Inside My Mind | Teen Ink

Inside My Mind

By Greekyogurt BRONZE, Sahuarita, Arizona
Greekyogurt BRONZE, Sahuarita, Arizona

Parting is such sweet sorrow.
Romeo and Juliet By William Shakespeare.

Isabelle
The walls are closing in. My breathing grows rapid and shallow. I claw uselessly at my face with jagged nails, digging deep into my skin until trails of blood fall down my face and puddle around my legs. My knees are drawn up to my chest with the toes of my shoes pointing towards each other. I wrap my arms around my knees and draw into myself as if I can just disappear.

I start laughing suddenly, as if something were funny. It doesn’t sound happy but more maniacal. I stand up suddenly, keeping my head hung low. My laughter grows in volume, shoulders shaking, eyes wide, face bleeding profusely. I extend one finger, my forefinger, and walk over to one of the many mirrored walls. I press my nail hard on the mirror and walk slowly along the wall, still laughing. An eerie noise rings out throughout the tiny cell. I laugh continuously as a crack spreads along the mirror wherever my nail has pressed against it. My nail breaks and now my forefinger bleeds as well.

I drop my hand as well as my laughter and stare intently at the mirror I’m currently facing. Four of me stare back. My long brown hair tangled and frizzed. My skin pale from five years of no sun. My bright green eyes wild, and crazed. More animal than human. My face torn and scarred. I suddenly become furious. I tilt my head back and let out a long, gut-wrenching scream. They did this to me. I scream and pound my fists on the glass walls. I keep on screaming and pounding even as my fists become a ragged, fleshy mess. Blood splatters the floor and the mirrors, bright and sticky, oozing out of my freshly wounded fists.

“Momma?” A sweet little girl’s voice speaks out softly, questioningly, echoing in the tiny cell. Tears of relief stream down my face.

“ Anna!” I say and run to my daughter where two guards now stand at the entrance to my cell, looking down at me wearily. I squeeze Anna tightly to my chest and weep silently. These are tears of relief and joy, mixed with loss, pain, and anger. I know that in five, short minutes, I won’t see Anna for another two months. My own daughter will be gone. Soon. All too soon. They will take her away again. Away from me…

I hold her tightly, as she buries her small blond head in the crook of my neck. I breathe in deeply. Anna. My poor little five year old baby girl. She was born here, in the mental hospital when I was taken. They told me I was a threat to her. They told me that, Anna being near me, was a threat to her very existence. A threat to her life. I was emotionally unstable then.

That was five years ago. I was sixteen then. I will be twenty-one in two months. December twenty-third… same as Anna’s birthday. On my sixteenth birthday, magical sixteen, I got and lost everything that I have ever had. I lost everything that I loved. My hopes, my dreams… They crushed them all, mercy be damned. Anna looks up at me with her brown, warm eyes, fearfully. We both know that time is up. I feel it in every emotion I have ever felt in my life. Each one turning slowly into dread. One of the guards moves nearer to the pair of us, arms outstretched. I glare at him, coldly. He smirks. He signals for one of the guards to remove Anna from t\my tight grasp. He picks her up roughly, by the arms.

“Momma!” She screams frantically as she kicks the guard in the shins. He doubles over and drops her. She scrambles away from the guard, towards me. I reach out for her and run to her as well. The guard now behind her recovers and hit’s Anna squarely in the back of the head, roughly. Anna drops to the floor, as though dead. I scream in pain, as if I could feel the blow.

“Anna!” I scream. I seize the guard and pound my fist into his gut, hitting him repeatedly. Another guard comes up from behind me, a male, and picks me off and throws me to the other side of the room, as if I weigh nothing. I hit a mirror, and it shatters, glass raining down on my already ruined face. It doesn’t matter. I get up and try to regain focus. My eyes are swimming with tears of hatred and fury.

“Take the kid to its room.” The guard that threw me says in a deep voice. It! My fury grows, now out of control. “As for you…” The guard looks at me with amber eyes. “Stay.” I move closer to him, disregarding his orders. “I said,” he starts, moving to me and pulling me roughly to the ground by my hair. “Stay.” He stands up to where I now lay on the ground, in pain. I stand up and look into his eyes.

“No!” I scream in his face. He slaps me, hard. So hard in fact that I spin and fall to the floor again. My head throbs and bleeds from the impact against the floor. My eyes swim in and out of focus. Blackness creeps into my vision. The guard spits in front of me and laughs coolly.

“Learn your place… wench.” Relief washes over me as I walk gratefully into a long, dead sleep…

Anna

December twenty-third, the date bounces around in my head. I can escape with mommy. That will be the first birthday that I will actually be happy on. My first birthday present. My first five birthdays I spent in a mental hospital. I haven’t seen the sun before, I haven’t seen the sky. I’ve heard it’s blue. Blue and beautiful. I want to see the sky on my birthday. I want to hear my mother’s laugh. I’ve heard her scream in agony. The only laughter I’ve heard from her is one of madness. She cries when she sees me. For five minutes I can hold her. For five minutes I feel loved.

I used to have an hour; we used to have an hour. They took that away from us. We had devised a good escape plan in one hour. That’s why they only allow us five minutes now, because of last year on my birthday…

*******

“Happy birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Anna, happy birthday to you.” My mother sings in my ear softly as she cradles me in her arms “ ready?” she asks me gently. I closed my eyes just as she told me too. I squeeze them tight.

My mother holds me to her chest and jumps out of one of the windows in her cell. She uses a small bed as a stepladder to get out of the window. My mother shields me with her body against the glass. She takes off, running towards the front gates of the hospital with me in her arms. I hear dogs barking, I hear the electrical sound of a taser, I am afraid…

***********

Obviously we didn’t make it. I shudder. I hate memories. There is too much too fear in the past. The other thing that they changed after that is my mother’s cell. They kicked out the windows and built mirrors all around the room. The walls are mirrors. The ceiling is one as well. Escaping through a window is no longer an option.

Mommy will know what to do. I want to feel the breeze. I want to feel the warmth of the sun. I want to be able to smile. I don’t know how to smile…

“Hey kid.” I look up from my hands at the guard next to my door. The voice is female.

“What.” I say dejectedly.

“Are you ready to get out of here?” Confusion muddles my thoughts. What?! Who is this girl? Everything suddenly falls into place. She figured out how we can escape. My mother did. The guard comes to kneel down next to me.

“I’m your aunt. Your mother’s sister. I’m here to get you out of this hospital and back to where your mother was raised. You’ll both be safer there.” The guard grabs my wrist and pulls me to my feet. I jerk out of her grasp.

“How do I know I can trust you?” I remark coolly. The guard removes something from around her neck.

“Here” She presses a small, ruby pendant into the center of my palm. It’s connected to a small, thin, gold chain. It’s beautiful. I run my fingers wonderingly over the smooth stone of the gold capped ruby.

“This was your mother’s. It’s yours now.” My eyes widen in surprise. This is the first present I have ever gotten. Tears spill down my cheeks. I’ll have to thank my mother for this soon. I run to the guard and hug her fiercely. She smells of rain and light.

“Come.” My aunt says briskly, removing my arms gently from her waist, I’m not tall enough to reach her neck, and begins to walk from the room.

“Oh and by the way Anna,” I look up at the guard admirably. “My name is Sicily.” I smile at her as she begins to walk down the long, well-lit hallway to my mother’s cell.

Sicily… Another person I know can trust…
Sicily

“Stay here.” I tell Anna once we reach my sister’s cell.

“But-”
She begins to protest but I hold up a hand motioning for her to be silent. She crosses her arms over her chest stubbornly but obeys. I take a deep breath before entering the room. This it it. Time to test out my acting skills.

“ I open the door to my sister's cell. The guard standing there is male , about 6’5, and handsome with blond, honeysuckle colored hair and sea-green eyes. Good. This just got a lot easier.

“Hey!” I say in a an overly friendly voice. I walk over to him and rest my arm on his shoulder. I lean in closer to him.

“How’s it going?” I whisper. I’ve heard guys go crazy over this. At least that’s what I’ve heard anyway. It seems stupid that a guy would fall for something as stupid as this lame excuse I’m giving for “flirting”.

“Great but, boring.” I smile. Just the right response. At least he answered truthfully…

“I can take your shift if you want.” I look him straight in the eyes and lower my voice. His eyes narrow in suspicion. S***. His moment of thought gives me enough time to improvise.

First I kick out and hit right under his knee with the toe of my shoe. He starts to cry out but I cover his mouth with my hand as his knee buckles beneath him. The pain sears through my body as his teeth sink menacingly into my hand. I fight back the urge to scream or shout, knowing it would only give me and my sister away.

Next, I bring my knee up to his chin repeatedly until his eyes fall out of focus before hitting him squarely in the back of the center of his head with as much force as I can muster. His eyes roll into the back of his head until only his whites are showing before his body slumps to the ground. As soon as his jaw slackens, I yank my hand free.

I wince. Ow. His teeth had sunk deeply into my hand to the point where his teeth could have gone completely through it. Blood pours from my hand and I start to feel light-headed. Dizzy. The world is spinning. The ground rapidly coming forward to meet my face. And then, Isabelle is there. My one and only sister.I embrace her gratefully. She gently smooths my hair away from my face, searching my eyes with growing concern.

“Sicily?! Sicily? Are you alright.” My sister. Even though she has some mental problems, she still cares. Isabelle will always be my sister. She could lose an arm or a leg. I could be put into a position where I would have to spend every waking hour by her side and yet… I still would not care. She has done nothing but look out for me. She even took all of my father’s beatings. I begin to sob.

I sit back on my feet, my knees on the ground. I place my hands on my knees as the hot tears come pouring from my eyes. It’s as if a dam has broken and now matter how hard I try, I can’t control it.
“Izzy.” I hiccup. “I’m so sorry! I’m the one who called the cops when I heard your screams! It’s my fault they locked you and Anna away here! I’m sorry.” The tars continue to pour from my eyes. I can feel my face burning with hatred and disgust. Hatred and disgust for myself. I was twelve. Old enough to understand the importance of family. I was stupid. Stupid and scared.I sold her out. I made her this way. Izzy. My only sister. My only friend. She protected me from the abuse of our father for our entire lives. She would stand in front of me, hands at her side’s fists clenched as if expecting the pain as my father beat her in reckless anger. He would drink an entire pack of beer a day after my mother left. Izzy would take the beatings for me.
She would feed me as was the cause for so many of her beatings. Our father wanted us to starve. Starve and die. She would grab trash from our previous nights dinner if we got any. He would forget to feed us and he took that as an excuse to hurt us. She would sacrifice her own health for my own freedom.
She saved me and this is how I repay her? Izzy cups my chin and looks directly into my eyes. Her eyes are a soft, warm brown. So inviting and kind, it’s easy to forget that she is mentally ill in the first place.
“This is not your fault Sicily.” Izzy says softly. I cry even harder. It’s all my fault! It’s all my fault. Izzy holds me gently to her chest as I sob. Her compassion makes me cry even harder. I’m so upset that I momentarily forget about Anna who comes into the room just then, concern showing plainly in her warm brown eyes. The same as Izzy’s.
“Auntie Sicily?! Are you hurt?” She kneel down in front of me by her mother. They are exactly alike. They may look entirely different but Anna and Izzy couldn’t have more in common. I stand up and wipe my eyes with my sleeve, suddenly embarrassed.
“Let’s go.” I say gruffly not bothering to check to see if Izzy and Anna are following as I walk out of the room. I know they are…
Anna

My mother and I follow Auntie Sicily out of the room. I’m still shocked. I haven’t seen anyone cry before except for my mother. Even those were tears of relief. Sicily was obviously crying t\in sorrow. Is she hurt.?! I look up worriedly at Auntie Sicily. She smiles down at me, her long red hair falling over her face.

“Don’t worry.” She whispers as we near the front and only door of the hospital. “ I promise you we’ll make it out of here okay?” I nod but that’s not what I’m worried about. Auntie Sicily has the oddest expression on her face as if she were in a memory rather than in the present.

My mother grips my hand tightly, no, reassuringly as if I need to be reassured. Reassured about what? We ALL are going to make it out of here. ALL of us, as a family. Somehow I know this is not going to be the case.

A guard stands stiffly at the gate. He looks down, first at me, then at Mommy, then his eyes rest on Sicily. Immediately, his gaze softens. I look at Sicily and realize she is now staring at the guard with a shocking clarity. She must know him then…

“Sicily.” He nods at her. His voice is deep, suggesting his age to be about twenty. He has blond hair with brown hard eyes. His posture is stiff, as though he is always in stress.

“Ralto! You are looking nice today. I was just taking Mad Izzy and Anna out for a breather! May we pass?” Sicily asks sheepishly, no not Sheepish, more… timid?!

“Oh of course you may.” The guard, Ralto I believe what Sicily called him, steps aside. Sicily blushes under his gaze as we pass. What is happening?! As soon as the door opens, cold, strong, wind hit’s my face, making it hard to breathe. I double over, feeling as if someone were turning me inside out. This can’t be just because of the wind. My hands slip out of Auntie Sicily’s and I fall. My back hits the ground with a earsplitting crack to accompany it.

“Anna!” My mother shrieks. My vision swims and it becomes hard to focus. Black specks flood my sight as I strain to regain my focus.

I feel Auntie Sicily pick me up. I hear the sound of multiple feet running, pounding on the ground.

“Let’s go!” Auntie Sicily screams. My eyes shut and my head lolls to the side…

**********

I wake up gasping for air. My clothes are drenched in sweat. My breathing gradually slows, my chest rising methodically in the way my Auntie Sicily taught me to do. These nightmares have been haunting me from ten years. Ten years ever since the night my mother died. She died to save me…

I look over at the nightstand table next to my bed at my alarm clock. Six twenty three… I have about an hour and a half before the bus comes to pick me up for school. I throw the covers off of me and swing my legs off the side of my bed. I walk over to the stand up mirror on the wall opposite from my bed. I stare scornfully at my reflection.

My warm brown eyes widen in disbelief. My long, blond hair, silky and smooth, reaches down my lower back. It’s stick straight and no bang covers my face. My pink tank top and sweats match in color. My pale complexion further emphasis my huge brown eyes. Fifteen years old and I am still only a B-cup. My hips are prominent though. There’s one thing to be proud of. My legs are long and my arms are about average in length. My ears aren’t pierced even though “ALL” the girls in school have them pierced. I want to be unique.

I abandon my mirror, shuck off my clothes once I am in my bathroom, and walk into the shower. I turn the bathtub knob and exhale. I can feel my shoulders relax and loosen. I use both shampoo and conditioner. Then I put a hair up in a bun. I use the combination of my white scrunchie and lily scented body wash. Everything I own smells of lilies. My mother’s middle name was Lily…

I turn off the water and step out as I wrap my “ANGELS” towel around my body. Angels are the theme of my room. My bed is white and soft like a cloud. My walls are mostly blue with about twenty gold feathers falling from the sky on each wall. My carpet is white and also soft. There is a white and gold vanity across from where I sleep on my bed. The mirror is on the wall on the right of my bed, framed in a pattern of white and gold feathers.
Five bookshelves line the corner of the wall between the vanity and the mirror, hand painted white and gold. Hundreds of book line the shelves, most about angels or at least include them. My bathroom is a small room with wall starting at the edge of my vanity and squaring off right at the door to enter my room. There is a short wall connecting the wall that my bed leans again to the wall of the main door.
The bathroom is all white and gold. I have a two in one shower and bathtub against the wall across from the door. The shower curtain is a bunch of feathers making ripples in a pond. The counter tops are white while the actual cabinets are gold. There are two sinks in the counters. There is a wide mirror stretched across and above them. The toilet is next to the counters and is white with a gold handle.
I brush out my hair after taking it out of it’s bun. I put it back up and secure it with a pin… a white pin. I dress in a white and gold swirled tee-shirt with a black impression of a pair angel wings on the front. I tug on navy blue jeans and a pair of white and gold converse shoes. Gold fabric and white soles and laces. I pull on my favorite white hoodie with a pair of gold angel wings with the word “angels” underneath them and walk out the door.

I run down the hallway and the stairs, my feet making soft, thudding noises. My hair bobs up and down in it’s bun. My white, ankle-socks barely visible beneath my converse sneakers. I turn around the right side of the stairs as I reach the bottom of them. I walk down the short hallway to the kitchen. The familiar and sweet smell of apple cinnamon pancakes fills the air. Auntie Sicily’s secret recipe! Yum! I walk slowly into the kitchen.

“Good morning!” I say brightly. Auntie Sicily jumps, sending a pancake flying at my head. My eyes widen. Quickly, Auntie Sicily reaches out with tongs and swiftly catches the pancake squarely in the middle, tongs pointing out. The tongs are so close that I go cross-eyed trying to focus on them.

“That was close.” Auntie Sicily murmured.

: It was also a nice way to jump start my nerves.” I laugh weakly. I hate when this happens. Auntie Sicily always feels awful about endangering me, even things as silly as a pancake landing on my face. Maybe I would do the same if my sister’s only daughter would be my responsibility….except I don’t have a sister, I don’t even have a friend. Why? I’m just not good with people. I prefer my books and drawings.

“ Are you alright Anna?” Auntie Sicily asks, drawing my attention back to the present.

“Hmm? Oh, yeah. I’m fine. Just thinking is all.”

“Is that so?” auntie Sicily smiles knowingly. “ What about?”

“Nothing I guess.” sit down on our breakfast bar and draw invisible circles on our smooth, white marble counter tops absently, mind wandering again. Maybe the reason why I don't have friends is because I’m not very open? I think about my currently drawn up hoodie and smile. Literally not open. I push down my hoodie only long enough to put my hair up into a ponytail before putting it back up again.

Auntie Sicily sets my plate of almond apple cinnamon pancakes with a side of bacon and milk. This breakfast is rather unusual. We only eat it about once a month. It’s the necessary caution for a girl with diabetes. I don’t get to have all the junk food he other girls my age get to and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t feel left out.

“Here, take your metformin.” Auntie Sicily sets a pill on the counter top next to my milk. Metformin is the pill I take to help regulate my blood sugar. I take some to school to, but only for dinner. My school starts at nine am.m and ends at five-thirty. I walk home so I get home at around six. I have lunch as well as dinner at school. My school day is around eight hours just as anyone else’s is. It just starts and ends later.

After breakfast, Auntie Sicily takes my plate.

“Go to school and come right back after your last class. There have been sightings of a cloaked figure.” So. I think. “ Some say he has a knife, or even a gun. Most just say he’s dangerous so stay out of any dark alley ways okay?”

“He? Where have most of these sightings been?” Auntie Sicily gives me one of her infamous “suspicious teenager” eyebrow arches.

“Around Central Park. Why do you ask?”

“Just curious…” I’m totally going to take my camera with me! Look at me! I’m already planning to take pictures of this particularly dangerous guy! I smile. This would be such a great story! I nearly squeal in delight. I clamp my hand over my mouth. Aunt Sicily look me over her suspicion growing.

“I uh…” I start slowly backing out of the room. “Have to go. To school of course! Not to Central Park or anything, and definitely not to see that weirdo!” I smile and wince. So sneaky…

“Huh. I forgot I put my backpack in the living room! Oops. Silly me. Gotta go! Bye!” I rush, words blurring together. I run into the wall just outside the kitchen and turn around, laughing uneasily. I run into the living room, hoping, praying that Aunt Sicily won’t catch me in my scheme.

“Have a good day at school!” Aunt Sicily yells followed by something ending in the words “girl” and “creeps”. I grab my white and school bag throw open the door, and run, closing it behind me, anxious to be free of Auntie Sicily’ suspicions and penetrating stares. I slow into a walk and clutch my sides with my hands. My hood is drawn up against the frigid weather in New York. The leaves on the trees are falling to the round in vivid colors ranging from brown to red and orange. Such a pretty sight for a troubled city like this.

My school is Ridge Way High. It’s a stupid name but they have an amazing art, photography, and writing program. I love writing and I love this class's curriculum but it is the most aristocratic writing programs I have ever been a part of. The entire class, apart from me of course, is just a bunch of rich, snotty, brats who think they own the world and that they are better than anyone else.

My favorite teacher is in that class.her name is Mrs. Neal. She has dark jet-black hair and big, wide, beautiful blue eyes. She is fair-skinned and has pink, full lips. I like to call her “Snow” hence the strong resemblance to the fairy tale character.

I can barely see the rooftops of Ridge Way when a girl comes running down the hill I’m currently standing behind, sobbing. She doesn’t see me in time and she’s moving so fast that I don’t move out of the way in time, in fact, from my perspective she looks like a fiery, spiked blur. The girl barrels straight into me and I fall back, closing my eyes tightly, expecting to hit the ground but instead, I fall through it. When I open my eyes again, I’m laying in the middle of a cemetery.

I sit up groggy and uncomprehending of my immediate surroundings. My eyes widen in shock as I take in the muddy ground, the gray, dull tombstones, and the somber atmosphere. I’m in a cemetery? Many sodden hills surround me, and everything is dark and foggy. No stars fill the sky, adding to the darkness. Where am I?

:You’re in Ridgeway.” A male voice answers cooly. I jump. What I had thought was an angel atop a gravestone is actually a guy. He hops down from the grave. How disrespectful! He wears a hoodie in black and dark blue jeans. “Or at least what it used to look like in the past anyway. What’s your name Princess?” I scowl at him. Princess? And I thought my mother was crazy!

“First, I will know yours.” He bows deeply.

“My sincerest apologies Princess. I am Kyle Montorage, Your loyal guard. You’re Princess Annalain Maria Colle. I have come to bring you to your kingdom of darkness.” Kyle bends back up and his hoodie falls from his head, exposing his face. He is fair-skinned with hair as dark as the night-sky and eyes even darker still.

I stare dumbfounded by his beauty. He looks as sharp and as delicate as glass and yet, something about Kyle screams dark, and frightening. Something I’m about to explore… Quickly, I bring out my camera and catch a few photo’s of him and his perfection. He’s so still…

“Ow! My eyes! They are burning! What kind of treachery is this?! Dammit.” I giggle. What is up with this guy?

“It’s called a camera.” I say in between bouts of raucous laughter. “You use it to take pictures. See!” I walk over to Kyle cautiously and click through the photos on my white and gold digital camera until I reach the couple I just took.

The odd fog and moonlight in the graveyard made it easier to capture Kyle’s odd and striking beauty. I look up at Kyle as he stares intently at the small device in my hand. It’s still not quite like the real thing tough… Kyle reminds me of a raven, sleek, beautiful, cautious,yet deadly. I stare at the camera for a little while longer before looking back up at Kyle only this time, he’s staring right back at me with the oddest expression on his face.

“What!” I ask flustered

“May I take one? A picture? Of you?” I stare at him, entrance by his steady flow of words. Where did this come from?

“S-Sure.” I stutter. I hand the camera to Kyle silently. I stand awkwardly in front of him, now self-conscious. I stick my tongue out at the camera just as he takes the shot.

“Ummm… I think I messed the picture up somehow.” Kyle says with uncertainty.

“Here… Let me see…” I gently pull the camera out of his hands, careful not to touch him. I look down at the photo.

The shot is perfectly… wow. The picture is perfect. Nothing is blurred. I look goofy because my eyes are crossed and my tongue is sticking out but I did that on purpose.

“What’s wrong with it???” I ask, confused. He points to me.

“I didn’t capture your beauty, just like you said. A camera doesn’t quite capture the real thing.” I blush. I never said that though. I only thought it.

“Okay… How did you know that?” Kyle stares at me as if I’m a moron. I can feel my face burn in embarrassment.

“You said so?” Kyle says, now more confused than anything.

“No… I thought it.” Relief flashes over Kyle’s face. What? I need to get out of here.

“No. You’re not going anywhere until you at least see to your kingdom of the dark. We have been waiting for you… Princess.” Kyle grabs my arm roughly. Panic shows freely on my face now.

“Let me go!” I scream. Kyle laughs.

“You actually might want to hold on.”

“What?! I-” As suddenly as Kyle had appeared, he spreads his wings and takes off from the ground. He holds my arm tightly and I immediately wrap them around his neck. I feel my throat close up with the pure shock of this moment.

I can’t speak. I can’t scream… I tear my eyes forcefully away from the rapildy receding ground and focus them past Kyle’s shoulder. All I can see are black feathers. They look so elegant, and graceful. So soft and smooth. So soft…

“Ow!” Kyle smacks my hands away from his black wings just as I was about to touch them. “What is wrong with you?!”

“A Death Demon’s wings aren’t an art gallery. Touch them and you die.” I start to laugh but then take one look at Kyle’s serious expression and stop. Okay then…

“Literally, you will die. I can find many ways to kill you. I will even let you choose one if you want. Decapitation, drowning, amputation… Oh! And death by arsenic too! That’s a method I tend to thoroughly enjoy..” I remain silent.

“Ummm… Can you put me down? Please? Like, right now?” Kyle’s brows shoot up, as though surprised.

“Was it something I said?” Creepy and stupid…

“Not stupid. I am actually quite intelligent. I know everything about death. How to fake a suicide when it is really a homicide and vice-versa. I know where to bury the deceased and where to murder the living. I know how and what to tell the investigators of my faked innocence. I also know how to read minds. Yours is hard to read. Your memories I mean. Your first and foremost thoughts I can see easily but your past is and will remain aggravatingly distant. I can’t even detect them. It’s like someone put a block in your mind. But no. I’m not stupid.”

“You never denied the creepy part. Why not?” I ask wonderingly.

“I don’t have to.” He flashes a brilliant smile at me. “I know it’s true.” I hide a smile of my own.

“So where is this so-called n”Palace of Darkness”?”

“First of all, I said Kingdom of Darkness, not Palace. Second, it’s in the dark regions. Your kind like to call it Hell.” Kyle grimaces as though he loathes the name.

“Oh. Do I get a palace though? I’m not damned or anything right? And why do you have wings?” I ask hastily. Kyle smiles widely.

“Okay. Well… You do get a palace but only if you decide to stay and rule as our eternal Princess. No, you’re not damned. You are only the Princess of the Dark because you were born with that chosen destiny. I have wings because, as I have mentioned before, I am a demon. Anymore questions, Princess?” I scowl at him.

“No, but I do have a request.”

“Oh? And that is…”

“Stop calling me Princess.” I reply, cautious.

“As you wish, Princess.” Kyle smirks as though he can tell I have a “passionate hate” for the name. Then again… he probably can.

“WHAT! What the-” I look up at the towering building before me. It’s completely black with tinted windows and dark spires that seem to go on forever into the sky.

“That is the East Wing.” Kyle says, pointing to my left. “And there is the West.” He finishes, pointing to his right.

“It looks like a prison cell. Is this my palace?” I say, looking at Kyle curiously.

“A prison cell? Is that what you use to safely keep away the damned from the public?” Kyle’s eyes are confused and I almost laugh.
“Sort of. We don’t really have damned though, just criminals.” I walk cautiously uo to the palace. my palace. I correct myself. I take out my camera and snap many pictures of my possibly new home.

“How interesting.” I inspect the walls of the palace curiously. “It looks transparent, as though I can just put my hand right through and-”

“No don’t!” I had already put my hand through the wall. “Oh great.” Kyle sighs, seemingly exasperated. I squeal in delight.

“Cool! Can I do that with my whole body?!” I ask Kyle excitedly.

“Yes but don’t-crap.” I put half of my body inside the black wall. Awesome! I attempt to remove myself from the wall, but fail. I begin to panic.

“I’m stuck!” I yell.

“I told you not to do that, Princess.” I grimace. Kyle walks over to me, calm as ever.”Grab my hand.” I do as I am told. As soon as I touch his hand, I leap further back into the wall.

“Oh shiz. I mean, oops,” I exclaim awkwardly.

“Goody two shoes are we?” Kyle raises his brow as if surprised.

“And what if I am?” I say, tone sassy, trying to get rid of the image Kyle has already built of me being a goody-goody. He smirks. “Can you get me out already?!”

“I can’t. It’s voice activated. The security I mean.” Kyle says.

“What do you mean? Do people try to steal things?”

“No, not steal. I believe the correct term is to commit murder.”

“MURDER?! Murder who?!” I ask, frightened.

“The Princess which is technically… you.”

Okay… So what’s the password?”

“Kyle is sexy.” He says with a small grin.

“Conceded are we?” I flush a deep crimson. “Go on then! Say it!”

“Can’t. Cough, cough. My voice is failing. I fear for my health. You have to say it.”
“NO! I refuse. You can’t make me do anything!” I yell stubbornly.
“Okay then. I f you want to stay stuck in a wall for the rest of your life then be my guest. You will be Princes of the wall, or at least the left portion of it anyway.” Kyle’s eyes alight with amusement.
“NO! Please! Just help me out.”
“I can’t. Only the Princess herself can open it with her own voice.” Anger rises in me like an inferno. Why is he doing this to me?! I exhale finally, defeated.
“Fine. Kyle is sexy.” I wait, and wait, for something to happen. But nothing does… Kyle struggles to hold back his laughter. He’s enjoying this?! I scowl.
“Well. I’m certainly glad you think so but that’s not the real password.”
“WHAT THE HELL!!!!!! What’s wrong with you!” My face is completely red with both anger and embarrassment. Goody two shoes be damned. “I’m going to murder you! Get me out of here now! That is an order.” By the looks of Kyle’s face, he is truly surprised, but his eyes only tell me he is proud. Proud of who? What? Probably his”sexiness.”
“As you wish… Princess…” I can feel the walls releasing me backwards. I feel something pulling me back. I fall, fast and far, through the ground again. Kyle’s soft laughter fades into the incoming darkness.
“Hello? Hello?! Are you okay? If you are then blink. Open your eyes! JUST DO SOMETHING DAMMIT!”
I open my eye groggily to see a girl with short spiky hair that appears to be ablaze. I giggle.
“You're pretty, like an angel in disguise. Are you here to protect me?” I smile. The girl gives me an are you stupid or crazy?, look.
“Okay then… My name is Esmer and this here is my bestest friend Madison. She’s actually my little sister.” I turn my head slowly to stare at the girl to Esmer’s right. Madison…
Where Esmer is light, with bright green eyes and fiery short hair with a pale complexion, Madison is all dark. Her complexion is lovely caramel. Her eyes as dark and unweilding as coal. Her hair is long and curled and a nice, dark, bronze. They are complete opposites and yet, there is something in the way they both look down at me with twin expressions… They are identical… I realize with a start.
“There is only five seconds seperating our age, sister.” Madison adds in a calm, simple tone. Her eyes stare at me suspiciously. I squirm, obviously uncomfortable. Normally when I act crazy, people go away. Why won’t they? “Come on.” Madison and Esmer say at the same time as they help me to my feet.
“We don’t want to be late!” Esmer adds alarmingly.
“That, sister, is a correct assumption. Madison adds, once again, calm. I walk with Madison and Esmer to Ridgeway, confused. I feel like I was just here, only I didn’t have a choice, and someone else was here with me… I try desperately to hold on to the fading memory but it disappears, slipping through my fingertips like smoke.