Not To Be Mistaken | Teen Ink

Not To Be Mistaken

January 24, 2014
By ritha burgos, jackson heights, New York
More by this author
ritha burgos, Jackson Heights, New York
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I woke up to the sound of rain, it was pouring outside. It was 4:45 am, I still had 3 more hours until school started. I got out of bed and grabbed my laptop, I started to finish my english essay that was due today. I hated school too much to do this but I couldn't get another phone call home. Things were already too bad with my dad, it just all needed to stop. Right on time I finished, it was 7:30 and I had half an hour left. I got dressed, put my makeup on and ran to the kitchen to get breakfast.

“You’re on time today.” my dad said as he picked up a cup of coffee and the New York Times.

“Yeah you should be happy I wont be late again.” I said as I got some orange juice from the fridge and put a bagel to toast.

“That reminds me I wont be home for dinner, I'm going out with Veronica tonight.” he said while slurping his coffee.

“Seriously, then what am I supposed to eat?” I said quietly trying not to sound too mad. I grabbed my bagel from the toaster and spread the cream cheese on it.

“Theres money on the counter, invite April if you want.” my dad said putting the cup in the sink.

“Ok whatever I’m gonna be late bye.” I grabbed my bag and coat from the couch and left.

“Bye sweetheart.”

I hated how my dad always left me, we never had time to bond. Veronica was this 32 year old lady that had fallen in love with my dad so they started dating. It was annoying at first to think that he won’t ever be with my mom again, but after awhile I started to understand he was lonely and needed someone.

I got to school with ten minutes remaining. I entered the class and saw Mrs.P writing the notes. That’s when I knew there was a long day ahead of me. The bell rang after first period ended I gave in the homework but yet she stopped me.

“I hope this was well written Madison.” Mrs.P said while collecting other papers

“I hope so too.” I said putting my books away into my bag.

“The grade will be up by the office be sure to check it out later this week.”

“Okay.” I left with a smile on my face knowing the grade would be good. I went to my next classes and stared at the clock, the sticks slowly moved by each number. My stomach growled, 20 more minutes until lunch.

The bell rang and I went to lunch I sat down next to my best friend April and started talking about what we were gonna do during the summer.

“I’m going to Florida, are you sure you don’t want to come we have a lot of room?”

“I can’t my dad’s making this family getaway.”

Lunch ended and we went to 8th period, which was spanish-the worst thing ever. The teacher picked on me at least 5 times, I got annoyed so I went to the bathroom and started using my phone.

April came in afterwards

“Class finished, come back.”

“Do me a favor and bring my bag I don’t want to see the teacher.”

“Fine.”

I left the bathroom and sprung out as fast as I could to the other side of the staircase so no one can see me. As I passed through the second floor there I saw him it was Jacob-Veronicas oldest son. Trying not to make eye contact I started to talk with someone that was passing by. I hated him so much I didn’t understand why Veronica wanted me to get along with him.

“Hey gorgeous”

“Oh hi” I said awkwardly trying not to make eye contact

“How about I take you out tonight?” he said with his arm around my shoulder.

“Umm no thanks I’m good” I said removing his arm.

“C’mon, I know our parents are gonna go out.”

“No, ok Jacob?” I said pushing him away.

Honestly I just think that it’s weird to see him around school so I avoid him at all time. I got into my car and drove home. There was no one there so I called April to come over so I wouldn’t be alone.

Ding the door went, I open the door and there she was with some popcorn and movies. We ordered pizza and spent the night, we eventually fell asleep later.

The next week...

It was a Saturday and it was raining, my dad came into my room and told me to go downstairs

"I have a surprise" he said.

I didn't know what to expect. I went down stairs and Veronica and her son were here I started to freak and I imagined what was going to happen next.

"So you might be wondering what's happening" he said giving each of us a glass of champagne.

My dad kneeled down in one knee and said...

"Will you marry me" he said while holding the ring with a graceful smile.

Veronica was smiling with her eyes widened and I thought she couldn’t get any uglier.

"Yes, yes, a million times yes!” she said while my dad put the ring on and they kissed.

The room was filled with joy, but I just kept thinking “how could he do this”. Nothing was going to be the same, i’ve never had a lot of people in my life. It all sucked but I just had to be happy for him.

A few weeks later…

It all started of on Sunday when my dad told me that Veronica and her kids were moving in. We had this argument of not having enough space, but he insisted so whatever.

“Help me get the bed!” Veronica said yelling across the whole yard.

Jacob ran to help and you could see the fury in his eyes. Everything was such a mess, I hated this “new chapter” in our lives. Not having my mom with me was enough and I couldn’t take it.

For the next couple of days that’s all we did fix, fix, and fix. The house was such a mess. Boxes all over the place, plates unwashed, clothes everywhere. I could barely see the floor. My dad told me to pick stuff up and organize but I just thought “Eww this isn’t even my stuff” so I went to my room and locked my self in.

Finally it was all done but just having to think that I had to live with another "mom" and "brother" made me want to leave the house.

I'd go to school every day and try to avoid Jacob even more now. Although that didn't really matter because every time I saw him, he would have a group of people around him like he was some type of star. Well now thinking about it, he kinda is because hes the school’s quarterback and he won basically every game. But it was just still really weird when we made eye contact, sometimes he would wink and other times he would just stare.

At home all he would does is watch tv, bring home girls or stay in his room blasting music. Sometimes he doesn’t even come home until like five in the morning, smelling of alcohol. Basically i don’t have to talk to him at all.

I got up the next day got ready, and went straight to the fridge. Jacob was lying on the couch. He apparently came next to me and hugged me. He started saying things that didn't make sense it sounded like gibberish. He grabbed my hair and started twirling it while the other hand was rubbing my back.

He grabbed my chin and made me face him, he told me all the beautiful things and kissed me. I was so into his charm I believed whatever he was saying and kissed back. I pulled apart gasping for air I had no clue what to say, so I stormed out with a surprised face.

I ran up to my room and checked my phone I had three missed calls. It was my mom, it’s been almost a year since I last talked to her. She told me to go out with her, so I told my dad and he didn’t mind so I started to get ready.

Later that afternoon my mom had made reservations in a nice italian restaurant that was really good. I was talking about how school was and how this new “chapter” was going. After the nice dinner I got home worried of what would happen with Jacob. I was going up the stairs until he pulled me into the closet.

"What the hell!" I said with an angry tone

"Don't what the hell me, I've been trying to talk to you but you keep ignoring me"

"What if I didn't want to talk with you" I said rolling my eyes

"Come on don't be like that, look I didn't want to make this awkward." he said making a concerned face

"Look what happen, happened that's all we don't have to talk about it"I was getting ready to pull the door knob

Jacob pulled me close to him and kissed me again. I pulled myself away from him, my body screamed for his touch again. This can’t be happening, I don’t like him.

“I like you a lot” he said grabbing my hand and held it up to his lips.

I ran out of the closet and ran by Veronica almost knocking down the basket she carried, she asked Jacob what was wrong with me. He didn't respond and left.

I started to freak out he was going to be my stepbrother soon and this couldn’t be happening, I was so scared of my dad finding out. I locked myself in my room and layed on my bed after a long shower, I stared up at the ceiling thinking about how quickly my life was changing. In the morning I went to Aprils house not wanting to see Jacob. Ever since last night I couldn’t stop thinking about him I started catching small feelings for him and I really hope that what he said last night was true.

April was driving me back home after a stop in Starbucks. My heart beated faster as we got closer. My mind was blank I was just thinking of how my facial expression would be as I walk through that door.

Knock knock! I forgot my keys once again it was the most typical thing for me. I just hope Jacob doesn’t open I thought, I waited and waited but no one opened. I banged my fist against the door and heard heavy footsteps from inside. The door opened revealing a half naked Jacob.

“Hey, I didn’t know you were going to come so quickly”

“Yeah well there was nothing fun to do and i’m tired so I decided to come early”

I got upstairs and started to do laundry, I could hear whispering coming from Jacobs room. I pressed my ear against his door and heard a girl talking to him.

“But baby, you said you loved me and I think i’m ready”

“Babe listen we can’t right now, my sisters home” I felt my eyes starting to burn, god why am I so stupid of course he wouldn’t like me i’m so pathetic.

“You have a sister omg can I meet her” why are girls so stupid.

“No!” he shouted

“Why baby?” All I heard after that was bunch of noise I ran into my room and layed down maybe this was for the best. God was sending me a signal, what the f*** am I talking about, all guys are douche bags I just hope to find a perfect guy in the future.

Things between me and Jacob have been awkward since then, but now I’ve found a new guy that’s actually interested in me and I think it’ll go on a better path this time.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.