Bluebell | Teen Ink

Bluebell

By Milani BRONZE, Riverside, California
Milani BRONZE, Riverside, California

"Once you have eliminated the impossible;whatever is left no matter how improbable must be the truth"-Sherlock Holmes

In a distant land, many years ago, lived a girl named Alice Summers, she had long dark ebony hair and hazel eyes to match. She was of course the fairest in the land and wanted by many, but none of whom she particularly fancied. She lived her days helping her shopkeeper father make toys to sell. Her mother never approved; she wanted her daughter to be a lady, but Alice just couldn’t seem to manage the broom as well as she did devising toys.

The day started out like any other, Alice went into town to fetch her father some more supplies. This time she bought some plush red velvet fabric and stuffing, along with a needle and thread to make a bear. She thought that it might please her mother to see her daughter sew as a lady should. Alice came out of the shop, hands full and thinking of what buttons to put for the bear’s eyes when she bumped into something, she flailed, trying to re-catch her balance to no avail and fell right on her bottom. Alice looked up to see the cause of the incident and what she saw made her jaw drop and spread a fierce blush across her cheeks. There before her stood a devastatingly handsome boy. She admired the freckles on his cheeks, the slight steel color in his magnificent blue eyes, and the way the sun glinted off of his dirty blond hair. He looked at her with a smirk on his face that made her feel like melting.

“Watch where you’re going.” he said, smile still in place.
“L-likewise.” Alice said, with all the courage she could muster.
“What’s your name stranger?” he asked, with an obvious curiosity and a slight pink tinged on his cheeks as well.
“I could ask you the same stranger.” she replied.
“I’m Mason Archer, please to make your acquaintance, and you my lady?” he said as he kissed her hand gently.
“Charmed, I’m Alice Summers” she replied, with a smile that could kill.
“Ah Summer what a beautiful season,” he said, with an exaggerated bow “Summer is my favorite season you know.” he added with a smirk on his lips.

Alice laughed and started to gather her things. Mason helped pile her items into her outstretched arms.

“Ever heard of a bag?” Mason said, voice full of humor
“I don’t particularly care for them as you can see…I should probably get home.” Alice replied.
“Well then, I believe I have no other choice but to escort such a lovely damsel in distress seeing as how I was the cause of this oh so tragic incident, do I? Mason said, smirk back in place, hoping that she will agree.
“No you don’t.” Alice replied, hoping he asked because he took pleasure in her company.
“Then off we go to our destination.” Mason said, as if the idea just came to him.
“Indeed.” Alice remarked.
“Here, I know a shortcut.” Mason said.

They walked down the rocky terrain into a tall field of grass dotted with bluebells peeking out through the surrounding blades, creating a soft swish as they stepped and a gentle caress from the plants with each step, and a calm breeze at the backs perfuming the scent of the flowers in the air. Mason and Alice were stealing glances of the other and trying to admire the beauty of the landscape when the other got caught looking. They were approaching a hidden river. Mason didn’t hesitate; he jumped in the river, the water level up to his shoulders.

“Come in, the water is great!” Mason yelled, motioning with his hands for her to come in.
“The water is freezing Mason, you’ll surely freeze!” Alice yelled in return.
“If you don’t get in, I won’t show you the way out!” Mason yelled, with a mischievous smile in place.
“I could find my own way out!” Alice replied.
“No you can’t, just get in!” Mason said.

Alice put down her things and started to slowly walk in, shivering along the way to him. She thought to herself, I could’ve found a way out, but maybe I wanted to see where this went. Mason came closer hesitantly, put his hands on her waist and pulled her close.

“W-what are you doing?” Alice asked blushing furiously and hoping Mason couldn’t see her face.
“You looked cold Summers.” Mason replied.
“Nice joke, very original.” Alice laughed.

They stood like that for some time, just in each other’s arms. The sun was starting to set. Neither wanted to let go of the other, but Alice needed to get home.

“I think I’m warm enough now.” Alice said.
“Uh-huh.” Mason replied, still holding her tight.
“Mason.” Alice said
“What? Oh! I forgot about that.” He slowly let go already missing her scent of lavender.

Alice grabbed his hand and waded through the water, both emerging drenched, clothes stuck to them as if it were a second skin. They stared into each other’s eyes and started to lean in…Mason was getting nervous, who was he kidding he never kissed a girl, and he didn’t want to mess up a kiss with Alice. He leaned back to his original position casually.

“You’re still holding my hand.” Mason remarked, his mischievous smirk back in place.
“And you’re holding my hand back.” Alice pointed out.
“Indeed I am…so where to?” Mason asked.
"I'm returning home, you may come along...if you dare." Alice Said in a humoring, sly tone.
"Oh I do dare to do just that." Mason said.

And with that they picked up Alice's belongings and walked the rest of the way to we house in a comfortable silence hand in hand. They stood at the white picket fence, thirteen feet from the blue front door and the drawn windows of the beige house.

"Shall I save you again tomorrow?" Mason asked.
"If you feel it necessary." Alice replied happily.
"Which I do, well I will see you tomorrow your majesty." Mason said, as he let go of her hand, turned around, and slowly started walking home, his gray shirt still clinging to him. Alice admiring how he held himself until she snapped out of the daze a minute later; remembering what he said to her as a farewell.

"Hey! Stop calling me your majesty!" Alice yelled to Mason's back.
He turned around and said "As you wish my Summer Queen" and he gave yet another exaggerated bow and turned back around to continue his stroll home, all the while Alice is screaming his name. Mason took pleasure in hearing Alice say his name.

The next day came and she told her father she was going to start her bear in the meadow. She had to come up with an excuse because her father would never let his only child see a boy unsupervised.

Alice left the house after breakfast to go see Mason at the hidden river. She waited by a tree for him to show. Mason came not long after, he saw Alice sitting there with her eyes closed and thought to himself she truly is the essence of summer in her yellow sundress soaking up the sun. There he stood mouth gaping when Alice opened her eyes and saw him look at her with the affection he thought she could only dream of.

"What's that?" Alice asked, pointing to the basket in his right hand.
"Hopefully the romantic picnic I packed, or the Bluebells I picked." Mason replied with a small laugh.

Alice loved his laugh, it made her smile. She wanted to hear it again and again so she would know that he was just as happy as she.

"Shall we see?" Alice asked, thoroughly curious.
"We shall" Mason answered, smile still in place.

He set the basket down on the green blanket he laid down earlier right in front of the glistening lake and on the tall blades of dark green grass. He walked over to Alice, picked her up in his arms, kissed her nose and she squinched her face in return which made him laugh and then he gently laid her down and sat on the opposite side of the blanket. He grabbed her hand and motioned for her to open the basket. Alice opened the basket and found Bluebells nestled on top of a few bunches of ripe red strawberries, orange pop and 2 slices of cheesecake.

"These are all my favorites, how'd you know?" She asked surprised.
"Because it's my favorite too!" He exclaimed happily.
"What a coincidence!" She replied.

The day went by and they were both giddy that they have more things in common than they realized. They were staring out at the shimmering crystal blue water, the smell of the rain from last night permeating the air, their hands till entwined.

"Want to go swimming?" Alice asked, hoping he'd say yes.
"Yes, do you have your swimsuit this time though? We don't want a repeat." He asked.
"Of course, did you?" She asked.
"I don't need them, but I thought you would appreciate it, so yes, I did bring it." He replied, hoping she doesn't notice how nervous he is.
"Turn around, facing the tree." Alice said, doing a spinning motion with her finger.
"Why?" Mason asked.
"Just because." Alice said, as if it were obvious.
"Fine." Mason said, turning to face the tree.

Alice pulled her dress over her head, revealing her yellow one piece that had a white bow cinched around her waist.

"You may turn now." She said.
"Hope your descent." Mason joked. His eyes widened.
"Is it that bad?" She asked, covering her face with her palms.
"N-no, you look...wow...just...WOW!" He replied, hoping she understood her beauty.
"Oh, um thank u....what about your bathing suit?" She asked, blushing a bright pink.
"You're more than welcome to see." He joked.
"Um, no I'm okay." She said a little too quickly and turned around.

Mason pulled down his pants and revealed hunter green shorts.
"You may turn now" He said, trying to mimic Alice.
"Oh may I please?" She said, feigning enthusiasm and giggling.
"How do I look?" He asked wiggling his eyebrows and striking a humorous pose.
"Y-you look..." She replied holding her palm to her mouth.
"Yeah, I know, Breathtaking aren't I?" He said, feigning over confidence.
"You are." She replied, with a slight smirk.
"Well, are we going to swim or are we just going to admire each other?' He asked, only slightly more hoping for the later.
"I don't know, I'm quite indecisive." She replied honestly.
"Then let us do both." He compromised.
"Okay." She said.

They both jumped into the water and swam together, the sun warming the water to the perfect temperature. They started racing and Mason kept teasing Alice about her being slow because she lost more than she won and they were laughing and splashing one another.

"You should probably get home Summer." Mason said, wishing Alice could stay longer.
"Time really got away from me." Alice said, wishing she could stay longer.
"Can I walk you home my lady?" He asked.
"I don't know can you?" She remarked, smile remaining in place as it did all that day, her heels starting I get sore. Never has she ever smiled this much.
"May I." He corrected, smiling right back, cheeks sore as well from the constant smiling.
"You may not; I told my father I was going to start my bear in the meadow." She replied while pulling her dress over bathing suit.
"Are you ashamed of me?" He asked, holding a hand to his heart.
"No, of course not, It's just my mother would never approve." She said, hoping to leave it at that.
"Oh, Okay." He said, half believing her.
"Okay..." She said awkwardly.
"Um, you should probably be on your way then." He repeated while packing up the plates and pop bottles.
"Yeah...I should, um bye Mason." She said, silently adding I'll miss you.
"Yes, very well, bye Alice." He said, purposefully using her first name.

Alice walked away rather reluctantly, wondering if he just made a slip up and said her first name by accident. She hoped he just made a mistake, that he wasn't mad at her. She hoped he'd run up to her and hold her and tell her its okay that he's not mad, but that didn't happen.

She got home and was near tears, burying through the front door and up the steps, she jumped onto her bed and put her head in her pillow to muffle her cries.

Alice cried herself to sleep. She woke up, eyes puffy and her nose as red as Rudolph's. She stomped down stairs, finally passes sadness and moving on to anger. How dare he be mad at me? My parents wouldn't have let me see him if I had told them the truth. I did it so we could see each other. How dare him! Alice thought to herself.

Alice walked into the sitting room to find her mother sitting on the chaise with a letter in her hands, her face gleaming with joy making her dark hair shine and her green eyes sparkle.
"What's gotten you in such a good mood mother?" Alice asked, masking her sadness.
"You Alice, this is our ticket out of here!" Her mother exclaimed, shaking the letter.
"Whatever do you mean mother?" Alice asked, confused.
"The king! The king wants you to marry his son Daemon! We get to live in the palace and your father can finally stop making toys and getting spare parts and wood shavings all over my clean floor!" Her mother exclaimed happily.
"You must be mistaken mother; surely it does not say my name on that parchment." Alice replied, hoping with all her heart that there was a mistake and they meant Alice Sumner.
"Oh, it is no mistake, see for yourself." Her mother said, handing Alice the parchment and clapping her hands excitedly.

Alice grabbed the letter rather roughly and examined it carefully, looking for an ink smudge or some sign of a practical joke, but there on the bottom left corner was the royal stamp; a solitary Bluebell and the king's signature! This can't be right Alice thought to herself, surely they didn't mean me, she repeated. Hoping beyond all hope that fate could be kinder to her mangled heart. It is no joke, this she knew, the letter was real, even the rough feel was right, and the smell of pine needles, or at least that's how she heard it was supposed to be. Alice fell to the ground in a heap, her sapphire blue dress falling around her in a perfect circle, and her white hair bow coming undone, just like her life was just then.

"I thought you would be happy Alice, the king's son is a wealthy man, as well as handsome and kind." Her mother said.
"Do you not wish to marry the prince?" Her father asked from the doorway, his voice hitching on every syllable as if it were almost too difficult to bear.
"Do you wish it of me father?" Alice asked, tears starting to form, not wanting to ever disappoint her parents.
"I wish you to be happy, poverty isn't so bad." Her father replied, his truth showing through his lie. He wanted Alice to marry the prince so she could get the material things her family could never afford.
"May I think on it?" Alice asked, noticing the words her father didn't say.
"Think on it?!? What is there to think about? We could live a happy life in the palace." Her mother declared with ferocity.
"Mary, let Alice think about it, it's her choice after all." Her father said, trying to console her mother.
"You're right John; I don't know what got into me." Her mother said, feeling only slightly guilty for her outburst. She still believed her point was the right one.
"It's alright Mary." Her father said, signaling Alice to go.

Alice slowly walked up to her room and wrote a note saying she would be thinking it over in the meadow and that she didn't want to be disturbed and put on her dark brown coat and went through the front door. It was starting to get dark, and Alice wanted to find a quietly place to try to cry all her problems away. She ran to the hidden river tears steaming over her cheeks with each step and without even realizing it and cried even more. Alice didn't know what to do....she wanted the best for her family, but she loved Mason Archer with all her heart. She was always a good girl, she never went against her parents’ wishes until she had met Mason, maybe he's a bad influence she tried to reason, but he was always too sweet to be sour enough to be a bad influence. I'll at least give prince Daemon a chance, he doesn't know any better. Who knows, maybe he'll be my love too.
Alice stayed there in that spot where her and Mason had their picnic, wondering if that was her last chance at seeing him. She wished she had a Fairy Godmother like in Cinderella, or someone to help her, but she wasn't that lucky, she was only a normal girl. A normal girl who was asked by the king to marry his son.
Later, Alice went home. She didn't know what to expect when she got there, she just wanted to go to bed. She quietly creeper up the stairs and peeked into her parents room where the silence had broken, there in that room lay her parents in all their snoring glory, please with what she saw, Alice tiptoed down the hall to her room and the moment her head hit her plush pillow and her crisp white sheets were pulled over her, she was out like a light.

Alice woke up in the early hours of sunlight, squinting up into its rays right outside her window across from her bed. For a moment, the only problem Alice had was not getting enough sleep, and then everything hit her with a jolt, as if it were a lightning bolt thrown by Zeus himself. She didn't want to think about it, so she went down stairs to ask her father what he would need of her today

"You're up early Alice." Her father observed.
"Yes father I am, is there any shopping you need done in town today?" She asked.
"Well, I do need some more cogs if I'm going to make this contraption work." Her father said half-heartedly pointing to the mess of misshapen woods and bent wheels.
"Can you write a list for me?" Alice asked.
"Yes, one second." He said, as he started to scratch his necessities on the parchment he found. "Here you are." He said, handing Alice the paper.
"Well I’m off to fetch some cogs, a new hammer, oil, and wood blocks. Does mother need anything?"
"I’m not quite sure, go ask her." Her father replied solemnly.

Alice left her father's workshop and headed towards her mother's kitchen. She stumbled upon her mother cooking like she always did. She was scurrying all around the kitchen, her brown dress billowing behind her; trying to find the perfect spice for her vegetable stew.

"Mother, I'm going into town to pick up supplies for father, do you need anything?" Alice asked.
"Yes, I was actually going to go into town later, but since you're offering, here is my list." Her mother replied handing over the parchment.
"Yes, mother," Alice grabbed the paper and read her mother’s perfect script: Eggs, Milk, Cheese, Flour, and Yeast. "I'll be home soon." Alice called over her shoulder on her way out the front door.

Alice walked down the winding dirt road, the blades of grass just grazing along the edges. She tried not to think about her problems and instead brought her mind to the shopping. She made it to town and went into the general store to get her father's supplies. Then she rushed out in a hurry to get home and bumped into someone get again. She fell, causing her items to scatter.

"Oh, pardon me miss, but I'm looking for a Miss Alice Summers." He said, scurrying to pick up her supplies.

Alice tilted her head up, shaking some sense into herself. Their gazes met, his dark brown eyes meeting her hazel. They gasped, inaudible at first, but its volume grew and they couldn't tear their stares away.

"Surely you must be the Alice Summers miss, for your beauty says it all." He gave a graceful bow and kissed the top of her hand as if it were a caress.

He took in her dark hair, the slight dimple in her left cheek that anyone would so easily miss at first glance. He stood gawking at her smile, it felt toxic, and he couldn't help but smile back.
"And you must be Prince Daemon, it's a pleasure your highness." Alice said with a proper curtsy.

Alice couldn't help, but stare at his piercing gaze. The way those green eyes glimmered and how he looked as her as if there was nothing else worth looking at compared to her.

"Believe me Miss Summers, the pleasure is all mine." Prince Daemon said, waving off her curtsy. "There is no need for formalities given the circumstances."
"Oh, well then you may call me Alice." She replied.
"And you may call me Daemon." He said swiftly.
"Daemon." Alice said, the name tasting sweet on her tongue.
"Yes, Alice would you like some help?" Daemon asked, meaning every word.
"Um yes, I could use the extra hands; I still need to get my mother some groceries." Alice replied, wondering if it was the right decision.
"I'd be delighted." Daemon said.

They went into the farmers square and Alice bought the ingredients her mother needed for dinner. Daemon tried to juggle an apple, a mango, and a papaya; he dropped them all on his head with a big thunk. They had a good laugh and were on their way to Alice's home. They walked down the winding path catching glimpses of the other in the corner of their eyes. They reached her door and their eyes met. Alice opened her mouth, about to dismiss Daemon when he saw his chance and took it.

"Here, allow me." Daemon said, opening the door smoothly.
"...You didn't have to do that; I can take it from here." Alice said, hoping to get him out of the house before her parents catch sight of him.
"Oh, no I can't let a pretty miss like you put away everything on your own," Daemon said smiling and setting down the groceries on the table "are you really that keen on getting me to leave?"
"If my parents see you, they'll freak." Alice pointed out.
"I wouldn't be too sure about that, after all they left a note saying they went to have a romantic moonlight picnic an won't be home until late" Daemon said, picking up the note and squinting at it as he read.
"Give me that," Alice said, taking the note out of his reach "you can leave now."
"I shall keep you company my fair, fair lady." Daemon said.
"Fine, but when my parents get back you have to leave, deal?" Alice asked.
"Deal." Daemon replied.

They went into the sitting room after putting the supplies in their proper place, Alice picked up a book from the shelf; A mystery. Daemon got a pen and paper and started scribbling, the scratching of the pen bouncing off the opaque walls and echoing in Alice's ears.
"What are you doing?" Alice asked, sounding annoyed.
"Drawing you, my lovely." Daemon said.
"May I see?" Alice asked, curious of how he saw her.
"You may, if you promise to be kind." Daemon replied cheerfully.
"I promise." Alice said, raising her hand as if she were taking an oath.

Daemon handed her the thin sheet, and Alice grabbed it swiftly before he could change his mind. She gasped at the sight, it was magnificent. There in her hands was another Alice staring back at her. Sun beams shining around her body; making it seem as if she was giving off the light.
“This is exquisite Daemon.” Alice uttered.
“Do you really think that to be true?” Daemon asked.
“Unquestionably, it truly is a sight to see. Is that what you think me to look like?” Alice replied.
“Yes, that is how I and everyone else sees you.” Daemon said, his confidence dimming with every word.
They continued on in a comfortable silence. Daemon drawing Alice even more beautifully than before and Alice trying to figure out who killed the butler in her book.

The door slowly began to creek open, and footsteps were approaching; Alice and Daemon were too absorbed in their activities to notice. Alice's parents came into the sitting room and audibly gasped in unison.

"Alice, sweetie, is this who I believe it is?" Her father said trying to croak out each word.
"That depends, who do you believe him to be father?" Alice asked quizzically.
"Why the prince of course; Alice, honey watch your manners." Her mother replied as she curtsied.

Daemon waved off their formalities and began to introduce himself as a proper courter should. He bowed and Alice's parents had a fit of laughter. They talked for a while about the city and some embarrassing moments of Alice's childhood, but then Daemon had to return home. He asked Alice to walk him to the fence and she complied; consequently her mother was more or less subtly hinting that Alice should do so. They arrived at the fence in silence, but they had to bid each other adieu.

"Until you call upon me, my dear Alice." Daemon started, kissing the inside of her wrist.
"I might have to ponder that thought my prince.” Alice replied with a gracious curtsy.
Daemon laughed, "Then don't think too long my lovely, I'll be counting the minutes."
"Why not count the seconds?" Alice asked.
"I was trying to make it more realistic." Daemon replied with a slight chuckle.
"As you wish, until then my prince." Alice said waving softly.
"Until then." Daemon said, turning and walking down the gravely paved path to the palace.

Alice watched Daemon walk away in a calming silence, oddly enough missing him every second she could no longer see his figure. She walked carefully up to her room wishing her parents to sleep tight. She fell asleep once again the moment her head hit the pillow.

Alice dreamed of her love, of which she wasn't sure. When she awoke however, all she could remember was the Bluebell meadow and a kiss that made her melt. She did her usual routine, still trying to dismiss the dream as a simple misrepresentation or some fantasy. Alice helped her father make a Jack in the box that day, it had bright blue and green hues and by the end of the project she had wood shavings on her hair and paint all over her white smock. Then off she went to help her mother, tonight dinner was beef stew. Alice helped cut the corn into smaller cobs and slice the beef into bite sized pieces. By the end of her kitchen duty, her smock had faint red splotches from the beef and beads of corn liquid from the sizing.

She decided she needed a break, so Alice went up to her room and finished the velvet bear she neglected to do. It came out marvelously, with black beady button eyes, and the soft cuddly feel. Alice was getting sleepy and the sun was setting. She tucked herself into her bed, holding the bear under her chin.

Alice awoke again in a fit, the same dream had overcome her and it was even more vivid, again she tried to dismiss it as some mishap fantasy. Still, she wanted to find the truth, so off she went to the Bluebell meadow beyond her home to find the bestower of that unforgettable reoccurring dream. She wondered who it would be...Would it be Mason, the sweet, handsome stranger that tugged her heart strings from the start, or would it be prince Daemon, the well-dressed kind man who made her jaw drop. Alice didn't know who it would be, but she wanted to get this over with so there she lay in the tall green meadow, the Bluebells swaying in the wind, their aroma perfuming the air as they always did. She lay on a small clearing, fall colored leaves sprinkling the ground; shimmering golds, bright reds, wavering orange-yellows, and dark purples. Occasionally a leaf would fall on her, but she would not brush it off, instead she would leave it be and continue her sky gazing. Minutes turned into hours and the sunlight was dwindling, Alice's eyes slowly shut.

Her love finally came, his steps perfectly measured; almost as if he were gliding. His strides sped when he caught sight of his love Alice. He broke into a run to see what was the matter, why Alice would be laying on the ground covered in leaves this late. He came to a sudden halt a foot away from her. He noticed her breathing and figured she would be sleeping. My sweet, sweet Alice, I never should have left you. He brushed her hair carefully away from her cheek and bestowed a kiss racked with want and nerves. Alice knew that this was the man from her dream; she awoke. There before her knelt Daemon, his eyes still closed and his lips still beckoning hers. Alice knew it was wrong to loss the prince, but she was caught up in the moment and wrapped her arms loosely around Daemons neck.

There in the cover of the night stood Mason, freshly cut Bluebells in his right hand. He watched their exchange with a forlorn expression and laid the flowers on the floor along with the note he had written especially for her and walked back the way he came. Mason tried not to cry, but alas it was too late a thought, tears still streaming down his face he ran to the hidden river and swam. He swam until he was sore; he swam until his skin was numb, until the icy river had frozen his tears. Mason stumbled ashore, too cold to stand upright he fell on the same spot he and Alice had their picnic. His skin started to turn an unhealthy pale and his veins popped out in comparison. There he laid thinking of Alice and what they had together as his lips turned a frosty blue and he shut his eyes for the last time.

Alice and Daemon broke their kiss, breathing heavily. Gazing into one another's eyes thoughts of a future rolled through their minds.

"It's you Mason, the man from my dreams." Alice said her breathing evening out and a furious blush taking place across her cheeks.
"I am indeed Alice, and you are the girl of mine....Will you marry me my queen?" Daemon asked with all the admiration he could muster.
"I... I'm speechless ". Alice replied shocked.
"Well I do need an answer." Daemon replied with a mischievous smirk.

Daemon waited patiently for her answer while Alice pondered the thought for a few seconds. There were so many things to consider and too little time for all. My parents need the money she thought to herself, Mason most likely still hates me, and I think I love Daemon. The last thought struck her hard, wow love.
"Y-yes....I'll marry you Daemon!" Alice stammered out excitedly.
"That's great Alice!" Daemon exclaimed with glee. Lying with her on the cool sweeping green grass.

They star gazed for mere minutes, until Daemon said he couldn't keep her any longer. He kissed her goodbye on her cheek and told her he'd see her tomorrow. Alice was walking home thinking of Daemon when she stumbled upon the bouquet of Bluebells, she picked it up and her fingers ran across a stark note. Curious Alice thought to herself, very curious. She pulled out the note and thought it no harm to read it.

My Dearest Summer Queen,
I know we have only known one another for a short time, but I can't help my love for you. That's correct, I'm in love with you and I will always be in love with you. They say that the best things come unexpectedly. You were a clear example of that. The day you bumped into me was a day I would never trade for anything in the world. You had my heart from that day on and my thoughts have never strayed away. You are my one and only Summer, my light throughout the darkest night. The moments we have spent apart have been eating at my heart, I love you Alice and I always will… Meet me at our getaway if you feel the same and we will run away together, just you and I.
Forever and Always, MA

Alice cried with all her might, it was Mason whom she truly loved, not the prince. She ran with the note in her left hand, holding it to her heart, tears streaming down her cheeks like waterfalls, her dress catching on branches in the forest, but still she ran. She was mere feet away when she saw Mason; she dropped to her knees in a fit, holding her palm to her mouth, softening her cries. She crawled closer to him hoping to save him thinking to herself, this can’t be it, it just can’t. We were supposed to have our Happily Ever After. Why must fate be so cruel to those I love? She knelt next to him and kissed his cold lips, hoping beyond all hope that true love’s kiss would surely wake him from his never ending slumber. She was too late to revive him indeed, It’s all my fault, Alice thought to herself, If only I hadn’t had been with Daemon, maybe then my love and I could be together. I hope he didn’t see Daemon kiss me, it would tear Mason apart…If he truly did see then his death was my entire fault. Alice cried until she ran out of tears. It was nearly dawn and Alice needed to bury Mason, she hurried home got a shovel and picked up the bouquet he left along the way. She dug and dug, until the hole was big enough; it was tedious work, but it had to be done. Alice dragged Mason into his grave and set him down, kissing his forehead once more and whispering in his ear “I love you.” She began packing the dirt over his corpse and patting it so the rain would not disturb it excessively. She laid the Bluebells on the dirt and said her final goodbyes.

When Alice returned home, she found Daemon at the front porch. She put back on her mask and never looked back. Surely you would think this wicked, would you not? A girl losing her love and playing along with another. Well, surely you are mistaken, for this girl was courageous and self-less from the start. She was going to marry a man who loved her and she was going to marry a man who would lift her parents from poverty. She did this out of the little pieces of the fragile heart she had left.
The wedding went on the next week at sunset. Alice went through the time between then and the wedding in seemingly robotical mannerisms to appease those surrounding her. The wedding was perfect to all those who came, poverty and rich alike attended. When Alice walked down the aisle in her magnificently white dress, all eyes turned to her. She kept her steps even and held on to her father’s arm for dear life. He whispered that she was doing the right thing and that she would be happy in prince Daemon’s arms and left her at the alter with a kiss on her cheek to marry Daemon. The wedding was conducted like any other, solemn, long, and dreary. The moment they said “I Do”, a monstrous cheer sprung out and Daemon picked her up and kissed her, carrying her down the aisle to their carriage.

And they lived Happily Ever After…

Bite_Me said...
on Feb. 4 2014 at 7:28 pm
I think you are Kajal?

on Feb. 4 2014 at 12:41 am
PenelopeHopkins, Riverside, California

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
George Bernard Shaw

That was a really good intro Milani, quite unexpected from my disciple. Guess who I am, and you will receive a cookie. =)