Amnesia | Teen Ink

Amnesia

By DANGERFIELD, Springville, Utah
DANGERFIELD, Springville, Utah

"Today is the day when I do because otherwise you aren't then it wont unless you do it." - Miranda sings

Author's note:

It is a very exciting twist turning sequence.

THIS IS THE WHOLE BOOK!!

Amnesia
Once upon a time…. wait, wait, wait! No! This is not one of those stupid cliche fairy tales, this is real life where happy endings aren't real. So let’s just start off Hi! my name is Jordan Ross. I'm a complete weirdo and can’t control myself at times and this is my story.
You know what.  You don’t really realize what you have or what you're truly grateful for until bam! It’s gone. For instance, I hated when my family was always nosey and annoying but now I don’t have a sister anymore from a drunk driver who hit her, And my parents they are usually always gone on business trips. Ya know it get boring sometimes, and by sometimes I mean a lot! But I will shut up for now and begin this story...
I walked in my house expecting my parents to welcome me home and say “Hi sweetie! Welcome home!” With their big smiles.
But not this time and I was surprised. I saw a note on the counter and I went to read it.
“Jordan! Hey sweetheart:) your mom and I have to go on an emergency business trip. We will be gone for about two weeks.
Lots of love,
Mom and Dad.”
I walked upstairs to my room when I opened my door I saw my best friend Megan there already with a sad look on her face
“I’m sorry” She whispered.
“It’s not your fault.”
“Yea but they are gonna be missing your 19th birthday.”
“I dont care.” But to tell you the truth I did.
“Wanna go get some frozen yogurt at Yogurt Beyond?”
“Sure” I smiled “It’s wednesday”
We always did something for each day of the week to make time go by faster. Wednesday we would go get Frozen yogurt and then come home and eat it with goldfish. You may think it’s disgusting but it really isn’t.
We got to yogurt beyond and Megan ordered her usual the Cookie Dough fright. For me I just ordered my regular Watermelon.
We got home from Yogurt beyond and Megan pulled out the goldfish and we both sat down. We were talking and then all of a sudden a door upstairs shut and then a loud thud came.
“I thought no one was here.” Megan exclaimed
“There isn’t.” I said wide eyed
Then out of no where I heard a familiar voice.
“Cameron?” I said
“Yup that’s me!”
“Cameron!!”
“Hey Jordan” He smiled his famous smile. “ Wanna go to the beach?”
I gulped “Sure, Wanna come Megan?”
“Erm, I don’t think I can.”
I gave her the evil stare. She knew I was scared of the water.
“Well wanna go right  now before the sun goes down? The boys are coming too.” He smiled
“Great!” I said trying to sound excited.
“Hey guys get down here! Jordan you might wanna get your suit on.”
“Ok going right now.”
I was about to go in my room when a bunch of boys came out of my room.
“Hey Jordan!” They all said
“Hey guys.”
All of them walked down except one, Matt.
“Are you sure you're gonna be alright at the beach? I know how you're afraid of the water.”
“I guess, as long as I don't touch or get close to the water. I will be fine.”
“Ok, well see you downstairs.”
“See ya”
I got dressed in my swimsuit and went downstairs. We went outside and got in the car. The drive was about 10 minutes because the malibu beach was close by. Not many people were there and it was soothing. I went and sat on the sand next to Jack. He was telling me a bunch of stories and jokes. I then felt a pair of strong arms pull me up.
“Cameron! Put me down now!” I yelled
“No we are going to the water!”
That sentence scared me and I knew that there was no turning back unless I broke up with him, but he probably would more likely throw me in the water and I would drown. I looked behind me and Jack was laughing. I screamed and Matt turned around. By then we were in the water going deeper and deeper.
“Cameron! Come back! Come Back!!” Matt was yelling
“Nope!” Cameron replied
I was shivering and had a very frightened look in my eye. I saw a wave coming and that was when Cameron saw me. He tried running back to shore so we wouldn’t get hit…. but it was too late we went under. I was getting tossed anywhere I couldn’t breathe at all. I then hit something very hard and everything went black.

*Cameron's perspective”
When I saw the wave coming I saw Jordan, she was almost to tears. I tried to run back but we went under. I felt something on my leg it was her hair going past me. I came up and the guys were all looking at me. Matt looked devastated and was running towards the water. I couldn’t find her anywhere. I finally saw some hair and lots of blood.
“Someone call an ambulance!” I screamed
Matt was now by my side cursing. We dragged Jordan out of the water she was pale and she wasn’t breathing. I was in shock. I now knew Jordan didn’t just not want to get wet, she was truly scared and she couldn’t  swim.
“This is all my fault.” I whispered.
Jack came and gave me a side hug
“It’s not your fault Cam.”
“Yes it is I should’ve known.”
By then the ambulance was pulling in they put Jordan on the stretch and put her in the vehicle. We all ran to our car with Josh driving. The ride was silent.
We arrived at the hospital. Jordan was going into surgery to try and get her heart pumping again. They came out two hours later with a sad look on their face.
“What? How is she doing?” I said
“Well we have good news and bad news, the good news is her heart is working again. The bad news is that she never woke up, she is in a coma sir. Im very sorry.”
I looked at her sadly and walked away. I sat down and felt sick to my stomach.
“Do want me to go buy some food for us?” Josh asked
“No thanks.” Matt said silently
“Sure, from where?” Jack said happily
How could be happy when MY girlfriend was in a coma right now?
“Chik-fil-a. What about you Cam?”
I shook my head I felt weak.
“Ok. Well Jack do you wanna come with me?” Josh asked
“Sure.”
When they left Matt came over to me.
“I’m sorry man, Ya know she loved you, Really.”
I shook my head
“Yea, I never knew I could ever feel this bad. I mean I feel like a hormonal pregnant lady.”
“Ha, Yeah me too.”
“Do you think she is going to wake up?”
“Yes.”
“Man, I feel horrible if I knew she couldn’t swim or was afraid of the water, we wouldn’t be here.”
“It’s not your fault. It’s no ones really.”
“Do you think we should call her parents?”
“Yea, I will do it.”
“Thanks Matt.” I smiled
Matt came back and told me that her parents are in London and they can’t come for another week. I felt bad for Jordan. Her parents were always gone and she was going to have to spend her birthday possibly in a coma.
“Why was Jack so happy? When we got here and when he left?” I asked
“Because Jack is always happy. If he’s not he gets emotional. Remember when he had cancer?”
“Yea”
“Well when he got out of chemo he was smiling, even though the doctors thought he was going to die. He always said it was easier to smile than to feel bad for yourself. The doctors told us he probably only lived because he had so much faith and was so optimistic.”

*2 days later*
*Jordan’s perspective*
“Ugh” I groaned
“Hey Jordan how are you doing sweetie” A strange man said
“Who are you? Who’s Jordan? And where am I?”
He looked at me completely dazed. He looked sad and had red eyes. 
“I’ll be back” The man said
Someone else walked in. She looked pretty nice.
“You have woken! I am your doctor Judy! How are you feeling?”
“Hi? I'm good, My head hurts very badly though.”
“Do you remember anything? Say, What’s your name?”
“Um, I don’t know what my name is. The guy that was in here said Jordan?”
“Do you know the guy? Yes that’s your name! Jordan”
“No clue. Who is he ma’m?”
“I’ll be right back.”
She went out and through the window I saw her talking with the boy. They both looked in my room. Judy looked worried and sad. The boy looked devastated. The boy came in my room and sat by my bed.
“So you don’t remember me?”
“No. May I ask who you are?
“I’m Cameron Wilson, your boyfriend.”
“I’m sorry I don’t remember you.” I looked out the window and saw a boy who looked familiar “May I talk to that Guy?” I asked
“S--sure” He said and walked out.
The boy came in and sat by my bed.
“You look very familiar.” I said
“I do?” He asked
“Yea, is your name Matt?”
“Yes! Yes! You remember me?!”
“Yea! You're my best friend. How couldn’t I remember you?”
“You didn’t remember Cameron.”
I thought and thought, who was he? How could I not remember him?
“What did the doctor say?”
“You have long term amnesia.”
“What happened? All I know is that I was in the water and I flipped and hit something.”
“The doctor also said you will be out of the hospital in about 3 days.”
“Woah! I'm in the hospital?! I hate hospitals!!”
“It’s ok! 3 days is going to fly by fast.”
Over the next few days I met some new people I already knew but I still had no clue. The mysterious Cameron was always watch me. I felt bad for him. But I just couldn’t remember.

*Leaving day*
Today I was getting out of the hospital. Glory, Hallelujah I thought. These last few days have been torture for me. The nurse Judy got me out of bed and told me to walk. Lets just say I forgot how to walk also. Cameron came to take me home. He got me in a wheelchair and wheeled me out of that stupid place. We got to the car and he lifted me in the car.
“Thank you Cameron.”
He nodded and shut the door. The car ride was silent, not a comfy silent a awkward silent. We drove up to the house.
“I went by your house and picked up some of your clothes.” Cameron said
“Thanks.” I got out and tried walking I was getting better.
I walked in the house and fell down
Matt picked me up and set me on my feet.
“Wanna go to the mall with us?”
“Sure I have no clue what that is but, Yeah!!!”
“Lets go then!” He squealed
We went back outside and got in the car. We got to the so called “Malibu mall.” We all got out and I followed them in. The darn place was huge!
“Wanna go down to Pacsun?!” Jack yelled
“Yes! Lets go im so hungry and that place sounds amazing!” I said
“Jordan, thats a clothing store not a food store.”
“Oh, but yeah lets go there then get food.”
“Sounds good to me!” Matt said
We got into Pacsun and there was a boy that looked about my age. He was tall lean and hot. He came up to our group and welcomed us. He was shirtless and had abs like Dwayne Johnson. We were exchanging looks from one another and Cam looked like he was getting jealous. I rolled my eyes and went up to the boy.
“Hi! I’m Jordan Ross!” I smiled
“Hi Jordan I’m Nick, Nick Flurry.”
“Well hello Nick!”
We laughed and were wandering around with each other.
“Hey Jordan you're really cute, wanna go get some food tonight with me?”
“Like a date? And yea sure.”
“Yea like a date!”
We exchanged numbers and I went back to the group of hooligans. Cameron was staring at me harshly.
“Lets go to the food court.” He mumbled angrily
We ate and I felt a lot better. We went home and I got ready for my “date”  Nick came at 8 and we went to Starbucks.
“Um, Nick I don’t have any clue what all this is? What is good here?”
“Are you serious?! You have never been to Starbucks?”
“I think I have but I have forgotten, I got diagnosed with amnesia a few days ago.”
“Oh, well I really like the caramel frappuccino.”
“Ok I will get that then.” I smiled
“Two caramel frappuccinos please.” Nick ordered and payed
We started talking about our lives and such so. He talked more than me because I didn't remember much about my life.

*Back at the boys place*
*Matt's perspective*
To tell you the truth I was worried about Jordan. She was gonna get herself hurt. Cameron is stressed out and now she wants nothing to do with Cam. We are trying to get a barbecue setup. Cam’s going all out. He really want Jordan back. He called his ex Sarah to try and make Jordan jealous. But I know it’s a bad idea because she will think he just moved on. We decided to have the barbecue tomorrow night.  Jordan got home at around 12 Cam found Nick giving Jordan a kiss on the cheek. He almost kicked his sorry butt out of the world. Poor Cam.

*Jordan’s perspective*
Cam dragged me inside the house.
“WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT FOR CAMERON?” I yelled
“THAT STUPID KID IS NOT GONNA TOUCH YOU LET ALONE KISS YOU!!! GO TO SLEEP YOU IDIOT!!” Cam yelled at me
I started crying and ran up the stairs to my room.
I heard someone run after me and come into my room after I slammed down on my bed
“Jordan? Are you alright?” Matt said
“Go away I don't want to talk to no one!” I cried more
“Shush, shush.” Matt stroked my head “It’s alright.”
“Matt?”
“Yes Jordan?”
“Why does Cameron hate me?”
“Ha. Well it’s  more like why do you hate Cameron?”
“I don’t!”
“Sure seems like it. That's how you treat him and that's the truth.”
“How do I treat him.”
“Like he’s stupid, worthless, and a piece of trash. It’s not very nice he hates feeling worthless.”
“I’m sorry.” I whispered
“We are having a barbecue tomorrow night. Are you gonna come?”
“Yea sure. Can I invite Nick?”
“I guess.”

*Barbecue*
Tonight was the barbecue Nick went out with Cameron to cook hot dogs. Meanwhile Sarah (Cameron's new girlfriend) and I were making some salad.
“So Jordan?” Sarah said
“Yeah, what’s up?” I replied
Then all of a sudden we heard a yelling then a high pitched scream. Sarah ran outside with me following.
“What is going on?!” Sarah said
“Well Nick here just burned my hand! He does not know how to make hot dogs!” Cameron explained
Nick huffed and went inside I followed him.
“Hey, what is going on?” I said
“Cameron is a jerk! I am just going to go on a walk. I will be back soon. Ok babe?”
“Ok.” I smiled
I turned around and saw Cameron he was looking at me like a small sad child who just got mauled by a bear.
“What do you want Cam?”
“Jordan, I need to talk to you.”
I tried to walk away but he pulled me down the hall.
“Why don’t you go on out and spoil your girlfriend?”
“She is not even my girlfriend! I was using her to see if you would get jealous while I had her. But I guess that didn't work.”
“Why would you do that to me?! I love Nick now, not you. I don’t even get how the old Jordan could’ve even dated you!”
Then all of a sudden I felt something crash onto my lips. It was Cameron I was kissing back and I didn't know what I was doing. We pulled away and Cameron was smiling at me. I smiled back but then it soon turned into a frown when I saw Nick.
“Nick it isn’t what it looks like.”
“No, it is exactly what it looks like. You like Cameron more than me and you are cheating on me!” Nick exclaimed “We’re over Jordan!” after that he turned and walked out the door.
“Jordan I’m so sorry.” Cam said behind me
“No your not Cam you are just being a selfish pig!” I ran out the door with tears rushing down my face. I had no clue where I was going but I was going far, far away.

*Cameron’s Perspective*
I messed up. I ruined Jordan and I felt horrible. I should have just left her alone. Now I don’t even know where she is. Everyone came in
“Hey bro! Where is Jordan and that douche bag Nick?” Matt said
“Nick broke up with Jordan because I kissed her. Then Jordan ran away and I don’t know where she went.” I started crying
I felt a hand on my shoulder. It was Sarah.
“Hey, we are going to find her no matter what. It’s gonna be alright.” Sarah whispered
After that we were all off looking for Jordan. It started raining and I was scared. Jordan hates rain and storms.

*Jordan’s Perspective*
I was now about 4 miles from the house and I was scared there was water coming from the sky and lots of loud noise around me. I had gotten about 15 calls from Cameron and the boys and even more texts saying where are you? I wasn't ever going back though. Never. All of a sudden someone pulled up in a car beside me, it looked like Megan.
“Jordan? What are you doing out here? Its freezing!!”
“I-I-I don't know.” I started crying
“Hey jump in let's go get some frozen yogurt!”
I jumped in “What’s frozen yogurt?”
Megan just looked at me.
“Wow, I didn't know you lost so much information on your life.”
We got to the yogurt place about ten minutes later from where she picked me up.
“So what’s good here?” I asked
“Um, you really liked the Watermelon.” She smiled “Want me to order?”
“Yea, that sounds like a good idea.”
Megan came back to the table I was sitting at.
“Wanna go to my place to eat?”
“Sounds like a plan.”
We headed back with lots of laughs and awkwardness. I started remembering more and more things about Megan. I felt safe being around her. We were at her house for about an hour we were watching Pitch perfect when Cameron called.
“Are you gonna answer?” Megan asked
“No.” I snapped
“Then I will answer, you can’t be mad at him forever.”
“Fine, but I will answer.”
“OK” she just looked at me
“Hello?”
“Jordan?! Finally! I was so worried. I am so sorry will you please come back?” Cameron said
“Fine but Megan is coming with me.”
“Thank goodness Megan found you.” Cameron said relived
“We are leaving right now Cam!” Megan screamed into the phone and my ear.
I hung up. Megan picked me up from the couch and dragged me to the car.  We got to Cameron’s about ten minutes later and Cameron ran out of the house and came up to me when I was getting out. He gave me a huge hug.
“I’m so glad you're safe.” Cameron whispered
That’s when it hit me Cameron does really care about me. We went inside and turned on Toy story Matt’s “Favorite” movie. About halfway through the movie Cameron got up and went to the bathroom. I started thinking about the beach we went to Jack leaned over to me and told me a joke about the movie. Then all of a sudden a flood of memories and flashbacks came back to me. Then one flashback popped out Cameron was in it. I was walking through Wal-Mart I was on the candy aisle when I saw Swedish Fish! They were too high but a bunch of boys came down the aisle as well by then I was jumping up and down when all of a sudden someone lifted me up It was Cameron. I was back to reality and I ran to the bathroom screaming
“CAMERON!!”
The boys were just as scared as Cam.
“WHAT?!” Cam screamed
“I remember! I remember everything!!”
I turned the bathroom and I guess so did Cameron because now the door was stuck. Jack came up the stairs out of breath and I told him to open the door. We couldn't so he ran to his Dad’s to get some tools. He came back and it felt like FOREVER. Finally Jack got back. After 10 minutes Jack got the door open. I saw him and I got so happy I ran to his arms and hugged him really tight. We broke away when we heard a knocking at the door. Matt answered and I saw my parents I smiled and ran up to them they were smiling at me and it made me happy.
“I’m so glad you're safe. How are you feeling?” My parents said
“I’m doing good.” I replied
“Do you want to go home?”
As much as I wanted to stay with the boys I was afraid my parents were going to be disappointed I didn't want to go home with them. We got home and had some lunch from Subway.
“So sweetie what do you want to do?”
“Um, I was hoping I could spend the night at the boys house again?” I said
“Or spend your life there?” Mom smiled “It’s OK you can.”
“I can?!”
They nodded. I gave them a big hug
“Thank you! Thank you!” I said
“Well what are you waiting for? Gonna take the car and drive over?” Dad said
“Whoa, slow down I can take the car? The car that just sits in the garage?”
“Yeah that's what I was thinking.” He smiled
I grabbed the keys and got in the car. I sighed in relief. I got to the house it looked lonely. I walked up to the door deciding whether or not to just walk in or knock. So I just walked in. The boys were up in an instant with their fists up like they were going to punch me. When they saw who it was they relaxed.
“What are you doing here?!” Jack said
“I am moving back!”
“YA!” The boys screamed and gave me a big group hug.”
           And we lived happily ever after… I guess there are such things as happy endings. 8)