We Were Not Strangers | Teen Ink

We Were Not Strangers

By heycallmemoriarty GOLD, King George, Virginia
heycallmemoriarty GOLD, King George, Virginia

"The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it." -Ernest Hemingway
"IZ UR BAND RDY? anoncer pls I waz born redy k." -bandgek
"I understand what you're saying, and your comments are valuable, but I'm gonna ignore your advice." -Roald Dahl

Author's note: I wrote this because I love music. A lot. I dedicate this piece to Mr. David Walton. You were a great trigonometry teacher, even if you weren't my teacher, you knew my name and always had a smile for me. You were really nice to everyone you met, and were a great influence on my life. I will miss you terribly. Rock on up there in heaven.

We looked at the crowd, and I stood up from behind my drum set, and walked around to bow with the rest of the band. Tanner grinned as we all linked hands together, and the crowd screamed. We ran off stage, and bounced off to our private—as in only us—room.

“That was amazing, guys.” Percy said, flopping down on the couch. “Kirby, that was B.A. drumming, girl.” He said as I tossed him a beer.

“Thanks, man,” I laughed, pulling off my neon orange beanie, and ran my fingers through my short, dark, and sweaty hair. I took a swig from the cold bottle, and sat down between Tanner and Rory. We sat in silence, reveling in the delight of our first New York Cityl gig. I heard a knock on the white door, and Kevin, our super awesome manager, popped his head in.

“Hey, guys! Great show. So proud of you guys. So the VIPs are itching to meet y’all, you’ve got ten minutes.” He reminded us, and closed the door, knowing we really wanted to have our last few minutes of sanity to ourselves. I sighed.

“Well, I guess we better change.” I said, standing up and walking over to where my after-the-show clothes were sitting. I pulled off my tank top, and pulled my favorite Monkees (they’re a super rad band—look ‘em up) shirt on, and replaced my athletic shorts with dark blue jean ones. I fixed the angle of my toe ring, and made sure my leather ankle bracelet was still secure.

“C’mon, guys, get up let’s go.” I grabbed clothes and threw them on the lazy trio—oh the joys of being the only girl among guys. You basically become their mother. I brushed my hair, and sprayed it with sea salt spray to make my natural curls more….obvious? And put a neon green and black beanie on…they’re my trademarks. I was even signed on with the requirement to wear ‘em. With groans, they stood up and in one minute they were ready to go—hey we all live together, so it’s all good.

I opened the door, mustering my energy to be energetic. I saw reporters, and led all of us as we walked down to the VIP room, and slipped into the crowded room.

Okay, think back to when you were a teenager and watched Wayne’s World and Wayne’s World Two. Remember the Alice Cooper VIP room? Yeah it’s like that, but crowded and full of people that really just want to say “So-and-so of such-and-such band breathed on me” or something like that. So the second you get there, you’re mobbed. Not that it’s not groovy that people want to talk to you and stuff, but it can get annoying when you really just want to get through the crowd without all these people touching you. And maybe have some food. Food is good. I like food. So does Tanner. And Percy. And Rory. Okay, we of The Strangers like food. I think Kevin doesn’t like food. We’re always inviting him to dinner, and he is forever saying no. Not that I can blame him. He’s so busy running us around and making sure that we get our sh*t together I’m surprised he doesn’t have a breakdown or his wife doesn’t divorce him.

Anway, when I finally got to the bar and grabbed a cheeseburger—those guys always seem to know I love cheeseburgers. Yum. I bit into it, and tried to not swoon over the yumminess. After eight hours of not eating, this food tasted amazing.

“Kirby?” I heard a shocked female voice, and I spun around to see someone I did not recognize.

“Hi, can I help you?” I asked, smiling as I…regrettably…put my cheeseburger down on the plate. She held out a copy of a cd.

“Can you sign this please? My boyfriend really wants you to sign it.” She said, grinning.

“Of course.” I pulled out the black Sharpie from my back pocket, and scribbled my signature across the front of This Time It’s Ours. I handed it back to her, and she looked at it like it was worth a million bucks.

“And…if it’s not too much of a problem, can you sign my shirt?” She held out the hem of her white t-shirt.

“Yeah, sure!” I said, signing the back of her upper left shoulder. If she could have smiled any wider, her face might have split, let me tell you. She hopped up and down.

“Thank you!!” She bubbled, and bounced away into the crowd. I picked up my cheeseburger again, and took another bite.

After a few hours, I was finally able to disappear from the crowd. I met the guys out in our private room, and we walked out to our truck, me in the driver’s seat. Luckily, no one recognized us—or our vehicle—as we pulled into our hotel and checked in. I fell on my bed, and after a few minutes, the guys walked in and landed on top of me. We are all exhausted, and very ready for showers…but we don’t have the energy…ugh. This is sooo hard.

We never made it to the shower part. We fell asleep and didn’t wake up. One giant pile of people asleep on top of each other.

It’s not strange for us all to sleep like that. My bed has always been the go-to for talking and team powwows wherever we go. It’s like our safety net. So when the alarm on my phone went off, singing Saturday’s Child we all groaned. Entirely too early.

“HEY, Tanner, get off me. Or turn off my phone. It’s in my back pocket.” I groaned as Kevin opened my door.

“Good morning, everyone! Time to get up! You’ve got an interview at ten, and it’s eight now!” Kevin clapped his hands.

“Oi, Kevin. Hush. Please! It’s eight! We’re trying to sleep!” Percy muttered, throwing a pillow at Kevin, who caught it with a well-practiced lunge. I groaned, my lungs being crushed.

“Okay, guys, you gotta get up, I can’t breathe.” I said, starting to shove the bodies off of me. I crawled to the end of my bed, and sat up, running my hand through my hair, and grabbing my plastic bag of shower stuff.

I turned on the hot water, and felt the sweat and energy from last night washing off of me, and lathered the shampoo into my hair, and hear someone--probably Percy-- walk in to brush his teeth. I heard Rory turn on my iPhone to our “Pumped Up” playlist, and they started to sing along to “You Give Love A Bad Name” very loudly, the sound traveling through the open door and into the shower.

“Hey, Rory! Maybe you should stick to singing in the shower?” I yelled, laughing. Rory’s our lead singer, and really bad a** at it.

“No, love, that’s you.” Rory said, and we all laughed. I am the drummer for a reason. For someone in a band, I really can’t sing. It’s quite embarrassing, to be honest. But it’s hilarious.

“Oi, Tanner, hand me a towel pleeeaasseee??” I asked, turning the water off.

“Of course, Darling, anything for you. What would you do without me?” He handed me the white fluffy towel through the curtain.

“Gee, I don’t know. Maybe I’d be able to lay my towel over the bar and grab it. Please close the door on your way out?” I asked, and he laughed as he shut the door so I could get dressed. We all shower like that, we’re just not embarrassed or anything, so this isn’t a strange occurrence. I sprayed more sea salt spray in my hair (what would I not do without it…) and sat on my bed.

“Hey there Delilah…” I heard Rory singing as the water started, and we all started laughing.

“A’right guys I’m going down to eat food.” I laughed, walking to the elevator--beanieless (shocker!). I pressed the down button, and I heard someone behind me.

“Kirby Lewis?” I turned around.

“Oh, hey,” I looked at the guy with faint recognition. Oh, right. I remember. “Harvey! I didn’t know you were here!” I exclaimed as I hugged him. Wow. It’s been years since I saw this dude! He still is taller than me, and still smells like the good type of Axe. “It’s been so long!” I said as we walked into the elevator. “Going to the first floor?” I asked as I hit the button.

“Yeah, gotta get breakfast for my daughter before she wakes up.” He answered, and I noticed he didn’t wear a wedding ring. He and I hadn’t known each other very well in high school, he’d been in a different circle whilst I blended with them all...but mostly the band people.

“You have a daughter? What’s her name?” I asked as we walked to the breakfast bar.

“Cadence. She’s six.” I heard the smile in his voice.

“That’s awesome!” I grabbed a plate, and immediately put a powdered sugar doughnut on it. One of my favorite foods.

“You still eat those?” He laughed, grabbing a chocolate covered one.

“Of course! Remember that one time…” I cut off.

“Remember what?” He asked, laughter in his voice.

“Once I got five of the mini doughnuts in my mouth at once at a marching band trip. I wasn’t allowed to have them the rest of the trip, my fellow drum major wouldn’t let me.” I said, feeling weird. Did I mention he wasn’t in band? And that I have lots of marching band stories? Most of my high school adventures consist of being in band. It’s slightly awkward.

“That’s hilarious! Did you choke?”

“No, but I needed about ten thousand gallons of water to get it all down.” I answered, the coffee machine rumbled.

“By the way, I went to your concert last night. It was bad a**” He commented, grabbing bacon.

“Baccooonnn eeewweee.” I teased, pretending to shrink away from it.

“What, you don’t like bacon?” He held up a piece menacingly.

“Noooooo it’s so salty! I don’t understand the hype when we were teenagers.” I said, grabbing a piece of sausage and drenching it in syrup. Apparently my diet is not in for today. Eh, whatever.

“You nerd.” He laughed, and I playfully slapped him.

“But really, thanks for going. And thanks for thinking so. We really appreciate it.” I cut in through the silence.

“It’s was great, and I know Cadence loved it.” He answered, pouring milk into a bowl of fruit loops.

“You want help with that?” I asked, taking the bowl from him.
“Thanks, I knew I could count on you” He grinned.

“Will we wake anyone up?” I asked as we reached his door.

“Oh no, Cadence is probably up by now, and she knows where I went.” He answered. No wife? He’d dated Maria all through high school, and last I had heard he’d been married. He unlocked the room, and he was immediately attacked by a little girl in horse pj’s.

“Daddy, Daddy!” She squealed, and I smiled.

“Hey, Cad. I brought a special someone with us. This is Kirby, remember her from the concert last night? She is the drummer.” She couldn’t have grinned wider.

“Hi, Kirby!” She squealed as I put the fruit loops down on the table by the tv.

“Hey, girly! How are you?” I asked, smiling.

“I’m great! How did you know I love Fruit Loops?” She said, getting the bowl.

“Well, your daddy told me!” I answered, smiling. “I have to go now, but it was nice meeting you!” I said, closing the door.

“Hey, Kirby!” I heard as Harvey walked out of the room, his light green eyes sparkly against his dirty blonde hair. “Can I get your phone number? I’d love to catch up.” He asked, and I grinned.
“Of course!” I said, entering my phone number in the flip phone. I smiled, and began my barefoot walk down to my room. I heard yelling, and Tanner ran out, followed by the other two hooligans, who picked me up, and carried me to the room...remembering to get stuck in the doorway. Oh them and their shenanigans.

A few hours later, and after a bunch of traffic, I sat on the couch of the New York City News and across from Anna, the interviewer with blonde hair and a red dress. She was pretty, I will admit.

“Annnddd rolling.” the camera dude said, and she turned to me with her made-for-tv smile.

“Hello, and welcome back to Celebrity News. We’re here with Kirby Lewis, the twenty-four year-old drummer of The Strangers, a new hit rock band with classic rock influences. So Kirby, what made you decide to band with three guys, making you the only girl?”

I breathed in, what a stupid question.

‘Well there’s no thought process to that, I mean come on, we’re friends, and when the drummer before me left, they asked me if I could fill in, and it stuck. I’ve been in the band ever since.” I said, looking at her.

“How do you deal with the being on tour? It must be soooo stressful”

“Well it is, but I’ve got great friends, great people to help me get from point A to B, and amazing fans that make being on tour worth it.” I answered.

“That’s great! Speaking of which, tell us about the beanies. You’re never seen without one on your head!” She said, smiling and looking at me. Eeek.

“I love them. The day that Joey ‘discovered’ us practicing in the recording studio I was wearing this bright purple one, and when we were signing they wrote in the contract that wearing one is part of it, which is totally cool, and if I ever wanna stop wearing them, I can. And everyone seems really into it and find it really rad. I’ve gotten hundreds sent into me from tons of people.”

“Oh really? Do you have an favorites?”

“My favorite...huh that’s a difficult question. Although I pretty much always wear this one TARDIS one, I watch Doctor Who, that this guy named Adam sent me,” I pointed at the tv “Adam, you sir, are AWESOME.” I said, smiling. “I love everything that gets sent to me,” I added, and she made a surprised face.

“How do you remember all the names? That must be difficult.”

“I have the name of the sender written in it and I always read it before I wear it. This one that I’m wearing now” I tugged on the heather grey beanie. “Was given to me by Aurora Parker, of Anchorage, Alaska” I said, “Thanks Aurora, I love it!” I said, smiling.

“That’s very interesting that you know so much about your fans!”

“They’re the ones that support us. They’re the ones that go ‘Oh hey you’re cool I’m gonna listen to your music and fangirl all the time’ and stuff you really can’t not love your fans! and they’re so cool anyway.” I said.

“Well, that’s all we have time for today, thanks for coming in, Kirby and the rest of the guys! Good luck at your show next week in Boston!” She said, and the camera rolled to ads. I stood up, and very soon we were walking out the building, and walking into the nearest t-shirt store. No adventure to New York City is complete without souvenirs, right?

We walked out of the store with t-shirts and hoodies...and of course I got a beanie and a hoodie to match the rest of the guys. I heart NY? Totally. We headed back to the hotel, and saw that our friends the staff had already started to load gear and stuff...eep. I grabbed my bookbag from the stack of gear, and slung it over my shoulder. I love this bookbag it goes basically everywhere with me, it’s one of those big Jansport ones and it’s teal. And I have all kinds of stuff in it. Laptop, notebooks so I can write, tons of pens, makeup, books, and my camera. My wonderful camera, I try to take it everywhere and take pictures of where we went and what we were doing. We climbed into the truck, Tanner driving this time, and me in the passenger seat, and headed off on our driving adventure to where, Boston? Yeah Boston.

And it’s love youu bring, no that I can’t deny….

I slid my phone open to read the text from Harvey. It was a picture of Him and Cadence at the Statue of Liberty.

We’re at the Statue of Liberty! it said, and I grinned stupidly at the screen. He’s super cute.

Awesome! Are you guys having fun?? I texted back, and I heard Percy move forward to lean over my shoulder.

“Who are we texting?” He asked, trying to reach his long arm to grab my phone.

“Hey!” I laughed, pulling it forward, and he sat back.

‘Who do we hafta threaten?” Rory teased, and I grinned and turned red.

“Oooh is he cute?” Percy actually managed to grab my phone! He typed in the password, and scrolled through. “He is definitely your type, my friend. But is he married?” He asked, noticing Cadence. “Huh, no. He’s not wearing a ring. Maybe he just doesn’t wear rings? Hmm. Lemme ask.”

“No!” I said, as I lunged backwards to get my phone.

“Too late! I did say it was me, you know.” He notified me as I frantically retrieved my phone and put it on the dashboard of the truck to save it from the evil Percy and Rory. I heard Rory’s phone go off, and guessed who it was. Mine also went off, and I snatched it.

Lol no I don’t, Percy. It’s just me and Cadence. He answered, and I internally smiled.

“Ooooohh no he doesn’t he?” Percy grinned, playfully slapping my shoulder.

“Nope,” I answered, putting my phone back on the dash.

“Hey, Babe! How are you?” Rory answered Perri, his bitchy yet stunning girlfriend. She’s okay. We put up with her. She’s a model for Victoria’s Secret, but not one of the angels. They met in high school, and started dating a few years ago, and then she’d gotten signed to them and she’d really changed. I’d never liked her much...but when she was boosted and started to make more money and more guys started coming around...of course Rory knew what she was up to, but he really just couldn’t bring himself to break up with her. Maybe one day she’ll do something really stupid and he’ll come to his senses.

As he continued his conversation with his girl, I heard Percy answer Anna, his girlfriend who I absolutely loooovee to death. She’d graduated the year before me, and we’d been in the same section in band--the French Horn. She’s tall, thin, blonde, and a super amazing person. She’s one of my favoritest people and teaches fifth graders. Like Rory and Perri, they’d been dating since high school. I totally ship it. They’re both laid back and really really wonderful people. This is a secret so don’t tell anyone, but Percy is planning on proposing to Anna the next time he sees her.

Well, while we’re on the subject, let me tell you about Tanner’s girl, Samantha. She’s got long blonde hair that she loved to flat iron or braid, and it’s great. They started dating a few months ago, they’d met at Tanner’s brother’s wedding and had hit it off instantly. He’s also laid back, and really funny, and when they’d met, he’d walked into her--literally, and they’d both been cracking jokes about it ever since.

In a few hours, we were on the highway to Boston, and I, as the music chooser, had plugged Van Halen into the speakers of the bright blue Ford F-150. We were jamming out, let me tell you. There’s something about Van Halen on the highway that is just so freeing.

The green of summer passed us, and I pulled out my camera. I spotted a horse grazing in the far field, and snapped it. We turned off of the main road, and I took a picture of the empty rural road in front of us, and looked at it. The colors were lush and green, and the road was dark and full of the typical Massachusetts potholes.

We got the the stage in the early evening. Tanner’d barely gotten the truck in park when Percy jumped out of the truck. Who the heck knows where he’s going! He’s very spontaneous, it’s hilarious.

“Incoming!” He yelled as he turned and tackled Tanner, who fell to the ground and they began wrestling. Rory and I stood on the sideline, laughing our butts off as Kevin sighed and shook his head.

“Boys, come on, we’ve got to get a practice in before you get to the hotel,” Tanner and Percy stood up and shook hands.

“Good match, Torrens” Tanner said to Percy.

“Nice one to you, Adler.” Percy said back, and we all put our arms across our shoulders as we walked onto the stage, totally ready to get set up and perform. I waved at Mike, one of the greatest setter-uppers ever on the job, and a great friend. Rory and Tanner grabbed their guitars, Percy turned his keyboard on, and I sat behind my drumset, feeling at home.

“Alright, let’s just run like we did yesterday,” Rory said, and I tapped off the rhythm to Anyone But You and felt the power of the music begin to flow through my veins, and lost myself in the magic.

“That was amazing.” I said as we pulled out of the parking lot, the night life swirling around us, and I sped up to the speed limit, and I saw Percy stick his hand out into the warm summer air, and Rory did the same on the other side, both of them keeping their hands from the passing cars as I wound through the crazy drivers and traffic patterns.

There were people all around our hotel, I guess people had found out we were staying there, and wanted to get some pictures and autographs. Hey, cool with me! I don’t mind I guess. I pulled into a parking space, and we climbed out, grabbed our gear, and began to wave at everyone, our smiled tired.

“Hey! Kirby! Can you sign this?” I heard, and I began to sign my name and take selfies as we began to push our way to the door. We checked in, and grabbed our hotel keys.

“Race you to the elevator!” I yelled as we ran to the elevator doors. I lost. Okay, I came in second place. Oops. We raced down to our rooms, this time I won--my room is the closest. heehee, lucky me. I closed the door to my room, and opened my iPhone, and finally got to look at the new photo that Harvey sent me.

Cadence and I went to the Top of the Rock today. It was so much fun! Cadence was pinching the Empire State Building up in her tiny six-year old fingers.

That’s so cute! Are y’all having a great time? I texted back.

It’s awesome. She’s racked out now. We’re leaving tomorrow to go back to King George, her first day of school is in a few weeks.

That’s great! She’ll be in first grade, right?

Yeah. She’s so smart! She’s gonna be tested for the gifted program. Hopefully she’ll get in.

Of course she will! I remember you and Maria in class. She’s gonna be the next Einstein.

Yeah…

What’s wrong?

Maria...you know. We’re not together.

Do you want to talk about it? I asked, not sure what I’d get. I sat on the bed, and tried to not stress.

We got married, and two months later, she got pregnant, and she was angry. She was so angry. It’s like suddenly the real world happened, and she’d decided she didn’t want it. So one week after Cadence was born, she disappeared. I have no idea where she is. The last time I heard from her, it was the divorce, and she’d shacked up with a biker in Massachusetts. I haven’t heard a whisper of her since. He revealed, and my heart hurt for him.

I am so sorry. I didn’t know. That’s insane. You’re such a nice person, and Cadence is such a great little girl.

Yeah. So tell me about you! I haven’t heard from you in so long, and hell you’re famous. Dated anyone famous? Been bad? What and who has Kirby Lewis been doing these last years? I giggled, remembering the sass that Harvey always had.

Pfft. Kirby hasn’t dated anyone famous. Heck...she hasn’t dated anyone in a very long time. Nah she’s been good. She’s just been marching along to her own drumbeat. I punned, and flopped back on my bed, and closed my eyes, putting my phone on my chest.

That’s pretty lonely, friend. He answered, and I sighed.

Yeah. It is. Especially when the guys all have girls. I walked into the bathroom, and turned on the water to get a shower. I felt the water slid through my hair and down my back, and looked at my phone again.

Well heck, I’m sure that there are multiple guys that would kill to date you.

I haven’t found any I want to date...and I haven’t found anyone that I want to date that wants to date me. So it’s a win-lose situation.

Maybe you could sign up for online dating!

Nah, it’s all good I’ll just be that crazy horse lady.

You are into horses, I forgot that. You wrote that horse novel, right? It got published?

Oh god, you remember that?! Yeah I did. It was a very close to my heart story. I almost died when it got published, even though it was merely online, it still makes me freak out to think about that. I don’t know. Yeah. Eep. I confessed, remembering to that one story I wrote and got published online. It had really freaked me out, and I know that somewhere, people were reading my ramblings.

That’s cute. Cadence loves horses. She actually started taking lessons a few months ago and she loves it to death.

What style does she ride??

She rides western. It’s pretty great. She wants to start showing next spring and Amanda, her trainer, thinks it’s completely possible.

She’s gonna be so kick-butt at it. I should go watch her ride! When she starts showing I will go watch her first show if you want.

She would absolutely love that. I will definitely let you know. Can we talk tomorrow? It’s eleven, you know. I pulled my favorite giant Monkees t-shirt on, and climbed under the blankets, and plugged in my phone.

Sure, I’d love to.Talk to you tomorrow.
Cool :) Night, Cutie. I almost dropped my phone in the water, and grinned that “OMG someone just called me cute” grin everyone has.

I woke up, and checked my phone. One new photo. Of two super great people.

Flying home! Cadence was grinning next to her dad, who was miniaturized by the JFK sign.

Have a safe flight! I took a selfie and sent it, allowing them to see the “just woke up” Kirby. Totes hilarious, I’ll have to send you one.

You’re so cute. He responded, and I felt my chest get warm and I tried to breath through my giggles.

Why thank you, kind sir. You are not so bad yourself :) I responded, suddenly awake and sitting up on the big hotel bed.

Eek gotta go, the flight is boarding. He responded, and I grinned. There was a pounding on my door.

“Aye, Kirby! Open ze door!” Tanner yelled through, and I ran to the door, and peeked outside.

“No, sorry sir, I don’t want any bananas today.” I teased, and Tanner laughed as I opened the door to let him in. He skipped (oh yeah he skips) and jumped onto my bed. He was still, facedown on the pillow, and I pounced on him, and began to tickle him.

“Hey, hey, hey! No fair!” He rolled over onto me, and began to tickle my sides, and I squealed in laughter, and I heard Rory and Percy, hearing our laughter come running in to join in on the fun.

We bounded down to the breakfast room, and i grabbed a doughnut, flavored water, and a piece of sausage. We headed back up to my room, and sat on my bed to eat.

“Tanner, that’s an amazing amount of food.” I commented as he shoved a forkful of eggs into his mouth as I stole a bite of pancake.

“Oi, no fair!” Tanner said, “You and your not eating food. I can’t bring myself to steal food from you.” he added.

“You eat so little that not even a bird could be happy with what you eat.” Percy teased, nudging me.

“She eats so little that if she was murdered after eating dinner the autopsy would say she hadn’t eaten food ever.” Rory added, and I sighed.

“So, heard anything from that guy Harvey?” Tanner asked after a few minutes of silence.

“Uh, yeah, I did.” I answered, running my fingers through my hair and nodding.

“Aaaaaaayyyyeeeee what’d he say?” Rory teased, leaning into me.

“What nothing that would mean anything to you guys.” I said, turning red.

“Ooooh she’s got a crush!” Percy laughed, and I sighed quietly.

“Okay, maybe.” I said, standing up on my bed and walking off to get dressed. I grabbed a U2 shirt, dark blue skinny jeans, and a light green beanie.
“Alright, guys. Go get dressed, you nerds.” I said, pushing them out to their rooms, and closed the door to mine. I turned into a giggling mess. Nope. No regrets.

We walked onto the stage, and I heard the cheers of the crowd, and I ran over to my drumset. “Hello, Boston!” Rory yelled into the microphone, and the crowd yelled back. He cued me, and I hit the drums, and we were off.

The energy on the stage drove us wild. Rory was dancing all over the stage, and Tanner was going crazy on the guitar. Percy was killing the keyboard, and dang was I having fun. Sweat was dripping on the stage, and I was glad that I didn’t have heavy makeup on. My face would have been breaking out like a criminal from jail.

“Thank you, Boston!” Rory yelled into the mike, and the crowd cheered back. We ran off of the stage, and into our private room. I closed my eyes, exhausted.

I groaned as Tanner lay across us, his butt landing on my stomach.

“Tanner, you weigh a million pounds.” I said weakly. My phone went off on the table next to Percy, and I looked at the glowing screen.

Hey you, how’d the concert go? Harvey asked, and I smiled.

It was great. I loved it. I’m so tired though. I texted back, and Percy leaned over to read it.

“You two, You’re cute. Ask him out!” Percy said.

“Hahahahaha no. Definitely not.” I answered, “That would be weird.” I said as Tanner rolled off of us and grabbed a water for each of us. We were silent, just reveling in the amazing performance that we had just given. Kevin walked in.

“Hey guys, great performance!” He was followed by a woman. Oh god, a reporter. Can we not? “Brenda would like to ask a few questions. Is that okay?” She sat down in the chair across from us.

“Hey, guys! You all did amazingly,” she gushed, and we stared at her.

Talk to you in a few hours, gotta do the after concert thing. I texted, and put my phone in my shirt.

“Thanks.” Rory said finally.

“So, I just have a few questions.I’d like to start with Rory.”

“Okay, shoot.” He answered. She stood up, and smiled an evil, sick smile. OH F*CK. She pulled out a knife, and lunged at Rory.

I threw myself at her, and caught her in the stomach just in time. I shoved her onto the ground, and sat on her chest, while Percy and Tanner held her arms down, and Rory ran out into the hall.

“Kevin!” He yelled, and Kevin ran in, a security guard with him. We don’t ever yell for him unless it’s an emergency.

“Oh goodness. Okay, let’s see. Officer Pane, can you take care of her?” He asked, going pale.

“Yes, sir, I certainly will.” He flipped her over, and snapped a pair of handcuffs onto her in...oh three seconds.

“Thank you so much.” I asked, smiling at the officer, thank God for police officers. She was taken away, and we all sat back down, still riding the adrenaline rush.

“That was crazy. She was totally going for you, Rory.” I said, taking a deep breath and intertwining my fingers with his.

“That. Was. Very scary.” He said, still pale and staring at a wall.

“You doing okay?” I asked him, taking his phone from him. I know who he needs.

“Uh, yeah, I’m great, what is this?” He asked as I handed him the dialing phone.

“What do you want? I’m in the middle of a party right now, Rory.” Perri snapped through the phone. Oh yeah I am responsible for that phone call, even if we all do hate her. I saw the hurt on his face, and tried to conceal my anger.

“Uh, A woman just tried to stab me. And I wanted to talk to you, I guess.” He stammered, and I heard more voices in the background of Perri’s end.

“Hey, babe, get off the phone.” I heard, and I took a deep breath. Oh lord. No. Not now.

“Perri, We’re done.” Rory said, tapped the phone call off, and I say him start to cry. She dialed back, and I answered for him.

“Listen, A**hole, if you think you can just break up with me because of some b*itch trying to kill you, you have another thing coming!” She yelled at my ear.

“Excuse you, B*tch.” I began. “You think he didn’t just hear whoever said that? You think he has to put up with you? YOU have another thing coming. None of us like you, and oh yes, we do know about you cheating on him. You two are done. As in over. As in not together anymore, got it? Good.” I growled in the phone, and heard the silence. “You are one of the most self-centered, b****iest people I have ever had the displeasure of knowing, and your teeth need some work, I am shocked that Victoria’s Secret hired your a**, although you probably screwed the judges and interviewers. Bye, B*tch.” I hung up, and the guys started laughing.

“Wow, Kirby. That was some sass! Good job!” Tanner said, and Percy nudged me, smiling.

“Thanks, Kirb.” Rory said, slinging an arm around me in a hug. I could feel the sadness radiating off of him. When all those years get flushed down the drain, especially so suddenly, that hurts. A lot.

“I’m sorry, Roar.” I said, leaning into him. I really do feel bad for him. Poor guy. At least it happened, though. I’m glad he’s away from her.

“Hey, guys. It’s time to go meet VIPs.” Kevin peaked his head around the door.

“Okay, cool.” Rory smiled, shoving his feelings in a box inside of himself. We filed out of the room, and stopped before the closest door to the stage. I slipped my hand into Rory’s, and squeezed it.

“It’ll be okay.” I encouraged him, and let go. I felt my phone vibrate in the back pocket of my shorts, and I hoped it to be Harvey.

I pulled it out of my pocket, and looked at the message.

Have a good time? Harvey’s message read, and I smiled at the fact that he’s reading the tour schedule.

Yeah, I’ll make a valiant attempt to haha I answered, and walked into the VIP room, plastering a smile to my face. Rory kept a grip on my hand, and I knew it was because he was going to fall apart if I didn’t stay with him.

I sat on my bed, reading Persuasion by Jane Austen. Definitely my favorite story ever. My Wentworth is out there somewhere... I heard a knock on the door, and I heard the key slid out as Rory walked in, and flopped on my bed.

“She’s gone.” He said, and I saw his eyes well up with tears.

“Hey, it’ll be okay.” I said as he slid up to lean against the headboard with me. I brought my arm around him, and he leaned into me.
“I almost died, and she didn’t even care.” He buried his face in my shoulder, his arm going around my side. Yeah, this is a pretty awkward angle, I will admit. I ran my fingers over his arm as he managed to shift into crying into my stomach. His ragged sobs shook his body. If you’ve never seen a grown man cry, it is heart breaking, let me tell you.

I heard his sobs quiet, and his breathing steady, and I knew he was asleep. I reached over, and tugged the lamp off, and put my arms around him, and fell asleep.

I was running. Off stage? Yeah, off stage. Huh that’s weird. It was urgent, apparently. The show had literally just ended. The guys and I weren’t all bouncing off to the VIP room. I grabbed my phone. I appeared at the hospital.

“I am here to see my husband.” I said to the nurse, and nope that did it.

I opened my eyes, my heart pounding. Husband?

Rory was still asleep, his head on my stomach, and my arms around him. I looked over at the clock. One am. Ugh. I’ve only been asleep for what...an hour? What a dream. I leaned back on the pillow again, and allowed sleep to drag me back to the depths.

The sun shone through the window of the hotel room, and I woke up. Rory was still passed out on me, but he’d been awake recently, the wet marks of tears aren’t mine. I took a breath, and checked my phone. ten am. Apparently there’s nothing going on today. I gingerly grabbed my phone, moving the flowery covers off of me slightly, and brought the iPhone to me.

I saw a selfie of Cadence, grinning in her pajamas while eating a bowl of Fruit Loops.

Hi Kirby! it said, and I grinned. I raised my phone, and snapped a selfie--sans Rory of course. Don’t wanna give the child any ideas. Or Harvey, for that matter.

Hey, Cadence! How’re you? How’s the Loops? I typed, and hit send, turning the volume off so Rory wouldn’t wake up. The screen light up a few seconds later.

All gone! They were yummy. I am good! I think I get to ride today!

That’s exciting! I hope you have a lot of fun! You’ll do great :)

Thanks okay daddy said I have to go and get ready bye!

Have a great day, honey! I responded, and put my phone back on my chest. Bleh.

I opened facebook, and signed into my personal account that only my friends and family know about.

Having great adventures across the Boston show! Interesting events. Fun though! Dalli Renegade posted.

Goodbye, Mr. Walton. You were an awesome math teacher, and a great person. You’ll be missed dearly. I saw the Facebook status on my newsfeed. Oh goodness. Mr. Walton was a really cool guy. He taught trigonometry (it’s not as bad as it sounds) and was a really nice guy. I am sorry that he’s gone.

Is there a funeral date? I commented on Jenni’s status, and locked my phone just as I felt Rory take a deep breath in, and saw him open his eyes.

“Hey,” He said, getting up on his hands around me.

“Hey you,” I answered, putting my iPhone down. He shifted to lay next to me on his stomach, his right arm across my stomach. He leaned into me, and bit my shoulder.

“Hey now.” I laughed, and I heard a knock on the door. “One minute!” I yelled, jumping up and running to the door.

“Ahhhhhhh we’re gonna get you!” Tanner and Percy tackled me, picking my up and throwing me on the bed and Rory. My phone rang. Harvey.

“Hey, what’s up?” I asked, laughter in my voice.

“Hi, is this Kirby Lewis?” An unfamiliar voice said into my ear.

“Yes, I am. Who is this?” I asked, sitting up and glaring at the guys to get them to shut up.
“I am Jeremy Govan, a paramedic with the King George Emergency Services. We have just pulled Harvey Miller and his daughter Cadence from a vehicle accident along route 301, and are in an ambulance on the way to the hospital. His phone indicates that you are an Emergency contact. Is there anything we need to know as we admit them? Both are unconscious.”

Oh. My. God. Uh. No. No. No. Not Harvey. Not Cadence. No. No. No.

“Okay. Cadence is six. I do not believe she has had any medical issues. Harvey does not. What hospital are you going to? I anticipate being there in a few hours.” I said, pulling new clothes on. “What happened?” I asked.

“DeWash Hosptial, in Fredericksburg, Virginia.” He answered, and I heard sirens. “A drunk driver in a tractor trailer hit them.”

“Who are you with now?” I asked, and grabbed my bookbag, slinging it over my shoulder. “Is the driver alive?”

“Harvey.” he answered. “Yes, the driver is alive and on the way to the hospital in another ambulance.”

“Okay. I am on my way, and will be there in a few hours.” I said, and ran out of the room, barefoot. The keys to our blue truck jingling in my hand. “If Harvey wakes up while I am not there, tell him I am on my way.” I said, and hung up.

“Kirby, what’s going on?” Tanner yelled after me.

“Harvey’s been in an accident. Both of them are unconscious. I am leaving now.” I said, running down the stairs. “Don’t know when I’ll be back. Please tell the guys and Kevin. Going to Fredericksburg.” I said, running out the door and to the truck. I don’t have a lot of time.
I gunned the engine, and sped off to my friend and his daughter.

I parked in the parking garage, and walked into the Emergency/Trauma Building, my bare feet against the cold tile. The front desk. There you are.

“Hi, I am here for patients that were brought in a few hours ago. Harvey and Cadence Miller.” I said. The woman in purple scrubs typed into the computer.

“Okay, the security guard will bring you on back, Ms. Lewis.” She said, obviously recognizing me.

“Thank you.” I smiled, and followed the man back to the rooms.

Harvey was not awake. Nor was Cadence. I sat down in the double room, and read the vital signs on the machines. Did I mention I worked for a doctor for a few years when I was in high school and college? I did. Yeah.

I slipped my hand into Harvey’s, and looked at his battered face. There were scrapes and cuts all over, and his leg was in a cast. Cadence wasn’t much better. Her arms were both casted.

“Harvey, wake up please.” I said, bringing his hand to my lips. “Wake up, I need you.” I whispered as my voice cracked and tears fell down my face. “Don’t you dare die on me.” I said. I heard a knock on the wall, and took a deep breath. I looked up as the doctor peaked his head around the corner, a police officer following. I stood up.

“Hi, my name is Doctor Babcock,” the young, blonde doctor said, shaking my hand.

“Kirby Lewis. How are they doing?”

“They’ve been through a lot of trauma. It was a head-on collision of a drunk driver with a tractor trailer.” She said. I hope I don’t see that driver. I may punch him. “We hope that they will wake up in a few hours.” She said.

“My name is Officer Reynolds, with the King George County Sheriff’s Office. May I ask you a few questions?” He asked, and I nodded.

“Why were they on the road?” He asked, and I took a breath, trying to think back to this morning.

“They were going to Cadence’s” I nodded to the little girl “riding lesson. I think the farm is called Ridden Stables.” I said, pulling out my phone to check my information and answer a text from Tanner.

A few more questions later, and I was back alone with them. I put my hand back in Harvey’s.

“I love you.” I said. “I would never have guessed it. We were in different circles and--” I felt a grip on my hand.

“I love you, too.” Harvey muttered, opening his eyes.

“You’re awake! Oh my god. Thank God.” I squealed, nope I am not staying calm hooolllyyy molleeyyyy he’s awake! He smiled, and winced.

“What happened? How long have I been here?” He asked, and Doctor Babcock walked in.

“You were in a car accident.” I said, and the doctor told him six hours.

“Okay, sir we need to do a CT Scan of your brain, are you ready?” She asked, and he looked at me.

“Yes, I am.” He said, squeezing my hand again, and I let his hand go as they wheeled him out of the room, and down the hall.

He’s awake. I group texted my guys.

Yaaaasss!!!! Cadence okay? Percy texted back.
She’s not awake yet. I answered, and sat back against the chair to look at her sleeping body.

“Cadence has been out for one week.” The doctor said to Harvey and I. “It may be time to talk about taking her off of life support.” he said.

“No.” Harvey said, his body stiffening. “She still has a chance to wake up.” He added.

“Sir, being unconscious for this amount of time at her age…”

“Doctor, no means no.” I said severely, looking at him. He raised his hands and walked away. I looked back at Cadence, who looked so peaceful there in her ICU room.

“She looks so calm when she’s asleep. Like there’s nothing wrong that’s gone on in her life.” Harvey said, intertwining his fingers with mine.

“I wonder what’s going on in her head right now.” I said as he leaned into me, even though I’m a few inches shorter than he.

“Well, well, well. What do we have here? Harvey getting it on while his daughter is dying. My, my, good thing Mommy is here.” I turned, and looked at an older Maria.

She’s still gorgeous. Her dark blonde hair was tossed into waves down her back, and the otufit she wore-- black leggings with a white chambray shirt--- made me wish I was taller and a lighter build. Too bad the caramel-colored boots she wore don’t come in my calf width, or I’d totally go buy a pair.

“What are you doing here, Maria?” Harvey said, his hand freeing from mine.

“Just stopping by to see my beautiful daughter. This is Ox, by the way.” She motioned to the heavily muscular man with tattoos all over at her side. Definitely Ox-like. She sashayed on by, and opened the door, as if she was someone.

“She will wake up when her mommy tells her she’s here.” She said, and walked into the room. As if. She took Cadence’s hand in hers, and plastered on a fake smile. “Baby girl, time to wake up now. Mommy’s here and she loves you.” She cooed, her scarlet lips dripping lies to the battered little girl. “Mommy wants you to wake up now, baby.” She said, and much to my dismay...there was movement. Cadence’s eyes fluttered open, and she looked at her mom.

“Mommy!” She squeaked, and a doctor rushed in to whisk her off to a brain scan.

“What do you want, Maria.” Harvey snapped.

“Why, my dear Harvey, I came to ask if you would take me back, darling. After all, I am still legally your wife. I could sue your rockstar,” She glanced at me. “for personal damage. You make what, millions? I could sue for everything.” She smirked, and I looked at her. She slung an arm around Harvey.
“Get off of me.” He said, shoving her arm off. “I do not want you.” he demanded, and she walked him down the hall.

“See you later, Kirby Lewis, you homewrecker. I need to have some quality time with my husband. She said, her hand slipping lower as he stopped.

“Get away from me.” He snarled, stepping back from her. “We got divorced, remember?”

“Darling, I still have rights to my daughter. I have decided you would love to have me home. She doesn’t want some rockstar b*tch who f*cks her bandmates.” Maria looked at me. My hands clenched into fists. “If you don’t let me home, I will have you arrested for kidnapping.” I heard her breath into his ear, and I saw his resistance go.
“Fine.” He spat, and she kissed him on the cheek.

“Thank you, darling. I know that we have a lot of things to catch up on.” she said seductively. “Cadence, love! Mommy is here.” She said as Cadence appeared around the corner in her bed, following her into the room. I looked at Harvey.

“I guess I should let you go. You need to catch up with your wife.” I said, fighting tears. My heart was being ripped out of my chest. He looked back at me.

“She’s not my wife. We got divorced.” He said, an air of helplessness around him. “She will take Cadence away. She will take me away from you.” He whispered. I looked at Maria sitting on Cadence’s bed, and Cadence was grinning, pure joy in her every move.

“She wants her mom, Harvey.” I said, stepping back. “I need to go. I don’t belong here. I guess we were meant to always be strangers. Goodbye.” I said, and turned away, my bare feet carrying me away from the love of my life.

I climbed into the truck, and sat there. I looked up at the hospital room where I Cadence was being reunited with her mother. I let the tears fall. I was empty. I lost him. He’s gone. Yepp. He’s gone. Cadence is happy, and that’s what matters. I put the truck in drive, and knew where I needed to be.

I haven’t been here in years. I drove down the road, and pulled onto the gravel driveway, hoping Molly was still there. It wasn’t too late.

I looked in the back of the truck to grab the paddock boots I’d just bought at Hitching Post Tack Shop, and pulled them on. I heard the neigh of a horse as I jumped out, and walked into the barn. A Hanoverian gelding stood in the aisle, and I heard Molly’s voice coming from the tack shop.

“Now Aiden I know I put his bridle some--” She stopped and my old trainer looked at me. A smile broke over her face.

“Kirby, oh my goodness!” She said, bringing me into a hug. “It’s been so long!” She said, looking at me.

“I have missed y’all so much.” I answered, a smile appearing on my face.

“Yeah! Oh my goooodd!” She said, handing me the giant halter. “Go get your pony.” She ordered, knowing I would need to see him.

I walked out into the big field, and spotted my best friend, eating grass in the far corner. “Bruce!” I yelled, and he jerked his big head up, and bolted over to me. His giant Percheron feet making the ground shake. He stopped short, and smelled me. “Hey, buddy.” I whispered into his mane as I hugged him. “I missed you.” I added, putting the halter on him. I missed you too. He seemed to say as he nuzzled me. “Do you remember?” I asked, going to his side. “Bow.” I asked, and by goodness he did!

“Thanks, Buddy.” I said, climbing aboard. He turned and looked at me, and he took off in a trot, the fact that he is older not even noticeable. I guided him to the gate, and we left the field, and entered the barn. Molly grinned at me, and the girl--I guess her name is Aiden, looked at me, wide-eyed.

“You’re Kirby Lewis.” She said, her horses turning around as she stared at me.

“Yeah, I am.” I smiled. “You’re Aiden, right?” I asked, and she nodded furiously. “I hope you have fun riding,” I said, and looked at Molly.

“I’m gonna take my trusty steed out on the trail. Be back in an hour or so?” I promised.

“Of course! He has missed you, Kirb.” She said. “He hasn’t been himself since you left.” she commented, and I hugged him.

“I missed him, too” I said, and we walked out of the barn, his bay coloring shining in the sun. He clipped and clopped down the grass, and soon we arrived to where I had been planning. The Rappahannock River. He snorted, and walked into the water, splashing playfully. Bruce walked out on the sand, and sensed my energy.

“Wanna speed up?” I whispered, and he nodded as I squeezed his sides and he took off into a canter. Cantering giant horses bareback is fun, try it sometime. It’s very freeing. We thundered down the empty beach, and I let my hands go on the reins, the wind blowing through my hair--I will say that I have always worn a helmet, so it’s a little weird to not-- and Bruce took the loose rein to speed into a gallop along the stretch of sand.

We slowed as we got to the tree in the water, gradually slowing to a halt. Bruce took a deep breath, slightly out of breath. I hugged him.

“I love you, Bruce. Thanks for being here.” I said into his mane. “I cannot believe the things that have happened since we parted last saw each other. There was this guy, and now he’s gone. And I really loved him, Bruce. I really did.” I said, taking a deep breath to keep from crying. We plodded back to his home, taking our time.

I rinsed the sand off of him, and gave him some food in his stall. I watched him eat, and looked at my phone. One new message from an unknown number.

Stay away from my husband, b*tch. Or you will be sorry. It was a picture of her kissing him on the lips. I locked my iPhone, and looked back at my horse. He finished eating, and ambled over to me, blowing into my hands, looking for treats.

“You cutie. I love you. See you tomorrow before I leave.” I promised, and locked the stall. He was munching on hay as I walked down the aisle and to my truck to go to the hotel for a few hours of sleep.

My alarm began to sing Country Song by Seether, and I opened my eyes, sliding the alarm off. I lay there under the blankets, not wanting to move.

Coming to Washington, DC Kirby? Kevin’s message said, and I sighed.

Yes. Give me a few and I’ll be on my way. I answered, and put my phone back on the nightstand. I walked to the shower, and turned on the hot water, hoping to warm my cold body. The water ran through my hair, and my tears mixed with it as I got clean.
I put the jeans and tank top I’d bought at the nearby Walmart on, and soon was across the bridge to Washington, DC for our show tomorrow night.

I walked into the building, and found the guys on the stage, practicing and doing the sound check. I sat behind my drum set, and joined them. They all turned, still playing, and grinned, glad to have me back, I guess.

We jumped into our truck-- my companion this past week, and headed into the city. Museums and stuff await! I felt my phone vibrate.

Kirby. Are you okay? Harvey. I ignored it, and was silent as the guys updated me on all that had gone on whilst I was gone. People were everywhere, and all the guys looked like Harvey, all the little girls like Cadence. Rory cut off mid-sentence.

“Kirby, are you okay?” he asked, and I turned to the side in the passenger’s seat.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I lied, and sighed. “Harvey’s ex-wife came back.” I elaborated, and the guys gasped.

“The b*tch.” Percy breathed. “I am so sorry.” He said, and Tanner turned to look at me from the driver’s seat. He brought his hand over to intertwine with mine.

“I’m sorry, KL.” Tanner said, and I stared out the window. I do not want to speak.

“It’s okay, guys. It really is.” I said, looking at my phone, which just went off.

Meet and greet dinner tonight at 6. Will send you deets in a minute.” Kevin said.

Okay. Will be there. I answered, and told the guys as Tanner put the truck in park. We jumped out, and Rory grabbed me in a hug.

“I am sorry, girly.” He said, and soon there was a group hug going on. Okay guys. It’s fine. Okay. No it’s not. But I’ll be fine.

I stood at the door to my new house in Norfolk, and unlocked it--the first time since I actually got all the way moved in-- and shut it once I got in to block out the cold weather. I slipped my Uggs off, and padded to the kitchen to grab a cup of peppermint tea--my comfort tea. I sat in the bright, window-lit living room, and looked across to the Chesapeake Bay, which raged against the empty beach. I opened my iPhone, sipping my tea, and made a quick Facebook status for the thousands of followers on my page, snapping a selfie to go with it.

Wooo! Stay warm on this chilly winter day, guys! Got my tea, I’m good! :)

I turned on my tv, and the news came up.

“In related news, a mother has been charged with attempted murder to her seven year-old daughter.” The announcer said. “Maria Miller, of King George County, Virginia, has been” I almost dropped my tea. The f*ck? I turned the volume up. “She was arrested Wednesday after her ex-husband, Harvey Miller, found their daughter, Cadence, tied up in the back of Maria’s car.” Oh god. I pulled out my iPhone again, anxiety taking over.

Is Cadence okay? I tapped, and my hands shook as I sent the message to the man I’d lost. I put my phone down, and ran to to the kitchen to get Sleepytime tea to try and calm me down. I heard my text tone go off, and I almost hit the wall as I ran to the living room to grab my phone.

Traumatized, but fine. Thank you. Harvey’s message began. She’s in the hospital right now. It said. I saw another message come in.

Can you come? It asked, and I knew I couldn’t refuse.

What hospital?

Norfolk General. They thought she’d get better treatment there.

Be there in 20. I answered, and walked out to my FJ Cruiser. I started the engine, and soon found myself in the parking lot of the Norfolk General hospital. I turned the engine off, trying to compose myself. How do I react to this? I walked away from him six months ago. Not the other way around. I recognized a little girl, and the man that walked next to her. I climbed out, and locked my vehicle.

“Kirby!” She yelled, and ran across the parking lot to me, and I swept her off her feet. “I missed you.” She whispered, and I set her down.

“I missed you too, kiddo” I answered, and looked at the man who I was still in love with. I could see the emotion in his eyes, the tears he was trying to hold in. He had lost weight, and his sandy blonde hair looked tired.

I wrapped my arms around him, and he picked me up. I felt his body shudder as tears began to fall, and my own joined his. I saw the police officer walk Cadence back into the hospital, giving us a few minutes to ourselves.

Harvey pushed me against my silver vehicle, his lips on mine. His hands slid up my back, pulling me into him. He broke away, and looked at me.

“Kirby, I love you I am so sorry.” He murmured, kissing me again.

“I love you, Harvey.” I answered, lacing my fingers with his as we kissed again.

I looked my phone, waiting for the court to let out. The reporters were everywhere, waiting as well. I saw the door open, and I saw exactly what I wanted. I slipped from my truck, and stood in the back for the jury representative to announce to the public the decision.

“Guilty.” was all I heard. I jumped up.

“YES!” I said, and immediately hid behind the nearest vehicle, not wanting the reporters to recognize me. I slid open my phone to the group text of my guys.

Guilty. Thank God. I texted, and Percy sent me a smiley.

Good. Now the b*tch can get what’s coming to her. Tanner said, and Rory sent me a party hat. I got back into my vehicle, and started up the engine. I drove to the back to meet Cadence and Harvey. They were all smiles.

“We did it. We won.” Harvey said as he climbed into the passenger’s seat.

“I am so happy for you, Cadence!” I said, and I could see her mixed feelings. Sad that her mother is gone, but happy that the woman who tried to kill her is getting what she deserves.

“Yeah.” She said as I pulled onto the road home.

I heard a knock at the doorframe of my room, and looked up to see Harvey.

“Can I come in?” He asked, and I nodded.

“Sure, come on in.” I said, sitting up and turning the light on. He closed the door, and sat on my bed.

“I am relieved she’s going away.” He said, and I put my hand in his.

“So am I.” I answered, “She almost killed Cadence.” I said, and he shook his head.

“I can’t believe she did that.” He said.

“I know.” I answered, and he looked at me.

“You’re beautiful.” He murmured, kissing me and getting on top of me. My hands wandered up his muscular back, lost in the moment.

“I love you.” I said, and he smiled against me.

“I love you too.” He sat up, and reached behind him. He pulled out a small box. Oh good lord.

“When you said the thing about being strangers months ago, I thought that maybe you were right. But then I remembered, we’ve never been strangers, my love. We were not strangers, and we never should be.” He said, opening the box. A very pretty diamond ring. Not flashy, just right. “Will you marry me, Kirby Lewis?” He asked, and I gasped.

“Yes. Absolutely. Yes.” I said, hugging him. He slid it onto my finger, and I looked at it. “I love you.” I said, and he kissed me.

“I love you too, rockstar girl.”