I can say a word, he comes up and kisses me. Straight on the lips, my first kiss. I pull away and he is smiling.
“I’ve always wanted to do that ever since I have met you.” He says with a smile
I blush, I lean in for another one and kiss him for a second time that night, It was absolutely perfect.

Over the past 3 months, everything has been going great. Preli’s uncle hired me at his pizza place and I get the see Preli everyday. Kera had to move to a different town, But I got to spend a week over at her new house and help unpack and get her room setup. As soon as I got home from her house I got my phone out and got SO many notifications. Oh yea, Kera didn’t have Wifi over there, So I felt as if I was camping. I got 5 calls from Preli, 23 likes on Facebook, and 7 things from mom in the hospital. Yea, mom is still in the hospital right now, she had Chemotherapy, But she has 2 more weeks until she can come home. Then before school got out for the summer, Preli and I went to the football game, and I cheered him on. Our school won the game and won a award for most competitive football team! The coolest part was both of us got to walk down the red carpet they rolled out. What is the red carpet you ask? Well it’s a carpet that only special people are allowed to walk on, like people who have done things for the community and such. But anyways he got congratulated for being part of the National Honors society,  he is also part of the basketball, football, and baseball teams! I got recognized for being the president of the student body council, and being the leader of a Suicide Prevention Program. Lets just say, this is the best school year ever! After getting myself situated and getting my stuff unpacked from Kera’s house, I decided to call Preli.
“Hello?” Said A very low voice
“Hi...Is Preli there?” I ask politely. I didn’t recognize the voice
I hear someone shuffle with the phone all I could hear in the background is “It’s preli’s girlfriend, What do we tell her?”
I felt my stomach drop, What could possibly go wrong?
I heard the phone get shuffled around and now I hear an older lady's voice.
“Hi Honey, it’s Mrs. Peterson, Preli’s aunt?? How are you today?”
“I am fine, I guess, how about you?”
“Umm, well not so good. Can I ask a favor? Can you come over to the pizzeria tonight at 5:00? I have something to tell you..”
“Uh, yea… Let me talk to my sister about and I’ll call you by 4:45. Is it something about Preli?”
“I am afraid so...I will see you tonight dear. Have a good afternoon. “
Thanks you too, bye.”
As I hang up, I think to myself, is Preli ok?

“No means no….. You are going to see mom tonight, Why do you need to go to the pizzeria tonight? It’s not your work day…” Says Diana as she is putting dishes away.
“I know it’s not a work day, but Preli’s aunt said she needs to tell me something about Preli...Now if mom was here I know she would say yes..”
“Well then..” She says as she sets down a plate to look at me. “How about you call mom and see what she thinks.”
“Ok, fine!”
I storm off to my room and dial mom’s number.
“Hello?” Mom answers softly
Man, I miss hearing mom’s voice…
“Hey mom, It’s Maggie.”
“Hey Girl, What’s up?” She said groggily
“I am sorry did I wake you up? If so please feel free to hang up and go back to sleep…”
“No, no, no. I was actually just about to call Diana to see how you guys were. So whats up?”
“Well, a lot of things. But I have a question for you. Something is up with Preli, And his aunt needs to tell me something, and Diana won’t let me go see her about him. Can I go?”
“Well, I don’t mind it at all. Tell Diana I said it’s ok.”
“Omg! Thank you mom!!”
As I rush down the stairs, I find Diana on the couch reading her “Lovely-Dovey” Book for drama class. So of course, all her school stuff is taking up most of the floor. I sit down in the arm chair.
“Sooo, I will be home later tonight, I’ll walk there and back and probably will be home at about 8:00.”
“Let me guess mom is letting you go?” She looks at me with a smile
“Oh my goodness how did you know?” I say sarcastically
“Because I am psychic… I have sister super powers!” She says as she stands up and pretends to fly across through the room.

When I entered the Pizzeria, all I saw was everyone was working very slowly. Huh…. That’s odd… and I didn’t see Preli. Something is really fishy, and no it’s not the anchovies behind the counter. I turn around and there is sitting Preli’s aunt. She has her head in her arms and she sounded as if she was sobbing. I walk over to her and put my hand on her shoulder. It startled her and she looked at me straight in the eyes. I have never seen someone so sad besides the time where mom was beside herself when dad died. She stands up so quick that I barely have time to move away and wraps her arms around me and doesn’t stop hugging me. After about 2 minutes of just pure squeezes and hugs, she sits down and gestures for me to sit down.
“Is everything ok?” I ask
“I don’t….. I don’t know how to….”
All I could hear was her stumbling all her words into one and just sitting there not knowing what to say. I take her hands and she looks at me straight in the eyes and tells me the worst news of my life…
“Preli committed suicide.” She says as she all of a sudden puts her head back on the table.
I am thinking “She is just kidding with me, it isn’t april 1st right?”
She looks up at me to me just in a daze.
“Honey? Are you ok?” She said to me
“Can you please explain to me what pushed him into suicide?” I say as I look at her “Please?”
She started from the beginning. He was always bullied because of his weight. I remember that in fifth grade, people made fun of him because he never ate anything, he would try to starve himself. As she continued, All I could make out of what she saying was he got so many texts and kik messages saying “Go die in a hole fatty.” and “I am so glad I wasn’t fat like you.” As I read through his phone, I was in tears, I couldn’t think, I wasn’t thinking right. I looked up at her and she understood. She turned around and handed me the letter he left behind for me.

My love of my life Maggie,
I am sorry, I didn’t want this to happen. I knew something like this would actually happen. I still love you. And I will always look upon you. I love you more than you believe, so I left something for you up in my room. My aunt knows about this. So please go ahead and head up there when you are ready. I will miss your laugh and smile. remember the time we had a car wash fight? Here is a picture of that. I will miss your warm hugs… I love you to infinity and beyond and us always…

Love
                                       Preli

I looked at his aunt and she nodded her head. I knew what that meant. I head up the stairs above the pizzeria and open the door and couldn’t believe what I saw…

I walk into the room just utterly astounded, all around the room was pictures of us and everything we did together when he was alive.... I couldn’t believe it. I touched one of the pictures and flashed back to that day and time. It was around christmas in 2015, we were heading to the mall to buy stuff for our families and he thought it would be funny to run around the store yelling “The aliens are coming! Everybody run!” I just remember the manager escorting him out and me having to buy all the christmas gifts for his family and mine.
I took my hand off of the picture and then picked up a drawing I drew of a heart being sewed back together after someone breaks it. As I look upon everything in the room one picture stood out to me...  It was at homecoming and we had our picture taken like we were at prom. He had made me flower crown though and said I was the “fairest in the land”.
I sit on his bed and I hear a crunch under the blanket. I remove the blanket and there is a present that has my name on it. I unwrap it and about burst into tears, there was a shirt he had for football signed from everyone of his team-mates and another letter that was addressed to me.
Maggie,
I assume you already read the other letter, if not just ask my aunt for it. If you didn’t then please ask her for it and don’t read this letter. But anyways, I know you know I was on the football team….One of my teammates did this for me for my birthday a few years ago, so now I pass it to you. I want you to wear it as a memory of who I am and who I loved. My mom left me when I was about 2 years old and she never made it to any of my games. My dad on the other hand didn’t either. He was either always drunk or in jail…. I never had anyone come to my games until I met you, you came to everyone of my games and I felt love for the first time in my life. I knew that we were meant to be together. Maggie I love you so much that I didn’t know what love was until it hit me in the face. So please take this shirt as a token of our time together and I will always miss you my darling Maggie. I love you so much…. <3

Preli

I was bawling my eyes out while I was reading this. I just layed on his bed and sobbed. I was just numb from the inside and out. I never knew what love was until Preli just introduced me to it. I didn’t know what to think but all I know was I didn’t want to leave Preli’s room.

About 20 minutes later Preli’s aunt knocks on the door and comes in…
“Sweetie, your sister is here to pick you up… Are you ready to go?”
I sit up in his bed and wipe away all my tears and look at her straight in the eyes.
“Can I please have 5 more minutes? I am sorry I just need to collect myself…”
“Yea that's fine I’ll tell her that… take all the time you need.”
As I grab my items I brought upstairs, I take one last look at his stuff and grab his cologne.

As I head downstairs, Diana is sitting in a booth eating a slice of bacon pizza. As soon as I reach the bottom step everyone looks up at me… my face turns bright red and I walk towards Diana. As I sit down in the booth i take a slice from the box… but then I put it back right away.
“Everything ok?” Diana asks with concern.
“Yea, I am fine I guess…” I say as my voice drones off
Diana took the last bite of her pizza and skoochs out of the booth and grabs the pizza box.
I to, skooch out of the booth and stand up to leave. As I am about to head out the door, I turn around and kind of jog to Mrs. Peterson. When I reach her, I wrap her into a tight hug…
I let go and rush right back to the door and get to the car… When I get into the car, all i remember about this whole time I spent in Preli’s room was that he loved me for who I was, not for what I looked like or what I dress like. and that reader was true love.

It’s been about 2 months since Preli died and now I am heading off to a ceremony at the football field where they are going to play for him and another classmate. As soon as we get there, I see Kera sitting in the stands. I am bouncing in my seat just way to excited to see her and when I get out of the car I rush to pay my ticket and run up the bleachers.
“KERA!!!” I shout as loud as I can
“MAGGIE!!!” She shouts back
When we reach each other, we wrap each other in hugs and fall into a giggle fit.
“Why are you here? I thought this was your time at your stepdad’s house?”
“Well I was going to go to his house, but he said I could come to the game to see you and watch my old school play.” she says with a smile.
We wrap each other in another hug and went to where she was sitting. About 45 minutes later, the band started playing and the game was about to start. We cheer on the team as they rush out from under beneath us, Kera looks at me and points out into the field. I squint to see what they are doing and it looks like Mrs. Peterson is about to walk off the field. “Oh, yea” I thought to myself “She is the announcer of the games”
Right before the game is about to start, I hear an announcement.
“I need the following people to come out to the field please! Freddy Logan, Andersen Dunkman, Teague Macintosh, and Maggie Hard.”
I was surprised…. what was I needed for on the fields? Then they started rolling out the red carpet. All I could hear was people shouting at me to get out there, but I didn’t feel like a star tonight. Finally Kera shoved me out of my seat and pulled me onto the field. Thankfully I wasn’t seen by the stuck-up cheerleaders.
“Good luck!” Shouts Kera and runs off the field.
They motion me to come the back of the line, then everyone becomes quiet and music starts playing.
“Freddy Logan played as the head football player for 5 years in a row, he started in 6th grade and now he is wanting to become an all-star football player, congratulations Freddy.”
As they go down the list of people to congratulate. I am just thinking “What am I being congratulated for? I didn’t do anything outstanding…”
But then they reach my name…
“Go walk! Walk!” Someone shouts in my ear….
As I walk down the red carpet, all I could hear was Diana and Kera cheering me on. then the person running the intercom started to speak…
“Maggie Hard was the girlfriend to Preli Peterson, Preli wrote to her that he has never experienced true love until it hit him in the face, but then a couple months ago, he committed suicide. Maggie and him were together for about a year. So Preli wrote a letter out to all his football teammates and this is what he wrote.

Football Bros (and maggie),
I didn’t want this to happen, I wasn’t right for this world, so I give you another part of me, and that’s Maggie. I want you to treat her with respect and honor, for she is what’s left of me. I love you all as my family and I want the best for you, so i have the best seat in the house. Up in heaven. I appreciate all of what you have done for me and been there for that I have been going through, I will miss you all 
Preli

“Ah isn’t that sweet guys? But Preli also added in this that he has something for Maggie when she reaches the end of the carpet, so come on let’s give Maggie a round of applause!”
And that’s all I wanted to hear.

As I was walking down the red carpet, all I could hear was my heart thumping widely and my palms sweating like a heater was blowing on them. All around me was applause, and I can see Kera and Diana standing up and cheering me on.  When I reached the end of the carpet, there stand Mrs. Peterson, she is holding up a beautiful bouquet of roses and a flower crown. When I reach the end of the carpet, I stand straight up and look at her straight in the eyes. Then she pulls me into a hug. And she said something I will always remember.
“You’re a very brave young girl, never let anyone put you down.”
As I hugged her back, I knew I would never give up.