Unexpected Meeting | Teen Ink

Unexpected Meeting

By MusicalTypeWrite BRONZE, Topeka, Kansas
MusicalTypeWrite BRONZE, Topeka, Kansas

"If I Fall asleep with a pen in my hand don't remove it~ I might be writing in my dreams."~~Terri Guillemets.

-When I wake up this morning I hear my roommate yelling “V, I'm going to be late so you’ll have to make your own breakfast. Bye!” I moved to this small country to help support my friend/roommate Martha. She works full time at the store just down the street. I work full time writing.

-There is a knock at the door so I slowly climb out of bed. “Yes…”

-“Olivia!”

-I open my eyes and say “Mark!” My best friend from before I moved was standing right in front of me. “What brings you to this kingdom?”

-“Can I come in and tell you, V”

-“Ya sorry how rude of me.”

-“Well, I was invited to come and help the royal chef but I decided to visit you first, so here I am.” Mark is a chef and the best I know five star cooking for sure!

-“No way! I'm so proud of you!”

-“Well I’d better go so I'm not late I’ll be in town for a while so we need to hang out some time.”

-“For sure!” I’d better get ready now that I'm wide awake. After I get dressed and ready for the day I head out. “Man I have A Lot of shopping to do.” *sigh* I start my morning routine by grocery shopping. Martha and I are throwing a party tonight so I also need to get some flowers. I head to the flower shop to pick up the flowers when a man runs right into me and he spills his coffee all over me. “Great…”

-“Oh my, I am truly sorry.”
-I look up at his face and he is smiling and wearing sunglasses even though it’s dark out. “No don’t worry about it I should have been watching where I was going…” My favorite shirt ruined.
-“Allow me to pay for your clothing to be cleaned.” Who in their right minds talks that proper?
-“No it’s fine. They can't really be fixed.” It was wool. I start to walk off but he grabs my arm and I turn around to see him. “What the!”
-“Then allow me to take you to a party.” I try to release my arm from his grip but he takes off his sunglasses and looks seriously in my eyes. “Please…”
-Completely and unbelievably annoyed I say “Fine.” I think he means the party I’m throwing anyways.
-He lets go and says “Thank you!” He bows to me. He again grabs my arm and starts to drag me away from my house.
-“Wait!”
-He stops and turns around “What's the matter?”
-“I thought you said we were going to a party?”
-“We are…”
-“Well it’s that way.” I tore off one of my fliers with my free hand and use it to point the way to my house.
-He laughs “No, it’s this way.” He points with my hand towards the castle.
-“WHAT?!”

-He continued to drag me to the castle “I'm hardly dressed appropriately for the castle.” I continued to explain why I shouldn’t go. I quickly call Martha.

-“Where are you, V?!”

-“I’m really sorry I-I uh well…”

-“Well what?!”

-“I being brought to the castle. I dropped everything off at the flower shop so just grab those.”

-“Party canceled, go home, and post pone til farther notice.”

-“I'm sorry!”

-“Just try to get home so I can stop worrying.”

-“O.K. I’ll try. Bye.” I hang up and continue to follow the man behind the castle. We go in through the kitchen when a bunch of ladies come up.

-“Sir, where have you been?!” Sir?

-“Not important at this moment. May you please take her and get her prepared for the ball hair and make-up included.”

-He let’s go of my hand and practically passed me off to the women. When I hear a voice cry out from behind me “V?”

-“Mark!”

-“What are you doing here?”

-“Long story.”

-“No time to explain, Miss!” The ladies start to pull me up the stairs

-“Um bye, V.”

-“Good bye, Miss V.” I turn my head around and it was the man who brought me here.

-The ladies finished my hair and make-up and pulled out a pink dress. “Oh uh I don’t like pink.”

-“His highness picked it out.”

-“*sigh* Fine.”

-I put on the dress and it doesn’t look as pink as a pinkish white. “You look beautiful, Miss.”

-“Thank you.”

-I walk out of the room and the man from earlier is sitting waiting in a formal suit. “Oh, Miss V, you look lovely.”

-“Thanks but it’s just V you know short for Olivia.”

-“Oh I did not know, Miss Olivia.” I start to walk away when he comes running up to me “It would be a pleasure to escort you in, Olivia.”

-“The pleasure is all mine.” Did I say it polite enough that when we go in he will forget me? I hope so. “So uh you know me. Would mind my asking of who you are.”

-“Adam.” He smiles brightly. He looks my age now a little older if anything.

-“Nice to meet you, Adam.”

-“Do you like the dress I picked out for you? I know the maids probably forced onto you because of my position.”

-“Wait they said…” It all makes perfect sense now he’s the. “Your Highness, I am so extremely sorry for everything earlier.” He looks at me with sad eyes.

-He looks at the ground. I hear a small whisper “I was hoping you would not find out.” He looked at my forcing a smile. “What do you mean? You have done nothing to be sorry for.”

-“Well I mean I ran into you and my tone was harsh and~”

-“May I tell you a secret, Olivia?”

-“Of course.”

-“I wish that I may call you Olivia. Because I wish to be the only one that does.” He says it so sincerely.

-“Oh um you can call me whatever you wish.” Did I just say wish?
-“Splendid!”
-So he really wants to call me Olivia. We arrive at a door when a man says sharply. “Your Highness! You must go in alone this ball is to find a bride! Women will be discouraged if you go in with another woman!” He turns to me and studies my face. “Are you royalty of some sort?”
-“N~no sir I’m Olivia Peare.”
-“If you’re not royalty then why are you here?”
-“I invited her, Johnathan.”
-“I am so sorry. I can see that I must leave.” I let go of the Prince’s arm, curtsy, and head back to the original to change back into my normal cloths. But all the way back I feel a sad look following me matching the look on my face. As I try to think of everything I know about the Prince. He is heir to the thrown of a kingdom just bordering this kingdom, he’s 24 so a year older than me and has a little sister about 10 or so. Marta said it was normal for that big of an age difference.

-After I change back into my clothes I hear a voice in my head. “I was hoping you would not find out.” It was Prince Adam.
-“*Sigh* Why am I so caught by this?”
-I head out when another voice catches my ear. “V? V!”
-I turn around and see Mark running down the hall towards me. “Oh hey.”
-I shyly wave when he catches up to me. “You leavin’?”
-“Huh? Oh yeah. I started feeling sick so I left.” I laugh and rub my stomach hoping he won’t see through my lie.
-He gets in my face and says “You forgot your shoes.”
-“Huh?” I look at my feet and I'm barefoot. “Shoot!”
-“You sure you’re sick? Whenever you’re sick you’re loopy and can’t walk.” He studies my face and says “Let’s get your shoes, Cinderella.”
-“Hilarious.” I say sarcastically with an eye roll as I follow behind him “Why Cinderella?”
-“Well let’s see. You’re running away from a ball, a prince, you forgot your shoes, and not to mention look at the time.” I look at my smartphone and it says ‘11:45’
-“Oh…”
-“Here we are.”
-“Um how do you know where the room is?”
-“Well I saw you and the prince when you first came out.”
-“Why didn’t you say anything?”
-“It’s not my place.” He looks at me with cold eyes I’ve never seen before “V, we don’t belong here among royalty.”
-“I know.”
-“Then why? Why did you come here? With him?” He spits the words like venom.
-“I didn’t know.”
-He looks away hurt. What’s with him? “Get your shoes. I’ll take you home.” I nod and walk towards the room.
-When I enter the room I don’t see my shoes all I see is a note. “Weird…”
-The note is from Prince Adam “Dearest Olivia, I apologize for Johnathan. He was out of line. I came back to look for you but you were gone. I noticed your bag and shoes. I currently have them in my car but I am too busy to give them to you and I wish to do so in person. Give me a call tomorrow when you are free. Yours Truly, Adam.” He has such a pretty handwriting. Well I guess you need to when you’re a prince.
-“Where are your shoes?”
-“Oh they aren’t here. One of the maids found them and told me to call her when I can pick them up.” I shove the note with the number in my back pocket so he won’t see.
-“Ok well let’s go.”

-As we begin to walk out I hear a storm of feet then “Olivia!”
-Mark tries to pull me away from the sound but I turn my head. “Prince Adam?” He’s running from a horde of girls.
-He smiles brightly and continues to run towards me. Mark tries to pull me away but it doesn’t work, I don’t move an inch. Adam holds out a hand to me and for some reason I hold out my hand and grab his. “Olivia!” Mark shouts after me but I’m just retracing how it all got to this.
-“Um, Mark, I’ll uh call you when I get home.”
-“What! Olivia Shakes Peare!”
-“Sorry!”
-Mark slowly fades from my vision. Before I know it I’m in a taxi with Prince Adam driving to my place. “Is this where you live?”
-“Yes. Thank you for everything.” I’m trying to not give away the prince’s identity. I pay the driver, when I get out of the car I notice the prince is walking with me. “Um thanks but you don’t have to walk me to the door…”
-“Oh I knew I forgot something! Olivia, do you remember those women from earlier?”
-“Yes.”
-“Well they know where I live. So may I stay here for the night?”
-“I’ll need to check with my roommate first but~”
-“Splendid!”

-I unlock the door and creep in. “We need to be quite so~”
-“Olivia Peare. How dare you break your curfew!” We’re caught.
-“What took you so long! This isn’t like~” She notices the prince and I begin to twiddle my fingers. “And you went man shopping! I was worried sick about you!”
-The prince whispers to my ear “What in ‘Man shopping’?”
-“When you go out looking for men to date.”
-“Who is he anyways and why is he in our apartment?”
-“Both really great questions but I can't really tell you. I'm really sorry I promise I’ll tell you tomorrow!” Martha opens her mouth to yell some more when she’s cut off by a knock at the door. I signal the prince behind a counter where he can't be seen and Martha goes to. I try to look tired by messing up my hair. I grab my hand gun in case the person is armed. I slowly open the door and yawn. I weakly say “Hello?”
-“Yes, Miss Peare, may I come in?” It was that snotty guy from earlier Johnathan.
-“Of course.” I look behind the counter and I see Adam frightened of him. “What is it at this hour, Johnathan?”
-“Please call me John. And is the prince here?”
-“He is! Your Highness, its John.” Hesitantly the prince stands up to face John.
-“Yes, John? What is it that you need me?”
-“Your Highness, I think he came to get you to take you home.”
-“Miss Peare is right. You need to return to the palace.” John lets out a huge sigh. “Miss Peare, I hate to say this but you need to come to come as well.”
-I just stare in shock at John. What did he just say? Martha snaps me out of my shock by saying “She can't go she has work!”
-“Ya work.”
-“What do you do, Olivia.”
-“I write stories and poems.”
-“Sorry, Miss. But I believe you can ‘work’ at the palace.” Did he really just air quote work.
-“Yes! Olivia, we can supply you with plenty of paper for your writing!” I use my laptop…
-“Well that’s nice and all but~”
-“Miss Olivia, please understand the press are on their way. They have already seen the two of you together.” He looks at me softly yet stern “It wasn’t a question you’re coming to the palace.” He grabs my arm and I see Martha grab a bag she has been holding for a bit.
-“Here’s her stuff, John.”
-“Thank you…”
-“Martha!” I shout at her I thought she was on my side.
-“Thank you, Martha.” He looks at her with a smile.
-“Oh and here’s my number.” She giggles. And he happily takes it.
-I say “Oh, brother.” And Adam lets out a laugh. I look at him in shock. “Martha!” I grab onto the door frame. “Laptop, binder, clothes, cords, and pens?”
-“All of them plus make up!”
-“I don’t wear make up!”
-She looks so proud of herself “Too late!”

“So, Miss Olivia.” About an hour ago I was ripped away from my family, friends, and life. I look up at John who had been staring at the number this whole time. “What’s Martha
like?”
-“She’s cool. But if you don’t call her within a day she will cry her eyes out.”
-“Oh.” He smiles as he pulls out his phone and begins to type.
-I look back out the window and look at the night sky, I sigh. Adam says for the first time “Are you excited to come to the palace?” I shrug my shoulders I just want to go home to America. “How about a deal? You teach me to be a normal person and I teach you to be a princess.”
-I'm shocked. “Um… sure. Why not, but you aren’t teaching me to be a princess. I mean why would I need it as a commoner. Show me how you would greet someone.”
-He smiles brightly “Okay!” He straightens himself out and extends his hand. “Hello~”
-“I’m gonna stop you there. If you go up to any girl like that she’s gonna question your sanity.” I sit back in the corner and stretch my arms out in the car like guys in the bar. “This is what all guys do. But a lot of girls hate it. This is the stance of a player.”
-“A player?”
-I do a single nod and say, “I’ll teach you more on first impressions tomorrow. But why do you want to learn to be a commoner? I mean besides the fact that when I first met you my guess was that you were way too polite.”
-“May I answer that?” I nod in approval. “Prince Adam sticks out too much like you said, people could figure him out in no time if he’s the prince if he’s not careful.”
-“Good point. Well we have a deal I will teach you to be a normal 23 year old man.”
-“And I shall teach you to be a princess fit for a ball!”
-“No but I~.”
-John cut me off saying “We are at the palace. I suggest you both get plenty of sleep.” On the inside I'm dying. Why me.