Unfinished Business | Teen Ink

Unfinished Business

By Karenn SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada
Karenn SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada

We accept the love we think we deserve.

Author's note: It doesn't have a happy ending because that's not how real life is. Not everyone escapes their problems and gets a happy ending.

It's the last scene in the play.

LAST SCENE

(The scene is in Stella and Jack’s home during Jack’s poker night. The six men are sitting at the table playing, smoking, and talking. Everything is dark except the lamp hanging above the table. It is 11:30 pm. The game has been going on for about two hours now. You hear the men laughing and cracking jokes.)

JACK: “How’s that mother of yours, Alexsander?”

ALEXSANDER: “Not good, Jack, not good.”

(There is a long pause)

ALEXSANDER: “I should be heading out soon. Ma needs her sleep.”

WINSTON: “Mama don’t sleep without her baby boy, huh? Typical.”

ALEXSANDER: “She doesn’t sleep until I get home. She worries too much. I don’t like that.”

(Stella enters the house)

JACK: “What’s she got to worry about? You ain’t got a woman. Can’t even get one. “

(The men chuckle)

WINSTON: “Well hey there Miss Stella.”

STELLA: (Passing by) “Night, gentlemen.” (Looks at Alexsander disgusted)

JACK: “Where you been, Stell?”

STELLA: (Kisses Jack’s cheek) “Upstairs with Mary.”

JACK: “Very well then.”

STELLA: “I’m going to bed, goodnight.” (Kisses Jack) “Goodnight men.” (Goes into another room.)

ALEXSANDER: “May I be excused?”

JACK: (Gives slight chuckle) “From what? Alex, you’re with the men now. Ain’t nothing to be excused from.”

(Alexsander gets up and makes his way to the bathroom)

JACK: “When you come back we’ll have a bib and bottle waiting for you.”

(The men laugh. Alexsander goes into another room and Stella comes out of the bathroom)

STELLA: (Disgusted) “Alexsander!”

ALEXSANDER: “Stell, look-“

STELLA: (Interrupting) “I thought I told you to stay away.”

ALEXSANDER: “I tried, Stella. I really did. I didn’t come around for over 6 months.”

STELLA: “Well now you can leave and not come back, ever.” (Turns away)

ALEXSANDER: (Angrily) “Look, Jack dragged me here tonight. Do you really think I want to be around the girl I love while she’s with another man? Stell,“ (Grabs Stella’s shoulders)

STELLA: (Interrupting) “Don’t you care call me that.” (Tears start to form) “We can’t do this again, Alexsander. We just can’t. I’m married. I’m in love with Jack, not you.”

ALEXSANDER: (Voice shakes) “I know that’s not true, Stella. You could never be in love with a maniac like Jack. For the love of god, he hits you, Stella! How could you be with someone like that?”

STELLA: “But I am, Alexsander. Please try to understand that.”

ALEXSANDER: “I don’t believe it for a second.”

STELLA: (Harshly) “Well believe it.”

ALEXSANDER: “Stell, please.”

STELLA: “I told you not to call me that.”

ALEXSANDER: “Look, Stella. Don’t listen to the racket your senses are making. Erase everything.”

STELLA: (Voice shaking) “It’s really hard to do nothing.”

ALEXSANDER: “Just try, Stella.”

STELLA: “Look, Alexsander, I’m not the girl that was once in love with you. I’m not sixteen anymore. I’m in love with Jack. Understand that.”

ALEXSANDER: “I guess you have changed Stella. This isn’t you. You wouldn’t dare let anyone lay a hand on you, let alone a man.”

STELLA: (Sobbing) “Stop.”

ALEXSANDER: “The Stella I know laughed when there was no joke, danced when there was no music. Everyone wanted to be her friend. She often spoke of dancing and ballet. She was elusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She came to my rescue when I needed her. You were a miracle. My miracle. But the bad thing is, miracles don’t last long.” (Grabs Stella’s hand)

STELLA: (Softly) “Alexsander…”

ALEXSANDER: “I never stopped loving you, Stell. Even when I was married.” (Turns away)

STELLA: (Shocked) “You were married?”

ALEXSANDER: (Faces Stella again) “I’m sorry, but yes, I was. It was after you left. Things sort of went…. Crazy.”

STELLA: (Squinting her eyes) “Crazy? Crazy how?”

ALEXSANDER: (Turns away)

(There is a long pause)

ALEXSANDER: (Takes deep breath) “With no father, a sick mother, barely any money, no love, I just had it. I didn’t care anymore. I picked up a habit of drinking. I just did it all the time. I didn’t care anymore. I hoped to die. I picked up a reputation of the town drinker and…. I was fired from my position. I moved to a new town to start out new. Things didn’t go well there either, so I came here.”

STELLA: “So, what are you doing here?”

ALEXSANDER: “I got married.”

STELLA: “I don’t understand.”

ALEXSANDER: “I met a girl. She was a girl, just a normal girl. We married when I was twenty two, six months after we met. I had just been a shadow when you left, she shone light on me. A blinding light. But I was unlucky. Deluded. There was something different about this girl. She was always nervous and paranoid. Always so quiet. Always so sad, except with me. Unlike any other sadness. She came to me for help. I didn’t know that at the time. I didn’t find out anything until after she did what she did. I failed her and I wasn’t able to help her with what she needed help with. Her light was going out. She needed my light. She was desperate for it. She was clutching at it but I paid no attention. I refused her. I was slipping in with her. My light was going out too. I didn’t know that at the time. I didn’t know anything except that I loved her unconditionally and I couldn’t help her or me. Then I found out. In the worst possible way. I walked home and there was a huge crowd outside our apartment. I ran. That’s all I did. I couldn’t get near for the crowding. After, somebody caught my arm. “Don’t go in there! Come back! You don’t want to see!” but see what? What was wrong? I heard voices shout, “Emma! Emma! The Wilson girl! She stuck a gun to her mouth and fired!” her head had been blown off.”

STELLA: (Choked up) “Alexsander…”

ALEXSANDER: “It was because of the night before. We had a huge fight. I said horrible things to her. I told her she disgusted me.”

STELLA: “Why? Why, Alexsander?”

ALEXSANDER: “She lied to me, Stell. About everything. About her life. She said she was a small town girl from the south. That much is true. She said she was searching for a fresh start and all her relatives were dead. That’s partly true. I eventually found out the truth. She was practically kicked out of her town. Her family disowned her. She was involved with a lot of men and was dismissed from her job for it. Even young men. As young as seventeen year olds. She was a twenty seven year old woman, Stella. She told me she was twenty years old. She lied to me about everything. Her age, her past, her family, everything.”

STELLA: (Grabs Alexsander’s hand) “I’m sorry, Alexsander.”

ALEXSANDER: “After her death, doctors told me she had been battling with depression for quit some time now. That’s why I left. I went back to New Orleans for my mom and then we came here. When I saw you walking down the street, I thought I was dreaming. I had never seen anything more beautiful than you. I had never felt happier than to see you. I thought I was going to burst from happiness.”

STELLA: (Slightly smiling) “You say such sweet things to me, Alexsander.”

ALEXSANDER: “You deserve them, Stella. Every word. (Grabs Stella’s hand) I was crushed when I found out about your marriage with Jack.”

STELLA: (Starts to cry) “Oh, Alexsander. I don’t love him. I love you. I always have. I went with Jack just for the thrill of it.”

ALEXSANDER: (Hugs Stella) “It’s okay, Stella.”

(There is a long pause)

ALEXSANDER: “I love you, Stella Bellaire.” (Kisses Stella)

(Jack enters the room)

JACK: “STELLA!”

STELLA: (Shocked) “Jack!”

JACK: (Yelling) “Stella, what’s going on?”

ALEXSANDER: “Jack, look-“

JACK: (Walks to Stella and shakes her) “How could you do this? How could you do this to me? I gave you everything, Stella!”

STELLA: (Crying) “I’m sorry, Jack.”

JACK: (Punches Stella)

STELLA: (Falls to the ground crying)

ALEXSANDER: (Runs to Jack to hold him back)

JACK: (Turns around and pushes Alexsander)

ALEXSANDER: “Jack, calm down. Just take a deep breath.”

JACK: (Punches Alexsander hard)

ALEXSANDER: (Falls to the ground)

(Jack continues to struck Alexsander until Stella gets up and throws a radio at Jack)

JACK: (Turns around and pushes Stella to the ground screaming)

(The house is a chaos. There is yelling from Jack and Alexsander and crying from Stella. There are things being thrown around and things being broken. Stella is trying to stop Jack but fails. Jack walks out of the room and leaves Alexsander internally bleeding)

STELLA: (Runs to Alexsander) “Alexsander! I’m so sorry, Alexsander. Just please hold on. We’ll get out of here. The both of us. I promise. Just hold on. Please. Think about our new life together. We’ll live in the countryside by a hill with all of our kids.” (Cries)
ALEXSANDER: (Struggling) Is… is it mine?” (Smiles and touches Stella’s stomach)

STELLA: (crying) “I… I don’t know. There’s a possibility it could be Jack’s.”

(Jack comes back to the room crying and yelling holding a gun pointing it at Alexsander)

STELLA: (Quickly stands up crying) “Jack! Put down the gun! Now! Please. Jack, stop!” (Slowly approaches Jack)

JACK: (Puts down the gun) “We’ll be together forever, Stella.”

STELLA: (Softly) “No, Jack. I love Alexsander. I always did. I’m sorry.”

(Everything becomes quiet except for the heaving breathing. Jack is shaking out of anger and pulls the trigger and shoots Alexsander in the chest. Jack falls to his knees crying. Stella doesn’t react. She’s in shock and falls to her knees crying after. Jack comforts her. Neighbors have called the police and they arrive half an hour later. There is a knock at the door)

JACK: (Opens the door) “Night, officer.”

POLICEMAN: “What’s happened here?”

STELLA: (Comes from the other room crying)

JACK: “He’s shot himself.”

POLICEMAN: “Who?”

JACK: “Alexsander. Alexsander Glowinski.”

POLICEMAN: “Let me take a look.”

(Jack leads the policeman to the other room where Alexsander’s body is lying. The policeman investigates the body. The gun is lying on Alexsander’s hand)

POLICEMAN: “Well, looks like you’re telling the truth, Mr. Harris.”

JACK: (Takes a deep breath)

POLICEMAN: “Care to let me know what happened here tonight?”

JACK: “We were having our regular poker night when Alexsander here went into the other room where my wife was. You see, he’s had a thing for her since they met. He was trying to make her run away with him but she kept denying him. He got angry and hit her and threw things. She told him she didn’t love him. (Looks away) He pulled out a gun and shot himself.”

POLICEMAN: “I see. Is there anyone that can confirm this?”

JACK: “Yes, my wife, Stella.”

POLICEMAN: “May I speak with you, Mrs. Harris?”

STELLA: (Quietly) “Yes.”

POLICEMAN: “Very well then.”

STELLA: (Continues to cry)

POLICEMAN: “Are you alright, ma’am?”

STELLA: (Sobbing) “Just fine.”

POLICEMAN: “Can you tell me what happened here tonight?”

(There is a long pause and Stella is sobbing)

POLICEMAN: “Mrs. Harris?”

STELLA: (Crying) “I’m sorry.”

POLICEMAN: “Can you explain what happened tonight?”

STELLA: “He shot him!” (Pointing in Jack’s direction)

POLICEMAN: “Who shot who?”

STELLA: “He did.” (Points in Jack’s direction)

POLICEMAN: “I’m going to need you to be more clear. Who shot Alexsander Glowinski?”

(Jack walks into the room)

JACK: “Answer him, Stell.”

STELLA: (Looking at Jack) “Alexsander. Alexsander shot himself. (Looks back at policeman) He did it after he hit me. (Looks down) And I told him I didn’t love him anymore.” (Stops crying)

POLICEMAN: (Suspiciously) “Very well then. I’ll be back tomorrow for further questions.” (Opens the front door) “You have a good night.”

(The policeman leaves with the body)

JACK: (Touches Stella’s face) “You did the right thing, Stell.”

STELLA: “Did I, Jack?” (Starts crying) You just killed the man I love right in front of me!” (Puts her hands to her head and grabs her hair) “You killed a man in our home.” (Out of breath)

JACK: (Grabs Stella’s shoulders and shakes her) Don’t you ever talk to me like that again!”

STELLA: (Dizzily pushes Jack away and weakly walks to the door)

JACK: “Stell-”

STELLA: (Touches her head and falls to the ground)

JACK: “Stella! Did I hurt you? I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. I love you, Stella.”

STELLA: (Starts crying)

(Jack hugs and kisses Stella. He picks her up and carries her to the bedroom)