Unforgettable Memories | Teen Ink

Unforgettable Memories

By KaitlynB SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
KaitlynB SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

“Run Naomi, go as fast as you can!”  A voice yelled behind me.  Then bam, the horse I had been riding threw me off and I fell down the hill.  As I rolled down the side I lost consciousness. 
“Hey wake up!  You’re going to get killed like this!”  I woke up to a man yelling at me, “How can you be sleeping in the middle of a battlefield?!” 
The man looked quite young, about my age.  I am seventeen and he looked about seventeen or eighteen.  He was blonde with orange streaks and chiseled features.  He was very masculine; his shirt was cut off at the shoulders. He looked like a ninja just young and better looking.
I sat up quickly, “Battlefield?  What?!” 
He rolled his eyes, “Come here!” 
He pulled me into some brush nearby and covered both of us with a cloak.  Questions were swimming in my mind.  How did I get here?  Who is this man with me?  Is he on the side I should be on?  Where was my family?  Did I have any family to go back too? 
As I was thinking these questions he tapped me on the shoulder, “Who are you anyway?” 
I spat out my name before I could even think, “Naomi.” 
He nodded, “What side are you on anyway?” 
I shook my head, “I don’t know.” 
He gave me a look like I was stupid, “What do you mean you don’t know.” 
I shrugged, “I don’t know.  I don’t remember anything accept falling and waking up a few minutes ago when you found me.” 
He pondered a bit, “Okay I’ll take you back with me to my base, and then we’ll see what to do afterwards.” 
I shook my head, “I don’t know you.  I don’t think I should.” 
He shrugged, “Fine but if the Masaru group finds you you’re as good as dead.” 
My eyes widened, “I think I’ll go with you.” 
He chuckled, “Of course you would.  My name is Susumu by the way.” 
I smiled at him weakly, “Thanks Susumu.” 
He nodded, “Sure, we should go anyway.”  He removed the cloak and we stood up.  It was getting close to five o’clock I was guessing. 
I touched his shoulder, “Don’t you think we should hurry?  It’s getting dark.” 
He nodded, “Sure but I’ll have to carry you if you want to go faster.” 
I shook my head, “I’m perfectly capable of running on my own.” 
He chuckled, “I don’t run, I jump.”  I crinkled my brow to show my confusion. 
He held my waist, “Hold on tight.”  I wrapped my arms around his neck and he jumped into a tree that was nearby. 
I closed my eyes tight, “How do you do this and not get tired.” 
He chuckled, “Practice, but don’t worry we’re almost there.”  I nodded.
We stopped and I opened my eyes, “Are we there?” 
He let go of me, “Yeah.”  I looked around me; there were many tents and some ninjas walking around the premises.  He coaxed me forward to the biggest tent.  Inside there was a tall man with dark hair, he was tall and not very old either.  He held himself high and noble.  His dark green eyes looked straight at me when we walked in the tent.  He wore a deep purple and crimson robe.  I could tell by everything I was seeing that he was the leader of this group.  Susumu bowed and I did the same.  He got up from behind his desk and walked over to us. 
He moved his hand, “Come here Susumu.” 
He turned to me, “Stay here for a minute.”  I nodded and he went over to a corner with the leader. 
They were whispering to each other and I only caught a few words like, “Do you know who she is?  Why is she here?  She has no memory of it.”  Then they came over to me. 
The leader introduced himself to me, “My name is Yutaka Hattori I’m the leader of the Naghi people and I am twenty years old.  What is your name?” 
I bowed again, “My name is Naomi.  I am sixteen and very close to seventeen.”  I just stood there as he looked at me. 
After a few moments he spoke, “Do you remember anything.  Anything at all that would help us with the war?” 
I shook my head, “I’m sorry I cannot, I don’t remember anything.  But if I can help in any way I will.  I would like to repay Susumu for saving me.  If you could please find anything I could be useful with I will help.”  He nodded and sent Susumu out of the tent.  He sat at his desk and told me to come to him.  I walked forward and stood in front of him.  He pulled out a faded but good photo of a man. 
He held it in front of me, “Do you know who this man is?” 
I shook my head, “No, I’m sorry he does look slightly familiar though.” 
He nodded, “I don’t expect you to.  This is Masaru Miyamoto; he is the leader of the Obuganwa people.  They are trying to seize the empire of Emperor Naghi.  Do you know of him?”  I shook my head feeling more and more useless. 
He chuckled, “Don’t feel too down.  You lost your memory falling off that horse.  We don’t expect you to remember anything.  I’m glad you know your name though.  It makes things a bit easier.” 
He got up from his desk, “Last question, Do you know any of the men around him?” 
I shook my head, “Only this one look familiar.”  I pointed to a white haired man with a serious expression on his face. 
He nodded, “He is Katsumi Fuma, this red headed one is Takashi Ishkowa, the deep redheaded man is Akio Renshi, and this last man with the white blonde hair is Ryo Auna.  They are all Masaru’s men, his main guards.  If you ever see them you must tell one of us immediately.” 
I nodded my head, “Okay, but I only know you and Susumu.” 
He chuckled, “Susumu went to fetch the others you will be associating with.”  I nodded my head.
He sighed, “Okay now before I they come back I’m going to tell you who you are.  You are the ninja princess; you were taken from a family while you were young for a reason unknown to me.  You have lived with your grandfather since you were young.  It has been found that your father has found you recently and took you away from your grandfather.  From my knowledge you were taken from your father by Masaru.  Why I don’t know but for some reason he needed you for something.” 
I nodded, “Okay, I still don’t remember anything than I did before though.” 
He shook his head, “I told you I don’t expect you too.”  I smiled at him halfhearted.
Susumu came in with the other men and introduced them, “Naomi this is Satoru Kirigauri, Hajime Yagyu, Eita Staurbie, and I’m Susumu Muneri.” 
I bowed slightly, “Hello.”  I looked at them Satoru was shorter than the others but very soft looking, his hair was almost purple with a white string braided in his hair tied together with two brown beads and a deep red feather.  His robe was red, purple, and white.  It complimented his light skin and hair.  His eyes were a deep shade of brown and he looked more kind than the other two men.  Hajime looked very serious but had good posture and held himself well.  His hair was a deep brown but it was dyed blue.  His eyes were ocean blue and he wore a black and dark blue robe that matched his hair.  Eita had red hair and ice colored eyes.  He smiled at me and nodded his head.  He wore a deep green tight fitting shirt with a pair of black pants made from what looked like a robe.  Susumu was wearing a cut off shirt that was orange and red.  His orange hair was short with a lock of hair in the back that was longer.  He tied it off with white string.  His eyes were emerald colored and he had black fabric pants on. 
Yutaka stood beside me and told them all I was the ‘ninja princess’ and Susumu had found me.  It was good I was found before Masaru had taken me for a ransom. 
I looked at him, “I never asked why I was the ninja princess.” 
He smiled at he, “You have the purest heart according to the ninja elders.  So you are chosen for the position.” 
I nodded, “Okay.” 
The three men who had just walked in asked at the same time, “She didn’t know she was the princess?” 
Yutaka shook his head, “She has lost her memory trying to escape from Masaru.  She fell off a horse and must have hit her head.  She doesn’t remember anything but her name really.”  They all nodded. 
Yutaka took me back away from the men, “Be careful they don’t see many girls here often.  They are young still, as are you, you are only sixteen so be careful of them.  They may try thing that are not allowed, socialize but don’t get to comfortable and let your guard down.” 
I nodded, “I understand.”  He nodded in satisfaction and we went back to the group. 
He bowed his head, “I will take my leave for the night and go to bed.  Good evening.” 
I waved as he left the room, “Goodnight.” 
Eita was first to speak, “So where are you going to stay tonight.” 
I jumped in surprise, “I hadn’t thought about that yet.  I’m not sure.” 
He smiled, “You could stay in my tent; it’s big enough and I have plenty of extra bedding for you, unless you don’t need it.” 
Hajime shook his head, “Don’t listen to him; he just wants you to sleep with him.” 
Hajime put his hand around my shoulders, “You can stay with me though.  If you have no where to stay my place is as good as any.”  I now knew what Yutaka meant when he said they don’t see girls much. 
Satoru finally spoke up, “You two are such perverts.  Leave the poor girl alone.” 
He just stood there and Eita went on, “Well here are reasons to stay with me, Hajime is pushy and has to have everything his way.  Satoru is unsocial and unfriendly with anyone.  Susumu is too young and dumb.  So you can stay with me.” 
I smiled at him, “So what is your fault Eita?”  His mouth popped open then Satoru, Hajime, and Susumu all snickered. 
Eita shook his head to get rid of my comment and put his smile back on, “I have none, I am a good man.” 
I smiled even bigger, “Then that would be the reason for me not to stay with you.” 
He scratched his head, “That’s a reason not to stay with me?” 
I nodded, “Oh it is, this means you’re conceded.  I don’t enjoy talking to men who are conceded.”  The other three burst into laughter while Eita stood dumbfounded.  He shot a dirty look at the other guys. 
“You pick up things pretty quick don’t you?  Well I um, I think I’ll go to bed and see all of you later,” he mumbled. 
I turned to the others and before I said anything Hajime was standing in front of me, “Well what about me?  Am I okay for your standards?” 
I shrugged, “I don’t know what are your flaws and strengths?” 
He thought a minute, “Well my strengths are I’m good looking, care about fitness and health, I take care of women like yourself, and I believe that I could make you happier than the others in my house because I like tidiness and orderliness.  My down side is I can’t keep some of the women I meet away.  They just come whenever then they end up on my door step.  So if you don’t like other women taking your roommate be sure to tell me.”  He winked at me and smiled. 
I smiled back, “Well you are conceded and also a womanizer.  I’d rather not stay with you either.” 
He shoulders slumped and he walked out, “I’ll see you all in the morning.”
Satoru just stood there and Susumu smiled at me. 
I sighed, “I must pick one of you two then.” 
Susumu shook his head, “They are right I’m a bit young to be guarding you in the night.  I might fall asleep and you could be taken.” 
Satoru nodded, “This is true but you try your best Susumu.” 
Satoru bowed, “I do suggest you go with Susumu.  He will entertain you more. I don’t speak much and prefer not to.  I am too dull and have no space for you even if you were to stay with me.  I will take my leave goodnight I will see you all in the morning, Susumu, Princess Naomi.”  I looked at Susumu and smiled. 
He looked sad for some reason, “What are you sad about?  If you don’t wish for me to stay with you I will not.” 
He shook his head, “I want to take care of you I’m just worried if I fail.” 
I patted his back to comfort him, “I trust you Susumu, I believe you will do your very best to take care of me and that you will not let anyone down.  I believe this is also the chance for you to prove that to everyone around you.” 
Susumu lifted his head, “If you believe I can do it then I will try my hardest.  I will not let you down.” 
I smiled at him widely, “I know you will do your very best and that’s all anyone could ever ask for.”

He took me to his tent and set out blankets. 
I sat on them and he shook his head, “You get the futon.  I’ll sleep here on the ground.” 
I shook my head, “I’ve inconvenienced you enough.  I think that since you already took me here and are letting me stay with you that I should be the least of your concerns.” 
He chuckled, “Stay in the futon and I’ll get the floor.  I know why you were chosen for the ninja princess position now.  Please just take the bed.” 
I shrugged, “Fine but if you get uncomfortable please tell me so I can move.” 
He shook his head, “You can sleep there, as long as you’re comfortable I’m comfortable.” 
I sighed, “Okay, as long as you’re okay with it.” 
He nodded pleased, “I am.” 
We blew out the candles and lamps then went to bed.  I couldn’t sleep well and it was a bit colder than I thought it was going to be.  I curled up and tried to warm myself up but it wasn’t working. 
Eventually I fell asleep; I woke up to someone saying my name, “Naomi, Naomi.”  I opened my eyes and it was still dark, Susumu was trying to wake me up. 
I shook my head to wake up, “Yeah, what is it?  Do you want the bed?” 
He sat on the bed next to me, “No I’m fine.  You’re cold and I wanted to know if you wanted blankets or something.”  He was whispering but I could still hear him because there was dead silence. 
I rubbed my eyes, “How did you know I was cold?” 
He shrugged, “You were all curled up and shaking.  Then I heard you saying you were cold in your sleep and so I came over here and felt your head.  You’re freezing cold, you should have said something.” 
I shrugged, “I’m fine really it’s not that cold.”  He got up and sat behind me then wrapped his arms around me.  He was much bigger than me and I looked like a small child to him.  I am only about 4’11” and he was close to 6’5”.   Without noticing I instinctively curled up to him.  He was shocked for a moment then tightened his grip around me as if to protect me.  I smiled to myself thinking how misjudged he is just because he’s younger than the others.  Maybe he will look older and more mature in their eyes because he is in charge of my protection.  As I thought this my eye lids closed and I drifted off to sleep. 
When I woke up Susumu wasn’t there.  He must have gotten up before me and didn’t want to wake me up.  I got up out of the bed and put on my shoes.  I walked out and I saw dead bodies lying on the ground.  I gasped and stood frozen.  I overcame my fear and looked at a few of the bodies.  They didn’t look like any of the Naghi people and I didn’t know what the Obuganwa people looked like accept the few Yutaka had shown me.  They wore all black and their faces were covered.  They all lay face down and none were even slightly alive.  Many were missing limbs and looked almost like a massacre had happened.
I was about to go and find someone I knew hopefully Susumu, Satoru or Yutaka when suddenly someone grabbed me from behind and started dragging me off.  I instinctively reacted by grabbing the back of his neck and flipping him over my back.  He was laying on his back groaning and I was about to slit his throat with the dagger that was hidden in my clothes.  I finally slowed down enough to see it was Yutaka. 
I fell to my knees next to him, “I’m so sorry!  I didn’t know it was you I’m sorry.” 
He waved his hand, “It’s okay I should have expected you to react.  You were taught to but I didn’t quite expect you to almost kill me.”  I was still holding the dagger in my hand and I quickly put it back in the holder beneath my clothes. 
He chuckled, “I’m fine really, I just wasn’t expecting it that’s all.” 
He sat up, “I didn’t expect you to be that strong though.” 
I furrowed my brow in sympathy, “I’m sorry.” 
He laughed, “No big deal but if you could help me up that would be quite helpful.” 
I put an arm around him, “Of course.” 
I helped him up and he laughed, “What?” 
He shook his head, “How noble does it look to be helped by a woman.  In fact I never thought I would be in this position.  I don’t mind it’s just different for me.” 
I nodded, “Okay.  Well what happened here anyway?” 
He sighed, “Well take me to the main tent and then I’ll explain.”
I nodded, “Alright.” 
We got inside the tent and there was Hajime, Satoru, and Eita.  Hajime and Eita started to snicker lightly when they saw me help him inside. 
He glanced at them, “Well I guess they’re jealous huh.  Considering what I heard last night they must be sinking in their shoes with jealousy.”  He smiled at me and I giggled.  Eita and Hajime immediately shut up. 
Yutaka nodded, “That’s better.  If you want to laugh at something maybe you’d want to know what happened first.”  They nodded and Yutaka told them I had defended myself well when he had startled me.  I had flipped him over my shoulder and almost took him out.  They stared wide eyed when Yutaka finished. 
Satoru smiled, “I believe it.  That is very impressive though princess.” 
I bowed to him, “Thank you Satoru.” 
I turned to Yutaka, “Where is Susumu?”  His smile disappeared and the room fell silent.  Yutaka looked like he was thinking of the right words.  Right before he said something I stopped him, “Is he okay?  Please tell me he’s okay.” 
He shook his head, “He’s hurt.  He’ll live, but he was injured trying to kill a few men.  They were trying to get into his tent.  He didn’t want them to find you so he did something a bit unexpected of him.  He didn’t move out of the way when they threw shrunkens his way.  He was standing in front of the doorway so they hit him in the arm and leg.  Three of them just missed his face.  I ultimately killed the three and he was taken to the medical tent.” 
I stood there mouth open, “He did that for me?” I shook my head, “Forget that!   Where is the medical tent?  I have to go see him!” 
Satoru nodded, “I will take you.”  I followed him out and I was taken to a nearby tent.  I poked my head inside and Satoru told me I could go in.  I walked in and saw Susumu lying in a bed.  I bit my lip as I sat down next to him. 
He opened his eyes and took a deep breath, “Hi.”  I smiled at him weakly, “You didn’t have to do that for me.” 
He nodded his head, “Yes I did.  It’s my job to protect you.” 
I shook my head, “Ask Yutaka, he knows I can take care of myself.” 
He shrugged and then winced, “I didn’t want you to worry about stuff you didn’t need to.” 
I shook my head, “How are your wounds?” 
He smiled at me, “I’ll live so they’re good.” 
I smiled and shook my head, “Let me see them.”  He removed his sleeve to reveal a cut with many stitches on his right shoulder. 
I drew in a deep breath, “Well the good news is I remember a little bit more about myself.” 
He smiled, “Like what?” 
I smiled widely, “You’re about to find out.”  I put my hand on his shoulder and thought to myself to heal his wound.  Make him like he was before.  He held my hand as if to help me and smiled at me.  I took my hand away and looked at him shoulder, “All better.  What about the others?”  He pointed to left leg and I lifted the blanket to the cut on his thigh.  I shook my head and put my hand on another two wounds that were right together.  It healed better than what I thought it would and I looked at him, “Anymore serious injuries?” 
He shook his head, “No.” 
I put my hand on his face, “Well then you have these three here and then you can get out of here. 
He stopped my hand, “Can you let them scar?” 
I shrugged, “I can, but why would you want to do that?” 
He shrugged, “I like the idea.” 
I sighed, “Okay.  If that’s what you want.  If you change your mind just ask.”  I healed the three slices and got rid of as much pain as possible.  You could tell where he was hit quite easily.
He sat up and got out of the bed, “They don’t even hurt.  But how in the world did you know you could do that?” 
I shrugged I just remembered a little now.  I guess the sleep helped.” 
He nodded, “I guess it did.  How much more do you remember?” 
I thought for a minute, “I remembered a few things like I could heal people and myself if I wanted to.   I also remember what I was running from when I passed out and who was yelling to me.  I was running from Masaru and his men.  My grandfather was telling me to go and get away from them.  I remember I fell off the side of the hill and hit my head on a rock and that’s how I lost my memory in the first place.  I also remember my grandfather’s face and voice, that’s about it though.” 
He smiled, “That’s good it’s coming back.  What happens when it all comes back though?  Will you leave us?” 
I shrugged, “I don’t know.  If my family is still out there I might, but I will visit when I can I promise you that.”  He nodded happy with that answer.  With that we went to the tent to join the others.
Yutaka was the first to notice that Susumu felt fine, “What happened to you?” 
He c***ed his head, “What do you mean?  I feel great.” 
Yutaka chuckled, “That’s what I mean.” 
He shrugged, “Nothing.”  He must want to keep it a secret I guess.  If he does that’s fine, it doesn’t affect me. 
Yutaka looked at me, “Well what happened.”  I shrugged just as Susumu did and sat down on a chair close to me. 
Yutaka shook his head, “Susumu it’s an order.  I have to make sure you are fully capable and functioning.” 
I nodded, “Trust me he’s fully functioning.  He might even be more capable than usual.” 
Yutaka nodded, “You have to tell me what that doctor gave you.” 
Susumu smiled, “Doctor did whatever a normal doctor would do.  Naomi actually did this for me.”  I blushed a little knowing I could be of service to them. 
Yutaka’s face went serious, “What happened?”  I figured I should tell him now. 
I put a serious face on, “I remembered a few things I guess sleep helped that out.  I remembered who my grandfather was.  Why I fell and lost my memory and that I have the power to heal others and myself.” 
Yutaka nodded, “Your grandfather must have had you practice you power often then.  Not many of the princesses can accomplish a power quite that high.  Even if they can, they feel very tired and weak afterwards.” 
I shrugged, “I feel fine.” 
He rested his chin on his hand and nodded happily, “Well now that is settled.  We have to move to the next item of business.  Naomi you won’t be staying in a tent with Susumu anymore.” 
I looked at him confused, “Why’s that?  I think he did well protecting me.” 
Yutaka shook his head, “That’s not the issue.  He did very well, but this wasn’t an attack though they would kill anyone in their way.  They were here to retrieve you.  So I need you to tell me everything you remember now.” 
I nodded, “Alright well I remember my grandfather’s face and voice.  I remember small bits of where I live, like pictures of what it looks like.  I remember him yelling me at me to run and get away at all costs.  Masaru was after me and that’s why I was riding that horse.  When it got frightened and threw me off I was rolling down the hill then lost consciousness when I hit a rock on the way down.  Then I remember pictures of me healing animals and my grandfather with cuts and broken bones.  He encouraged me to heal them, there were small snippets of me actually healing them.  That’s all I have for now.” 
He nodded, “I think your memory is coming to you as it sees fit.  For what reason I don’t know but I think it has something in store for you.”  I nodded and smiled. 
He nodded in return, “You’ll be staying with me and Susumu from now on.  My tent is plenty big enough for both of you.  In the evening Susumu will watch you while I sleep and I will watch you in the day while Susumu sleeps.” 
I nodded, “If it’s no trouble to you then that is fine with me.” 
He smiled, “Good then it is settled.”
That’s when I finally realized the others were checking Susumu out.  They were looking at where there used to be scratches, bruises, and injuries that would and should be scars. 
I looked at them confused, “What’s wrong with you guys?” 
They all looked at me and Hajime spoke, “How did you do that?  It’s like they were never there.”
I giggled, “If you find a scratch or scar you want me to heal I’ll show you.  I prefer it to be somewhere appropriate.”  They all nodded, even Satoru and Yutaka wanted to see this. 
They all found one and Hajime went first.  His was a scar on the left side of his chest that wasn’t very extensive but still worth attention.  I used both hands to heal it faster one hand at the start of the scar and one at the end of the scar. 
I smiled at him, “Are you ready?” 
He nodded, “Yeah.” 
Then he grabbed one of my hands, “Wait…does it hurt?” 
I giggled, “No not at all.” 
He sighed, “Okay.”  I put my hand back on his chest and began my heal thinking.  I finished and I looked at him he smiled then winced. 
I looked at him curiously, “What’s wrong?” 
He touched his mouth, “My mouth is injured.” 
I laughed, “You’re fine.”  He frowned, “Dang.” 
I looked at Eita because he was next; his was a small injury from earlier.  It was a cut from a sword on his right shoulder and it was just a quarter centimeter deep.  I put my hand over it and he held my free hand while I healed his shoulder.  When I finished I looked at it and it looked like it was never there. 
He sighed, “I thought it would hurt.” 
I shook my head, “I told you it doesn’t hurt.”
Satoru sat next to me and removed his shirt. 
He pointed to his back, “I don’t consider that scar very flattering.” 
I looked behind him, “Oh.”  It was a longer scar than I expected from him since his precision is so good. 
I c***ed my head, “How did you get this?” 
He was silent and then he sighed, “I was on a mission once and this was my torture for being a spy.”  The battering looked like it was given by a whip.  I felt the marks his skin was split and frayed.  It wasn’t just one hit, it was many pain filled strikes.  I touched his skin very lightly to remove the marks.  Then I put my hands on his back to remove any internal damage there may have been. 
When I finished I looked at him, “Why didn’t you have it treated?” 
He shook his head, “I don’t believe in doctors unless I’m dying or missing a limb.” 
I shook my head, “Well you could have very well died for not having it treated; infection is just as bad as blood loss, it’s just slower.  Take better care of yourself.” 
He nodded, “Of course princess.” 
I turned to Yutaka who was last he has a scar on his chest that went from his right shoulder almost all the way to his waist.  When he removed his shirt I looked in surprise.  I quickly looked down so no one saw my face get so red.  He was much more muscular than the others.  His robes were looser than the other men’s so I never noticed until now.  I put both hands on the scar because of its more vast size then the others. 
He chuckled, “Your hands are cold.”  I blushed a bit as I smiled, so I didn’t look at him and I brushed my hair into my face. 
The other men cleared their throats, “We should go and clean up the bodies.”  They all left but Susumu lingered in the doorway just a bit longer.  I glanced at him and then he left.  I put my hands back on Yutaka’s chest and I felt the heat from his body.  The warmth from him felt nice in the spring weather.  I refocused myself and healed his scar. 
He looked down at it, “I expected a bit of pain.” 
I shrugged, “I told you it didn’t hurt at all.” 
He smiled, “Well I’m glad it doesn’t hurt but how did you remember it didn’t?” 
I thought for a moment, “One of the clips in my mind showed me when I cut myself with a sword blade.  My grandfather was training me and I cut my leg.  I needed medical attention but the hospital is far away from where we live.  I healed myself and there was no pain.” 
He nodded as I finished my story, “Well I’m glad you weren’t hurt badly.  It would have been a shame to have scared such pretty skin.”  I finally realized I was still in my pajamas.  They were purple with white and pink cherry blossoms. 
I blushed, “Sorry I didn’t exactly have time to change.” 
He chuckled, “Its fine.  Maybe you should change though.” 
I was about to walk out and get some clothes but he called to me, “Naomi!” 
I turned around, “Yes?”  He tossed me some clothes. 
They were woman’s clothes, “Thank you.” 
He pointed to a changing board, “Thank you.”  I changed and came back out.  I bowed to him and took my leave to see Susumu.

As I was on my way back I saw all the bodies were gone and no debris was left.  I looked around and I couldn’t even see where they put the bodies.  I walked to Susumu’s tent without incident and he was lying in bed.  I walked over and saw he was sleeping; his long blonde eyelashes lay perfectly on his cheeks.  He looked almost doll like and it made me smile without realizing.  I softly moved the hair away from his face and covered him up.  It was only one o’clock but I figured he was tired after fighting and cleaning up afterwards.  I felt like I had a brother, he was very kind and took care of me well.  I smiled at the thought of him being so nice to me.  Even from the beginning, before he knew who I was.  The question was would he feel the same when he found out who my father was.  I had the sinking feeling my father didn’t take me away from my grandfather for safety purposes.  As I pondered these things I cleaned the tent space.  Susumu’s clothes were on the ground and getting dirty.  I looked at him once more before heading out to take the clothes to the nearby river to wash them.  I walked out quietly so I didn’t disturb him. 
I stopped by Eita’s tent and asked if he wanted me to take his also.  I peeked inside his tent and he was sleeping too.  I pick up the clothes and put them in the basket.  I went to Hajime’s and it was the same way, as was Satoru’s.  Last but not least I stopped by Yutaka’s tent. 
I peeked inside and he was sitting at his desk, “Yutaka, would you like me to take your clothes to the river to be washed?” 
He turned around, “Yes I would, thank you.  Is Susumu coming with you?” 
I shook my head, “No.  All of them are sleeping.” 
He nodded, “He’s a good kid, but he should be watching you during the night so your fine, but I should go with you.” 
I shrugged, “It’s fine really.  He was up late last night anyway, he didn’t get much sleep.” 
He nodded, “Why is that?” 
I lowered my head, “It’s my fault.  I was cold and he heard me talking in my sleep so he woke up.  He woke me up to make sure I was okay and then helped me sleep better.” 
He thought a moment, “Susumu did that for you?” 
I nodded, “Yes.  He’s a good guy and I think he’ll go very far as a ninja.” 
Yutaka smiled, “I think he will too.  May be I should go with you then so he can sleep.” 
I shook my head, “I’ll be fine really I don’t want to trouble you.” 
He shook his head, “I insist, you must be kept safe and I don’t want any stray men jumping you at the river and taking you away.” 
I bit my lip, “Okay.  If you are really sure it’s okay.” 
He nodded, “I absolutely think I should go.” 
I shrugged, “Okay.”  We walked to the river nearby and sat next to the edge.  He handed me the cloths and I washed them.  We didn’t speak much just a few exchange of small words.  Though for some reason I felt very happy he came with me.
Suddenly I heard yelling and there was brush moving.  Yutaka grabbed me and jumping into the nearest tree. 
He held me close, “Be quiet and stay still.”  We sat there for just a few minutes when I heard what they were yelling.  They were yelling for me, they were saying my name.  I covered my mouth with my hands and watched.  Yutaka heard it too and pulled me even closer.  One of the men came into view then two more.  They looked at the clothes then started talking to each other. 
One of the men spoke, “We need to find her or the boss might just cut our heads off.” 
The second man nodded, “This is true.  I heard he went into a rage when he lost her.  If we don’t find her he might take some f it out on us.” 
The third man just shook his head, “No he won’t.  He gave me a letter to give to their leader that all we want is her then the war will end.  We only use the letter as a last resort because Masaru will have to meet with the Naghi leader if we don’t find her.  He doesn’t want Naomi to see the Naghi leader, Yutaka, for some reason.  He said something about the leader being in her future.” 
The first man nodded, “I heard Takashi say he would kill the Naghi leader if she even saw him.”  My heart started beating faster and I clung to Yutaka. 
The second men put his hand up, “Well stop chatting and let’s find her then.  The more we talk there is more of a chance she will wander into the wrong hands.”  The others nodded in agreement and they ran off.  We waited for at least fifteen minutes and Yutaka climb out of the tree. 
He held his hands up, “Jump, I’ll catch you.”  I nodded and jumped out of the tree. 
He caught me and I couldn’t hold it in anymore, “Yutaka this is entirely fault!  This whole war is because of me, did you hear them?  Did you hear what they said?  They said that Takashi would kill you if he saw me with you.  I can’t let anyone else die, I just have to let them come and get me.  It will be easier for everyone else if I just go to him.  I can’t let anyone else suffer.” 
I was on the verge of tears and couldn’t stop saying things, “I mean look at the trouble I’ve caused you already.  This is terrible I have to leave or you all will pay the price for me.”  Yutaka was trying to quiet me and kept telling me to calm down but I wouldn’t have it. 
He stopped trying to be gentle with me, “Enough!” 
I stopped immediately and looked at him and he wiped the tears away from my cheeks, “Listen, this is not your fault and you won’t have to go to him.  I won’t let you leave us so he can stop this war.  I will fight to keep you safe and so will all the rest of them.  I’m not afraid of Takashi and did you hear the part where he said I was part of your future?  If I’m part of your future then so are my men.  That means we all live and you will be fine.” 
I nodded and tried hard to stop crying, “Okay.  We should go back to camp then.” 
He nodded, “Yes we should.”
We picked up the laundry and were on our way back when we heard the brush move.  He set the laundry down and we jumped into another tree. Yutaka pulled out his sword and right as he was about to jump at it I grabbed his arm. 
I whispered at him, “That’s not Masaru’s men.  That’s Satoru and Susumu.” 
He looked at me, “How do you know that?” 
I smiled, “I just do.  They’re looking for us, I saw it.” 
He nodded, “Satoru and Susumu know my call when I want them to come to me so I’ll try it to be sure.”  I nodded and he made the sound of a bird.  It sounded quite beautiful and when he finished we sat and listened.  We heard the same noise come from where the possible threat would have been. 
Yutaka sighed, “Okay it’s safe.” 
He looked out from the tree, “Susumu.  Satoru.”  They came out from the brush and looked up at us. 
Susumu waved at me, “I’m glad you’re okay. I almost had a heart attack when I couldn’t find you.  Then I saw Yutaka was gone and I almost flipped.”  Yutaka jumped down from the tree and Susumu jumped up. 
He held me and jumped down, “See there you are, safe on the ground.” 
I shrugged and mumbled under my breath, “I think the tree was safer.” 
He c***ed his head and looked at Yutaka, “What’s up with her?” 
Yutaka took a deep breath then put his leader expression on.  I liked his leader expression, but I preferred the happy laid back Yutaka. 
He handed the basket of laundry to Susumu, “We’ll talk when we get back to camp.  For now take this back and distribute it to the other men.  Then tell Eita and Hajime to join the rest of us in head tent. 
He nodded, “Of Course.”
Satoru and Susumu jumped into the trees and then were gone. 
Yutaka looked at me, “Do you want to go with them or walk back?” 
I shrugged, “Whichever is more convenient for you.” 
He smiled, “You know that means tree jumping right?” 
I shrugged, “I don’t care.” 
He pressed his lips together and put his leader face on, “Right, well we’ll get back faster if we jump trees so you have to hold on tight.” 
I nodded, “I know.  Susumu showed me.” 
He smiled, “Oh okay, hold on.”  I liked tree jumping with Yutaka better.  He went through the trees smoother and he held me a bit better.  I guess I should expect him to be better otherwise what’s the point of him being the leader if he is no good. 
We got back to the tent and Susumu was already there. 
Yutaka looked at him, “Where are the others?” 
He looked at me then Yutaka, “There on their way.  There was a slight set back.  One of Masaru’s men was snooping around the tents and they took care of him.  They will be here any minute.” 
Yutaka nodded, “Okay.” 
When the other three came back everyone was on their toes. 
Yutaka got everyone’s attention, “When you all were sleeping Naomi took the liberty of cleaning your laundry.  Be sure to thank her later, but the reason I called you in here was because we have collected more information.” 
Satoru put his hand up then spoke, “Where is this information coming from?” 
Yutaka nodded, “Good question.  It came from Obuganwa soldiers.” 
Eita raised his hand, “Why would they tell you anything?” 
Yutaka shook his head, “They didn’t we heard them talking.  I jumped into a tree with Naomi and they stood right beneath us.  When they were talking we were listening.  Anymore questions?”  They all shook their heads. 
Yutaka nodded, “Okay then.  We heard them speaking about the war.  The reason for it is they want Naomi.  They said that Masaru would end the war immediately after Naomi was given to him.  They were a search party to find her in fact and they said Masaru has a letter for us if they don’t find her.  The just of the letter was he would end the war if we gave her to him.  We are a part of Naomi’s future for some reason and Masaru doesn’t want that to happen.  If they find her here they will try and kill us all, specifically me.  Takashi will make my death his personal mission in fact.  So we must protect her at all costs.  There is no way I will let her be taken and I want to know what you think.” 
They all shook their heads and Satoru came forward, “I will do all I can to keep her safe.  I think we should have more shifts though.  Now that we know exactly what they want we must be alert at all times.  I say we switch guards every five hours.  While one is protecting her the ones are not sleeping should keep the other soldiers in line and keep the place up.” Yutaka nodded, “I like this idea but not everyone said they would help yet.”
Eita, Hajime and Susumu stepped forward, “Yes sir.  We will do all we can.” 
He smiled and nodded happily, “Good then Satoru’s plan works perfectly.  Now we need to figure out whose shifts are at what times.” 
Yutaka looked at Susumu, “You will start your shift after the meeting, it will be five o’clock and your shift will end at ten.  My shift will start afterwards from ten to three, then Satoru you will get three to eight.  Hajime you will start at eight and end at twelve.  Eita you get twelve to five.” 
They all nodded, “Yes sir.”  He smiled, “Naomi will stay in my tent so we don’t have to move her all the time.  It will make it easier on all of us.  Does everyone agree?” 
They all nod and Yutaka looks pleased, “Good.  You are all dismissed to your stations.”  Susumu stayed and Yutaka took us to his tent. 
He let us in and turned on the lamps, “This should do it.  I have things to finish.” 
He was about to walk out when he stopped at the door, “One more thing and I will tell the others.  I’m sorry Naomi but you are not allowed to the leave the tent under any circumstances.” 
I nodded, “Okay.”  He nodded to us and then left.
Susumu seemed less tense when he left.  I wrote what happened today on paper then organized papers and put away clothes.  I had to find something to do because it was only nine o’clock and I wasn’t tired.  I finally gave up and sat down. 
Susumu sat down on the grown right next to me, “Are you scared at all Naomi?” 
I shook my head, “No.  I believe you all will take care of me.  I mean I feel bad that I put you all in trouble and then put this burden on you but I’m not scared of what could happen if I believe it won’t.  Fear is the worst thing anyone can think of.  If you have fear then bad things are more likely to happen because that’s when people slip up.” 
I looked at his face, “Are you afraid, Susumu?” 
He shook his head, “Not at all.  If nothing else I need to be fearless and confident for you.  If I show fear then that would worry you wouldn’t it?” 
I nodded, “It would.  You know I think you are a good ninja, I should speak to my grandfather and the elders when I can so I can tell them about you and Yutaka.  Maybe they would give you a promotion or something.” 
His eyes sparkled, “Really?  You would do that for me?” 
I nodded, “Yes.  If it weren’t for you I might be in Masaru’s hands right now.” 
He thought a moment, “Yeah.  I guess you would.  Anyway are you tired?” 
I shook my head, “No, it’s only five o’clock and thanks to you I had a good night sleep last night.” 
He smiled, “Thank you, I mean I’m glad I could help.” 
I smiled back at him, “Well are you tired?  If you are I think I could help you stay awake.” 
He sighed, “I am a little but that’s because of all the fighting and stuff I’ve been doing.” 
I nodded, “Well give me your hand.”  He held out his arm and closed his eyes. 
I giggled, “What are you closing your eyes for?” 
He opened them, “It this gonna hurt?”
I shook my head, “No, I’m just going to give you a small energy boost.  With the same energy I healed your wounds.” 
He smiled, “Oh, that actually felt really nice and relaxing.” 
I smiled, “I’m glad.  Okay well are you ready?” 
He nodded, “Yep.  Totally ready.”  I gave him a bit of extra energy and then let go of his hand.
I looked at him, “Why do all of you expect it to hurt?  I would never hurt you guys.” 
He sighed, “We’re used to pain.  Training, fighting it all hurts.  I don’t think there is ever a time we don’t feel pain.  Until now I mean, you take all the pain away.”  
I smiled, “Thank you Susumu.” 
He smiled at me, “For what?” 
I smiled at him, “For your kind words.” 
He shrugged, “It’s nothing big really.  I can never talk like this to the other guys because they think I’m soft and wimpy.” 
I shook my head, “Well you can talk to me whenever you want after all this settles down.  For now we can talk when it’s your shift.  Trust me Susumu one day you’re going to make a woman very happy with those words.” 
He looked down then back at me smiling, “What about you?” 
I c***ed my head, “What about me?” 
He held my hand, “Can I make you happy with those words?” 
I smiled at him, “You already do Susumu.” 
He frowned then smiled, “No I mean really happy.  I like you Naomi and I want to make you happy.” 
I looked at him shocked, “Susumu I appreciate your words and I’m flattered truly but I can’t be with you.” 
A gloomy feeling fell onto his face, “Why not?  Do you like someone else?” 
I shook my head, “No but I can’t be with you I don’t know what man is in store for me.  I’m only sixteen and I shouldn’t marry yet.” 
He pressed his lips together, “Naomi, I’m eighteen it doesn’t matter how old you are.  I’m begging you to please just think about it.” 
I shrugged, “I just can’t, I don’t think it’s right.” 
He furrowed his brow, “I can understand that, but I can protect just as good as anyone else could.  I don’t think that it would be a big deal if we ran away now.  If we ran far enough no one would ever find us.  If they can’t find you then they can’t hurt you, please I want to be with you.” 
I shook my head about to cry, “I can’t, I’m not allowed.” 
He looked at me in surprise, “What do you mean you’re not allowed to marry?” 
I shook my head, “I just can’t marry you.” 
His shoulders slumped and he looked down, “Why?” 
I Pressed my lips together, “Because I…I remember something else.” 
He frowned, “You aren’t married are you?  Yutaka would know if you were.” 
I shook my head, “I don’t know who but I remember someone telling me that I would be marrying Takashi on my seventeenth birthday which I remember is in six days.” 
He punched the ground beside him, “You can’t marry someone like him!  He wouldn’t treat you right at all.  You would just be his possession not his wife.” 
He looked as he would cry and I hugged him, “I’m sorry Susumu, but I can’t put you in that danger.”

I quickly let go of him when I heard someone outside.  Yutaka came in and looked at Susumu who had quickly pulled himself together.  He nodded to Susumu something didn’t look right though, he had his leadership face on.  Susumu stood and bowed to Yutaka then left. 
Yutaka looked at me icily, “Why aren’t you sleeping?” 
I shrugged, “I’m not tired.” 
He shook his head, “That is no excuse!  You should be asleep it’s already ten thirty.” 
I c***ed my head, “So you were late?”  He pressed his lips together, “No.  I heard you two talking when I was outside the door.  That’s not the issue!”  I gasped, that must have been why he looked so upset. 
I looked at the ground because I couldn’t face him, “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you.  I thought if I did you all would hate me for it.” 
He sighed then sat next to me, “That is no excuse for not telling me.  If you didn’t want to tell the others that’s fine, but you should have told me.” 
I still couldn’t look up, “I’m sorry, I know I should have.”
There was silence for a long while and I couldn’t take it anymore. I finally looked up to see what he could be doing.  Before I lifted my head he hugged me tightly and stroked my hair.  I was shocked and didn’t know what to do so I just hugged him back. He loosened his grip so I thought he was going to part from me but he didn’t.  He moved back for just a split second before he leaned over and kissed me.  I instinctively pulled back but his arms were still around me and he didn’t move an inch.  His kiss was forceful at first and then gentle and loving.  I enjoyed it but realized it was wrong to be doing this.  It was wrong to that here and now.  If Takashi found out he would kill him for sure and I couldn’t let that happen.  I moved my head to the side because I couldn’t move backwards. 
He leaned back and tried to look at my face, “What’s wrong?” 
I took a deep breath, “We can’t do that.  Even if we wanted it would be wrong.  I’m only sixteen what would he elders say, this has tainted some of the purity in my heart.” 
He shook his head, “I already consulted the elder, that’s why I was a bit late, then I listened to Susumu and you talk for awhile.  The elders said I was indeed in your future but not as someone to save you.” 
I looked at him puzzled, “Then why would you be in my future?” 
He smiled softly at me, “The reason Masaru and Takashi don’t want you near me is because I am the one who you are to be with.  They said it’s happening a bit earlier than it was supposed to because I was consulting them about it.  This answers why I feel so much different around you.  I feel like the world around me has vanished and that I could accomplish anything.  I want you to be happy though, if you want to wait for our time that’s fine but don’t expect me to love you any less.” 
I puffed some air out of my lungs to relax a bit, “If the elders accept us then it is fine with me.  I do want the war to end though, if Takashi or Masaru found out then they would most likely kill you.” 
He sighed, “There is one small secret I have to tell you that no one else knows.” 
I nodded, “If you trust me I will hear it.  I will think no less of you.” 
He smiled then put on a more serious face, “Takashi and I have known each other for a long time.  We were actually childhood friends, then the day came for us to be given a gift.  It was given to me and I wasn’t sure what it was.  I know now and Takashi knew then and hates me for it.” 
I hugged him, “I’m so sorry.” 
He sighed, “The gift was your future.  The gift meant I was going to be the one that fell in love with you. Takashi knows it and doesn’t want that to happen.  The war is one he started, he told Masaru and I don’t know why he cares but he led the army to get you as far away from me as possible.  When I found out I started my own group and when the day comes Takashi and I will meet again and we will fight probably till the death.  If that does not come then it means you have already been married to him.  I can’t let that happen.” 
I looked at him full of sorrow and I felt my heart would break, “You were not angry that I didn’t tell you about Takashi you were angry that Susumu has feelings for me.  I ask you do not punish him for it because he is my friend and I don’t want to hurt him.” 
He shook his head, “I will do no such thing.  If I can prevent it I will and I hope he doesn’t try to go further with the discussion because it will anger me if he does something to you.  If he doesn’t touch you, I will not say anything and I give you my word on that.” 
I nodded, “I will take that very seriously.” 
I relaxed while sitting next to Yutaka and finally sleep crept over me. 
I yawned, “Yutaka?”  He looked at me and seeing my sleepiness picked me up into his arms. 
He was so much bigger than me and I felt like a child, “You should sleep Naomi.  You want to have all the energy you can for the day tomorrow.” 
I curled up to him, “What about you?” 
He chuckled softly, “I will be fine.”  I still felt like I could help him so without telling him I gave him a boost of energy so he would feel better during the day.  As I drifted into my sleep he picked me up and laid me in the bed.  I saw him blowing out the lamp light and then he sat next me.  He leaned over and kissed my head.  After that I fell asleep. 
When I woke it was still dark and I sat up.  I looked around and saw Yutaka sitting next to me. 
He looked at me, “You should go back to sleep it’s only midnight.”  I nodded then realized the reason I awoke was because I was cold. 
I looked at him again, “I can’t.” 
He looked up from a book he was reading, “Oh, and why is that?” 
I shrugged, “I’m cold.”  He put the book down and took off his outer robe.  He draped it around me and then held me in his arms. 
I looked up at him, “Now you’re going to be cold.” 
He chuckled softly, “Seeing you sleep was making me quite warm.  I’m sure I’ll be fine and if I get chilly all I have to do is look at your happy dreaming face.”  I blushed and hid my face in his chest. 
He chuckled and lifted my head, “You don’t have to hide your face, and it looks very attractive when your cheeks are rosy.”  That made me blush even deeper and he kissed my forehead. 
He stroked my hair, “Go back to sleep my dear.”  With theses soft words and his warm touch I fell asleep. 
I woke up again just as Yutaka was getting ready to leave, “Bye.” 
He turned around, “I didn’t expect you to get up.” 
He walked over to me and hugged me, “I’ll see you in a few hours to check on you.  Try and sleep a little longer it’s only three o’clock in the morning.” 
I nodded, “Yutaka?” 
He looked a bit unhappy, “Yes?” 
I smiled trying to cheer him up, “I have just two questions.  One, are we going to tell the others about us?” 
He shook his head, “It’s a bit of dangerous information.  I can’t let my men carry that.” 
I nodded, “Okay and then second question is, why do you look so unhappy?” 
He sighed, “I really don’t want to leave you here with anyone else.” 
I nodded, “You have nothing to worry about.  They will take care of me.” 
He smiled, “Alright, I will have faith in them.  I will see you in a little while.  Get some rest till then.”  I smiled as he walked out of the tent doorway.  I laid my head down and I faded back into my sleep still holding the robe Yutaka let me barrow.  It smelled like him and made me comfortable.
When I woke up the next time it was morning and I looked around, it was about eight o’clock in the morning.  Satoru was sitting beside the bed reading a book and he looked over at me when I sat up. 
He smiled as he put the book down, “Good morning.  Look who woke up finally.” 
I smiled at him, “I was up late sorry.” 
He shook his head, “Susumu wouldn’t stop talking about you this morning at breakfast.” 
I bit my lip, “What did he tell you?” 
He laughed, “If you’re asking about how you turned him down because of Takashi.  Then he told us.” 
He chuckled, “We’ll protect you if that’s the reason you won’t be with the poor boy.  He’s having a terrible time trying to get over it, he really likes you Naomi.”  That put me on a guilt trip and my morning was shot to pieces.  I sank back into my bed and covered my face with the blankets. 
Satoru touched my shoulder and he sounded more serious, “There’s more than one reason you can’t be with him isn’t there.”  I nodded as I brought my head out from under the covers. 
He shook his head, “Is it because you’re the princess?” 
I shook my head, “No, a way bigger reason than that.” 
Satoru sat contently, “Like what?” 
I bit my lip, “I don’t know if I should tell you?” 
He smiled, “I could ask Yutaka, he’s a terrible liar.  I can see right through him when he tries to cover something up.  He can lie to others but not to me, I know what to look for.” 
I sighed, “Fine.  Yutaka told you I wasn’t supposed to see him and that’s why the soldiers are looking for me right?” 
He nodded and I went on, “The elders said it was sooner than expected but I’m technically supposed to end up with Yutaka.  That’s why they want me to marry Takashi, if I marry Takashi he could keep me isolated and people away from me.  If Takashi and the others found out I was here then they will kill Yutaka and all of you, or at least they would try.  They would eventually take me away from all of you, which I’m sure of.  That is the point of this war and the only way the war will stop.” 
Satoru nodded and thought through things quickly, “Well that means Susumu has no chance with you.  It also means we are in greater danger with you with us, but we have the advantage because we have you.  I will have to tell Yutaka my newly devised plan.” 
I nodded, “He said he’d come see me later if he had the time.” 
Satoru smiled, “Now that I know this, I know he’ll come every time he’s free.  I’ll know where he’ll be at all times.” 
I rolled my eyes, “In your dreams, I doubt he would be here every time.  He’s very respectable and wouldn’t leave his job to see me.” 
As soon as I finished my sentence Yutaka walked in, “Hello Naomi.” 
I smiled at him, “Hello.” 
He sat next to Satoru, “When did she wake up?” 
I frowned, “Fifteen minutes ago.” 
He chuckled, “Why are you unhappy all of a sudden?” 
I sighed, “One I look terrible, I haven’t changed or brushed my hair.  Two ask Satoru.”  Satoru explained bits of our conversation and his new plan for the war. 
Yutaka looked at me then back to Satoru, “This will stay between the three of us until I say otherwise.” 
Satoru looked at him curiously, “Why?  Shouldn’t the other ninja know what our plan is?” 
Yutaka shook his head, “I was talk about Naomi and I, but yes so should the plan.  I only want the others to know the specifics, especially Susumu.  If he knew we were going to use Naomi to capture Masaru’s attention I’m not sure how he would take it.” 
Satoru nodded, “This is true.  I believe that I could tell the others the important parts and keep that out.  I’m sure you’re busy and after my shift is over I can tell them.” 
As Satoru said this Hajime walked in, “Tell them what?” 
Satoru shook his head, “I’ll tell you later.  You are late by the way, you should have been here to take care of her twenty minutes ago.” 
Hajime nodded and waved his hand at Satoru, “Yeah, I know.  I had to talk some sense into Susumu.” 
I turned my head in question and Hajime sat on the bed next to me, “You want to know I’m guessing.” 
I nodded slowly, “Yes.”
Hajime stretched his arms and laid back on the bed, “He said something about Yutaka telling you that Takashi was going to marry you just so he couldn’t marry you.  He thinks that Yutaka likes you so he is just going to string you along until the war is over then go back home to his girlfriend and leave you alone with no one.  Susumu says he’s going to come in later during my shift to see you by the way.”  I looked up for Yutaka but he was gone, as was Satoru.

Soon after I heard someone yell outside, I jumped out of my chair and started to run to the doorway. 
Hajime grabbed my waist as I ran and pulled me back, “You have no idea who that is.” 
I nodded, “It was Yutaka!  Let me go Hajime!” 
He shook his head and could twist my way out of his arms, “If he’s in trouble the others will help, I’m getting you out of here.” 
He jumped into a nearby tree and we watched from there, “It’s Susumu, he just stabbed Yutaka.  What is wrong with him?” 
I gripped Hajime’s shoulder, “He what?! I can’t believe it,” I spoke too loud and Susumu found us in the tree. 
He climbed up and sat next to us, Hajime didn’t see and I didn’t notice until he picked me up, “Susumu what are you doing?” 
“Saving you,” he said as he jumped down and started darting into the trees. 
I pushed on his chest, “Susumu take me back!  How could you hurt your leader?  That would be like a son stabbing his father.”  He stopped in dead in his tracks and it slightly jolted me. 
He slumped to the ground still holding me tightly, “You don’t understand do you?” 
I was a bit angry so I was stern, “Understand what? That you hurt Yutaka with no reason and then ran off with me?” 
Now he was angry, “No, I hurt him because he was going to hurt you.  If you really knew him you wouldn’t fall in love with him?  Did you know that he likes you? Did you know that he tried to keep it from us because he didn’t want us to tell you that he’d just hurt you?  Did you know he has a girl back home waiting for him?  He would be pulling you along until the war ended.  When it ended he would just leave you and you never would have existed to him.  I don’t want you hurt and I’ll take care of you like he never could.   I’ll stay with you and I will never let anything bad ever happen to you, now, tomorrow, and for the rest of my life.” 
I shook my head, “Susumu,” he didn’t understand what was really going on, “He’s not going to hurt me, to be honest I don’t think he can.  The gift that was given to him by the elders was my marriage, he can’t ignore the gift and he already talk to the elders and I about it.  I assume he’ll tell the lady at his home that he can’t stay with her if he hasn’t done so already.  I’m sorry that I didn’t tell you and that I had to put you through this but you have to believe that I can take care of myself.” 
He nodded and for a moment I thought I saw a tear on his face, I wiped his cheeks and he moved my hands away, “Don’t, I’m not crying.  Crying is for the weak.” 
“Crying is not for the weak, crying is for those with hearts, and those who can feel what others feel.  Don’t ever believe that crying is bad, strong people cry because they care about other people.” 
He nodded and swallowed largely, “So I injured my trainer and my idol for a woman I love, but can never have her.” 
I pressed my lips together, “If it wasn’t for the gift and that fact that I’m the Ninja Princess then it would be different.” 
He nodded, “But you are the Princess, the gift was given, and if you weren’t the Princess I wouldn’t have met you anyway, which means I never would have fallen in love with you and I would miss all the time I did get to spend with you.” 
His smile was starting to return, “I think if we go back now and you talk to Yutaka about how you feel then I believe he will forgive you.” 
He nodded, “Alright, but you have to promise you’ll stay with me while I talk to him.  He won’t be as difficult and you’re better at talking to him than I am.” 
I smiled, “Okay, let’s go and see how he is.”
We walked back, there was no talking and no ninja moves, he didn’t even look at me.  As we walked through the opening of the forest the other ninja stared at Susumu as we walked by them. 
I looked between each one as they started to follow us, I looked at Satoru being that he would be the most calm, “Satoru, how is Yutaka?” 
He shook his head, “Not so good, I don’t know what Susumu was trying to do but he messed Yutaka up pretty bad.” 
I bit my lip, “Where is he? Is he in the medical tent?”  Satoru nodded and I ran through and between many tents before reaching Yutaka. 
I didn’t stop running till I was inside and right next to the bed he was laying on, “Yutaka.” 
He smiled weakly, “Hey, Naomi.”  I smiled back but I saw the blood through his bandages, tears were forming in my eyes. 
I was sitting next to him as he touched my face, “Don’t cry for me, I’m fine.” 
I shook my head and held his hand, “You’re not fine, didn’t you see where your injury is?  It could have hit your heart.” 
He sighed, “But it didn’t hit my heart, I’m still here aren’t I?  I’m still here to take care of you and win the war for you.” 
I shook head and knelt right next to him, “It’s my turn to take care of you, you don’t need to win the war and you don’t need to kill Takashi for me.” 
He smiled again, “Where is Susumu?” 
I stood up and wiped my tears away, “I don’t know I ran here after I heard you were in the medical tent and I left him with the other ninjas.  Do you want me to go get him?”  He nodded.
I walked out of the tent and went back to where I had left Susumu.  I saw him lying on the ground and no one was there but him.  I hoped it wasn’t what I thought; I looked like the other ninjas could have killed him.  I ran up to him, he wasn’t hurt at all that I could see but I gently touched his neck to check for a pulse. 
Susumu opened his eyes and grabbed my hands, “He wants me dead, I know he does.  Let me die here Naomi.” 
I shook my head, “No, the Susumu I know would never say that.  He wants to see you, he’s still in the medical tent and he’s not angry that I could tell.  We’re going together and we’re going to talk to him.”  He nodded and slowly got up. 
Just before walking back into the medical tent Susumu looked at me, “Promise you won’t leave me alone in there.” 
I nodded, “I promise.”
I walked inside with Susumu and sat next to Yutaka again, “Susumu I want you to promise me something,” he nodded, “I want you to promise if something ever happens to me that you’ll take care of Noami.  I don’t care if you marry or not, but if something happens to me then you have to take care of her.” 
Susumu nodded and looked as if he would cry, “I promise Yutaka.   I will take care of her if my life depends on it.  I’m sorry for what I did to you.  I understand if you want me to leave the ninjas or have me executed as in protocol, I deserve it.” 
Yutaka shook his head, “I will not have you executed, and you’ll go back to your position.  I will talk to the others after I have healed.” 
I stood up quickly, “I can heal you.  Did you forget?” 
He shook his head, “No, of course not.  I wasn’t going to ask you to heal me if you weren’t offering.” 
I smiled and held his hand, “All you had to do was ask, I don’t want you here longer than you need to be.” 
Susumu stepped aside and I carefully unwrapped the medical wrap from Yutaka’s chest, “Can’t you heal through the wrap?”
I nodded, “I can but it takes longer, plus there is a higher risk of the wrap fabric getting caught in the healing process and it may be permanently part of your skin in that area.”  Yutaka let out a deep breath and sat up. 
I could see the pain in his face, “Susumu hold him up so they’re less pressure on his wound.” 
Yutaka shook his head, “I don’t believe in being coddled.” 
I bit my lip, “It’s not coddling its healing faster.  If you slouch or lean it might not heal properly.” 
He sighed, “Alright, Susumu please hold me up.” 
Susumu held him up and I put hands on either side to heal faster and all the way through the wound.  I could feel the blood on my hands while healing and I couldn’t look at Yutaka anymore so I closed my eyes.  When I felt the hole close I opened my eyes and looked down, “I think it’s healed, but please be easy on it, I don’t want you to hurt yourself.”
He nodded, “Alright.  Susumu please help me to my tent.” 
Susumu helped him up and started to carry him to his tent, but when I turned around to follow Yutaka stopped me, “Naomi please stay away from the other ninjas.  I’m going to talk to Susumu for a while, okay?”
I pressed my lips together, “Alright, I’ll see you both later.”

I started to walk around the camp when I saw Hajime and Eita walking toward me.  I quickly ran through a few tents and ended up at the edge of the woods.  I glanced in the forest and saw a shiny object, I walked in to see if I could find out what it was.  It was a gold hair pin with golden flowers and what looked like white pearls for the middle of the flowers.  I remembered then that it was given to me when I was very young, I remember an exchange of words between my grandfather and the man whose face was blurred out.  My grandfather called him my father and told him he shouldn’t be around me because my mother wouldn’t have liked it.  After seeing this I carefully put the pin in my hair, as I finished I saw another object further into the forest.  It was a silk hair bow, I then remembered receiving this in the mail once.  It was in a purple velvet box with a pink ribbon on top, as I held the bow my vision showed me that my grandfather wasn’t very happy to see the bow when it came.  I was yanked from my vision when someone put me in a choke hold, I couldn’t even use my skills to remove myself from the hold. 
The man stopped squeezing when he saw the bow, “Naomi?  The bow, it’s yours correct?” 
I nodded, “Yes.” 
He let go, turned me around and hugged me, “I never thought I would find you.”
I took a deep breath, “Who are you?”
He chuckled, “We’re friends, don’t you remember me?”
I shook my head, “No.”
He shook his head, “How could you forget?”
I shrugged, “I don’t remember much after I fell.”
The man had a mask over his face and head, I couldn’t see who he was and the characteristic I could see what his eyes.  He wasn’t a Naghi ninja, they had more character and personality in their attire.
I bit my lip, “Do you work for Masaru?”
The man looked serious afterward, “No.  Why would you think that?  I work alone, I’ve been looking for you?”
I shook my head, “I meant are you associated with him?” 
He reached over and grabbed me.  He started tree jumping, he was like Yutaka.  He jumped just as well and just as smoothly, it them hit me that this was probably Takashi.  Takashi trained and worked with Yutaka, plus he never denied being associated with Masaru.  I couldn’t talk due to a cloth over my mouth, I also couldn’t see anything because he was jumping faster than I’ve seen anyone jump before.
He stopped suddenly and I saw five tents together, what looked like the main tent, a large tent and three one person sized tents.  He set me down and coaxed me into the large tent.  When we got inside he pulled a chair up for me and for himself then sat in front of me.
He sighed, “I’m going to take you’re gag off but you have to promise not to yell.  If you yell the other three ninjas will come in here and see you.  If they see you then they’ll tell the boss and trust me from what you’ve said you don’t want to see him.”
I nodded because I knew he was right, if this was Takashi then I really didn’t want to see Masaru, if it was Masaru who knows what he would do to me, “Okay.”
He reached out and untied the gag with on hand while touching my face with the other, “I’m sorry I gagged you, but I didn’t want you to scream.”
I shrugged, “If you expect me to become your friend because you’re being nice to me then I’m not falling for it Takashi.”
He jerked back, “You remember me?”
I shook my head, “No, I saw a picture of you once and it had your name on it.”
He ruffled his brow, “Why don’t you remember me?”
I sighed, “I fell off a hoarse.”
“I’m not gonna hurt you,” he scooted his chair closer to mine, “I want to protect you.  I’m not trying to befriend you, or lie to you because I’m on this side.  I’m sure you’ve heard terrible things about me, from Masaru’s men and the Naghi, but in reality I’m not a bad person.  You can’t be soft and nice to warriors during a war.  You have to push them and act stubborn, hard, disciplined, heartless, and don’t use sympathy.  That’s not how I really am though, I have a heart, I feel for other people and I have feelings.  I have feelings like any other person, like you.  For example, I have feelings for you.”
I swallowed hard and shook my head, “No you don’t.”
He knelt down in front of me, “Yes I do.  I know you think I’m just trying to get information out of you but I’m not.  If you want we can leave right now and never come back here.  No more war, no more fighting, no more people, no more Musaru, and no more worrying.”
I shook my head, “No, I don’t love you and you don’t love me.  I know you don’t want information, but I don’t want to be here.  I want to go back to the forest where I was, I want to find more of my missing objects and I want to make it on my own.”
“You always were strong headed and hearted,” he stood up, “I’ll go get your things from the forest,”
I looked up, “No, I have to find them.  I don’t know if my memories will come back if you find them and I look at them.  I want to find them on my own so I know what they mean.”
He sighed, “No, I’ll get them.  You’re memories will come back when you see them.”
He tied my hands behind me on the chair and walked out, “I hope you understand.”
I pulled in the ropes and struggled to get free so I could find them on my own but the ropes just cut into my wrists and rubbed my skin. I stopped struggling and after about a half hour I heard someone outside the tent door, “Takashi?”
A head peeked into the tent, “Naomi?”
It was Masaru, I was so scared I tipped my chair backwards.  He ran up to me and pulled me up.  He untied my hands and held them, “What are you here? How did you find us?” He hugged me closely and stroked my head, “I’ve missed you so much Naomi.”
I pushed away, “Who are you and why are you touching me like this?”
He looked shocked, “You don’t remember your own father?”
I was shocked this time, “My father? What? You can’t be my father, you’re Masaru.  You’re my enemy, you can’t be my father,”
He shook his head, “Yutaka told you I was your enemy?”
I shook my head, “No, I just assumed.  You started the war and he didn’t do anything wrong.  He just wanted this to end, then one of his men found me and they took care of me.”
He scoffed, “Took care of you? They tied you to a chair here.”
I shook my head, “No they didn’t Takashi took me from the forest when I was picking up my things that I was finding and then brought me here.  My memory was returning when I was looking the objects I was finding and he wouldn’t let me pick the rest of them up.  He tried me up because he thought I was going to run away.  He said we were going to leave soon and that I wouldn’t have to worry about people.  Please, whether you’re my father or not I just want to go back and pick up my objects and go see my friends.”
He sighed, “I can’t take you back to your friends but we can go get your objects.”
I slouched in the chair and he patted my head, “I know you’ll miss them but its better this way, trust me.”
I pushed his hand away, “No its not, I want to be there.  I want to go back and be with Yutaka, Susumu, Hajime, Eita, and Satoru.
He grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the chair, “Yutaka?  You met him?”
I nodded, “Of course I met him.  We love each other, the elders said we would.  Besides, I’m not allowed to me with Takashi anyway, the elders said that it would be a disaster for him to have me.  I’m too powerful and he doesn’t know how to take care of me.  He tied me up and left me alone for almost an hour. Yutaka and Susumu have been taking care of me for the past week, Yutaka promised to keep me safe.”
He chuckled, “Safe? He left you in the forest alone.”
I shook my head, “I walked out there alone.  I wanted to be alone so I could focus on remembering things, I didn’t want anyone around.  I wasn’t even fare from camp, it was none of Takashi’s business and it’s none of your business who I marry.  You’re probably not even my father,” just as I said this Takashi walked in with a box of my objects.  I ran to them and pulled one out, it was bracelet.  I closed my eyes, “I was from a man again talking to my grandfather, and he said he was my father. 
This time I saw the man’s face, “Masaru…”
Again I was shaken out of my vision, “Takashi stop, I was trying to remember what was going on.  I’ll never remember anything if you keep it up.”  Masaru stepped forward and separated Takashi from me.
“Takashi, leave her be,” he turned to me, “That’s enough remembering for now.”
I shook my head, “You can’t be my father, I don’t want you to be.  I want to be with Yutaka and if you won’t let me then I never knew and I will never establish you as my father.”  I pushed through them and grabbed my box.  I closed it and ran out of the tent.  I ran for a while then looked back to see if I was being followed, then I ran into someone.
“Yutaka, you found me,” I reached up to him.
He hushed me, “We don’t want them to hear you.”
I nodded and as we turned to leave we were surrounded by Masaru’s men.
I clung to Yutaka and held me close, “I won’t give her to you Masaru, you’ll have to kill me first.”
Takashi took a step forward but Masaru stopped him, “Yutaka, you seem to have an attachment to Naomi, tell me why.”
I swallowed, “It’s my job to protect her, I promised her I would.  She’s someone worth protecting.”
Masaru shook his head and smiled, “See Naomi, he doesn’t feel that same about you as you feel about him.  It was a promise, not love.”
Yutaka pulled me very close, “If that’s what you wanted me to say, then yes I love her.  We’re meant to be together, you can ask almost anyone and they’ll tell you the same.”
I smiled up at him, “I told you Masaru.”
Masaru drew his sword, “Does anyone want to argue with this statement?  Does anyone think that what he said is untrue?”  I clung to Yutaka and he held me as close as possible.
Takashi stepped forward, “I disagree with him.”
Masaru stood in front of him, “Then you have to fight me to get to them.”
I stood shocked, “Father?”
Yutaka looked at me shocked, “Father?”
I nodded, “Masaru is my father.”
He shook his head, “When did you find this out?”
I stared at Masaru’s back, “When I was taken by Takashi.”
Takashi stepped back, “I thought we had a deal?”
Masaru shook his head, “Her happiness is above any deal that I have made.  You won’t and you can’t love her like Yutaka.”
I was astonished as Takashi put his sword away and jumped through the trees to get away, “What changed your mind?”
Masaru smiled, “I looked at your mother that same way every day before she died.  She looked at me like you look at Yutaka just the same.”
I looked up to Yutaka and smiled he leaned over and kissed my forehead, “I knew we could do it.”
I hugged my new found father and he invited Yutaka to join in our new family hug.  As did Yutaka’s men that showed up soon after.  The most diverse and different looking people joined together in something more than a hug, more than a friendship, more than a family, joined together my peace and happiness.