Always Here | Teen Ink

Always Here

February 4, 2014
By Tasnim, East Elmhurst, New York
More by this author
Tasnim, East Elmhurst, New York
0 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"


Author's note: My English teacher inspired me to write this story. I never really took forward my stories before until we wrote in class for a project. She helped finish this story with encouragement along the way.

Jamie’s POV
I walked down the stairs of the orphanage, the bare wall staring back at me. The social worker said that another couple wanted to adopt me but I knew better to hope for it to be true.
Every time they told me there was a family or a couple, or even a single mom... it was never easy speaking with them… After, the people from the orphanage tell me with that fake sad face that they weren’t fit to being parents letting me down the nice way so I don’t have to face the harsh truth.
I took a deep breath, took the last step and walked towards the room. My heart was beating inside my chest; it felt as if it will burst right out because of all the butterflies and nervousness in the pit of my stomach.
I walked into the room and met the social worker who gave me a reassuring smile. I gave a small smile back and my eyes moved to the couch across her, where the couple was sitting. I released a small breath I didn't even know I was holding, while I walked towards the social worker and the couple. I felt their eyes examining me until I sat down next to the social worker finally having the courage to meet their eyes.
The pretty woman with the nice vibrant red hair smiled at me and I gave a timid smile back. She had deep blue sea eyes and almost non-existent freckles on her cheek. I looked next to her to her husband; he had hazel eyes with black dark hair with a warm smile. Unlike the other ‘candidates’ they smiled at me whereas the others scowled when their eyes would fall on me. After the social worker finished talking she left the room to let the couple to get to know me. It went something like this…
The woman started talking first. “Hi sweetheart, my name is Naomi Williams and this is my husband Gale Williams. What’s your name sweetie?”
I looked down onto my lap “Jamie” I said softly.
“That’s a pretty name Jamie.” Naomi’s husband, Gale, answered smiling at me.
I smiled back “Thank you” I was getting more comfortable with them.
“How old are you sweetheart?” Gale asked with a smile.
“Thirteen… My birthday’s coming up in three months” I said with a small grin on my face. We talked some more when the social worker came back in the room motioning me to go to my room while they talk about things. But I knew what they would’ve talked about… if they liked me, if they saw as the kid they were looking for, if they wanted to adopt me… I know this because this is the fifth time a couple came in about to adopt me but changing their minds at the last minute.
*******
I went back up to my room where I paced around hoping that this family would adopt me. For once I liked this family. I was biting my lip out of nervousness when the door opened and the social worker came in with a huge smile on her face. I was confused but then I realized the couple wanted to adopt me! I smiled widely at her.
"Go and pack your clothes hun. They'll be back here in an hour to pick you up. Okay?" The social worker told me. I nodded not being able to speak shell-shocked that someone would want to adopt me… I quickly packed my belongings in my suitcase eager to have a family and leave this stupid orphanage.
An hour later, I was sitting in the backseat of my new parents car and heading towards by new home. Even if it was happening before my eyes, I still found it hard to believe.
"We're here Jamie" Gale said, or dad said, remembering them telling me to call them mom and dad. I got out of the car and followed Naomi and Gale to my new house...
******
"And this is your room" Naomi finished the tour of the house showing my new room.
The walls were painted a light blue, with white and black furniture. And the bed was huge compared to the twin size bed I had in the orphanage. I inhaled and felt that homey feeling that I never understood before.
I turned around and hugged my new mom tightly tears forming in my eyes. She seemed shocked but she hugged me back “Thank you, mom” I said softly. She kneeled down in front of me and smiled “For what sweetheart?” She said wiping away my tears.
“For coming to the orphanage, not rejecting me, for adopting me, for giving me a chance…” My voice trailed off as I listed off, a sob trying to break through after I finished my sentence.
“Sweetie…. Your dad and I wanted a kid ever since we got married, but I couldn't get one… so we decided to adopt. We thought it would be a hard decision and a hard process but when I laid my eyes on you… I knew that you were the one for us.” She said wiping that single tear that escaped when I heard this. She pulled me close and hugged me tight… something that was unfamiliar to me, the effects of not growing up with a family and such. But now I was starting to get familiar with this feeling, the feeling of love, and the feeling of having a mom and dad… and of having a family.
************
(Few Months Later)
The phone rang as my dad brought the cake out for my fourteenth birthday "Jamie Get the phone!"
"I got it!" I said reaching the phone before it stopped ringing.
"Hello?" I said into the phone. "Hello this is Officer Peters from the New York Police Department, is this a relative of Naomi Williams?"
"Jamie who's on the phone?" My dad said behind me. I turned around and gave him the phone "It's the police... They're asking if we were mom's relatives." My dad nodded at me and spoke into the phone. "Hello... Yes this is her husband...--" My dad frowned and there was a look of shock on his face. I bit my lip, a habit I grown to as a little kid when I was worried. There was a moment of complete still silence where you can hear the echo after a pin drops. The phone crashed onto the floor with a thud as my dad held the wall for support.
"DAD!" I yelled and out his arm over my shoulder and brought him over to the couch, bringing him a glass of water to drink. He drank it greedily.
'Hello? Is anyone there? Mr. Williams?!' Officer Peters voice called out from the now cracked screen phone on the floor.
I picked up the phone and spoke into it. "Officer Peters... It's Naomi's daughter Jamie; can I know what happened to my mother?" I asked glancing back at my dad who was staring at the bare wall with a blank face. His facial expression reminded me of the girl I was a few months ago where I lost hope of having a family.
I turned back and stared at the wall as I waited for Officer Peters to answer. All of a sudden the phone was ripped out of my hand and into my dad’s.
"Which hospital?" He spoke with that same blank stare on his face and eyes with no emotions.
And those two words scared the life out of me. He hung up the phone and put it on the table reaching for his coat. "Dad... What happened to mom?" I asked softly as I caught my coat dad threw at me. "Your mother..... Car accident" he said stiffly and walked out the door. I stopped stunned for a minute and started walking again when my dad called out for me.
Everything happened so fast. When we reached the hospital we met the police officer and he showed us the way to mom's room. I was trying not to cry, but there was tears starting to form in my eyes. And what was worse
The doctor told us to wait outside until he was done doing last-minute check-ups on my mom. My dad agreed and turned to Officer Peters.
"How did this happen?"
"Your wife was on an empty road heading towards home presumably when a drunk driver hit her car on the side. My dad clenched his fists on his sides trying to hide the anger he felt. "Dad..." I said quietly on his side trying to calm him down. He took one deep breath and let it out.
"How--" We heard a commotion behind us and we turned around to see an intoxicated man who had no control of his balance knocking over things near him. People got out of his way as soon as they saw him. There was a nurse trying to stop him from approaching people but he kept on pushing her out of the way.
"Are youuu her husband? You know... That woman??" He slurred the word as he came in front of us. My dad stayed quiet and pushed me behind him when the drunken man's red eyes fell on me. My dad stayed still as he talked again.
"Look maaan I didn't mean to hurt her." The man came in wobbling around while approaching us. His hair was all over the place and his clothes was grimy looking. And the alcohol breath reeking out of him didn't help my dad's anger either.
"She was just there... I've had a hard day at work and then all of a sudden she showed up... And next thing I know there was blood and red blue and white flashing into the sky “The guy stammered making my dad reach his reaching point. My dad gently pushed me back out of distance from them and pulled his fist back and punched the guy straight in the face.
I gasped "DAD!"
He ignored me and kept on punching him over and over again. "You bastard! I will fucking murder you if she dies tonight!" He kept on hitting him with every insult in the book he threw the man's way. My dad stopped only when Officer Peters came in and held them two far away. When my eyes landed on the man, I saw my dad did some pretty good damage to his face. He had a busted lip, bruised cheek and a black eye with some more small bruises.
I never saw my dad getting angry or violent ever in my life.
***********
Naomi Williams, also known as my mom died that night after the car crash, in the hospital, during surgery, when the blood did not stop flooding out of her. She was with the doctor’s on the surgery table, not with dad or me. The doctor called for and we rushed into his office, I’d known, of course, it was nothing good seeing the doctor’s sorrowful expression. When he informed us of her death, everything inside of me collapsed. The doctor said he was sorry for our loss and told us that she was unconscious for a few minutes from the blood loss before she died.
When we first got there, I stood aside, next to the wall, of the visitation room, a little room of exposed stone walls of to the sides of the sanctuary of the church.
For a while, I just watched people walk up to the coffin, which was on some kind of cart covered in a red sheet. All of our family members I met before would kneel down next to her or stand over her and look at her for a while, maybe crying, maybe saying something, and then all of them would touch the coffin instead of touching her, because no one wants to touch the dead.



We were moving on and coping with mom's death but then my dad lost his job. We struggled for a few months while he was looking for a job but he never found one so one day I went out and found a job at a coffee shop. Eventually my dad had nothing to turn to and soon turned to alcohol for escape. The alcohol was a small problem, not being an issue since he only drunk a few times when he was sinking into depression but then it got worse...

Chapter 1
(Three Years Later)
I haven’t been the same in three years since my life drastically changed. My mom was my best friend along with my dad. But she’s gone and my dad has never been the same. I rarely entered the house anymore because of him; I spent most of my time working at ‘De La Cafe’, a coffee shop near our apartment, just to avoid him.
I had my big hoodie on hiding all the bruises from last night as I walked down the hallway about to head to school. I was silently praying for my dad not to wake up. He was sleeping on the couch with the TV still on.
I almost succeeded when I tripped over a beer bottle. I fell and hit my arm...hard.
"S***" I whispered to myself scared as I got up. I quickly tried to grab my things and head out the door before my dad woke up but life had different plans for me.
"What the hell is your problem??" My dad yelled when he saw me. "Can't you see I'm trying to sleep here you ungrateful b****!" I flinched at the loudness of his voice.
"I'm sorry Dad I was just about to-” His nostrils flared in anger and he grabbed me by the neck choking me. I started clawing at his arms aiming for him to let go but his arms didn't budge. "Don't you dare try to talk back to me or you know what the hell is going to happen to you." He glared at me.
I shivered in fear and nodded as I remembered what happened last time I tried to defy him. My dad smirked evilly and let me go, making me fall to the floor. I started gasping for air. I held my neck from the intense stinging coming from the stronghold and got up in front of him, wobbly on my feet from the few second lack of oxygen.
"Now get to school before you get late." He said heading back to the couch. "AND DO NOT FORGET TO BRING BACK MORE BEER" He yelled from the couch as I was about to head out. I closed the front door wiping the one salty tear that escaped from my eyes.
*****************
I walked down the halls of my school with my hoodie up covering the new current bruise and the other almost fading bruises. I had my head down the only way to not attract unwanted attention from everyone here.
Around here, people will only get through high school only if they're popular and well known or if they're invisible. I always succeeded going through every year being unnoticed and going on with my life; my school life always stayed separate from my home life... Which made everything more easier.
I was walking towards my locker when all of a sudden I slammed into something hard. I looked up to see what I bumped into and was met with a well-defined hard chest. My eyes quickly went towards the floor for a few seconds scared to meet the person's eyes.
"I'm sorry" I said finally getting the courage to meet the person's face and I was faced with the most beautiful deep blue sea eyes.
I studied the boy's face and noticed it was the new senior who came a few days ago. He had dark black hair which went with the blue eyes and light visible stubble on his which made him look mysterious and even more handsome.
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to- I wasn't paying attention so--” I started to pick up my books that fell on my own shutting up before I made a fool out of myself.
And of course my day dream about my Prince Charming was cut short when he talked.
"Well next time you could watch where you're going." His deep but rude voice sneered.
I got up and glared at him "Well maybe next time you can accept the apology, be a gentleman and pretend that nothing crawled up your ass." And for extra measure I smiled sweetly at him.
I blinked mentally for a second. 'Where the hell did that come from?!!'
I'm not like that at all. I'm nerdy, invisible and quiet--like a mouse, not loud like a tiger!
He smirked at me "Well I see the mouse speaks." I glared at him
"And the dipshit has a brain." I glared.
Once again I was surprised with myself. He glared at me once more, a smile almost about to break out on his face and insulted me. And apparently since my mouth was functioning for once I insulted him back.
While the ten minutes of my morning was spent insulting this rude but attractive idiot I didn't notice we had attracted an audience along with the principal. The second we noticed the principle behind the d*bag my mouth pretty much turned into a vomit bag of words again.
"Mr. Conner and Ms. Williams, why don't we use your amazing vocabulary all the way down to my office." Her strict voice ordered, her beady eyes glaring at us. I bit my lip while the new guy groaned but complied with the principal's order.
************
The day went by normal other than the unusual stares of bewilderment from the people around me. I rolled my eyes at this. I’m invisible half my life and all of a sudden when I tell off some hot guy people start looking at me like I went on a killing spree. I didn't bump into the 'd*bag' again, grinding my teeth in annoyance because I almost got a phone call home to my dad but instead I got detention for a week, thanks to my desperate begging towards the principal. The boy scoffed towards me whispered ‘Kiss-ass’ to himself loud enough so I can hear after we exited the office.
I turned towards him and glared “Excuse me, but I'm pretty sure you would be begging exactly the same way if you were in my position” Then walked away from him with my head held high leaving him with a confused expression on his face.
I rather have someone chop off my head rather than get a phone call home...
********************

Chapter 2
Hunter’s POV
“Excuse me, but I’m pretty sure you would be begging exactly the same way if you were in my position” The girl glared at me and walked away leaving me staring back at her. I was confused by her last statement but decided to let it pass
‘It probably meant nothing’ I thought to myself
I walked to my bike and started the engine putting my helmet on driving home.
***************
“Mom, Casey! I’m home!” I yelled out as I walked inside our new two-story house. There was half unpacked boxes all around the living room as I walked inside.
“Hey sweetheart” My mom came in kissing me on the cheek.
“Hey” I smiled at her “Where’s Casey?” Referring to my ten year old bratty but lovable sister.
“I dropped her off at dance practice which you were supposed to do by the way… What happened to ‘I promise I won’t get into trouble mom’ “
“I said I’ll try… And it’s not my fault that some clumsy girl bumped into me and decided to have an insulting contest.” Her face showed shock and then a smirk appeared on her face.
“Some girl?” She said with a weird tone in her voice.
“Yes mom some girl” I internally smirked at the encounter I had.
But the weirdest thing was that I would’ve kept on insulting her if it meant that I'd get to see her all day. I could still remember how she looked; she had brunette hair tied into a ponytail and deep forest green eyes that hypnotized the minute she looked up to glare at me. Her body was almost engulfed in that large hoodie of hers. She had the angelic voice considering she was using it to insult me.
To her eyes all the way to her angelic voice, it felt like love at first sight. This did mean something to me, considering what happened to my mother and father since they were in love. Apparently my father couldn’t keep it in his pants and he ran away with his secretary, a young looking woman, and broke my mother’s heart in the process...
“Hello? Anyone home in here?” I snapped out of my thoughts and looked towards my mom who had a knowing smile on her face.
“What?” A questioning look was on my face.
“Nothing…” My mom answered stretching out the ‘g’ walking towards the kitchen. I stared towards the direction she went through shaking my head ‘That woman is full of mystery.’
I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket informing me I had a message. I opened the text and it was one of my friends Cole from my old neighborhood. He was my partner in crime or wing-man in most cases.
‘Dude hurry the hell up! You’re a dude, not a girl. Stop taking so much time to get ready!’ The text read.
I smirked and texted back ‘No need to get your panties in a twist I’m coming’
“Mom I’m going out!” I yelled getting out of the house. “Okay sweetie be back by ten!” She yelled back. I grabbed my leather jacket on the way and headed towards Cole’s car.
*******
The whole week went by without seeing the girl but then I saw her. I was talking to someone when she walked past us.
She was again covered in that big hoodie of hers even though it was clearly not cold enough to wear it. My eyes followed her as she walked through the crowded hallways of the school with her head down almost like she wanted to disappear.
“I gotta go, I’ll see you around ok man?” I told Danny who stopped talking about some hot girl and said bye.
I made my way through the hallways following her when she entered the art room. The door closed behind her and I stopped in my tracks looking through the small window on the door, curious of what she was doing in class this early. I decided to apologize to her about last week before going to sleep and now seemed like the perfect time.
She had a paint palette in her hand facing a canvas. She started moving the brush on the canvas, a peaceful expression on her face; it seemed as if she had all the worry and stress out of her life. She had a cute frown on her face and turned her head to the side as she was painting. I smiled at how innocent she looked.
I took a deep breath and opened the door. The girl was still painting...
“Hey” I said after staring at her for a few more seconds.
The paintbrush and palette dropped from her hands. She looked at me from the palette and brush from the floor. “What-what are you doing here?” She sputtered out.
There was a look of confusion and shock.
I ran my hand through my hair.
“Sorry about that I didn’t mean to scare you” I approached her reaching down to pick up the paintbrush that landed in front of my feet.
“It’s okay… I’m usually the only one here. You just startled me that’s all.” She said in a soft quiet voice.
I handed her the paint brush and when she went to hold it our fingers met. There was a hint of electricity at that touch which made a small smile appear on my face. I looked up to see the girl’s reaction.
She quickly took her hand away from my hand and put the paintbrush on the table. She bit her lip and was looking around the room nervously.
“I’m Hunter” I said reaching out a hand for her to shake. ‘Really Hunter? A handshake? Real smooth…’ I was about to smack myself when she talked.
“I’m Jamie” She said reaching out to shake my hand with a slight amused smirk on her face.
“Well Jamie….” I let go of her hand “What are you doing here alone in an art room this fine morning.” I asked smiling at her.
“Nothing… I’m just expressing my inner self as the art teacher says” She said slowly losing that invisible wall she had.
“So what are you doing here? Is stalking girls on your to do list?” She smirked washing her paintbrush walking towards the supply cabinet.
“No but for you I’ll make an exception and I just wanted to apologize for what happened last week." She looked at me shocked.
“You are a man full of surprises you know that?” She said turning to face me.
“Meaning?” I asked leaning against on one of the desks.
“Where’s the fun in telling you?” She said. I laughed and was about to answer when she spoke again
‘Man I love hearing her voice.’ I thought to myself.
“Anyways… what did you want to apologize about?”
Jamie’s voice snapped me out of my thoughts “Oh right… I didn’t mean to be an ass to you last week, I honestly was just shocked when I saw you--” A faint blush appeared on her soft looking cheeks “that sadly the first thing that came out of my mouth was… well you already know”
Jamie looked at me thoughtfully before answering. ‘Honestly speaking, you can be an ass… but thank you for apologizing. It means a lot” She smiled softly at me.
“No problem… Actually I was thinking of --” The loud sound of the bell indicating the start of first period stopped me from asking her out.
“I have to get to class” Jamie stated strapping her raggedy book-bag on her shoulder.
“Of course, but hey?--” I stopped thinking this over again for a minute but I took a deep breath in and continued. Jamie looked at me waiting to speak. “I-uh”
‘What the hell is wrong with you man… you have girls falling at your feet for you and now you’re like a clown tripping over your own feet’
“You want to hang out? After school or something? I mean if you want.” She looked amused then she bit her lip. “I actually can’t… I have work after school and I have to get home right away. But I would have love to, thanks anyways Hunter.”
And just like that she headed for class with a wave.

Jamie’s POV
The day past by very quickly. I was walking towards ‘De La Cafe’ when I thought of Hunter again. He kept on passing through my mind every few minutes or so.
I entered ‘De La Cafe’ that smelled of coffee and hints of vanilla. There were wooden soft cushion seats placed around the store with few couches and lamps for the feeling of someone’s dream home. There was light music always playing in the background which always gave me comfort. It was never busy which was a plus side, it meant being away from my home and noisy school.
“Vous avez une bonne amie de la journée?( You have a good day sweetheart?)” The owner, Aimee a french woman in her early twenties with bright red hair asked me in French. We mostly spoke in French so noisy customers weren’t interfering also so Aimee can curse at people without them understanding.
“Oui!, il était étonnamment bon(Yes! it was surprisingly good)” I answered blushing at the thought of Hunter again.
‘Why do you keep sneaking in my mind!?...’ I thought to myself.
Aimee smirked at me “Really huh? So who’s the boy?” If my face was compared to a tomato right now it would be redder than a tomato.
“Oh regarde, je vais être en retard pour mon quart de travail ... Je vais vous parler plus tard(Oh look I'm going to be late for my shift... I'll talk to you later)” I told her walking towards the back room getting ready for my shift.
“You’re going to have to tell me sooner or later you know!” Aimee’s voice followed me as the back room door swung closed.
*****
I was taking someone’s order when I heard a little girl’s voice and an older boy’s voice which sounded familiar walk in the store.
“Thank you and have a nice day” I told the rude customer politely while muttering
“Hey.” My eyes left the clock and landed on Hunter.
There was bewilderment written all over my face. ‘De La Cafe’ isn’t that far from school but I don’t see people from my school often. “Hunter? When did you start coming here?” I asked.
"This is my first time actually. My sister wanted me to try the best smoothie in the world." He smirked then pointing at his sister. She looked about ten to eleven years old and looked a lot like Hunter. Like him she also had dark black hair and blue eyes.
"Well she isn’t wrong about that... We do have the best smoothie" I smiled teasingly at him.
Hunter winked at me “Well we’ll only see after I try it right?”
A carefree laugh escaped from my mouth and I was stunned with myself.
We only knew each for a whole day but I felt safe around him. Whenever I was around him it felt like all the weight was lifted off my shoulders and he let me be a normal teenage girl with normal problems like what to wear tomorrow or how the hell do I flirt with someone...
I looked at him with a small smile on my face and gave him his smoothie.
“Thanks. And by the way… I’m not going to stop asking you out until you say yes” And he walked away while my jaw was touching the floor. “See you tomorrow Jamie!” He called out one more time before leaving.
*****************
I walked home slowly hoping that time would freeze and I wouldn’t have to face my dad’s wrath.
As our apartment came into view…. I started getting scared, like usual… but thing is when I was around Hunter...I wasn’t afraid to talk to him at all...
I opened the door softly and walked into the hallway. There was loud snoring coming from the couch signaling my sleeping dad, a sigh of relief escaped from my mouth.
My legs moved fast into my room and I put my book-bag down on the single size bed. As my book bag dropped on the bed, my tired legs moved to the floor length mirror across the small room.
I took off my hoodie and stood in front of the mirror in my shirt… then I took off my shirt and stood there in my bra and jeans.
My eyes followed the trail of black and blue bruises my dad inflicted on me last week… The bruises got so bad that my body refused to even stand up. There was a big ugly bruise on my stomach, my skin color wasn’t visible anymore… the dark black and blue color covering most of it.
‘You worthless piece of s***!’
‘We should’ve never adopted you!’
‘You little whore’
As my brain raked the harsh words of my dad, there were salty tears running down my cheeks. My knees buckled beneath me and I curled up into a ball on the cold hard wooden floor. The tears never stopped flowing.
“I miss you so much mom...” I choked out.
**********************

Hunter’s POV
I walked into the house with my sister with the smoothie in our hands meeting with the sweet aroma of my mom’s cooking. Whenever my mom cooks means one of us is in trouble somehow or she was trying to please us for something she did.
“What did you do?” I turned to Casey.
“What?! I did nothing!” She raised her hands up in mock outrage. She quickly walked towards the kitchen sticking her tongue out one more time. My eyes rolled automatically at her childishness.
“Hard to believe you’re turning eleven in a few weeks.” I started walking into the kitchen greeting my mom with a kiss on the cheek.
“Haha very funny” Was the answer with an eye roll from Casey.
“So kids how were your day” My mom asked ignoring our banter.
“It was okay. But I would say something different about Hunter...” Casey replied ignoring my death stare.
My mom raised her eyebrows at me. “Really huh? What’s the secret?”
I rolled my eyes “Nothing mom she’s being a girl”
“Last time I checked I am a girl and he was flirting with the cashier in ‘De La Cafe’” Casey said answering mom’s question, her blue eyes staring back at me, her eyes screaming ‘I win’.
“Wait was this the same girl who you insulted when she bumped into you?” Mom asked with a smirk.
“Yes” My answer was short and direct.
“Casey mind your own business and Hunter stop teasing your sister” Casey stuck her tongue out and left the kitchen to her room.
"So your father called." I looked at my mother waiting for her to continue.
"He wants to see you again" she said quietly.
"Well I don't want to."
My mom looked at me "Sweetheart....Listen. You don't have to cut off all ties with your father just because I wasn't able to--"
"Don't. Mom just don't even finish that sentence."
She tried to speak again when the hatred for my father came out of my voice.
"Don't you dare try to cover for that bastard. Okay? You did nothing! It was all him. He was the one who decided that he didn't get laid enough! He was the one who f*ing decided to cheat on you with some blonde whore who's barely eighteen!! And he was the one who decided to f*ing leave us! So don't even try to finish that sentence and make it your fault... It was his fault and it will always be his fault mom… HIM not you. And I don't want to see him or hear anything about him! He treated you like s*** mom.... And I'm not letting him hurt you again."
By the time I was finished with my rant, there were tears streaming down my mom’s face. She hugged me tight and my arms wrapped around her waist gently.
She looked up at me "You're the best son ever."
"And you're the best mom ever." And she smiled a teary smile at me and kissed my cheeks. She let go of me and wiped her tears.
"And damn it you're so tall... I barely reach up to your shoulders" My mom replied laughing lightly.
"That's a very good thing mom... No more embarrassing kisses on the cheek and hugs." she hit me gently on the chest and told me to get out of the kitchen.
"I'm going!" I said about to walk out, my mom's back was towards me when I called out.
"Mom?" She turned around. "Yeah?"
"You deserve way better" I said and she smiled at me "I already have the best children… I don’t need anything or anyone else."
I smiled back and walked out to my room.
******************

Chapter 5
Hunter’s POV

I was walking towards my bike past Jamie’s work place the next day with Cole when I heard someone call my name.
“Hey Hunter!” I looked around when I found the person calling my name. It was Jamie.
When she reached me, my face was full of shock.
“What? Do I have something on my face?” Jamie reached up to rub imaginary dust from her face. “Yeah you do” I said reaching up and wiping a small spot of chocolate pudding from the corner of her lips. She bit her lip in shock “I-um, thanks” She stuttered out right before we locked eyes with each other.
“No problem” I answered softly and smiled at her.
“So what’s up?” I said breaking the eye contact.
“What? Oh yeah…” She blushed and then continued “So I have to write a report on a senior about their future outside of high-school and things like that. And well I have to interview someone and I guess since you’re a senior and I can talk to you… Can you..well would you let me please interview you?” And Jamie took a deep breath after saying the last part in a jumble of words.


My mouth opened about to answer when Cole jumped in “For a girl with a small body you sure have a huge mouth” And he smirked at her.
She bit her lip again this time nervously and turned to me. I rolled my eyes at him and talked. “Ignore him. Care to repeat the question?” I asked jokingly.
“Um yeah… Can I interview you for my project?” She asked more clearly this time. “Yeah sure I’d love to be your guinea pig for a few days.” She blushed again.
“Thanks Hunter, I appreciate it.” I nodded at her.
She was almost walking away when I called her back “Hey Jamie!” She stopped and came towards me and Cole. “Yeah?” She smiled.
“Want a ride?” I asked leaning against my bike. I forgot I didn’t put the kickstand rest correctly on the ground and the bike toppled over along with me.
I got right back up on my feet dusting away any dirt that landed on me. I picked up the bike and made it stand properly this time.
“Reaaaal smooth man, real smooth” Cole said as Jamie started laughing hysterically.
I glared at Cole. “Don’t you have somewhere to be?”
“Yep… I do…. So bye Hunter. Don’t make a fool out of yourself anymore, you killing her.” And the supportive Cole walked away towards his car.
‘Asshole’ I muttered under my breath before turning to Jamie. She was still laughing until I looked at her, and she sobered up pretty quickly.
“I think that was the best laugh I had in ages.” She said trying to cover up the few chuckles that escaped with a cough. I ran my hand through my hair “Can we please forget that and pretend I accomplished impressing you in the process?” I asked embarrassed.
“Sure Hunter” I smirked at her after “So the ride?” I motioned towards the bike.
“Eh… what the hell… lets go” She smiled and I helped her get on the bike. As I grabbed her hips, she gasped in pain.
“You okay?” I asked concerned removing my hands as soon as she was on the bike safe and sound.
“Yeah I’m fine, just got hurt during work today” She said not making eye contact. “Right… It sounded like it hurt Jamie.” I told her about to put the helmet on her.
She glared “Well I got the damn bruise from work ok? Drop it…” And she looked down.
I raised my eyebrows at her “Okay then…” I let it go ‘for now...’ I thought. And put the helmet on her. I got on the bike and instructed her to hold on tight and I drove off after hearing the address.
***********************
As we got closer to her house she told me to stop. She got off the bike and handed me the helmet. “Thanks for the ride.”
A smirk appeared on my face “No problem, by the way… Since we’re always around each other what do you say about being official friends?”
A faint smirk appeared then a smile “I would love to. Thanks for the ride friend,” She mocked jokingly.
I chuckled “Bye friend, see you on Monday. Oh and by the way… I think I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?”
She smiled and gave me her number.
I quickly saved it and gave her my number.
She started walking towards the direction of her house while I waited until she looked back. I looked confused when she yelled back “That was the cheesiest pickup line ever!”
I laughed and shrugged at her as if to say ‘What can I do?’
She continued walking until she was inside safely, then I drove away.

Jamie’s POV
I was in my room putting ice on my stinging cheek from my dad’s slap just because I was late. I put my the ice pack down when I heard my phone signaling a text message.
‘So where do you want to interview me :) ;)-- Hunterxxx?’
I replied. ‘Where ever you want :) -- J.xxx’
He replied back instantly. ‘Wow he’s a fast texter!’ I thought to myself before seeing the text.
‘How about at your place?--Hunterxxx’
I gulped and moved a piece of my hair behind my ear. ‘No sorry...Dad doesn’t like friends over especially boys…--J.xxx’
‘Oh no problem… We can do it over my place… PS: You called me a friend ;)-- Hunterxxx’ He texted back.
My eyes rolled at the comment and I texted back. ‘Sure :) But your parents won’t mind?--J.xxx’
‘Nope… How about I pick you up tomorrow? Hunterxxx’
‘A block away… where you dropped me off ok? Around twelve? J.xxx’ I texted back waiting for his reply.
‘Fine with me ;) --Hunterxxx’
I smiled at my phone like an idiot. I texted him bye and started on my homework thinking of questions to ask Hunter.
*************
“Where you going?” I froze on the spot and I turned around, the smile wiped off my face. My body turned around slowly to face him and his alcohol reeking breath.
“I’m going to the library and then to work.” I said not making eye contact, knowing it’ll get me hit.
He nodded at me slowly and motioned me to go on.
“Don’t be late” He yelled behind me.
I was walking down the street, sitting down on the pavement from where Hunter dropped me off yesterday.
As I was waiting for Hunter to show up, I felt a weird vibe of someone watching me. I turned around as I heard footsteps but there was no one there. I looked around suspiciously when I heard a honk.
It was Hunter’s bike, his arrival made me forget about the weird vibe.
“Hey.” I smiled at him and took the helmet he was holding out for me. “Hello milady.” He joked bowing down motioning to the motorcycle.
“Thank you, you kind sir…” I giggled at him and got on the bike, he got on in front of me, taking my arms wrapping them around his hard well-defined chest and we drove off to his house...
******
As we arrived at the house, it was beautiful which caused me to gape at it for a few minutes. The front lawn was perfectly trimmed and with flowers planted on the side of the pavement. The house was painted a white color with brown/black roofings and door. Basically it was the ideal house that anyone wanted in their dreams.
“So by the way… before we head in there, my mom and sister are kind of well crazy… So please don’t run away when you meet them?” Hunter said snapping me out of admiring the house.
“How crazy can they be Hunter? It’s not like there going to make me like under the stairs like Harry Potter you know…” And I rolled my eyes at him.
“Don’t say I didn’t warn you..” He told me and unlocked the door.
“Psh.. Over dramatic bastard” I muttered under my breath.
“Pumpkin... You home?” And automatically that triggered my laughter and Hunter’s groan.
“Yes mom I’m home and its Hunter! NOT Pumpkin!” He yelled out holding my hand dragging me to the kitchen to meet his mom.
When we both entered the kitchen, there was a curvy but short woman who looked young with short shoulder-length hair and blue eyes like Hunter.
‘Guess the eyes are from his mom, what are from his dad?’ I thought to myself as I smiled at his mom.
“Jamie, this is my mom Mandy Price, mom this is my--”
“GIRLFRIEND! YES, YES PUMPKIN I KNOW ALL ABOUT HER! You are such a pretty little thing!!! Pumpkin talks about YOU all the time!” My eyes shot up in surprise.
“Girlfriend?” I asked meekly. Hunter looked like he was going to die of embarrassment or kill his mother, probably both.


“Friend! Mom... Friend. Meet Jamie, my FRIEND” Exaggerating on the friend part.
“That’s what they all say and then they end up having babies in the future.” His mom said pointing at us knowingly.
I think at that point I didn’t know whether to laugh at the situation or to be scared.
“Casey!” Hunter called for someone upstairs.
“Coming!” I was still shocked at his mom’s last comment when his sister walked through the door.
“Yeah bro.” She smiled sweetly at him, a mischievous glint in her eyes.
“Jamie, meet my sister… Casey meet my FRIEND!” He told her exaggerating on the friend part, looking directly towards his mom.
I smiled at Casey “Hey I’m Jamie.” I waved at her then I noticed the mischievous glint in her eyes grow.
I looked nervously from her to Hunter who muttered under his breath ‘Ok… good so far… almost.’
“Oh I forgot something… I’ll be right back!” She smiled at me and then left the room.
She came back a minute later with a huge photo album in her arms. Hunter stared at it in horror. “What the hell is that doing here?” He said outraged.
I hid my smile and looked towards Casey. She ‘accidently’ dropped the album and out came out Hunter’s pictures from childhood.
“Awe… You were so cute when you were little!” I said picking up one of the pictures. He was a chubby little kid with round cheeks and wide blue eyes and of course in a pumpkin costume. ‘So that’s where the name comes from.’
“Kill me now! Anyone, anything please!” Hunter cried out looking up to the ceiling in misery.
I laughed and he grabbed my hand again. “We are going up to my room now…. DO NOT DISTURB… Thank you.” He said loud and clear.
Casey replied “Sir Yes Sir!”
Her mom hit her playfully on the shoulder. “Okay go on… Sorry pumpkin we couldn’t resist. And I like you dearie!” Mandy yelled out to me as Hunter dragged me to his room.
***********
When we entered the room, I noticed it was a typical boy room with blue and dark colors everywhere. There was a desk in the corner and a king-size bed in the middle of the room.
And well of course that pile of dirty clothes in the corner but overall I liked his room.
“I am so sorry for that. I honestly did not think they were going to do that. “
I winked at him. “It’s okay pumpkin” He face-palmed himself “I’m never going to live that down am I?” I shook my head agreeing with him “And I have evidence….” I told him waving around the picture in my hand.
Next thing I know… I’m gently tackled to the bed, Hunter restricting my hands from moving as he looked into my eyes as if he was unfolding my deepest secrets. His fingers lightly touched my temple and he slowly traced down my face reaching my lips. And then all of a sudden, he lets go, that’s when I noticed that the picture was gone from my hand.
My mouth turned into an automatic pout.
“You’re an asshole” I told him as he put the photo in a drawer and sat down on the desk. “Well get over it” I stuck my tongue out at him. “Okay so what questions do you need to ask me?” He said reminding me of the project.
“Oh yeah...let’s get started shall we?” I asked holding out a pretend microphone.
“Yes, we shall” He replied into his own pretend microphone…. And this is how my day went with Hunter.
***********************************

Hunter’s POV
It’s been five weeks since me and Jamie got talking and getting to know each other. And I started developing feelings for her, from the first day really… but never really confirmed it.

“Jamie?” Jamie’s head was resting on my shoulder and we were at lunch eating outside on the grass under a big oak tree.
“Hmm?”
“Where were you the past few days?” I asked almost regretting it as the question came out of my mouth. “I told you… I went to my aunt’s house for a few days for some work.” She answered the same answer from few days ago.
“Jamie...look I know you’re lying okay. Now tell me the truth.” My eyes searching her eyes.
“I am telling you the truth Hunter…” She said lifting her head up from my shoulder. I looked at her and scoffed. “What the hell are you scared of?--”
She cut me off “What are you talking about?”
I continued “I'm talking about how whenever I ask about your dad, mom, siblings… about you. You shut down. You know I only know the basic things about you…. I don’t know who your mom is or who your dad is… if you have any siblings or not. Nothing. Nada. At. All! When are you going to tell me? I’m here for you and I always will be. You don’t have to be afraid of anything. And I want to know why are you always absent half the time, or why do you blow off our plans during those times or why do you cover yourself all the time… I want to know Jamie. And only you could tell me all of this.”
She had her head down…. looking towards the ground. After a few minutes she lifted her head.
“I’m adopted. That’s the first thing you should know about me. The second? My adoptive mom died three months after I was adopted, on my birthday. A drunk driver hit her while she was coming home. --” A tear fell from her eye. “--And a few months after she died… my adoptive dad started drinking, drinking and drinking to the point where he couldn’t stop the addiction.--” More tears started falling. I sat her down on my lap and wiped her tears away.
“You don’t have to continue.” I told her.
She shook her head. “I need to Hunter, you deserve to know.” I nodded and she continued talking.
“-- Then he started hitting me… it was a few slaps here and there or just harsh words but then it got worse…. I was fifteen when I… lost my virginity…--” She looked down and played with her fingers.
I interrupted her “How?”
“-- I came home late one day and my dad was pissed because of it. I tried to explain it to him why or where I was but he wouldn’t listen… He just hit me in the face repeatedly, and then I started yelling back and punching him until he punched me and knocked me out. And when I woke up… I was tied up to a bed in my bra and panties and some disgusting looking creep on top of me… I tried to struggle but the ropes were on too tight and I lost my….” She trailed off.
I wiped the tears with the pads of my thumb and held her close to me. “Does your dad still hurt you?” I asked her quietly. She nodded into my chest and started crying uncontrollably. I hushed her down and kissed the fresh set of tears away.
“Baby?” She looked up at me. “I’ll always be here for you no matter what…” And I kissed her, something that I wanted to do for a while…
Jamie’s POV
“I’ll always be here for you no matter what…” And Hunter kissed me. At first I was stunned as he took my lips into his but then I started moving my lips with him in sync after getting the hang of it. The kiss felt like there were emotions oozing out of it. There were so many passing emotions it was hard to understand each of them one by one. But all I knew was that it felt right and it felt as if I belonged somewhere and that somewhere was in Hunter’s arms….
And then, of course the blond haired and blue eyes Cole had to come interrupt making me blush and making Hunter smirk.
“So love birds… when’s the baby due?” He raised his eyebrows which ended up in me hitting him in the arm.

Hunter’s POV

‘Dude-- I need your help--Hunter’ I texted him pacing around my room back and forth.
‘With what exactly?’He texted back

‘Get over here now.’ I replied back and went downstairs. Ten minutes later, I hear the bell ring and I go down to get it.

I open the door to reveal Cole in spongebob footy pajamas?
“Nice outfit” I snickered. “Well you said it was important, what do you expect me to do… dress up in a fancy dress?” I shook my head at him. “Nope you’re fine…”

“So what’d you need help with?” Cole said starting to spin in the desk chair.
“Sometimes I really do question your mental age…” I told him as he started making airplane noises.
“I had sugar in the morning…” As if that explained everything…. “--Anyways go on”
I continued “I need help with planning a first date for Jamie” I told him.
“No really, I thought the date was for Santa Claus!” Cole said sarcasm laced into his voice. My eyes gave him the deadliest death glare and that shut him up.
“Anyways…. Help me!” I was almost about to beg on my knees.
“Sure” Cole replied. “You have any ideas of what to do?” He asked.
“Yeah actually… I do. I was thinking a picnic, with my own cooked food, right after we go take a walk around the park.”
“And my job here is done.” Cole said getting up. “Wait what?” My eyes looked at him with a doubtful look. “Ugh, you being in love is so much work man…. But anyways Jamie is a simple girl she’ll be happy with just seeing you ok? Just be yourself. And you’ll have the perfect first date.” And a smile appeared on my face.
“Anything and everything has to be perfect for my girl”
Right after I thought of the date plans, I called Jamie up and asked her out. She said sure and to pick her up a block away.
**********************
I picked her up in the same spot I always do. “Hey baby” She looked up and smiled at me. “Hi” She said softly. I checked her out not so subtly and she blushed under my gaze. She was wearing a denim skirt with black leggings under it with a long sleeve and a sleeveless sweater thing over it with no make-up which made her beauty stand out even more. Over the weeks she slowly stopped wearing the big hoodie around that hid her luxurious curves.
“You look amazing” I told her kissing her on the lips gently before handing a different helmet. “What’s this?” She asked smiling at me with a faint blush
I wrapped my arms around her waist “Well since you’re my girlfriend, I thought why not let her have her own helmet? We are going to be together forever right?” I whispered quietly.
She pecked me on the lips ”Always” she said and she hopped on behind me with her helmet strapped on.
“You're becoming an expert baby.” I told her. She just held onto me tighter.
***************************
Jamie’s POV

Hunter wheezed past the traffic still going under the speed limit but a little bit faster.
I honestly loved his motorcycle. Whenever I rode it, it was a huge rush of adrenaline. The wind in my hair, the speed faster than a car, I especially loved it when whenever it got faster, my arms wrapped around Hunter's hard chest tighter....

When we got there Hunter got off the bike first and then helped me down. I smiled at him and held the picnic basket he handed to me.
"Hunter? Where we going" I asked when he held my hand and guided me to a trail.
"Well I'm going to show you somewhere I always come to when I'm feeling down... Well used to come here--." I looked at him confused "--I never found the need to come here after I met you." He looked towards my lip and I initiated the kiss, pecking him on the lips, hard. Hunter's arms tightened around my waist and kissed me harder.
"Let's stop before it gets way out of hand" And I blushed under his playful gaze.
"Shut up.... We still have a date to get to you know..." I told him motioning him to go on and keep walking. He rolled his eyes at me but complied.
-------------
When we reached the place, an audible gasp in awe escaped from my lips. The scenery was breath-taking.
The sun shone down and reflected in the slow, peaceful water on the lake. The white clouds were in the sky, almost blending in with the light blue color of the sky. There was the sounds of only the water and the trees, the water moved gently with the small breeze while the trees danced gracefully.
"This place is beautiful" I told Hunter in awe as he moved behind me kissing me on the cheek.
“Not as beautiful as you are” Hunter whispered in my ear, nipping at it gently. A deep red blush formed on my cheeks.

“Come on… Lets sit down..” Hunter said laying down a blanket on the bright green grass. I complied and set the picnic basket down while sitting down next to it.
“So who made the food?” I asked taking out the boxes one by one.
“I did” He said and I laughed “No seriously!”
I took out the last box at him one more time when I saw his expression
“Oh you’re serious?” I asked again. He just leaned over and took a bite out of the sandwich. “Oh well.. its your loss…” He said. I stuck my tongue out at him and took a bite out of the sandwich he held out for me to take.
“I seriously like you even more!” I said stuffing my face with the amazing sandwich. He laughed at me...
After we ate, we were just laying down on the blanket looking at clouds making shapes out of them.
“That’s a butterfly” I pointed out to a butterfly shaped cloud. “Pssh.. That’s clearly a car” Hunter disagreed with me.
I looked at him raising my eyebrow “Really? A car? That’s the best you can do?”
Hunter shrugged his shoulders and rolled me on top of him linking our hands together. He smiled at me teasingly “How can I? I think of you every passing second.”
A red blazing blush appeared on my cheeks as I buried my face into his chest. I inhaled the strong scent of his soft woodsy smell.
“Stop embarrassing me” My voice muffled by his shirt. He pulled me up so I was sitting on his stomach. “I won’t… Until you admit it’s true.” \
I laughed at him “Then I guess you’ll have to live with my red blush for the rest of your life.”
He smirked at me “Well I think I could do that” He said and pulled me down kissing me deeply.

His hands roamed to my waist and I felt the tips of his fingers lightly tracing my bare skin under the shirt. My body automatically stiffened up, he noticed and pulled his hands away. I relaxed under his touch again and pulled away from his lips.
“Sorry” I whispered biting my lip.
“Its okay” And he smiled at me making me wash all my worries away.
Hunter’s POV
“Favorite color?” Jamie asked tracing random patterns on my chest.
“Blue.Favorite animal?” I asked back
“Wolf. Any other siblings?”
“Nope just Casey. Any ex-boyfriends?”
“Nope. You’re the first… Career option?” She smiled at me.
“Undecided. What about you?” I looked at her face. It glowed in the sunlight making it look like a precious gem.
“Graphic designer. ” She answered kissing my cheek lovingly.
“Um.. Do you remember your real parents?”
She was quiet for a few minutes before she answered. “I’ve been in the orphanage since birth so I never met them…”
I squeezed her hand supportively.
She smiled at me “Um-- where’s your dad? I mean I never see him around so I assumed he was gone or something but I actually wanted to hear from you. I mean if you are cool with that, it doesn’t bother me if you’re not.” She spoke biting her lip.
I looked at her “No I’m cool with that… You deserve to know”
‘Déjà vu much?’ I thought but the difference was that the roles were reversed.
“My dad.. he um..” Jamie looked me encouragingly waiting for me to continue.
“My mom and dad was the high school sweethearts that fell in love and the love stayed intact until he started staying out later than usual or when he told my mom he had a ‘business trip’ to attend. Of course my mom got suspicious and went to his workplace to see what was going on…. And the sight that my mom saw had her filing a divorce the second she came home. He f*ing left my mom with two little kids to run off with his secretary and you know what pissed me off the most?--” I scoffed at the memory in bitterness.
“-He came one day and gave a lot of crap for my mom to hear, telling her it was her fault and so on. I found my mom crying in the living room after he left. She looked so broken, and I know she still is…. Even if she wants to hide it in front of Casey and me. And I feel so weak sometimes when I hear her crying herself to sleep sometimes... And that makes me hate my dad even more. This happened two years ago. Ever since then I cut my dad off from my life.” I finished talking and looked at Jamie finding her eyes full of tears.
“Hey? Baby? You okay?” A confused look on my face. “Yeah.. I’m just a really emotional person…” A shaky sad laugh escaped from her mouth as she pretended to wipe a tear. I shook my head incredulously and pulled her closer. We finished our small picnic and just walked strolled slowly towards my bike just talking….

Jamie’s POV

When Hunter dropped me off from our date… I felt like the luckiest girl alive. Hunter put so much effort in a first date but I loved every passing second. And I could see all the emotions and everything he told me about his father was true, and it it raised our relationship to the next level. He trusted me with his secrets like I did with mine, even though he was wanted to tell someone…
‘He won’t betray me like that…’ I thought
I walked into the living room with a smile on my face. Then I saw my dad’s murderous expression and next to him was the same creep that took my virginity two years ago. My eyes widened in horror.
“WHERE THE F*** WERE YOU?” My dad screamed at me. I flinched at his tone. My eyes automatically went to the floor. “I was at the library and at work dad.” I lied fluently. And my dad’s eyes flared up in anger and I didn't even see the hand coming towards my face.

I fell to the ground with a thud, I held myself up with one arm while my other hand held my stinging cheek. “HOW DARE YOU TRY TO LIE TO ME!” He yelled at me kicking me in my stomach twice. I groaned in pain and went to hold my stomach.
“You UNGRATEFUL LITTLE WHORE! WHAT ARE THESE? HUH?WHAT ARE THESE?” And he held up a phone in front of my teary eyes while I was still on the ground.

The pictures were of Hunter and me… Us hanging out, kissing, our date… There were some with Cole too but it was mostly with Hunter.

“I don’t know” I told him. Suddenly he grabbed my hair and pulled on it, pulling me with it. “Try and f*ing lie to my face one more time… And I swear it will be the end of you.” My dad threatened me. “I’m not lying to you” I choked out as he went to grab my throat cutting off my oxygen level which dropped until my face almost turned blue from the lack of oxygen.
I grasped at his arms desperate for him to let me go.
As he let me go I kneeled down on my knees and finally got my breathing back to a normal level.

All this time, the creeper stood there against the wall smoking a cigarette, looking over me with disgusting beady eyes. I gulped and almost vomited at the sight of the man. He looked even more disgusting from two years ago; grimy clothes, horrid stench, stubble days old on his dirty looking face. He smiled a crooked smile at me showing his rotting teeth.

I finally got the strength to move but then my dad kicked me in the ribs, hard and I fell again. He kicked me there again and I heard a slight crack.
I saw the cell phone that had the pictures next to me. I grabbed a hold of it but when I was about to dial, the creeper stepped on my fingers breaking a few of them in the process.
I shrieked in pain and held my hand while the creeper kicked the phone out of the way.

As I was nursing my hand, my dad came and punched me in the face repeatedly. When he was done…
I could barely move. “Do whatever you want with the worthless piece of crap.” He looked at me in disgust and then everything turned blurry. I saw everything that was happening but I really wasn’t clear.
Last thing I remembered….
Was a door slamming shut with me naked curled up into a ball. I found my phone next to my teared up clothes, I started dialing the number I remembered by heart...

Hunter’s POV

I knew something was wrong even before she told me. Just by how her voice cracked almost like she was hurt. “Hunter?” She whispered quietly, hissing in pain.
“Babe?” I said into the phone getting up from my bed, the look of concern and confusion on my face. “It hurts…” She said into the phone after gasping again in pain.
“Baby? What hurts?” I asked again.
She didn’t answer.
“Baby?” Another groan of pain. “Hunter…” A faint whisper of Jamie’s sweet voice.
“I’m coming to get you. Where are you?” I said putting on my leather jacket and exiting my room, about to wake up Cole.
“Dude wake up!” I screamed into his face. It took some time for him to be fully awake but he was awake...
Jamie’s POV
“Dude wake up!” I heard Hunter scream at someone.
I groaned in pain as I tried to move my arms trying to get the phone closer to me. “Baby where are you!?” Hunter asked concern and panic laced in his voice. I heard a car starting and a door closing from the phone.
“House” I breathed out into the phone and dropped the phone to the floor right before everything went black.
******
Hunter’s POV


After that one word answer the phone went dead with a buzzing sound. “JAMIE?”
“What happened?” Cole asked me stopping at a red light keeping his eye on the road.
I closed my eyes in fear of what I’m going to see.
“I don’t know” Cole looked towards me with concerned eyes and drove faster.
When we reached Jamie’s house, there was an eerie silence that made my heart beat faster in fear for her.
The front door was slightly opened. I kicked down the door and ran up the stairs, Cole right behind me. I instantly headed for Jamie’s room. The door was on the floor, and there were things thrown around and pieces of crashed objects on the floor.
My eyes followed the slight drops of blood and it led to Jamie’s broken body. She was on the floor next to the bed. Her face was battered and broken, and her body was curled up into a ball and naked… The only thing covering her was the bruises and stains of blood in places on her body.
I clenched my fist seeing this. I quickly ran to her side and kneeled down.
“Jamie??” I covered her body making sure she was fully covered before cradling her on my lap trying to wake her up.
“Hello?-- Yes-- There was a girl here--Yes a friend… She’s hurt--Badly” Cole was pacing across the room back and forth while giving the address to the operator.
“They’re on their way…” Cole said kneeling down next to me.
“Get her some clothes? I’m not letting her go out like this.” And my eyes flared up in rage, hatred for the person who did this.
“Jamie! Wake up baby!” I cried moving her matted hair from her face and kissing her on the forehead. Cole brought one of her pajama pants and an old button down shirt. Cole turned around as I started uncovering my jacket from her body and dressing her.
“Jamie! Baby?” I whispered in her ear. “Wake up… Please? I can’t go on without you.” I said and she finally stirred awake.
“Hunter?” Jamie’s voice was like music to my ear.
“Yeah its me sweetheart!” I said smiling in joy that she was awake and alive…
“You came?” Was her answer as she tried to sit down on her own on the floor. She almost fell over crying out in pain. I gently grabbed her by the waist and sat her down on my lap facing me.
I was about to tell Cole to get out when he spoke out concerned laced in his voice. “Hey Jamie… You feeling ok? Does anything hurt?”
Jamie nodded instead of speaking. “Where?” I asked gently taking her face and letting our lips meet lightly.
“Everywhere” She replied softly wrapping her arms around my neck burying her face into my shoulder. I kissed her shoulder and Cole stood up. “I’m going to see if they came” Just then we heard police sirens in the distance. Cole quickly rushed down the stairs to get them while I sat there in the dark with Jamie in my lap.
“Hunter?” She started.
“Yeah?” Our body was pressed against each other, stomach to stomach, face to face, heart to heart…
“I love you so much” And she looked straight into my eyes while she said that.
Before I got to say it back… she was on the gurney… me right by her side.
****************
“I’m sorry but you can’t ride unless you’re family” The paramedic said with a sorry expression on his face and stopped me from entering the ambulance “Look I have to ok? She’s my girlfriend!” I yelled at him outraged. I was about to push past him when someone stopped me by my shoulder.
It was Cole “I’ll go. I’m her brother.” He told to the paramedic, the paramedic nodded at him and went towards the front of the ambulance.
“You’re not her--” I was about to say when he stopped me. “I know but you’re her boyfriend considering you told them that and I’ll go with her, just take my car and follow behind. I’ll meet you in the hospital.” He reassured me. I nodded and went towards the car waiting for the ambulance to go so I can follow.
********************************************************************

Jamie's POV
I heard a faint beeping sound from the distant. I tried to open my eyes but it felt like it was glued shut.
Finally I got them open after what seemed like an eternity and the white flash almost
blinded me.
When everything got more clearer, I noticed I was in the hospital on the bed in a cast on my hand and I felt bandages over my body
I felt someone squeeze my hand when I looked towards the culprit. It was Hunter.
"Hunter?" I croaked out with my dry throat. He immediately opened his eyes and looked towards me. His face looking like he hasn't slept in ages and he's eyes red as if he has been crying.
"You're awake!" He answered getting up and opening the door calling for his mom, Cole and Casey?
They all entered the room together looking worried as hell. "Wow you look like s***" Cole said smiling sadly trying to break the tension. I tried to speak but I couldn't but I croaked "Water"
And immediately Hunter helped me drink the water down and replied to Cole "it's not like you're gonna be on a runway anytime soon" I said and Hinter grabbed my hand...
(Later I found out I was in a shock induced coma for a few days and while I was they caught my dad and the creeper and put them in jail for 14-16 years during their trial. It was pretty easy according to Cole and Hunter when my dad had a rant about how much he hated me during the trial…)
I got out of the hospital with a broken hand, rib-cage and a head concussion and other small non harmful bruises.
****

Jamie's POV
When I got of the hospital with cast and bandages all over my broken body, instead of living at my house... I started living at Hunter's house.
Hunter has been the sweetest boyfriend in the world always asking and taking care of me.
And wow was he over protective! Any guy who looked at me will receive his glare of death while he left me to roll my eyes at his stupidity. After I got out of the hospital, he made it seem like I was made out of glass... Fragile and will break any moment.
I was sitting in his room when he came through the door with a bowl of hot steaming soup.
"Hunter you didn't have to...." I was saying when he put the soup down on the nightstand next to his bed. He kneeled down in front of the bed and stroked the side of my face.
" Baby I wanted to. You're my girlfriend, I'd do anything for you."
He said taking a spoonful out of the soup. "Now say 'Ah'" he said holding out the spoon looking at me expectantly.
I shook my head and he frowned playfully. "Come on... Baby please?" He asked again. I pointed to my lips and to his.
He rolled his eyes at me and pecked my lips gently. Then he removed his lips and held out the spoon full of soup. I took it into my mouth "Yummy" I said softly. He smiled at me and pecked me on the lips again.... And this went on
****************
After I was done with the soup, we were laying down on the bed, with my head on Hunter's chest and him running his hand through my hair getting rid of the tangles.
"Jamie" I looked up at him questionably.
“I love you… So much that I have no words to describe the feeling when I'm around you. I know this sounds cheesy ok? But bear with me. When I first saw you, it felt like you and me were the only ones in the hallway. And when we started talking, I just thought that I liked you… not loved you considering what happened with my dad, I never believed in love. But when I came to your house that day and you were there bruised and naked… All that anger that burst from inside me made me want to kill the bastard. Then I realized that I never had that protective nature for anyone other than my mom and sister…. I realised I loved you, and I always will no matter what.”
I looked up at him smiling at him with tears in my eyes while inside I was squealing like a little fan girl.
"How much?" I asked tracing random shapes on his chest smiling blinking the tears of joy away. "If I counted the stars to express how much, it would take millions of years baby" He replied lifting my face up by the chin to face him.
His love for me shone through his eyes. I bit my lip.
"I love you too..." I told him kissing him on the lips hard. He kissed me back with the same passion and he got on top of me, gently avoiding my bruises.
"I'll love you always..." He whispered while our foreheads were connected.
"Always..." I confirmed and we both sealed it with a kiss.
THE END



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on Feb. 10 2014 at 6:45 pm
CantDeleteThis, New York, New York
0 articles 0 photos 11 comments
This is really good