The Last Choice | Teen Ink

The Last Choice

December 11, 2013
By j_givens, Manchester, Missouri
More by this author
j_givens, Manchester, Missouri
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Final Choice



“Julia, please listen to me,” Cameron begged, following Julia to her car.

"Why should I even give you the time of day Cameron?” Julia snapped, yanking the car door open.

“I need to explain everything to you! You need to know the truth and not what you heard from Jake!” Cameron cried in frustration. Slamming the door shut, Julia rolled down the window and looked up at him, the sky booming with thunder.

“And what exactly do you have to explain? That our whole relationship, for the past six months has been some joke? That you never cared about me?” Julia challenged, her voice filled with hurt.

Cameron ducked his head inside the car, placing his hand on Julia’s. “That’s not true, I love you Julia."

A tear trailed down her face as she ripped her hand out of Camerons. "I’m sorry Cameron. I’m done.”

“Julia please,” Cameron whispered. Watching agony fill Cameron’s eyes, Julia started the car. “I’m sorry.”

"Yeah me too,” Julia replied, her voice faltering. With one last look at Cameron she stepped on the gas, once again running away from Cameron. Julia remembered the first fight the two of them got in a couple weeks after they started dating. He had made an inappropriate comment about another girls behind when the the girl walked past the two of them. All hell broke lose the second the comment left his lips. Before Cameron had the chance to apologize, Julia was long gone.

Merging onto the empty highway she turned on the radio, flipping through stations finally deciding on an upbeat pop station to keep her from crying. Gripping the wheel tightly, she narrowed her eyes on the road, tears . It was late and there was hardly anyone on the road, the only source of light was coming from her two head lights; her vision blurred from the tears and rain. Julia’s phone lit up from her lap, stealing her attention from the road. Glancing down she caught a glimpse of who had texted her.

Cameron.

Ignoring it she threw her phone in the passenger seat. The phone bounced off the seat and into the floor. Her cell phone began to fill with messages, distracting her from the task at hand; driving.

“Might as well read them,” She mumbled. Time slowed as she bent down, scooping up the phone from the floorboard. As she tried to sit up she was jerked back down, her jacket pocket stuck on the gear shift. “S*** s*** s*** s***,” She muttered as she struggled to keep one hand on the wheel and the other hand trying to free her jacket. Her jacket came unstuck easily and Julia returned to her upright position. Seeing a deer sprint across the road, she attempted to spare the animals’ life by jerking the car to the left, cutting over two lanes and up the median. Julia screamed, taking her hands off the wheel, squeezing her eyes shut, feeling as if she was on a roller coaster that she desired to get off of immediately. The car flipping twice, coming to a rest on the hood; glass shattering, sprinkling on Julia as if they were snowflakes during the harsh winter in Michigan. Julia could feel blood trailing down her face, the blood rushing to her head. “I have to get out of here,” She squeaked. Fumbling to unbuckle her seat belt, she dropped to the ground, landing on her arm. Groaning in pain she rolled onto all fours, looking for the nearest exit. Noticing her window was missing she crawled out slowly, her body aching; glass cutting into her palms and knees, causing her to wince with every move she made. Once safely out of the car she crawled to the side of the road and laid on the ground, the rain soaking her bloody skin and clothing as she slipped into unconsciousness.


Julia stood up, her back aching and her head pounding. Glancing over, she noticed her car totaled.

“Mom’s going to kill me,” Julia groaned, jogging over to the destroyed car. “How am I ever going to explain this to her?” She muttered, crouching down to look into the car she saw her phone light up in the dashboard. As she went to grab it, head lights from another car blinded her eyes as it came to a sudden stop in front of her car. “Finally. Some help.” Standing up she began walking to the car.


“Hey, are you okay?” A man asked as he jumped out of his truck, taking a careful step forward towards her. Julia studied the man, he looked like her father in a way. He was a tall man with dark brown hair and blue eyes, with a very large build. The sight of her calmed her down.


Julia rubbed her neck with her left hand, shrugging. “I don’t know. I think I may have whiplash or something. Do you mind taking me to the hospital?”


“Oh my god. I think she’s dead!” He breathed, sprinting towards her. Julia took a step back.


“No I’m not. I’m obviously alive,” Questioning the man's vision, confusion apparent on her face. The man raced past her, pulling out his phone, Julia followed him, confused.


“Dude, I’m right her-” Julia froze, her hand flying to cover her mouth at the sight of her body laying on the ground, her leg bent at the wrong angle with her arm supporting her head. Julia heard the man talking into his phone, but it was all just a blur to her.


“I’ve found a pulse on her but it’s weak. She may not have that long.” The man said frantically. “Ten minutes? Okay I think that’s fine. Hurry!” He urged before ending the phone call. Julia took four careful steps forward, tears streaming down her face as she kneeled next to her rigid body.


“What’s happening to me?” She sobbed as she placed her hand on her own body. Minutes later, an ambulance showed and rushed to her body placing her onto the gurney and into the ambulance. At the last minute she jumped into the back and watched as they began to rush, putting an oxygen mask over her mouth, sticking needles and assorted prods into her skin. Julia watched the paramedics flutter around her corpse, trying to revive her from leaving the earth. The time passed quickly and they arrived at the hospital a few moments later.


“If we don’t get her into the ER immediately, we’re going to lose her!” The female paramedic shouted as the team of four unloaded her from the ambulance and into the hospital. Racing down the hallway, the girl paramedic yelled out to the receptionist.
Julia followed the team closely, wanting to hear every word they said. “Page Doctor James! Tell him this is a code Purple and she only has minutes or we’ll lose her!” The receptionist nodded quickly, dialing the stationary phone at her desk. Julia stopped, watching her body disappear behind double doors. People hustled past her, no one sensing or knowing she was there. Police arrived shortly after, Julia’s purse and cell phone in hand.

“I believe Julia has come in?” An officer asked the receptionist. The receptionist nodded, pointing towards the double doors. “We know we’re at risk of losing her but I just wanted to let you know that I called her parents and they should be arriving shortly and I believe I should be here to explain what happened.”


Julia watched the two talk, pacing back and forth at the thought of her parents seeing her in such a fragile state. Walking back to the double doors, Julia waited for someone to walk out so she could slip in without causing a scene, knowing that if she opened the door herself, someone would notice a door opening and closing by itself. Julia paused at the sight of the doctor sewing her skin together, her stomach queasy.

“How can I be queasy if I’m practically dead?” She asked herself, taking a step forward.

“Her heart rate is increasing dangerously fast,” The doctor commented as he watched the monitor, Julia’s heart rate rising and falling dramatically.

The Doctor and two nurses worked diligently on Julia for hours before coming to an end. “Get her settled into a room. I’ll be in to check up on her shortly.”

“Yes sir,” The nurses obeyed, wheeling Julia’s body out of the room. Julia watched the doctor began to wash his hands. Crossing her arms over her chest, Julia chewed on her lip. Noticing a flashing light to the left of her, she watched the doctor pick up the phone.

“I’ll be out in a few moments.” He remarked before ending the call. The doctor closed his eyes for a moment before composing himself. Straightening his white jacket, he walked out of the room, Julia close behind him.

“Mr. and Mrs. Boyce?” He announced. Julia watched her mom and dad jump up, Julia’s mothers cheeks stained with tears, her father on the verge of tears. “Hi, I’m Dr. Braverman. I’ve been working with your daughter and she is lucky, she’s slipped out of death;s hands.” Julia’s mother breathed a sigh in relief and smiled at her husband. “But that doesn’t mean we’re totally out of the forest yet. The first 24 hours are the most critical. Your daughter has many broken bones, a fractured rib and needed many stitches. I’m very sorry to tell you this but your daughter is in a coma, and we are unsure of how long it’ll be until she awakens, but it is your daughter’s choice. My team and I decided it was best for her to stay in the ICU until we notice improvements. I’m so very sorry.”

“Can we see her?” Julia’s mother begged through sobs. The doctor nodded.

“The nurses are getting her situated at the moment and the second you’re able to see her I’ll send someone to get you. I will keep you updated on your daughter’s well-being. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.” The doctor shook Julia’s parent’s hands, Julia watching her father holding her mother up from collapsing onto the ground. As the doctor disappeared from sight, Julia’s mother let out a wailing sob.

“My baby, my baby, my baby,” she repeated, shoving her face into her husband’s shoulder. “My baby’s in a coma,” She moaned, tears streaming down her face. Unable to watch her mother’s agony, Julia stood up, placing her pale hand on her mother’s back, her mother not reacting to the simple touch of Julia’s hand.

“Mom, I’m okay. I promise,” She croaked, a tear slipping out of her left eye. Julia’s father led her over to the chairs, sitting her down.

“Listen sweetheart, I’m going to go make some calls. We have to call the family and Cameron.”

“No!” Julia shouted at the sound of Cameron’s name. “I don’t want him here, dad!” She pleaded.

Her father continued, obviously not hearing her. “He’s going to be a wreck,” He muttered as he turned.

“Dad please,” Julia begged, grabbing onto his arm. Julia’s father walked out of the sliding glass doors and into the parking garage not feeling Julia tugging on his arm to get his attention. “Dad please.” Julia watched her father dial the phone, placing it to his ear. Julia ran back to her mother's side, grabbing her hand but feeling nothing.

"Mom please. Cameron can't be here!" She shouted, getting in her mother's face. Her mother stared through her, her hand clenching and unclenching. Julia sat next to her mother, defeated. Julia bounced her leg in annoyance. "I wish someone could hear me."

“Mrs. Boyce?” A nurse announced, glancing at a file in her hands. Julia’s mother stood, rushing to the woman.

“How is she? How’s my baby?” She asked the nurse. The nurse smiled softly.

“No change. We’re doing everything we can,” The nurse assured her mother. Julia’s mother sighed but nodded. “Your daughter has been moved, though. She’s in the ICU on the twelfth level. She’s stable, but let’s not try to upset her. I’ll take you to see her,” The nurse offered.

“Of course, of course. My husband is outside making some phone calls at the moment so I’ll go get him.” Julia followed her mother to the door, stepping across the threshold, but began to feel weak.

“Honey,” Julia’s mother said softly. Julia’s father turned, ending the phone call.

“What’s wrong? Is she okay?” He asked, his voice shaking and hands trembling.

“She’s fine. She’s been moved to the twelfth floor and is in the ICU. The nurse was going to take us up there,” She explained. Her father nodded.

“Your parents are on their way and so is Cameron.” He wrapped his arms around his wife, pulling her close. “Our little girls going to make it. She’s a strong woman.”

“I want to see her,” Her mother weeped. Her father nodded and the two walked back inside, followed closely by Julia. Following the group of three into the elevator, the nurse showed Julia’s parents to her room. Walking into the room before her parents, Julia gasped at the sight of her. Her right arm in a cast, a white piece of gauze wrapped around her head, stitches keeping the skin on her face closed. Her left eye was swollen shut, a gash in her bottom lip causing her lip to be the size of a baseball. Julia sighed, looking down at herself.

“I’m dead. Mom’s going to kill me. But wait, can’t be killed if you’re already dead.” Julia laughed softly at the joke she made, even though she shouldn’t be feeling anything but anxiety due to her condition. Her parents walked in and her mother froze, shocked at the sight of her daughter. Her father took her mothers hand in his for comfort and the two of them approached the bed.

“She’s going to make it,” Her father said once more, as if trying to convince himself rather than her mother. Julia moved around the side of the bed and over to the window sill that was wide enough for her to sit. Julia’s father pulled up two chairs and had her mother sit down. The two were silent as they stared at their daughter in agony. Julia sighed and looked out the window, watching the people below rushing in and out of the hospital, each of their faces telling a story: some written with grief of losing a loved one, others in a trance of happiness, knowing their loved one would be fine.

There was a knock at the door that pulled Julia’s attention away from the people below. At the door stood the last person she wanted to see. Cameron.

“Cameron,” Julia’s mother breathed out, begin to sob once more. Cameron’s eyes never left Julia’s body.

“Mr, and Mrs. Braverman,” Cameron whispered. “What happened?” Julia’s father stood, clasping Cameron’s shoulder. Cameron ran his hand through his brown hair, squeezing his green eyes shut.

“So far, all we know is that she was driving home from your house and ran up the median and flipped over and landed on the hood. She got out of the car but she had been on the side of the road for about an hour before anyone found her.” Cameron drew in a sharp breath, wringing his hands.

“What did the doctors say?” He asked.

“She is in a coma and they aren’t sure if or when she’s going to wake up,” her father replied quietly, as if trying not to wake Julia up. Julia looked at Cameron from the window, watching his face contorting from fear to regret.

“Mr. Braverman,” Cameron croaked. “Julia was leaving my house when she got into the accident. We had gotten into a fight and she had broken up with me. I texted her after she left and I didn’t think she would look at them. She usually doesn’t. But I guess she did and thats why she got in the accident.” Julia watched her father closely, expecting him to blow up at Cameron, but it was quite the opposite of what she was expecting.

“Julia’s mother and I both know that you didn’t force her to look at the messages. It isn’t your fault.” Cameron nodded, biting back tears. “Pull up a chair, the more people we surround her with, the more she’ll want to stay with us.” Julia watched as Cameron sat down, not long after her grandparents showed up, then her aunt and uncle with her three cousins.

“Hey man,” Jake, Julia’s 20 year old cousin said, sitting next to him. Cameron smiled lightly had him, not looking away from Julia. Jake was the reason the two of them met, and the reason that the two of them broke up.

“Julia found out that you bribed me into going out with her in the first place. Thats why she was in the accident that she was in. We got into a fight and she broke up with me and left,” Cameron told Jake. Jake looked at Julia and leaned forward, his elbows resting on his knees, his face in his hands.

“S***,” Jake muttered. Jake looked at Cameron to reply, but a nurse interrupted the conversation.

“I’m sorry ya’ll. Immediate family only.” the family looked at each other and with a collective sigh, they all stood, filing out of the room. The room was empty except for Julia and her mother, who sat in a dazed confusion, staring at her daughter. Julia watched her mother from the window sill, looking up at the clock she noticed it was already ten A.M., Sunday morning. Confused, she looked outside, and saw that it had been fifteen hours since her accident. Time flies when you’re in a coma. Julia studied her mother, her mother begging her to come back to her. Julia stood, pacing.

“I don’t know what to do,” She said aloud. “On one hand, I’ll have to recover and face Cameron. Thats something I don’t want to to do at all. But then if I do leave, I’ll be leaving my family, my friends. I’ll be leaving Cameron.” Julia groaned conflicted, taking her seat on the window sill once more. After hours of watching the people outside, Cameron walked in, causing her to tear her eyes away from the people below.

“Mrs. Braverman,” Cameron whispered, waking Julia’s mother.

“Yeah?” She yawned. Cameron smiled and helped her stand.

“Mr. Braverman asked me to come and get you. He’s going to run home and grab a change of clothes and he asked you to come with. I’ll stay here with Julia. You’re parent’s are here too,” Cameron explained. Julia’s mother nodded and hugged Cameron tight.

“Okay. Are you sure you’ll be okay?” Julia’s mother asked. Cameron smiled and took her seat.

“I’ll be fine. What’s the worst that can happen?” Cameron teased. Julia’s mother slapped the back of Cameron’s head before exiting.

“It’s just you and me, Jules.” Cameron took Julia’s hand in his, kissing it. Julia watched from the window sill, watching Cameron be as gentle as he ever was. "Jules. I need you to listen to me if you can." Julia watched him from the sill, wringing her hands in her lap. "I'm going to tell you the whole story and I need you to listen because I love you and I don't want to lose you. Remember when we first met? It was at Jake’s graduation party. You were talking to your cousin, Hope. The first time I saw you, I was honestly star struck and and that's and that's before you lost all that weight. Your cousin said you had just broken up with your boyfriend, Connor.” Cameron paused, standing up and beginning to pace.

“Remember how I was messing around with Dakota? She was there too. That was the first night of many nights that I couldn't stop thinking about you. From there, it only got worse. I would see you everywhere I went. We had those two classes together. We were partners for that one project in health. It was the first time we’ve talked. But at the time I was still with Dakota and I had to stop myself from hitting on you. It was hard, but I did it, didn’t I?” Cameron smiled softly, looking past Julia and out the window, where Julia’s spirit was sitting. Cameron stopped and looked down at Julia, taking her hand. “I really hope you’re listening.” Cameron cleared his throat before continuing.

“It was summer after that and I hadn’t seen you for a long time, until we went back to school. All I knew was that you were in Florida, living with your aunt. By the time school rolled back around, I had forgotten about you and was in knee deep with Dakota. But then, you walked in and damn. You looked so different. You had lost so much weight and your hair! Don’t get me started about your hair. I just wanted to touch it so much, but I was with Dakota. After that first day, knowing that we had at least six classes together, I knew I couldn’t stay away. So I broke up with Dakota the third day into school, just for you. But I had to find out somehow to ask you out that if you were to say no, I could just say Jake made me do it. So, that weekend after the first week of senior year, I drove up to Memphis to see Jake. I knew he would somehow convince me to ask you out. So I went to him for moral support and, boy, was I right.” Cameron chuckled at the memory, squeezing Julia’s hand to keep himself from crying. “Jake was like the brother I never had and I knew I could count on him. Well when I got there, we talked. We talked for hours upon hours and I told him everything. Everything that happened with Dakota and how I was crushing on you but that I didn’t have the balls to ask you out, and he did exactly what I thought he was going to do. He dared me to ask you out. He bribed me 100 bucks to ask you out and I couldn’t pass up a hundred bucks. Thats gas and food money for the trip back. So I took it and Jake gave me a deadline. I had two weeks from the day to ask you out and if I didn’t, I had to give him his money back. And then some.

“So I came home and planned how I was going to ask you. And let me just tell you, it was nerve wracking. The thought of having to ask a girl like you out was scary but I didn’t want to pay your cousin $150 back so I manned up, and a week later, I asked you out.” Cameron paused, cracking his knuckles. “Do you remember our first date? It was like magic. I took you to the roof of some building where Jake had helped me set up. You didn’t know until the next day that he was there but he was the person that set up the date on that sky-scraper. When I came to your house to pick you up,” Cameron whistled lowly. “You looked gorgeous.

“We had so much fun that night. I knew you were the one that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, and I know that you were going to be there and be my girlfriend for a very long time. I mean, geez Jules. You were everything I was looking for in a girl. And I know that you’re probably wondering why I didn’t tell you about the whole bet, bribe thing but I knew it would end up bad and I thought that you were never going to go out with me and stay with me so I never told you."

"The past six months have probably been the best six months of my life. And I can’t afford to lose you, what-so-ever. You’ve made me into the person that I am today, and I need you to stay with me. I need you to wake up and tell me that you love me and that you want to stay with me. I’m sorry about what happened with Jake and I want you to be with you. I don’t want to lose you.” Cameron laid his head on the hospital bed, unleashing his sobs.

Standing up, Julia took a deep breath and closed her eyes, knowing this would be the hardest decision she would ever have to make.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.