At Daybreak | Teen Ink

At Daybreak

January 17, 2014
By Keweyeverride BRONZE, Hickory, North Carolina
More by this author
Keweyeverride BRONZE, Hickory, North Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If no one in the world cared about you, did you really exist at all?" - Cassandra Clare


Author's note: This is one of the easiest things I have ever written. Like it didn't take me forever to write it.

“Mom. I’m bored.”, I told her as she was filing a customers’ nails. 

“Go read the book you brought with you.”, she responded without looking up.

I sighed and plopped down on a chair and opened my book. The soft tinkling of the bells hanging on the door caught my attention. I smoothly got up and walked to the lady.
 
“Welcome to NC Nails, how can I help you?”, I asked politely, flashing her a professional smile.

“Sandra, you didn’t tell me how beautiful your daughter was!”, the woman gushed at my mom. She looked me up and down and told me I was beautiful. 
 
“Thanks.”, I said sheepishly. I didn’t truly believe her. All of mom’s customers said that about me so I just learned to accept it and move on.
 
“It’s nice to meet you Haley. I’m Riley and I would like a pedicure please. French tips.” , she said with a smile.
 
I nodded and walked over to a pedicure chair and got it started. I’m so awkward, I thought. 
 
“Tell me if the water ever gets too hot or too cold.”, I said robotically for the 50 millionth time today. She nodded, slipped in, smiled, and gave me a thumbs up.
 
I was about to start reading again when these five guys around my age came in, shoving the door open and making the chimes ring furiously. They were all laughing hysterically.

“So the guy stumbles towards me and was like ‘Hey you little shi-”, one of them screamed but was interrupted by Riley. 
 
“Brody! Manners please! You boys need to stop being so immature!”, she yelled with flush from the pedicure chair. The boys composed themselves. 
 
“Mom,”, one of the boys spoke up walking across the room to her and kissing her on the cheek. “The guys and I are sorry. It won’t happen again.” 

Riley sighed before nodding. “Sebastian, make sure to apologize to the others too and It’ll be around 30 to 40 minutes before I'm done so if you want to walk around to the neighboring stores you can.” His friends and him whooped. 
 
I ducked my head to hide my smile but Sebastian saw me and he grinned. He walked over to me and extended a hand. “The name’s Sebastian. Sebastian Sage. I didn’t quite catch yours.”, he said in perfect english. He was extremely attractive. The girls at my school would probably swoon if they saw him. His eyes were a startling color that looked like a mix between blue and purple. He had long jet black hair that flopped over his eyes. 
 
I took his hand and shook it. 

“The name’s Haley. Haley Nguyen. You didn’t ‘quite catch’ my name because I never said anything.”, I mimicked him with a smirk. The other four boys walked over to me. A really bulky one shoved Sebastian to the side, making Sebastian smash his face into the wall. He had chocolate brown hair and brown eyes. 
 
“I’m Brody Smith. It’s nice to meet you Haley.”, he said with a mischievous grin. Sebastian peeled himself from the wall and rubbed his face as Brody shook my hand. His friends whooped with laughter. 
 
“I think you over did that Brody.”, Sebastian said; laughing himself. Brody only grunted.

“Hello Haley, it was a pleasure to meet you. My name is Roman Bennet.”, someone said with a slight accent. I turned from the scene smiling to see a tall boy looking down at me. He was lean and muscular. He had brown hair that was paired with greenish hazel eyes. I smiled at him. 
 
“It’s a pleasure to meet you too Roman.” Roman smiled and waved his hand towards a boy with icy blue eyes and pale blonde hair. He was strikingly beautiful. 
 
“That is Luca White. He’s cold at first and closed off when you first meet him but once you get to know him, he’s cool.” Luca only walked outside in response. Okay, I thought. Nice to meet you too.
 
Sebastian stole my attention as he called out to the last boy. 

“Come on Allister, don’t be shy. She won’t bite.”, he said winking at me.

Allister had black hair and black eyes with an olive skin complexion. The boy shyly walked forward with his shoulders slightly slumped and his thumbs shoved into his jean pockets. He didn’t make eye contact as he mumbled a barely audible hi. 
 
Sebastian looked at me curiously as we all stood there awkwardly. I turned to face him. 
 
“What?”, I asked. 

“Can I have your number?”, he asked.
 
I was completely and utterly shocked. This must be a joke I thought.  5 hot guys talking to me was hardly believable not to mention the fact that the hottest one in my opinion was asking for my number? This must be a dream. I just gaped at him.
 
“I’m taking that as a no?”, he asked. He pulled out a pen from his pocket, clicked it, and grabbed my hand.
 
“Well if you aren’t giving me your number, I’ll give you mine.”, he said smiling while writing on the palm of my hand. When he was done, he slowly brought my hand to his lips and pressed them against the back of my hand. I felt myself blushing but also thinking about how sweet that was. He smiled and turned back to the guys who were ready to leave. 
 
“GET SOMMEEE!”, they screamed in a chorus while laughing and slapping him on the back.

I frowned as the chorus of Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepson poured out of the speakers. Hey I just met you and this is crazy but here’s my number so call me maybe. So cheesy I thought. 
 
Luca joined them again as they stepped outside. I sighed and went back to work. Today was an interesting day but it would soon become a memory and that was all. Or so I thought.
 
Mom made me do a lot of things and by the end of the day my hands smelled like acetone and feet. I tried not to gag as I got into her car and we drove home. 
 
I pulled out my phone, put my headphones in, and was about to lean back when something caught my eye. I looked down at my hand and his number was still there on the palm of my hand. I smiled as I thought of the 5 Weirdoes. 

“Those boys were weird and rude huh?”, mom asked out of nowhere. I jumped out of my thoughts. 

“No, not really. They’re teenage boys mom.”, I said frowning.
 
“I hope your brother doesn’t turn out like that. It’s impolite.”, she criticized. I just rolled my eyes and turned up my music to drown out her lecture. 

I looked down at my hand and saw that the number was smearing and fading. Without even thinking about what I was doing, I saved him in my contacts. I didn’t plan on calling him or texting him but I still felt like saving his number was the right thing to do.
           

*~* Thank you so much for reading. I know this is sort of boring but it will get better or at least I hope it will. I hope you enjoyed this especially since I have an exam tomorrow but I wrote instead. It calms me down a lot... but yay I finished this is a couple of hours which is awesome for me. It took me 2 months to do 2 pages once. Jeez. *~*

As I walked into mom’s shop the next morning to start work again I saw a foreign object sitting on the arm of a pedicure chair. I walked over to it to see that it was a fancy pair of sunglasses. I remember seeing Riley take these off. Crap, I thought. I need to get these back to her. 
I thought about calling Sebastian about it. 
So I did. 
“Hello? If this is a commercial call, I don’t want your worthless s***. If this is Rose, I told you that it’s over. Don’t call me again. It’ll be a clean break if you just let it be-” I interrupted him.
“Sebastian. It’s me Haley.”, I said abruptly. Who's Rose?, I wondered. There was a pause and someone was playing a beautiful song on the piano in the background. There was a bunch of laughter before Sebastian spoke again. Perhaps he forgot about me? Or maybe he was joking when he said I could call him. 
“Hey Haley! What’s up?”, he asked, sounding excited. 
  “Riley left her sunglasses yesterday.”, I said without matching the enthusiasm.
 “Oh. Of course. I’ll tell her.”, he said sounding a little disappointed. Someone was now furiously pounding a beat on a set of drums. 
  “I have to go alright? Bye.” I hung up without waiting for an answer. 
  As the day slowly trudged on, customers came and left. And before I knew it, it was time to go home. I collected my things and checked my phone. There were a ton of messages that greeted me.
  Three were from Sebastian:
 “How rude of you to hang up on me.”
 “Mom said she’ll get her glasses tomorrow and thanks.”
  “Haley, are you single?”
 
I frowned at the last one and responded, “I had to work and I couldn’t hear you over the drums. And why?”
 I looked at my other messages. One was from Russel and another from Nathaniel. My heart skipped a beat at the last name. I had a crush on him for a few years. I decided that I would move on but  some part of me will always like him. 
 Russel said, “Hey w***e, how’s your summer going?”
 I smiled and texted, “Hey f*g, it’s good, yours?”
  I opened the one from Nathaniel eagerly, “Hey Haley. How is your summer? It’s been a little while since we’ve last spoken.” 
  Shortly after I responded to Nathaniel, 5 new messages appeared on my screen. 1 from Sebastian and the rest were from unknown numbers. As I opened them, I realized that now all of the boys knew my number and I knew all of theirs. I smiled and saved them in my contacts. 
  Sebastian never answered my question but all of the texts were similar. They wanted me to hang out with them sometime. We made plans to meet tomorrow and spend all day hanging out. 
 I didn’t know what happened to me since normally I wouldn’t voluntarily hang out with strangers but I felt comfortable around them. Which was surprising. I usually found it very hard to make friends.
They would surprise me about where we were going and asked me to wear a dress which raised my suspicions but still I found myself looking forward to tomorrow. 
  When I got home, I set my alarm clock for 7 am and was about to ask my parents about whether or not I could go. Before I could ask my mother told me that she had an early appointment tomorrow and she would be gone all day. Dad was going to be at work and he had to help his friend fix their car. My brother had volunteer work which meant that they would be gone all day and no one would know I was not going to be at home. I smiled at how perfectly this all worked out. 
 I walked over to my closet and picked out the dress I wanted to wear. It was made of jean fabric from top to bottom. The dress was simple other than the part where it was cinched in at the waist. Simple stitchings of triangles and tribal shapes were stitched in white onto the bottom hem. 
  More dressy than jeans and a t shirt but still casual, I thought. I brushed my teeth, showered, and got ready for bed.
  I decided to read a few pages before going to bed but a few pages turned into the entire book. When I had finished, my eyes felt strained and it was 1 in the morning. Crap, I thought. I have to wake up early tomorrow. 
 
I put my book on my desk, turned off the lights, and was out before my head hit the pillow.

Chapter 3


I was jerked from my deep sleep by my alarm clock. What the crap? I thought. It’s summer I can sleep in if I want to. I groaned, rolled over, and tried to turn off the alarm with my eyes closed.

 I managed to knock off half the things on my desk and an entire of bucket of colorful rocks for decorations off my table. They clattered onto the floor, making a huge racket. I’ll clean it up later, I thought. I rolled over one more time in a failed attempt to try to turn off the alarm while still in bed. Instead, I rolled off the bed, slammed my head on the edge of my table, and crashed to the floor with a loud thud. 
 
The fallen rocks dug into the skin of my back. Oww I’m awake now. I thought. I think my ass shattered in the process and I may have cracked my skull. I exaggerated dully. I laid there for a while before getting up carefully. I picked everything up and put it all back onto my desk. I sighed before flopping back onto my bed. I glared at my alarm clock and saw that it was 8:01. 
 
I think I’m forgetting something, I thought. I just shrugged and grabbed my phone. Two text messages from Sebastian greeted me.

 “Are you excited?” had been sent an hour ago. 

 “One more hour! :P” had been sent a minute ago.

 I sat there confused before realization crashed on me. “F***!”, I exclaimed. 
 
“F***, f***, f***, f***, f***.”, I jumped off the bed, ignored my sore ass and jarring head pain, grabbed my dress I had carefully laid out yesterday, grabbed my toothbrush, and ran into the bathroom. 
 
I showered as fast as humanly possible while managing to brush my teeth in the shower and dried myself off. I threw on my dress, (thankful that I decided to shave my legs yesterday) ran to my room, smeared on deodorant, racked a comb through my hair, and speedily pulled it into an elaborate braid. I glanced at the time.
 
8:36.
 
I sighed in relief and slowed down. I took time on my make up trying to make sure it was perfect or close to it anyway. When I had just finished dabbing on perfume, someone rang the doorbell. I flounced down the stairs, taking two at a time and opened the door.
 
Sebastian stood before me breathtakingly beautiful just as he was two days ago. He smiled and the skin around his blue eyes crinkled. He held something out to me. I reluctantly tore my gaze from his face and looked down to see him holding out a deep red rose. 
 
I glanced back at him surprised.

“You look beautiful.”, he remarked. That surprised me even more  A searing pain in my skull revived me and I silently groaned before smiling up at him.
 
“Thanks for the rose and you don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m far from beautiful.”, I said. 
 
I excused myself before he could say anything else. I quickly ran into the house, grabbed a vase, filled it with water, and stuck the rose in it. I smiled before going back outside and into the van where every one sat waiting. 

“So... Where are we going?”, I asked. 
 
“A surprise is a surprise. You’ll see when we get there.”, Roman answered me. He looked me up and down.
 
“You look pretty.”, he said still eyeing me. I responded with a meek thanks and turned to look out the window. Before I knew it, I found the view a bit too close as my face was smashed roughly against the window. Ouch. What’s up with me getting hurt today? The other boys were grabbing onto random things, trying to keep themselves upright as Brody turned sharply and abruptly. Jesus, I thought. Someone needs to tell Brody to calm down. 
 
I rubbed my face and squeezed my eyes shut as my head started pounding. 
 
“Haley are you okay?”, someone asked. I looked up to see that a concerned Luca was staring at me. I was shocked. I thought you hated me. What’s up with this mood change?, I thought. I only nodded, then winced.
 
“Sorry. We should’ve told you that Brody was driving and that means that you have to hold on to something if you don’t want to come flying out of one the windows or the windshield.”, he said with a slight smirk. I grinned back at him.
 
“Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind the next time you guys ask me to hang out with you.”, I responded. Throughout the rest of the chatty car ride I clung onto the handlebar that was next to my head. 
 
The car came to a stop at an abandoned warehouse. It had obviously been repaired. There were random splotches here and there of the old warehouse but most of it was newly built. 
 
“We’re hereeeeee.”, Brody sang. I just stared at all of them incredulously. 
 
“Y-You’re serious?”, I asked. I just stared at the building with a wariness and suspicion. 
 
“Come on let’s go inside.”, Sebastian said. 
 
I reluctantly got out of the car and they led me up to the door. Sebastian pulled out a key and opened it. Despite the exterior, the inside of the warehouse was extremely clean and well organized. There was a desk in the corner with lots of paper stacked neatly upon it. In the center of the warehouse were two guitars connected to their amps, a bass, an electric keyboard, 2 microphone stands, and a drum set strategically set up as if though a rock band was about to play.  
 
The guys set their stuff down at the door and walked over to the instruments. 
 
Sebastian stepped behind one of the microphones and picked up a guitar. Luca did the same while Brody sat behind the drums. Roman picked up the bass and Allister slowly walked up to the keyboard. 
 
I was bewildered. They were a band?, I thought. 

 “Haley.”, Sebastian said into the mic which echoed throughout the otherwise silent warehouse. “We decided that we are going to let you hear us play live without buying a ticket.” I laughed as he said that. “She laughs.”, he says mocking offense. The guys seemed to get determined to change my laugh into admiration. 
 
Luca began to play guitar and Sebastian joined in with harmonics. I instantly recognized the song. Cough Syrup by Young the Giant. I softly tapped my foot to the beat. Everyone began joining in with their individual instruments, adding a bit of a twist to the actual song. Sebastian began to sing.
 
The sound that came out of his mouth took my breath away an I could feel goosebumps appear on my arms. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up. 
 
They were amazing. Luca harmonized with him during the chorus. His voice was amazing too but it was nothing compared to Sebastian’s. I felt like one of the fangirls at my school. They're so good. I instantly fell in love. 
 
When they were finished, I stood and clapped till my hands were red and stung. They seemed pleased with the response. 
 
“You guys were amazing.”, I told them, still in a daze. 
 
After they cleaned up and unplugged everything, we went out for brunch. The rest of the day went by pretty quickly. We went to the park and ate dinner afterwards. It was fun. I don’t think I’ve been that happy in a while. 
 
When they dropped me off at my house again at 7, Sebastian said he’d walked me to the door. We stumbled out of the car laughing at a joke Luca had told. I unlocked the door to my house, stepped in, and turned back to see him standing there. 
 
“You can come in.”, I said smiling and opening the door wider. He smiled and stepped in, taking in his surroundings. 

“Nice place you got.”, he remarked. 
 
I scoffed at him. Our house was extremely messy and it was small. We bought a lot of things so random things were crammed here and there in the tiny space that we had. I pulled my purse off my shoulder and let it lightly fall onto the floor. I turned towards him. 

 “So. You done fascinating over my home? I’m sure the guys are waiting impatiently outside.”, I said. 
 
He turned to stare at me. There was something different about him right now. His features looked softened and relaxed. There was a soft glint in his eyes. He walked towards me, not once breaking eye contact. I stepped back with every step that he took forward. It wasn’t long before I backed into the wall. He kept coming straight at me. He only stopped when we were extremely close. So close that our breaths mixed in the small space. 
 
I stared at his gorgeous blue eyes and the thick set of dark lashes that bordered them. My heart rate sped up and my breath caught in my chest as he placed a hand next to my head and the other next to my waist, blocking me. He brought his face closer to mine and I closed my eyes. His lips barely grazed mine before he stopped. 

 “Damn it.”, he said under his breath. 
 
My eyelids fluttered open and I looked at him. He looked troubled. Then he buried his face in my neck but it wasn't long before someone honked the horn outside. He reluctantly pulled himself away from me.
 
“Goodnight Haley. I had a great time.”, he said before he left, closing the door behind him.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
*~* Whoo! I'm at school but I'm updating for you guys! I finished my exam, twas easy. Twas easy.  Man I got the feels during this chapter hahaha. My classmates probabably think I'm weird. Randomly pulling my laptop out and whatnot. Well thanks for reading! I hope I have gotten your attention :) and you like this story. I hope to continue it. Please comment or vote! It takes me hours to write a chapter and only a few seconds for you to hit that vote button or write a quick, supportive comment.*~*

*~* Math exam today guys :( *~*
 

It had almost been a week since I’ve last seen Sebastian and the guys. Sebastian hasn’t talked to me since but Roman has been texting me constantly along with a few of my school friends: Russel, Jordan, Brittanie, and Sueing.

I decided to go to the YMCA today just to exercise and get my mind off of things. So I packed a swim suit, a change of clothes, and various girl things. I put on athletic shorts, shoes, and a tank top. I grabbed my bag and took out the keys and headed to my car. 
 
When I got there, I lost myself in various exercises and ran a few miles. When I was done I changed into my swim suit to cool off in the pool. As I stared at myself in the mirror I felt like I was much too exposed. I had bought the cheapest one which happened to be a two piece. I had never worn a two piece and it felt so awkward. I just sighed, crossed my arms across my chest, and shook my hair over my shoulders so that they covered my bosom. Not that there was much of anything to show. I walked out quickly and relaxed as I jumped into the deep end of the pool. 
 
The silky water caressed my skin and I had never felt so alive. I sank to the bottom, and sat there, holding my breath. Man, I miss this. I thought. The silent, gurgling world that surrounded me shattered as multiple people cannonballed into the water. I glanced up in annoyance, my oxygen amount decreasing. I kicked off from the bottom of the pool and broke onto the surface. I gasped for oxygen and looked at the people who had just now jumped into the pool. Holy s***, I thought. They’re hot. 
 
One of them shook their hair, making water fly everywhere. His hair was long and jet black. His chest was extremely toned...  well all of them had toned chests with full six packs that were distorted by the water. I shivered. Wait... They look familiar, I thought. 
 
The one with jet black hair turned to look at me. His eyes were an amazing blue that was a mix between blue and purple. Only one person I knew had eyes like that. 
 
Sebastian. 
 
We just stared at each other silently. The others were still joking around and when they realized Sebastian was distracted, they turned to follow his gaze. They all turned to stare at me.
 
Well... this is awkward, I thought. 
 
“Haley!”, Roman shouted with glee. He swam over to me and hugged me which wasn’t a good idea because I began to sink under his weight. But it felt nice. His body was smooth and hard against mine. He let me go when the water went up my nose. 
 
“Sorry”, he said while still smirking. 

“It’s okay.”, I told him with a cough. I turned to the others and said hi to them. They all greeted me back with smiles and smirks. Except for Sebastian. Sebastian just nodded and looked away. I frowned at his response and coughed. 
 
“Do you guys wanna try that again?”, Roman asked. They all got out of the water chattering loudly.
 
“Dude. I am totally going to make the biggest splash.”, Brody said arrogantly. 
 
“I’m going the farthest though you fatty.”, Luca told him with a smirk. Brody and Luca wrestled as Roman turned to me.
 
“You wanna cannon ball too?”, he asked me with expectant eyes. I just smiled and got out of the water. We all lined up and Sebastian counted.

“On the count of three. One. Two. Three.” Everyone rushed forward and jumped into the pool, making the hugest splash ever. The ripples travelled all the way into the shallow end. I think I kicked something or tripped along the way. I turned to see a stranger gripping his head. Oops. That something was a somebody.
 
“Uhm. Are you okay?”, I asked, swallowing nervously.
 
“Oww.. yeah. You kicked me.”, he said accusingly.
 
“I am so sorry.”, I told him, horrified. He looked at me and then smiled.
 
“Nah, it’s fine just a kick to the head.” He chuckled. “You could probably beat up anyone you who pisses you off. Nice aim.”, he added. He was cute. A dimple appeared on his cheek when he smiled.
 
I smiled at him as Roman swam towards me. 

“That was awesome.”, he said smiling. I smiled back at him. He didn't break the smile and after a little while, the smile turned a little too warm for my comfort. I broke the contact by looking over at the other guys who were joking around and trying to drown each other. Sebastian smiled but it didn’t quite reach his eyes. I wonder what’s wrong with him, I thought. 
 
He turned to look at me and there was a zing of electricity between us as we made eye contact. He quickly turned away. I sighed. I was startled as the boy I had kicked before awkwardly poked me. I turned towards him.
 
“It was nice to meet you.”, he said. “Perhaps we shall meet again?”, he added with a twinkle in his eyes. I just nodded and as he left Roman asked me who he was.
 
“Not sure. I didn’t even ask him what his name was. I accidentally kicked him in the head cannonballing into the pool.”, I told him. Roman started laughing. It was a booming sound that echoed through the air.
 
I grinned and turned to see that Sebastian was looking at Roman and I with something in his eyes. He looked angry and it scared me. I shook it off and swam up to the bored lifeguard. 
 
“Excuse me sir, do you know what time it is?”, I asked politely
 
He glanced down at his watched. “3:51.”, he replied. Crap.
 
“Thanks” He just nodded and looked away. I swam to the guys. 
 
“Hey guys. I have to go home now. I have a bunch of chores to do. Guess I’ll see you around?”, I asked them. I looked especially at Sebastian who wouldn’t meet my gaze. They gave me farewells as I got out of the pool. I changed in the changing room and as I exited I saw Sebastian standing there alone. He looked at me.

“Can I talk to you alone?”, he asked. I nodded.
 
“Sure.”, I responded sounding really confused. We walked through the bulky doors into the annex like space. He turned back to look at me. 
 
“I’m sorry about what happened the other night. I barely knew you and was already trying to make a move on you. It was douche move and I’m sorry. You probably have a boyfriend, don’t you? And I won’t stay here for much longer. It’s not fair for me to make you develop feelings for me and then leave you. The guys and I are going to leave and try to get a record deal. And here in North Carolina, there's not much you can do. You know what I mean? If anything happens between us, it’ll be temporary and at the end one of us will get hurt, and if not, both of us will. I don’t want you to hurt you because of my own selfish reasons.”, he told me softly.
 
My heart was hammering inside of my chest. It kind of hurt even though I knew someone like him would never like me. I just nodded.
 
“Okay.”, I croaked. 
 
“I’m so sorry.”, he told me and then he left. 
 
I walked to the car and chastised myself. Haley, calm down. You hardly know this guy and he was too good for you remember? You’re wasting your time if you hope someone like him will like you. I drove home and started on my housework.
 
 
 
 
 
 
*~* Yay! I finished in ONE HOUR Whoop whoop! I’m getting better at writing. Hope you like this chapter. I think you might’ve wanted more description on their shirtless bodies but... I don’t know ahah. I'm sorry if  it wasn't that good. Like the dialogue and how I quickly switch and how it's all abrupt and whatnot. But I hoped you enjoyed it*~*

Chapter 5:
*~* Hey guys sorry about the late update... Well it wasn’t really late. *~*


I was drying off the dishes when I heard someone ringing the doorbell and rustling outside. I sighed, dried my hands, and went to the door. Seriously Dad? You have a fricken key, I thought. I opened it and dad was standing there with his lunchbox and jacket. I went back to the dishes as he sat down at the table and began shoveling the food mom made this morning into his mouth.

“You know what the news said Obama did?”, dad asked with his mouth full. I sighed. Dad was always finding ways to bash our current president. He always had false information so I began to block him out as he started his rant about politics. When I was done, I walked to my room leaving my dad there to talk to himself.

I grabbed my guitar and began strumming a few chords then stopped when I thought about the other night when Sebastian’s band had played for me. I began to get depressed again thinking about what Sebastian had said earlier. I curled up and hugged my knees to my chest. What did he mean? I sat there for a while feeling bad for myself when I decided to push Sebastian and the rest out of the guys out of my mind as I began to sing.

I loved singing. Mom told me a while back that I could sing before I could speak as a child. I even had a performing arts college from New York send me a letter about it. I even performed at the coffee shop every once and a while.

I heard the door downstairs open and the sound of moms’ footprints while in the middle of the song. I stopped singing and went down to greet her.

“Hey mom.”, I said then walked away knowing that she’d be busy. And it turns out that I was right. I could hear her talking to someone on the phone while cooking part of tomorrow’s meal.

“Haley!”, mom screamed from downstairs.

“Yeah?”, I yelled back.

“Can you work tomorrow?”

“Sure.”, I yelled. Yay work tomorrow, I thought sarcastically. Well, at least I get money. I set my alarm clock and got ready for bed.


*~* Sorry! Short chapter but I shall right the next one and upload with this one to make up for it... It was a really weak chapter. I was kind of bleh. *~*

Chapter 6:
*~* You know, I’m really proud of myself. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten this far in writing a story before... I’ve started a lot of stories but never finished. But anywho, here’s chapter 6 *~*



The next day I woke up early and groggily got ready for work. Mom was in the car waiting for me when I stepped outside. She quickly pulled out of the driveway and almost ran over our neighbor who was extremely healthy and jogged every morning.

“Stupid hoe. Get off the road! I’m late for work!”, mom said in vietnamese under her breath. As if the neighbor heard her, she went off the road and into the grass. Mom drove quickly to her shop.

I think she’s just jealous of the jogger. Mom’s been trying to lose weight for the past few years but nothing works. I on the other hand have been trying to gain weight. I was trying to put some curves of myself but my body would only let me eat so much before getting sick. So I stayed childlike. Short, skinny, and curve-less.

My phone vibrated on the way to the shop. I looked down surprised to see that it was a text from Sebastian.


“I’m sorry about yesterday. Friends?”, he sent.

“Being friends sounds nice.”, I texted back. My heart was pumping wildly in my chest. At least we’re still friends, I thought.

“Well Roman and I were going to take a ride on my new car tomorrow. Would you like to come with?”

“Sure.”

“Great! Pick you up at 4.”

I put my phone down, leaned my head back, and smiled. I couldn’t wait until tomorrow.

When we got to mom’s shop, I began to lose myself in work and before I knew it, half the day had gone by. Not much had happened until around 6 which was almost closing time.

My friend Hannah walked in. She was absolutely gorgeous and talented. She came in with Nathaniel. They had a complicated sort of relationship. They had broken up and gotten back together so many times it was hard to count. My heart didn’t do the weird flip floppy thing this time. He was just Nathaniel now. I immediately thought about how much better Sebastian looked. When I realized what I was thinking, I stopped and blushed.

Hannah walked over to me and gave me a hug, she looked back at me with striking blue eyes.

“I’m moving.”, she tells me.

“What?!”, I ask.

“I wanted to say goodbye to everyone and you said I could get a discount at your mom’s shop and I really need a pedicure.”, she tells me. I smile.

“Well let’s get you in a pedicure chair and you have to tell me everything.”, I tell her. She tells me how her summer was and how she was breaking up with Nathaniel so that they could both get a new start with their love life. She was moving a few hours away from here but she promised she would keep in touch.

The entire time Nathaniel stood awkwardly there watching us both. He never said a word and whenever I glanced over at him, I would meet his dark eyes and he would look away. When Hannah asked me about my summer, I told her everything and I told her all about Sebastian and the guys. She raised an eyebrow at my description of Sebastian and I found myself blushing.

We had a lot of fun talking to each other and catching up. The hour that she was there was filled with laughter and amazing stories.

When Hannah was done with her pedicure, I gave her one last hug before she left. Nathaniel glanced back at me a few times before leaving with Hannah. Strange. I thought. I shrugged and helped with cleaning up. The day was over and once again my hands smelled disgusting.

“Haley?”, mom called out from the back.

“Yes?”, I replied.

“Why don’t you get something to eat right quick? You’ve worked hard today.” I thanked her and walked over to East Coast Wings.

When I walked in there I thought about Nathaniel’s weird looks and wasn’t paying attention. I shoved open the door and hit a solid object.

“Oomphf!”, the object said... Damnit I hit someone.

I looked up to see that I had hit a dude with the edge of the door straight down his body. If the door was a blade, it would’ve sliced his body in half symmetrically. I stared at him horrified as a red mark appeared on his forehead. Despite how painful his forehead looked, he grabbed his groin and groaned while bending over. Way to go Haley. Way. to. frickin. go.

“I- I am s-so sorry!!”, I spluttered. He looked up with a pained look in his eyes. Suddenly the look turned into recognition. He was the guy I had kicked in the head at the Y.

He suddenly grinned before bursting out into a full bellied laugh.

“Why do we run into each other like this?”, he asked still laughing. I joined in with his laughter.

“What are you doing here?”, he asked.

“Just going to order a take out. You?”

“Just about to leave. My friends are in the car waiting for me so I better go. I guess I’ll see you around?”, he asked.

“Yeah, see ya!”, I turned and was about to walk away but remembered that I still didn’t know his name.

“Wait!”, I exclaimed. He turned around.

“What?”

“My name’s Haley. What’s yours?”, I asked while extending a hand.

“Josh.” He took my hand and shook it. I smiled, let go, and turned to order my food.

I left the restaurant with the food and went back into mom’s shop. She stood outside and was already locking the door. She turned to look at me.

“Ready to go?”, she asked. I nodded and we went home.




*~* Thanks for reading guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and yeah... Excited for the next one? Sebastian... Oh la la. Hahaha. Not sure if you guys realized but this is kind of like a fan fic of my own life... sorta... kinda. Haha but my mom isn’t like that in real life at that one part when she called that jogger a hoe. ... Well she sort of is. That was just slightly exaggerated lol.*~*


*~*~*~* Oh by the way!!! I’m really happy I uploaded two chapters... well 1 1/2. I’m writing a new story! So when it’s up, do you guys mind checking it out? Thanks! ~*~*~

Chapter 7:

I woke up feeling well rested and refreshed. Sunlight beamed in through my window and glazed upon my bed. I smiled, stretched, and turned to look at the time. 12:57. Sebastian would be coming in a little over 3 hours. I bounced out of bed; renewed with energy from sleep and excitement. I took a shower; singing out loud like I used to. I quickly threw on a pair of jeans and a Paramore t shirt, put on light makeup, and started on chores.

Shortly after I had finished all of my chores, the doorbell rang. I went to open the door and Roman stood there smiling down at me. I peeked around him to see that Sebastian was sitting in the passenger seat of Roman’s BMW.

“Well it’s nice to see you too Haley.”, Roman joked. I glanced back up at him and smiled apologetically.

“Hello Roman. Thank you for agreeing to stop by my house before checking out Sebastian’s car.”, I responded politely.

“Anything for you.”, he flirted. I rolled my eyes and walked past him to the backseat of the car.

Throughout the entire car ride to the dealership or wherever we were going Sebastian was quiet. Roman and I kept up a steady conversation and whenever I glanced over at Sebastian he seemed bored or uninterested. So much for being friends, I thought.

After a little while Roman began to slow down and we were the only people on the dirt road.

“Uhm Sebastian...where exactly is this car going to be at?”, Roman asked.

“It should be at an empty parking lot. It’s small and dainty. Should be the only car there. The owner said he’d meet us there.”, Sebastian said calmly.

“Uh... Where exactly did you find this car?”, I asked bewildered.

“Craig’s List.”, he answered. I leaned back into my seat and prayed.

We soon saw a destroyed Kmart accompanied by an empty parking lot. Well. Almost empty. One lone, sad looking car sat in the middle of the parking lot. Roman cautiously drove up to it, parked near it, and we all got out.

"Here she is.", Sebastian said, placing his hand on the hood and the other on his hip.



The car that he claimed was piss yellow and extremely beat up. It was rusted and tiny. I doubted its engine still ran. Roman and I just stared at it in it’s sad state and exchanged looks.


"Her names Bertha.", Sebastian said out of the blue. I returned his expectant gaze with a bewildered one. We stared at each other for a full 10 seconds before I burst into laughter. I looked up to see him fighting a smile, his eyes full of amusement. 


“Are you the youn’ yun who wanted to buy mah car?”, an old man asked; wobbling up to us. He was dressed in a plaid shirt and overalls. His hair was gray and thinning and he had a grim look on his face.


“Yes sir.”, Sebastian answered.


“You can take it on a test drive”, the man said.


“Sure thing sir.”, Sebastian said as he climbed into the driver’s seat.


“You guys coming?”, Sebastian asked, looking at Roman and me. I hesitantly climbed into the passenger’s seat and Roman climbed into the backseat. The key was already in the ignition so all Sebastian had to do was crank it up.


The man stood there like a stone, watching us as we pulled out of the parking lot. He didn’t move a single muscle as we drove off. The car had this weird smell to it that made me want to gag. Roman seemed to be holding his breath, looking at me with an apologetic look on his face. I turned to see that Sebastian was cool about everything.


Roman grumbled in the back seat the entire time. I tried to start a conversation with him but the engine would splutter loudly whenever we spoke. It was rather strange. The car would only splutter when Roman and I started talking. I looked suspiciously over at Sebastian who had a grin on his face from ear to ear. I gave him a weird look but then shrugged. If the man was happy, let him be.



Wind suddenly came whipping in from the back window. I turned to see Roman sticking his head out of the window, probably to get rid of the smell and clear his head. He just sat there, chilling with his head out the window. I didn’t blame him. I turned back to the front to see that Sebastian was beginning to roll up the window.


“The AC is running.”, he explained to me. I opened my mouth to tell him that Roman had his head out the window but the engine spluttered loudly and Sebastian wasn’t paying attention. I looked back in horror to see the glass getting ever so closely to Roman’s neck.



“Holy shit!”, Roman exclaimed as he saw the window being rolled up. He quickly tried to pull himself back in the car but couldn’t because the bottom of his jaw smacked against the glass.


“Sebastian!”, he screamed. Sebastian casually looked back to see that Roman had his head stuck out the window.


“Oh oops. Sorry”, he said, now trying to roll the window back down. The window however would not go back down. It was permanently stuck there. At that moment, the car began to violently shake and the engine spluttered loudly and then stopped. Great. I thought. Just great.


We all just sat there quietly for a minute, hoping that this had not actually happened.


“Oh my God.”, I said; breaking the silence.


“At least you don’t have your head stuck out the window.”, Roman noted. I looked back at him in pity and we both turned our gazes towards Sebastian.


“Sorry about this guys.”, was all he could say.


“Well, what do you guys suggest we do?”, I ask.


“Sebastian should walk back to the old man and tell him about our situation and try to get help.”, Roman responded.


“No way am I going up there alone. Haley’s coming with me.”, Sebastian said.


“What?! No! I have my head stuck out the window! I can’t defend myself if anyone comes!”, Roman argued.


“Well I’m more likely to get raped and kidnapped than you are. So I need someone to walk with me.”, Sebastian argued back. They continued at it as I sat there, rubbing my temples.


“SHUT UP!”, I screamed. They stopped their bickering and turned to look at me.


“I don’t care about who stays or who goes but someone is going!”, I yelled. They stared at me blankly so I felt the need to insert a threat.


“I’ve been reading a lot of Stephen King and watching a lot of horror movies lately. And the correlation between how much violence I read and see and how much violence I perform is very high. If you guys do not give me your utmost respect and cooperation this entire experience will be analyzed, moralized, documented, and put on the internet.”, I told them; quoting Anna as best as I could.


They looked bewildered and shocked now. I got out of the car and began to walk the 5 miles back to that stupid old man. Sebastian quickly followed after me.







~*~*~ Hey guys! Sorry I’ve been having some major writer’s block lately and I’ve been busy. So I hope you like this chapter and it’s sort of long so I’m gonna split it into two parts. Did anyone else get the Anna Akana reference??? Anyways... until next time!*~*~*



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.