Lakehouse | Teen Ink

Lakehouse

By shaniasteenhard, San Diego, California
shaniasteenhard, San Diego, California

Author's note: I was inspired by a another love story book i read

The lake house that’s where it all started… Sure, it was the best thing that happened in my life but it’s a day I would want to forget. Me and him were perfect for each other, but she was always in the way. That day in the lake house when he said “I love you” can change a girl's life. Hi I am Lali, and this is my crazy love story.

Vincent and I were always good friends, he was the type of guy you don’t typically see hanging out with a girl like me. He longed for attention. He was your typical jock mean, stubborn, confusing, and most of all annoying but all those things just made me love him even more, but to me I can’t be with a guy like him. Things he does just make my day, just makes me smile. The way he tries to dress casual and smell good. How he spends more than 10 minutes on his hair. The way he plays it cool when he knows he did something stupid, but what gets me the most about him is that he's always there for me. I remember in the fifth grade, during lunch every student wanted to eat so they ran like wild animals towards the food line pushing me to the floor. Guess who was there to pick me up? My prince charming Vincent of course! As much as I want to say he is. If I can, I would just ask him out myself, but my self-confidence is pretty low. I’m no supermodel or anything but on the inside i'm caring and nice one of those nice girls. Unlike Vincent’s current girlfriend Erika, yes you can define her as a model but her personality is just horrible. She is your typical social, popular diva. To Erika the world revolves around her and I mean only her. She treats poor Vincent like a mule. “Vincent get me this, Vincent get me that!” with her bossy voice. But Vincent being the angel he is does it for her anyway. She was actually my friend in the beginning until she changed and started acting like she runs the whole world.

Anyways on to the story, so Vincent and I were in theater practicing our part in Romeo and Juliet. Yes I got the role, I really didn't audition, Vincent preferred for me to be his partner instead of this other girl who was not really good for the part. Mrs. Smith our theater teacher agreed and bam! I got the role. While Vincent was rehearsing the line where he kneels down and dies with Juliet. I couldn't help but look into his hazel eyes and blurted out “I love you”…. I immediately stood up and stuttered wrong line sorry! Playing it cool, good thing that the class fell for it as Mrs. Smith said to me pay attention! The bell rang for us to go to our advisory class, which wasn't fun I don't get to see Vincent. That’s the only class I don't ever see him, but luckily my best friend forever was in that class her name was Angel. She was like my twin, my mini me except she didn't drool or trip every time she saw Vincent. When I saw her walk in to class I rapidly ran to her to tell what I had done in theater.

“Angel!” I yelled

“What?” Angel looking confused

“ I...I..I”

“ You what!?” she yelled

“Oh my gosh, I told Vincent I love him!” I yelled

“You what!! Are you kidding!?” she gasped

“Okay not technically, I just blurted it out when I saw his eyes…”

“Wow Lalil, control your self,” Angel looking serious

“I know , I know”

“Be careful, Erika might find out you did that.”

“She wont cause I played it cool saying that it was the wrong line.”

“Okay… goodluck”

“No worries”

As I was about to tell her more about Vincent Mr.Novak gave us a glare that shut us both up. Time goes fast in that class we really don't do anything but go on our phones. So Angel and I just played candy crush till the bell rang to go home. I went to my locker to grab my backpack and then I saw Vincent and Erika fighting. I couldn't help but look and see what was happening. Erika was yelling at him about something, that Vincent wasn't a good guy and he always care about himself and she doesn't love him anymore that she found someone else Bernie, Vincents best friend since birth. Then after all the yelling you see a slap coming towards Vincent's face and then silence. Erika storming out, leaving Vincent with a red hand print across his face. I walked towards him and asked

“You okay best friend?”

“Yeah…”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, its just who does that?”

“people who don't have kind hearts…..” I murmured

“Yeah, she doesn't have one”

“I know Vincent”

“Thanks Lali your always there for me”
“You’re welcome, Im happy to.”

“Lali do you think we can hang out tomorrow?”

“Uh… What?”

“If you don’t want to it's okay….”

“I do!”

“Oh okay great, see you tomorrow then?”

“Um yes!!!”

“haha okay, well I gotta go my ride is here.”

“oh okay bye.”

Then Vincent gave me a hug then left. I could have not been more happy! Did this really just happen? Pinch me please. I need to find cloths! I need to tell Angle, so many things were going on to my head that when I was walking I fell on Erika.

“Ew, Get off of me” Erika shouted

“Excuse me..” I said

“You got your germs on me!”

“What?”

“Ew who are you”

“I’m Lali, you don't remember?”

“Um I don't know you, weirdo.”

“Okay…”

“Bye Loser”

As Erika walked away, I was thinking of throwing my shoe at her.I tried to be calm and just thought about tomorrow. What was I gonna wear? Finally my Dad came and picked me up and we drove home. I got to my room falling on my bed, back first. Then slowly I fell asleep, dreaming about my fairytale ending. I was a princess who fell asleep because the evil witch Erika, casted an evil spell. My prince charming Vincent came with his armour and everything his noble steed knocked the door down to the castle. Vincent came up stairs and saw me laying down. He looked at me, and our lips were so close, as i was about to kiss him. Until I was woken up with a text. when i woke up my lips were puckering up . I stopped and returned to my normal face. I looked at the text and it was from a random number. I was wondering who was it. So my curiosity I texted back saying

“Hey who is this?”

“guess” they texted back in a quick

“Milea?”

“uh haha no”

“please can I know?”

“okay, Im a boy”

“Uh? Steve?”

“Oh Lali, its me Vincent”

I just dropped my phone and screamed. Hes texting me now?
This day is getting more perfect. I picked up my phone and looked at it for I swear hours. Until i finally texted back

“Hi Vincent O.O”

“Ha ha ha ha ha.”

“Laughing a lot I see?”

“Sorry Lali, the way you're texting me ha ha ha”

“ Oh my bad, but who did you get this number from?”

“I know people (:”

“You’re being a stalker much?”

“No, sorry i got it from angel is that okay?”

“Yeah its all good (:”

“ha ha ha okay”

“Thanks for the help back there Lali”
“Your welcome, how you feel?”

“To be honest I feel hurt, I know I may not look like I have feelings but i do. and she hurt them, With my own best friend to? They didn’t even tell me things were going on between them. I just don’t believe that,”

“Its okay, she doesn’t deserve you,
Vincent your kind, nice, and just the perfect guy don't worry you will find the right girl for you,”

“i know i will i hope i do i just need to find her, maybe she is right in front of me but i just can’t see it”

“Yeah, you’re right she might, Like really she maybe right be in front of you, just look harder”

“You’re right lol I will (:”

“Haha good.”

“But what I said to you, do you wanna hang out?” o:

“OH MY GOSH YES!”

“Lol okay dont have to scream”

“Oh my bad..”

“Just kidding with you”

“Oh okay.“

“But can we hang at lunch,”

“Oh um yeah. (:”

“Haha we have Mrs. Ray together so we can walk together.”

“Yeah we have almost have every class.”

“Really? I did not know that.”

“Yeah.”

“Oh i should notice you more.”

“No its fine.”

“Lol but I should i think your really… pretty...”

When he said that I fainted and I needed water, I saved that message. I will keep it as a memory, thats not weird it was just for my sake, he had called me pretty. Vincent Howard had called me pretty.

“Thanks, um… sure… I… am...”

“You are, trust me (:”

“Kay bro.. so whats up”

“About to head to football practice, I will talk to you later (:”

“Haha okay.. “

“Bye (:”

I just stood and froze because that is right, I'm going to hang out with him. I looked at my closet. It looked empty, no good clothes just regular shirts and pants. I called Angel to see if she wanted to hang out with me and buy some new clothes. Luckily, she said yes. We went to a mall near by Fashion Valley. We headed straight to Forever Twenty One. Angel knew I wasn’t the kind of girl who dressed cute, nor put on make up. If I did that I would probably look weird or look like a clown. It took us forever to find the right outfit, but then I saw this dress, it was like a sign because lights were on it and I could hear the angels sing from above when I saw it. I went to the fitting room and tried it on, it was a pretty, black dress. The hem of the dress fell right where my knees are, so at least I could walk. I stepped out and saw Angel’s jaw drop to the floor. At first I didn’t know if she saw me as a beast or a princess. Then, she pushed me in front of the mirror and I saw that I actually looked pretty for once. Even the guy waiting in the fitting room gave me a look, this was the dress. I haven’t looked at the price, I was scared to. Then, I saw it cost a whole 200 dollars. I didn’t have that money. I have 50 bucks, thats all. I was sad because I really wanted that dress. Angel said she was going to pay for it. I didn’t want her to because that would be too much. Angel, being my best friend and all insisted that she will buy it and I left the mall with what I think was the most beautiful dress in the world. I went home to find everyone asleep so I quietly went to my room and set up what I was going to wear. Then, I fell asleep. The next morning came by fast and a smile went across my face when I saw my phone. Vincent sent me a goodmorning text, I replied with a simple morning with a big smiling face. My mood was ruined as I saw the time. It was 7:00 am, I was running out of time and my dad was already yelling at me to hurry. I ran like the wind, took a shower, put on my black dress, got my hair ready and out the door I went. I was really scared about today, what if I embarrassed myself? I know this will be a bad idea, but I had faith in myself. As I arrived, school people looked at me differently. I guess it was a good look because I got some compliments along the way. Then I walked into first period to see Vincent with a smile on his face waving at me. I waved back and quickly sat at my seat since I was already late anyway. Class went by slowly. Vincent and I gazed at each other the whole time, every single class we had we just seemed to stare at each other. Then, the bell rang to go to lunch. I pretended to dig through my bag and when I peeked out I saw Vincent.

“Hey! Lali are you ready?”

“Oh hi! Am I ready for what?”

“To hang out. You said we can.”

“Of course!”

Then we walked together to the lunch line, it was pretty long. Instead, Vincent and I went to the taco shop. We sat on the table and just talked.

“You look really beautiful today” He said.

“So, I look ugly every other day?” I said jokingly.

“No! but did you look pretty just for me?”

“Maybe…”

“Aw, you’re to funny Lali.”

“Whatever Vincent.”

Vincent and I just continued to talk and have a good time. Then, Vincent and I went back to school and went to our advisory. Vincent gave me a hug then asked me a question
“Lali, would you like...”

“Like to what?!”

“Well all the seniors are staying at my parent’s lake house and I was hoping if you think you want to come and stay for a week?”

“Oh, um?”

“Yeah its like a farewell party for Tom, you know the quarterback.”

“I would love to, but I have to ask my parents.”

“Well I hope they say yes, I bet they will, I know how much your mom loves me.”

“Whatever! Go to class”

“Yeah I hope you can go, I would really love to spend time with you.”

“Me too, Vincent”

Then the bell rang. We were late, I ran to class to see Mr.Novak looking at me.

“Why are you late!?”

“Sorry, I was at the… uh...nurse.”

“Okay just take seat.”

Angel seemed to be missing from the class. I wondered where she was. I asked to go to the bathroom to go find Angel and there in the hallway was Tom and Angel talking. She looked really sad and Tom looked really angry, they both secretly had feelings for each other, but no one really knew what was going on between them. As I watched Tom leaned over and kissed Angel. I almost screamed but I stopped myself. Then Tom left Angel crying, I ran to her and she cried on my shoulders not saying anything about what happened. I felt bad for Angel because I knew how much she liked Tom, as much as I liked Vincent. I walked with her back to class. Everyone was dying to know what had happened. I just looked at everybody and told them to mind their own business.
I stood quiet and let angle cry it all out till the bell rang and we had to leave. she looked at me looking really hurt, i really wanted to know what had happened but angle didn't look like she really wanted to talk, or the fact she wanted to hear what happened with me and vincent

“Angel you okay?”

“Mhm...just go.”

“Angel...”

“Lali just go, your dad is probably waiting for you.”

“Okay, Angel.”

I felt bad leaving Angel all alone, but she really looked like she wanted to be alone. I saw my dad pull up and we went back to our daily routine. He would ask how my day was and we would go home. I went to my room and laid down trying to process what has happened this whole week, and how I am able to tell my parents if I could go to Vincent’s lake house party and stay there for a week. I practiced how to approach my parents, my mom and dad were okay with me going places, but they had to be there. I'm 18 now and I wondered if their thoughts changed on that I approached them downstairs in the dinner table bring up good news that i have straight A’s then spoke

“Mom, dad can i ask you something?”

Sure honey” my mom replied while my dad nodded looking at the news paper

“well you all know vincent right?”

“oh yes that sweet little boy, hes like your best friend honey” my mom giggled

“yeah well mom he invited me to go to his Mr. and Mrs. Howard’s lake house for a week its our seniors party and I was wondering if I can go?”

My mom smiled and nodded, but my dad put his newspaper down and gave me a look.

“I dont know about that Lali who will look after you?”

“Dad there will be staff there and his parents, please let me go”

“Lali, I don't know about this.”

“Dad please!”

“Oh okay Lali you can go, but you have to call us everyday.”

“Yes daddy!”

I quickly ate my food. Then ran upstairs to tell Vincent the good news.

“Vincent, I can go!” I texted him

Then I see my phone ringing Vincent calling me.

“Uh hello?”

“Lali, can you really?”

“Yes! when is it?”

“This Friday.”

“We’re off the whole week because of Thanksgiving break so those whole days too

haha yeah that seems cool do we need anything?

haha nothing just a week worth of clothes maybe you could bring your friend Angel, Tom seems to really like her,

“I don’t think thats not a good idea...I saw them fighting and then it lead to Angel crying”

“Really omg dang I got to talk to tom about this,

“no dont vincent please”

okay i wont but yeah he did really like her

i know she really did like him but i guess he just didn't care..

he did care, but hes just having a bit of problems but he does want her just believe me

oh okay i do but i really feel bad for angel i hope everything will be okay for her

dont worry you and me right

what you mean,

i mean you and me got there backs

ha ha ha yeah your right

so il pick you up this friday okay

okay vincent, il call you later i have to pack,

why so early?

friday is in two days!!

oh yeah ha ha ha you're right

i gotta get going too

ha ha ha okay byee

byee

i got off the phone rushing to my pink suitcase packing everything i needed. i was really excited to spend time with vincent and i'm sure he asking me out is days away. Thursdays went by and it was the usual wake up, go to school, see vincent then go home and go to sleep. as i knew it Friday was here everybody in school was getting ready to get out and enjoy thanksgiving break it was 7th period and mr.novak was giving a lecture but no one was paying one single attention everyones head was staring at the clock. seconds away from a teenages freedom. tick tock tick tock the clock went until finally. ring ring ring. the bell rang everybody in the class threw their papers in the air screaming out the door. as i was about to go leave the class I was stopped by mr.novak he glared at me and told me to sit down. i sat and wondered what was going on

mr.novak started speaking but from what i heard coming out of his mouth was blah blah collage blah blah you have been accepted blah blah then i snapped out of it.

Mr. Novak I’ve been accepted?

yes, they will love to interview you next month

Thats great! I was overwhelmed with joy that I ended up falling out of my seat
cleaning my self up i gave mr.novak a goodbye and went home. i went to my room getting everything ready then i heard a doorbell i ran downstairs to answer it but i was to late there was vincent standing with a suitcase to go and my dad looking and staring at him making sure he was up to no good i yelled “oh vincent come in” then my dad looked at me surpised that i was there

hey vincent

lali are you ready

yeah let me get my case

lali you be careful you hear me my dad yelling as i was getting my suitcase

i will

don't worry sir lali is in great hands vincent kinda scared to reply

she better be

yes dad i will be back in a week bye yelling back from up stairs

i gave my dad a kiss on the cheek then me and vincent finally left, we got into his car it was really nice the newest model of the mustang and it was pretty fast we got to the lake house in no time. it was really pretty and everybody from the whole school was there i mean everyone it was packed. vincent showed me to my cabin to find angel there as my roommate! i was pretty happy and i guess angel was too. vincent left saying he would be back in fifteen minutes and if we need help anything he was the cabin next door.

angel you're here?!?!?!

yeah i wouldn't let you have the fun

are you sure you're okay

yes im fine lets not bring that up okay lets just have fun here

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha okay lets do it

we went out of the cabin and explored the lake house before the party was gonna start it was such a gorgeous sight to see the lake glizened and stood still it was night and the moon was shinging brighter then the stars it was just perfect. me and angel got kinda lost we didnt quite kniw where the party was so we followed the huge group of student going to a near by cabin where everybody was just going crazy. loud music and everybody dancing i tried to hold on to angel but we were soon separated because there was so many people pushing and shoving then

i bump into vincent he was dressed so nice i was still in my shirt and shorts. vincent i just started to dance he instead but i couldent dance then a slow song came on and he pulled me to him and said if i can dance you can to. we started off slow me wobbling and falling down until finally i got the hang of it i felt like cinderella and this was my ball. i could see everybody having a goodtime and from out of now where the witch came erika…. she just glared at me, but you know what i just smiled because i was happy with vincent and for once i was happy. vincent pulled me to the lake house where we started a fire and stared at the stars we did this for about an hour until vincent got up and held my hands

lali these past few days with you have been amazing

thanks vincent i'm having fun with you too

and i thinks its the right time to tell you

ha ha tell me what?

well lali

yes ha ha vincent come on tell me haha you're killing me

i..i...i.. love you

you what….

i love you i have all these years i just felt like you never loved me……

Vincent i do love you

you do?

yes i have for a long time but i thought you will never like a girl like me

of course i do

then me and vincent looked at each other vincent lead close i was about to kiss him then everyone yelled it was time to blow the cake. that moment was ruined but we smiled and laugh and went inside everybody gathered around tom i saw angel near him i guess they're better now because they seemed really happy everybody was saying they were gunna miss tom and then person by person everybody giving a speech then angel spoke.

i'm really glad to have you met you life has been a bit happier and i hate to see you go but as they say if you love something let it go if it comes back to you then its yours

everybody said aww and tom gave him speech

im happy to have everybody here thank you for your love and support i couldn't be any happier, angel i will always love you and dont worry i will come back and one day we'll be together forever. see thats true love i hope me and vincent have that i still couldn't believe he loves me the party was finally over and everybody was heading to their cabins and i wanted to go to mine vincent walk me there and said goodnight and kissed my forehead i smiled and went straight to bed not bothering to see if angel was there. morning came as usal the rooster waking everybody up. me to lazy to get up laid in bed. then i was pushed onto the floor by angel she was yelling and screaming saying omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i tiredly said what? let me get some sleep girl
not tell me about what happened with you and vincent he likes???

my eyes opened where did you hear that from?

everyone knows it! i just heard vincent made it a official that you were gonna be his girl

well that spread fast practically like wild fire

yes that did tell me lali

angel all i know is i finally have vincent

omg aw

how about you i saw what happened with you and tom last night

yeah we worked it out he came and talked to me and everything is perfect

thats good

well enough about me lali get ready lets go find vincent

haha okay

i put on my best good looking clothes and we left the cabin we tried to look for vincent but we couldn't find him anywhere so me and angel decided to go to the lake and go paddle boarding it wasn't that fun i fell about five times and angel about ten it was getting dark already and i still couldn't find him i tried calling and texting but it says his phone is busy then i got a call i thought it was from vincent but it was SDSU the collage i was going to

hello?

hi lali this is the head conical of the college you don't have to come in by next month for the interview because we accept you now and we were wondering if you can come here to new york and attend your last months here at the high school of washington its no biggie its a paid trip and everything we would just love to improve your intelligence if thats okay with you?

let me think about it sir and i will get to you on that as soon as possible

thank you lali we would love to hear you soon

yes sir bye

i got off the phone shocked i didn't know what to do, leave everything behind for a brighter future or stay with people who i love and make me happy i was walking back to my cabin when there were rose lined up to the vincent cabin i followed it and there vincent was with a big teddy smiling

vincent i was looking everywhere for you

sorry lali i had to avoid you because i planned this night just for us.

aw really?

yes so follow me my lady

me and vincent went into kitchen of the lake house and there was a table and flowers and with good smelling food we sat down and talked about everything he held my hand and it was my perfect night we spent every moment together and it couldn't have been better until it was the last day and i had to tell vincent about washington. I knocked by his cabin but no one answered i went to the kitchen he wasn't there then angel running towards me pulled me near the lake house where vincent said i love you to me there i saw erika and vincent talking and saying stuff i couldn't quite hear but then one good look at them they kissed…… i just froze and that broke my heart and i ran crying to my cabin vincent saw and tried to catch me he knocked on my cabin saying it wasn't his fault that erika kissed him but he could have step back

I yelled and screamed leave me alone i hate you, i thought you loved me but thanks for getting my hopes up just get out of here i don't want to ever see you. this made my mind that i was happy to got to washington to get out of vincent's life. by the way don't ever try to call me again or try to talk to me im leaving for washington and i don't want you to be bothering me okay.. i said trying to toughen up but lali it wasn't me i love you please dont do this please dont leave me vincent just go just go…. vincent finally left and that whole day felt like sadness and betray and everything was just not going my way i wanted to just get out my heart was grieving so much of pain i packed my bags and called my dad to pick me up i went to my car driving back home leaving my memories where someone said they loved me and when someone broke my heart into two pieces. I went to my room, where I usually go. I layed in my bed staring at the wall. Looking how empty everything was, how my life was empty. I tried to think about the positive going to washington and going to college. That was just a few days away and i was excited but very sad to leave. Im leaving everything i know behind but thinking about it can be good thing to. No more Vincent right. I kept some of the cloths i had in my pink suitcase, then added more. My parents soon came inside my room telling me how much they loved to be my parents and they love me no matter what. I thought about what they said my parents never did me wrong, so i won’t wrong them. It was the day i was waiting for leaving san diego and heading to washington. My parents dropped me off near the airport

I hugged and gave them a kiss one last time and step forward to my new journey