The First Time He Looked At Me | Teen Ink

The First Time He Looked At Me

May 31, 2014
By luv2write17, Wheat Ridge, Colorado
More by this author
luv2write17, Wheat Ridge, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon."


Author's note: What inspired me to write this was the fact that I like someone, and hope maybe we become friends and a little mored in the future. I want people to get from this that if you hope, even if it hasn't happened, that it can if you hope and work toward it.

I didn’t think he’d even give me a second look. Didn’t actually think he’d remember my name after my best friend told him about a million times. But he did. He does. I love him…. he loves me. I guess if you have hope there’s a possibility it could happen.


His name is Luke Sakner. Mine is Makenna Afton. I thought we could never be. Turns out I was wrong, which doesn’t happen often. His old-Justin-Bieber length hair appealed to me, even though I dislike Justin Bieber. When I saw his face and realized that, I didn’t care. It’s gorgeous coloring is the same as mine, and his chocolate brown eyes were the opposite. I have green.


So why do I love him? I don’t know…. maybe I never will.


I walk into the class, and I pause at the door. There’s Luke, sitting there, looking straight at me and smiling, beckoning me over with his gorgeous chocolate brown eyes. I step forward, setting my stuff down and checking my phone for the time. Luke’s wearing an Asking Alexandria sweater, and he looks all together warm. I tuck my phone back into my pocket, and slowly turn and smile. He smiles back, but shows his gleaming white teeth, while I cover mine. I never noticed how happy and beautiful he is when he smiles.

“Hi,” he says, still smiling.

I blush beet red, and he laughs, closing his mouth quickly to cover it up. I finally get up the courage to speak, “Hey.”

“So…. first class together ever, huh?” His eyes scan mine like a metal detector, curious and seductive at the same time.

“Yeah,” I manage….. all I can under his gaze. “It’s interesting. I mean, I didn’t expect you to want to talk to me. I mean, because you seem to like all the other girls.”

He looks away, no longer smiling. I feel horrible. I don’t want him to take an immediate disliking to me because of something I didn’t mean to say.

“I’m sorry, I--”

“It’s okay. That isn’t me. I just don’t want conflict…. I don’t like them hanging over me the way they do.”


“Really! I didn’t mean that that way. But I understand. I like the quiet life, being able to do what you want without everybody bothering you about your business.”

“That’s why I like you.” He says without hesitation. I suck in a silent breath, taken aback. He likes me? That’s the last thing I would’ve thought, the first thing I would’ve hoped.

“You don’t care what people think. I wish I could do that and not have anyone judge me.”

He likes me….. he likes me he likes me he likes me….. the thought reels like a racehorse around me head. He smiles again, and I blush again. The usual. My friends, including my BFFE (Best Friend For Eternity) Emmy, told me whenever he even walked by that I flushed so red he could’ve seen me from a mile away…. I would’ve hoped he would’ve rather seen me as myself then blushing because I am more myself not blushing. Does that even make sense?

I go home, trying desperately not to show anything. My mother would disapprove and my sister would give me the lecture on not doing falling for anyone or something. But I don’t care as long as I’m with him.

Chapter 2

After he told me he “likes” me i figured just as a friend. I never realized it was much more than that. Part of me knew but the other had every possible doubt. Emmy is my best supporter and helps me realize we could be more…. I am glad she is there for me. I wouldn’t have any other best friend, even if it was my favorite celebrity. She’s like my sister, and her support for me helps me in everyway. I couldn't stop thinking about how i was told he liked me! Then while I was pondering that thought at lunch he took me by surprise. He came to my table and asked to talk to me. I went around as fast as I could, I could feel my heart racing with every step i was nervous and scared to what he would say. He stopped me when I was in front of my table.

“Makenna… I didn't think we’d ever have a chance. I was so worried what other people here would think of us together. i didn't know what would happen. To be perfectly honest thats the only reason I never had the courage not to talk to you. That and I was scared you didn't like me at all. The past few weeks getting to know you have shown me that it doesn't matter what others think of me. Only what I think of myself. I have the courage now to say what I never could before… Will you be mine??”

For a moment I am stunned, but it seems like an eternity. Forever I am frozen. My muscles too. But after that forever, a new one begins. I run toward him and throw my arms around him without any hesitation at all.

“Yes!” I shout, and this time, I am glad to know it wasn’t just a dream. It’s a reality. As soon as i grab him he swings me around and tells me he loves me.

Emmy, Genevieve, Camryn, Tiffany, and Natalie stare for a second and then clap harder than ever. A weird reaction, I know, but I was to be happy swinging in his arms to notice. As I swing in his arms I jump as Emmy leaps over and hugs us all together. I feel more happiness in that moment than I have in my life. Meanwhile, the whole cafeteria (and my friend Blake) are staring, some unhappily (like Blake) and some are smiling and cheering (like my friends). Luke continues to swing me around for another eternity. Two forevers next to Luke and Emmy… I would give anything for that. I feel bad that it happened right in front of blake after all he’s liked me since 2nd grade, but i never felt for him as i do with luke. Luke is more important than anyone in my life except for my family, and that is a lot for an eighth grader in love with an eighth grader. I am content there…. as I will be for as long as forever… and more.

Chapter 3

I am so happy. I turns out that life really doesn’t turn out the way you think it would. I thought I would find someone later in life, maybe find no one at all, and thats why I’m surprised he didn’t even give anyone around him a second look when he was saying all those beautiful things to me. I am thrilled to have someone that loves me as much as he does. It is only a week after he asked me out, and we’ve decided to take it slow. I don’t want to ruin anything before my life even starts. I know this sounds silly, but he’s the one I want to spend my life with, even if I meet someone else. I will never choose anyone over him.

But things have been a little crazy lately. After he asked me out in front of all the eighth graders, people have been giving me a crazy look and glaring. I just pass them by; I know all I need are my friends and my boyfriend.

“Hey,” I hear the gorgeous voice radiate off the walls. I turn and look at him.

“Hey,” I say. He pulls me close and he wraps his arms around me tightly. His scent crawls into me, and I know I will never forget it. I breathe it in, and I can’t ask for more.

He lets me go, but holds my waist as I hold his elbows.

“I wanted to take you out tonight. You know, to dinner and then a movie.”

“That sounds great!” I exclaim. I am happy he notices me. Some people clap and cheer at the fact that Luke and I are dating and happy, unlike what we were both before: unhappy (besides our friends) and a little lonely. Then I sat down next to him, and everything changed.

Then his friend Kelsie comes out and rests her hand on his shoulder. He pushes it away and she sighs.

“Luke, can I talk to you?”

Luke gives her an angry look and holds my arm. “You come too.” He tells me, and the furious look on Kelsie’s face is priceless.

My hand crawls to his, and he holds it tight, as tight as he held my body when we hugged, and with equal authority to those around him. Kelsie continues to walk toward an isolated corner no one is in or near. She pauses, gives me a murderous look, points.

“Why is it I just heard you were dating this freak?”

“She’s not a freak. And because I want it to keep calm. I love her, and you can’t do anything about it.”

“But you said only about, what, last year, that we would be together! You would wait for me!”

“Things change. I met someone better. Way better…. in all ways.” Luke’s voice doesn’t crack with pain that he is saying this to his friend, but he seems strong and relieved, like he didn’t think he was ever going to be able to tell her.

“Oh, and you just have to say that now?! While she’s right there, to make me feel like she has superiority over me?”

“No, I’m saying it in front of her because it’s true, and she knows what I think of her! I love her, and I don’t understand or at all appreciate what you are saying!”

“Well, neither do I! I love you and understand you more than this stupid little freak!”

They are both shouting now, and the kids walking are staring unhappily. Emmy, Genevieve and Natalie come running up, but I motion for them to stop. Luke and Kelsie are still yelling, and I jump in with more power than ever.

“Shut up!” I yell at Kelsie. Even Luke looks surprised, and he knows the amount of power and impatience I have. “You know nothing about our relationship! He chose me, I chose him! Over everybody! And he didn’t have to wait for me, he wasn’t bound to me. We chose each other, while to be with you, he would’ve had to wait! So shut up, and deal with your problems ALONE, where NO ONE HAS TO HEAR YOU’RE STUPID PITY PARTY IN FRONT OF EVERYONE!”

Luke kisses my cheek in front of her and smiles mockingly at her. We start to walk away, leaving Kelsie close to tears.

“Oh, and by the way, I love him and will love him, and I understand and will understand him, more than you have ever dreamed of and will ever! I love him, so deal with it!”

That is my last line, and I join hands with Emmy, who joins hands with Gigi, who joins hands with Natalie. We are all together, never to be separated. Unlike someone I know.
We walk away, and stay together. The school starts to follow us, even the people who don’t like the fact we’re together. Kelsie’s friends stay behind to comfort her, and she’s sobbing and screaming, “He said he would wait for me! He said so!”
I feel bad deep inside for hurting her, but she deserves to know that she can’t take control of our relationship just because she feels like it. I have broken promises before, but never made a big deal out of it. But I guess that’s only because I haven’t promised to love someone and wait for them until they’re ready. What if, in the end, I want to wait for something and he moved on because he met someone better? I would feel horrible. But thinking that way won’t do anything good for either of us…. especially Luke.

Chapter 4
Natalie called me later that night talk about her crush. His name: Tate. He was tall with a haircut that highlighted his brown hair. The color of light milk chocolate, lighter than Lukes. His bright blue eyes stood out against the white scoop neck shirt he was wearing. He’s a friend who Gigi and I have known for years, and he’s completely hilarious. That’s why he and Nat are perfect together. They always sweet talk each other, and Nat can tell him anything, just like he can tell her anything. They are best friends, and I know Nat would like to be more. That’s what she deserves, after the hell she’s been through with all the other guys who’ve turned out not to be good at all.
“I love him. I wish- no: hope- that he loves me too.”

“He probably does. Guys are unpredictable like that. Ugh, men.”

She laughs. But her voice is still unsure. “Are you sure about this?”

“Yeah. I guess….”

“Now you sound unsure.”

“I am. But he’s nice and you are perfect together.”

“Okay. Thanks, I just needed reassurance from someone who’s in love with someone.”

“Happy to help. If you need me, I’m here.”

“Okay. Bye.”

“Bye.”

I hang up, happy to be there, but being unsure could ruin everything, especially if my instincts are totally wrong. Hopefully they aren’t. But the next day, Tate runs up to Natalie and hugs her, grabbing her hand eagerly.

She tells him something silently, and walks to me and all the others. She throws her arms around me, and I hug her, happiness exploding like a million fireworks inside me.

“It worked! Thank you!!! In the end, all it took as talking.”

“I told you!” I let go and smile at her. “Everything is working out.”

She goes on to hug the rest of us and her smile is the happiest I’ve seen in forever.

Luke comes over and holds my hand. I kiss him and laugh. Everything is going on the right line. Our lunch table is going to have to be expanded. I’ll just have to talk to the principal about that.
Natalie is off-the-charts amazed and her happiness seems to radiate off of her. We all sit together at lunch, and we go on that day the same way: hugging everyone, and being ourselves. The only thing amiss is Emmy. Camryn has a boyfriend way out in New York, and Gigi has a guy named Joe who doesn’t go to our school. Tiffany has one, but won’t tell me his name. I feel bad because the guy Braydon, who Emmy likes, is Luke’s best friend. But it seems like Braydon won’t even look at Emmy…. ever.
Soon the tables are being dismissed. The whole table goes outside, and Luke and I disappear. I tell him I need to talk to him, and he gets a worried look in his eyes.

“Did I do something?” His quiet talk scares me, and I press myself up close to him, kissing distance, and look up.

“No, of course not.” My arms wrap tighter. He bends his head to bury it in my shoulder, and he wraps his fingers in my hair. “Luke, I need your help. It’s not about me or you, it’s about Emmy.”

“What about her?” He asks. It’s a muffled reply since his head is still buried in my hair.
“You’re like a brother to her. You know she’s in love with Braydon.”
“Yes. And she’s like my sister. I would do anything for her.”
“Okay. Talk to Braydon for her. Convince him to talk to her. Maybe then he’ll love her too.”
“Wait. He already does! You didn’t know?” He pauses, staring me in the eyes.
“No!”

“Well, I was going to ask you about that. He’s trying to figure out how to ask her out, to see if she likes him. I haven’t released a clue.”

“Okay. Well, I already have an idea.”


That night, I invite her horseback riding at midnight, to tell her parents she’s coming to a sleepover at my house.

We saddle our horses and ride. The moon shines bright on the smooth, tiny blades of grass that stick up out of the ground. They bend in the slight breeze.

“What did you bring me here for?” She asks.

“For this.”

I wave into the distance, and one of the little black figures waves back.

“Who is that?”

“Come on!”

We gallop into the night, and the two black figures slowly gain color and grow. Luke and Braydon smile as Emmy’s hair blows in the wind, almost identical to mine. We get off at the exact same moment. Braydon goes up to her and Luke comes up to me. We stand back, waiting for Braydon to make his move.

“Emmy….. I don’t know if I can cram this all in. You are an amazing friend… the best I might’ve ever had. Anyway: I’ve never felt the happiness I feel when I’m around you. You make me feel like I can do anything, like I can be anything. I love you all around: your attitude, your kindness, your looks, and everything about you. I love you. Do you love me? Will you?”

She pauses, and takes both his hands. “Yes,” the serious look in her eyes is what makes it so romantic. No hesitation and no joking. Just love. They come together in the moonlight, foreheads pressed together, laughing.

I look at Luke, tears brimming my eyes. We do the same thing, and hug. This is where we both want to stay: bathed in moonlight, with people we know we can trust…. the four of us, friends forever…. forever together. It’s all I can ask for.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.