Consented | Teen Ink

Consented

Author's note: It's controversial because but others may think if it as a strong piece about consensual relationships being only a few years too many.

There’s a loud buzzing noise blaring in my ears. The sound forces my eyes to spring open and my head slowly rises from my pillow. I’m lying on my side, barely awake; every inch of my body is telling me I should go back to sleep. I decide to sit up on my mattress rotating to turn off my damn alarm. I press snooze but nothing happens. Then I hit it again and again and again until my temper gets the better of me and I rip it out of my wall. The racket finally ceases and before I know it, I’m laying back staring up at the ceiling.

Why do I force myself out of bed every day just attend the psychotic institution that is high school? What’s the point of dragging my ass out of my room only to endure the ball-crushing agony of juvenile actions and idiotic comments? Just to acquire a new founded knowledge, most of which will never assist me in the future.

I’ll admit school isn’t exactly the epitome of awesome but it beats spending the day at home with my mom.

I just finish getting dressed. My usual look, chestnut brown hair with a few purple streaks resting peacefully on my shoulders, a black tank top with the words “bite me” written in red, ripped washed out jeans, my signature combat boots, and a few minor accessories finishing up my punk, “delinquent” ensemble. I take one final glance in the mirror and satisfied with my appearance I smile, bat my mascara coated lashes and turn on my heel.

As I open my bedroom door and walk into the hallway, the smell of alcohol immediately fills my nose. The aroma is nauseating and I can feel my face fall into an exasperated frown. I set my sights on my mother who’s passed out on the couch holding what appears to be a bottle of brandy.
I remember hearing her stumble into the apartment last night. I walk over to the sofa and grab the bottle out of her hands. My eyes are fixated on her and her smeared makeup. The stench of cigarettes radiates from her, and I can’t help but glare at this woman. Maybe I should start keeping count of how many times she’s came home wasted.
I quickly make my way into the kitchen to pour the rest of her drink down the drain. I turn to the island located in the center of the kitchen to grab my bag. It’s lying on one of the bar stools and as I go to pick it up I realize it’s drenched. In the midst of my frustration I just noticed the island counter is soaked, the cause being a spilled bottle of Captain Morgan’s Spiced Rum.
I panic; all my assignments are ruined, soaking wet with a horrific stench. “S***,” I cry, annoyed at my mother’s ignorance. I’m late as it is, I’ve got no time to try and make this up.
I stomp to the exit and furiously slam the door behind me. I know I’ll feel better once I escape the migraine that is my mom. I casually walk down my steps and stroll down the sidewalk listening to the inspiring voice of Steven Tyler from Aerosmith blasting from my iPod.
Damn! I’m late, I’m so freakin’ late. School started ten minutes ago and I would’ve been there sooner if it hadn’t been for this huge mob throwing themselves at this celebrity outside of one of the boring glass buildings I pass every day. The sidewalk was swamped with paparazzi surrounding a huge limo, making it impossible for me to get through the crowd.
I turn the corner and I finally make it to school. I cut through the parking lot I pray the doors haven’t been locked. As I see the entrance I can’t help but feel relieved, like I can still make it. And then it hits me, literally my oblivion knows no bounds as I am struck by a large car pulling up to the curb. The horn blares but it’s too late and I am lying in the street dazed by my accident. Then suddenly it all goes black.
What the f*** just happened. Oh right I got hit by a car. Did I pass out? My eyes flutter open, it’s bright. There’s someone standing over me, I think it’s a guy.
“Dante, call an ambulance,” he says in a concerned voice.
Ambulance? No! I’ve had a deep fear of doctors since I was little and they held me down to get a shot. I pop up as soon as he says that word, causing our heads to bash together.
“Ouch,” I wince. Hard head and it appears have hurt him as well. If I didn’t have a concussion before, I do now. “Um, no hospitals. Thanks but I’m fine,” I say rubbing my forehead.
I look up at him and I realize he’s hot. More than hot he’s breathtakingly beautiful. He has dark brown hair gelled back, a little messy from our heads colliding. His eyes a terrific sky blue, sculpted features, and hypnotic lips that I can’t take my eyes off of. I’m staring at the magnificent god-like man in front of me, opened mouthed and face flushed with embarrassment.
“I’m sorry, are you sure you don’t want me to take you to the hospital?” he questioned.
“Um,” I’m stuttering like a foul, “I’m, I’m fine. Are you ok? I’m sorry I crashed into your cranium.” Cranium? I did not just say that.
He grins as if trying to contain a faint chuckle. I can’t help but let out a small laugh.
“Yes, I’m alright, you just took my breath away,” he says. I’m lost in his huge dimples. I study him a little closer. He has a minor scar over his left eyebrow. He’s in a black suit with an ordinary white collar shirt, a loose navy blue tie and a matching pocket hanky. He looks like he’s in his mid-twenties. He’s dressed too nicely to be a teacher.
Holy crap! I was hit by a limo, the same limousine that was hovered by paparazzi this morning. What the hell is a wealthy, attractive man doing at a s*** whole place like this?
He finally rises to his feet offering me a hand up. He’s incredibly strong, firm hands with long muscular fingers. So freakin’ hot!
“My name is Cole Harrison and you are?”
“Uh, my name’s Veronica Torrance, Ronnie. Please call me Ronnie,” I say continuing to stutter. My humiliation knows no bounds in the presence of this handsome Adonis.
“Veronica,” he says, cresting each syllable with his tongue. I’ve never felt this way before. He makes every muscle in my stomach clench. I don’t know why I keep fawning over this strange man I hardly know. He’s way too old for me. He’s way too attractive for me. “I would really prefer if you let me get you some help,” he gestures interrupting my thoughts.
“With all due respect Mr. Harrison I’m in no need of your assistance, I was just in a rush and wasn’t focused.”
He blinks at me, as if I somehow offended him. “Alright, then maybe you can help me. Are you a student here? I’m supposed to be having a meeting with the principle and super attendant, do you think you can show me where the main office is? Oh and please call me Cole.”
“Please, call me Ronnie.” He eyes at me with a disapproving smirk.
“Ronnie.” As he says it there’s a sparkle in his soft blue eyes. “Now do you think you can lead me to the office?”
Oh s***, I just realized I didn’t answer his other question. “Of course,” I blurt out with a little too much excitement, catching us both a little off guard.
He just keeps smiling. Why does he keep doing that? “Just follow me,” I say leading him into the building.

The school is dull and quiet, for once. Everyone’s in class so it’s not the usual mad house it always is. As we enter through the large glass doors I notice the lack of artwork and astuteness this wing of the school has. Plan grey walls with plan steal desks and plan computers with the plan men and women working. Honestly, a little diversity wouldn’t kill anyone. The thought of being employed at an ordinary lifeless abyss such like this is putrid.

I lead him into the main office, instantly secretaries are staring at Cole. Like me they’re in awe at the marvelous god that stands beside me. He flashes them a quick grin and they flush giggling like school girls. I role my eyes in exasperation, the imbecilic ogling is such a turn off.

Unexpectedly in strolls the guidance counselor, Mr. Hatch. “Well, well look who’s tardy,” he says with a sneer and frankly not surprised about my belated arrival. “Veronica you know that if you arrived late again, you’d receive detention.” His oozing green eyes are elite with humor. It’s like he gets pleasure out of watching me squirm like an ant under a magnifying class, but today is not the day to piss me off.

Before I can say my rebuttal, my knight in shining cufflinks objects. “This is my doing. You see I was the one in need of her assistance, my chauffeur having the hardest time finding this place and I saw this lovely young lady walking by.” Oh my god, his comment catches me off guard and almost makes me blush.
“And who are you,” Mr. Hatch asks raising his charcoal black eyebrows.
“Allow me to introduce myself, my names Cole Harrison; I have a meeting with your supervisors.” It’s almost as if his identity is like a slap in the face to Mr. Hatch.
“Anyway as we were driving I noticed she had a backpack and I offered her a ride if she gave me directions. Her tardiness is my fault,” he states glancing at me.

“Is this true Ms. Torrance,” he asks cocking his head to one side.

“Yeah,” I nod. “Can I go now, Burt?”

He scowls at me. “It’s Mr. Hatch to you and yes you’re free to go,” he says with a scowl. “As for you Mr. Harrison I’ll inform Mr. Frankel of your arrival.” And with that he walks back out of the room defeated.

“Wow, thank you so much, you really saved my ass back there,” I say relieved.

“You’re welcome, but I don’t appreciate the expressing,” he states, “a pretty little girl like you should learn to watch your mouth. And might I add, it was my limo that put your ass at risk in the first place.”

“Well, thanks but I like the way I talk and I’m fine, really. You’re very formal, and kind of blunt.

“What a bold statement, Ms. Torrance.”

“I told you call me Ronnie.” This man is so stiff, yet I suppose I do owe him a sense of gratitude. Sure he did almost kill me this morning but I suppose we’re even now. Oh my god, he’s doing it again. He’s gazing at me causing my checks to turn scarlet. Holy s***, he’s so hot that it’s turning the room into an inferno and I’m just standing here so awkwardly. “I’ve gotta get to class, but it was nice to meet you, Mr. Harrison.”

“My pleasure Ronnie, I hope our paths will cross again,” he says and it’s a genuine answer. “Have a good day.”

“Ha, I doubt it. My highlight is probably going to be getting hit by your car.” With a smirk I stride out of the room and make my way to geometry.
“Oh my god! What the hell V, you got hit by a car,” squealed Cassandra. Her eyes were practically bursting out of their sockets. “Jesus Christ, I mean seriously what the f***? What dumb ass doesn’t notice the 5’6” teenager in front of their vehicle?” Her voice was blaring through the halls alerting the attention of dozens of irritated students.

“Cass, I’m fine, I wasn’t paying attention it’s my fault,” I argued rolling my eyes annoyed. Her concern was heartwarming but totally redundant. It was also kind of comical. Cassandra was tremendously radiant. She wore her superb crimson curls in a tight ponytail on top of her hair. Her coils coordinated perfectly with her striking smile distinguished by her vibrate red lipstick. She had sweet navy blue eyes that were elite with happiness and covered in jet black eyeliner.

“I’m just saying that bastards lucky he didn’t ram me or all hell would’ve-,” I cut her off in the middle of her rant and shook my head with a disapproving smirk.

“You wouldn’t have done s*** if you saw him.” I beam responsively at the thought of him. The image of his eyes flash in my mind, those baby blue iridescent eyes that make me exultant to have been in the presence of an angel.

“Hello, earth to Ronnie.” Her hollering immediately snaps me out of my daze. “Holy s***, either you took a harder blow then I thought or you like him!”

I am speechless by her remark. Do I really like him?

“Ha, ha, you’re so funny, no I don’t like him! He’s too old,” I confess shaking my head. He was too old, that was true. He was also too beautiful, that was even more true. “Besides I should be focusing on my studies.”

She lets out a sound of disbelief. “Since when have you ever cared about your grades?”

“You know Cassandra it’s really nice to hear you talk; I know you and your mouth have been detained with Dominic for a while.” A sphinx like smile crosses my lips and I note the agitated look on her face. She groans with exasperation and is rolling her eyes.
“Oh my God, do not even bring up that loser. He is totally history! Okay, so first of all he was like an hour late picking me up so we missed the movie. Then we go out for dinner instead and the douche bag “forgets” his wallet so I was left paying even though all I had was a salad. Then we’re in his car and he pulls over to get a little action which was a major no! Basically the whole date sucked.” I can’t help but giggle at the horror details of the evening. “Wipe that smirk off your face,” her voice is shrill, almost embarrassed.

“Hey, maybe you should stop fooling around with assholes.” It was true, Cass was kind of easy, but that didn’t give any guy the right to hump and dump her.

“I miss Zack, maybe I should get back together with him!”

“You know what I don’t think that’s the best idea… I mean it ended in heartbreak last time, who’s to say it won’t happen again.”

“Yea, I guess,” she sighs shrugging her shoulders. “Oh jess, I got to get to tech or Davis is gonna kill me. Talk to you later, k,” she says as she races threw the crowd.

“K, see you at lunch,” I blurt but she’s already turning the corner into the next hallway trying to beat the bell. Swiftly I turn on my heel to head to my next class down the almost vacant hall.

An unexpected hand grasps me and pulling me into the janitor’s closet. I gasp; unaware of what’s happening my startled reaction turns to anger and adrenalin. His hands are feeling me and I sense he’s grinning.

“I’ve got you now,” he says in a menacing deep voice. F***! My heart is racing like a jack rabbit and chills run up my spine. Before I have time to think my body gets the better of me and sends a blow to my attackers jaw.

“Ouch! V chill it’s me.” He reaches for the light switch and I see its Zack. “Damn girl, I try to be spontaneous and this is how you thank me,” he complained clutching his now bruised chin. Zackary Lenet was exceedingly sexy, auburn shaggy hair hovered over his chocolate brown eyes. His tan muscular build was breathtaking, although I could’ve done without the obnoxious lettermen’s jacket. He also fit the stereotype of dumb jock, not to mention the ex-boyfriend of my best friend in the entire world. I felt guilty for it but I peculiarly enjoyed being with him.

“What the hell Zack! You scared me to death you idiot,” shrieking I realized I should probably keep my voice down if I didn’t want to get caught ditching class. My furry changed to concern when I noticed he was in pain. “Are you ok,” I asked stroking his face.

“Yeah, yeah I’m fine babe. You’ve got one hell of an arm Ronnie. That’s pretty sexy,” he admits. He leans in and plants a large kiss on my lips fisting his hand in my hair. I fall into his domination and pull him closer to me. As his tongue enters my mouth his hands slide down my back embracing me even tighter. Suddenly I push away from his grasp.

“Why are you doing this? I thought you didn’t want us to have contact at school. Remember can’t be seen or else it’ll devastate your reputation,” I explain smoothing out my hair. My statement was harsh but accurate. I’m not very popular and he rules the school. Although Cass liked me for who I am most people thought I was a freak and a future school dropout. But for some reason Zack found me attractive, I couldn’t fool myself that I wanted him as much as he wanted me. The shitty part wasn’t the secrecy from the whole school but it was the fact I was hiding my affair behind Cassandra’s back.

“No one can see us,” he beams getting closer to me. “And don’t make me sound like the bad guy, babe, you were on board with this as long as Cassandra doesn’t hear about this.” His words hit me like a ton of bricks and I’m so guilty. I shouldn’t be doing this to her; even though she’s had dozens of boyfriends I know she had very strong feelings for Zack. “Besides it’s been a month, I wanted to do something special.” I laugh and I can’t help but smirk.

“Well aren’t you sweet,” I say sarcastically wrapping my arms around his neck. “Well then maybe we should do something special.” I tilt his head down and kiss him softly. His excitement gets the better of him and one of his hands crawls up my shirt. “Whoa, I mean tonight. Right now you and I are going to our next period,” I urge halting his pursuit to my bra. He groans with frustration but obediently stops.

“Come on, can’t you stay five more minutes please?” he begs faking a hurt look. Rolling my eyes I decide a few more minutes wouldn’t kill me and nod. He smiles triumphantly and grabs me to claim his prize.

After about twenty minutes I am the first to leave the cramped room; I cautiously peek around the door and gratefully see no one around. I give him the thumbs up and he follows me out.

“I’ll see you tonight,” he winks and gingerly peaks my cheek. As I blush, nodding enthusiastically I turn the corner right as the bell rings. The hallway becomes flooded and I’m in a sea of children, almost as if my moment in the broom closet never happened.
After fourth period the entire school is called into the auditorium for an important announcement. Assembles like these are absolutely pointless, most of them are just a bunch senseless bullshit about us being a better community. Others are about how bullying is terrorizing our society and how we should just all get along, be friends.
Why do they spoon feed us this garbage? The world isn’t about being friends, if it was there’d be no war and we’d all be having a good laugh with Al Qaeda while having a drink with some pleasant communist country. It may be harsh but it’s reality I guess.

Then we have our obnoxious maddening pep rallies to cheer for our teams of Neanderthals to demolish some other schools team. We usually never win, but for some reason we still feel the need to applaud and make a spectacle out of our school.

As I walk in it takes me a second to find my redheaded companion enthusiastically bouncing around on stage looking out into the audience. She energetically waves when she spots me walking in a crowd of people. I beam at her bubbly phenomenon and respond by giving her a slight wave before I try to find a seat. I’ve always loved her conspicuous personality on and off the stage.

“Yo Ronnie I saved you a set girl.” I turn my head and I see Leon standing in the back of the auditorium gesturing at me to sit next to him and his girlfriend who looks less than pleased. With slight hesitation I strut over to him and gracefully slide into the chair next to him.

“Dominique, move down a chair, I wanna save a seat for Cass too,” he says.

She groans and rolls her eyes with exasperation. “Leon,” she whines, “Why do we need to make room for her? Why can’t we have some alone time, baby?” She pouts her over-glossed lips and I almost gag because of her complaining. Dominique Fuller is a hot dark princess with bogus blonde hair, large dark eyes, and fish lips. She’s is a total Beyoncé wannabe who wears enough glitter and makeup to be a prostitute. Her family is also one of the wealthiest people at this school and she doesn’t let anyone forget it. Sometimes I wondered what Leon sees in her, but then I just remind myself to look down at the tight tank top suffocating her pushup bra. Not to mention her humongous ass that barely squeezed into her leather skirt.

“Please sweetie, they’re my friends,” he pleads while flashing his megawatt smile. She practically collapsed under his grin and gave into his request. Leon is very attractive, big brown eyes that coordinated his skin beautifully, trim buzz cut, masculine exterior, and let’s not forget his gorgeous pearly white teeth. Although he appeared like your typical athlete, Leon Newman’s heart lies with the theater department and the poetry club. Ladies constantly ogled him, who could blame them? What woman wouldn’t want a hot sensitive boyfriend? Sometimes, I just couldn’t blame Dominique for being jealous… sometimes.

“So, Cassandra tells me you got ran over by some dick with a pretty face and judging by that giant bruise on your arm I can tell he must’ve hit you hard,” he commented wincing at the thought of me getting rammed. I look down at the fresh shady mark on my muscle and until now I didn’t even know I had any injuries. There’s one on your neck too!” My eyes widen, is that from my accident or from Zack? Nervously my hands fly to my throat. “Damn girl, are you sure you’re okay? Want me to kick some pretty boy ass,” he asked making a martial arts pose.

I can’t help myself but giggle in amusement. “I’m positive karate kid, besides when’s the last time you got in a fight and actually won?”

“B****, I’m offended. I can’t believe you’d question a brother’s honor like that,” he jokes. “So what’s this meeting about anyway?”

“I have no idea, it’s probably some community service announcement the principal thinks we should do to be involved with the world and stuff.”

“Great, that’s just what I want.”

“Your sarcasm must be contagious; everyone looks absolutely exhilarated to be here.” It’s not that we didn’t want to help, most of the money we made just ended up in the pockets of our teachers.

After a several minutes of waiting we see the wondrous cheerleaders make their way to the stage. They’re all identical in emerald and white uniforms, all of them shouting and clapping like something amazing’s going to happen. Leading the herd is my spunky best friend with her thousand dollar smile.

“Damn, you gotta hand it to them,” Leon murmurs in my ear, “They may be annoying, but they wear the hell outta those uniforms. Goddamn look at them bounce! Maybe you should rejoin the squad Dom,” he insists giving her a slight nudge with his elbow. She makes an affronted huff sound and turns her had in the opposite direction. It’s so hard not to laugh at couples sometimes.
Once the cheerleaders irritating squeals stopped all of them but Cassie walked off the stage. She took the podium with her bright sunny smile and the whole room went quiet, except for a few whistles from some horny teenage boys who couldn’t help themselves.
“Students of Woodrow Valley High School,” she says, “I’m pleased to announce that we have a new generous benefactor. I know we’ve never been the wealthiest school and although we’ve all participated in countless events to try to make this a better place, we’re all still on a sinking ship. I don’t want to see us suffer anymore. I don’t want to cancel electives or programs to help mold us into individuals just because of our financial struggles. Due to budget cuts we almost thought about canceling some of our beloved sports team.”
A rush of commotion floods the students. “Oh yes, because putting an end to our winning streaks would be devastating,” Leon whispers sarcastically.
“You would be complaining too if the theater or music programs were the ones on the chopping board. Come on Leo, show a little compassion.” My statement surprised us both, I wasn’t the biggest fan of jocks but they had feelings too. Cass was right; no one deserves to have something they love taken away.
“Exactly, without cheerleading I’d be miserable,” Cassandra explains, “That’s why I’m so grateful to have the honor of introducing you to an amazing man who has kindly reached out to us. Ladies and gentlemen, I’d like to present Mr. Cole Harrison,” she beams and begins to clap.
His name immediately takes my breath away. I see him smile and walk onto the stage, so cool and calm. Everything goes quiet and I can’t hear the applause around me. I only see him. He smiles as he shakes hands with Cass and he face turns as red as her hair.
He’s so gorgeous; I can picture his hands on me. I can feel his arms embracing me as I gaze into his incredible blue eyes. His fingers trace my lips and he smiles, he’s moving closure to me and I think I’m panting.
“Ronnie, hello is anyone home?” Leon begins to shake me out of my hot daydream and I feel my face begin to heat up. I can’t believe the effect this total stranger has on me. The sound of applause finally hits me and it’s all so much, I feel like I’m going to faint. “Ronnie, are you okay? Snap out of it girl, what’s wrong?”

I start stuttering again. “It’s, uh… that’s… he’s the guy who, who hit me.” I don’t even look at Leon as the words sputter out of my mouth; my eyes are glued to the schools new beautiful benefactor.

“What?”

“Leon, that’s him! That’s the dude who ran my ass over today,” I shout pointing to Cole as he finally takes the podium. Mr. Harrison smiles and he looks out to the spectators, but stops… Our eyes connect and it almost feels like he’s looking right at my stunned expression.
It can’t be there are over a thousand kids in the auditorium. How could he possibly see me? Sure there are not a lot of people with purple highlights but I’m under the radar. He couldn’t possibly be staring at me.

This book has 1 comment.

Kaylaaa said...
Write more!!!! It's a great start!!