You Won... | Teen Ink

You Won...

June 7, 2014
By Anonymous

The author's comments:
well i normally start to write and dont finish. plz comment so that i can know my work better. thank you!

“Well, you only need the light when it’s burning low,
Only miss the sun when it starts to know,
Only know you love her when you
And you let her go…”

A song that I had forgot to forget forever. It may sound complicating but life itself is incomprehensible, so what are the odds of us, humans to be not complicated? I see the cold fog has started to surround the air like a mother hugging her child. Everyone wants to be hugged by mother. How if one doesn’t have a person to claim as mother? To hug when you are cold, to cry when you are sad, to laugh when you are glad, and to hope when you are alone… what if you have no mother? What if… I had no mother… but she… she came from nowhere and gave me every single drop of love I was craving forever. She held me when I shivered, soothed me when I sobbed, laughed for my bad jokes, and was always there, right behind me, like a shadow that will never leave your side no matter what? But it was me. It was me who didn’t turn back. It was me who ran from the light and hid in the dark. Still… she came with a candle… I won't claim myself moronic for blowing out that only source of light that I had to survive. I am even worse than a pathetic… but it feels as if it was just yesterday, that fortunate day that she came with her smile which glowed like the sunshine and enlightened my gloomy days, and turned everything around. My Lisa…
………………………………………………………………………………………………
“Melissa Wilson. She is our new student from the capital. I know! You sophomore people aren’t all about welcoming the newcomers’ with intros from teachers…but…”
“Then why did you do that Mrs. Greene?” a dark guy in base ball cap interrupted. He is probably the hip-pop guy of this class or class clown. Marked you, my dear. Mrs. Greene walked to him and took his cap as she continued. “Well, that is because she requested such an intro herself and no caps in class Mr. Mallory.” That was more to a warning.
“Why does she want that?” another last bench guy voiced up.
“That is because I didn’t want to feel like an alien in a new environment.”
“Seeking attention already huh?” a girl this time. B* please!
“That is called making friends.”
“You have just gotten here. What’s with the rush?”
“Because I might die out of sudden cardiac attack by tonight.”
The entire classroom’s jaw dropped down to the ground, including Mrs. Greene’s. Gotcha people! I knew what exactly to say to catch their minds. Lisa you are smart! NOTED, ALWAYS WATCH WHAT YOU TALK. I hid a grin under my uncontrollable lips and continued.
“Obviously, I don’t know what might happen tomorrow. So I better make the best out of this present moment. I don’t like hanging things. But I guess now, you all would definitely remember me if I die tonight!” I gave that moment of liberty to that suffering smile of mine. Cheese. Mrs. Greene smiled and led me to my seat.
On my right, it was a girl with straight hair and long legs. She seemed sweet as she greeted me warmly. “It is good to know you Melissa. Call me Emily.”
She is sweet. “It is just Lisa and thanks Emily.” I replied her smile and turned to my left. There goes Mr. Mallory. “Hey Liz! It is Roy! Pretty daring front there huh?” he raised his hand for a high five. I gave him five, “Just Lisa please Roy.” I hate it when people call me like that. Liz, Lizzie… gosh that is so annoying! Like calling their puppy! But I must have been pretty amazing for a cool black guy to give me five on the first day. Good job Lisa.
Then I scanned the room thoroughly. All smiling faces with all kind of smiley I’ve seen on BBM and some were new too except for that b* just now. She is proving herself I think. Then I turned around and there he was. He looked straight in my eyes and that was so… something. “Hi, I am Lisa.” I greeted him with a handshake-to-be-expected but he looked at me intensely before saying it.
“Hi.”
That’s all that came out. Low, gloomy but peculiar voice. What was that about? I swayed my hand in the air backwards and settled it on my hair, just to cover up the insult. “Never mind dude.” Still no response. Jerk! Well you didn’t impress everyone except that b*, Lisa there is another jerk here. Marked you!
Class ended as soon as it began. Guys and girls got on their toes and walked out with their own team-to-hang-with friends. I suppose they are all childhood friends, neighbors, family friends, pre-school best buddies, cheerleaders, and so on so on. Moving into countryside seem like a new opening to me. I got up and took a peek behind me. And that guy just walked passed me like I was invisible. I fell back on my seat in shock of his sudden appearance from behind. Jerk!
Thank god, no one saw! I left the class, and headed to my locker. I was texting Paige to let her know that I survived the first class. I wonder what she is doing there. I bet she would have registered in the science club and library. By now I can imagine her being drowned in her novel in her class. She is always well organized, despite me. I am always clueless, as clueless as I am. Yes, that is me and my cousin sister Paige. Although we are two opposite poles, she has always been my best friend since she was born.
As I opened the locker, I got the shock of my life. A clown face suddenly popped out with a loud noise. Everyone in the hallway was staring at me. Now everybody will SURELY remember you Lisa. I made an embarrassing smile and cleared the mess. What the hell was that?
“How are you doing there?” I bent backward and saw a guy standing behind my door. Hands crossed and leaning on the locker, cute guy. “Couldn't be better. What on earth was that?”
“It is a welcome!”
“A welcome? You call it a welcome? Oh I call it disaster.” I slammed the door and started walking. He overtook me. “Hey girl… you got to chill first. I thought you were fun-type since the way you talked in class was pretty amazing and…”
“Fun? This is not fun Mr. fun-type. I was taken a back for a moment.”
“But you didn’t get a cardiac attack!” my steps halted. Is he doing this on purpose? Or is he that b*’s boyfriend?
“Were you in the class just now?”
“Yup!”
“Where?”
“Last seat.”
“Thought so.”
“Thought what?”
“Look, I got a mathematics class to go now. Thanks for the welcome. It was VERY WELCOMING. See you!”
“That’s it?” he lifted his hands up in the air. I was clueless, as always. “What about the making friends on the first day theory?”
I sighed. He made a cute face and it was cute. So I did smile back and greeted his hand. “Alex Clarkson.”
“Hey man, are you going to bunk Mr. Hudson's class again?” he walked in a lazy but stylish way and stopped talking once saw me. Jerk! He looked at me top to bottom. Oh my god, I hope he is not wearing any see-through lenses please… his eyes had a smile but lips hid it deep when our eyes met. He held a steady gaze where mine was random.
“Hey dude! I am so not gonna sit in his detention again! Lizzie is going to Mr. Hudson's class too. Mind if she joins?”
I snapped in. “Just Lisa please…” I slowed down once they both stared at me at once.
“Lizzie sounds fine too.” That jerk spoke this time.
“Not to me. I prefer Lisa better.” He asked carelessly again.
“What is wrong with Lizzie?” what is wrong with you guys?
“So you can speak?” now he can’t speak. “What?”
“And you speak English too. Great!” he knew why I said that but he shot a stare of obliviousness. And I shot him back one too.
“Whoa guys! Stop please… Lisa, just Lisa, meet my buddy, Leo Perkins. And Leo, this is Lisa.” That is your good name. Who cares man? Bad attitude doesn’t work for a guy. Not for a good-looking one for sure. NOTED, GOOD-LOOKING GUYS HAVE ATTITUDE PROBLEM.
He held his hand out and so did I. Just didn’t complete the handshake, instead I swayed it around and tucked my bangs behind my ears. “Now that is a draw.”
I shot a tricky beam at the guys and started walking ahead of them. I could hear them behind me but I ignored it and paced up. I got to text Paige again and revise what I said earlier.
………………………………………………………………………………………………

Algebra… Pythagoras… pie… pancake… whatever! Why am I even learning this? It is not as if I am going to use them in future. Basics like addition and subtraction would do but integration do what good? Boring… I kept on swirling my pen over that sheet with all kind of numbers and symbols. “FORMULAS” it read. I feel as if I am being lulled to sleep. I rested my chin on my right palm, standing on the desk and surveyed the room. Some were keen about the lesson, some giving the same lazy sigh I did, some texting, some sleeping oh my god! Some smiling and one staring right at me. Jerk? His eyes were set rigid on me. Not moving. Not blinking. Just staring, at me. Is there anything on my hair? Or is my bra stripe out? What is he gawking at like that? I sat back straight facing forward, avoiding his eyes. They are so hard to resist. His deep blue eyes are so…appealing. NOTED, LEO PERKINS HAS A PAIR OF IRRESISTIBLE EYES. I wanted to turn around to check if he is still doing that or what but I was quite afraid to meet his eyes again. Stop it man, you know your eyes are tempting.
“Ms. Wilson mind to solve this problem?” whose problem man? I already have a lot for myself. I stood up and walked to the board. Mr. Hudson stepped aside as I took the chalk from him. I breathed deep and scanned the problem. I tried to recall the formulas I kept looking at just now, to avoid Leo’s eyes. My phalanges began to make movements with the chalk piece in between. Then there it goes, numbers and symbols on the blackboard.
I faced Mr. Hudson. He was focused on the board. Marking with eyes. Great job sir. I stood there waiting for him to retort. The people on the front desks gave out an amazed glance which made me nervous. I didn’t dare to look at Leo. But I felt like I should. Still I didn’t. “Well, I didn’t know that you were good at mathematics Ms. Wilson. That was fast and fabulous. You should consider joining our mathematical club.” Was that a compliment? I am so not a mathematical person. Anyways, it is better that I didn’t get myself embarrassed on the first day of mathematics class. I went back to my seat and settled down quietly. People around me gave me thumbs-up and good-works.
I thought of turning behind to see Leo’s reaction but I deleted that thought at once. I intended to leave the room as soon as the bell rings. I can sense his eyes still nailed on me from the back. I want to shun his eyes. Is it a payback for arguing with him? Distractions! Oh please… you started it jerk! The bell rang and I ran.
Once I reached the cafeteria, I was already panting. I never felt like this before. I’ve met a lot of guys in my life. And a lot of asking-outs, dates, dance invitations and extra… extra that I have faced. Not to brag about but sincerely, I was quite popular since elementary and had a number of fans. Guys even claimed that I distract them. But nobody was ever able to disturb me. I don’t remember coming across this sort of situation before. Act cool Lisa. You better do. Don’t tell me that you are going to keep running for the whole year. You got one more year to spend in this school. My view was distracted when someone touched my shoulder.
“Oh my god!” I jumped plus screamed a little.
“What? Are you okay Lisa? I saw you talking to yourself from far.” Thank god… no one was around.
“Emily… nothing I was just… just… recalling my way back to the next class.” Safe point.
“Do you want to join us?” she pointed at the cafeteria on the right just when another girl with short brown hair approached from left. I made my friendly smile to her. “Will it be okay if I did?” I didn’t want to interrupt friends.
“It is fine. No problem, you can come with us. Or are you going with someone else?” the new girl seem to be friendly enough too. Before I could retort, “Meet my friend Kara. And Kara this is my new friend Lisa.” Emily declared me as her friend. Great!
“That is great! Hi Lisa! You are going to have awesome time here. Let me pick your lunch today!” Kara loaded her book in Emily's hand and got behind me. She pushed me into the cafeteria like a kid pushing her mother in a carnival. Emily caught up with us, smiling like this-is-Kara after us.
We sat down in a table with a few more students. Guys and girls eating while chatting. Emily introduced me to them. After knowing all the names I was about to take a sip of that chocolate drink that Kara picked for me specially. “Hey guys…” a girl from my table extended her tone. I turned to check out those ‘guys’ she said. It was them. That jerk and Alex were walking in with a bunch of guys. They all had different kind of good look from which I made certain that they are all taken for good. NOTED, GOOD SEEDS ARE ALWAYS TAKEN.
They stopped by at our table and greeted each other with ‘hey bro’, ‘what’s up babe?’ some high fived, some low fived, some hugged and a lot more ways. Leo stood at my opposite and I kept my gaze down on my tray, not to show him my uncomforted feeling. He was greeting others as well too but I manage to catch his sight peeking at me by sideways in between. Cute. Just when he took a step in my way, Alex appeared behind me.
“Hey Lisa, got friends already huh?” I smiled at him uneasily. Roy hung his hand on Alex’s shoulder, just when that jerk came by their side. “Told you man. She is pretty amazing. She got everyone’s interest on the first day. Isn’t she Leo?” Leo made an approving smile at Roy as he turned at me. That smile was not approving, it was teasing me. I wanted to get up and ask him why but a girl’s voice cut short.
“Who is amazing Leo?” that was the b* in the class just now. She sounded so sweet but I swear she can’t be. I could see the change of reaction on his face as soon as he heard her voice. She had an irritating catwalk. She shot a what-are-you glare at me when she stood beside Leo.
“Hey Abby baby! What’s up?” Roy took her hand which she pulled away instantly. She looked at Leo again. “Who are you guys talking about?” wonder why she is so curious about it. Alex pointed at me with a weak smile. “You? What is so amazing about her?” she scanned from top to bottom.
“What do you care Abilene?”He didn’t even meet her eyes. That irritated her. I was looking at each one of them one by one. Alex came and stood beside me with his hands on my shoulder. “Come on Abby, she is new here. And it is rare for a newbie to get friends this fast. We should be happy for her.” That was very sweet of him to take my side. I switched my gaze at Leo, wondering whose side he will take. But he remained silent. She gave out a scorny sigh and linked arm with Leo. “Leo, let us go grab something.” She was too flirty. That sentence doesn’t have to sound flirty actually. Man, this school is full of weird people.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.