Backstage Cinderella | Teen Ink

Backstage Cinderella

December 10, 2014
By Holli51768, Houston, Texas
More by this author
Holli51768, Houston, Texas
0 articles 11 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I go to seek a great perhaps." -Francois Rabelais


Bee! Bee! Bee! Bee!" Gripping the microphone in my hand, I felt the familiar drips of perspire swimming down the back of my neck as my heart was dancing along to the beat of the music. People were screaming my name, asking for more. This is what I loved. The blinding stage lights changing colors, the smell of unaltered love for music mixed with cheap concessions, the feeling of draining my heart and soul out into the words flowing from my mouth... As I stood on the stage, I looked down into my adoring kingdom. Waves and waves of fans screamed blissfully as I reached my crescendo, singing louder, higher... When suddenly, silence. Then a single scream, mingled with coughs and gags. Pounds of blackness started descending in the stadium like demons swooping in from Hell, clutching their victims. Turmoils of chaos rippled everywhere, children clutching to their mothers, husbands searching frantically for their desperate wives. Gasping for breath, my lungs felt charred by the thick smog. Eyes searching perilously for an escape, they fell upon the root of the problem. A roaring fire glittered off in the distance, angrily engulfing everything in its path. I screamed as I felt myself start to sink at breakneck speed into the ground. The scene of devastation was tumbling away as I started to realize I was about to wake up into another one.

I sat up in bed so fast, I nearly knocked myself out by banging my head on the wall. Breathing heavily, I realized the familiar nightmare still had the same affects on me as it had a million times before. Ever since my parents died, the same dark dream had polluted my mind, making it impossible for me to get sleep.
Swinging my legs over the side of my near nonexistent bed, I stood up groggily. I floor creaked good-morning even though it was only about 4:00 AM. I pulled on my faded blue jeans and The Prime Diner's shirt as well as my well-loved sneakers that were about two sizes too small. Glancing at myself in the mirror, I went through my usual morning ritual of yanking a brush through my frizzy brown hair until it felt like I was ripping off my scalp. Then, putting on some chap stick, I used the last of my beloved mascara that I had just managed to buy for myself as a Christmas present last year. I really was nothing that spectacular. I was average height, average weight and to be honest, average looking. The only thing I had ever gotten a compliment on was my eyes. To most people, they seemed to appear turquoise when the light hit them just right. Other than that, though, I was just plain old Bridget Lanely.
Being as quite as I could, I made my way down from my 'tower' as I referred to it. I slept up in the attic so I was 'out of sight, out of mind' as my cruel foster sister, Darcy, put it. I knew I needed to start breakfast for them as soon as I got to the kitchen, because unlike me, they went to school while I stayed home doing chores or going to work at the diner. The days I worked at the diner were the good days. It meant that I was away from Carlotta, my power-loving foster mom who would love nothing more than to see me shrivel up and become her house maid. Sorting through the elaborate fridge, I thought about doing a good-old-fashioned eggs and bacon breakfast, knowing of course that the girls would hate it and give me a lecture about the 500 calorie meal I had cooked up. This meant that they would grab a granola bar, give me a dirty look and then head out the door which meant that I had leftovers and considering the fact that I hadn't had a full, yummy meal in about three weeks, I decided I might as well treat myself.
Soon enough, the kitchen was filled with the fine aromas of fresh eggs, toast and Oscar Mayor's world famous bacon. I also had to get Darcy's and Brianna's decaf vanilla tea ready to take up to them. Looking at the clock, I saw that I was running two minutes behind, which in my world made all the difference. I sprinted around the kitchen, hastily plopping the tea bags into luke warm water. Boy, would I be getting a mouthful today. Quickly readying the plates, I took the stairs two at a time, nearly spilling the tea, just to get to their rooms. Carlotta would kill me if she knew they had waken up even thirty seconds past the usual time. I set the tea bags down and went in to Darcy's dolled up bedroom. There was a huge wall that was taken up entirely by a mirror accompanied by the biggest walk-in-closet I had ever seen. Sitting in the corner was a plush, pink chair and right in front of it was a giant flat-screen TV. But of course, her bed was my favorite. The bed spread was a stunning lilac that blended into sunset-like colors that was attended by the fluffiest pillows ever. Walking over to the window, I cracked open the thick drapes and stuck her tea on her antique bedside table. Shaking her shoulder gently, I heard Darcy's well-known morning grown.
"God, why do you always have to shake me awake like that? I'm not some animal you know!"  I've always loved Darcy's warm and friendly good-mornings.
"Morning Darcy. I made you some tea, it's on your table."
"Just get out, your weirdness is affecting my brain cells." I rolled my eyes inwardly. Darcy didn't have any braincells. After every semester, she comes and asks me to shred her 'health forms' yet every time I open the so called forms, I just see rows of F's.
I walked out of the room and shut the door quietly and made my way over to Brianna's room. For some reason, I've always preferred Brianna to Darcy. I mean, both of them were pretty mean but I still remember when they first adopted me and Brianna told me she was so excited to have a new sister. That was, of course just before Darcy glared at her and told me that I smelled.
Brianna's room looked similar to Darcy's room by the fact that they probably costed a million dollars but at least Bree's room was slightly more personal. She had her baby grand piano in the corner instead of a TV and lots more photos of her and her 'friends.' I would never tell her this but Bree was just about as bad at making friends as she was at singing and playing the piano. Unfortunately, both of the girls had a tendency to boast a lot about how rich and beautiful they were which wasn't a very good strategy for making people like you. Doing the same as I had to Darcy, I nudged Bree's shoulder gently as I put her tea down. Unlike Darcy's groans, Bree tended to automatically say "Just five more minutes..."
"Come on, Bree. Your mom will kill me if your late again." Carlotta always found some way to blame me for everything.
"Okay, okay." She said, evidently annoyed. As she sat up in bed, I caught a glimpse of her near orange skin and bleach blond hair. Then thing about Bree and Darcy was that they tried to hard to be pretty. I remember when I was younger that I was actually jealous of their beauty but now that seems like a time that they would publish in a history book.
Making my way back downstairs, I found that Carlotta was already sitting on the mammoth sized lounge chair, scowling at me intently.
"This coffee is disgusting, dear." Carlotta always called me dear. I thought it was just about as ironic as she could get.
"Good morning to you, too, Aunt Carlotta." I grumbled.
"What did you say?" She said, eyebrows raised suspiciously.
"I said that I would remake your coffee." I grinned sarcastically.
"Don't sass me, Bridget Lanely." She scolded, turning back to E network. I wanted to gouge my eyes out, but instead I just got back to setting the table.
"WHO MADE BACON?!" Darcy yelled. I could see her mole or 'beauty spot' as she called it start to quiver. That's when I knew she was angry.
"Darcy-"
"Don't Darcy me! Don't you know how many calories are in that meal? Oh, wait. Of course you wouldn't, considering the fact that you don't have a cell in your brain." She stalked off angrily to the butler's pantry and grabbed a Nature Valley Granola bar.
"Well maybe if you would let me got to school, I would be smarter." I whispered, under my breath. I glanced over in Carlotta's direction but it appeared she hadn't heard me as she was listening to Kim Kardashian's various screams.
"We're leaving. Come on Brianna!" Darcy impatiently clacked her Gucci shoes on the floor.
"Wait, I haven't had breakfast!"
"You could benefit from loosing a couple of pounds, Bree. Come on!" They both stalked out the door. According to Darcy, you could never be too skinny.
"I can't believe you made them that again, dear. You know what that means." Carlotta tut-tutted at me, her head still facing the TV.
"That the cost of the breakfast comes directly out of my pocket money." I felt as though I was reciting the line from a text book.
"Exactly. Now, clear up the table, sweep, clean-"
"And polish every room. I know what I'm doing, Aunt Carlotta." Calling her 'mom' sounded like a dirty joke to me so I just stuck with Aunt.
"Good. At least your not completely useless."
Carlotta loved reminding me how stupid I was as well. After clearing the table, I snuck some of the leftovers up to my room. Scarfing down the eggs, toast and bacon with frightening speed, I was starting to regret my plan of eating the girls' leftovers. It probably would've been a lot cheaper if I had just ordered something from the Breakfast Shop but I couldn't resist seeing the looks of disgust on my foster sisters faces. Finishing up my meal, I started my chores around the house. Thankfully I would get to leave at noon today for my shift at the diner. Absentmindedly, I realized I started humming. Singing was kind of like my therapy. It got me through the long days of cleaning and cooking. Plus, apart from my eyes, it was the only thing left that I had from my parents. I knew that I could never become a professional like they so wanted me to. Firstly Carlotta would never let me and secondly, I would have to have a good amount of money saved up to get an agent, new clothes, make-up, and all the rest.
Yup, at this point, I might as well be prisoner.

Walking to the Diner always felt good. We lived on the outskirts of New York, which honestly I preferred because there wasn't much traffic, it was a little greener plus there was less pollution. It was 75 degrees and sunny out today and of course I wished I could just wonder over to the park and take a sun bath but if this was all I was going to get, I'd happily take it. I remembered that my mom used to love going outside with us, we would turn on the sprinkler and everyone would come out in their bathing suits even though we almost froze because it didn't get warm it Portland. After my parents and brother, Cole, died, my mom's will said she wanted me in the foster home in New York if anything ever happened to them. I was shipped away from my home and all my memories. I instantly pushed this thought out of my mind because thoughts like these still brought tears to my eyes and I couldn't face Barbara (my boss) with red, puffy eyes again.
When I rounded the corner, I saw the old Prime Time Diner. It was the only diner in our little neighborhood that was in walking distance (I didn't want to spend money on the bus) so I took a job here around two years ago and lied that I was sixteen when I was actually fifteen. The diner itself was kind of dated but I guess that just added to the theme which was supposed to be a 50's musical setting. I've always thought that was a sick joke played by fate considering the fact that all I wanted to be was a singer. But, despite that, I took the job of a waitress who had to wear a ridiculous 50's waitress costume and roller blades. I remembered on the first day that I was serving some people there drinks when I crashed right into their table and spilled all over them.
When I walked in, the place was hopping. I quickly slipped into the bathroom to change as I wouldn't have been caught dead wearing my 'uniform' in public. After changing, I checked in to my shift and went straight to waiting. As usual, I got into my groove and in-between tables I started humming/singing which nobody noticed as the whole place was filled with Elvis Presley's hit song 'All Shook Up.'
I made my way over to a booth and I nearly crashed into it out of shock. Brianna was inconspicuously hunched over her phone, waiting for someone to take her order. I made my way over to her table thinking that if I didn't, I would surely be hearing about the Diner's slow service tonight. Instead of the usual opening of, "Welcome to Prime Time's, may I take your order?" I asked, "Brianna, what are you doing here, aren't you supposed to be in school?"
"What's it to you? Anyways, I need to speak with you in private."
I looked at her, baffled. When has she ever wanted to talk to me? "Bree, I'm at work, we'll speak later. Now, can I take your order?"
"I'm not about to order something from this grease-trap and I know your at work but I need to talk to you now. "
I knew I wasn't going to get out of this so I just gave in. "Okay, what?"
She looked at me like I was an idiot, not that that was uncommon. "We need to go to the back of the diner. I said I needed to speak to you in private, didn't I?"
"Fine, I'll have to go through the back way, though. See you in a minute."
I skated over to the kitchen and tried to be as innocent as possible. I slipped out the door into the backlot of the diner. "Okay Bree, what is it?" I asked impatiently.
"There's this talent show at school coming up and if you win, you get a free audition to go onto Talented Teen Singers or TTS for short." She said, like this all made sense to how this involved me.
"Okay, so how do I fit in to this?" I looked hastily down at my watch.
"Let's face it. I'm not that talented at singing, but I know someone who is." She said, slyly. I rolled my eyes. Only NOW was she figuring out that she had no career in music. I still didn't get why I was part of this. "I still don't get why your telling me this."
"For heavens sake, Bee! Sometimes you really can be stupid! YOUR the one who can sing!" I looked at her, shell shocked. "How do you know that?" I asked, quietly.
She rolled her eyes again. "Honestly, Bee. Ever since you started working at the house, you've always sung during your work. I've always loved hearing you sing. Anyways, I'm telling you all this because your going to go backstage and I will be performing but here's what'll happen. I'll lip sync and you will sing but it'll sound like I'm singing since your backstage." She stated all of this in a simple tone, as if it was perfectly normal.
"What? I'm NOT doing that! Firstly, I'm not letting you get all the credit for my voice and secondly, there's a mile long list of issues like, How am I going to get out of work? How will I hide backstage? How-" Bree cut me off saying,
"Listen, I've already got this all sorted out. I've been planning this for a while. Mom will do anything I ask, even if that's letting you come to school with me for the day. Also, after we win the contest, which we will, I'll pay you. We might become famous, Bee. Or at least I will, but you will earn tons of cash from me and you'll get to do what you've always wanted. Sing."
I stared at her, open mouthed. She had just offered me a career in singing. I mean, it wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I was little but it was still an offer.
"Listen, Bee. Just think about my offer, okay? Mom thinks I'm an incredible singer and I could be with the help of you. You could finally get what you want! Give me an answer by tomorrow morning."
With that, she walked away, her dyed blond hair waving in the breeze. For the first time in a long time, I had a choice. A weird and some what messed up choice but still a choice. An option. I skated back into the diner, feeling like an entirely different person than I had a few minutes ago.

The rest of work passed by in a blur. I was too preoccupied with the thoughts of Bree's offer. As much as I wanted to say yes, I would be cheating in all the competitive shows we did. But still... I thought that maybe walking home would help clear my mind as there would be no distractions but even when I was halfway home, I still hadn't figured out what I would do. I was so deep in thought, I didn't hear the sound of footsteps behind me when suddenly a pair of arms wrapped around my waist. I tried to scream but no sound came out and I quickly squirmed out of the tight embrace to see who it was that was hugging me. Instantly I let out a sigh of relief, my heart still beating at 100 miles per hour. My best friend Stella's familiar face came into view, looking as confused as ever.
"For heaven's sake Stella, you nearly gave me a heart attack! I thought you were, like, a kidnapper or something!" I yelled. I wasn't really mad at her, I was just scared out of my pants.
"Oh once, my sister kidnapped a baby on accident..." she said dreamily, unfazed by my yelling. I just rolled my eyes. She always made really weird comments but Stella had been my best friend ever since my parents died. I met her in the foster home when she asked if I wanted to have my future told.
"So, did you just finish your shift at Prime Time's?" She asked as she twirled her hair around her finger.
"Yeah, I was just on my way home. I actually have a few questions to ask you." I might as well ask her opinion on my current situation.
"I know you do. That's why I came, silly!" she smiled. I looked at her wanting to ask how she knew I had to talk to her but I just decided to let it go. Some things are better left unsaid anyways.
"So Stella, this might sound a little crazy but..." I told everything that had happened at work today. After I finished, she was staring at me intently like I was the crazy one.
"Why did you even have to ask me? OF COURSE you should do it! Do you know what this means? You finally get to start your dream AND make more money!"
I kicked a rock that was in the middle of the path."But Stella, I would be cheating if I said yes. I mean it would be Brianna singing, not me."
"So what? It's not, like, a sin. Anyways, you highly deserve this opportunity, Bridget Lanely, and I don't want to hear one more word about this." She said with finality.
"Are you sure?" My voice had descended into no more than a whisper now. I just couldn't believe my luck.
"I'm sure. Always remember the number one rule: Always trust Stella Luna." I laughed as she pulled me into a tight embrace, her multi-colored hair draping all around us. I caught a glimpse of her half sun/ half moon tattoo on her shoulder. This is the girl I had always shared secrets with. This is the girl that I trust.
When she finally pulled away, I knew I needed to get home, and fast. Stella probably read my expression on my face pretty well.
"You know, I could just drive you home." She stated blandly. I never really liked having to be seen riding in Stella's car. It was more like a big van, actually. She had painted it all black then put a giant moon sticker on the roof of it. On all the sides of the vehicle, there were werewolf, fairy and vampire car stickers, too. I looked down at my clock. It was almost 6:30 and dinner was supposed to be ready by 7:00.
"Okay, yeah, I guess I'll hitch a ride with you." I said. I just hoped the ride would be quick.
"Cool beans. Come on Chik-a-dee!"
"I thought we agreed to stop calling me that." I pouted, annoyed.
"Old habits die hard." She called back in a sing-songy voice.
I climbed into the front seat, having to shift multiple books about fortune telling. I held one of them up to her.
"Really, Stella?" I asked skeptically.
"Yeah man! I told you, I have a 'the sight.'"
I just sighed and looked out the window.
                                                                            ***********
When we pulled up to my house, I instantly noticed something was different.
"You never told me you got a car! Why didn't you just drive yourself to work?"
"That isn't my car or any of the family's car." Dread was laced in my voice yet Stella was oblivious to it.
"You know, that looks a lot like Jake's Dad's car." She said.
I stared at her, open mouthed. Jake's Dad was a record dealer but that wasn't the thing I was worried about. I had had a crush on Jake ever since I had walked Stella to school three years ago. My heart started pumping hard and I could feel myself blushing all around my face. I got out of the car stiffly.
"See you tomorrow, Stella. That is, of course if I don't die of embarrassment." I said, shakily.
"Okay, see ya!" As she pulled out of the driveway, all of my remaining confidence did too. I started walking up the path to the front door. I slipped in as quietly as possible and made a dash for the kitchen. I quickly checked my appearance in the mirror. My hair had gone wild and frizzy from the heat and I must have sweated a ton because my mascara had somehow managed to drip and smear. My eyes had little bags under them from lack of sleep and I was rosy red from even thinking the name 'Jake.' "Beautiful." I muttered sarcastically. I turned away from the 'thing' in the mirror and started making dinner. Aunt Lottie was surely expecting something amazing from me and no less. Just as I chose the recipe for spaghetti carbonara, Aunt Lottie walked in.
"What is Jake and his dad doing here?" I asked with traces of annoyance in my voice.
"Well, dear, I don't see why you should have to stick your nose in other people's business, but for your information, my little angel Brianna has a beautiful voice, I hear. So I decided to invite the record dealer over and a little extra money would never hurt." I looked at her, baffled. Aunt Lottie was the richest woman in New York. When her very rich husband Henry died, she inherited every last bit of the money and since that was the case, I've always been a little suspicious about his death.
I just decided to ignore the fact that my biggest crush AND a record dealer were sitting in the room next to us. "Is spaghetti carbonara okay?" I questioned, only half interested in her answer.
"Yes its fine, just get on with it! Oh and for heavens sake, don't forget to feed Buttons!" Lottie said in an exasperated tone. Afterwards, she stalked out of the room, her red Valentino dress flowing angrily behind her. Buttons was the girls' pit bull. When they got it, they thought it was a sweet little girl but Buttons a) turned out to be a boy and b) tried to attack anybody who touches him. They keep Buttons up in one of the many guest rooms so nobody would have to see him. I guess I felt bad for the little guy but he was pretty frightening.
I started working on the carbonara. It was my favorite dish to make not only because it tasted so good but my mom always used to cook it for us on Italian night. My parents were both part Italian so they always thought it was necessary to have one night a year that they threw an Italian themed party. I sighed. My memories of my past life would never go away but I guess that was a good thing. I loved remembering all the fun I used to have.
Finishing the carbonara, I decided to serve it on our best dishes, not that I ever got to eat off of them, of course. I topped it with parsley and a sprinkle of salt, just like my mom would've done. I picked two plates up for Jake and his dad and realized my hands were shaking. I took a deep breath and walked into the dining room.
Stan, Jake's dad, was seated at the head and Jake himself was positioned right next to him. They both sat very stiffly, looking rather uncomfortable but then again, I wouldn't want to have to eat with my foster family either. As I put their meals down in front of them, I took a quick peak at Jake. He was just as I remembered. He had brown, surfer styled hair and crisp, clear blue eyes. His build was muscular and athletic and he was extremely tall. I studied his face more closely and as stiff as he was, his eyes carried a look of mischief about them. Jake was both beautiful and sad to look at because he strongly reminded me of my brother Cole who had been my best friend before the fire took him.
Stan looked like his son except he was hard and cold on the outside. He was completely serious and unlike his son's cheek-filled eyes, Stan was stoic and solid.
"Thank you." Stan said as I set his dinner in front of him. "And will you be joining us for dinner?" I opened my mouth to say something but Aunt Lottie beat me to it.
"This is our housekeeper, Bridget, Stan. She won't be joining us for dinner though." I felt so loved. Housekeeper? Really?
"She looks a little young to be a housekeeper, Carlotta." Stan stated suspiciously.
"Please Stan, call me Lottie. And no, she is not young. Bridget's about 25 now, actually." I rolled my eyes inwardly. Stan muttered something under his breath but I didn't catch it. I went back into the kitchen to get everybody else's meal then I went upstairs to feed Buttons.
                                                                 ***********************

I heard growling before I even opened the door. "Shoot." I muttered. Button's dinner was late and he was bound to be mad about it.  "Okay," I told myself, "Just open the door quickly and drop his food bowl in." I slowly turned the handle when suddenly I heard the phone ringing. I was so startled that I channeled my nervous energy into whipping the door open and before I knew it, Buttons was sprinting down the stairs. "Buttons!" I yelled as quietly as I could. I started running off after the dog, nearly falling down the full flight of stairs. To my luck, she was headed straight towards the dining room.
"Bree, dear, why don't you sing for us?"
"Really, Carlotta, I think we should be going."
"Oh but Stan-"
Carlotta was cut off by Darcy's scream. "How did HE get down here?" She yelled, standing on her chair. I plunged into the room, already sweating where I was greeted by a death stare from Aunt Lottie.
"GET THAT DOG OUT OF HERE NOW, BRIDGET!" She screamed when suddenly I felt something tear. I looked down in shock to see Buttons ripping my pants right off me. I flung to the ground, trying to get a hold of him, but just before I grabbed him, he tore right through the back of my pants. I stood up, feeling hotness flower all over my face. I ran upstairs gripping the growling beast feeling absolutely humiliated.
After I locked Buttons in his room and put on a pair of new pants, I headed back downstairs to do the dishes. I was still feeling really embarrassed so I just hoped that they would both be gone. But to my unfortunate surprise, they were heading out the door. Lottie was in some argument with Stan and Jake was looking at some painting of a naked woman. Darcy and Brianna were no where in sight so I just quickly turned around and headed for the stairs when I felt a hand on my shoulder start to turn me. "Oh, no, please, God no..." I thought. But before I knew it, I was staring right into the guy's eyes who saw my hot pink underwear not minutes ago.
"Hey man, thanks for sparing my dad and I the misery of hearing that chic Bree sing." He laughed. I noticed that he had dimples when he smiled.
I looked at him, confused. "Uhhh, your welcome, I guess?" I said, unsurely.
To my good fortune, he laughed and turned away to walk out with his dad. I guess I was gawking at the door because Aunt Lottie snapped in my face.
"Well, well, well. I guess we finally found out who let the dogs out." Aunt Lottie said dryly. "You know what this means. No meal for you tonight or tomorrow morning, dear. Now, get on with the dishes!" She yelled harshly.
And so I did.

I woke up groggily which wasn't really a surprise considering I had stayed up pretty late doing dishes and that my bed wasn't the most luxurious one in the world. I stretched out my arms to the ceiling and I studied my rough and calloused hands. I remembered when they used to be soft and smooth. It also kind of scared me that I couldn't remember the last time I had had a manicure. Stretching out my fingers, I felt that horrible feeling that I was missing something when suddenly, I realized that I was. I sucked in my breath and bolted straight up right in bed, staring frantically around the room. Thankfully I saw a little golden wink on the window pane and I sighed out, relieved. I grabbed my golden charm bracelet and started weaving it absentmindedly through my fingers. It was a pretty simple bracelet, it only had one golden music note dangling off it. It probably didn't really even hold much value, even if it was gold. My father had given it to me as a 14th birthday present, the last birthday present I had actually ever received from any of my family members because it was that night that the fire started. I still remember what he said when he gave it to me. It was in a small, black pouch that he had stuck unwrapped in his back pocket. His big hands opened mine and put the bracelet in my palm. He said that he had given it to me so that whenever I shared my talent with the world and became famous everywhere that I would recall a little thing called family and home. I hugged him gratefully, not really even thinking about the bracelet in that way. I just thought it was the sweetest and most beautiful gift he could've ever given.
It was the only possession that I had. Everything else had either been burned or sold. I fastened it on my wrist as I had done thousands of times before and in that moment, I knew that my decision had been made. I was going to say yes to Bree.
I walked quietly over to my foster sister's room. It was still pretty early in the morning (especially on the weekend) but I had  feeling that she wouldn't mind me waking her to tell her this. Pushing the heavy oak door open as slowly as humanely possible, I tip-toed to the side of her bed, nudging her softly awake.
"Bree, it's me. I've made my decision about the talent show." She cracked open one normal, brown colored eye open. This was the only time of day I would see her without blue contacts.
"Well," she said evenly (though I spotted the slightest bit of anticipation), "what's the verdict?"
I took a deep breath. "Yes." I had only said one word yet it had just changed everything.
Bree smiled. "I'm so glad to hear you say that, Bee. Listen, let me wake up and get dressed so we can go grab breakfast together, or something. Then we can head over to the studio and you can practice the song, okay?"
I looked at her skeptically. "You already booked an appointment in a studio before I even said yes?" I asked
"I just had a feeling, an incline, that you might choose yes." She said blandly though I could her the slight teasing tone in her voice. I walked out of the room to head upstairs and change. It really only hit me that I was going to a studio to practice my singing when I got to my room. Rummaging through my small box of clothes, I pulled out my special-outing outfit which was a plain lavender tee-shirt and navy blue shorts. It wasn't that spectacular but at least it was something other than my worn out jeans and Prime Time's shirt. I stuck my frizzy mass of hair up into a messy bun and hopped downstairs.
I found that Aunt Lottie was already sitting in her usual place on the lounge chair. She looked at me with wide eyes.
"Well someone decided to look presentable today. Where are you off to?" She asked with a clipped tone, undeniably still annoyed about last night.
I was about to open my mouth to say something pathetic like 'the grocery store' but thankfully Bree dashed into the room to save me.
"Hi mom, Bridget was just going to take me out to help me buy some school supplies. We should be back later, okay?" Bree didn't even let Lottie get another word in before she grabbed my wrist and yanked my out the door.
                                                         *************************************
If I had to predict one impossible thing that would happen in my life, sitting with Bree at Starbuck's having breakfast would've been at the top of the list.
I sat in silence, awkwardly. It was weird that I had almost lived with her for three years and I didn't know one thing about her.
"So...." I said, trying to ask her something other than 'what's your favorite color?', "What's todays plans?"
Bree put her coffee down. She had bought me breakfast which was nice but also a little weird. "Well, after this, we'll go down to the studio for about an hour or two then I'll need to buy an outfit or something and since we only have one car, you'll have to come with me." I groaned inwardly. I would probably have to go to a thousand designer shops before we found something.
Something struck me. I didn't know the song we were singing. Taking a bite out of my cinnamon role, I asked "Hey, Bree, that reminds me. What song am I singing?"
She grinned cheekily. "Well, it took me a while but I decided that all songs should say something about the singer and even though I'm not technically singing, I'm still the one who will be performing. So I chose the song Pretty Woman." She said happily.
I would've laughed if I wasn't so horrified. "Pretty Woman?" I said, shocked. "That song's, like from the 1960's! Bree, nobody's going to know what we are singing! They all want modern songs."
She just stared at me stubbornly. "Well I want to do it and unless you don't want this job, you'll be singing any song I like."
I opened and shut my mouth. It was useless to try to argue with her. As much as I was starting to like her, she was still a spoiled little girl who got whatever she wanted.
I took one more sip of my coffee and stood up. Bree looked up at me, curiously. "Well, what are we waiting for then? Let's go."
She jumped up so fast, she nearly spilled her coffee. "Alright, follow me. The studio's only about a block and a half away." Her high-heels struck the ground so hard I thought that when she stepped on the cracks, not only was one mom's back being broken but about twenty of them.
I caught up to her, surprised how fast she walked and before I knew what I was doing I blurted out, "Do you know if Jake is dating anybody?" Straight away, I realized my mistake. Clamping my hand over my mouth, I peeked at Bree to see if she was angry.
Surprisingly, I only saw a thoughtful look on her face but then a frown quickly followed. "Yeah, he's single but I've been trying to get him to ask me out for years but he hasn't budged so if I were you, I would just avoid him all together." She had a note of finality in her voice and I knew that was all I was going to get out of her on that subject.
Turning the corner, I looked for the studio. It easily caught my eye for it was the only glamorous building on the street. It was a medium sized wooden building with swirling music notes painted on the outside. Two large windows were fitted next to the glass door and little strips of flowers grew right in front. I immediately felt like I was returning home.
Bree most have noticed the expression on my face. "It's really nice, isn't it? She said, mostly to herself. I felt a little twang of sadness for her spike up in me. Bree probably wanted to be here by herself accompanied by her amazing voice that unfortunately didn't exist.
She opened the door for me and I stepped into a cozy feeling reception. Posters of famous singers and bands hung on all the walls. The Grateful Dead, Kiss, Taylor Swift and even Elvis Presley. I smiled to myself. This is where I belonged.
"Hello, may I help you?"A voice spoke from the corner. A kindly looking receptionist looked at Bree and I with her big, brown eyes.
Bree stepped forward. "Hello, I'm Bree Freeton. I made an appointment earlier this week to use Studio 5."
The receptionist looked at her with in disbelief, but only for a second. Everybody knew the Freeton's around here so even when they popped into the grocery store, people would always want to meet the famous millionaires.
The lady at the desk clicked a few times on her computer before saying, "Right this way, Miss. Freeton."
I followed Bree to a largest recording room I had ever seen. My parents would sometimes take me to one to tour but none of the ones I had seen had been this big.
The receptionist, Sarah, pointed to a familiar man dressed in jeans and a green tee-shirt in the corner
"This is Jake. He works here as a trainee but he's very good at what he does so I assure you that your in the best of hands." Sarah smiled just before she turned and left.
I gasped nervously, 'Jake' still hadn't turned around from whatever he was doing. I wasn't entirely sure that it was the Jake but I had a feeling of doom that it was.
Sure enough, when he turned around, his familiar clear blue eyes met ours. "Brianna?," he said, obviously as shocked as we were. "What are you doing here?" he asked, sounding ever so slightly annoyed.
Bree looked offended. She obviously had heard his annoyed tone, too. "Well, Jake, my cousin here loves to sing so I agreed to bring her here for obvious reasons."
Jake's look of annoyance was traded for one of confusion. "Wait, hold up. I thought that she was your housekeeper."
Bree looked horrified, she was better at acting than I thought she was. "Of course this is not our housekeeper! This is Grace, my mom's sister's daughter. She's visiting all the way from Portland. So stop gawking at us and let's get on with recording!" For as much as Bree seemed to have a crush on Jake, her temper certainly didn't care.
Jake just scowled and pushed and turned some buttons. "Okay, you can go ahead and start. Just stand at the microphone, put the headphones on and give me a thumbs up when your ready." He spoke casually as he leaned back lazily in his chair.
Suddenly I felt very nervous. I was about to sing in front of Jake!  I started thinking of all the things that could go wrong. I guess I didn't realize that I was just standing there because all of a sudden I felt Bree push me impatiently into the booth. I then just decided to put on my big girl panties and sing.
I stuck to head phones on and gave the thumbs up. I heard the famous start of Pretty Woman and then, I sung. I sung with all my heart, pouring everything I had out into the lyrics. It felt like forever before the song finally but sadly, cut off. I opened my eyes to see the shocked faces of Jake and Bree. I instantly started panicking. Maybe I was really bad a singing. Maybe I had always been bad.
"Was...did...Did I do something wrong?" I said in a small voice, terribly nervous that all my dreams would come crashing down like they always did.
After what seemed like a millions years, Jake finally looked at me straight in the face with a look of passion.
"No...no...," he stuttered, "You, you just..... I've never heard anybody's voice sound as amazing as yours did just then." His eyes were full of wonder as he punched a few more buttons, never taking his eyes from mine.
"Let's go from the top again." Jake said, almost excitedly.
And so we did.
                                                          ****************************
It was about three hours later and I felt as though I was three years older. After I had sung Pretty Woman over and over and over again, the song itself started to sound pretty ugly to me. I stepped out of the studio feeling a sense of relief wash over me. I had done it. I had sung my heart and soul out and managed to impress not only Bree but also the sexiest guy alive. I shuffled over to Bree just as my legs gave way. I plopped onto the ground and leaned my tired body against the wall. I glanced over at Jake who was already typing furiously away on his big, fancy computers and my heart contracted. He was the first guy I had met (other than my brother) who found a real passion in music and who loved my voice. A warm, sweet feeling spread all around my body making everything feel all tingly with excitement. Oddly enough, I had a new burst of energy and sprang up from the ground. I looked at Bree expectantly.
"Sooooo.....," I questioned curiously, "What's next?"
"Well, you look pretty beat to me so I guess we should just go home. I suppose I can just wear something old for the performance tomorrow." She sighed, sounding annoyed.
I didn't comment. I had totally forgotten about our 'shopping trip' that was scheduled and to be honest, trucking along through millions of designer stores with my foster sister just didn't sound so appealing at the moment.
Bree started sauntering sulkily out the door, she clearly was aware of the grudge Jake held against her and I suppose she was still irked over it. I took one more fleeting glance at him before stepping out the door. He was hunched over some machine with too-big headphones on. His head turned ever so slightly and for the briefest moment, he caught my eye and I swear I felt fire light up inside of me. I turned away, flushed.
"Hope to see you soon, Bree's cousin!" He yelled, oblivious to the fact that he actually was yelling.
I grinned ever so slightly, making sure I didn't make eye contact with Bree.

Bree and I walked back to the car in silence. Despite me being at least 5 feet away from her, I could feel the waves of anger rolling off her. I guess I couldn't really blame her, though. I felt sort of guilty even though none of what had happened had been my fault. A) She wanted me to sing well and I knew that it was hard for her to see me 'steal her talent,' but still. B) I was not expecting Jake to like me (Bree's cousin) any better than he had liked Bree herself. I was fed up with people blaming me for everything when in actual fact, I had not done anything.
Without me really thinking about the consequences (I tended to never think about consequences) I stormed up to her. My foster-sister's face was scrunched up into a permanent scowl, making her makeup smudge all over the place.
"Bree," I began, "I'm sorry I had to steal your talent and crush all in one day but I'm sick and tired of people dumping all of their accusations on me and I sure as hell don't need it from you!" I huffed outwardly, blowing a stray lock of hair upwards.
Bree turned and glared at me. "I never said I was mad at you, Bridget." She grunted, sternly at first. Then suddenly the scowl on her face turned to a look of pure depression. "I'm jealous of you."
Staring at her dumbfounded, she picked up her pace and I was practically jogging to keep up with her.
"Your jealous of me? Please tell me that's some kind of sick joke."
"No, I'm serious Bee!" She cried, unlocking the car, "You at least had a real family, people who cared about you and loved you. You at least have a real friend who is just like family. You at least were raised and brought up well, brought up with a heart."
I stared at Bree's tear-strewned face, make-up running down it like mini-streams. "I never knew you thought that way." I whispered.
"Well, now you do." Bree wiped her face harshly with the back of her hand, smearing her purple mascara. I realized that I has just seen the real Bree, the Bree underneath extreme dieting, sister's influence and fake tanning. I also realized that that moment of revealing was over
As we pulled into the driveway, she stopped the car, making no move to get out. Then I did what I never thought I would've before. I leaned over and hugged her, quick but soft. I didn't say anything as I climbed out but before I slammed the door, Bree looked at me with a ghost of a smile.
"I hope your ready to kick some butt tomorrow, little step-sister." And with that, she wheeled away, probably off to find some new outfit.
I walked up the steps to the back door and crept silently to the attic. Bree told me earlier that they would just go out to dinner tonight and I would have the house to myself. Usually on rare nights like these, I would call Stella up and we would sit in their big movie room and watch old Hitchcock movies until we were screaming. But the second I got up to my tower, I crashed. I was pooped from the day's activities and I didn't even bother changing out of my clothes before I hit the hay.







                                          *************************************************
"Rise and shine, buttercup." I nearly screamed when I saw Bree's hair extensions draping over my face.
"For heavens sake, Bree, you nearly gave me a heart attack!" I rasped. I clamped a hand to my mouth, Bree's eyes wide.
"What happened to your voice?" Her voice trembled.
"I...I...I don't know." To my horror, my throat had gone completely hoarse.
Bree's face (for once) went white. She was dressed in a hot pink sparkly dress that hugged her body way too tight. It would've been comical but for some reason I just didn't feel like laughing. Suddenly, Bree's face filled with color again.
"Listen, get into your outfit and I'll go downstairs to make some tea. You can just drink it on the way to school, everything will be fine!" My foster-sister dashed sown the stairs as serious doubt-flies filled my tummy.
I quickly yanked on my black pants, black shirt and black shoes, feeling like I was going to a funeral. I stuck my frizzy hair into a fast pony tail and hopped down the stairs.
I automatically smelled the cheap aroma of lipton tea but at least it was better than nothing. Bree poured the slightly suspicious mixture into a styrofoam cup and we headed out the door
I opened my mouth to ask if people would notice me but before I could say anything Bree put her hand over my mouth.
"No speaking until after the performance." She mentioned sternly.
I got into the car and grabbed a coffee stained napkin and pen. I scribbled down, But how will we know if I can sing?
Bree kept her eyes on the road. "People have heard me sing before so they won't be expecting a beautiful voice so it won't matter if we mess up. Anyways, we don't have to worry about you flubbing up because, well, you won't."
I just kept my thoughts and doubts to myself, not that I could say anything anyways. I looked out the window, thoughtfully and I saw two teenage girls walking on the sidewalks with backpacks slung over their shoulder. A flower of nervousness bloomed inside my stomach. I had never been anywhere near a high school, mostly to save myself from self-pity. As we pulled up into the school district, my fears were confirmed. A wave of hate washed across me. Students everywhere were walking lazily across the lawn, laughing, smiling from ear to ear. Some guy was cornering a nerd and some girl was making out with what looked like to be a jock. The feeling of normalcy and happiness was draped across this place like a cloak. Aunt Lottie was the one to blame, she was the one who took me and locked me up. She thought I was weak and stupid, too little and shy to do anything but cook and clean. My anger was replaced with a feeling of determination. I would prove Carlotta wrong and my parents right. I was going to win this competition, even if only Bree and Stella knew about it.
As she pulled into a too-small parking space, I hopped out and stood up straight. I totally didn't look inconspicuous as everybody else was dressed in casual colors.
Bree locked her hot pink convertible and tossed her keys into her Gucci bag (I thought it was a little too fancy, but whatever.)
"Alright, Chika," she said with an air of confidence. This was her home turf after all. "here's the dealio. I'm going to walk you down to the auditorium and tell the crew you'll be helping with backstage stuff. It's so chaotic back there they won't even notice you don't go here. Then, Bee, I'm going to grab and set up your microphone and you're going to sneak into the storage closet." Bree paused for a breath. "You will wait there silently until they announce my name then, well, you know the rest."
Bree turned away, flipping her hair over her shoulder with a sense of purpose. As she started walking, high heels clacking against the pavement, my confidence started slowly ebbing away. As much as I dreamed about going to high school, this place was unfamiliar and cold. I felt myself shrinking in Bree's shadow, trying to go unnoticed. I didn't really have to try, though. Students were hastily weaving through the crowds, pushing through the hallways to be on time for lessons. Nobody bothered to look at me but I was used to that feeling now, anyways.
Rounding the corner, I saw two large double door gaping wide open. The room beyond them was a huge, vast space filled with rows and rows of chairs. At the end was a huge stage accompanied by lush, red velvet curtains and to the right of that was the flag pole. Bree directed me to another set of side doors which lead us straight to backstage. If she was right about one thing, she was right about backstage. It was hustling and bustling with black shadows, the only form of color that was to be seen was the occasional glint of blond or red hair.
I was taking it all in when suddenly, someone gripped my shoulders. Bree spun me around to face her, straight on. "Okay listen up, Chik-a-dee, this is real life. I'm going to go get your microphone set up and your going to look like you fit in back here. I'll be back in five."
She clacked off almost silently compared to the noise that surrounded me. I made myself look like I was straightening the curtains, it was the only thing that came to mind. Bree's words echoed in my head. "It's real life." I was about to 'perform' in front of the whole school with a possibly worn out voice. I sucked in my breath and twiddled with my lucky charm bracelet. I had worn it especially for today. I felt like that I had one more little connection with my dad whenever I wore it and today, I needed that connection like I had never needed it before.
Seconds later, Bree stomped back into view, holding a very professional looking microphone. I felt the color fade from my face. This was it.
Bree handed me the microphone without saying a word. I guess I hadn't really realized how nervous she probably was as well. I held the piece of cold, black material in my hands as if my life depended on it which I suppose it kind of did.
Just before I escaped to the storage room, I felt myself gravitate towards the stage. I don't really know why I did it because looking out on a full house doesn't soothe your nerves. Pupil after pupil filed in, looking bored and annoyed. I guess the last thing they wanted to do was sit and listen to talentless singer after singer. I spotted Darcy blabbing to some girl with a tight expression on her face. "Poor her," I thought. My eyes traveled a little longer and I spotted Aunt Lottie sitting and texting in the back. She looked ridiculous in the tight red dress she wore but I guess I couldn't control the world. Finally, though, I found who I was looking for. Stella sat at the far right of the auditorium looking skinny and weird. She obviously wasn't interested in talking to anyone, unlike the rest of the school was. I felt my self relax a little. If my best friend was here, I could do anything.
The feeling didn't last for long because just as I was turning back, a familiar face caught my eye. His brown hair fell casually over his bored looking eyes as he sat slightly slumped in his chair. Jake. My heart began fluttering like a bird stuck in a cage. Even though I had sung in front of him before, my pulse leaped to the thought of doing it again.
Suddenly feeling very dizzy, I sank to my knees, placing my head between them. "Pull yourself together, Bee," I told myself, "Your not going to get love sick right now."
I jumped up and pushed the thought of Jake behind me, heading over to the storage closet. I slipped inside, locking the door behind me. Yanking the light on, I leaned my ear against the door.
A booming voice that I had to assume was the principal's filled the hall. "Ladies and Gentlemen, I am proud to announce that this year we will be having our 15th anniversary of The Jones Angels!" Half hearted clapping filled the room. "Without further ado, please welcome Anna-Lee Wilkonson to the stage!"
For the next fifteen minutes, I heard some bad singer, some okay singer and some good singers, but honestly I was so consumed with my own fear that I almost missed when they announced Brianna's name.
My heart was pounding and abruptly I felt an odd throbbing on my wrist. I looked down to see my bracelet almost glowing. I shook my head. I was going crazy, but still....
I stood up and inhaled. Even from here I could hear Bree's high heels clapping against the floor. Anxiety filled my lungs, the moment had come. The all to familiar introduction of the classic Pretty Woman exploded throughout the auditorium.
Five, four, three, two...
The lyrics of the song shot out of my mouth with such force I thought I might be pushed back. The familiar feeling of singing took me over. I just let myself pour into the song, feel the music. As I was singing, a feeling of love and warmth spread all over me. I could hear my parents praise as I sung and I knew this was what I was meant to do. Every time, music seemed to unlock my soul, unlock all the happiness that I had kept so far from surfacing. I thought of Jake, his look of amazement when I first sang to him. I thought of Bree's jealousy when she heard my voice and finally I thought of how proud my family always was when they heard me sing.
For the rest of the song, I poured my heart into it and when it finally ended, I heard what I never thought I would ever hear. First the shuffling of chairs that meant the audience was standing and then an eruption of applause and various whistling and 'Bravo's!' and for the first time in a long time, I smiled, feeling very, very proud of myself.

I waited anxiously, ears pressed up against the door. There had been a small intermission while the judges calculated their final scores and choices. Bree said she would come straight to see me after the performance but I had not seen her since. I wanted to believe that she was just re-applying up her make-up but my gut said that she had probably already forgotten about me when suddenly the door was yanked open, making me tumble to the ground with it.
Bree yanked me up and crushed me in an embrace. Stella stood right behind her, grinning from ear to ear. Bree released me and started jumping excitedly up and down.
"We did it, Bridget! I can't believe we pulled it off!" She squealed with delight.
I smiled softly and hugged Stella. There was something in her squeeze that felt off though. I pulled back to study her face and since I had known her for so long, I knew something was bothering her.
"Stella..." I started
"Bee, we have no time for talk, there about to announce the winners!" Brianna quickly shoved me back into the closet even though I saw no real reason to it.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, once again, we have had a very successful talent show! We would now like to announce the winners of today's performance." The principal declared. There was a pause which I thought was a bit over-dramatic but I wasn't the one running the show.
"In third place," he boomed, "we have Chrisy Allens!" I stifled a laugh, Chrisy was one of the only singers I remembered because she was so bad.
"Second place goes to; Henry Darnson!" Clapping filled the room but was hastily cut off by the mere curiosity of who got first place.
"And finally, the judges have chosen one single student who will have the once-in-a-life-time opportunity to perform live on TTS. This years winner is," I sucked in my breath, my heart feeling like it was being pounded by donkey-kong.
"Brianna Freeton!" The hall burst into cheers and applause and I sunk to the ground feeling a little light headed. We had won. I did it!
I burst out of the closet, ready to jump on stage and accept my prize when I stopped short. Brianna had won it, not me. A sinking feeling descended on my chest. I guess I knew this would happen but even knowing something doesn't stop the wild train of emotions you might feel. I peeked through the curtains, just like I had done at the start of the show. Brianna was doing the classic 'princess wave' and she was beaming like there was no tomorrow, I even saw Lottie standing up at the back, clapping wildly. It was the most emotion she had ever expressed. I then found myself staring at Jake. What a surprise. He was the only person sitting down, staring at his hands and that's when I realized he knew. He knew that I was the one singing and knowing that made my spirit jump; even if he was the only one that realized that it wasn't Bree who was supposed to get all the credit was enough.
Out of the blue, the backstage crew sprang from their rest, busying themselves with the after show chores and I decided that that was my queue to find Bree and get home.
I walked down the steps as if I was on air for I was still high in the clouds about winning. I nearly bumped into a few students, I was so dazed but one person brought me straight out of it. Aunt Lottie. I spotted her in the back of the room, paying no attention what so ever to me but I realized that she thought I was at home, working away. I automatically picked up my pace, craning my neck through the dense crowd to try and spot Brianna. In the corner of my eye, I spotted a glimpse of yellow (not blonde) hair and ran over to it. My foster-sister was leaning casually against the wall, talking and laughing with girls who obviously held quite a high status in the school. Their skirts were so small they could've passed for belts and the shirts the wore were more like bra's than anything, but I pushed my thoughts out of my head, concentrating on my one task of getting home.
"Bree, hi, listen, I-" Some chic with a skirt-belt cut me off saying
"Bree, who is this?" She kind of snarled as if she were disgusted whilst she said it.
I looked at Bree, anxiously. She was the only one who could get me home but I had seen these scenes in chick-flicks one too many times. The newly popular girl who owed something to the small, ugly one was about to disown their friendship with saying something like, "I have no clue." and then laughing wildly.
I braced myself and closed my eyes, knowing exactly what she was about to say.
"Sorry, kiddo, but you are so not in our league, whoever you are. Keep trying." Bree smiled sadistically.
Even though I knew what was about to happen, nothing could've prepared me for the blow I felt. I thought that after all of these years that maybe I was actually becoming friends with Brianna Freeton but clearly I was just another little pawn in her grand plot.
I turned away before they could see the tears in my eyes. I ran down the cluttered hallway, pushing people left and right out of the way when all at once I felt somebody's arms surrounding me. I didn't know how she knew but Stella embraced me like she knew this would happen all along. She took my hand and pulled me quickly through the rest of the school, weaving expertly through all the various twists and turns.
We finally reached the exit and the minute I was outside, I took a long, deep breath even though I realized we had no time to waste.
"Stella, listen, could you-" But I stopped talking as I saw my loony best friend already walking toward the 'mystery mobile.' I never wanted to believe it but sometimes it was hard to ignore the fact that Stella always managed to know what was going to happen next.
I hopped in shotgun, yanking my hot pink seatbelt on as she pressed hard on the gas pedal. The van skidded onto the road as we made way towards my house.
"How did you know that Bree was going to do that, Stella?" I asked, honestly curious now.
The other girl just snorted, though. "Come on, Bee. We've watched enough bad hollywood movies to know that the second she won, you would just become another person to her."
I just rolled my eyes. I guess I hadn't signed up to become Bree's new BFF, but still she could've at least shown a little gratitude.
As we made the last right before Patrator Avenue, (our neighborhood), I asked Stella to drop me off a block before my house. I couldn't very well show up in front of Lottie in the mystery mobile and as the vehicle came to a screeching holt, I jumped out, giving a quick wave to my real sister.
I started running towards the famous mansion with all the speed I could muster. As I was running, I noticed the all to familiar white Porsche zip around the corner. Darting into the trees hugging the sidewalk, I took the back path to out house. I jumped, dodged and ducked under all the various trees, rocks and roots. I couldn't remember the last time I used the 'emergency path' but I still knew the old walk like the back of my hand.
After what seemed like hours, I finally emerged from the thicket, my lungs screaming for air. I dashed up the back porch steps and hurried into the kitchen just as the front door opened. I busied myself with scrubbing a probably already clean dish but at that point I was out of options.
"Hi Aunt Lottie, how was the show?" I grumbled, still slightly out of breath.
I wasn't expecting a reply and I didn't get one, either. My foster mom just clacked purposely over to her office, which was very unusual. Very, very unusual. Carlotta hasn't bothered with even the idea of work since Henry died and she's only ever gone in their to tell me to dust it.
She didn't fully close the door, leaving it slightly ajar. I honestly couldn't help myself, so I took a few steps closer to the room, inclining my ear in the general direction.
"Yes, she did absolutely wonderful.... Yes-, well-, LISTEN ANDREA!" If their was one thing I knew about Aunt Lottie, it was that she didn't like to repeat herself.
"I wanted to throw a big party at the Fellowship hall for her tonight so your going to have to start calling up her friends from school, various record dealers, a few press members maybe. You know the procedure, Andrea, just get on with it.
Carlotta flipped her phone shut with an air of annoyance. Sitting down in a plush chair, she logged on to Henry's old computer, typing something about 'motherly fashion' into Google. I turned away, heading back to the kitchen, sighing. I've always wanted to go a big party where famous people were invited. Everything would be covered in the perfume of VIP, sparkling with expense and glamour.
As I anchored into my fantasy world, I didn't even know that Lottie stood not five feet away from me, staring with amusement.
"You want to go tonight, don't you?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.
I went white, she must've seen me eaves dropping on her.
"I... well, yes, I mean no... I mean..." I stuttered.
Lottie strutted right up to me, squaring her shoulders, making me feel very small indeed.
"You can go if you finish these chores before 6:30, dear." She said sweetly before shoving a balled up piece of paper in my hand.
I looked at her, dumbstruck. I quickly unraveled the list, my eyes devouring the tasks. But just as quick as my little glimmer of hope was created, it was doused out by waves of sorrow. The size of the paper was small, but so was the print. Over 500 chores were listed in tiny writing, all things from cleaning the dishes to bigger things like re-painting the shed.
Lottie just laughed, almost evilly before she stomped away. Just before though, she flipped her hair over her shoulder saying, "Good luck dear! Oh, and don't try listening in on private business again."
I simply turned back to the sink, feeling empty.
                                                                                  **********
It was about 3:00 when I heard the door open and close. I knew exactly who it would be and I didn't want anything to do with her. I took my sponge and started cleaning the dishes harder with an air of purpose. Maybe if she saw I was working, she wouldn't disturb me. I had a feeling Bree would come and try to apologize but it would be some kind of half hearted one with some stupid reason as to why she did what she did in the first place.
As always, Brianna's heels made quite an entrance when suddenly they stopped dead. I could feel her eyes burning in the back of my head when she said quietly,
"Bee.... I don't even know what to say."
I wheeled around at her, feeling anger course through my veins. "You had to do that, didn't you? After all I did, winning the contest and everything! You repay me like that?" I spluttered. "Your just so cliche, Brianna." I muttered.
"Listen, Bridget, I know your really mad and you have every right to be so. My behavior back there was completely unacceptable." Bree's eyes suddenly became very interested in the floor.
I sighed outwardly, trying to reclaim my cool.
"Bridget, you were so incredibly amazing and you've made everything I've ever wanted come true. I'm so sorry."
I could tell this was a pretty authentic apology so I just went with it. Turning back slowly to face her, I felt my heart constrict just a little. She really did look ashamed of herself.
"Your forgiven, Brianna. Just, please don't let it happen again." I huffed as I returned to my various chores.
I heard her running towards me and embrace me.
"Thank you so much, Bee! I really don't deserve you. Listen, my mom told me about tonight and we're going to sneak you out," I looked at her confused. Even if she did sneak me out, somebody would still recognize me. She must have noticed my look as she quickly finished her plan. "So my idea is is to dress you up in a masquerade gown so no one will recognize you!" She squealed, bubbling with excitement.
I looked up at her, shocked.
"You really are going to do this for me?"
She snorted. "Bridget, you just won us a once in a lifetime opportunity, it was the LEAST I could do. Come on, I'll go grab my bag and then we'll head out to buy you a dress!" My foster sister squealed in delight.
We ran up to her bedroom so she could quickly grab her purse. Then it dawned on me. There was no way in heaven that I was going to be able to afford a dress for tonight.
"Bree," I said, hesitantly, "One problem. I don't have ANY money to buy a dress."
"Don't worry, silly, I've got tons!" She said as she slipped into Darcy's room for some unknown reason.
After she emerged, we went straight back down to her car and headed down East Street.
"Wait....whoa, whoa, whoa...East Street? Everything over here is like, 500 dollars." I yelped.
Bree just shook her head slightly as we pulled into the poshest looking costume shop I had ever laid eyes on.
Hopping out, I saw that the main display in the window was a huge, flowering dress in the design of a peacock. Aqua's, lilac's and emerald's spilled every wear over the gown that looked like it had authentic peacock feathers on it. The mask above it was giant, stunning colors exploding out from it in every direction.
I was in heaven when we entered the store. Soft, senseless jazz was playing in the back round and it smelled of roses and expensive perfume. Rack after rack of exquisite ball gowns filled the store to the brim. I was floating on air.
"Bridget, snap out of it, okay? You've got to start looking and trying on stuff, okay?" Brianna clucked.
I scanned the store for a few seconds more when something glimmering caught my eye. I drew in my breath as my eyes feasted on the sight in front of me. The gown was a brilliant golden color with hints of subtle pinks, oranges and silvers. It was like looking at a sunset and all around it, millions of tiny black music notes were embodied along with treble and bass clefts. The mask was a beaming turquoise with swirls of gold and white on it. Black feathers encircled it, making it bold and beautiful. I didn't even realize Bree standing next to me. I simply turned to her and said,
"This is the one."
My foster sister smiled from ear to ear and anybody looking at her would've only seen that but I saw a hint of envy carved into her eyes. She quickly brushed it away though.
"Well then," she replied, "what are we waiting for?"

As we stood at the checkout, I was constantly pinching myself to see if I was dreaming or not. I was still in utter shock that Brianna was standing here, in a designer costume store, buying me an 800 dollar dress. I kept trying to tell her that I wanted to pitch in but she wouldn't even let me pay the tax. I wasn't quite sure how Bree had gotten all of that money to pay for our outfits but I just dismissed the thought. They were millionaires, anyways.
As we walked out, Bree shoved the big, purple bag my dress and mask were in at me. The store had sold makeup as well so my step-sister insisted that I got some red-hot cherry lipstick as well. I had never really gotten all girly in my life before and that wasn't because I didn't want to, it was just because I virtually didn't have any money. I was feeling fairly nervous about walking around in a big dress tonight because the only time I've ever worn a proper gown was during halloween when I dressed up as a fairy princess (that was when I had lived with my parents, of course).
"Well, how do you like it?" Bree questioned, a smile obviously evident in her voice.
"Bree, now I'm the one speechless. I have no idea how to thank you!" I cried.
"Well, little sis, just remember who the boss is." She grinned.
I didn't really know how to respond to that so instead I just stayed quite. As we walked the last block before the car, my mind drifted to tonight (again). I wondered if there would be any dancing and, if so, what would I say if anybody asked me. I couldn't very well tell them my name or else Bree, Darcy and Carlotta would probably boil me alive. I started feeling a little panicky. I mean, I was NOT good at lying, it was the one thing that I just could not do so if I was asked all the basic questions right on the spot, what would I say?
I must've been twiddling nervously with my charm bracelet (I wore it everywhere) because Bree suddenly asked what was wrong.
"Nothing," I replied, "well, actually, it's just, well, I'm a little nervous about tonight. I mean, what do I say when somebody asks my name or like, where I live, or something?"
Bree rolled her eyes. "Just say your cinderella." She sighed, exasperated.
I almost started laughing because everyday I felt literally like Cinderella. Maybe Bree wasn't thinking when she said it but I was pretty sure it was meant to be an insult. She must've really wanted my dress, I thought.
We finally rounded the corner and climbed into her white Porsche. I guess when you live with millionaires, there is the benefit of riding in really nice cars. We weaved our way back up through East Street and over to our house.
"Bridget, it's like 6:00 now so when we get home, obviously you need to pretend to carry on with chores until we leave, okay? I leave a note on the kitchen counter with the directions to the Fellowship hall so you can walk or just catch a cab. When you get there, proceed with caution."
I felt like I was being instructed by a general in the military. Proceed with caution? Really?
"Go around the building and sneak in the back way. Then go straight to the bathrooms and change. But listen, you have to be back home before midnight or else my mom will find out about you sneaking out."
I nodded silently as we pulled into the driveway. I myself was still a little nervous about the whole 'sneaking out' thing. I mean, its not like I couldn't do it but if I was caught, Carlotta would punish me in every possible way known to man.
I decided to go into the house through the back way; I really would prefer my step-mother to be in the dark about the whole dress shopping trip. I slid in silently through the wooden door and went straight upstairs to sweep. As I cleaned the wooden floors, I saw the dust fly up in the air and create little dust bunnies. I remembered when my mom used to sweep the kitchen and I would follow her around, trying to capture the little flints of dirt that flew up in the air and every time I did that, my mom would eventually put down the broom and help me try to get them.
It's odd how I recalled small things like that with such love. I mean, any other person would look at bigger memories and reflect on those but my mother always used to tell me that the little things in life were the most important.
I was so lost in thought that I almost missed hearing Carlotta call up to me.
"Bridget, we're leaving!" She said, tauntingly. "If you EVER get done with those chores I gave you, you are more than welcome to come." She cackled. I honestly thought that she enjoyed torturing me.
"Toodle-loo!" She cried as the front door slammed shut. The second the house was utterly silent, I ran to the window and peered out, watching them drive away. After they were no longer in sight, I dashed downstairs and grabbed my dress that we had hidden in the kitchen cabinets. It was a pretty good hiding place considering the fact that not in a million years would Carlotta or Darcy ever look down there.
Running out the back door, I locked it and then hid my own little key under the stone angel that stood in the grass so I could let myself back in after I got home. I decided to catch a cab since I knew that if I walked in this heat, my hair would frizz up like there was no tomorrow.
I practically jogged down East Street to find a good busy road to hail over a ride. I didn't want to miss one minute of my freedom at the masquerade. Waving my hands wildly above my head (I had never really tried to catch a ride in New York before) I finally got a driver to notice me.
Hopping in the back seat, I yelled Fellowship hall up to the front. The driver cringed at me voice and I toned t down a little. I was just worried that he wouldn't hear me behind the little plastic thing that divides the passengers from the drivers.
I was basically jumping up and down in my seat like a little three year old the whole time. I couldn't believe that I was actually doing this! When we  finally rounded the street an the hall came into view, we got backed up in a little traffic.
"So," the cab driver said in a husky voice, "why are you comin' to this joint?" He was DEFINITELY from New York.
"Uhh, well, I'm just a, ummm, worker. Yeah worker." I stuttered. I knew I was bad with fibbing.
I could tell he was looking at me skeptically. "Alright the, well you can hop out here, I ain't sittin' in this traffic no more. Ya fare is 3. 50." He grumbled.
I reached into my back pocket and grabbed some crumpled money. I opened the mini plastic window and dropped it in his calloused hands.
"Thanks." I muttered, climbing out of the car.
There was so much traffic in front of the hall that everything was just stopped. I managed to simply weave through the stationary cars in the road over to the entrance. How many people to Carlotta invite? I wondered to myself.
As I made my way to the front, I noticed very stereo-typical bodyguards guarding the entrance. I cautiously made my way around back, scoping out  a back entrance.
I finally spotted a door on the North side of the wall. I walked quickly over to it and jimmied the handle. To my luck, it opened without a problem, leading me straight into what seemed exactly like Hell's Kitchen. Servers, waitresses and cooks were running and shouting everywhere; this was NOTHING like Prime Time's. Everybody was red faced, sweaty and annoyed but i didn't blame them because I knew how stressful it was to feed three mouths but three hundred?
Thankfully I glided through the kitchen completely unnoticed, thanks to the busy atmosphere. Once I had made it out, I saw a bathroom straight away. For some reason, fate seemed to be on my side tonight.
I went into one of the most glorious bathrooms ever! It was identical to a five-star hotel bathroom, which I happened to love. They had changing rooms so I locked myself in one and started dressing up. It was quite a process as the dress had a corset, a hoop skirt and lots and lots of ties. It took at least twenty minutes to put it on. I instantly felt pity for those women living in the Victorian Era.
As I smoothed out the gown, I turned and almost jumped when I saw myself in the mirror. I was nearly unrecognizable, but I guess that was the point. My body looked slim but curvy at the same time and the color of my dress made my turquoise eyes pop with fierceness. Even the messy bun I had but my frizzy brown hair in looked good. Small ringlets cascaded down from it, making it look very professional even though it was totally on accident. I had put the red lipstick on and after that, which made my lips look smooth and stunning. For the first time in my life, I felt like a princess.
As I unlocked the door, I nearly forgot about my mask. I tied it one and it concealed  my identity. It was nice, for a change, to be someone else, to live another's life. I looked in the mirror one last time, made sure I had my lucky bracelet on and headed out to the ball room.
*********
The second I got out there, I wanted to turn and head straight back to the bathrooms. People everywhere were either dancing, drinking or getting some sort of interview from the press. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Bree and Darcy taking a photo together and then, to my disgust, I saw Lottie flirting with some guy. As much as I wanted to run and hide (which I had basically been doing my whole life) I decided to put on my big girl panties and go walk around pointlessly just like everybody else.
Even though I was just pacing the hall, I felt happier than I ever had. I was finally normal, I mean, after so many years of being invisible and unimportant, I was finally getting to be someone else, finally getting to be worth something. I tried to tell myself everyday that I was worth something, that somebody loved me but when you're stooped down on the floor scrubbing away, it doesn't particularly boost your self-confidence.
I swayed without rhythm to the music, just minding my own business. I felt like I was waiting for something or someone even though I had no idea what it was. I looked around once more, taking in everything. The silver and gold lighting flitting across the room, the laughing and smiling celebrities, men trying helplessly to use a cheesy pick-up line on women. For a minute I wondered if I was dead because this just seemed all to heavenly.
Suddenly feeling parched, I made my way over to the drinks table, weaving my way through the crowds of people. The minute I got closer to the drinks, the more cologne I smelled. I saw tons of guys getting drinks for their girls and I felt a quick burst of longing for someone to do that for me. Brushing the feeling away, I went up to the bartender. Behind the table was a big chalkboard displaying all the various martinis, cocktails and wines. I looked around skeptically and saw some very suspicious drinker who looked a little young to be consuming alcohol but nobody seemed bothered by it.
I was almost put out of the mood for a drink (I didn't want wine or whatever) but I scanned the menu one more time trying to find something appeasing. Then, at the very bottom, in what I swore to be way smaller text, I saw Shirley Temple written in neat cursive. My throat burned but I wouldn't let the tears come. It was always tradition for me and my brother to get a Shirley Temple at every restaurant that sold them. I don't even know how it started but it was those types of memories that clung to my heart. So in honor of him, I stepped up to the bar and asked for a Shirley Temple with two cherries, just like Cole and I always had.
The bartender chuckled and smiled to himself as he served me the fanciest Shirley I had ever seen. He had poured it in a beautiful glass that had stunning little swirls carved all over it. He must've noticed my childish fascination with it because he only laughed harder.
Nearly forgetting to pay, I reached into my gown's pocket to pull out some money when suddenly he grinned nicely at me.
"This one's on me, little lady. Can I get you anything else?"
I was so taken aback by his kindness towards me that I simply shook my head. Then, my manners rushed back to me as I thanked him profusely.
"You are plenty welcome, little lady. What's your name?" He inquired.
Of course this automatically threw me off. I was silent for a few moments, racking my brain for something, anything when I came upon one title.
"Uhh.... Cinderella." I blurted. I felt my face reddening behind my mask. This thing had started to become really useful.
Laughing heartily, the man turned back to me. "Well, Cinderella, you've made my night. See you little lady."
I stood up from the bar, glowing. I haven't been treated like that for what seemed like forever. He was such a gentlemen, laughing, brushing of my stupidness, making me feel-
"Whoa, sorry I didn't mean to bump into you." A familiar voice acknowledged.
My whole body went rigid as I stared into Jake McDormin's eccentric blue eyes. I had nearly spilled my dang Shirley Temple on him! I was so humiliated that I suddenly felt myself start to wobble. He caught me arm to steady me.
He grinned, revealing his to-die-for dimples. "Hope you haven't had too much to drink there. Though I guess I would've made the same mistake if my dad weren't here."
He thought I was drunk!? God, I was stupid.
"No-uhh, I mean yes... I mean, this is a Shirley Temple," I babbled. "I'm not drunk or irresponsible or, I mean, not that you'd be, but uggggh." I sighed. Talking to hot guys was just not one of my many talents.
To my good fortune, he smiled, amused. "Don't worry about it. To be honest I sometimes prefer a good old Shirley myself."
I sighed quietly. He was good at not making me feel embarrassed, that was for certain. We stood there kind of awkwardly, though, for a few minutes when suddenly a male voice boomed across the room.
"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen!" He cried. "Tonight, we are celebrating the success of the young but very talented Brianna Freeton!" The room bursted into applause and cheers as I saw my step-sister gush and wave happily.
"To kick off tonight, we will have a random couples dance! Snag anybody from the dance floor, folks and let's groove to the song that got Brianna where she is now! Pretty Woman!" He finished and everybody moved around the room, grabbing random people. I wished somebody might grab me when suddenly I felt a hand grabbing mine.
Jake gripped me, excitedly. "Come on, let's dance!" He yelled over the pounding music. I set my drink down on a little table right as he whipped me of into the center of the room.
The thing is, I love music and I love to sing but I am no dancer so when I stood weirdly in the mix of swaying bodies, I felt REALLY stupid. Even Jake was doing better dance moves than I was and he was a guy!
I was about to point this out when he wrapped his strong arms around me waist. Then, out of the blue, he lifted me onto his toes and held me tight. A memory of gripped my mind of my dad doing this when I was just a toddler. Jake smiled at me saying
"Looked like you were having a little trouble there, do you not dance?" He inquired.
"Uhh, no... I'm way too clumsy." I replied, nervously.
He lifted my gently back on to the floor and grabbed my wrists.
"Here, just, huh... Sway, like this, back and forth."
I tried swaying but I felt like I was doing it very robotically and that was basically the next thing he said.
"Don't worry, just let loose, you'll find it." He laughed.
His laugh was just too much. I had to at least try to dance so I moved my various body parts with as mush rhythm as I could muster when I realized I elbowed into some guy.
"I'm so sorry, sir, I..." The 'guy' turned around and 'he' actually was a 'she.' My hidden face went cherry red for the second time tonight. I was speechless.
The woman gave me a dirty look before stomping off. I turned slowly back to Jake to see him snickering. And it the mist of it all, the reality of this dream, I laughed. We both cracked up, me snorting uncontrollably. I was laughing so hard, I stumbled, tears coming form my eyes. once again, though, Jake managed to catch me. Yet his catch put us in an awkward state. I had been pulled up so close to his chest that my hand could feel his heart beating wildly. I felt suddenly shy all over again when cupped my chin and forced our eyes to meet.
"Your not like other girls I've met." He whispered quietly.
You have no idea, I thought comically to myself.
"Wait a minute..." I heard the dreaded recognition tone seep into his voice, "Your Bree's 'cousin' your the one who sang today..." He trailed off, still slightly uncertain.
I automatically backed away. "No, no, no... Uhh, that's not me. Uhhh, listen, I've got to go..." I mumbled.
"Wait," He said, reeling me in, "What's your name? I have to know. That sounded stalker-ish, I mean, sorry... It's just, I want to get to know you."
"My name is Cinderella." I might as well keep playing that card since I had no other ideas at the moment.
He twirled his fingers through my hair as I closed my eyes. I was coming to a very dangerous point but, to be honest, I was tired of people telling me what to do, I was tired of having no choice. I so did not care that Jake, Bree's old crush, was probably about to kiss me.
"So beautiful..." He murmured, almost to himself. But I heard him. He called my beautiful and that's when my heart melted.
Then we were kissing. Slowly at cautiously at first and then something more, something deeper. I felt me heart beat faster as the music slowed into some cheesy slow dance. I ran my fingers through his hair, gripping him tighter. I hadn't felt love in so long, hadn't ever really kissed anybody, either. His lips were soft and warm, seeming to fit exactly into mine. His hands explored my back, as he rubbed his fingers in small circular motions. The most wonderful thing was, though, is that he wasn't just kissing me for kicks, I could tell by his ponding heart that he seemed to have feelings for me, too.
Eventually, we pulled back from each other as he rubbed my cheek with his thumb.
He leaned into me, breathing hard. "Please, let me see your face."
I was so high and unconcerned in that moment that I let him untie my mask with his gently hands.
"It is you." he murmured.
That simple phrase made the water works start. He recognized me, he remembered me. I was such a baby, crying tears of joy over this but it was so wonderful to be known and not invisible.
Jake looked at me concerned. "Don't cry, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have kissed you like that, it's just..."
"You think I'm crying about the kiss?" I laughed. "Trust me, it's not that, you just..." I couldn't really say what I was feeling, it was way to embarrassing.
"Just what?" He asked.
"You just made me feel like I wasn't invisible anymore. Nobody's made me feel like that for a long time."
"What's you real name, then. Tell me, please. From being a housemaid, to Brianna's cousin to Cinderella, who are you?"
I grinned. "My name's Bridget." I whispered, just to him and nobody else.
He just pulled me tighter and closer as we swayed back and forth to the music. I didn't know how I had gotten this lucky tonight, it just felt like everything was too good to be true.
And boy, was I right.
Not a minute later, I felt somebody ripping at my dress harshly from behind. I screamed in surprise right when I saw Darcy's livid face. She kicked my violently to the ground like I was an animal and then she slapped me. Hard.
"You little witch! You THIEF!" She hollered.
"Why don't you tell everyone where you got the money to pay for that gown, Bridget!"
I was honestly terrified now, the words getting caught in my throat like glue. I finally managed to get something out though. "Brianna got it for me." I said.
"Brianna got it for you, did she? You little liar. You stole that money from me to buy that dress and you being here tonight just proves it!"
How did she know that she had even lost money, she hadn't even been mad at me before she had left. Then it dawned on me. Bree. She stood in the corner, jealousy and hatred filling her eyes. She must've gone into Darcy's room earlier and taken some money to pay for my dress. Then she saw me and Jake dancing and kissing.... She told Darcy that I stole from her.
"Say something then or are you stupid?" Darcy spat."Oh that's right, you are stupid. You're nothing but a dirty housemaid whose stupid family charred in a fire. You feel sorry for your little self everyday, crying you eyes out from being so lonely and unloved. You wear that meaningless bracelet as well, like it actually cost anything." Then she grabbed my wrist and yanked off the only token of my past I had left, flinging it somewhere in the crowd.
"NO!" I cried. I wanted to stay tough, to retort some nasty comments of my own but I was sobbing like there was no tomorrow.
"That's right, sweet heart. I've got news for you. Nobody likes you or loves you in anyway. Your just fungus growing off all of us. You. Are. Nothing."
Pulling me up, she ripped more of my dress as I tried to feebly fight her off.
"Stop, Darcy! You're hurting her!" Jake cried, trying to interfere.
"Stay out of this, lover-boy. I'm sure your daddy doesn't want to see you with some no good housemaid. Think of me as doing a favor for you."
Finally, I managed to yank away form her. My beautiful dress was torn, my bracelet; gone and my heart broken. So I did the only thing I knew how to do.
I ran.

People tell you to be brave and strong, to not run away from your problems. Well, to hell with them because they don't know the first thing about facing troubles.
Ever since the night my life went up in smoke, I've been running. Running from the past, from the present, maybe even from the future. I didn't want to be stationary, I didn't won't to have to dwell on anything. Sometimes it's easier to constantly start over, to have a clean slate.
When social security put me in my first foster home at age 14, I ran away. They of course eventually caught me, though and just stuck me in another one of those dreaded places. I kept on going, though, kept on leaving when finally they put me in the New York foster home. That's where I met Stella. When I had lived with my parents, (my real parents), I had gone to the local high school but I was always considered the quite, ugly and stupid one. I hadn't had a single friend in my whole life. I didn't have extended family either, both sets of my grandparents had died before I was even born and my mom and dad were only children. That was why I was so close to my brother. Of course though, it wasn't the same thing as a best friend. I didn't have somebody I could confide in, talk about guys to, or just laugh with.
So when I met Stella, I finally stayed. Maybe its because she was nice, or maybe it was because she was even weirder than I was, but now I know. I had finally found someone who wouldn't want me to run away, I had found someone who would chase after me and I guess that's why I ran. It wasn't so much to run away for the fun of it. No, I was running because I wanted somebody to come after me.
I didn't know how long I had been running for, all I knew was that my lungs were dying from lack of oxygen, my eyes stung from tears I had cried and I was soaking wet. The second I had stepped outside from the Fellowship Hall, a huge clap of thunder went off and then the clouds released their rage on me.
I finally stopped and collapsed to the ground in a heap of torn clothes and runny mascara. As I choked out ragged breaths, the words that Darcy had said replayed through my mind like a broken record. "You are just fungus growing off the rest of us. You. Are. Nothing." I broke after that.
"I AM WORTH SOMETHING, I AM WORTH SOMETHING!" I screamed, my voice lost in the thunder and lightning. I looked around to see if somebody, anybody had heard me, had acknowledged me. But there was not a soul in sight. I realized that I was in North Square Park and my eyes widened. I was at least seven miles from home and I didn't have energy to walk, no money for a cab and no access to a bus. Once again, I was alone. Completely and utterly alone, just like the night of the fire. Deep down, I hoped that Jake would come but I knew that Darcy was right. A prince like him could never love a pauper like me. Stella was far off and I didn't have my phone so there was no way she could find me, either.
I was back at square one. I was back where I would always stay. With no one and nobody.
                                                              ********************
The morning dawned like a curse. For a moment, I thought that I was back at home in Portland where my mom would come up, gently nudge my shoulder and ask if I wanted pancakes before school started. But, unfortunately, I was along way from home and I couldn't just click my magical red ruby slippers to get back.
Opening my eyes felt like it took forever as they were basically clamped shut from the runny makeup and tears but when I finally managed to open them, I saw that I was lying on a patch of grass near a bubbling fountain. There was a statue on top of it of a man with a hard expression and I felt as though he was looking right at me saying "Well aren't you a sissy?"
I started to stand up when suddenly the true remembrance of last came upon me. The force of those memories practically knocked me down again but I knew I had to get moving. I had to go back to the place I hated most. I looked down at myself, trying pointlessly to tidy up a little. I felt like a princess who's love story ended badly and boy did I look like one, too. Just before I started walking towards the exit of the park (more limping really, Darcy might be stupid but she has a strong kick) I noticed a lone figure sitting on a bench, staring directly at me. Before I met Stella I might have been creeped out but when your best friend tends to always make weird entrances, you start to get used to it.
I didn't run to her, or cry out her name because she started to jog towards me and before I knew it, she had locked me in a very forceful hug. The familiarity of her embrace made my mood instantly increase and she smelled like raspberries and ginger ale which was an odd but happy scent.
"You're so brave, Bee. You are so brave." She whispered in my ear.
I sniffled while I snorted. "Yeah right, I ran from last night like there was no tomorrow."
Stella pulled back and studied my face in a way that only made you think that she knew something you didn't. "Sometimes, Bee, the smartest people are the ones who run because they take a step back and get a real perspective on the situation."
For as long as I've known her, Stella has always said the right things to me at the right time. I remembered when she found me crying in the foster home's library and she sat next to me and murmured, "In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." After that, I went to my councilors office (they had deemed me as an emotionally unstable child and therefore I had to have 'guidance lessons') and left a note on her desk saying those exact words. I never was called back for another session again.
Stella clamped a hand on my back and rubbed little circles around my shoulder blades.
"Come on, chick-a-dee, if I'm not mistaken, you have to go and pack for Hollywood tonight. I think that we better get you to your place of living."
That's another thing that I loved about Stella. She never called the place I lived my home. She seemed to be the only person who knew the real difference between a house and a home.
As we walked back through the park (well, Stella was doing most of the walking, I was being supported by her), I felt as though I needed to tell her all about Jake and ask what I should do. But, as usual, she was one step ahead of me.
"Hey, Bee. About Jake, you better not let him go because he really loves you and if you try to be all gallant and walk away from him, your just going to be breaking two hearts instead of one."
I sighed and turned to her. "Okay, listen Stella. How do you know all this stuff, I mean, I didn't even breathe a word about Jake to you and yet you knew that that was what I was going to ask you about."
She sighed heavily but then gave a small smile. "Okay, don't freak out but I have family who were known as some of the most famous fortune tellers of all times."
She had told me this before, of course but this time I actually believed her. So I did something I never thought I would do before.
"Will you tell me fortune, Stella?" I asked awkwardly.
"Of course!" She replied, not looking the least bit surprised.
She immediately grabbed my hand and pulled me over to the nearest bench.
"No glass orb?" I joked.
She looked up at me and rolled her eyes. That's when it really hit me about how serious she was about all of this.
"Hey Stella, is this how you earn extra money? By doing readings?" I was now genuinely curious about my friends odd gift.
"Maybe." She snapped. "Be quiet or I can't get accurate results."
"Okay, okay...." I muttered, backing off.
Suddenly Stella closed her eyes and started whispering some unknown language as her fingers danced along my hand then arm and finally face. I watched in wonder as her face contorted into several different emotions and anyone could plainly see her determination.
After what seemed like hours, she opened her eyes but they looked far off and distant. Without warning, she started talking, not to me or to anybody really but what she was saying was certainly about me.
"You walk along a hidden path, taking all this unfair wrath but in two days time on that day, you will no longer go astray."
She finished, breathing heavily. Her eyes slowly started to clear and she looked at me with excitement.
"Well, what did I say?" She asked withe extreme curiosity.
"What do you mean what did you say?"
"Well, here's the glitch. Whenever I do a reading, it's somebody else's future I'm talking about, not mine, So whenever I finish, I don't remember what I said because its not my life, its yours, if that makes sense."
I just nodded blankly. Sometimes it was better not to ask Stella too much.
"Well?" She repeated, expectantly.
"Oh yeah, you said "you walk along a hidden path, taking all this unfair wrath but in two days time, on that day, you will no longer go astray."
Stella huffed, annoyed. "Well that could mean anything, for heavens sake! You sure I didn't say anything else?" She pondered hopefully.
"No...That's it."
"Well, we better go now, anyways. I don't want you to get into more trouble on my part." Stella said.
"Believe me. I've already buried myself so deep in trouble that being a little late won't even matter." I replied hopelessly.
                                                           ***********************
As we pulled into my personal jail, my stomach started doing flip flops. Everybody in that house would be yelling at me so loud that citizens in China would hear. I gave Stella a probably very frightened look and I thought about asking her to take me to her house. I had only been to her's a few times after we had both been adopted. She had gone off to live with a very kind, elderly couple and they basically let her do whatever she wanted. They probably also sensed that Stella was a free spirit and could never pin her down. I sensed that after her parents drowned from being locked inside their car that she had hated confined spaces.
Stella returned my gaze with one of sternness. "You can do this, Bee." She stated confidently, "Remember, they only have the power a human does, not a super villain." She grinned and practically pushed me out of the van, making me stumble. "Good Luck!" She yelled before she skidded off, completely care-free looking. I always envied her for that. My life seemed like a soap opera in comparison to hers.
I made my way slowly up the front door path. I would've usually used the back door but I was going to have to face my foster family sooner or later so it may as well be now. As I reached the front door, I inhaled deeply and pushed open the door.
As I stepped inside, I felt the tension that had been built up draft past me. Not two steps into the foyer, I heard the familiar threatening clack-clack of heels on the marble floor. The second I saw Aunt Lottie's face round the corner, I shrunk back into the shadows, knowing that she was about to break into rage. Her expression was calm and cool, which made me realize that she wasn't just mad, she was furious.
"Well, well, well, look who decided to show up for lunch. How precious! Brianna, how are you, my dear?" She spat viciously.
Not a moment later did Darcy and Brianna storm into the room and they both simultaneously crossed their arms across their chests. It was such perfect timing that I concluded that this was all planned.
I stared into the faces of my living nightmares. I felt extremely intimidated but something inside of me sparked. These women had personally ruined my life, these women had made me rot from the inside and out and these women made me feel worthless. Anger bubbled beneath my skin, threatening to burst at any moment.
"I am still in shock, Bridget how you would dare to steal my money like that. Do you even know what kind of reputation you gave us last night?" Darcy yelled.
"Actually, Darcy, I do," I said sweetly, "Right after you finished insulting me, you beat me down to the ground and I'm sure people didn't like to see you letting your rage go on an innocent girl, did they?" I glared at her with such force that I seriously believed that I could knock her over. By the shocked expression on her face, I could tell that she didn't expect me to say that.
Out of the blue, I felt a burning sensation sear across my face and suddenly, Lottie grabbed me by my shirt and yanked me up, right to her.
"Listen, you little brat," she hissed, "once we are done with you in Hollywood, you are going right back where you came from. Your going back to the foster home to go and live with all the rest of the little boys and girls whose parents died, you hear me? I don't ever want to lay eyes on your sorry self again!" My foster mother screamed.
The blow of her words made me stumble the second she released me. My head started spinning and getting all cloudy and I could see little spots dancing before my eyes. My body was going into panic mode. She couldn't send me back there, she couldn't send me back to a place where I was trapped, ignored and.... waiting. I was gasping for breath as I clutched my heart.
"You...you...you couldn't. Please, Aunt Lottie, please!" I cried breathlessly. I never begged her for anything because I didn't want her to see my weak side. It must of caught her attention because she turned back and laughed wickedly.
"Oh, my dear, dear girl. Believe me, I can send you back to the foster home and I will. No, stop waisting my time! Go and pack and don't you dare try to yell at me. Your voice better be in tip-top shape when we arrive in Hollywood." She cackled.
Darcy flipped her hair angrily and stomped off with Aunt Lottie but I saw Bree hesitate. Her face looked horrified like she finally understood what she had done to me. Hatred filled my heart, though and I couldn't even stand to look at her.
"Bee, I'm so sorry. Can I do anything to help?" She whispered.
"Believe me, Brianna, you've done enough." I hissed. "And just when I thought that we were becoming friends, you just prove to me that you are a spoiled scamp and are incapable of friendship."
I saw her face morph into a mask of true pain, I knew I had hurt her but I didn't feel a twinge of regret. And then I saw what I never would've expected to see. A single tear fell down her face and onto the floor, just before she pushed by me and ran out the front door. I hit the ground with such force I heard my knuckle crack but I needed the pain, the distraction.
I stood up slowly and made a wall, blocking my emotions back, just like I had done so many times before. No pain was sometimes better than feeling anything for anyone, I had always told myself. It had become sort of like a motto for me after my family died.
Immediately I felt light headed. I desperately needed some air before I had to go pack for the flight. I thought I could go and cook and Prime Time's but I remembered sadly that I didn't have a shift there, today.
I made an executive decision to simply walk where my feet would carry me, which sounded like something Stella would've said. I opened and closed the front door behind me like I had done so many times before and headed in a familiar-ish direction.
I found myself going to the little park by Prime Time's. It was hard to believe that it had only been a few days ago when I was walking past here and wishing to sunbathe. It felt like it had been a lifetime ago when I had had even that much freedom. I winded my way through the park grounds and stared at people on the vast and spacious lawn. Ever since my life changed so drastically, I've always loved looking at other people and imagining their lives then replacing myself in them. It had almost been like temporary therapy for me for a while but now it just seemed childish. I could never change my life to be like them, it was utterly and depressingly hopeless.
Once again, though, a familiar face caught my eye. Jake. He was sitting on a bench on the end of the path I was walking on, hunched over with his head buried in his hands. He looked completely defeated which was odd for someone with such a buoyant personality like his. I studied him for several minutes, my heart aching to have him whilst my mind constantly reminded me that I never could. Instantly his head snapped up, as if he heard me thought. His eyes suddenly zeroed in on me and I could see so many emotions waving through them all at once. Regret, sadness, guilt, anger and.... love, which of course seemed ridiculous and far fetched but still.... My head was screaming at me to turn around, to leave the park and go home but his gaze kept me stuck right to my spot. He started making his way towards me in a very brisk walk, almost as if he was trying not to sprint.
After what seemed like years, he reached me. He was not 12 inches away from me and I could basically hear his heart thrumming in his chest. His hand gently stroked my face where a new bruise had started forming from the hands of Darcy and Lottie.
"I'm so sorry." He murmured. "I should've done something, interfered, this is all my fault, this...this horror."
I found myself shushing him, though. "It wasn't your fault. Tons of press were there and it was all so fast and sudden..." I trailed off as the wall I had so carefully constructed started to fall apart, piece by piece.
He absentmindedly twirled his fingers through my hair. I stared up into his face, feeling humbled. He was absolutely gorgeous, of course. His wavy brown hair that fell just over his eyebrows, his dark blue eyes, his lean and muscular body.... But the thing that made him so beautiful was that he didn't even know it. I'd been living with people who were so vain that if you looked that word up in the dictionary, you'd find their faces there. My eyes traveled across his figure, wondering how someone as plain and boring as me could ever appeal to somebody like him.
Than I started thinking about how we barely even know each other. I mean, we literally met at a music studio and there he only heard me sing. We hand't had a proper conversation, I knew next to nothing about him! But maybe this was something more. I had stopped believing in it a while ago but the whole 'love at first sight' theory seemed pretty accurate at the moment.
Suddenly our eyes met and I felt as though he was staring right into my very core, my very soul. It was such an intimate look that I felt flames rush to my cheek which only made him grin. Then, we were kissing.
Jake gripped my face with such force that I thought he was going to knock me over right there and then. He kissed me fiercely, with so much passion that it seemed like he had never kissed before. Electric tingles flew up and down my body as I leaned into him and gasped. I had never felt so real, so whole in my life.
I ran my fingers through his hair like I had done the night before, loving the feeling of holding him in any way I could. His fingers traced down my back, making me shudder. A wonderful feeling of love blossomed all over me when he finally said, in between kisses, "I love you."
I hadn't heard somebody say those words to me for so long that I pulled back in shock, breathing hard. I stared at him and he stared right back at me.
"What did you say?" I asked, almost afraid that I had heard him wrong.
He leaned in close and whispered so only I could hear. "I love you, Bee, your the best thing that has ever happened to me."
I smiled as a single tear rolled down my inflamed cheeks. "You don't know how long I've been waiting for somebody to say that." I murmured. "You do realize that the second I saw you, I fell in love, right?" I asked.
He picked me up off my feet and twirled me around, laughing. He set me down gently on my feet. "Stay with me always. I'll see you soon, okay?" He pondered, eyes wild with hope.
"Believe me," I said, "you won't be getting rid of me for a long time."
                                                         *****************************
As I sat on the floor of my room, I tried helplessly not to day dream about Jake kissing me. I had laid out all of my clothing and possessions and just decided to pack them all up, since I was going to have to eventually, anyways. I started folding my clothes and neatly placed them inside my ancient duffle bag, just like my mom had taught me. I still remember her saying to make sure my clothes were utterly flat so I could fit as much stuff as possible into one bag.
As I was folding my faded blue jeans (I seriously needed a new pair) I felt something crinkle in the pocket. I immediately fished my hand into my pants to pull out a rumpled up ball of paper. I slowly unfolded it, and when I did, my breath caught in my throat. A family picture of me sat before me, my mom's and dad's arms wrapped affectionately around me, me brother laughing wildly as he held a hand on my shoulder. They were all perfectly preserved from time, their expressions forever happy. I pressed the photo close to my heart and took a deep breath. There would be no more tears, only happy memories.
I closed up my duffel and headed downstairs, only to be met by three very ticked of ladies.
"Come on now, girls, we must not be late. The chauffeur is waiting outside." Lottie huffed.
I followed my foster family out to the limo and climbed in the back, rolling my eyes. Only Lottie. I thought to myself. But as the engine revved, I felt my heart skip a beat. I was on my way to the home of the rich and famous. I was on my way to Hollywood.

"Ladies and gentlemen we are beginning our decent into Los Angeles, please fasten your seat belts." The pilot announced broadly. I had brought my knees up to my chest and stared uncomfortably out the window the whole flight. I had never been a real fan of airplanes, especially after Stella and I had watched the movie Castaway. I was sitting by some random teenager with headphones jammed into his ears but it really didn't make much of a difference considering I could still hear his heavy metal rock emitting from them. My foster family had gone to sit in first class without me, of course, but I didn't actually mind having five hours of peace and quiet. Anyways, the complimentary peanuts and flight cookies had been enough to entertain me for a while.
As we descended, my ears started popping and I pulled out my lollipop I had bought before the plane ride. When I was little, we used to fly to Florida for summer vacation but my brother and I always hated the plane because it made our ears hurt so much. One flight, though, as Cole and I were complaining about the altitude, my mom pulled out cherry lollipops for us both and when we sucked on them, our ears popped. Ever since then I had taken cherry lollipops on every single flight I had ever gone on.
I smiled fondly to myself as I sucked intently on my candy. I knew my lips would turn to a bright, ugly red, but I could't care less. After a few minutes, the plane finally touched the ground and raced down the runway. I started out the window, suddenly intrigued by my surroundings. I was in LA, for heaven's sakes! It had been my childhood dream to come here and sing and now, I had finally arrived, even if it was in slightly odd conditions.
As the seatbelt signed turned off with a little 'ding' I stood up and stretched. Sighing, I scooted past the guy with the headphones and dug out my duffel bag from the overhead storage. Unlike Darcy and Brianna, I did't even have to check any bags, I only had one carry on item. Where as my foster sister's had brought three giant Louis Vuitton bags with them, even though we were only staying in LA for two nights.
I weaved my way down the aisle to meet Aunt Lottie at the exit (first class people always got off fast and I knew they didn't want to wait for me). I thanked the captain and he gave me a smile as I hopped off onto the landing.
It was a stunning day, the sun was high in the sky but there was a nice, cool breeze to balance the heat. I breathed in the fresh air and grinned as I could've sworn it smelt like riches and fame. I made my way over to the baggage claim to see Brianna studying her nails intently and Darcy furiously punching away on her phone. Aunt Lottie stood a little ways off, fixing her hair in the reflection of the window. Classic.
I didn't even have to ask if they wanted me to get their bags for them. I wheeled over a luggage cart and started loading up. It took about twenty minutes to finally collect the total of nine bags and they were all giving me impatient glares as if it was my fault it was taking so slowly.
At long last, we strode out to the front of the airport where we were greeted with scenes of couples kissing, kids crying to see their grandparents go, dogs barking.... the works. It seemed that I was the only one taking notice of pedestrian life as I saw the girls' walking briskly over to another limo.
The only nice thing about traveling with the Freeton's is you always get to ride in really nice cars and at least we would fit in pretty naturally, I suspected that there were a lot of limos in Hollywood. As the girls climbed in, I helped the chauffeur put the bags in the trunk. Sliding in myself, I ran my hand across the dark, leather seats and helped myself to a coke from the mini cooler.
"Don't you know how many calories are in a coke?" Darcy asked pointedly.
"As a matter of fact, I do, Darcy," I replied sweetly. I turned the can in my hands and looked at the nutritional value. "It has 140 calories in it and guess what, I don't care." I retorted, taking a long, exaggerated sip. I was done with being criticized about my eating habits from her.
Darcy just glared at me and started texting on her phone. Brianna was huddled in the corner, staring blankly out the window. I suddenly felt a pang of guilt. I had made her look like that, I had made her hurt.
Stop that, Bee. She made your life miserable, toughen up a little. I reprimanded myself. Forcing myself to no longer dwell on these thoughts, I turned to look outside the tinted windows. Stretches of palm trees and puffy white clouds were endless and I got the strangest feeling that I was home. Not in the way I felt in Portland but in the way of personality. It was like I belonged here, even though, after this performance, I would be tossed right back into a foster home.
                                                                               **********
"Are we there, yet?" I moaned as I fidgeted in my seat. I had never been a fan of extended car journeys and when I was little, if the ride went over three hours, I would've always thrown up.
Aunt Lottie scowled at me. "Yes, we are ten minutes aways and you better not complain any more, today Bridget. You and Brianna are in for a long day of rehearsals and I don't want you giving her any grief."
Brianna's head snapped up. "Relax, mom. Stop trying to bite Bee's head off, she is the one singing, anyways...." Bree trailed off, sounding wistful.
"Madame, we have just arrived." A voice called from up front.
I sighed outwardly. "Finally." I muttered, practically leaping out of the car. I took a nice, long stretched and blinked a few times to get used to the blaring sun. I studied the large building in front of me. It was fairly plain and it looked like it was nothing special however it was heavily guarded with security. Three large letters were mounted on the structure spelling TTS but really that was the only indication that we were in the right location.
Aunt Lottie's heals clacked in front of me as we followed her into the reception, which had a completely opposite look to the outside. It was sleek yet a vibrant and loud room with colorful music notes hung everywhere. A lady with ebony hair sat behind the smooth wooden desk tapping away on her laptop.
"Hello, I am Carlotta Freeton, mother of Brianna Freeton. We are here for rehearsals and training." Lottie said smoothly.
The lady smiled and her eyes filled with recognition. "I saw your daughter singing on youtube, she really has great potential." She beamed.
"Yes, yes. Now, I haven't got time to chat, do I have to fill out some sort of form?" My foster mother asked impatiently.
The smile immediately left the receptionists face. She scrambled to her drawers and pulled out some documents. "So sorry, madame. Unfortunately, your daughter is the only one aloud back stage, so I'm going to have to ask you and your other children to stay out here."
"Brianna's personal assistant will be accompanying her, though." Lottie stated, not making room for an argument.
Brianna had already started making her way out of the room when she beckoned for me. I followed her along, not even looking back at the concerned receptionist.
As we walked further down the hallway, the smell of perfume and make up only increased. We finally emerged into a room full of utter chaos, and by chaos, I mean it looked like hurricane Katrina had blown through accompanied by the twister in Wizard of Oz.
"We're not in Kansas, anymore, Toto." I muttered to myself.
Multicolored boas were being tossed in the air like birds and the sound of girls and guys practicing their singing filled the room to the brim. Costumes were being flung left to right as make up artists scrambled frantically to find that perfect shade of red. I loved it.
Bree yanked my arm, pulling my harshly out of my thoughts.
"Come on, let's go practice signing for a couple of hours then you can help me choose my outfit." She smiled gleefully. I wanted to slap that smile right off her face, she was the one who got me wound up in this mess of me going back to the foster home but I just didn't have the heart to spoil her happiness.
We clambered over to a fairly concealed corner, away from most of the crowd. We were only near some guy trying pitilessly to chat up a girl. Bree tapped her foot impatiently.
"Come on," she complained, "the show starts at seven tonight and we've barely even practiced!" she moaned.
"Okay, fine. What do you want to start off with?"
"I'll lead some tongue twister practice. Repeat after me; Unique, New York. Say it ten times fast and we won't move on until you've got it perfect."
About twenty minutes later, Brianna was sweating with stress. I had failed tremendously at all the tongue twisters she gave me but thankfully she didn't yell at me too badly. We went through pitch exercises, breathing practice, tempo drills, the works. I wanted to drop to the floor and pass out and we hadn't even practiced the song yet.
"Alright, now let's practice singing." My foster sister said breathlessly.
We had chosen the to do the song 'Somebody to love' by Anne Hathaway from Ella Enchanted. I remember when Stella and I had watched that movie and at the end she quietly said that I could've been the main character. Initially she thought that she had hurt me but not a moment later was I on the floor cracking up. It was always funny to me, comparing my life to a fairy tales but sometimes I secretly thought that maybe my life was one, just with a bad ending, that is.
Brianna chose the song because apparently she loved the beat to it but she had chosen it right after the night she had seen me with Jake and I suspected that that had something to do with it.
I took a deep breath and opened my mouth to start singing. The familiar tingles of excitement, anticipation and bliss ran up my spine like they always did before I started singing.
"Can anybody find me somebody to love?"
I powered my way through the song, belting out my very spirits. The thing I loved music was it gave people a sense of hope, it made people smile and dance. It made me feel like me. By the time I was finished, the guy that was previously flirting with the uninterested girl was starring at me wide eyes before he hurried off. I turned to Brianna and saw her look smug.
"We've got this in the bag, Bee." She remarked confidently.
Suddenly I felt an overwhelming sense of exhaustion.
"Listen, Bree, I'd love to help you find your outfit, but can I have a break, I'm winded." I huffed.
She didn't even hesitate before saying "Oh my goodness, of course! Take a break, Bridget."
I smiled gratefully and pushed the back door open that lead into a small green area that resembled a tiny garden. I sank to my knees a buried my face in my hands. Anxiety had started gnawing its way into my stomach about tonight and I felt a little sick. What if I sneezed, or something? I thought horrifically to myself. I shook off the thought, trying not to dwell on it. I lifted my face from my hands and inhaled deeply when I saw someone approaching me. He was a tall, broad shouldered man with curly brown hair. I looked behind me, trying to see if their was anybody else that he would be meeting.
It must just be a security guard, or something... I considered. But something about him felt... different. It was almost like I had seen him before, he seemed to carry an air of familiarity with him. Abruptly, he started jogging towards me. I reached out for the door behind, feeling uncomfortable. Just as I was about to step inside, he shouted something.
"Bee, wait!" My heart started thrumming and I froze. It couldn't be, it was impossible. But the well-known green eyes, brown messy hair and muscular build suggested differently. I felt my legs wobble unsteadily beneath me and my head start to spin as I felt my eyes fill up with tears. My brother Cole was standing before me.
                                                                             *********
He started at me and I him. We were unmoving statues, filled with disbelief. Out of the blue, he blinked and I felt myself start to hyperventilate.
"Get.... get... get away from me, who are you, who did this?" I heaved, tears streaming down my face.
"Bee-" He started, reaching a hand out towards me.
"I said get away!" I screamed. This couldn't be true, Darcy or Carlotta or somebody was playing some sort of sick joke on me. My brother was dead, my Cole stopped breathing over three years ago.
I started backing up, getting ready to sprint, I felt myself going light headed and spots once again started to dance before my eyes.
"Bee," he murmured tentatively, "It's me, Cole."
"No, no, Cole's dead. You can't be Cole." I stated simply. As long as I believed he was dead, he was dead.
His face morphed into one full of concern and longing when out of the blue, he started humming a little tune. My mother's lullaby.

"Golden slumbers kiss your eyes,
Smiles await you when you rise.
Sleep,
Pretty baby,
Do not cry,
And I will sing a lullaby.
Cares you know not,
Therefore sleep,
While over you a watch I'll keep.
Sleep,
Pretty darling,
Do not cry,
And I will sing a lullaby."
When he finished, I was heaving sobs. I ran and crashed into him, hugging him and gripping him with such force that I felt him stumble. I breathed in his accustomed scent of lemons and soap, feeling his strong hands on my back. He was crying softly, too, and all my life I had never seen my brother cry like that for he had always been the strong one, the protective one. We stood hugging each other for what seemed like hours and when we both finally calmed down, we pulled back slowly and sat on the ground, not trusting ourselves on our feet.
I got a good look at him. He was eighteen, now yet he looked to be about thirty. Initially I saw him as I always had done, strong, put together and happy but now as I looked at his tired face, he was far from that. His eyes were encircled by dark shadows from lack of sleep, his mouth pulled into a tight grimace. He had grown his hair out and it had seemed to have turned darker. Little stubbles of facial hair grew on his chin and he looked too thin.
Despite his look of utter defeat, blinding white anger suddenly course through my veins and I almost felt the need to slap him. Almost.
"Where have you been all these years, why didn't you come to me after the fire, why did you abandon me?" I shouted.
But Cole didn't even flinch, he just sighed deeply.
"Don't you even start looking at me like I'm a child, you don't know what I've been through, you disappeared, I thought you were dead, Cole! So don't give me all that bull about having to start a new life or something because I don't want to hear it."
With my little rant done, I leaned back against the cool brick wall and closed my eyes.
"Didn't you love me at all?" I asked, barely whispering.
"Bee, I'm so, so sorry and I regret ever leaving you now but you have to know that at the time I thought it was for the best."
My eyes snapped back open. "You've got some explaining to do, buster, because I don't see any logic in that explanation." I growled.
He ran a hand through his hair. "When the fire started, I knew mom and dad would be dead. It literally started in their bathroom and I knew that they would've wanted us to get out. I made sure I saw you escape before I did because if you had died, there would've been no point in me living."
I started at him. "What did you just say?"
"Don't interrupt me, listen, I regret what I did, just hear me out."
I leaned back against the wall, staring at him intently.
"When I managed to get out of the house, I hid from the committee that had gathered out front. I knew that there were no foster homes in Portland and we would both most likely be separated from each other. They prefer having boys and girls separate when it comes to foster homes. So, I ran, thinking it would be too much for you to handle, and for me, too, us both being separated. I got a job in New Jersey and made a new identity for myself, earning money everyday, fantasizing about when I could come get you and we could live together. Then I saw you in the Newspaper. It said that you had gotten beaten up by someone called Darky, or something."
I smirked. "It's Darcy but Darky suite her better."
"Well anyways, I got some more information on where you would be going and I eventually found out that you would be coming here, to Hollywood. And this is why I'm here. I'm a legal adult and I want my sister back more than anything."
I gazed at him, still feeling slightly hurt that he ran off without me, even though I knew he was just trying to protect me. So instead of lecturing him, I crawled into his arms.
"You don't know how much I've missed having family." I sighed. Then suddenly I remembered Stella's prophecy and I knew that she was right. I had finally found Cole, finally gotten my family back.

As much as I wanted to run away from the horrible nightmare that I call my foster family, I felt like I owed something to Brianna and I needed to finish up this one show for her. I guess I would've been pretty mad if I saw one of my friends kissing a guy I had been crushing on for years, too. So maybe she was a little drastic but I was inclined to forgive her, anyways.
I wiggled my way around to face Cole. We had been sitting side by side for over an hour now, just basking in each others presence, still a little shocked that we were together again.
"Cole, I need to go and finish this performance, for them." I stated.
He raised his eyebrows, surprised. "I thought you hated them, why would you let Brianna steal your voice and give herself credit for it?" Cole questioned sternly.
He had a good point, he knew that I detested Aunt Lottie and Darcy with all of my heart but, despite everything, she had housed me, no matter how torturous it was. Anyways, my love for singing over came all and this might be my last sort-of performance.
"I owe them this much." I replied simply. "Listen, after the show, we'll have to drive back to the hotel and I'll grab my stuff. I'll meet you out here, okay? You promise you'll be here, right?" I asked, worriedly.
He pulled me into a tight hug. "I'm never letting you out of my sight again, little sis." He murmured before letting me go. I gave him a little salute as he told me to 'break a leg, but not literally.'
As I made my way back inside, I felt a new surge of energy fill me up. Reuniting with my brother had given me strength and I was ready for anything, which was good as I saw a very red faced Bree running towards me.
"Where have you been?" She demanded. "I've been looking all over for you, the show begins in twenty minutes!" She cried.
"Brianna, look at me. Go get your costume on and we'll go set up backstage, okay." I replied evenly. My calm tone seemed to make her relax ever so slightly.
"Fine. Stay right here, I mean it. I'll be right back." She called over her shoulder as she slipped into one of the changing rooms.
I looked down at myself. I was wearing plane black, like all the backstage crew were. I certainly wasn't anything special to look at today but for the first time, I didn't care. Jake loved me, I had found my brother and I was about to perform. I honestly couldn't be happier.
As Bree emerged, her forget-me-not blue princess dress swirled around her. She had pinned her hair up into a neat braid-bun and wore silver high heels. My foster sister literally looked as though she had stepped right out of a story book, which is I guess what we wanted, considering the song choice. Thankfully the makeup artist had known what she was doing at had applied almost no cosmetics on her face, which made her look really pretty. Bree spun around for me once before grabbing my hand and pulling me up to the prep area.
She turned square on to me as I heard the host greeting the audience and announcing the first act.
Looking me in the eye, she started to instruct me. "Listen, when they call my name, you will get caught in the chaos of the backstage crew and go up the little stair way. You then turn right and will see a small closet on your left. Everything is hooked up and ready to go so just perform it exactly like we did at the school talent show, okay?" She gave me a little smile and then embraced me in a very un-Bree like manner.
"I know you won't ever forgive me for what I did to you and I don't blame you." She whispered. "But I just want you to know that I am so sorry and I will be forever grateful for you doing this for me."
I couldn't think of anything deep and meaningful to say back so I simply went with a little thank you and gave her one last squeeze before we both sat down anxiously and waited for her name to be called.
                                                                                 *********
"What an incredible performance by Adrianna Manning! Make sure to vote for your favorite, folks! Next up we have princess Brianna Freeton performing 'Somebody to love.'
Bree and I jumped up at the exact same moment and I swear I could hear her heart beating from where I stood.
"Ready?" She asked.
"Ready." I replied with as much confidence as I could muster.
A lady dressed in all black came over to the prep area asking for Bree. We headed our separate ways, me to the closet and Brianna to the stage. Butterflies weren't fluttering in my stomach, it felt like dragons were having some kind of war in there. I inhaled and exhaled deeply as I snuck into the closet inconspicuously, not a single soul noticed me.
As I hooked myself up to the microphone, I thought of all the people I loved. Bree, my parents, Cole, Jake, Stella.... and suddenly I didn't feel so lonely anymore. A feeling of love and purpose coursed through my veins and I swear I could feel my charm bracelet throbbing on my wrist. This was the moment I had been waiting for all my life, this was my time to shine, even if I wasn't going to be seen.
A soft melody started playing and I knew that the song was starting. I inhaled once more and closed my eyes.
"Can anybody find me somebody to love?
Each morning I get I die a little, can barely stand on my feet,
take a look in the mirror and cry, lord what you doing to me?
I spent all my years believing you
but I just can't get no relief
Somebody, ooooh somebody
Can anybody find me somebody to-"
I felt my heart throbbing to keep singing, to go on. My soul was begging to continue spurting out music but my nose told me an entirely different story.
My worst nightmare was coming true as I felt my allergy to dust start to kick up. A feeling of a sneeze coming over came me.
"I work hard every day of my life
I work till I ache in my bones-"
I tried my hardest to keep going, keep singing but the stupid sneeze was taking over. I knew the second it happened, it would all be over. Brianna would be disqualified for cheating and I- I would probably be fined in some way for helping her.
As much as I willed against it, nature took over and I could do nothing to stop it. The sneeze and coughs came. They came and wouldn't stop coming. The music track played on as nobody was there to fill it with words. Even from the storage closet, I could here the gasps coming from the crowd.
I felt as though I was going to pass out when immediately, someone burst into the room. Cole just started at me, a grin tugging on the corners of his mouth.
"Come on, little sis. I think we have some explaining to do for national television." And before I could protest, he was pulling me out to the stage where hundreds of press members awaited.
As I walked on stage, I still couldn't really believe what was going on. It was only when I stood staring out into a sea of people and angry looking judges that it hit me. Bree stood off in the corner, looking humiliated beyond belief and the audience as well as the press members looked thoroughly shocked.
Cole stepped up almost proudly to the microphone, not showing the least bit of concern. "Ladies and Gentlemen, I am proud to introduce to you my sister Bridget, the real one behind the show."
Once there was a verbal conformation, all chaos broke out. Millions of cameras started snapping and people started shouting about cheating and refunds. The calamity went on for what seemed like hours when finally one of the judges started speaking.
"Is what he says true, Bridget?" The judge asked intently. The audience went deathly silent, awaiting an answer.
I could've said no, I could've said he was lying and everybody might assume that Brianna just messed up somehow. I could've said a lot of things in that moment, but there was only one right answer, and I knew it like I knew the back of my hand.
"Yes. I am the singer." I stated humbly and quietly. I was expecting an outburst but the crowd stayed quiet.
Another judge with strikingly red hair turned to Brianna. "Miss. Freeton, you know that you will be disqualified for this act of cheating and there will also be a large fine issued to you." She hissed, annoyed. But as she turned to me, her face seemed to soften ever so slightly.
"As for you, Miss. Bridget, I have a deal for you." A hint of slyness creeped into her voice. "If you manage to impress the audience by finishing up your performance, we will let you go without any fines or sanctions."
"We will?" Another judge asked her.
"Yes, but she has got to really show it."
Clearing my throat, I told them to cue the track. Everything was silent except for my loud and nervous breathing patterns. Yet somehow, I knew this was how my story was supposed to end with the Freetons and I also know that this was the start of my new life, a life I had been dreaming about since I was a little girl.
A soft light twinkled down on me as I stepped up to the microphone. I felt a smile come to my lips as I started singing as saw the astounded faces of the crowd. I poured everything I had into the song, feeling the love, hate and happiness I had felt over the past few years. Memories of my family filled my head and new dreams of what was to come emerged. I spread my arms as if I were flying and I could hear the audience screaming my name. My heart lifted as I got to the highest note in the song and I belted it out as if there was no tomorrow.
As they clapped, whistled and yelled for more, tears streamed down my face. The scene looked exactly like my dream but now I knew that this was reality and it was going to have a happy ending. I ended my song, feeling peaceful and truly happy, which was practically alien to me after these past few years. I looked at the judges and my newly found fans. They all stood up and clapped for me, raising there number ten signs.
I found myself laughing and crying all at the same time. I had done it, after all of this time, I had finally made my dreams a reality.

As I stood outside the house that I had lived in for the past few years, a felt a new feeling of closure mixed with one of a new beginning. I had this new sense of freedom, this new blissful happiness that had covered me ever since they declared me winner of TTS. Taking home a million dollars and a medal gave me an overwhelming sense of accomplishment but the real thing I had won was family, joy and a blank page to start on.
Cole and I would be flying out of New York today to go back to Portland. We would probably buy the land our old house was on a build a place to live even though I would be frequently flying back to New York to work with Stan McDormin as he had offered me a record deal and a clear road to fame. I had finally started believing in my future as it had taken a little while for it to sink in but I knew that I had a very firm grasp on it. Stella would be coming to live with Cole and I and oddly enough, her foster family were just fine with it. They had told her that they could never pin her down and she had to 'go do what she was meant to do.' I was very grateful to them, it just would've been too hard to live without someone who I had grown to love like a sister
As for me and Jake, he had officially pronounced us boyfriend and girlfriend when we held a press conference for me. The second our plane had landed back from LA, he had raced to me and spun me around, kissing me like there was no tomorrow. Cole had given him this long speech about if he hurt me, he would change Jake into Jacqueline. I didn't even bother to try and tell Cole to lay off, he had always been way over protective of me, anyways.
After we had gotten back, Aunt Lottie had been sent a huge fine from TTS and her name had been fully disgraced. As for Brianna, she didn't care a bit about me 'stealing the show' from her and she had hoped that we could stay friends. I had been so touched by her saying this that I had given her my old Prime Time's tee-shirt, telling her to go pursue dreams of her own.
Darcy was still as cruel as ever but that chapter of my life was officially over. I had thanked the Prime Time crew profusely as my boss started crying and told me I was the best waitress on wheels ever.
I had come to realize that I had had way more friends than I ever thought I did, which made me feel a little sweet and sour about leaving yet I knew that it was time to move on so as I turned to walk to my taxi to the airport, I didn't look back as embarked on my new journey.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.