The Adventure of a Lifetime | Teen Ink

The Adventure of a Lifetime

By TravelerenRoute GOLD, Ribera, New Mexico
TravelerenRoute GOLD, Ribera, New Mexico

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant,
gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.

Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us.
It is not just in some; it is in everyone.

And, as we let our own light shine, we consciously give
other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our fear,
our presence automatically liberates others."
Marianne Williamson

Author's note:

Table of Contents
Chapter 1: The Life of Emilio
Chapter 2: Ella’s Life
Chapter 3: Ella’s Flight to “Uruguay”
Chapter 4: The Encounter
Chapter 5: Emilio and Ella
Chapter 6: The Eventful Trip
Chapter 7: Ella’s Encounter with Emilio’s Family 
Chapter 8: Realizations
Chapter 9: Ella’s and Emilio’s Departure From Italy

Chapter 1: The Life of Emilio
Hello, my life is Emilio. My whole life I have lived in Florence, Italy. I enjoy the city, with its many sights and sounds. Although some find the crowds to be overwhelming, I thrive on them. I have always found comfort in my three story flat. My parents had six children besides myself, and I am the oldest. I like to take life by the horns, so to speak. Many of my friends think that I am too spontaneous, but I say you live life while you still can. If I see a pretty woman, I will tell her how I feel, even if I tell twenty women the same thing. I drive all around Italy during my free time, which I have a lot of. I got kicked out of school because I told a teacher off. My parents supported me because they thought the teacher was a jerk. He would always give me a C+ or lower, for A+ work. I spent all of my free time on my studies, and never got anything else done. I did not even explore Italy, the greatest country in the world. I went back to the teacher, used a lot of language I was not proud of, and got kicked out of school. I think it is for the better now though. I go sailing with my friends in Venice all the time, and last summer I was able to see France. There is something about America though….I have always longed to see America, and the people who live there.
Chapter 2: Ella’s Life
Hello, my name is Ella, I am twenty-six years old, and I live in Vermont. I live in a huge mansion my parents left me. It is in the woods. Everyday I have to cut firewood to keep the house warm, feed the chickens, and milk the cows. I have always worked hard. Sometimes I feel lonely, as if my life is wasting away. Then I think to myself, ‘I have always had responsibility, and a purpose, in this lifetime. If there was nothing else I contributed then so be it. I did my part.” Sometimes I long for adventure instead of this constant loneliness. I would never let anyone know that. I have always convinced my self that I don’t need people; people need me. I have graduated university with straight A+s. I received my Bachelor’s in zoology with a minor in economics. No one has ever held me back, whether they like it or not. There were quite a few terribly mean teachers, and I continued my studies without a word. I kept my mouth shut, was superficially nice, and did my best on my homework. It paid off, and I had worked on this farm and earned pay from it for my first few years out of university. I thought about traveling, but these were longterm goals. My parents were good, down to earth people. They followed their passions and worked hard on them. They always saved their money, just in case. I was similar to them in that regard. But every now and then I thought, if I ever did go on my dream vacation, I would go to Uruguay.
Chapter 3: 
One day, to her surprise, Ella discovered that her family had put her name on a lottery ticket. She had actually won enough to go to Uruguay! She was extremely excited. She had to find enough clothing to pack for about two months. She thought that if she were to go, she may as well stay long enough to enjoy it.
It was Sunday morning, and she had packed everything. She was on her way to the flight. It was around Christmas time, and there had been many snow storms. She was happy to finally be going somewhere else. It would be good to escape for awhile. Unfortunately, her  flight was cancelled. She was stuck in the airport. There was nowhere she could go. She had not brought enough extra money for a hotel. She decided to see if she could quickly book another flight. She went throughout the streets and found a coffeeshop near the airport. She was able to find wifi and book another flight. By the time she booked she was so tired she could barely see straight. However, she thought it said Uruguay and booked. She was able to look at the time and date. She fell asleep at the cafe and did not wake up until the next morning. With hair unbrushed, and stinky breath she headed to the airport. Her flight was at 5:00 a.m. She finally arrived there, looking like she had just got out of bed, which the people working at the airport told her, and was barely able to get onto her flight. Her luggage was three lbs. overweight, so she had to leave a lot of her towels and sunscreen behind. She had packed  about ten bottles of sunscreen, and twelve towels, just in case this happened. It was well worth the effort. She would miss them though…
Ella breathed a sigh of relief after finally arriving on the flight. Until, to her utter and complete shock, she learned that she was headed to Florence, Italy…She had never dreamed of going there, and what was she going to do with all of her swimsuit weather clothing? This was going to be…an adventure.
Chapter 4: The Encounter
Ella was going to Italy. It was so different from Uruguay, or anywhere for that matter. There were so many interesting things to do there, and places to visit. It seemed like there were so many cities though, and she had never been in a city before. There were so many handsome men. So many eccentric characters, at least that is how she imagined it when she did think about Italy. Well, she thought to herself, she would have to reserve a decent hotel. She may as well make the best of it, even though her vacation had gone slightly differently than planned. She was actually happy to go to Italy. Although it was not exactly swimsuit season, she was at least relieved that it would not be scorching hot there. She was able to find a five star hotel in Florence. It was extraordinary; everything was beautiful and exquisitely placed. She breathed a long sigh of simultaneous relief and exasperation. She had been hoping to go to Uruguay for her whole life…yet she was somehow happy to be in Italy. She called her parents to let them know what had gone wrong, and they were thrilled. “Do exploring for all of us!” They demanded. She was disappointed because she only had shorts and swimsuits, and it was becoming rather chilly in Italy. She decided she would go shopping for some new clothes but she did not know her way around. Just as she was living the hotel, she saw a tall, handsome men, also exiting the hotel. “Excuse me,” she said, “Do you know of any stores? Haha I only have summer clothes.” “Haha why on earth would you only have summer clothes?” He smiled and nudged her. She smiled back, chuckling, “It is a long story…” “I will help you, and go shopping with you. After all, I know this place very well.” Ella’s mind was chattering at a high speed. This man was a strange, yet he was being very kind to her, and she could probably use the help. ‘What if he was someone she should not be around?’ “Ella, are you alright? Would you like me to accompany you? I am staying in the room next door.” He looked at her, and could tell she was suspicious. “I promise, I have no firearms,” He said with a smile an a wink. “Haha okay, you better not,” she replied, smiling.
They went on quite the shopping spree. Emilio was very kind, and brutally honest, sometimes to a fault. He would then always apologize, explaining that he did not mean that. He would suddenly say his English was not good. Ella knew this was not true because Emilio was fluent, and they just both laughed together. Emilio was only saying these things to entertain her, after all.
At the end of the day; the two arrived back in their hotel. Emilio, with an air of overconfidence, told her she could see him tomorrow, if she wished. “Excuse me, Emilio?” “I don’t think I will now.” She sighed. “You just ruined all of that charisma you had!” Haha, “So I had charisma?,” He teased. Ella unwillingly smiled slightly and said, “Haha never mind…I guess that was it then.” “I am sorry, Ella, would you even want to explore Italy with me? I do know many places I could show you. After all, for better or for worse, I did grow up here.” “I suppose so, okay, thank you.” “See you in the morning,” Emilio said. “See you then,” Ella replied. Ella was always polite, so she was not sure how to act with Emilio. She liked him a lot more than many people she was around….She found him quite incredible, but she did not know him. She was not sure what to do.
Chapter 5: Emilio and Ella
Emilio sat in his room, thinking of Ella. She was absolutely beautiful. He thought of every feature of her face. Most of all though, she was happy. He could see the glow of her face when she smiled…He hardly knew this woman, yet he felt he was in love.
The next morning, eyes twinkling, he knocked on her door. “Oh s***!” He heard loudly. He laughed to himself, “You Americans have such foul language…Are you calling me this word because I am Italian. Because, if you are, I believe it should only be applied to Americans!” He waited, hoping she knew he was only having his fun. She burst out laughing. “You are a terrible person!” She said. “And I think the former accusation is the only reasonable one!” Emilio was shocked. This woman was usually so polite. ‘Oh my gosh, that was probably really offensive. I hope I have not offended him…” Ella thought. Emilio could not help himself. He laughed for longer than he had ever laughed before. “Whatever,” He said in a humorous voice. “Good one.” He said. Ella laughed. “Good morning Emilio. I just had to get changed.” “Of course, Ella. Take your time. Good morning.”
Chapter 6: The Eventful Trip
Emilio felt so goofy, and he was trying very hard to contain himself. He did not want to offend Ella on their very first trip. He was so spontaneous, he was not even worried they were still practically strangers. Ella was so scared, she had never done anything with anyone she did not know. Emilio was so charming, and kind, and funny. She just hoped it was not all an act, and, as she soon found out, it was not.
First they traveled to Venice. Emilio had a small car, and of course, knew the traffic rules way more accurately than Ella. As they drove on the opposite side of the road Ella was used to, with everything different; Ella realized she may actually be able to trust Emilio. “So where are you from?” Emilio asked. “Originally?” “I am from Vermont.” Ella replied. “I have always wanted to go there. It seems so beautiful. Actually, I have always wanted to go to America.” Ella smiled, she had thought something rather offensive about him. She decided not to reply. She did not want to hurt his feelings. He looked at her, almost daring her to say it. “Oh s***, I was going to say your English was not good enough to go there.” She said, smiling. “But it was just because I am Ameri”- “Well probably not,” Emilio said, smiling heartily. “It is almost as bad your Italian.” Ella laughed. Emilio was actually touched that she trusted him enough to be that…culturally insensitive. “Please reassure me my English is good,” he said, before he realized the words had escaped his mouth. “Of course Emilio, your English is excellent. It was only a bad joke on my part.” They smiled at each other, and arrived in Venice. “Would you like to take a boat with me in the water?” Emilio asked. “Yes,” Said Ella, “I will pay.” She felt bad about what she had said earlier in the car. “You better after that insensitive comment!” Emilio said with a smirk. Ella laughed and replied that she gladly would. It felt less tense. After awhile on the water, Ella brought up the fact that she barely knew Emilio, yet she really liked him. She said her parents may be worried that she was with a strange man in a foreign country. “Strange and handsome,” Emilio corrected. “Yeah, whatever,” Ella replied. They both smiled. “Well, what would you like to know? I will tell you anything.” “Are you married?” Ella inquired. He held out his hand, there was no ring. “I feel like this is an interview…” Ella said after the first few questions. “Isn’t it?” Emilio replied. “I guess…” Ella was not sure what to say or do. Suddenly she was worried that Emilio was untrustworthy. “Ella, how about I tell you everything about me and then ask you some questions? If we must go about it this formally.” Emilio felt rather offended, after all he had done for her, that Ella would still not trust him. It was the same as meeting in a class, there were certainly always some untrustworthy people, but it seemed to him he always knew when someone was trustworthy. “Never mind, I am sorry,” Said Ella. “It’s only that, I live in such a remote place, and I am often afraid to trust people.” “Thank you,” Emilio replied. “It has been a pleasure getting to know you, and still is. I will not let you down.”
As the trip continued, they grew closer and closer. Ella discovered that Emilio was a liberal man, which did not surprise her. He did not mind meeting new people, traveling the world on a whim, or even embarrassing  himself through humor, when he felt it was caused for. She loved this about him, he was just spontaneous enough. Sometimes he would say things simply to amuse himself, and he was not self-conscious at all. He was, however, a very conscientious person. He hardly ever took himself seriously, but if he offended someone else, he apologized right away. Ella was beginning to fall in love with him
Emilio found Ella quite fascinating. She was young and beautiful, and always trying to be as polite and respectful as possible. She seemed embarrassed  about her spontaneous side. Sometimes she would make a joke, and it seemed hilarious, but he would not laugh because he could not tell if she was serious or not. Eventually, he realized that anything which was not extremely polite or serious was definitely a joke. He found out she was rather conservative in many ways. For instance, this trip was not a usual sort of excursion for her to go on. She was very aware of the danger of strangers, as well as the many risks that accompanied traveling. Yet he was aware there was a small part of Ella that was thrilled to finally have the adventure of a lifetime.
On a whim, Emilio invited Ella over to see his home and his family. He did not think about whether it was jeopardize their relationship or anything of the sort. He wanted her to come over, and so he invited her. Ella was shocked. She had never met anyone who was so…forthcoming. Before she could truly consider the invitation, she immediately said, “I would love to,” in order to please him.
Chapter 6: Ella’s Encounter with Emilio’s Family
Ella entered the five bedroom, two-story villa in Florence, Italy. It was more than she could ever imagine anyone owning. As soon as she opened the door, about a hundred family members came running to greet her. “Bongiorno darling,” said an older man to her. “Hello she said, politely hugging him. Then a very beautiful woman hugged her for about twenty minutes. After the other ninety-eight family members had hugged her, she went to dinner. This was lovely, but quite overwhelming for her. She was not used to hugging people, and especially not for twenty minutes…
Emilio politely found a way to exit the dinner with Ella. They had been talking constantly about all of the relationships everyone within the family had ever had, with all of the explicit details. Ella was trying to be polite, but she found herself either being giddy or disgusted, or sometimes both. Emilio politely found a way to excuse himself and Ella from the dinner. He knew she would probably have to become accustomed to his family. They were able to take a walk outside, away from his hectic family. “Italians can be passionate,” said Emilio, “but that is a wonderful thing.” “Americans can also be passionate,” Ella said, “but in a different way.” After a long pause, Ella said, “Your family is wonderful.”
Chapter 8: Realizations
“I think I would like to spend more time with you.” Said Emilio. “I love you,” he said. Although it was always the man’s role to initiate this, Emilio couldn’t help feeling queasy. “I love you too,” Ella replied, “But my flight back to Vermont leaves tomorrow. I hope to see you sometime.” Emilio looked heartbroken. “Would you like company?” Of course, I should have invited you.” Emilio packed his bags, thinking that he hardly knew this woman, and yet he knew almost everything about her. She was so incredible, and he trusted her with all his heart. He had always wanted to see Vermont. Ella packed her bags, but had a difficult time staying focused. Emilio loved her, her dream had come true, now there was not as much she had goals about. She was in love and, although she was usually a very sensible person, that seemed to be all that mattered.
Everything went wrong. The plane could not be started so their flight was delayed for twelve hours. Luckily Emilio and Ella had enough money to get a hotel room for the night. Emilio laughed it off, as he did many things in his life. Ella was fairly upset, yet she did not want to share her feelings with Emilio. She was ashamed and embarrassed. Emilio finally, after attempting humor for about thirty minutes, asked her if anything was wrong. She told him she was afraid of going back home with him. When he looked offended, she told him that she loved him, and he was incredible, yet she did not know what her family would think. “I will charm them,” he winked, and reassured her that everything would be alright. After that, they seemed to be doing well. They had conversations deep into the night about their mutual interests. These included books, movies, travel, and a seemingly endless list of things they had in common, and some rare things they did not. By morning, they had fallen in love all over again, and the flight took off. They were both nervous to reach Vermont, yet Ella was eager to finally return home, and Emilio was eager to meet her family.

on Jul. 24 2015 at 10:11 am

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.

other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our fear,
Marianne Williamson

Thanks so much, I am glad you like it! :) I can definitely check out your book!

HudaZav SILVER said...
HudaZav SILVER, Toronto, Other

"Nothing is impossible; the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

I am loving this book so far! The plot, your writing style, the vivid characters.. keep it up! :) PS Could you possibly check out my book "The Art of Letting Go"? I'd appreciate it!