Love's Mistake | Teen Ink

Love's Mistake

By CountryPopGirl PLATINUM, Lawrenceville, New Jersey
CountryPopGirl PLATINUM, Lawrenceville, New Jersey

"You love someone, you open yourself up to suffering, that's the sad truth. Maybe they'll break your heart, maybe you'll break their heart and never be able to look at yourself in the same way. Those are the risks. The thought of losing so much control over personal happiness is unbearable. That's the burden. Like wings, they have weight, we feel that weight on our backs, but they are a burden that lifts us. Burdens which allow us to fly..."
-Dr. Jack Hodgins (Bones)

Author's note:

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

He told her to meet him at their spot. Their spot was at the top of an old pine tree. It was where they first met. He went up there to stargaze through the branches and she went up there to think, not knowing the other was there. It was about 15 minutes before the girl started talking to herself, trying to organize her thoughts. He decided to listen silently and keep his presence unknown. Once he heard her start to cry, he went around the tree to comfort her.

When the girl saw him, she was startled and almost fell off her branch. Luckily, the boy caught her and pulled back onto her branch. "Thanks," she said awkwardly, embarrassed about what had just happened. "You probably heard me talking to myself, didn't you. And now you think that I am just some crazy girl, right?"

"Actually," he responded, "Quite the opposite. I think that you just need some to talk to and you were the only one who would listen. Not a crazy person."

"Well, how much of it did you hear?" She asked shyly, the tears she cried earlier starting to dry up.

"Enough to know that you needed someone to comfort you." He told her, reaching out to hug her. She openly accepted his hug, thinking to herself that someone does care. After she moved out of the hug she got more curious about this mysterious man. He wasn't like the guys at her college. Those boys were jerks and party animals, trying to capture any pretty thing that caught their eye. But this boy in front of her was different. Instead of wasting the night at parties, he was up here, in a tree. He comforted her even though he didn't know who she was. He wasn't one of those guys that takes life as a joke.

He looked at her, trying to figure out what she was doing here. He had heard her say things about another guy, Tyler. From the way she described him, Tyler seemed like a conceited, egotistical, arrogant, manipulative guy. But from the tone of her voice, she had cared for him deeply, and he just used her feelings to get what he wanted. He looked at her and saw her brown hair that fell just below her shoulders. Her face that was stained with mascara and the tears she had been crying and the olive colored skin that was covered by makeup. He saw her green eyes, those beautiful green eyes. They were the most beautiful thing about her, and yet they held an enormous amount pain. But he knew that he could unlock those secrets and heal her scars, if he was given the chance.

"Can I know your name?" She asked him.

"Jeremy, and your name?" He responded.

"Jamie," She replied, shaking his hand. "So what are you doing up here anyway? I've come up here to think and never met you."

"Well, I'm a stargazer. I know what you're thinking, why stargaze in a tree. I believe that the branches block out some of the noise from below. Plus when I'm up high, I feel like I am closer to the stars." He sighed, looking at the stars through the branches. "Another thing I like about being up here is that the stars are brighter. Those little twinkling dots stuck in a black oblivion and banished from the day by the sun." He moved some of the branches so that he could see better and show her some of the stars. "Something I like to do is make up my own constellations. For example, you see those three stars that form a straight line? And those stars that form an arc above the line? I call that the ice cream cone of the universe." Jamie giggled at his name for the constellation. She thought, no she knew that this guy was a dreamer and that he was a fun guy. "Now you make a constellation," he said, interrupting her thoughts. She leaned on his chest to get a better view of the stars.

Jamie looked at the stars through the window of branches that Jeremy had created. She stared at the stars, waiting for something to pop out. Then a group of stars twinkled at her. The group and surrounding stars looked like a bunny to her. "I got one, you see that group of stars that look like an oval? And the circle near the top right? Then the two lines almost straight above the circle? I think that those stars form a bunny."

"So, what is your constellation's name?" Jeremy asked charmingly.

"Hmm," she mused, thinking of its name. It couldn't be simple, but something that confusing like ursa major, then it hit her. "I'll call it the Jeremy bunny," she told him, giggling after she said it.

Jeremy also giggled, "I found a new constellation." He said, controlling his giggling. "You see those two bright stars and the arc under them? I am naming that Jamie's twinkling face." He said looking down at her with his sky blue eyes that seemed to twinkle just likes the stars in the sky.

Jamie felt appreciated and comfortable around Jeremy. Leaning on his chest made her feel safe and secure, just like she used to with Tyler. Her mind flashed to her time with Tyler, reminding her of what she had before he cheated on her. She pulled away, remembering why she came up here. She just got out of a horrible relationship and wouldn't get into another with Jeremy. Jamie didn't want him to be her rebound guy and hurt him when she would break it off like Tyler did to her. She immediately pulled away from Jeremy. She wouldn't, no she couldn't get involved with him, or be near him, she did want to this relationship between him and her to be more than acquaintances.

"I have to go," she told him abruptly, fleeing down the tree as fast as she could. Jeremy followed her down just as fast. He wondered what he had done to upset her. One second she was having what seemed like a fun time naming constellations, and the next she was running away from him.

Once his feet landed on the ground, he looked for her and saw her running. "Jamie wait!" Against all odds, she stopped running once she heard him call. He caught up to her, gasping for breath. "Why did you run?"

"I can't talk about it," she whispered.

"Then can you at least tell me what I did wrong? One minute you're having fun and the next your are running away."

"You didn't do anything wrong Jeremy, I did," she said her voice growing softer as she went on.

"Jamie, you didn't do anything wrong. You were having fun. In what world is having a fun time wrong?"

"When it reminds you of what you once had. . ." Jamie whispered almost inaudibly. Jeremy quickly enveloped her in a hug, realizing what she was talking about.

"I know that Tyler hurt you, but you can make new happier memories that don't involve him."

"Wait how do you know- right, you were eavesdropping on me."

"I prefer the term listening to a person."

"Well it doesn't matter because I have to go back to my dorm now." Jamie started walking away from Jeremy, tears starting to form.

"Can I know which college you go to?"

"Jaberlin University, why?" She questioned his odd question

"Because I want to hang out with you some more. And not just know you as the girl that works out here problems in a tree." Jamie started giggling at the comment about the tree.

"Well, I'm on the north side of the campus."

"I'm in the northeast section."

"Maybe we can bump into each other on the way to class. And I should really be going, I have a test in the morning for Business 101."

"So do I. I think we might be in the same class."

"I guess we'll see more of each other more often then and we'll know each other more than just a crazy girl who hangs out in a tree and a guy that star gazes and eavesdrops." They both chuckled at the descriptions of themselves. "It's getting cold out and I really need to go back, we can just walk and talk. Maybe even study." Jeremy did as she requested and started walking back toward the college. He noticed that she was getting cold because of the goosebumps on her skin. He took off the jacket he was wearing and put it over her shoulders. He could deal with the cold air. Jamie looked at him after he put his jacket on her. Wow she thought to herself. He really is a different kind of guy. I wonder if he was born with his charm and kindness or was it thrust upon him. She smiled at him for the warm gesture. Jeremy smiled back at the girl he had just met.

From that night on, their relationship quickly grew from acquaintance to friend to dating. The tree became their spot. They would go there whenever they need each other or when they wanted to be alone. It always was reminder of how they met and how high they could go to reach their dreams. For Jeremy, it reminded him of the hard work it took and the big leaps of faith needed to be taken to get where you want. Jamie on the other hand, saw their spot as how close she could come to making her dreams a reality and how when you focus, the answer will become clear.

But tonight, it would become more than that. It would become the most important spot for each of them. Jeremy had called Jamie and told her to meet him at their spot at 10 PM. He went there a half hour earlier, making sure that everything was perfect. He had rehearsed dozens of time, but still felt nervous. Eventually, Jamie climbed up and met him wondering what this was all about, he sounded nervous on the phone.

Once she saw him, she planted a quick kiss on his cheek. "Hey Jer."

"Hey Jamie," he responded. Jeremy started staring at Jamie, as if he were studying her.

“Why are you staring at me?”

“I’m just wondering how I ended up dating an angel as beautiful as you.”

“Same way I ended up with the world’s most amazing guy.”

“No, you were dropped from heaven in order to try and make the world a better place. I know because of when I look at you. Your eyes shine brighter than the brightest stars, your smile is whiter than a fresh coat of snow. You are the most graceful creature to ever walk this earth and anyone should be proud to know you. The night we met, you changed my world forever. I love you Jamie and I am thankful for every moment I get to spend with you. And I don’t ever want there to be a day that you don’t know that.” Jeremy then reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a box. "Marry me?"

Jamie was literally speechless. It all made sense now, the time when he was out for hours and didn't tell her why, the constant writing and scribbling, the nervous phone call. Jeremy was getting ready to propose to her. She hadn't expected this, but she was excited and nervous at the thought of becoming his fiancee. It made her think back to Tyler and her daydreams of a life with him. She immediately banished those thoughts from her head. He was part of her past and now Jeremy would be part of her future. "Yes. Yes yes yes Jeremy yes," she replied excitedly. Jeremy took the ring out of the box and slipped it onto his fiancee's finger. Her face seemed to glow with excitement.

The couple tried to kiss, only losing their balance in the process. "I don't think that kissing in this tree is such a good idea," Jamie told Jeremy. "I'm getting down, then the fun can begin." She immediately started jumping down the tree. Jeremy followed her down, almost as if it were a game of who could get down quicker.

Once Jamie was about a third of the way down the tree, she lost her footing and started falling down, hitting branches in her rapid descent. Jeremy heard the sound of her hitting branches and saw her falling. He climbed down the tree as fast as he could, desperate to try and help Jamie. Unfortunately, Jamie fell onto the ground before Jeremy could reach her. He dropped down from the tree and scanned her body for any external damage. A small pool of blood started forming near her head. Jeremy hoped for the best and started screaming Jamie's name, trying to see if she was conscious. She moaned, "Jer," before slipping into an unconscious state.

Jeremy panicked; what was he supposed to do about Jamie? She was unconscious and fading fast and he knew he was going to lose her if he didn't do something. He whipped out his cell phone and quickly checked to see if there was a signal. Nothing. He knew he would have to take her to the hospital himself. Luckily for him, he had driven here after picking up the ring.

He picked up Jamie and carried her to his car. He laid her into the back seat and heard her moan his name in her state. "It's alright Jamie, you are going to be just fine." He told her, tears on verge of spilling over his eyelids as he closed the door and got into the driver seat. Jeremy sped down the streets, trying to get to the hospital as quickly as he could. He rushed his car through a red light at around 70 mph and got hit by another car. The front of the car that hit Jeremy was compacted and it spun out. Jeremy's car started spinning, and they started flipping over and over. By the time it had stopped rolling, the car was totalled; the roof was smashed in, the doors that were still on the car were hanging by their hinges, any glass was shattered and hit Jeremy like tiny projectiles. His car left a trail of carnage in its wake.

Other drivers at the light got out of their cars to check on the two drivers. The driver that hit Jeremy wasn't badly injured, just a broken leg, but Jeremy was a lot worse. His legs and ribs were broken, he was bleeding from his head and abdomen, and his face was torn and scratched up. Jeremy was still conscious but didn’t worry about his injuries, only Jamie. He looked back towards her and saw what he had done to her. She was bleeding badly and appeared to have a broken arm and leg. People tried to help Jeremy, and they managed to get him out of the car, but he made them get Jamie out before helping him.

Once someone took Jamie out, Jeremy tried to walk to her, but fell as soon as he took a step. He sat up and looked at Jamie, who was breathing heavily. He reached out to hold her hand. Her saw her chest rise and fall, rise and fall, rise and fall, and then stay still. The person holding her gently laid her down next to Jeremy, realizing that she was dead. Jeremy, still holding her hand, stared at her, tears flowing from his eyes. He looked at her and saw her brown hair, her beautiful face, and her enchanting green eyes that now were lifeless.

“I’m sorry, Jamie. I’m sorry,” he whispered to her. Jeremy became weak, his heart rapidly breaking and shattering. He fell and hit the pavement, still holding Jamie's hand, as he died from his injuries. He awoke a moment later as a ghost, and saw his love. He walked over to her, hugging her. "Jamie, I'm so-"

"Shush," she cut him off. "You don't need to apologize, you were only trying to help me. She then kissed him. "Now, why don't we go spend eternity together?" She asked.

"Let’s," Jeremy responded, wanting to be with his angel forever. A bright light appeared in front of them. They walked into the light, hand in hand, ready to start a new journey together.

This is an alternate ending. If you loved the one I already wrote, then don't read this chapter.

"Let's," Jeremy responded, wanting to be with his angel forever. A bright light appeared in front of them. Suddenly Jeremy couldn't move. He tried to move his feet, but they were glued to the ground.

"Jer, why aren't you walking with me?" Jamie asked, worried that he wasn't coming with her.

"I can't walk," he responded, worrying that he would have to spend eternity as a ghost. He then began being dragged backwards, like he was fighting a strong wind. He grabbed onto Jamie's hands who was strangely unaffected.

"Don't leave me Jeremy!" Jamie cried, tears starting to form.

"I don't want to!" Jeremy told her. His hands began slipping and he flew backwards, calling Jamie's name as he was taken away. He awoke again, this time back in his body. He saw a person overtop of him and felt two things on his chest. He looked and saw that they were pads from an AED. Jeremy then remembered Jamie was beside him. He looked over at her, seeing that they were using an AED on her too. “Jamie,” he whispered before passing out.

Jeremy awoke three days later in a hospital room. He felt pain all over his body, and noticed that he was in a hospital room. “Dude he’s waking up,” Jeremy heard someone say. “Get the doc.” He saw someone leave and return a minute later with a man in a white coat, probably the doctor.

“Hello Jeremy, how are you feeling right?” the doctor asked.

“Where’s Jamie?” Jeremy responded, remembering that she was dead. He wanted to, no he needed know if she was actually dead. When the doctor didn’t answer Jeremy got worried, “Where is she?” He pleaded.

“You can’t see her,” the doctor responded hesitantly. Jeremy feared the worst, thinking she was actually dead. The doctor saw Jeremy’s pain, “She’s fine, but she’s in critical condition,” he told Jeremy.

“Can you tell me what’s wrong with her doc?”

“Jeremy,” he sighed heavily. “She’s in a coma. She has a broken arm and leg, a concussion, and some internal bleeding. She has also been experiencing Sudden Cardiac Arrest and has to be monitored constantly. If she stops experiencing SCA, she can be removed from ICU and you two could share the room together.”

“Doc, I think you mean WHEN she stops experiencing SCA.”

“Jeremy, she has gone into cardiac arrest five times since the hospital. You have to accept the possibility that it may not stop and that if she goes into cardiac arrest again-”

“Don’t say it. I have already seen her die once.”

The room grew silent for a minute as no one wanted to say something. “Well,” the doctor started awkwardly. ”I’ll let you know if her condition changes. As for you, we’ll monitor you for the next couple of days and you can be discharged in about a week.” Then the doctor left abruptly, not wanting to spend more time with the broken chap.

Jeremy’s room was quiet, until one of his friends started talking. “Jer. . .” one of them started, “How are you feeling, really?”

“Well Blake, besides the pain from my leg and chest, I’m fine. Except for the fact that I can’t see Jamie and she has practically died five times and I didn’t even know it.” Jeremy started to choke on the last sentence, as if saying it meant that he would have to accept that she had died.

“Dude, calm down. It’s just a chick, what’s the big deal?” his friend Zane told him a mocking manner.

“The big deal Zane is that I love her and I proposed to her and if I didn’t worry about her what kind of fiancee would I be?!” Jeremy retorted.

“Wait back up. She said yes?!” Blake asked excitedly. Jeremy nodded proudly, happy that something positive came of this disaster.

"But now. . . I just don't think I could survive without her."

"Well, maybe some bad hospital food could take your mind off of her," Blake told Jeremy, trying to stop his friend from worrying.

"Alright, besides I am starving." With that, Blake went away leaving Jeremy and Zane alone. The two had never been the best of friends, but they could tolerate each other and would often make fun of eachother. But right now, Zane would try not to be the obnoxious character he always was; he would try to be there for his friend.

"Hey Jer, I got a question for ya."

"Oh no," Jeremy said, throwing his left hand to his forehead. "What is it? Let me guess, something about how Jamie is or about how stupid I am for being a 'sensitive guy'. Am I close?"

"Partially. You never told me how you knew she was the one. Bros don't keep secrets from bros."

"Yeah, although I think you keep stuff from your bros." Jeremy sighed, knowing Zane wouldn't drop the subject until he got an answer. "I knew the first night we met. She wasn't one of those girls that are all about how beautiful or how sexy they are. She was crying over her ex and didn't care that a stranger saw her makeup running. She stopped and actually had some fun stargazing me. And you and I both know that not a lot of girls like to stargaze. . . I don't exactly know how I knew she was the one, but there was something about her that night. Something different and amazing that made me instantly fall for her. . . Just like she fell for me." He told Zane, regretting saying that last part.

"Dude, don't tell me that it's one of those 'love at first' or 'Romeo and Juliet' romances."

"Not at all. First of all, Romeo and Juliet got married after knowing each other for only a day. Secondly, they had a forbidden love and Romeo was a player. Third and final, Jamie didn't love me at first sight. By the way, how are things with you and Stephanie?" The two continued their chat about girls until Blake returned. Then they just talked about random stuff. Everything from sports to school to the weather, anything to waste time.

During the next two days, Jeremy had been getting stronger and Jamie hadn't gone into cardiac arrest those two days, although she was still in a coma. Jeremy was constantly asking for updates on Jamie's medical condition. The doctors finally told him that the two of them could share a room just to get him to stop asking. She was set to arrive in the room at 5:30. Jeremy was so excited he could barely keep himself down. His doctor gave him a sedative to make him sleep. The doctor had noticed that Jeremy was becoming restless and that he needed to rest to stay strong, especially if he was shocked by how bad Jamie’s condition was.

By the time Jeremy woke up, it was dark out. He knew that it was past 6, probably past 9, and that Jamie would be in the room. Jeremy looked to his side, but didn't see Jamie. He then began frantically looking around the room, wondering where she was. His eyes landed on a figure on the opposite side of the room.

"Hello?" Jeremy called, wondering if the figure was just part of his imagination. The figure then stood up and carefully walked towards Jeremy. He walked with his shoulders hunched and his footsteps heavy as if burdening bad news. As the man got closer, Jeremy realized that it was Blake. When Blake stopped by Jeremy, he didn’t say anything, making Jeremy worry. “Blake. Do you know where Jamie is?” Blake only responded with a sigh, trying to hide his face. Jeremy knew the Blake knew where she was, “Blake. . .” Blake sniffled and finally showed his face to Jeremy. His eyes and face were red, tears streaming down his cheeks. “No. No. No no no no no!”

“I’m sorry. . .” Blake whispered. Jeremy’s throat started to tighten and felt swollen. He eyes became glassy and tears came flowing out of his eyes. He couldn’t move, couldn’t breathe, and that there was a crushing weight on his chest that got heavier as time went on.

“When,” Jeremy choked out, trying to figure out Jamie could have di- no, he couldn’t admit it.

Blake wiped some tears from his eyes before saying anything. “She um. . . she went into SCA. . . before they could transfer her. They. . . they tried to. . . but they couldn’t. . . at 5:35 they called it. I’m sorry man. I really am.”

“I don’t believe you,” Jeremy said coldly. “I know she’s not dead, she is stronger than that.” He started removing all of the wires and tubes from his body.

“What are you doing Jer?”

“I am going to see Jamie. She isn’t dead,” he said, removing the last wire. He then stood up and tried to walk, crashing to the floor as he tried to walk on his broken leg. Blake went over and helped his friend off the floor. Blake restrained him, keeping him from leaving the room. “Blake, let me go. I have to see Jamie,” Jeremy yelled at his friend.

“No, I am not letting you see her. I don’t want to see my friend hurt more than he already is.” Jeremy then stopped fighting Blake and sat down on his bed. He threw his head into his hands, trying to accept the fact. Blake put his arm around his friend's shoulder, trying to comfort him. The doctor walked in, ready to tell Jeremy the news, but saw that he had already heard. He cleared his throat so that the boys would know he was there. Jeremy looked up, his eyes red and puffy.

"Jeremy. . . I'm sorry for your loss," The doctor said awkwardly. "If you want, you can see-"

"I don't think that would be a great idea doc," Blake interrupted.

"Well. . . I have some good news. Jeremy should be out of her in a few short days if his injuries continue to heal. Make sure he rests," The doctor directed Blake.

"More like torture than anything else," Jeremy muttered to himself. With that, the doctor left the room in a hurry.

"Come on man, you had better get some rest. You heard the doctor, you need it to get strong." Blake encouraged Jeremy, trying to lighten the mood.

"I'd rather just lay here, and try to make sense of all of this."

"You and I both know that is a horrible idea. Now don't make me have a nurse sedate you."

"All right," Jeremy said, rolling onto his side. "Just make sure you don't let Zane be the jerk that he normally is."

"Hard to do that when that's what makes him interesting." The two boys chuckled at the comment. "Now get some rest." Blake turned off the hospital lights in Jeremy's room, trying to encourage him to sleep.

It was awhile before Jeremy actually began to rest. Whenever he thought about Jamie, his eyes started to tear up and he flashed back to when they were together. Once he actually did fall asleep, he began to dream about Jamie. At first, they he was just reliving memories, but then his dream was in his hospital room and Jamie was standing in front of him. She was wearing the same clothes she wore the he proposed to her, only they were darker and wetter. Jeremy immediately got out of his bed and ran to Jamie. He hugged her and kissed her, never wanting to let her go. When Jeremy took a second to look at her, he couldn't believe that she was actually in front of him.

"Jamie! You're here!"

"Yes, I know Jeremy."

"But how, I mean everyone said that you. . . you. . ." He couldn't say the word.

"Died. Well. . ."Jamie hesitated.

"Oh god. You. . . you died," Jeremy squeaked out as he went to sit down; Jamie only nodded. "Wait, then how are you. . . are you. . . How?" Jeremy stammered.

"Well, I am a ghost. Jeremy, you're dreaming. You can only see me when you aren't conscious. I haven't quite mastered the art of manipulating objects to let you know I'm here yet. I haven't even tried yet." Jamie giggled about not even knowing where to start with moving objects.

"Jamie, why are you giggling? I did this to you. I caused the car crash and I couldn't help you when you fell out of the tree. Jamie, I'm sorry!" Jeremy's eyes started to tear up again.

" Jeremy," Jamie said, sitting down next to him. "You have nothing to be sorry for we discussed this before, the first time I was a ghost."

"Wait, you died before? Just add it to the list of my mistakes with you." Jeremy threw his head into his hands, regretting the night this all started.

"Yes. Oh, you don't remember. Do you?"

"No, I don't. All I remember is that I saw you die and then I blacked out."

"Hmm. . . maybe you can't remember when what you did as a ghost when you were alive," Jamie pondered

"Now you're telling me that I also died. Why do you need to torture me with all this? It's bad enough that I caused your death once, but I didn't the guilt of knowing I did it twice."

"I'm sorry, but I thought you might want to know that at one point we were almost together forever. There was a bright light, and then you got pulled back to your body. I followed and briefly remember being in a hospital room before I became a ghost again. One thing that I we discussed when you and I were both ghost was how it wasn't your fault I died. You didn't make me lose my footing and you did what you thought was right." Jamie held out her hand, admiring her engagement ring. "I don't have any regrets from that night, especially the decision to become your wife." She smiled at Jeremy.

"Really? But I caused you so much pain and suffering-"

"And if I could do it over again, I wouldn't change a thing."

"I'm sor-"

"No," Jamie said, putting her finger on his lips. "The only words I won't to hear from those lips are 'I love you.' Got it?" Jamie nodded and then kissed her. He felt like he was as close to heaven as he could without dying, again that is. Suddenly Jeremy woke up. It was daylight out and he saw Zane in his room.

"Hey there Sleeping Beauty," He said obnoxiously.

"Hey Zane," Jeremy greeted, still sleepy.

"You know something,princess, I find you sleep patterns very interesting."

"Oh really, and why do you say that?"

"Because you smile in your sleep, which leads me to think that you were dreaming about Jamie."

"Zane, first off, Don't mention her. I assume you already know. Second, I have no idea what I dreamed about. I could have been dreaming about football or the play put on by one of the drama classes."

"Alright, dear king. Just observing something."

"Hey, what's with you calling me titles? Are you doing something for drama?"

"Noble, you'd be surprised to find that it is hard to address someone that you know as Duke of Whatever, Prince Pondicherry, or some other title like that."

"Dude, you are totally messing with me."

"What, I have to have a reason to mess with you now?"

"Yeah," Jeremy said casually. They both started laughing at that, realizing how stupid it was. The two then casually talked about Zane's college courses and what was going on in the world while Jeremy was cooped up in the hospital. Both of them made sure to stay away from the topic of girls for Jeremy's well-being.

Over the course of the next few days, Jeremy tried to not think about Jamie, but he would often break that rule and start to cry, missing her. Whenever Jeremy slept, he dreamt about Jamie, first the flashbacks and then the dream that Jamie controlled. However, every night, Jeremy wouldn't remember his dream where Jamie was a ghost and Jamie would have to say the same thing every night. Jeremy only remembered bits and fragments of the dream that made no sense to him.

On the day he was going to be released from the hospital, Jamie was desperate to have Jeremy remember the dream. He needed to know that she was still here. Another thing she worried about was how to get out of the hospital. She knew that if Jeremy didn't take something that belonged to her out of the hospital, she couldn't leave the hospital until her body was cremated.

"Jeremy, listen to me closely," Jamie told him. "You have to get something for me."

"What? You know I'd do anything for you. I need you to get the engagement ring you gave to me. I can attach myself to it so that wherever it goes, so do I."

"So, you want me to get the ring so that you can haunt me?"

"I prefer the term watch over you."

"But how will I remember. For the past few days, I haven't remembered much of this dream. How can you be sure I'll remember to get your ring?"

“Because I realized that when we kiss, you slip into a trance that allows you to wake up. And because of that trance, you can't remember the dreams. Your subconscious knows that the dream had come to end when you are pleased. So what I need to do is take away the choice. I have to make you consciousness and forcibly take control of your mind. That way, you can't slip into the trance and have your subconscious make you forget."

"I guess taking those psychology courses helped you come up with that theory."

"No, my own theory from what I remember of my dreams. I have only remembered the dreams that scared me, or ones that I almost died in."

"Hey Jamie, can I ask you a question?"

"Sorry Jer, but I Need you to wake up. I promise that we can talk in your next dream," Jamie said sweetly. "Now, I need to try and scare you. Any suggestions?"

"Why can't you do something else? Why do you need to scare me Jamie?"

"I'm sorry, but I don't know how else you can wake up besides almost killing. I promise that if there is any other method, I will try and find it tomorrow, I just need you to wake up right now."

"The only thing I can think of right now that can scare me awake was when I thought I would lose you."

"Good. I am going to try something, just wait a sec." Jamie put her hand to her head as if trying hard to remember something. Suddenly the Jeremy and Jamie were transported to that night. The two watched each other as the scene played out. Jeremy went through every emotion he felt that night. When he saw the blood from Jamie's head spill out, he started to cry and then was transported back to the hospital room.

"Hello Jeremy," the doctor greeted warmly. "You done resting?"

"Yeah doc, I am ready to get out of the hospital."

"Well, all you need to do is sign these release papers and then you'll be on your way back to a normal life."

"Hold on a sec doc," Jeremy said as he was signing the release papers. "Can you do me a favor?"

"Depending on the favor, maybe."

Jeremy gulped nervously, "Can I um. . . can you get the ring that Jamie was wearing? I need something to remember her by."

"Um, I am not sure. I don't think her possessions have been released yet. Nurse! Can you see if you can get Jamie Main's engagement ring for this man?" The nurse then left the room to try and retrieve the object.

She came back a few minutes later carrying the ring. "Thank you," Jeremy told her as she gave it to him.

"Dr. Sweet, is this man ready to be released?"

"Yes, he is." The nurse then got a pair of crutches for Jeremy. His leg had gotten better, but was a long way from healing completely. Jeremy took the crutches and started heading out of the hospital. Once he was out of the door, he saw Blake with his car.

"Hey bud,"Blake said patting Jeremy's back. "I thought that it'd be easier to get you back to college in a car that's not totalled."

"I banged it up that bad?"

"Yeah, but the cost would be even worse if you didn't have insurance."

"Ah, well I just want to get back to college. Try and keep some normalcy to my life." Jeremy then got into the passenger's seat and Blake in the driver's. The drive back to the college was a silent one, neither boy knowing what to say to the other. Once at the college, Blake and Jeremy retired to their dorm. Jeremy was released late at night, so the two boys went straight to bed. Jeremy looked at the ring before going to sleep, a tear escaping his eye. He hoped that it would work and that Jamie would actually be with him when he fell asleep. Once Jeremy started dreaming, Jamie appeared. "It worked!" He shouted enveloping her in a hug.

"Told you it would," Jamie told him.

“So what now?”

"Well. . . we have the whole night to do whatever we want to," Jamie told Jeremy. She then kissed him on the passionately as they fell into a new sort of love. When Jeremy awoke, he remembered everything that had happened that night and was confused. According to Jamie's theory, he should have forgotten his dream, but he didn't. He needed answers, but he didn't have the time right now. He had to try and keep a normal life, but what is normal about having your girlfriend haunt you because of something you did.

As the minutes turned into hours, the hours to days, and the days to weeks, Jeremy kept dreaming of Jamie. Jamie had also taught herself how to move and hold objects like she could when she was alive. She could let Jeremy know that she was there or leave him messages or a ghostly kiss in class. He loved knowing that she was around, but hated the fact that he couldn't hold her, couldn't see her, couldn't be with her. He beat himself up about the fact that he had caused the accident which ultimately killed her. He would sometimes become a nervous wreck when he thought about it.

Blake grew very concerned for Jeremy. He knew that his friend must have been going through a lot of pain. He tried multiple times to get Jeremy to go to a grief counselor, but Jeremy would have none of it. Blake knew that his friend was trying to be stronger than he really was for the sake of others. Blake remembered the night that Jeremy first met Jamie, he was trying to deal with the fact that his father was diagnosed with cancer. Jeremy wouldn't admit it, but stargazing was his only way of thinking and making sense of all the bad things that happened in his life.

Although now, he stopped stargazing. Blake thought that it reminded Jeremy too much of Jamie, but he would sometimes hear Jeremy crying his eyes out in their dorm. He knew his friend was going through a tough time, but when Jeremy started talking like Jamie was there, Blake knew Jeremy must get help.

Jeremy would talk to Jamie, and people would think he was talking to himself, but he didn't care. They didn't know what he was going through. His conversations with Jamie when he was awake normally involved him talking to her and her moving an object to show that she understood. These conversations were starting to haunt Jeremy. He wished he could actually talk to Jamie and see her and not just in his dreams. Having Jamie around was starting to haunt him.

Then one day, Jamie stopped talking with Jeremy. She stopped moving objects and appearing in his dreams. She knew that Jeremy wouldn't move on until he thought that she moved on. She had come to realize that her being around made Jeremy stop living his life like he should. Jamie knew it would hurt him, but it shouldn't be as bad as when he found out that she was dead.

What Jamie didn’t know was how bad it did hurt Jeremy. Jeremy thought that she had started to blame him for her death and was angry at him for it. He then blamed himself even more for her death. He always apologized in his dreams almost like a broken record and Jamie always said that she forgave him. But now he was thinking that she only said that to make him feel better. He was more tortured not seeing her than knowing she was dead.

Blake had begun to notice that his friend was getting even worse. He could sometimes hear Jeremy cry himself to sleep. Jeremy would say Jamie name as if expecting an answer and then get violent and start to cry. Her death had really broken him and he needed help before he went insane. Blake tried once again to get Jeremy to see a grief counselor, and succeeded. Jeremy would spend about an hour a day with the counselor, which was one less hour he was haunted by knowing Jamie wasn’t there.

Jeremy started talking with the counselor, not knowing what to do or say. The patient doctor confidentiality wouldn’t make a difference to him. The doc would still think that Jeremy was crazy. So, Jeremy started at the beginning and then went on to how he was in love, then lost love, and then the hauntings. Knowing he would sound crazy, but having someone to talk to was actually comforting to him instead of feeling awkward like he had initially thought.
Then they started happening again; the dreams with Jamie. Jeremy was ecstatic that she was back and that he could talk to her again. Although these were different than before. Jamie was covered in shadows, soaking wet like she had just come out of a river, and looked deathly pale. Jeremy was afraid to touch her because she looked so different.

“Jamie,” he called to her.

“Jeremy, I’m so cold. Help me,” she told him.

“How, how can I help you? Tell me Jamie, anything.”

“Help me,” she whispered as she faded out of the room.

“Jamie!” Jeremy yelled before waking up back in his room. He looked at his clock, 1:37. He hoped that it was just all this talking with the grief counselor that was making him dream this way. But as the weeks went by, his dreams turned into nightmares. Jamie became more and more ghostly. An eerie blue glow formed around her and her body became translucent. She seemed so different than the Jamie he knew before the accident. And she always said phrases like, “I’m so cold here,” or “I need someone to be lonely with me,” or “Why did you leave me here by myself?” and the worst one was when she would say “You killed me,” in a heartbroken voice. The thing that always haunted Jeremy from those dreams was when she ended by saying “Help me," before walking away and disappearing.
Jeremy had got sick of this visits and had formulated a plan to rid himself of them.

Jamie had been watching Jeremy and realized how bad she had hurt him. But she had to make him grieve her properly and move on with his life. He seemed to be doing okay for the first week, but then he started getting worse again, almost terrified to even think of here or go to sleep. She would see him wake up in the middle of the night, wondering what had woken him. One night Jamie decided to break her plan and come to him in a dream, it was hurting both of them too much. She had to talk to him and see what was wrong.

"Jeremy," she called to him.

"Jamie?"

"Jeremy, I'm so glad I can talk to you!" She went forward to hug him, but he flinched away. "What's wrong?"

"What are you doing this for?"

"Doing what? I just wanted to see you again."

"You know what. Torturing me by asking for my help and make myself feel bad for killing you."

"I don't know what you are talking about. I haven't been in your dreams for a while."

"You’re just trying to trick me by looking like you used to without that ghostly pale skin and blue glow. Just don't torture me anymore than you already have. Just leave me."

"No. I don't want to see you hurt. I can't bear it."

"But it kills me knowing that you’re dead and I am the one who caused it. If I could bring you back to life I would, but. . . "

"You know I don't blame you at all."

"That's what you say. But I can't keep living with you being dead and me not." Jamie instantly knew what he was thinking. She didn't need to ask him, she could tell my his tone.

"Jeremy, don't do it. Please," She begged.

"It's too late. I am just a tortured soul in this body. Let me be with you." Then Jeremy pulled out a knife and stabbed himself in the heart with it. He felt a surge of pain rush through him as he collapsed to the floor.

"Jer-" Jamie shouted before Jeremy woke up. He threw on his jacket and some pants. He grabbed his keys and got into his car. He drove off in the night to the spot he had picked out earlier that day. He could hear the night creature calling as he stopped his car and got out. He started walking, making sure that this was the right call.

"Don't do this," he heard Jamie say as he was walking.

"It's too late to change my mind."

"But you don't need to do this. You can live a good life without me."

"No Jamie. I have been with a lot of girls and none of them made me feel like I do when I'm with you. You are my other half and I there is no possible way I could even breathe if I have to spend another day without you here with me." He stopped at the edge, looking down at the roaring rapids below. His heartbeat picked up, fearing what would happen next. He took a deep breathe then walked on air before falling.

He felt the air rushing around him as he plummeted. Jeremy then felt his feet his water before it engulfed him. His body tried to push him to the surface, but Jeremy wouldn't obey. His body quickly became dragged into rocks and other things by the current. He started to open his mouth, trying to make the process easier on himself. The current threw him around and he started to bleed. Finally, he closed his eyes and felt nothing anymore.

As he started to open his eyes again, he noticed that he was still underwater, but he wasn't being dragged by the current and he could see Jamie in front of him. "Jamie!" he yelled as he went over and crushed her in a hug.

"Jeremy," Jamie said pulling out of his hug. Jamie was heartbroken that Jeremy had killed himself just to be with her.

"Jamie. What's wrong?"

"You shouldn't have done that. You could have lived a great life. You didn't need me to be happy!"

"But this is the first time since you died that I have actually been happy. I can be with you. We can be together without having to worry about anything getting in our way."

"You thought that because you were alive and I wasn't that that was what was keeping us apart?! No, I knew that you had to move on with life, but you couldn't let go. You just would not accept that I wasn't physically there with you anymore."

"But-"

"No. You threw away your life all for me!" She started crying, "And you didn't need to. How do you think this makes me feel!? You killed yourself because of me! Remember how guilty you felt because you thought you killed me? Well now you are making me feel guilty. Why did you have to do that?!" He went over to and hugged her, trying to comfort her even though it was probably the last thing she wanted.

"Jamie, forget about that. What is done is done and there is nothing that we can do about it now. We can only live our ghost lives as we want to. Now can you please accept my forgiveness for being so stupid." She turned around, her face covered in her tears.

"It is going to take a lot more than that to make up for this." Jeremy than kissed trying to make her understand why he had done this. Even though it was obvious, she didn't want to accept the fact that he couldn't live without her. Jamie broke their kiss, "That makes up for it, but I am still mad at you." He laughed, knowing that she never could stay mad for very long. Suddenly a bright white light appeared in front of them, just like the one after the car accident.

"You thinking what I'm thinking?"

"Spend eternity together you mean?"

"Took the words right out of my mouth." They took each others hand and started to walk into the light, laughing just thinking about what was awaiting them. They disappeared into the light with smiles on their faces, each content with the future that awaited them.

Jeremy's body was found on the side of a river the next morning. He was identified later that day and proclaimed to have died by drowning. Jeremy's family organized a funeral service for the next Sunday. Blake, Zane, and the rest of Jeremy's friends attended along with his family. Blake knew that he had done this because of Jamie and missed his friend. Why did he have to throw away his life for a girl.

Jeremy on the other hand was happy in heaven. He and Jamie finally got married and were able to live the life they couldn't while on Earth. The couple could never have been happier. Each was in love with the other and had the best time people could have up in heaven. Their love was a kind of love that could light up the sky. A snowfall kind of love that anyone could find beautiful. Their love was the rarest kind. They had true love that would melt a heart in seconds. They were just like Romeo and Juliet, only more beautiful.