Walking Down The Yellow LIne | Teen Ink

Walking Down The Yellow LIne

By jozyjay BRONZE, pawnee city, Nebraska
jozyjay BRONZE, Pawnee City, Nebraska
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

My mother used to say the most exciting race is when you watch the raindrops race down your window. All because a random drop you didn't even know was racing could win. This was one time I would disagree.

All this did was make me sadder as I sat in the social workers car. We pulled into a long drive way ,and I tried to hid the tears that escaped my eyes silently.

My jaw dropped when I saw the towering 5 story house become a giant in my view. I sighted a giant pool surrounded with tanning chairs jetting out from the deck of the house. My eyes were well glued. It was breath taking. The black Mercedes then came to a stop and I jumped at the sound of Sandy's voice. "You just stay put and let me go talk to the Daniels for a minute then I will come get you to get your bags." She said with that peppy voice she always had every time I saw her. I watched as her perfectly sculpted bun bounced to the front a big door making Sandy look like an ant in comparison. She hit a small button and began to speak. I couldn't quite figure out what she was saying but soon a larger lady in an apron appeared at the door. She smiled politely and motioned for her to go inside. I looked around a little more. The driveway had went through a round about circle with pretty tulips in the middle.

I observed the scenery a little longer when all the sudden I heard a knock on the window causing me to jump. I opened the car door to Sandy who motioned for me to get out. "So this man will get your bags and you just need to follow me inside." She said as I was just then noticing the man standing in front of me taking the keys from Sandy. We walked to the house and I was greeted by the same aproned lady as I had seen before welcome in Sandy.

"I'm Marybeth it is such an honor to meet you."she said extending her hand for me to shake.

"I'm Terra." I said meekly shaking her hand. As I did so, two people appeared in the doorway.

"Terra this is the Daniels. As I explained before you will be staying with them. This is Brooke and Tyler."

"Hi, it is so nice to meet you." Brooke said coming and giving me a hug. I stood there awkward not sure what to do.

" Brooke your smothering the girl already." Tyler said with a smirk. He reminded me of my dad so much. Making me want to cry. I bit my lip trying to rid the tears forming in my eyes. I was not crying in Front of them.

"Well, now that all the paperwork is done, I need to be going." Sandy exclaimed as she walked out the door shutting it behind her.

"You know this is a really big house for just two of you." I stated confused at the largeness.

"Oh, silly girl, there is 14 of us. We have 12 kids." Brooke replied nonchalantly like it was no big thing at all.

"12 kids?" I was shocked. 12 kids. 12 of them.

"Yeah let's go to the kitchen and I will buzz them all to come. " she said with a smile and I followed her with silence still shocked. I was met by a plate of cookies held by Marybeth.

"You might want to grab one now before all the kids come." She warned. I grabbed one of the chocolate chip cookies and took a bite. I was like eating heaven it tasted amazing. "Good huh?" She asked grinning.

"Yeah" I said stunned. It was broke by the voice of Brooke.

"Kitchen now, cookies and a surprise." She explained into the small speaker on the wall. Soon, I swore it was a heard of elephants coming through the hallway. They all stopped in the kitchen at the sight of me.

"So who is the hot chick?" A boy looking around fourteen Fifteen asked.

"Michael Daniels." Brooke warned. "Everyone this is Terra. She will be staying with us for a awhile. Please line up oldest to youngest and introduce yourself."

"Then do we get a cookie?" A little Hispanic girl asked.

"Yes, then you get a cookie." Marybeth replied with a smile.

"Well, I'm Josh. 22 years old and only living here for a couple weeks until I go back to college." Said a tall buffed up blonde boy. He grabbed a cookie and darted for the door. "Got to go to work. Bye mom." He yelled over his shoulder.

"I'm Hayden, 21 years old in college so yeah Love to stay and chat but I have class." He said adjusting his backpack as he grabbed a cookie and left.

"I'm Preston. 18 years old and well that's it." He said glancing around as he sat at the counter eating his cookie. He was thin average height with deep, deep blue eyes.

"Name is James Tyler , most people call me JT and that is Tyler John, we call him TJ. We are 17 He doesn't talk much around girls." A brown haired boy stated. Standing next to him was a blushing boy looking identical to him. That will be confusing.

"Hey, I'm Britt. 17 years old and sadly their triplet. If you need anything let me know. My door is always open." A short brown haired girl said with a smile. She literally looked like a girl version of the other boys.

"I'm Cutter. 16 and you know I have been told I'm not good help. Just putting that out there." He said said with a quirky grin. He was defiantly the cutest. He looked like a younger cuter version of Their father.

"I probably shouldn't have to tell you this but I'm Michael 12 and you are attractive." The boy I recognized earlier said earning him a smack upside the head by Britt.

"My name is Ava and I love cookies. Oh and I'm six" the little Hispanic girl said with a grin quickly grabbing a cookie. She looked different that the rest of the children.

"I'm Carson . I'm five." A little boy said holding up four fingers causing me to giggle.

"I'm Tyson and Marybeth makes good cookies. I'm 3."

"Hold on where is Cole?" Brooke asked confused causing a giggle to appear on Carson's face.

"He is uh napping" Carson said as Brooke gave hime the stare down.

"What do you mean napping?" Brooke questioned seeing through his lie.

"He is napping with Talya." Carson said raising his shoulders causing Brooke to get furious.

I watched her stomp over to the speaker and scream, "Cole Lucas Daniels you get your but down here and bring Tayla too!"

"Who is Cole and Tayla?" I asked.

"Cole is my twin and Tayla is his fling of the week." One boy answered I think his name was Cutter, but I wasn't certain."

"Can someone please take Terra up to her room. It is the third floor guest room." Brooke said getting visually more frustrated.

"I'll take her." Britt said with a smile. "It is right next to my room." I followed Brooke to the stairs that led to an elevator. She pressed the up button."so how long you going to be staying with us?" She asked.

"I don't know..." I said as grief began to sneak back in.

"Oh, we'll as long as you are here my door is always open. I mean always. We finally have a girl that isn't six or 46. It is a blessing." She said visibly changing the subject. But I didn't mind.

When the elevator doors opened, there stood a shirtless blonde boy with his hair in a mess. "Cole, mom is furious right now."

"I know" he said rolling his eyes then spotting me. "Wait, who is this?" He questioned.

"Her name is Terra she is going to be staying with us for awhile." Britt explained.

"How old are you?" He asked questionably.

"16" I said causing a smile to form on his face.

"Perfect. Anyway how did mom find out about Tayla?" He asked Britt.

"She interrogated Carson. Who thinks you were 'napping together'" she explained raising an eyebrow. "Speaking if Tayla. Where is she?"

"Getting clothes on." He explained casually. "Well wish me luck and I will defiantly be seeing you later." He said with a wink.

This was going to get some getting used too....

I heard the alarm blare waking me from my deep sleep. It was just a dream I thought myself. This was all just a dream. I looked around at the zebra print covered room and remembered this wasn't a dream. Mom and Dad are gone who knows where. I am trapped in a house with 14 complete strangers in Florida far away from Montana. This was a nightmare. A nightmare right now I was forced to call my life.

I shut off the alarm and got out of my bed onto the turquoise rug. I looked around and observed my room again. The walls were blue with zebra trim. My bed spread was Zebra with white carpet covering the floor. I had a turquoise desk in the corner and a couch matching that on the opposite wall. There was a walk in closet my clothes didn't even fill. Next to that was a door leading into a bathroom I had to myself that matched my room.

I stepped into my closet and pulled on a pair of running shorts and a cut off. I slid on my shoes and snuck out my door. It was early so I tried to be silent as possible as I reached the steps I saw a glance of a girl my age slipping out of a room. She stopped in her tracks when she caught sight of me. SHe began biting her lip nervously. "Who are you and what are you doing here?" She asked questionably.

"Terra , I am staying here for awhile and you are?" I asked.

"Tayla, and you didn't see me got it?" She answered getting snarky. This Cole kid really picked a winner.

"Got it" I replied rolling my eyes. Next thing I knew she was gone. I shrugged my shoulders and began down the victorian styled stairs quietly avoiding the elevator. Half way down I heard the sound of a door and froze. I looked down the stairs and saw a boy about my age dressed in running clothes exiting his room. I stood there dead until he was out of sight and went down more steps. I assumed this was the second floor. So I then tried to find the steps leading to the first floor.

"You lost?" The brown haired boy asked scaring me half to death.

"Yeah...How do I get outside?" I asked embarrassed as my cheeks flooded red.

"Follow me. Don't know if you remember me but I'm TJ." He stated seeing my eeriness. I then remembered who he was.

"Oh, wait I thought you didn't talk around girls." I asked remembering what his brother had said.

His cheeks went crimson.

"Normally, I don't but you seem a little lost. So you run? I knows some pretty great paths if you want I could show you." He suggested. For being someone who doesn't talk he was pretty friendly.

"Sure." I said realizing this was probably a good idea because I get lost very easily. He showed me the way outside and we both stretched so we didn't pull any muscles. We started at a nice easy going pace along a trail lined by trees. It was beautiful scenery. With flowers everywhere.

"So, you going to be staying here long?" He asked curious.

"I don't know. Family troubles at home and apparently our parents were good friends so they shipped me here until everything is ok again." I responded being vague. I didn't want everyone to know why I was here.

"Oh, I Guess that makes sense. So you seem to be getting along really well with Britt." He stated.

"She seems nice and friendly." I replied I didn't know her real well to know what I really thought of her.

"Yeah, if you love her you will love my girlfriends Haley." He stated with a grin.

"I thought you didn't talk to girls." I said messing with him.

"I have known her since I was little. She is best friends with Britt so it is a definite exception there."

"Is she pretty?" I asked making conversation.

"Yeah, she is beautiful we have been dating for a 2 and 1/2 years now." He stated proudly.

"Wow! That's a long time." I answered shocked.

"Had a crush on her since I was 5. So there any special guy in your life?"

"No, I just got out of a pretty bad break up. Kind of avoiding the whole dating scene right now." I explained.

"What happened?"

"We were dating for about six months and then he cheated on me. When I dumped him, he started stalking me."

"You had a stalker?" He asked shocked.

"Still do, only thing is now it is just from a far because he can't get within 100 feet of me. I guess it kind of stopped but sometimes I think I still see him behind every corner I turn. It is just me being paranoid." I explained.

"We'll at least now he won't know where you are at. Where were you from anyway?"

"Montana." I explained.

"That is a long way from here in Florida."

"I know most of what I own is clothes for the cold and it is so hot here." I joked.

"Well you might just have to go shopping with Britt then. She can't even fit her clothes in her closet." He kidded.

We ran for a few about 5 miles and ended back at the house going back and forth jokes and funny stories. I established that TJ was going to be a good friend to have in this house. When we returned back to the house it was about 8:30. When we entered the kitchen. We were greeted by the bright smile of Marybeth.

"So, what is for breakfast?" TJ asked.

"Waffles and fruit." She said setting down two plates in front of us. They both had two large waffles and a small cup of fruit. It looked really good. "Weird Normally at this time in the morning Coles girl of the week is trying to sneak home and is coming through the kitchen. What is this weeks girls name?" She asked.

"Tayla and I saw her earlier." I stated grinning.

"Early riser then. I had waffles set aside just for her. What a shame? I thought we taught Cole to have more respect for girls than this." She said shaking her head.

"Maybe they sat up all night talking or as Cole told Carson napping." TJ said sarcastically.

"Well Cole 'naps' with way too many girls. One of these times he is going to get himself in some serious trouble." Marybeth announced

"That's is what I told him. But he never listens to his cousin." He stated.

"Wait I thought he was your brother?" I asked

"No he is my cousin. His parents died when he was about 3 so him and Cutter came and lived with us." TJ explained.

"I guess that makes sense why they don't look like the rest of you."

"Why my mother wanted 5 three year olds at once is still a mystery." TJ joked.

"It's because she knew she had the best sister to help!" Marybeth announced.

"Wait. So your his aunt?" I asked confused.

"Yeah she is our aunt, gourmet chef, nanny, housekeeper. You name it she is it." He said shoveling in more waffles to his face. Marybeth just rolled her eyes.

"So where-"Marybeth started and was cut off by the sound of footsteps stomping into the kitchen. When I looked over there stood a shirtless Cutter. I fought my jaw from dropping. He looked drop dead gorgeous. His hair was in a slight mess and he was wearing a pair of black baskeball shorts. I had to stop myself from staring too hard. "Morning sleepy head."Marybeth greeted.

"Morning. What's for breakfast?" He asked sleepily.

"Waffles and fruit." she answered rather chipper.

"Can I just have some yogurt." he replied sounding miserable.

"Still sick? Let me check your temperature." Sh answered going to the bathroom to get a thermometer.

"Terra isn't it?" Cutter asked turning to me.

"Yeah." I replied swallowing my waffle.

"Trust me, normally I don't look this bad just the past couple days I have felt like hell" well if this is him looking bad I would love to know what him looking good looked like."Doesn't help that my lovely room neighbor never sleeps. Is up all night how does he put it 'getting to know the girls at our school'. He doesn't quiet know how to do that silently at 2 in the morning."

"Wow, Cole must really be as terrible as everyone has said he is." I answered shocked.

"Don't get me wrong, he is a cool dude to hang with ,but he goes through girls like kleenexes." Cutter defended.

"So I have heard." I answered just as Marybeth entered the room with a thermometer and put it in Cutters ear. Soon after it beeped.

"101.1. Here is you yogurt and a spoon. Now go back up to bed." she ordered.

"Yes ma'am." He said and moped out of the kitchen slowly.

"That was Cutter right?" I asked as soon as he was out of ear range.

"Yeah" TJ answered.

"I'm not good at remembering peoples names. Not really my strong point." I admitted.

"It is ok you will get the hang of it eventually." Marybeth smiled.

I really hope so.....

So, Terra, I think it is time we discus the whole school thing. Since it is kind of unknown how long you will be staying here, I would like to enroll you in school here in Palmera. It is the same one as my kids go to and it is a really great school. Now, I asked your old school to send over your transcripts. If all goes as plans, you will be starting on Monday." Brooke explained with a smile as we sat at the kitchen counter eating lunch. That's is when it really hit me. We don't know when or even if they will ever find my parents.

"Terra is starting school here?" TJ popped in as he slid into the bar stool next to me.

"Yeah, she should start Monday." Brooke answered smiley.

"Who starts What Monday?" Preston asked.

"Obviously Britt on her period. Thank you for the warning!"'Michael said as the two boys sat down.

"I am not starting my period yet!" Britt defended smacking Michael in the back of the head as she passed by him to sit down.

"Oh that is right, Britt is already on her period!" He responded causing us to go up in giggles.

"I am not!" She screamed at him.

"Whatever you say!" JT responded with a smirk.

"Yo, why are we discussing periods?" The infamous Cole asked as he entered the room shirtless might I add. Does any of them own a shirt?

"We aren't we are discussing when Terra starts school, and did you just get up?" Brooke inquired.

"Maybe, and when does she start?" He asked coming up behind me and scooting uncomfortably close.

"Monday and can you please step away, you smell like a garbage truck." I said referring to his terrible smell causing everyone to laugh uncontrollably. He stepped away with a fake hurt expression on his face.

"Now babe, that was rude." Cole stated.

"I am not your babe. No wonder Tayla left so early this morning you reek." I answered. I knew the only way to fit in was to joke like the rest.

"Tayla was here?"Brooke said standing up and crossing her arms.

"Would you like some ice for that burn?" Michael spat through all of his laughter. Cole did a little fake laugh grabbed an apple from the counter and left the room.

"Woah, who ruined Cole's ego? " Cutter asked as he walked in missing everything that had just happened. He looked like he was feeling better than this morning.

"That would be my new favorite person Terra." Britt said smiling.

"Nice." He high fives me and sits on my other side.

"She was already my favorite." Michael announced wiggling his eyebrows.

"Gross" I fake puked.

"You know you want this! Just give into the temptation." Michael said trying to show off his muscles.

"I think this is more than a mother needs to know I am out!" She said putting her plate from lunch in the sink and heading up the stairs.

"How long has mom been here?" Cutter asked.

"The whole time. Discussing when Terra goes to school." TJ said. I had forgot he was even there. They were right he was quiet.

"When do you start school?" Cutter asked. Staring at me with a smirk.

"Monday." I stated popping another grape in my mouth.

"Nice, maybe, I could help show you around." Cutter suggested.

"Maybe."

"Oh, Terra, I made you a map of the house. So you know you don't get lost again like this morning." TJ butted in handing me a nicely draw map in a crumpled piece of paper.

"Thank you, but I was not that lost." I defended. I was very, very lost.

"You almost opened Preston's door." TJ stated. He did have a point there.

"Wait what?" Preston looked around confused.

"Your sign fell off." TJ responded as if answering some secret question. I looked down at the map. First floor was the kitchen, the dining room,study, and the Family living room. Second floor was Preston , TJ, Cutter and JT's rooms. Third floor was mine ,Cole, Britt, Hayden, and Josh's rooms. Fourth floor was Ava, Tyson, Carson, and Michael's rooms. There is a play room i assumed for the little kids.Fifth Floor was Brooke and Tyler's room. Plus a game room, a music room, and an art studio. This really was a big house.

"Wow, this is a big house." I stated. "What is all the stuff outside?"

"We have a pool, a barn with some horses, some 4 wheelers and dirt bikes." Cutter explained with a smug smirk on his face.

"Wow." Was all I could say.

"I could show you if you would like." Cutter offered.

"You are not showing anyone anything Mr." Marybeth stated walking in.

"Come on, I feel fine!" He complained.

"I don't care bed rest for the day." She said pointing upstairs.

"Rain check?" He asked me.

"Sure." I answered smiling. Did he just ask me on a date? He gave me a wink and headed out the store. I smiled once more and popped back into reality.

"So, where you from?" Michael asked changing the subject.

"Montana." I replied

"Wow, long way away." Preston replied shocked.

"So how did our parents know each other?" Britt asked.

"I have absolutely no idea." I answered honestly. Before the social worker said I was living with the Daniels for awhile, I had never heard of the last name.

"Well, what are your plans for the rest of the day?" Britt questioned.

"Umm, nothing really since TJ has decided to abandoned me for the afternoon." I said. I had literally spent the morning hanging with him, but he had plans with Haley for the afternoon.

"Haley will kill me if I cancel on her today." He defended laughing.

"She probably will. You should come to the mall with me. TJ was just saying how you have only like clothes for the cold." Britt suggested.

"I'm not much of a shopping kind of girl." I admitted.

"Well it is decides. You are coming with me!" She announced Getting up and handing her plate to Marybeth. "Be ready in an hour!" She shouted over her shoulder as she skipped out the room.

"We'll this bites!" I answered slumping down in my seat.

"I thought you liked Britt." TJ asked confused.

"I do, I just really hate shopping" I said causing them all to laugh as I put my head on the counter. Let the torture began.....

One breathe, two breath, three breath. I thought to myself. It was a trick my mom use to have us do when we got nervous. I slung over my book bag over my shoulder and looked in the mirror one more time. I was wearing the silver sequined tank top and white shrug paired with a pair of white shorts that Britt had bought for me when we went shopping. Here goes nothing. I took out the map and navigated myself downstairs to the kitchen. Different frequencies filled my nose the nearer I got. "Well something smells delicious!" I announced as I walked in.

"Thank you, my famous six cheese breakfast burritos." Marybeth stated proudly setting down a plate in front of me.

"They taste amazing." I said stuffing my face with a fork full of cheesy goodness.

"Yeah they do, but she only makes them on special occasions." Preston announced."so you nervous for your first day?"

"Yeah. Never been good at making friends." I admitted sheepishly. It was the truth.

"You will do fine. I wish I could tell you just stay around Cutter and Cole, but I want you to have a good first day not be known as the school sleaze." He joked with a hint of seriousness.

"So stay far away from them? That won't be hard." I kidded.

"Not so much Cutter, more of Cole."he defended.

"What about me?" Cutter asked coming in and plopping down in the bar stool next to me. "Ooo, Marybeth burritos. My favorite."

" Preston was just telling me to stay away from you at school." I tattled letting out a small giggle.

"Really why is that?" He questioned with a smile.

"Because you hang with Cole." Preston said raising an eyebrow.

"Not all the time." He defended. Just then I thought there was a stampede down the steps running into the kitchen.

"Ok, everyone in the dining room. We have some things that need to be discussed while you all eat." Brooke commanded as everyone grabbed a plate. Preston, Cutter ,and me picked ours up and walked into the gigantic dining room. With a table to hold about 20 people. We all slid into our seats and waited patiently to hear the announcements. Once everyone was seated, Brooke stood up and clapped her hands." Okay since we now have one more body to take to school, we need to do some readjusting. Hayden I am going to need you to take Tyson to preschool and Carson and Ava to the elementary. Josh I am going to need you to drop Michael off at the middle school on your way to work. Preston I want you to take Cutter, Cole, Terra, and Britt. TJ and JT you can ride together. Work ok?" She asked more as a statement than a question.

" yeah" we all said in unison. We finished off our breakfasts, and piled outside to the cars. Preston drove a black mercadies. Nicely polished and shinned. Looked like brand new. Preston slid into the drivers seat easily. Just as Cole reached for the passenger door. Preston yelled. "Terra gets shot gun!"

"What? Why?" Cole asked visually getting irritated.

"Because she is our guest?" Preston said raising his eyebrows.

"Whatever" Cole replied rolling his eyes than giving me the glare. I slid into the front seat and admired the dark leather apoles try. It was beautiful.

"You like? I call her Carmen." Preston announced with pride. "She is my baby."

"Probably the only girl that will ever like him" Cole mumbled.

"Ha, ha" Preston said dryly and rolled his eyes. "Good one."

"So, you know where you are suppose to go when you get to school?" Britt asked brightly changing the subject.

"Nope." I said embarrassed. I had never even thought of that.

" you will go to the office get your class schedule, locker assignment, and all that junk." She explained.

"One question, where is the office?" I asked sheepishly.

"I'll show you." Cutter offered as we pulled up to the high school.

"I think I'll find my way." I said getting out of the car. When I went to grab my bag, it was swooped up out of the seat by Cole. "Cole, give back my bag!"

"Not until me and Cutter walk you to the office." Cole answered slugging it over his shoulder.

"Great get to walk through school my first day and be known as a sleaze. Just my luck!" I responded sarcastic.

"We'll if your gonna do it, better do it right." Cutter said swinging his arm over my shoulder. As we walked to the office, I shook it off trying not to be noticed. "Well here we are!"

"I can take it from here." I said putting out my hand."book bag now!" I demanded

"Now, now princess. Don't be so touchy." Cole mocked a smug look on his face.

"I'm not your princess" I growled grabbing my bag.

"We'll than!" Cole defended walking down the hall with his signature smirk.

"You can go Cutter. I will be fine." I announced.

"Nah." He replied with a smile. I rolled my eyes and walked over to the wooden desk. Behind it was an over sized lady resembling a witch."Terra Newman. I'm new."

"Oh, let me see. I just had your stuff." She confessed rumbling threw the mess on her desk of papers and sticky notes. "Here you go!" She replied handing me a packet of papers."enjoy your first day."

I looked over the paper carefully. Locker 219. Just than, the papers were ripped from my grasp. "Locker 219, I know where that is at. Lets see we have one, two, three, four. Four classes together. Rest are all smarty classes." He announced nudging my shoulder.

"One question. Where is locker 219?" I asked as my cheeks turned crimson with embarresed ment.

"I'll show you, come on follow me." he said with a devious grin on his face. I followed him to my locker getting glares from girls watching him lead me."Well first hour we have seperate and I have to get to class." he confessed itchin the back of his neck. "Can you find your first class?"

"Advanced biology. I think I can find it ok?" I said questionably looking at the map.

"Good luck!" he said slinging his bag a little farther on his shoulder as we walked away with a smarty grin.

I shoved my bag in my locker and grabbed out a notebook and my laptop. I proceeded to scan my map intently. If I wasn't mistaken. I should just be going down the hall. Why didn't I ask cutter for directions? I slammed shut my locker and lingered down the hall way avoiding 'new girl' stares. When I got to the mahogany door,I took another deep breathe. I must have been standing there in front of the door for awhile, because soon a tall boy lightly tapped on my shoulder. "are you okay?" he asked brushing his hair out of his face.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I replied sheepishly.

"You sure because you have been standing in front of the door for awhile?" he informed.

"Sorry" I said opening up the door.

"It's fine. I'm Flynn."

"My name's New" I said stupidly. He was gorgeous. "I mean I'm terra. I'm new."

"Figured. Might me kind of weird to have a name new." he joked sleaking into a desk. I gracefully slid into the one next to his like it was something natural. "so where you from?"

"Montana" I confessed squirming a little as I thought about my mom and dad.

"What made you come clear to Florida?"he asked shocked at the answer I had replied.

"Family friends that I'm staying with." I vaguley explained. Goal is to not let people know about the disappearance. I don't want the sympathy stares from everyone in this place.

"Oh, I see. Well few pointers. Most of the girls you will see will be wearing thier skirts 2 sizes to small hiked up leaving no imagination, and avoid any of the girls sitting overthere." he explained gesturing to the group of girls giggling and fawning over the boys in the back of the room. I recognized Tayla right away and she must of saw me too. I was getting daggers right through the eyes. I turned my head away."What? you already make one mad?" he questioning looking back and forth.

"Yeah, cau-" I started then paused. "I bumped into the blonde in the halls." I lied.

"Ooo, Tayla. Good luck with that one. Cheerleader. Kind of Cliche ,but you know. She has probably been with every guy in this school. Right now I think she is with Cole Danelis, but that doesn't mean much. Probably will be over today with his track record. Avoid him at all cost. Trust me when I say bad news."

"Why?" I asked curious.

"Can't stay with a girl longer than a week. When he is with them, he is with everyother girl and treats them terribly. All the Daniels are just not good news. So, I would stay away from them." he proclaimed grimancing.

"That might be kind of difficult for me." I admitted.

"Whys that?"

"I live with them." I announced as shock crossed his face.

"Well I must seem insanely jerking then." I said smacking himself in the head.

"It's fine. From what I have seen, you are right on the spot with Cole."

"I'm so sorry. So why are you staying with them?" he questioned.

"Our parents were really good friends in high school." I vaguely replyed.

"Oh, I see." he said dropping the subject as the bell rang causing me to jump a little. what a great first day...

I grabbed my lunch out and slammed my locker shut looking at my schedule one last time. Lunch. This was the hour I had been dreading all day. Suddenly a fimiliar voice sounded behind me. "Hey babe."

"Cole, I thought we had an arrangement. EVerywhere I go you go the oppisite way." I joked closing my locker.

"Come on babe. At least let me walk you to lunch." he said slinging his arm over me. I shook it off.

"Lets not and say you didn't" I smiled and minovorured my way through the doors to the lunch room leaving him in the hall. As I opened the metal doors I stared at already formed cliques sitting at thier own precise tables. There was so many little groups of different types of people.My eyes landed on Britt who had already spotted me and was motioning for me to go over there."Hey" i said sheepishly sliding into a seat next to hers. All around the table were strangers giving me weird looks.

"Everyone this is Terra. The girl I was telling you about."Britt announced. "Terra, this is Haley, TJs girlfriend." she said pointing to a blonde girl resembling Britt in a way. Tj was right she was really pretty. "This is Austin, and thats Hudson" She motioned towards a red headed boy leaning up against a blonde girl with curly hair and a smile. "Oh and that's Brent"she continued pointing to a boy casually drawing in his sketch book. "And well you already know JT" I smiled awkwardly and gave a slight wave.

I watched TJ walk over and give a light kiss on Haleys lips causing her cheeks to go a pretty shade of pink. "ew, no PDA" Hudson said flingin her potato chips at the two of them.

"Think I could say the same." Haley joked gesturing towards her and Austin.This caused them to scoot away from each other and a blush to wash across both of thier faces both matching the same shade of pink. Everyone laughed at the sudden wide space that had formed between them and how thier body's were slowly closing the gap back up again.

"So where is Cutter and Cole?" i asked questioning as I looked around the cafeteria.

"Well, Cole is probably trying to find another fling. I heard hime and Tayla broke up. I know shocker." Haley said dryly."But, it is weird Cutter isn't here, normally he sits at the back tables with Cole and his flings."

"DIdn't you hear? Cutter hasn't beeen in any classes since after 1 period. Everyone says he got pissed at Dylan Linx for some comment and just walked out." Hudson announced.

"What did he say?" TJ asked.

"Something about his parents I guess. All i know is it really got to him. Dylan has been trying to pick a fight with him the past 2 weeks since Cole dumped his sister." She continued shoving a sandwich in her mouth.

"Great." JT said rollling his eyes."Think Cole knows?"

"I think a better question would be think Cole cares?" Haley said causing us to gigle.

"I'll text mom and see if he's there." JT said pulling out his iPhone.

"He probably just needs some time to cool off." Haley said resoning with him. Causing JT to put away his phone. "If he doesn't turn up by the end of the day then you can get worried." Almost on cue COle came strolling into the lunch room with a new red head at his hip and a blonde on the other one.

He breezed to a back table and the red-head sat on his lap. It was almost gross watching her fawn over him as a girl sat on both sides of him also.

"WHo had bets on ELizabet Taylor being the next girl."Austin said looking around the table as JT raised his hand. Austin handed over what looked like 5 bucks.

"Huh?" I asked confused.

"They made bets on who his next girl would be." Hudson said shaking her head and rolling her eyes.

"I totally called it." JT smirked. "I know my cousin. I totally knew he would choose her before Emily Mock."

"Completely hotter." Tj chimed in causing him to get a smack in the head by Haley. "But, never better than you."He covered.

"Suck up." JT coughed in his sleeve.

"And which one has the girlfriend?" Britt joked.

"Shut up." He said looking down at his food.

"Burn." Hudson yelled high fiving her best friend.

"So, on to more important matter. So word around school Terra is you have been hanging with Flynn Mastersin?" Britt announced lifting her eyebrows.

"We had first and second hour together is all. He was just showing me the ropes." I annocced shaking it off like it was nothing. It really was.

"Well, he's trouble."Haley said rolling her eyes."Trust me when I say total player. He comes off as a sweet guy but it is an act he pulls on every girl. He also doesn't take no for an answer."

"Isn't he the guy who kept asking you out?" JT asked causing TJ to grow visually tense.

"And stalked Haley and Britt." Hudson added.

"Yeah, he's bad news." Haley continued shaking her head. "Your nice to him once and then he thinks you have a thing. When he finds out you're not single, he goes nuts."

"Wow. He seemed cool didn't realize that." I sat stunned. He seemed like a very down to earth kind of guy.

"He starts off that way. Britt had a giant crush on him. Then, he got creepy and controlling." Hudson said as Austin slowly snaked his arm around her side pullingher closer to him. "Then, when Britt ended things with him, he started stalking her and Haley. Glad I was never nice to him" She added causing everyone to laugh.

"Well, glad I'm dodging that bullet than. " I joked. "He looked at my scheduele and I don't have anymore classes with him today."

"Well, what do you have?" Britt asked curious.

"AP English, Calculus, Business, and Spanish" I replied examining my scheduele.

"JT don't you have Calculus?" Hudson asked looking like she was trying to figure it out in her head a tough problem.

"5th hour not, 6th." he answered noncalantly.

"I think Cutter has it 6th, but I doubt he will be back today." TJ clearified. "Hudson, don't you take AP English?"

"8th hour with Mrs. Duting." she admittied shrugging her shoulders.

"I think I have the same scheduele as Terra." Austin piped in."Well afternoon classes anyway."

"So you can show Terra around?" JT asked looking at him with a smile.

"If it's okay with her?" he proclaimed looking at me but, I am pretty sure that was a question for Hudson who gave an approving nod.

"Sure, maybe than, I won't get lost." I joked

"No promises you are gonna be with Austin and all." Britt joked as the bell rang signalling time to get to class. Oh jeesh....

*Bring* The last bell woke me up. It felt like the last hour of the day took forever. I never was good at Spanish. "Ready to go?" Cutter asked looking at me. He had came back middle of Calculus.Thank god because Austin went home with the flu. Just my luck.

"Yeah." I said grabbing my book from the desk as I got up.

"So how was your first day?" He asked making conversation as we headed to my locker.

"Long. Hey where were you earlier?" I questioned referring to absense of the first part of the day.

"JUst had to clear my head was all. What you miss me?" He mocked with a goofy grin on his face.

"NO! I just didn't know any one in any of my classes. How is it I have absolutely no classes with Britt, JT, or TJ and almost every class with you?

"Because, you and me are in what they refer to as the gifted program. Our test scores are above eveyone else well, our and like 20 other kids. Therefore, we are in brainey classes. He explained with a smug grin.

"So, what you are saying is your a nerd?" I clarrified."I never would have seen you as a genius."

"I am what the ladies call a beautiful rare dream. I am smart, funny, charming, handsome.."

"And you are completly modest too." I joked sarcastically.

"Oh yes that too." he laughed as we got to my locker and I put the rest of my books in my bag. "So, what all did I miss today?" he asked.

"Well, English we started some book called the Fault in the Stars. I have Re-"I started.

" I mean socially, I could care less about school work." he announced shaking his head. We started walking out of the school."Did you make any friends?"

"Well, first hour I met this kid named Flynn. Found out at lunch he is a creepy stalker. Met Hudson, Austin, Haley, and some kid named Brent who never talked."I explained smiling.

"Flynn Mastersan?" He interrogated as he stopped and looked at me.

"Yeah, I think that was his name why?" I asked stopping too.

"Just avoid him. Promise?" He said sternly.

"Promise?" I replied not sure if it was a question or answer. Everyone sure did hate this kid.

"I mean it Terra." He ordered.

"I promise okay?" I announced as I watch all tension break from him and he began walking again.

"Sorry, just that kid is creep." He stated and brushed it off.

"So I have noticed."

"So anything else new happen?" he asked changing the subject.

"Cole has a new girl." I answered laughing. " And, from what I saw today about 6 others in line."

"Who is the poor soul this week?" He joked as we got to the car.

"Um, I think her name is Elizabeth Taylor or something like that?" I replied trying to think of her name.

"Big boobs it makes." Preston said who I didn't even realize was there let alone listening to this conversation.

"She is ok, I guess but really has no brain." Cutter announced as I got in the car.

"Well, I have football practice. I'll see you later at home." he announced flashing his champion grin one more time and jogging over to another building.

"Don't we have to wait for Britt and Cole?" I asked as we pulled out of the parking lot.

"Britt has cheer leading and so she is getting a ride JT who have football practice and Tj has cross country. Same way Cutter is getting home."

"And Cole?" I asked.

"He is at practice too,but he will probably be getting a ride home with Elizabeth isn't it?" Preston said as we drove past the field."Think that's her name. All I know is she is a cheerleader."

"Why don't you do football?" I asked. Preston looked the part of a big football player.

" I did until sophomore year. Got shot in the back. Got told no football, so I do track instead." he admitted shaking it off like it was no big deal.

"You got what?" I yelled shocked.

"I got shot not a big deal." He shrugged

"How is that not a big deal?" I asked bewildered.

"Wrong place, wrong time." he stated tensing up.

"Well, what happened?"

"Some kid was hurting some girl. I stepped in and got shot in the back." Preston announced focusing hard on the wheel.

"Wow, is the girl okay?" I questioned.

"Can we just keep it vague?" he asked taking deep breathes.

"Sure.."I replied knowing it was my time to shut up.

"Well, doctor said I couldn't do any real physical contact kind of sport such as football, and wrestling, so I run in track instead. I just know if my back gets to really bugging me it is time to stop." He explained loosening up.

"Do you miss playing football?" I asked.

"Little bit, it is not like I can't at all. I Still can do little for fun no one gets hurt kind of games." He admitted a sad kind of smile forming on his face." But, honestly, I love track. I could sprint for hours and not even be tired. That whole running up hills and stuff though, I ain't ever doing that stuff. Therefore, cross country and me were never friends. Tried it last year not my friend."

"Nice, do you guys have a dance team?" I questioned.

"Yeah, I think so. I am not a dancer so I wouldn't know." he joked."Why?"

"Well, I just really like dance and was really hoping maybe I could do it here."I admitted. I loved dance. I was on the Dance team at my previous school.

"I'm sure we have one. If anything you could join the cheer squad I heard they are always looking for new recruits." he laughed when he saw my unimpressed face.

"I don't cheer. Big big difference." I informed him giving him an unamused smiled as he laughed and pulled up to the house gates typing in some code as the gates opened.

"Well, OK than." he smiled as we pulled up to the house I had been introduced to not but a few days ago. The scenery got better every time I looked at it. I don't quite understand how but it always did. Maybe it was the way the sun looked over the trees or the tune the birds chirped ,but it just seemed so extraordinary. "You coming?" Preston asked from outside the car.

"Yeah sorry, just daydreaming." I confessed grabbing my bag and hopping out of the passenger door walking up to the house. I followed Preston as he opened the door and we were standing in the entry way.

"Well, I have some homework I need to do so, I am just going to head up to my room. Knock if you need anything." with that he hustled up the stairs in front of me.

I looked around and realized I had no idea where to go or how to get there. I had forgotten my map in my room. I decided just to wonder around and hopefully I would find a person. I walked down the hallway to my left and was greeted by a room full of books. This must be the study. It looked more like a library to me. I strolled through the isles of books before me. Some were paperback, some were hard cover, and some were different magazine's out of date. Mostly fashion magazine's with last season items. Others were ones with sports stars, and then there was a desk and a couple of chairs. A small lamp sat on the top of the desk, along with a book. Mocking jay Sat open on the desk. I rolled my eyes. I had read that book three months ago. I went back over to the isles of books and picked out one I liked. I found Nicholas Sparks's Safe Havan. I had read it a thousand times but it was a book I never got sick of. I sat in the Lazy boy chair by the desk and read.

A couple of hours must have went by ,because next thing I knew, I looked out the window and the sun had went down. I jumped at the sound of someones's voice."Guess someones a secret book worm?"

"Hayden isn't it?" i asked starring at the boy standing over me.

"Yeah. Good guess." he replied sitting in the chair next to minepulling out a book that I couldn't read the title of. "You realize people have been looking all over for you right?"

"They are?" I asked confused.

"Britt has been looking for you to see how your first day went, and Cutter has been looking for you for who knows what reason. I won't say a thing about you being here though. SOmetimes I need an escape from them too." he joked relaxing back.

" I figured you were the one reading the book on the desk." I answered raising an eyebrow.

"That would be Michael's but shh. No one is suppose to know he can read and has an actual brain." Hayden joked pputting a finger to his lips.

"I should probably go find Britt since she was looking for me." I laughed as I got up.

"Hey, if you ever need anyone to talk to, I'm here. In fact honestly, I literally will probably be here."

"Thanks Hayden." I responded and placed my book back on the self.

"You can take it with you." he offered.

"It's fine. I have read it a thousand times." I admited as I walked out. I weaved myself through the hallway. I found myself at the entrance again and looked around. Ok I went left last time which means it has to be right to get to the kitchen.I thought to myself. I walked down the hallway full of family portiates.I found a living room with TJ and JT watching Tv.

"Hey Terra,Brit is looking for you by the way." TJ announced not taking his eyes off of what looked like ESPN.

"Do you know where she is at?" I asked stepping in front of the screen.

"Your room." JT said shewing me away with his hand.

"Thanks" I said taking a deep breath. I walked out to the hall again and found another room. I entered the kitchen to find Cutter sitting there eating an apple." Hey." I sat plopping down next to him.

"Hey, Britt was looking for you." He said spinning on the stool to face me.

" SO I have been told, but I can't seem to find my room." I announced embarrased putting my head on the counter.

"HAve you been walking around since you got home trying to find our room?" He asked holding in laughs.

"No, I accedently wondered into the study. So, I sat and read a book. I know you reading is a noval concept." I kidded.

"I read books, just not often." He replied snarkey.

"Well I sat and read hoping someone would be home to show me where my room was."

"Well let me lead the way madam." He proclaimed in a british accent, looping his arm around mine and showing me the way.

"So how was football practice?" I asked.

"A bunch of stupid new freshman who don't know thier spot? Irritating." he informed nodding his head and moving his arm from being looped to being right next to mine. Next thing i know I felt a hand grab for mine. I looked down and my cheeks got pink.

"So, did you have a good first day" he asked as we were standing outside of my door.

"I would say it was okay even though I knew no one in most my classes." I said cocking an eyebrow.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have left you stranded." He admitted a grin creeping on to his face as he took a step forward towards me.

"Well, I got homework I better get done." I lied slipping open my door.

"Well, when you are done with your homework, my doors always open." he replied winking and turning to walk to his room. I slowly slipped into my room with a grin splattered onto my face. I was greeted by a Britt sitting on my bed with her eye brows raised.

"Why hello." She said crossing her arms with a grin.

"Britt, you scared me." I announced setting my bookbag on the floor next to my desk.

"Well, I was gonna ask where you have been, but I think that was just answered." she mocked mischeviously.

"He just showed me where my room was because I couldn't find it." I admitted it was the truth.

"mhm , sure." SHe laughed sarcastically. I rolled my eyes this house really was interesting.

Authors Note : Ok SO I feel like no one is really reading this story? So LIke I may end it if people don't start! Please help promote and if you are reading this can you please Rate, Comment! Also, I am in DESPERATE need of an editor for this story so if you are interested either comment on here or

A full week of school, and I was way behind. I had been put in smart classes from my test scores but my old school had made me clear behind every other person in those classes. So my Saturday consisted of makeup assignments. Three chapters in calculus, 4 biology chapters, and 4 sections from the chapter we were in in world history. I was seriously behind. Brit had invited me to go shopping again but this homework had gotten me out of a day of misery of "I wonder if this is in your size?".

I heard a slight knock on the door and a little head peak through the crack. "terra?" a little Hispanic girl asked.

"Yeah?"I replied motioning for her to come in.

"Mom has to go to the store, and was wondering if you needed something?" she said walking over and climbing on my bed.

"Nope, I'm good."i said after thinking about it a little.

"Ok! So whatcha doin?" Ava asked watching me carefully.

"Homework. Enjoy not having it." I said grinning.

"We homework sometimes. It out of our coloring books, we have to connect the dots and color stuff." She announced proudly. "sometimes tear is even matching stuff"

"Wow, that's hardwork, I bet." I said

"It is but I weely good at it." she grinned even wider.

"Well, do you want to hang out and help me with my homework?" I asked causing her to jump for joy. I loved little kids they were always excited about little things.

"Wat we doing?" she asked looking at my paper. "tats a lot of numbers." she yelled shocked. "I can count to 100 by the way"

"You can, wow." I said pretending to be shocked.

"You want to hear?" she asked eager.

"Sure, I would love to."

"1,2,3,4,5,7,9,10...." she continued as I held back a giggle when she would skip a bunch numbers but eventually she did make it to 100. A loud buzz came from the intercom in my room and Brooke's voice sounded through.

"Ava, you coming to the store with me?" Ava popped up off my bed and ran out the door yelling I'm coming. I shook my head and continued on calculus. I let out a flustered groan and threw my pillow at the door. Calculus can go die in a hole.

Just as I looked up, I saw a laughing Cutter standing at door rubbing his stomache. "You know throwing pillows is no way to welcome guests."

"Sorry, I am just so behind, it's not even funny." I groaned falling back on my bed and covering my face with a pillow.

"Well, you just happen to have a math genius in your presence." he announced sitting next to me on my bed. I jerked up quickly.

"Really?" I asked eyes wide.

"Yes, but this math genius of a best friend of yours will only help with your predicament if he gets food and food will be good for you too!" he announced in a British accent.

"So, you'll help me?" I asked excited.

"Only if you come with me to get lunch." he bargined.

"Deal, I'm starving!" I announced getting off my bed. As we walked out of my room ,I felt a hand reach for mine. "Can't we take the elevator? I am really lazy." I admitted. I honestly just loved elevators.

"Ok, that works. Want a piggy back ride you lazy bum?" he joked bending down.

"Yes!" I yelled laughing and climbing on his back.

"You know, your pretty light for bum?" he admitted as we walking over to the elevator entrance.

"And your pretty strong for a geek." I responded trying to hold on with my legs.

"That comment makes me wonder, what would happen if I all the sudden stood up and let go?" he said as we entered the elevator and he hit the button.

"You wouldn't dare." I warned

"Or would I?" he said standing up catching me mid air. Next thing I knew I was standing close enough that our body's were touching and his arms were around my waist. "you know you have really blue eyes." he announced with a grin.

"Th h hanks" I managed to studded out as my face turned red.

"And everytime I get really close to you, your cheeks match the color of your lips." He continued.

"AH...UH,,UH" I staggered to say causing his grin to get wider. Ding. went the elevator. I almost didnt notice until I heard a muffled throat clearing. I looked over to see a grinning Haley.

"Hope I am not interupting anything."She said as her eyes played ping pong between Cutter and I. I quickly scooted away from him unwrapping my arms from around his back and placing them awkwardly behind mine.

"Nope, nothing at all." I replied swiftly minouvering past her than realizing I didn't know how to get to the kitchen so stopping looking puzzled."Where is the kitchen at again?" I asked embarressed.

"Let me show you." Cutter said restraining his laugh. We watched Haley get in the elevator smuggly. "Well, that was weird." he announced breaking the silence.

"Your not the one who is gonna have to explain that to her later." I answered as we both started laughing."Now where is the kitchen? I am starved."

"Follow me." He motioned shaking his head. When we arrived, I was surprised to see no one in there.

"Where is Marybeth?" I asked puzzled at the lack of a woman standing there.

"Probably store with Mom. This means I will be your gourmet chef today!" he joked going around the other side of the counter and picking up a spoon.

"oh please, Like you can cook." I picked fun at.

" I can cook! I make a mean Mac& Cheese with bacon bits." He defended.

"Well, than cook away." I said throwing a towel at him. Just then, a small head with big eyes came top the counter peaking at us.

"Can I help you Carson?" Cutter said giving him a grin.

"Shh, you don't see me." He said with a mischeivious grin.

"Why is that?" I asked.

"Cole has sent me on a secret mission." He stated proudly.

"And what would that be?" Cutter asked as his lips turned into his signature grin.

"I am suppose to make sure no funny business happens. And that if you guys get close to each other I am suppose to use the intercom and send a secret message. But, shhh. It's a secret!" He announced quitely.

"Oh really?" I asked. "Why are you suppose to do that?"

"Because Cole won the dibs, so Cole gets the prize. You!" Carson yelled happy.

"Tell Cole, he doesn't get 'the prize'. Because, he is a selfish pig who does thngs like Dibs." I commanded growing visually angrier.

"Ok!" Carson said popping up oblivious to the meaning of what I said. He skipped to the stairs and acted like nothing was up.

"He seriously thinks he can just call DIbs on me?" I ranted. "I am a girl. Female. HUMAN!"

"Someone is pissed off?" Cutter said watching water boil on the stove.

"Hell, yeah I am." I continued shaking my head. "That just annoys me. I am not just some bacon left on the plate. I am a human person! I have feelings and a right to my own decion and he is a jerk. I knew he was low but didn't realize he was that low. "

"Here, have a cupcake." Cutter said grinning ear to ear. I took it and angryly took off the paper, sand took a big bite." You show that cupcake who is boss."

"Shut up!" I laughed throwing the paper at him.

"Oh my gosh, I think I got a paper cut. Call the police, we have a mass murder right here!" He yelled dumping out the water to the sink and putting the noodles back in the pan.

"I know. I belong in jail for such a haneous crime!" I announced.

"So your a naughty girl?" Cole said slicking into the room.

"SO since Carson couldn't spy for you, so you have to do it yourself?" I asked feeling my blood begin to bubble."You have the nerve you know?"

"Come on babe. Just give into the temptation of me already." He coaxed right behind me trying to wrap his arms around me.

"Why dont we go eat upstairs so we can get started on studying." Cutter suggested glaring at Cole and handing me a bowl of food.

"Gladly!" I yelled relivied. It was getting weird.........

Authors Note :

Ok SO I feel like no one is really reading this story? So LIke I may end it if people don't start! Please help promote and if you are reading this can you please

Rate, Comment!

Also, I am in DESPERATE need of an editor for this story so if you are interested either comment on here or message me :) have a beautiful day everyone!

kaylaaaa said...
this is good so far!!!

on Mar. 10 2014 at 6:46 am
Brannagh13 SILVER, Salisbury, Other

"Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you. Love me and I may be forced to love you."
William Arthur Ward

Its a really interesting storyline, and I'll be interested to see how it develops, but it does need editing. Good job so far :)