Is It Him | Teen Ink

Is It Him

By BriannaKnowsIt, oregon, Oregon
BriannaKnowsIt, Oregon, Oregon

The water is sweet but blood is thicker. Sometimes when i say "Im ok" i want someone to hug me tight and say "I know your not."

Author's note: i was bored in science one day and saw a picture and started writing, thats pretty much the only way i start writing, is with pictures or song lyrics and so far its worked out pretty good.

i wasnt trying to write something more than like, four pages but, i cant write short storys haha hope its good

The cat was pretty gutsy, doing what it was about to do. The 20 German shepherd attack-dogs-in-training were sitting quietly in line, awaiting their masters (or my) orders. I crossed my arms and smirked. The big fluffy cat should know that the line was nothing but his biggest enemies. One dog leaned forward. Lightning. I barked a sharp command in German. The language that his owner insisted he learned. Since I was the only trainer that knew German, of course I had to do it. He leaned back and woofed under his breath. Lazily the cat sauntered down the line, rubbing and purring on every dog it passed. Lightning growled and leaned forward again. Walking up behind him I took out my plastic bottle of metal bb’s. Leaning down to the growling dog I shook it hard in his ear. Whimpering he lay down and showed his belly and neck in submission. Nodding I set it back in its case and leaned back against the building. The dog stood back in line and the cat went by him. He snapped at the cow-resembling cat and he ran off a few feet, back arched and his tail had turned into a bottlebrush. Hissing it sauntered away like a beaten player. Laughing I took the dogs through their rounds. A few of the new dogs wouldn’t attack the dummies but that was always the case. I grabbed Lighting and pulled him off of a dog that had a piece of dummy stuck in its collar. Rapping him across the nose sharply I said to him,
“Knock it off you dirty scoundrel! In your kennel!”
He slunk off and I followed him. Pulling at his latch I opened the door and he walked in, tail drooping and ears flat. Shutting it I latched it behind him and pointed at the floor. In German I told him to lie down. He flopped down in a ball and huffed at me.
Turning around I ran right into a hard chest. Before I could fall on my butt strong, warm hands gripped my upper arms. “Thanks.” I mumbled before looking up. The eyes. Ohmygod his eyes held me in place, speechless. Ice blue, vibrant blue, they practically glowed in the darkened room.
“That’s ok I’m here to pick up a dog, they told me I’d find someone named Ash here. Are you Ash?” he looked down at me, having no idea what his eyes were doing to my head. He had a slight southern drawl. I opened my mouth slowly. “Yea. Um... which one are you here to get, we have about 20 of them in boarding at the moment.”
He quirked an eyebrow. “I meant I’m here to buy a dog?”
I nodded and went to turn around to lead him to the dogs in the back but his hands were still gripping my arms. “Question? Can you let go of my arms?”
He laughed, “Are you still gonna fall over?” he asked me. Answering a question with a question was one of my pet-peeves, but I let it slide. I shook my head. “You sure bout that?” a nod this time. He slowly let go and straightened. I swayed as I turned around; almost tripping over a dog toy someone must have left out. Quickly righting myself I marched off to the dogs at the end. Pointing to the dogs to my right and left I walked towards the end. “This is Joey, Sparky, Switzer, Axle, and this little girl is Maddy.” I told him walking down the line pointing at each dog as I said their names. They had come to see what was going on. I turned to face him and leaned against the wall, crossing my arms over my chest. He stood studying each dog carefully. Finally he pointed at Axle, our only black shepherd, and asked, “How old is he?”
I held up one finger, “Still a pup. Just what I want.” He crouched and petted Axles nose through the mesh wires. His sister was across from him. “Him and Maddy are a package deal though, he doesn’t like leaving his sister. It’s a chores to keep them in separate kennels as is.” I cocked my head as I heard growling and barking from outside. “I’ve got to get outside and check on the dogs. They’re probably fighting over the Kong Ball. Come and get me when you think you’ve made a choice.”
I pushed off the wall and walked around him towards the still open door. Suddenly a large, warm, hand enveloped my ankle, stopping me. “Can I let ‘im out? So I can play with ‘im?” I nodded and pulled my foot free. Walking quickly I could feel his eyes on my back, resisting the urge to look back at him. Sighing as I closed the door behind me I leaned on it, closing my eyes. Snapping them open I looked across the yard. A pile of dogs lay in the sun, sleeping. Several were playing, yipping like puppies as they tore across the yard. Two were playing tug-of-war with a dummies leg as one tried to steal it by biting it in the middle and pulling. I walked over to the shed and leaned against it. One of my favorites walked over. “Hey Sergeant, how ya been boy?”
I slid down until I was sitting on the cold concrete. He sat his head in my lap and lay down. I closed my eyes, running my hand over his head. Letting the rare sun warm me. A few minutes later a shadow fell across me. Peeking open one eye I sighed. “Have you made your choice?”
I could hear clothes rustling and I guessed he was sitting down. “As a matter of fact I have, her name’s Ash.”
Snapping my eyes open I stared at him. Reaching out I felt his forehead, “Are you ok? I think you have a fever.”
He laughed and grabbed my hand. “I’m fine but.” He looked at my hand. “I was serious about that.”
I blinked speechless. He reached out slowly and gently closed my mouth. My lap went cold. The dog had wandered off, bored because I wasn’t petting him anymore. He smirked, “You’ve been abandoned.”
Pulling my hand away I stood and walked to the kennel doors quickly. I blew my whistle sharply and all the dogs came running. He stood as well and came to stand next to me. I can’t; I don’t even know your name.” I told him. He stuck out his hand, “Jason Vans at your service.”
I ignored his outstretched hand and opened the door. Each dog walked to its own kennel and walked in. Walking down the aisle I closed the doors and latched them after each dog. I could feel his presence behind me and hear his soft footfalls. Turning around to ask him a question I once again ran into his hard, warm, chest. This time I’m the one who held onto him to prevent myself from falling. His shirt was hot in my hands and I thought he was smiling but that’s all I had time to register before I pulled us both to the ground. He somehow twisted us around so that he hit the ground first. I opened my eyes to look into his vibrant blue ones, full of mischief and amusement, and a small amount of triumph. Our legs were tangled and he tightened his arms, holding me to his chest. Struggling to catch my breath I stared at him in wonder. Beautiful blue eyes, brown shaggy hair, a slight 5’oclock after shave, shaggy hair, pink lips that looked so inviting my fingers itched to grab his face and… Oh my god what am I thinking?! I tried to push off of him but he held me tighter. I glared down at him. “Let. Me. Go.”
I demanded him. He raised his eyebrows and he gave me a look that said, Or what?
“Now, Jason.” I said, using his name for the first time. It tasted like candy in my mouth. He slowly unwrapped his arms from me and I quickly untangled my legs from his before rolling off him and standing. He looked up at me and held out a hand. I ignored him and walked towards the door. I could hear him scramble up from the floor and jog to catch up with me. Falling into step beside me he looked at me. “What? Not even thanks?” then in a high pitched voice he clasped his hands together, fluttering his eyelids. “Oh Jason! Thank you so much for risking a concussion to save my life! I could have died! How could I ever thank you?”
Then in his normal voice, “Oh I could think of a few ways, perhaps you could have coffee with me one day, or you could come over and we could make popcorn and watch a movie.”
I looked at the ground but kept walking. “Oh that would be wonderful, we could have a sleepover and make pancakes in the morning and share them!” the girly voice again.
His voice, “Ok then it’s a date. I’ll pick you up at 7:00 on Saturday night. Are you free?” he looked down at me. I looked up. “Did you just make a date with yourself? Or with me?”
He nodded at me. “I am free actually and I know you won’t leave me alone until I say yes so I guess I could spend a night out.” He opened his mouth. Before he could say anything. I interrupted him. “But I’m not sleeping over!”
He swung his hand and snapped his finger sharply, causing a dog to bark at him. “Darn! But my mommy said you could and everything!”
“Yea well my mommy said not to sleepover at a strange boys house.” He looked down at me, “I thought I might like your mommy but now I know I won’t.”
I looked at the ground and sighed, “Even if I let you meet my mom you’d be cold at this time of the year. Pine Grove Cemetery isn’t to warm.” He slowed and I matched his pace. Stopping he grabbed my arm and made me look at him. “I’m sorry I should have never brought it up.”
I looked away nodding. We walked on. A while later he asked, “So are we still on for Saturday? Or have I ruined it?” I laughed and he did to. “Yes.”
He cocked his head, “Yes I ruined it or yes we are still on for Saturday?”
Another laugh, “Yes we are still on for Saturday.”
He laughed and I looked down and stepped around a dog toy to avoid falling and breaking my ankle. As I stepped back over my shoulder brushed his arm. A shiver went through my body on contact.
“Are you cold?” he asked me. I shook my head. Opening the door the small amount of sunshine started to disappear.
“Well even the sun says it’s to cold to be outside.” I observed, looking up at the ever growing clouds. He nudged me and pointed at the sky.
“That one looks like turtle and that one looks like a deformed flower.”
I studied them quietly, pointing at the one he said looks like a turtle and I told him, “That one looks like cloud, and that one also looks like cloud. Just skinnier. They all look like clouds.”
He shook his head and muttered something that sounded something like, “…no imagination…” I pushed him and he swayed slightly. Laughing we walked on. Reaching the gate to the parking lot he opened it with a flourish. “Ladies first.” He said with a sweep of his arm. I giggled before knowing what I was doing. That is not good. I walked to my truck and didn’t bother waiting for him, angry at myself for the way he made me feel. For the way he made me act. Slamming my hand into my pocket I fished for my keys. Fumbling around I finally found them. Shoving the key into the lock I twisted it viciously. I yanked the door open I automatically hit the unlock button. I’m just used to doing it. Next thing I knew Jason was opening the door and sliding in. Looking at him in bewilderment I shook my head and sighed out, “Where to?”
He laughed, “Don’t you know the way to your own house?”
“You’re not coming to my house!”
He shrugged, “I’m certainly not sitting in your car for my health.” He looked over at me with a grin of mischief. “Unless you’re hiding something from me?”
I pursed my lips and glared at him. I wanted to swipe that smirk off his face. I don’t know how, probably by slapping him. Or… kissing him? As soon as I thought of that my whole being smiled. And I hated it for it. I sighed in defeat and stuck the key into the ignition and turned it just as viciously as before. He reached out and gently grabbed my hand. “You know if you keep twisting your key so hard it’s gonna break and then you’ll be screwed. Unless you want me to drive?” he asked with a raised brow. I shook my head and pulled my hand back. No one drove my truck but me. Putting my blue 95’ Ram Dodge 4x4 into reverse I pulled out of my spot. Stepping on the gas after putting the truck in drive I peeled out of the parking lot with a laughing man I didn’t even know at my side.

Now your probably thinking, “Oh how stupid is this chick? Come on its so obvious, he’s gonna take her home and use her for what he wants and then leave with a few family heirlooms.” But as you should know I knew exactly what I was getting myself into at this point and I decided to take him to my friends house and while he was distracted I would sneak out and never see him again. Yea, well, my plan didn’t work to well. You’ll see.

We parked and he looked at the house we arrived at and anybody who knew me at all would know I would never live there. Ever. The house was pink with white trim and dozens of flower beds. The front porch looked like something you’d find in a cartoon. I almost shuddered but that would have given me away. He looked at me sideways.
“Don’t even try to tell me this is where you live.” I looked away.
“Ok I won’t.” And I jumped down out of my truck. Slamming my door to announce my arrival, I walked up to the front porch and before he could see me I covered my hand with my sleeve and opened the door. I could hear his wary steps behind me. He was right to be afraid. Nadia was very. girlish. So girlish it was a wonder she was my friend. She even ad pink hair. Just kidding, her hair is a normal color of bleach blonde and she had bright green eyes. She would look pretty normal if she didn’t wear pink and lace all the time though. Thank god she was used to this scenario. I would unwillingly and without trying to, pick up a guy and when I was supposed to take them home I would leave them to her mercy. I could barely go shopping anymore. No man would be able o handle me. I had proven that a while ago. The guy moved to Montana and I haven’t seen him since. I almost laughed at the memory of him scrambling into a cab while I waved sweetly waved goodbye to him. But I was on a mission. Ok your probably thinking something along the lines of, “Why is she so cruel to these guys and why not just take them home? Blah, blah, blah. Ect, ect.” The truth is I was doing this for their sakes, they wouldn’t mind if they knew just how bad I was. They would probably thank me if they knew what was in store for them. Opening the door I yelled out, “Nadia? Hey sis, I’m home!”
I used our code word, sis, so she would know to put on the act. She bounced out of the kitchen and smiled at me then behind me. Her mouth dropped open. I imagined me with that look on my face and cringed. She shook herself and I gave her a pained smile to tell her to keep her cool.
Then in my ear, “The look your sister gave me just now is the same one that the lady at your work gave me. What is it with people today? Is there something wrong with my hair?” I turned in time to see him shake his head to the side and flip his hair out of his eyes. It was even more mussed up before. I struggled to catch my breath. And from the sound behind me Nadia felt the same. I quickly walked into the kitchen to see what she was baking this time.
“Mmm. This smells good what is it?” I asked with fake enthusiasm. She wiggled her eyebrows while giggling behind her oven mitt covered hand.
“Cookies. Your favorite kind.” I grimaced. I hated cookies and she knew it. But just because Jason was here I would have to eat them. Speaking of the devil. Jason sauntered into the kitchen and took a deep breath through his nose. Moaning he looked at Nadia.
“Peanut butter cookies?” She nodded surprised.
“How’d you know? Even Ash doesn’t have that good a sense of smell. And she’s like a dog.”
He laughed. “My mom used to make them all the time. She made the best.”
I groaned. He turned to me and I quickly closed my mouth. He raised his eyebrows in the question of, “What’s wrong with you?”
I opened my mouth but Nadia cut me off. “She hates cookies. In fact she hates any kind of sugar except chocolate.”
He slowly turned to face me. “What.Is.Wrong.With.You?”
I rolled my eyes and strode into the living room. “I’ll be right back I need to go grab something from the truck.”
He caught up to me. Striding faster I reached the front door. Pulling it open so fast I almost hit him in the face. He jumped back and it caught his toe and he tumbled. Straight into me. I let out a string of curses as he fell on me. Tumbling we took out a coat rack and somehow I pulled a porch chair over as well. My head hit one of the fluffy rugs Nadia had all over the house. Thank god she put them on the porch as well, I would have cracked my head on hard concrete and then where would I be? In a hospital bed and when I got out. Jason would be the one in a hospital bed. All this passed through my head as I lay there stunned. I realized that Jason’s head was on my chest and he wasn’t moving. Still gasping for air like a fish on land and I don’t think I was moving anytime soon either. Then he groaned, shifting his head slightly. That’s when he came to. Lifting his head he moaned and grabbed the side of his head before opening his eyes, to stare right down at my exposed tank top. His eyes widened and without looking up he said in a gravelly voice, “What club did I end up at this time? Because I don’t think I mind being booted out this time.”
I cleared my throat and he quickly looked up at me. His eyes flashed between my eyes and my tank top several times.
“Definatly don’t mind.” His eyes were half lidded like a lizard the next time he looked up at me. He shifted his arms so it looked like he was going to do a push up. But instead he inched his way forward until he was face to face with me. His face was so close to mine that if I even shifted, his lips would meet mine. I think that was his point. He whispered quickly, “You can’t escape me that easily Ash.”
His warm breath flushed over my face, smelling strongly like mint and toothpaste. I stayed silent as he continued, “I’ve seen your kind before Ash. You think you’re dangerous.” I opened my mouth to retort, making sure I didn’t lift my head in the slightest but he cut me off. “Granted you are dangerous, very dangerous. But the bad thing about danger is, I absolutely love it.”
Then before I could open my mouth his lips met mine. I had no idea who made the move but whoever it was, I’m glad they did it. I could feel his warm hands come up to tenderly cup my face, cradling it lightly. For the first time in years I felt, fully alive. But then, at the back of my brain my logical thoughts reminded me, “Your gremlin is ready to smile.”
And with that single thought, 16 years of karate kicked in. Swinging my legs I kicked them up to wrap around his and with a single motion I was sitting, one knee in between his shoulders and the other at the small of his back, holding his hands together as if I were going to cuff him. If only I had a pair. He twisted his head and tried to look up at me. “Master Yina? She actually taught you that?”
I glared, “How do you know Yina?”
He laughed, causing his back to rumble. “She’s been my neighbor for 20 years. Bet she hasn’t taught you this yet.”
And I was flying through the air to land solidly against his chest, held in a head lock and hand lock that she taught me four years ago. It was my turn to laugh. “Amateur.” I snorted out before kicking his shin and reaching back with one foot to snag the back of his knee, pulling, causing him to fall to his knees. And spinning, I thrusted him onto his face with solid thwack of my hand between his shoulder blades. He sprawled there for a second before turning over to look at me. Probably standing with a smirk on my face, looking like a smug kid. He grinned and took me down by kicking my feet from beneath me.
I landed with a thump. Just barely dodging the door handle as I went down. He was on me in a second holding me the way I did when we started this. I squirmed, not really trying to escape, letting him have this moment before breaking free…. I would love the look on his face when I broke away and took him down, with no effort. Then I realized something had gone around my wrists. The bastard had cuffs! How the..
“How the…?” my sentence trailed off as he leaned down to show me his hands, they had a small set of silver keys, all looking the same, held in them. I went to grab for them but my hands were firmly set. I could tell by the texture that they were solid steel, not the flimsy ones the cops have that are easy to get out of. By the way, you don’t want to know how I know that. Let’s just say I’ve had a few run-ins with the pigs and we’ll just leave it at that. A bit frustrated and a bit confused, ok more than I bit, I was pissed. But I still was wondering how he had gotten a pair of cuffs. The only cuffs around like this that I knew of were in my, truck! That bastard must have searched the glove compartment while I wasn’t looking. Crap! I knew I should have taken them out I was just too lazy. “Are you going to play fair now, Ash?” he inquired. Through clenched teeth I replied with a smart-arse comment of, “Let me out of these cuffs and you can see just how fair I am.”
He laughed and said something under his breath about a wildcat. I opened my mouth to reply with a stupid but true comment when I wasn’t on my stomach anymore. I was on my back and his lips were on mine again. I realized too late that his legs were clamping mine to the porch and my hands were still stuck behind my back. I tried to bite him but he quickly melted my defenses. His lips were controlling, hungry and in charge. I tried to find some leverage but with my hands and legs being restrained I found that I didn’t like this. Well, the kissing I liked but everything else, like not being able to take charge for once, was making me anxious. I grunted something around his lips and he nodded before slowly reaching behind me. With a sharp click I felt my hands come loose. God this guys an idiot. I reached up and punched him right in the side of his big head. He grunted and slid sideways. I quickly stood and tried to bolt to my truck. It sucks that I still punch like a girl. His hand wrapped around my calf and I jerked to a stop. Turning I stamped on his hand, making him howl in pain, and his grip loosened. I kicked out of his hand and darted down the drive. I frantically grabbed the handle of my truck and flung the door open. Scrambling in I slammed it closed and locked the doors. His hand slammed against the side as he stopped quickly, and he yelled, “Ash, will you stop running and face me? Seriously, it’s not like I’m going to hurt you!”
I grinned at him and grabbed at my coat pocket. Or where my coat pocket was supposed to be. I swore and looked at Jason. The smug bastard had my keys hanging from his index finger, swaying slightly. He started to walk away and I yelled out through the glass, “It’s a good thing I know how to hot wire a car huh?”
He ignored me, calling my obvious bluff. I glowered at his back and willed him to turn around. He didn’t. I silently opened the door and keeping my eyes on him the entire time I slowly crept up behind him. He turned just in time to see me lunge at him with a really dumb war cry. He laughed just as I tackled him and brought him to the ground, my hand grabbing for the keys. I caught the ring in my finger and yanked. They came loose a little too easily but I was more concerned with getting up and back to my truck. I jumped up and he grabbed for my ankle. I pulled it out of his reach just in time and ran as fast as I could down the drive to the open truck door. I slid into the truck and slammed it shut before locking it again. Although it showed that I didn’t have to because as Jason stood he simply stared at me with an amused look on his face. Suddenly, horrified, I realized what he must have done. Slowly I looked down at my hand that held the keys. I opened my fist and practically snarled. He had replaced my keys with Nadia’s set that look almost exactly like mine. Before I knew what I was doing I jumped out of the truck, leaving the door open, and stalked up to him so that I was so close to him that I had to crane my neck almost all the way up to see him. “Just let me leave, I don’t want you, I don’t want to stay here any longer than I have to. Jason,” I could feel my voice and eyes soften. “I can’t do this.”
He looked down at me, his brow furrowing in confusion until I said that last line. Then his brow straightened with understanding. Without a word he dug into his pocket and fished around for a second. Pulling his fist from his pocket he held something out to me. I opened my hand and something cold dropped into it. I held out Nadia’s keys and he took them silently. I slowly turned and started to walk away. I could feel his gaze on my back and I resisted the urge to look over my shoulder. This wasn’t supposed to be hard. I barely knew him. But it felt like we’ve known each other for years and I was leaving someone I loved behind. A song came on in the neighbor’s yard and I gasped in a deep breath. Forever and Always by Parachute. I hated this song, but now I could feel my eyes watering. I slid into my truck and without looking up I inserted my keys into the ignition and turned it. I backed out of the drive and as I drove away I saw him standing in the middle of the street watching me drive away. I watched in the rearview mirror until he faded from sight. I heaved a sigh and turned my attention back to the road. I turned down my street, only a few blocks down the road and before knowing it I stomped on the gas, gunning it down the road to my house. Screeching to a stop, I turned my wheels into my drive ignoring the neighbor’s surprised faces. Slamming it into park, I turned the truck off. Jumping out I stormed to the door, hearing my dog, Major, scraping at the door. I opened my door, running into my living room I flung myself onto the couch. Stuffing my face into a throw pillow I screamed like a banshee. When I looked up, breathless, I saw Major hiding under the coffee table, staring at me with wide eyes. Before I could reassure him a knock sounded at the door. My head popped up to look at the door in surprise. The neighbors never came over and I had no one that came to visit me so who could possibly be there? The knocking sounded again. I slowly got off my now squished couch to walk quietly to the door. Looking through the peep hole all I could see was the back of a man’s shirt. Opening the door I watched as Jason turned around from speaking with the neighbor. He smiled and opened his mouth to say something but he didn’t get the chance before I slammed the door in his face. The knocking began immediately. “Ash, come on! I swear I didn’t follow you if that’s what you think! Nadia dropped me off here and said to knock on your door and when I turned back around after the first knock she was driving away. I told her that I didn’t know who lived here so I shouldn’t do it but she said just to do it!”
I flung the door open and his hand was raised to knock again. He froze then started to step back as I advanced on him, anger boiling inside me. Along with something else I didn’t want to feel. Excitement. I walked up to him so close that my head was practically on his chest but that’s where I stopped. “Don’t. Lie. To. Me. Nadia wouldn’t do that to me and whether you know it or not, she cares about me enough to know when I don’t want to see someone. Especially now. Especially you.”
He grimaced and mumbled something.
“What?”
He looked up, “I said, that I wish I could show you what I feel about you. It’s been one day, just one,” he held up a finger in reference. “And the feelings I have for you are the strongest I’ve ever felt. In my entire life.”
He finished in a whisper and his eyes were soft. I stared at him. Then I slapped him. Then I kissed him. His hands came up to hold the back of my neck and the other tangled in my hair. He pushed me back through the doorway and closed in with his foot, lips never leaving mine. My arms were around his neck and I pulled him closer. The back of my legs hit the couch and I fell back onto its soft cushion, pulling him with me. We landed with a huff of air leaving the cushions and the dog came up to me, growling at the intruder. His lips left mine for just enough time to tell the dog to stand down and go away before he pressed his lips back to mine. The couch was under us one second and the next he was on his back on the floor and we were still entwined. A sudden thought passed through my head and I pushed away, gasping for air. I stumbled up while he lay on the floor, arms up as if to embrace me, with a look of shock on his face. Stumbling I ran into the kitchen and there I fell. Sitting, my back to the wall, head in my hands, I sat there and sobbed. The sobs wracked my body painfully as he walked into the kitchen, crouching beside me. Without a word he gathered me into his arms and I laid my head on his shoulder while he simply held me tight. The shoulder of his t-shirt was soaked and brittle with salty tears and my arms ached where he held them tight. I pushed away from his embrace and stood, not looking at him. I walked to the sink and grabbed a washrag. Wetting it I washed my face and only then did I look at him. Before I could stop myself I whispered, “I’m so sorry.”
He shook his head, “Don’t be sorry. I’m the one who should be sorry. I knew something had to be wrong when you slapped me but I didn’t care when you started to kiss me.” He gave a small laugh and shook his head slightly before turning serious again. He stood up and looked at me before giving a small laugh and resting a hand on the counter just beside mine. I looked at his hand, so close to mine I could feel the heat radiating off his arms. Looking up I realized that he was watching me closely. I tried to smile and he laughed. “What? I’m trying to smile.”
I said, drawing back. He shook his head with a grin, “That wasn’t a smile, that was a grimace.”
I slapped at his muscled arm and he took a quick step back. He slowly replaced his hand, this time closer to mine. I hesitantly placed my hand on top of his, without a word he turned his hand over and grasped my fingers in his large, warm ones. I gripped his hand and we both sighed. I quickly stepped away, pulling him with me.
“Let’s go for a drive, I’ll take you home later since you don’t have a ride anymore. Wait, you don’t do you?” I looked to him for confirmation. He laughed and nodded at me, gripping my hand tighter. I quickly led him to the door and snatched my keys off the key ring. Letting go of his hand I raced him the short distance to my truck. I dashed around to the driver’s side and plopped in. He quickly scrambled in, laughing as I fired it up. I backed out of my drive and looked to him, “Well, where do you want to go?”
He grinned and his eyes twinkled, “Go just past your work and take a right. I’ll tell you where to go when we get there. Actually, can I drive?”
I gave him a look and he held his hands in surrender, saying nothing. I nodded, smug and did as he asked. The young dogs behind the fence jumped and wagged their tails, barking at the truck they knew so well. I took a right at the first road and looked to him. “Next left and then go over the bridge about 200 feet.”
I nodded and curiosity finally got the best of me. “Where are we going exactly?”
He smirked and mimed zipping his lips, locking them and throwing away the key.
I grumbled, “Child.” And he laughed. I took a left and came to a small bridge. He gestured to a giant pine and said, “Stop there.”
I pulled over and before I had come to a full stop he had jumped out and disappeared around the tree. I quickly shut it down, leaving the keys, and jumped out. I was scrambling to duck under the big branches when I felt a heavy hand come around my shoulders and pull me up to the tree. I shrieked and felt, more than heard, Jason’s laugh. It rumbled across his chest and I felt it spread down my back causing me to shiver. I turned around and laughed at him. The needles from the tall tree had stuck in his hair, sticking up like little fence posts all across his head. He pointed up silently and I looked up. I didn’t see anything. I opened my mouth to ask him what I was supposed to be looking at but his strong, warm hand covered my mouth. His hand smelled of sweat and a hint of peanut butter. I glared at him and he leaned down to my height. Now, I’m not a short person at 5’7, but he made me feel short the way he had to bend so far down to reach my ear. “Look at the tenth branch up, to your right. See him?”
I looked up and located the branch he was indicating. There, sat a beautiful, brown hawk. Giant. Holding still as he was, he blended perfectly into the bark of the tree. I could see a spot of silver around his beak and left eye. I don’t know how Jason spotted him but I was kind of glad he did. The bird sat there studying us and Jason let off a small whistle. His hand was still over my mouth and I gasped as the giant bird swooped down to meet Jason’s, now leather covered arm that was raised towards it. His arm drooped as the bird landed. I could now see what the spot of silver I had spotted was. It was an eye patch that covered the entire left side of his scarred face. Half his beak was gone and his entire left wing was moved out of place. He never held it fully to his side. I could feel my eyes watering as I inspected his ruined face and side. Jason slowly lifted his hand from my face and used it to pet the giant birds head. It nibbled at his shirt and he laughed. Reaching into his pocket he pulled a cookie out and handed it to the bird. It crunched it and then the cookie disappeared.
“His name’s Survivor. When he was young, just out of the nest, a fox got ahold of him. He was still small at the time, to small to protect himself. If I hadn’t been hiking here he would have died. He lives in this tree and I come to see him everyday. It’s been three years since he was attacked and he has yet to leave this area.” I looked at the bird and reached my hand out to pet him but he took off from Jason’s arm, landing in a branch above our heads. He was so heavy that the branch drooped enough to touch my head lightly. I stared up at him and as I did I felt Jason watching me. I looked back at him and his eyes were soft, I felt around for his hand and felt it envelope mine.
“Wow. You saved his life, and now he’s devoted to you? Like, as in, he belongs to you?”
He shook his head, a small smile on his face.
“He belongs to the trees, to the sky, to everything except me.”
I nodded, of course. I looked back up as Survivor took off from the branch, whapping us both in the head. I reached for his hand and we hugged, standing there simply holding each other. I looked down at my watch after a while, it was almost eight. He reluctantly pulled away and, our hands still intertwined, we walked back to the truck. He nodded at the driver’s seat and I grudgingly allowed him to lead me to the passenger’s seat. He opened the door for me and I climbed in. Feeling mischievous I reached over and snatched the keys out of the ignition before he got to the door. Climbing in he went to turn the keys but his hand clutched at empty air. He looked down at the floorboards and I accidently let out a small giggle as he searched for the missing keys. He looked at me before holding his hand out. I giggled and dropped them into his hand. He grimaced and stuck them in the ignition, starting my truck with a roar.
He shook his head, “This is the kind of truck that a guy could get used to.” He closed his eyes and revved the engine.
I smacked him on the shoulder, “Don’t get to used to it, your lucky your driving this at all. You are the first person minus my dad who has driven this truck other than me.”
He gave me a look out of the side of his eye and put it into park. He turned it around with ease, as if he had been driving this monster of a truck his whole life. I shook my head and he laughed as if he knew what I was thinking, which wouldn’t really surprise me. Lots of impossible things had been happening lately. One, he was driving my truck, two I had fallen in love with a man I barely knew for a day, three, Nadia lied to me, and four, I had seen a hawk and almost touched it. I don’t know what was happening to me but I think in didn’t mind it. For once I didn’t have to be in control all the time. And, I liked it. I was glad I could sit back and just relax. And that’s exactly what I did too. I leaned my seat back and curled up in a ball. He looked over at me and I smiled to reassure him. He laughed at me then he looked back at the road. That’s when he swerved. And that’s when we dived into the ditch.