Troubles in Paradise | Teen Ink

Troubles in Paradise

By canmil08 BRONZE, Morrisville, Missouri
canmil08 BRONZE, Morrisville, Missouri

Author's note: I don't really get inspired. Ideas just seem to come to me. It's such a natural thing to me. It's like second nature.

Stepping out of the limo, I’m blinded by the flashes of the cameras. My parents took a separate limo, not wanting to embarrass their daughters. We go inside, looking for people we know. Father disappears in the crowd, and mom follows, the usual. She always likes to make an impression. My sisters and I are left standing there, looking around.
“Father’s gone off to talk with the Mayor.” Lydia says.
Lydia’s the oldest of us. She’s twenty-three, attending Harvard, trying to be a lawyer. However, she’s definitely not the prettiest.
“Mom’s decided to follow, the usual. Anylin , how are you and Cameron?” Priscilla asks.
“We have a date tonight. He’s taking me out to that gourmet place on Jupiter Avenue. I can’t think of the name, but Lord. Isn’t he the sweetest?” I tell my sister.
Priscilla has short, strawberry blonde hair. All of us wear make-up, and we’re all tall. She’s one of the prettiest. Her dress is knee-length and emerald. Priscilla’s nineteen and she studies at Yale to be a politician, following in father’s footsteps.
“How long have you two been together?” Sophie asks.
“Three years.” I reply.
Sophie’s the second prettiest with her long, black hair. Although, her beauty is overighted by all of her philandering. She goes through boys like crazy. Sophie is twenty-two and she’s not in college, but she helps father in the office so that keeps him off her back.
I’m the prettiest of my siblings with my long, dark red hair. For the party, I curled it and slung it over one shoulder.
Someone nudges my elbow. “Miss? Can I talk to you for a moment?”
It’s a boy, looks a little older than me.
“You’re Anylin, aren’t you?” he asks with curiosity.
“Yes, I am. Is there something you need, sir?” I reply sincerely.
“Oh, no, ma’am. I was just admiring your beauty. You are quite astonishing and I’m sure your personality is just as equally astonishing.”
“Thank you. I would say the same thing back, if I weren’t spoken for.”
“I’ve heard rumors about you and your beloved.”
“What have you heard?”
“Quite the interesting stories. One involves you being pregnant with his child.”
“Do I look pregnant to you?” I give him a look.
“Not at all, but if you are spoken for, then where is your ring?”
“We’re not to that point in our relationship yet.”
“If I were dating you, I’d give you a ring within seconds.”
“But you see, there’s the difference between you and him. You like anything pretty you see and try to demand it without question and authority. On the other hand, he goes through traditions and dates girls of class and not imbecilic trash in stilettos.”
“Have I offended you?”
“Not at all.” I say coldly. “Now, you better get back to the party before I call security to remove you. Excuse me.”

Knocking on Cameron’s front door, Sophie calls me. I try to answer but as soon as I get my phone out, the door opens, revealing a smiling Cameron. He looks thrilled to see me. I pull him into a tight hug, not wanting to let go.
“Are we still going to the restaurant?” I ask.
“We can if you want to, or , my parents are gone for two weeks at some big convention thing in New York. We could have the house to ourselves, if you want.”
“Sounds amazing.” I say grinning.
He invites me inside, turning off my phone and putting it in my purse, gently tossing it onto the beige leather sofa. Cameron likes no interruptions when we’re together. I giggle out of nervousness while he leads us to his room, and shutting the door. We leave the light off as he backs me against the wall, leaving me no room to go anywhere. He continues to get closer and closer, until there’s no space left and our lips gently brush. My heart races. I lean forward the rest of the way, connecting our lips. We kiss like there’s no tomorrow, and in our world, you never know. His hands travel the length of my sides, and then going up, messing with my hair, like he can’t stand to be farther away from me than he already is. My mind is going crazy. I can’t even form one thought. My hands slide underneath his dress shirt, exploring every indention and muscle. Cameron briefly let’s go of me, yanking off his shirt, and picking up right where we left off. We’re both panting. His hands travel down the back of my thighs, picking me up and carrying me to his bed.

Someone gently nudges me awake. Cameron. The blanket’s covering him from the waist down, leaving his muscular chest exposed. I smile. He looks so gorgeous, even in the morning. He’s smiling, too.
“Morning.” I tell him.
“Morning, back.”
I pull him close for a kiss.
“I love you.” He tells me.
“I love you.”
“Do you have anything planned for today?”
“I’m pretty sure I don’t. Why?”
“Because I’m taking you out for lunch.”
“Oh? Are you?” I giggle.
“Yes, and then we’re going swimming.”
“Where at?”
“That’s a surprise.”
“Oh, is it now?”
“Yes. And we should probably get dressed before I’m tempted to keep you in my bed all day.”
My cheeks blush bright red.
“That’s cute.” Cameron tells me.
“You’re cute.”
“I know I am. I’m too gorgeous to resist, I know.” He says with a teasing smile.
“I should go, Cameron.”
I sit up, wrapping the sheet around my chest.
“I don’t want you to.”
He sits up, too, looking at me. Our eyes meet.
“You’re amazing, you know that? God, you’re more than that. You’re really something special, Anylin.”
“I hope so.”
“You are.”
We kiss momentarily.
“Do you mind if I use your shower? And borrow a shirt?” I ask.
“Do you honestly think you have to ask?”
“I feel rude not asking.”
“What’s mine is yours, Anylin. You don’t have to ask. I’m going to get you a shirt and a towel. Be right back.”
“Okay.”
While he’s gone, I stride into the bathroom connected to his room, turning the water on, giving it an opportunity to heat up before I get in, letting the water envelope me. Cameron walks in and sets a towel on the counter, leaving his shirt on the towel rack.
“Hey, babe? I’m putting my shirt on the towel rack.”
“Okay. Thank you.”
“No problem.”
He opens the shower door to kiss me, getting water all over the floor.
“What are you doing?” I ask.
“What does it look like I’m doing?”
He steps inside the shower, pulling me close.
“I’m naked, Cameron.” I protest, trying to cover myself.
“Don’t be embarrassed. You should never be embarrassed around me.”
“I’m just shy.” I explain.
“I know. I’m working through it.”

I’d just buttoned and zipped my designer jeans when Sophie walks in.
“Are you going somewhere?” she asks
“Cameron’s taking me out for lunch and then we’re going swimming.” I explain as I pull on a white lace halter and step into brown boots.
“Where were you last night? You didn’t come home.”
“I was with Cameron.”
I grab a tankini from my dresser and shove it into a tote, along with a towel.
“Did you sleep with him, Anylin?”
“Yes, I did.”
“Did you, at least, have a reason?”
This was strange coming from her.
“I did it because I’m in love with him and I know he’s the one. Did you have a reason when you slept with all those guys?”
“Ooohhh. Feisty.” She giggles.
“Oh, shut up.”
“So I’m guessing his parents are out of town.”
“Bingo.”
“Are you planning on sleeping with him again?”
“If he wants to, then yes.”
“All guys want to, Anylin.”
“No need to be negative, Sophie.”
“Whatever.”
There’s a knock on the door.
“Miss Anylin? You have a guest.” Robert tells me.
“Thank you, Robert.”
“You’re welcome, miss Anylin.”
“I’ll see you later, Sophie. I’ll call you if plans change.”
“Okay. Love you!”
I head downstairs for the front door, when I see Cameron and stop. He’s so gorgeous it’s insane. He’s smiling at me; I return the favor. I run and jump into his arms, so excited to see him.
“I guess you missed me.” He laughs.
“Yeah, I did.” I tell him.
“Let’s go then.”
“Agreed.”
He sets me down, leading us to his car, opening and shutting the door for me. Once he hits the highway, I start asking questions.
“Where are we going for lunch?”
“That’s a surprise.”
“Still?”
“Yes.”
“There’s a rumor going around that I’m pregnant with your child. Did you know that?”
“No. I had no idea. Who told you that?”
“This guy who talked to me at my parents’ party last night. He was trying to hit on me and it was disgusting, but he seemed very interested in our love life. I think he was just a reporter, but I told him to buzz off.”
“I wouldn’t doubt he was. Reporters are so disgusting. They’ll do anything to get what they want. I’m just glad he didn’t.” he pauses. “He didn’t get any information about us, did he?”
“No! Of course not. The only person I tell about you and I is Sophie.”
“Okay. Cool.”
Cameron’s really sensitive about our relationship. He only likes people he trusts knowing what he and I do and say. He’s told some people before and they exposed our secrets to the press. Since then, he’s never really been able to trust anyone.
“How’s Penelope?” I ask.
Penelope is Cameron’s little sister. She’s fifteen and not very mature. She likes to play word games with people. It’s her favorite game. Penelope is very deceitful. You cannot count on her to do anything or get anything done.
“She’s dating Mark Canoman and she claims it’s serious, but I highly doubt it. I don’t think she even knows what serious means.” Cameron explains.
“Mark is a knifing little rat. All he does-“
“Is weasel things out of people. I know.” He finishes for me, smiling.
“Exactly. How do you know that?”
“You’ve given this speech before.”
“I have?”
“Yes. You’ve expressed your opinion of him on several occasions.”
“Nice to know you actually listen to what I have to say and I’m not just rambling.”
“What made you think I don’t listen?”
“Men never listen. I mean, they act like they’re listening, but in all honesty, we all know you don’t.”
“Well, I listen, if that counts for something.”
“I appreciate that.”
He laughs.
“Cameron?”
“Yes?”
“…I love you.”
He glances over at me several times before saying it back.
“I love you, too, Anylin.”

Cameron slows to a stop outside the nicest restaurant in the city, getting out, and letting the valet park his car. They open the doors for us, and it looks like no one else is here. The waitress leads us to a secluded room in the back, seating us at the glass table. The floor is covered with bright red rose petals. There’s a vase full of roses as the centerpiece for the table. The waitress can’t stop smiling like I’m missing something huge.
“Hello. My name is Becca and I’ll be your waitress today. Can I get you guys something to drink?” she introduces herself.
“Iced tea, please.” I order.
“Pepsi, thank you.” He orders.
Becca leaves, still smiling. Cameron focuses his attention on me.
“You look beautiful, but of course, you always look beautiful.” He compliments me.
“Thank you.” I say grinning. “You’re not so bad yourself.”
He’d chosen to wear a sweatervest and khakis, and by the way, he can totally pull them off.
“The best for you, right?”
I look at him, a little confused. “Are you making fun of me?”
“Absolutely not. Why would I do such a thing?” he asks in full sincerity.
“I was just asking. Loosen your pants a little.” I laugh.
“I would, but then you’d be tempted to do something inappropriate for being in public.”
“How do you know I would be tempted?”
“I’m too irresistible for your own good.” He smirks.
My cheeks grow bright red.
“And you, are too irresistible for your own good. That could get you into some serious trouble.”
“What kind of trouble?”
He opens his mouth to respond, but the waitress interrupts him and sets down our drinks. She takes out her notepad and pen.
“What would you guys like to eat?” She asks perkily.
“The mushroom ravioli, please.” I order.
“The pasta primavera, please.”
“Right away.” She says as she leaves.
“Did I tell you you look beautiful?” he asks.
“I’m afraid you did.” I tell him.
“Anylin, we’ve been together for almost three and a half years. I’ve never been in a relationship that has lasted this long and it’s the most thrilling thing to me. I’m always looking forward to what great adventure you will bring next. You’re the most interesting and amazing woman I’ve ever met and I couldn’t be happier.” Pausing, he gets down on one knee and continues. “Anylin Rebekah Thorton, I promise to take care of you everyday we’re together because without you, I’m not myself. Will you marry me?”
Cameron slides out a small black box from his pocket, opening it, and revealing the most beautiful diamond ring. It has to be at least six carats. He’s staring at me expectantly.
“Yes!” I tell him. “Yes.”
Cameron smiles hugely as he slides the ring onto the appropriate finger, stands, and claims my mouth.
“I love you.” He says.
“I love you, too.”

Chapter three is not yet finished, but I wanted to share it with you guys anyway.

After lunch, Cameron drives us to some big luxury house in the middle of nowhere. The house is huge and has five bedrooms, four bathrooms, two living rooms, one dining room, one game room, two studies, one library, two laundry rooms, one sunroom, and a pool.
“Whose house is this? Your parents?” I ask.
“No. This is our house.” He responds honestly.
“When did you buy it?”
“I bought it three weeks ago, when you went with your parents to the Virgin Islands.”
“I’m going to change. I’ll meet you by the pool.” I say as I walk toward the nearest bathroom.
After I change, I stride outside into the heat, set my stuff down on a lounge chair, and sit on the rim of the pool, letting my feet soak in the water. Cameron joins me shortly, sitting down next to me, and wrapping his arm around my waist like it’s out of habit. I stare at the sky, suddenly lost in thought. He’s kept this from me for three weeks, but it was a good reason. He couldn’t tell me because he had yet to propose. Otherwise, he would’ve told me, right?
“Are you okay?” he asks me.
“I’m fine.”
“Are you sure?”
“Yeah. I was thinking.”
“What about?”
“…I was thinking about when we get married, the kind of life we’ll have.” I don’t want him thinking I’m questioning his trust. I know it will offend him.
“We’ll be happy together. I know we will.”
“I hope we’re not one of those couples that are super happy the first year or two and then we get this huge ugly divorce and never speak to each other again and leave the kids with me.”
“We won’t.”
“You promise?” I gaze into his eyes.
“I promise.”
“Do you even want kids?”
“Yes, but not right away. Like two years into our marriage.”
“How many do you want? Five?”
He gives me a look. “You’re insane. I only want one or two. Do you want kids?”
“I don’t know yet.”
“You have to figure it out soon. We’re getting married.”