The lost Children of Denali | Teen Ink

The lost Children of Denali

October 23, 2014
By Silence_of_the_me BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia
More by this author
Silence_of_the_me BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia
4 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
i cant drown my demons they know how to swim or i need you like a boy needs his mommas side.... this is not what it is only baby scars


Author's note:

I was bored one day and i decided that I wanted to write a book about a girl that was stuck between two people. bad boys and good girls.. who could resist 

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences

     “CARSYNTHAT ISNT FAIR!” Monica yelled, and I winced. “Deal with it sweetie because you aren’t going ANYWHERE until I have met this guy, and informed him of the rules.” Carsyn said, his eyes hard blue silver that had me wanting to back down for her, he is the oldest and he’s in charge no matter how much no one else likes it. Monica rolled her eyes, and tried to do the puppy dog look, but that has never worked on Carsyn, especially when he was on his ‘Safety is first’ kicks that no one can get him out of. “CARSYNNNNNN, that is so uncool.” She whined, and exaggerating the ‘N’ in Carsyn. “If everything was about being cool, then we’d be off the charts. Now, go take your shower and get ready for bed.” Carsyn said, his deep voice commanding. She rolled her ember eyes, and I could tell she was calculating everything in her head. She was going to do something stupid and get caught, and then we would all be in trouble. “Hey Monica, I will fix your hair. When you get out of the shower I mean.” I said, and Mayce nodded. “Will you do my hair too mommie?” Monica and Mayce are young, Monica is ten but very outspoken and rebellious, and Mayce is four and believes I am her mom. I know its mean to let her believe it, but I let her because she will have to face the fact that she is an orphan soon enough I don’t want her head filled with the pain we all went through until she can fully process and understand it. I nodded, and she smiled showing her teeth, missing two at the front. “I will take a shower with Monya then you do it too!” She said, happy with the fact that I would do something with her.
     After Monica left in a huff, a giggling Mayce right behind her Carsyn let out a sigh. “Thanks Des.” He said smiling. My heart skipped a beat, and I nodded. “It’s okay; I just wanted to keep everyone outta trouble.” I said, pushing my light pink hair out of my eyes. His eyes followed the action, and nodded. “Why do you let Mace call you mommie?” He asked. “I figure that soon enough she will know that she doesn’t have a mom but while she’s innocent enough to believe that I’m her mom I will let her.” I said, smiling. “I remember when you were smaller.” He said. “Yeah I was a shrimp.” I said, blushing the same color as my hair. “No need to be embarrassed. You were cute when you were smaller.” He said. Again, I blushed. “So I must be ugly now if I was cute then.” I said, lowering my head. “No! You’re not ugly in the slightest.” He said, quickly. “Well you said that I was cute when I was smaller, so that indicates that I am not cute now.” I said, frowning. “You’re beautiful, not cute.” He said, nervously. “Oh, I don’t see how I am beautiful. Kind of awkward maybe, but beautiful is a no-no.” I said self cautiously. “Yes you are.” He said, smiling a little.
     We stared at each other, a comfortable silence just looking into each other’s eyes. “Well, uh I am going to go read. Yeah, I’m going to go read, come and get me from the foyer if you need me.” He said, kind of awkwardly. “Uh yeah sure, you do that.” I said, nodding. Secretly, I was increasingly disappointed but I didn’t say anything, because how lame is that? Girls don’t just put their emotions out there like that anymore… if they do, it’s a disaster. At least for me it is. I went to the back bedroom, and saw Chrys sitting on the bed next to Cyrus. Cyrus looked mad, and Chrys looked confused but hurt. “What’s wrong?” I asked, sensing the tension in the air. “It’s nothing. Mind your own why dontcha.” Cyrus said, glaring icily at me. “WHOA, don’t go getting all snappy with me. I’m the owner of the room you guys are currently in and I am pretty sure I can kick both of your tails, or you can tell me why Chrys looks like you just ripped his heart out and stepped on it. Which with your attitude I bet you did that a couple times though; I don’t know why you want to do it to Chrys.” I said. “I’M SICK OF EVERYTHING BEING ABOUT CHRYS AND MONICA AND MAYCE! WHAT IF SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH ME?” Cyrus yelled, scaring me.
     “Well you don’t have to do alla that. You could have just said that you needed some Cyrus and Des time you coulda said something.” I said, softly and a little nervous. “Dessie, I’m sorry.” He said, stepping forward and moving my bangs out of my eyes. I stepped back, and smiled at him. “Well, after I do Monica and Mace’s hair, we can watch scary movies? If you want that is.” I said, and he nodded. “Yeah, sure I’ll make popcorn and get the movies. Do you want to watch Freddy, Annabelle or the Silent Hill movies?” He asked. “Uh… Does the Devils Rejects still work, or did Chrys break them? I can’t remember.” I said. “Some of the devils rejects work I think. The whole set doesn’t work, but all the Freddy movies work.” He said, looking mischievous.  I hate the Freddy movies because I can only imagine what those poor teenagers go through, and Cy knows that but hey, he’s a butt-munch sometimes. “Oh fine.” I hesitantly agreed. Cyrus smiled, and went to go get the movies.
     “WE’RE DONEEEE!” Mayce yelled, running to my bedroom. I sat on the bed and patted in front of me on the bed. Monica hopped onto the bed in front of me and turned around. I grabbed the black and pink spiral brush that was on the bedside table and ran it through her blond hair. Her bangs are green and pink, but Carsyn wouldn’t let her dye all her hair. I personally don’t know why not, but my hair is pink and black so I am sort of biased. Mayce has red hair, and icy green eyes. She bent her head back and I began braiding the top of her hair, like when you french braid hair. When I finished her hair she got up and looked in the mirror. “How the fridge do you do that!” She asked. “It’s easy, I will show you one day when I haven’t promised Cy something. Okay?” I said. “Okay, that’s cool!” Monica said, smiling. Mayce hopped up on the bed and sat in front of me as well. I was so busy with the girls I didn’t notice that Cyrus was standing to the side, on the outside of the door watching me, with a tiny little smile.
     “You’re all done, kiddo.” I said, smiling at Mayce. “Otay thank you mommie!” she said, jumping down and running to Monica who was sitting on the floor playing with her game boy. “You’re welcome, now go play dollies so that Cyrus and I  can hang out some.” I said. “Okay, come on squirt. We’ll go play babies, I call Linda.” Monica said, smiling at her. Mayce nodded, and ran after her. “Hey Des, your good with the girls I guess I never really noticed.” Cyrus said, scratching the back of his head. “Eh not really, I just know that they need someone to care more than just a friend way, and I do that. I fill the mom space so that they aren’t alone. It’s not that hard, it’s just they love me and I love them.” I said. “I know they love you, we all do. Without you none of us would eat.” Cyrus said, smiling. “Oh, nice so that’s how y’all see me. A family cook.” I said, feigning hurt. “NO! NO, NO, NO!  No you’re not the family cook!” he said, quickly. “I know, if yah didn’t love me you’d put me out on the streets now, Freddy or Alessa?” I said. “Freddy.” He said, smirking.
     He put the movie in the DVD player and turned out my light and closed the door so that neither of the girls accidentally sees the movie. He sat on the bed and crawled behind me. “Lay down, I can’t see through you.” He said, not as smart as it should have sounded but I did what he said, and laid down in front of him. Lying there, I barely paid any attention to the movie because I was constantly thinking about what he was thinking. Cyrus is the most shut off of us all, he talks but you never know whether or not he’s fully there, or if he is even talking to you. Cyrus and Chrys have never gotten along well, maybe it’s because they both were considerably misunderstood and they both just want to have all the attention. Or maybe Cyrus is right and we never pay him any attention, because Chrys loves attention and he doesn’t care who gives it to him, or why they give it to them, he just wants attention.
     Cyrus is also second oldest, so we all expect him to be… independent maybe? Cyrus has always been the most secretive of us as well. Yes, the past is the past but everyone besides him have shared their past, -well, if they are old enough to remember it. Cyrus though, never said anything about it he patted everyone else on the back when we shared ours, but he never shared his. I shivered, feeling his breath hit my neck and I turned around. “You’re not paying attention to the movie.” He said. “Eh, you know I hate Freddy.” I said. “Why do you hate Freddy?” He asked, clearly confused. “Because he’s creepy, like he stalks and kills the kids of the parents that killed him a couple hundred years ago. And he doesn’t die! Like that isn’t creepy enough, he has to kill people—kids at that!” I said, preachy. “Those kids are older than you, sweet cheeks.” He said, and I frowned. “Not really, I will be eighteen in two months then I will be as old as them.” I said. “I didn’t realize you were that old. It doesn’t seem like you should be that old. I remember the day we met still; it’s been ten years since then. I can’t believe it.” He said, pushing my pink bangs out of my eyes.
     What is it with all the attractive guys in our house pushing my bangs out of my eyes? They aren’t pretty to look at, not at all. They are just boring brown nothing special. There was something in his eyes, which I had seen a thousand times or more that I had never noticed before. Something about the grey-blue eyes was different. They were dark and just as beautiful as normal but there was something behind the irises that made me believe he was trying to see through me. His eyes made me wonder, just what exactly he was looking for in my eyes and if he was ever going to find it. Before I had time to ask him what he was doing, he leaned down and his lips touched mine.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.