Th New Kid | Teen Ink

Th New Kid

Author's note:

I just hope that people really enjoy it as much as I did writing it.

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

It was just another normal day for Jasmine Shepherd, She was in 11th grade and went to Bay View High School. That morning at school she was talking to some of her friends and the bell rang she got her books out of her locker turned around and noticed that there was a new kid in school, But it was time for class so she didn’t have time to say hello and she went off to class. When she got to class she sat down in her normal seat and she noticed the new kid was coming into her class, so she waved to him and said smiling “Hey new kid come here and sit by me I promise I won’t bite.” The new kid decided to take her up on her offer and go sit by her. As he sat down she said “Hi my name is Jasmine shepherd what’s your name?” “My name is Jake Jake Morgan” Jasmine said “Nice to meet you Jake Welcome to bay view high school.” “Thank you Jasmine it’s nice to meet you too” He said with a smile on his face. “You don’t have to call me jasmine you can call me Jazz if you’d like that’s what all my friends call me but you can call me whatever you’d like.” He said “Why do they call you jazz? I think you name is beautiful just the way it is.” “Why thank you hey has anybody shown you around yet if not I would be happy to show you if you’d like.” “No nobody’s shown me around yet in fact I had a hard time finding this class I must have gotten lost at least a hundred times.” She laughed “how about I show you around I have another class next but we can go to her and your new teacher and we can ask them if it’s okay if we skip our classes so that I can show you around here. Is that okay with you?” Jake said “Yeah that sounds great” “Good” she said with a smile and class began. After class was over Jasmine and Jake went to their teachers and both of their teachers agreed but told them if they finished before class end they had to return to class and off they went.
After Jasmine finished giving Jake the tour of the school they found a place that they could stop and talk and try to get to know each other a little bit. “So Jake how long have you lived here in California” “I actually just moved here a couple of weeks ago from West Virginia and with all the unpacking I hadn’t been able to sign myself up for school until yesterday.” “Oh okay did you move with your parent’s?” “Yeah we moved here a couple of weeks ago but with all the unpacking they couldn’t sign me up until yesterday, and then I started today” he said with a smile. “So Jasmine how long have you lived here?” “I’ve lived here all my life” “Really?” “Yeah I love it here it’s so nice and if you want to go to the movies or something it’s not that far away which is nice because I go to the movies all the time” “Really” said Jake “Me too I love movies, What your favorite movie jasmine?” “I have so many favorite’s I can’t choose but I do know the favorite types of movies that I like to watch the abductor movies they are just so interesting.” “No way me too, I guess that just proves that we have a lot in common” he said with a smile. “That’s awesome all my friends hate that kind of stuff and will never watch it with me. I know we only just met but you seem really nice and I would like to get to know you better what do you say that today after school we go and get some pizza or something and get to know each other better because we aren’t going to be able to do it here.” “Yeah I would love that” “Okay it’s settled then wait for me outside the school I have a really quick something I have to do after school but it should only talk a few minutes okay?” “Okay” “Well we should get back to our classes I’ll see you later.” She said as she was walking away with a big smile on her face and they both went back to their classes.
After school Jake was outside the school waiting for Jasmine for forty-five minutes he thought he was being stood up so he got up and began to walk away, he was almost to his car when he hear Jasmine say “Hey Jake where are you going” When she reached him she said “I’m so sorry that took a lot longer than I thought it was going to.” “To be honest I thought you stood me up so I was going to go home.” “Oh no no no I wouldn’t do that when I said I wanted to get to know you better I meant it and I’m sorry you thought that again the thing that I had to do after school took a lot longer than anticipated” “Good because I was really looking forward to this” he said with a shy smile, Which made Jasmine smile too. “Okay then who’s car are we taking?” “We can take mine and I can bring you back here to your car when we are finished.” “Okay sounds good to me” “Just first I need to clean my car out first I’ll be really quick I promise” “Okay” she said laughing. Just like Jake said he cleaned his car out with lighting speed and then he tried to make sure Jasmine didn’t notice but sprayed some of his cologne on himself and his car but she thought that he probably sprayed to much because she heard him cough and he rolled down the windows to try and get some of it out of the car and then came over to her and grabbed her by the hand and opened the car door for her to get in and then he ran around to the other side. While he was doing that she could definitely could strongly smell the cologne but thought that it was sweet of him to try to impress her so much so she didn’t say anything about it and they started to drive off to the best pizza place in town. They were there for hours and by the time they realized what time it was the pizza shop was closing and they had to be asked to leave.
They got back to the school and he walked her to her car and before she got in her car she turned around and said “I had a lot of fun tonight” “I did too we should do this again sometime maybe next time we can go to the movies” “Is that a statement or a question?” said jasmine, “A question, Would you like to go out to the movies with me sometime?” he said with a smile “Maybe I’ll get back to you on that” his smile started to disappear and she saw that then she said “But that’s not a no I’ll let you know on Monday is that okay with you?” “Yeah” she noticed that his smile came back which made her smile too. “Well Jake I have to get home so I’ll see you back at school on Monday” “With an answer to my question right?” “Right” she said as she started getting into her car “Goodnight Jake” “Goodnight Jasmine” and he shut her door and watched her pull away. She said that she would give him an answer on Monday and it was Friday night he didn’t know if he was going to be able to wait all weekend for an answer but he knew that he was going to have to and if she said yes it would be all worth it to him. When Jasmine got home it was eleven o’clock at night and her parents were up waiting for her because she was past her normal curfew which was ten o’clock unless they gave her permission to be out later, Both of her parents were starting at her as if they were saying with their eye’s “Young lady where have you been we have been waiting for you” like all parents do and Jasmine said “I’m sorry I was at the pizza shop with a new friend that I met at school and we got to talking and weren’t paying attention to what time it was I’m sorry” “ Her mother said “It’s okay honey we were just worried about you that’s all” “I’m sorry next time that happens I’ll call you okay?” “Okay” said her mother. After that they gave her a hug and a kiss and started to go up the stairs but her father stopped before he got all the way up and said “Are you coming honey?” “Yeah daddy I’ll be right there I’m just going to get a drink first and then I’ll be right up I promise” “Okay honey I love you” “I love you too daddy goodnight” “Goodnight” and her continued up the stairs. Jasmine got her drink and went upstairs to get ready for bed, she got in bed and reached for the remote to her T.V. but before she turned it on she thought at how much fun she had tonight with Jake and then she started to think about the question he asked her before she left and at that point she made her decision she was going to say yes.

Finally for Jake it was Monday once again and finally after waiting all weekend he would find out if jasmine was going to say yes and go out to the movies with him, finally he found Jasmine and he said “Hey Jasmine” “Hey Jake how was your weekend?” “My weekend was good” “Good so I thought about what you asked me on Friday and…..” she said with a smile on her face “Yes I would love to go out with you” Jake was so happy she said yes he couldn’t help but jump up and down and be goofy but also just to make her laugh because he loved to hear her laugh. “So how about Saturday night I’ll pick you up at six well go to dinner and a movie I know it’s a little cheese but…” “No it’s okay I love cheese” “So does that sound good to you Saturday at six?” “It sounds great” she said with a laugh “I can’t wait” she said “Me either.”
After school was over Jasmine rushed home to her mother she ran into the house and into the kitchen were her mother always was when she came home from school and when jasmine entered the kitchen her mother said “Jasmine what is that matter why are you in such a rush?” trying to catch her breath jasmine said “Sorry mom I have something to ask you can I have a later curfew on Saturday?” “Why” her mother asked “Remember that boy that I told you about that I was at the pizza shop with were going on a date Saturday night and I was wondering if I could have a later curfew.” Her mother contemplated for a minute and said “I guess so but you have to be home by one okay?” “Okay thanks mom” and jasmine ran upstairs.
After what seemed like forever it was finally Saturday night and Jake would be arriving any minute and she wasn’t ready yet she wanted to look perfect for their first date and then the doorbell rang and her mother said “I’ll get it” and she opened the door and then the next thing she hears is her mother saying “Jasmine Honey Jake is here” “I’ll be right there mom” at that point she knew she had to hurry up because jasmine knew that her parents would be questioning poor Jake so she tried to go as quickly as she could but still make herself look nice for Jake and then she headed downstairs. As Jasmine was walking down the stairs Jake couldn’t help but be mesmerized at how beautiful she looked, “Jasmine you look gorgeous” He said with a smile “Thank you Jake you look very handsome yourself are you ready to go?” “Yes if you are” Jasmine said goodbye to her mom and dad and they both left and headed to the car.

After they got to the restaurant and ordered there food there was a few minutes of awkward until jasmine said “I home my parent’s didn’t question you too badly they have a tendency to do that” “No they were fine it wasn’t too bad” “So they haven’t scared you off yet” she said laughing “No nothing could scare me away from you” Jasmine smiled. “And your car won’t ever scare me off either no matter how dirty it is or how bad it smells” she said laughing which made Jake blush “But I love that you did that for me you didn’t have to” Jake smiled and said “But I wanted to” “Thank you Jake that is really sweet of you to do”, a few minutes later the food was there and they were eating, a little while later they were finished and where ready to leave but it wasn’t time for the movie to start yet so Jake had another idea “You like the arcade right jasmine?” “Are you kidding I love the arcade” “Do you want to go? There’s still time before the movie starts” “Yeah” and they headed off to the arcade. When they got there they both played all kind of games to see who got the most tickets when they were done they combined they to see how many they got, Jake told jasmine to stay there while he went up to get there prize and so she did and when he came back he came back with a teddy bear and said “This is for you jasmine” “But we didn’t have enough tickets for this how did you get it?” “I paid for the rest of it with cash” “Oh Jake you didn’t have to” “But I wanted to” He said looking into her beautiful blue eyes, “ Thank you Jake” she said looking into his eyes, they looked into each other’s eyes for a few second and Jake kissed her and then said “I’m sorry I….” “No Jake its’ okay you don’t have to be sorry” she said as she smiled, then she “Jake if we still want to go see our movie we need to get going” as soon as she said that he looked at what time it was too and they both headed to the car.
They got there just a couple of minutes before the movie was about to start. Throughout the whole movie they held hands and leaned on each other as if they had been dating for months. When the movie was over they got in the car once again and Jake drove Jasmine home. Once they got to Jasmines house Jake walked her up to the door and jasmine said “I had so much fun with you tonight Jake and….” She pause like she was thinking of the words to say next thing Jake knows Jasmine kisses him. “I know that we’ve only know each other only two weeks and only gone on one date I really like you Jake and I hope you feel the same about me too” she waited a few seconds for him to answer but he didn’t “But I understand if you don’t” and she started to go inside but Jake said “Jasmine that’s the exact way that I feel about you too but there’s one thing that’s different about the two of us I don’t like you I love you” and he kissed her back. Happily Jasmine said “I hope so” she laughed, they both said there goodnight and jasmine went inside.

For the next year and a half Jake and Jasmine we so much in love they were always together and were even voted the cutest couple on the year book. In the middle of their senior year jasmine was getting ready for school like she does every morning and when she arrived at school and went to her locker she didn’t see Jake which was unusual because he was always right there when she got to school and she thought that it was odd but she just thought that he wasn’t feeling good and didn’t come to school today so she went on with her normal school day. But during three period she got called down to the office, when she got there they told her she had a phone call and the person on the other end of the phone said “Hello is this the girlfriend of Jake Morgan?” “Yes it is who is calling?” “This is Bay view hospital Mama your boyfriend Jake has been in a car accident he is in critical condition you need to come here as soon as possible” “Oh my goodness” she said fighting back tears “Is he awake?” “Yes mama he asked us to call you” “Thank you can you tell him that I’m on my way and that I will be there shortly” “Yes mama” “Thank you” and she hangs up the phone. As soon as Jasmine hung up with the hospital she immediately called her mom so that she could dismiss her so she could go to the hospital and be with Jake. When her mother picked up the phone she could tell that there was something wrong and she said “Honey what’s the matter?” fighting back tears Jasmine said “Jake got into a car accident and is in critical condition I need to get there now, I need you to dismiss me so that I can go to the hospital.” “Oh no is he going to be okay?” “MOM I’m sorry but I can’t explain right now I need you to dismiss me please?” Jasmines mom told her to hand the phone to the person in the office and dismissed her. The person in the office handed the phone back to Jasmine and she said “Mom?” “Call me as soon as you know anything okay honey do you want me to meet you there?” “No not yet but I’ll call you when I know anything.” And hung up the phone.
Jasmine tried to get to the hospital as fast as she could but she knew that Jake wouldn’t want her to get into an accident herself just to get to him, so she was going as fast as she could while still being safe. When she got to the hospital she rushed to the front desk to find out where Jake was, “I’m Jasmine shepherd my boyfriend Jake Morgan was in a car accident where is he?” the nurse at the front desk said “sixth floor room six fifteen” “Thank you” she rush to the elevator go to the sixth floor and rushed down to his room. When she got to his room she almost dropped to her knees she was so relieved to see that he was awake and taking and rushed over to give him a big hug and when she did he said “Ouch” “Oh I’m sorry are you okay did I hurt you?” “Yes but its’ okay” she continued to hug him and said “I thought….” She said fighting back tears and he said “I know I’m sorry they scared you that way but I’m okay” After that all they did that night was just hold each other tightly. “It’s getting late jasmine you need to go home” said Jake “No I not going home besides I already called my parents and they said that I could sleep here I’m not going anywhere.” “Okay then you need to get your sleep at least” “Okay you do to though more than I need” “Your right” “I love you Jake so very much” “I love you too Jasmine even more than you know” Just as soon as Jasmine got comfortable she fell asleep holding Jakes hand. Later that night Jasmine got woken up by a noise and looked at Jake and said “Jake what is that noise” she looked at him and he didn’t answer her and then she started to scream “JAKE…..JAKE….JAKE WAKE UP” when she realized that he wasn’t going to wake up she screamed “HELP ME PLEASE HELP”. One nurse came in with a crash cart along with three more nurses and one of them came and took her out of the room but as Jasmine was leaving the room she said “Please save him please God”, After twenty minutes one of the nurses came out and said “I’m sorry mama…..but” Jasmine didn’t need to hear any more so knew what she was trying to say to her Jake was gone and he wasn’t coming back and she dropped to her knee and cried so hard the nurse held her to let her know that she was so sorry and that she wasn’t alone. Later on that night the nurse called her parents to come and get her to bright her home, the whole ride home jasmine didn’t say a word all she did was cry.
Two weeks later it jasmine was laying in her bed holding so tightly the teddy bear that Jake had gotten her on their first date, she had been in the same spot ever since her parents came to get her from the hospital the night that Jake died. Her mother tried so hard every day to get Jasmine to eat something anything sometimes she got her to eat but it was never every much. Today was the day of jakes funeral and she was still in the same spot that she had been the last time she went to check on her, Jasmines mom said “Honey it’s time to get ready to go” Jasmine didn’t say a word she just got up and went to the bathroom to take a shower and get dress which is the most she had done in the last two weeks. A little while later they arrived at the cemetery and shortly after they arrived the service started and all that Jasmine could do was cry she just wanted him back so badly she would do anything but she know nothing she did could bring him back. At the end of the service she placed a rose on his casket and she was saying her last goodbyes to the person she loved so deeply and who she believed was the love of her life and he was taken so suddenly from her and his family who loved Jasmine like she was a part of their family. As she was walking to the car Jakes parents came over to her and gave her a great big hug and said to her “We have something for you he would have wanted you to have it” they said with a smile and handed her his class ring and she started to cry even harder but through her tears she said “Thank you so very much I will hold it close to my heart forever” “But what look at the inscription says” As she read it she cried as if her heart was being ripped out of her chest but to her that is exactly what it felt like. She gave the Morgan’s and looked down at the inscription again and it said Jasmine My Heart is Yours Forever.