Something in Your Eyes | Teen Ink

Something in Your Eyes

November 26, 2013
By Anon.Writer SILVER, Loveland, Ohio
More by this author
Anon.Writer SILVER, Loveland, Ohio
5 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Author's note: I didn't really write this. Many things contributed to this, and all I did was write it down. Thank you for reading this. Please let me know what you think!

The author's comments:
This chapter follows Anastasia, and is about what she sees and thinks.

Bethany

She skates faster and faster, building up the speed for her next jump. She leaps into the air, and for one moment she is free. Free from all worry, stress, anxiety, dilemmas, and sadness. For one precious moment she can simply fly, fly freely over the ice. She closes her eyes to enjoy the moment fully, and in doing so makes her mistake. One moment she is flying over the ice, ad free as the birds we so often envy, and the next she is sprawled across the ice unmoving.
She woke up in the hospital a two days later. Groaning she did a full body check. Yes, she was still Bethany Hartham. On closer examination she realized that her left arm is in a sling, she cannot feel her her toes on her right foot, and she is covered in bruises.
Great. she thought. How could this possibly be any worse?
She entertained herself for the next few minutes with a pity party, but soon that grew depressing, and she began to look around the room. She had been laying on her back, not moving enough to draw attention, but now as she moved her head to look around, she saw she was not alone.
There was a woman in her late thirties in the room tapping on her laptop. She was so intent on her work that Bethany was able to observe her without being noticed by the woman. The woman was older now, and losing her youth, but there were traces of former beauty, you could tell by looking at her that she used to be a beautiful woman. She was tall, as skinny as a rod, and just as ridged, she had short brown, slightly graying hair, and sharp brown eyes.
The woman looked up, and openly examined Bethany.
"You are Bethany Hartham.", she said matter of factly.
"That's what I have been told.", Bethany said, instantly disliking the woman's commanding tone.
"Do not talk back to me. I am Alanna Pertons. You will speak to me with respect and politeness. Is that understood?", she asked severely.
"I am sorry, but I did not join the military.", she said, purposely disobeying her commands.
"I am sorry, but you are not that lucky. Your family sent me. It is time for you to go home.", she said and walked out of the room.
She gasped and tried to make sense of it all. Her family is but a distant haze of memory. She has not seen them since she was a child. She was told they were unable to care for her and sent her to live in the U.S. until they could reclaim her. She was sent to a foster home, and lived there until she grew out of the foster system. Her foster parents were good, kind people, but they were not her parents. She grew up with something missing in her. There was a void in her heart that was supposed to be filled with love for her family, but there was no one to fill it. She is all alone in this huge world. One little girl so afraid of pain, of love, and of family.
After a few minutes the doctor came in, followed closely by Alanna Pertons.
"Miss Hartham, I am Doctor Richards. You had quite a fall, that was two days ago. You have been in the hospital in between your fall and now. Do you have any questions, concerns, or needs?", he asked, checking her injuries.
"Not at the moment. But thank you.", she said, feeling relieved.
"Let me know if you need anything.", he said and left the room, to look into sending her home.
"Miss Bethany Hartham, what do you know of your family?", Alanna Pertons asked suddenly.
"Next to nothing. All I know is they did not want me, and now they suddenly do.", I said deciding that it would be best to answer her.
"Your family did want you. I should know I am part of it.", she said distantly as though she was remembering it.
"You are related to me?", Bethany asked incredulously.
"Yes, and you need not look so surprised about it. I am your mother's sister. As I was saying, they wanted to keep you, but decided that it would be in your best interest to grow up away from them. Even if it meant they could not watch you grow up.", she said.
"Why? What could be so bad that they would have to send me away?", she asked confused, angry, and hurting.
"Your parents are nobility in Norway. They did not want you to grow up with the social pressures your life there would cause. Your foster parents are not really foster parents at all. Your parents hired them to take care of you while they could not. Your parents have now decided that it is time for you to come home. They believe you to be old enough. I think that they should wait, but they have been most stubborn that you must come home now."
"Why has no one ever told me this?", Bethany asked struggling to understand all the knowledge being thrust upon her.
"Because the wanted you to have as normal a childhood as they could give you. That is why the changed your name.", Alanna Pertons said, sitting down in a chair near by.
"What do you mean they changed my name?", she asked becoming more confused every minute.
"Your name is really Anastasia Fleming, daughter of Duke Fleming. Your parent did not want you to know this, because they did not want you to grow up expecting this life, they want a normal life for you."
"How is this possible? If this is some kind of joke, I promise you it is not funny. Please this is cruel, just leave me in peace.", Bethany or Anastasia said.
"I assure you that this is most certainly not a joke. I realize this a lot of news all at once, but you must accept it and move on." Pertons said crisply.
"You do not understand at all! You have come in here and completely destroyed my entire world! You want me to turn my back on the only life I have ever known to go to another country to be a dutchess! How rare you even say that you understand! Leave me in peace!", she yelled.
"Very well, I will go for now, but I will be back.", Pertons said leaving the room.
Anastasia or Bethany? This question tormented her for hours. Who was she? This is the question she avoided answering for her entire life and now she was being forced to answer it by a complete stranger. She has no idea what to think, what to believe, or what to do. How could she ever handle this? She is only herself, she is not a dutchess, but she has a strange feeling that Pertons spoke the truth.
Doctor Richards enter the room to find her lying in the bed staring at the ceiling, lost deep in thought.
"Miss Hartham, are you alright?", he asked coming to stand next to her bed.
"Yes, I am alright.", she says coming out of her trance.
"Then you are free to go. Come back in six months to see about getting your casts removed. ", he said, helping her to sit up.
"Thank you, I will set up an appointment when I leave.", she said leaving the room.

The author's comments:
This chapter follows Prince Eric.

He walk through the woods, following a long forgotten path meandering through the trees, heavy with snow.
His thoughts slowly drifted through his mind.
He liked to take a walk and get away form the stress of the palace. He appreciated his position as prince of Sweden, but it is not the life he would like to have. He wants to do something, something great. But he is trapped, trapped in a glittering cage. He has come to terms with his fate and has stopped fighting it, but he cannot help that his soul is still longing for something more. He feels a great hunger inside of his soul, something that he needs to do, but somehow can't find what it is he must do. He is stuck in perpetual unknowing.
This unknowing is the worse part. He knows he must do something, if he is ever to rest, but he does not and most likely will never know what it is he needs to do.
His moody thought were interrupt by a small child running into him.
"Woah, there! What's your hurry?", he asked kindly steadying the little girl.
"Mr. Aaker will get me if I do not run.", the little girl said, clearly terrified.
"Who is Mr. Aaker?", Eric asked her.
"I am Aaker. I do not know what this little runt has told you, but I can tell you it is not true.", a deep rough voice boomed, above them.
Eric stood from where he had knelt to speak to the child.
"Why is this child afraid of you?", he said addressing the man in his most royal commanding voice.
The man immediately recognized him as the prince and knelt down.
"Your Majesty, forgive me. I had no idea that it was you I was addressing.", he said grovelling in the dirt.
"You have not answered my question. What have you done to this child, to make her so afraid of you?", Eric asked again.
"Nothing, Your Grace.", the man said.
"What has he done to you?", Eric asked the child. "Do not be afraid I will protect you from him."
"He killed my brother, I saw him do it. He grabbed me and told me if I ever told anyone what I saw he would kill me too.", the girl said starting got cry.
"When did this happen?", Eric asked the little girl.
"This morning.", she said, tears rolling down her cheeks.
"Is this true?", Eric asked the man.
"Your Majesty, she is just a child. She does not know what she is saying.", he said desperately.
"I think she does.", he said coldly. "Come with me. I will keep you safe." He said addressing the child.
Eric left the man sitting in the middle of the lane and walked back to the palace carrying the child.
"What is your name, child?", he asked her gently.
"Helen.", she said.
"Where are your parents?", he asked.
"I don't have any.", she replied.
"Do you have any family?", he asked her, compassionately.
"No.", the girl said sadly.
"Don't worry. I will take carry of you. You will never have to fear Mr. Aaker again.", Eric said holding her close to him.
'My father will not approve of this.' Eric mused to himself.
But his father could think what ever he likes. Eric could not let this child suffer any more.
When they arrived at the palace, Eric left the child in the kitchen and went to see his parents.
He found them deep in a discussion that abruptly ended when he entered the room.
"What is it, Eric?", His mother said.
"I was taking a walk through the woods near by. When I met a child in need of assistance, she was being chased by a man who killed the last of her family, her brother. I have brought her here, and want to keep her here to be my little sister. I want us to adopt her.", he said, calmly although he was nervous.
"What in heavens name are talking about? We cannot adopt a vagabond of the streets! Eric, you know we cannot do this.", his father protested.
"I suggest a trade of 'cannots'. You want me to marry soon, and I want to have her as my little sister. We both say we cannot do what the other asks. What if we both do what we cannot?", Eric suggests.
He is against the idea of marriage, but he knows it is inevitable. At least this way, he might gain a little sister.
"Do you understand what you are saying, Eric?", his mother asks.
"Yes, mother. I do.", Eric says.
"Then it is a deal. You will begin to look for a bride, and we will let this urchin live in the palace.", the king says.
"She will be my sister, not just another person living in the palace.", Eric insisted.
"Very well. Now go your mother and I have important matters to discuss.", he said sending Eric out of the room.

The author's comments:
This chapter follows Anastasia, or as she thinks Bethany.

After six months went by I went to get my casts removed. Thankfully the were ready to be removed, and I finally had all my limbs free.
Alanna Pertons never contacted me in any way, but I thought of her often.
She said she would come back, would she?
I moved on with my life, I went to work, payed my bills, and lived my life as I did before Pertons came and destroyed all the faith I had in my life.
The first few days after I left the hospital, I thought she would come. I lived in dread of her coming, to shatter all my memories. Soon I stopped expecting her, but she still came in my thoughts frequently.
I opened my laptop one morning to find that the Internet was bursting with news about the Swedish Royal Family. They had adopted one of the citizens of the country off the streets, and made her a princess. Of course all the attention was on the prince. He was young, male, had power, and was attractive, so all the attention was centered on him.
I did not even bother to read the story, but closed my laptop, and got ready for work.
I teach figure skating at the Y for children.
I drove over to the Y, parked, and got ready to teach. However, once I got on to the ice to warm up before my students get here, I noticed that some one was waiting for me on the bleachers.
It was Alanna Pertons.
She walked down to met me at the entrance to the ice.
"Anastasia Fleming, I trust you have had enough time to think over what I have said, in these past few months?", she said, as charming as ever.
"I have.", I said shortly.
"Are you coming back with me, or should I come back in six months?", she asked.
"I will go with you but I want to be able to go home if I want to.", I say.
"Get your bags packed, we will leave tomorrow.", she said preparing to leave.
"I cannot go tomorrow!", I exclaimed." I have plans, and work. I can't just pack up and go."
"Very well. I will give you one week. We have to leave as soon as possible. I will return to escort you to Sweden, but you must be ready. I will send you the details, later.", she said and left.
And just like that, I discovered that I have agreed to become the daughter of a duke, revisit my past, and leave this life behind me.
True to her word, Alanna Pertons came for me the following week, and after a hectic, tedious, trio through security we boarded our plane and took off.
She slept most if the way there, but Pertons woke her up to see Sweden from the air. It was beautiful. There are no other words to describe it, it was a truly beautiful scene.
After leaving the plane, they found that her parents had sent a car to pick them up and take them to the family estate.
As they rode through the scenic landscape, Anastasia began to feel nervous.
Everyone feels nervous sometimes, but this is real. She is about to meet her family, this is the one thing that she has always dreamed about. And now that the moment is nearing she wants it to be farther away. She has spent so long dreaming of this moment, that now when it's here, she cannot handle it. What if something went wrong? What if they hated her? What if? What if?
All these questions, doubts, and fears, pounded through her head as they drove ever closer to her past, and future.
The car drove through the iron gates at the beginning of a long winding drive, leading up to a grand mansion.
The car door was opened for them by a butler, who showed them into the house.
"If you would like I will show you to your rooms now.", the butler said stiffly.
"Where are my parents?", Anastasia asked.
"They are still at court, they will be arriving later this evening.", he said, kindly.
"Then, will you please show me to my room?", she asked, trying to hide her disappointment.
She had out an entire life on hold to come here, and they couldn't even be here to welcome her.
"Of course. If you will follow me. ", he said leading her up some stairs and into a well furnished bedroom.
The room was a collection of rooms, she now had a sitting room, a bedroom, a private bathroom, and a closet big enough to be considered a room.
"Thank you.", Anastasia said.
"Miss Fleming, please do not take your family's absence personally. I know it is not my place to say this, but they have eagerly looked forward to today. But the king requested that they all be at court today, and it is impossible for them to refuse. They wanted to be here, and will be here as soon as they may.", he said kindly.
"Thank you for explaining. What am I to do while I wait for them?", I asked him.
"What do you normally like to do?", he asked.
"I figure skate when I have the chance.", I said.
"There is a pond just off of the estate. If you wish, I will show it to you.", he offered.
"There is! Will you please show me?", I said eagerly.
In a short while he showed me out to the pond where I began to skate, and he went back to attend to his chores at the estate.

The author's comments:
This chapter follows Eric, and shows what is happening to him.

He decided to take a walk. He had so much to think over, and not much thinking can be done at the palace.
He walk through the valley, called King's Valley.
He heard a strange noise in the woods. He knew most of the noises in these woods because he walked here so often. He followed the noise until he came to a pond, near the middle of the valley.
There he saw, skating out on the ice, a woman around nineteen years old.
She was tall, and had long blonde hair, pulled back in ponytail.
He watched her skate, as he stood, behind the shelter of the trees.
She leaped into the air, but her foot caught on a branch on the ice, and she fell onto the ice.
In a heartbeat, Eric was kneeling beside her.
He saw her blue eyes, for the first time.
"Are you alright?", he asked, concernedly.
"I am fine, nothing hurt, but my pride.", she said, with a grin.
"What is your name?", he asked her.
"Beth-Anastasia.", she said, her smile fading away.
"Are you sure you are okay?", he asked her.
"Yes, I am fine. But you have an unfair advantage over me.", she said, changing the topic.
"Oh? And what is that?", he asked.
"You know my name, but I don't know yours.", she said, smiling.
"Well, that is an advantage that I am going to keep.", he said, grinning.
"Excuse me? You certainly are no gentlemen.", she said, teasing him.
"Yes, I am! I will prove it.", he said, standing up, bowing, and offering her his hand. "May I help you up, my dear lady?"
"Yes, you may.", Anastasia said, in a fake haughty tone.
He helped her off the ice and they sat down on the ground.
"You see, I am a gentlemen. Admit it!", he said, triumphantly,
"You are not a complete jerk.", she said, teasing him.
"You thought I was a jerk? I am offended!", he said, pretending to be offended.
Anastasia looked at her phone, and stood up.
"Thank you for your help. But I have to go now.", she said, getting ready to leave.
"Why?", he asked, standing up as well.
"I am late for a big appointment. I have to go now.", she said, leaving.
He watched her leave the small clearing where the pond lay.
He realized he would have no way of ever seeing her again.
He sighed, and began to head back to the palace.

The author's comments:
This chapter follows Anastasia.

She wishes she didn't have to leave him there, especially because she didn't even know his name. But her parents are going to arrive soon, and she wanted to look nice, when she meets her family for the first time.
She hurried back to the estate, and ran up to her room. She hurried through her preparations, and soon she was presentable.
She heard a car drive up to the house and she walked down the stairs to the front door.
She attempted to steady her nerves, but she couldn't this is a once in a life time moment.
The door opened and her family walked in. They did not see her right away, but that was alright, this way she could observe them before they observed her.
The man she took to be her father is middle height, had dark light brown hair, light brown eyes, and was slightly overweight.
The woman she thought is her mother is tall, has short blonde hair, blue eyes, and is extremely elegant.
There were two other people with them, a boy and a girl, who appeared to be slightly younger than Anastasia.
They were both tall, and had their father's hair and eyes.
Anastasia's mother at this moment turned around and saw Anastasia standing off to the side.
"Anastasia?", the woman breathed, and in the whole group fell silent, and saw Anastasia.
Her mother walked over to her, and enveloped Anastasia in her arms.
"Oh, my darling! You have come back to us at last!", she whispered.
Anastasia simply held her mother tighter, trying to say all the things she could not speak.
Her mother released her, and her father folded her in his arms.
"My child, welcome home.", he said, kindly.
When her father let her out of his arms, the other two approached Anastasia. The boy spoke first.
"Hello, I am Adam, and this is Birgitta.", he said, welcomingly.
"Hello." Anastasia said.
Birgitta said nothing, but gently pressed Anastasia's hand.
"Come, we should all go into the sitting room, and catch up on all that we have missed.", her mother said, coming to stand by Anastasia.
They walked to the sitting room and sat down. Anastasia sat between her parents on the sofa, and Adam and Birgitta sat in the arm chairs, in the room.
There was no want of conversation that night, and they walked well into the dark hours of the night.
Anastasia went to bed feeling satisfied, and relieved. Her last thoughts were of all the people she met that day, Adam, Birgitta, her mother, her father, and the nameless man in the woods.

The author's comments:
This chapter follows Eric.

Eric arrived back at the palace and went to his apartments to try to sleep.
He discovered that hecould not sleep, and decided to get up and check on Helen. He found her wide awake in her room, crying.
"What is the matter, Helen?", he asked her.
"I had a nightmare, about Mr. Aaker.", she said, sobbing.
"It is alright, Helen. I will never let him hurt you ever again.", Eric said, pulling her onto his lap.
"He didn't hurt me. He killed you.", she said crying even harder.
"Oh.", Eric said, the truth dawning on him.
He was her family now, and if he was to leave her, she would never be the same again.
"Don't worry, Helen. I am not going any where. You are stuck with me for a very long time.", he said, holding her closer.
After she quieted down, he read her stories until she fell asleep. He held her all night, even when he fell asleep.
The nest day was Helen's entrance to court.
Eric woke up to Helen wriggling out of his arms to go get ready.
He smiled at her as she tried to figure out which of her new dresses she should wear that day.
He wished that the day would be a spectacular as she wants it to be.
He got ready, and they went to see his parents together.
"Good morning Eric. Is this Helen?", his mother asked.
"Good morning mother. Yes, this is my little sister.", Eric said smiling.
He was glad that his mother remembered her name, and that she was showing an interest in her.
"Hello, Helen. I am your new mother. But you may call me anything you like.", his mother said, kindly.
"Thank you, Mother.", Helen said, shyly.
They all walked to the throne room, where all the nobles had gathered to see their new princess.
He hoped she would be well received. The lords can be hard to adjust to new things, and they might give Helen a rough time.
He looked over at her. She was busy talking to his mother, about her new room. He could see that his mother already approved of her, and will take good care of her.
Helen's long brown curls bounced, as she twirled for her new mother, her brown eyes sparkled with pleasure, as she waited impatiently for the lords to arrive.
Eric smiled at her impatience, and let his thoughts wander.
They wandered very far, and soon he was thinking of Anastasia.
The way she skated was breathtaking, her smile was radiant, her laugh was rapturous, and her eyes were just a brilliant blue. He was positive that she could lit up the world, just by being herself.
The nobles began entering the room in small groups, and his thoughts came back to the present.
Helen enjoyed the attention she was receiving, but she is so shy that for the most part she hid behind Eric, and her new mother.
Suddenly, Eric say someone that he thought he would never see again.
Across the room, stood Anastasia.

The author's comments:
This chapter follows Anastasia.

Her family told her that the next day, the new princess was to be shown to the court, and she was to accompany them to meet this new princess.
Birgitta woke her up, in the morning to help her get ready.
"Come we must make you look stunning. This is your first time to court, and you will receive a lot of attention.", she said.
"Birgitta, what do you do at court?", Anastasia asked.
"I go and talk to friends. I am to young to do much else. You, however, will be expected to talk politics, play musical instruments in front of people, and flirt with young lords.", she said.
"I another going to flirt with anyone!", Anastasia said, laughing.
"You say that now, but just wait you will.", Birgitta said, laughing too.
We hurried to get ready, and soon we were on our way to the castle.
"Is this your first time going to a castle?", Adam asked Anastasia.
"Yes, it is.", I said.
They immediately launched into a detailed description of the castle, which lasted until we arrived.
They entered the castle through the front gate, and drove up to the door, where we were let out of the car. They then progressed into the throne room.
Anastasia stopped walking and breathing for a minute. There sitting in a throne, was the same tall, dark haired, blue eyed, man from the wood. He was looking at his new sister, and then he looked over the crowd his eyes coming to rest on hers. He smiled at her, and she smiled back. Her attention were then occupied by her new family, who wanted to show her everything they could, while they waited to see the princess.
Eventually they made it up to the thrones. They all bowed to the royal family, and said the appropriate comments.
"This is our eldest daughter, Anastasia.", her mother said, gesturing to her.
"It is a good to have you back among us.", the queen said.
"Thank you, Your Majesty.", Anastasia said, softly. She had barely spoken the entire time and had not lifted her head at all.
They left the thrones and retreated to a corner to await the start of the court session.
Anastasia felt Eric's eyes on her, and looked up to met them. She could tell he was confused about her behavior, but she would not make any answer to his questioning glance. She looked away, and though she often knew he was looking at her, she never met his gaze again.
Many lords and ladies came over to speak with them, but Anastasia was too distracted to really remember them.
Eventually she asked to be allowed to step outside. Her request was immediately consented to, and she left the busy hall, and Eric's questioning eyes.
She stood outside, and left the wind cool her nerves.
"Anastasia", a familiar voice said.
Anastasia spun around to see Eric standing near the door, looking at her.
"Anastasia, what has happened?", he asked.
"Why did you not tell me you are a prince? I was so disrespectful to you, and you let me behave so. Do you not know how this will look to my family?", she asked him, hurt that he would dare ask her what was wrong.
"So, this is why you pretend that you didn't know me.", Eric said, softly.
"I do not know you. I thought I did, but you have lied to me about who you are.", Anastasia said.
"Anastasia, I did not tell you that I was a prince for a few reasons. Will you let me tell you what they are?", he asked her.
She made no reply, but did not leave either so he continued.
"At first, I was concerned that you were hurt and it did not cross my mind. Then I was afraid that you would treat me differently, which you just said you would have. But also, I am not used to people not know who I am, I did not know that you didn't know. I am sorry, that I mislead you. Can we please be friends?", he said.
Anastasia struggled to say no, but she could not say no, and she wanted to be friends.
"Yes, we can be friends. I am sorry I over reacted.", she said, meeting his eyes again.
"You did not over react.", he said, kindly.
Anastasia smiled at him.
"Will you walk with me?", he asked.
"Don't you have to go back to court?", I asked.
"Should I go back to court? Yes. Will I go back to court? No. I am tired of politics, I want to be free from it for a few hours. Will you walk with me?", Eric said, smiling.
"Yes, I will.", Anastasia said, letting him lead her towards the forest outside of the palace grounds.
"So, Anastasia. You seem to have had quite a rough few months. Learning you have all this...mess.", he said, kindly.
"Yes, it has been hard to adjust to, and I don't think I have adjusted at all. I hate it when people call me Anastasia. The name is too formal.", I said, letting him know what is in my mind.
"What do you want people to call you?", he asked.
"Anna, normally, but they can call me Anastasia on very formal, or special occasions.", she said, with a smile.
"Very well, if you want I will begin to call you Anna.", he said, grinning.
"Yes, please do.", she said, pleadingly.
"Well then, Anna. What do you think for your new, old family?", he asked.
"I don't know. It is so strange to have siblings, and know that I have parents. But it's a good strange. I am not making any sense. What about you, how do you like having a sister?", I asked.
"Helen is wonderful. But I am so worried about her, not only has she just become a publics figure at age six, but she has had so much hardship recently. Her parents died of an illness roughly two weeks ago, and then one week ago, her brother was murdered in front of her. Then his killer threatened to kill her too. I put the killer in jail, and she is safe now. But she is six, how much can she handle?", he said, sounding anxious.
"That poor, poor, girl. No wonder that she adores you so much. But I think that she will be okay. You need to be there for her, but you cannot be worrying about her all the time either.", Anna said.
"I cannot help worrying about her. I known I shouldn't, but I do.", he said, sadly.
"You are a good brother. I am glad she has someone like you.", Anna said, smiling up at him.
He smiled back at her, and they walked on in silence for a while.
"Do you like Sweden?", he asked her.
"Yes, it is very beautiful.", she said.
"I am glad you like it. Do you miss America very much?", he asked her, cautiously.
"Yes, I do. It's was my home for most of my life. I don't see how anyone would not miss the country they grew up in. But maybe I will go back some day.", she said, missing her old life.
"You gave up a lot to come here.", Eric said.
"Yeah, I gave up the only life I have ever known, I gave up seeing my friends, I can still text them, but it is not the same as seeing them.", she said, sadly.
"Do you often ice skate?", he asked her, kindly changing the subject.
"Yes, I find it exhilarating.", she said, grateful for the subject change.
"You are very good at it! I saw you skate yesterday.", he said.
"You mean before I fell flat on my back.", she said, with a laugh.
"You are very talented! You were skating on rough ice.", he insisted.
"You are too kind.", she said, smiling at him.
"I am being honest.", he protested.
"Well, if you are going to argue with me, I will just go back to the palace.", she teased.
"Fine, I will stop arguing, but I still think you are too modest.", he said.
They walked in the woods, just getting to talk and relax away from their social pressures.
Anna's phone began to buzz.
"Hello?", she said answering it.
"Anastasia! Where are you? Your parents are worried sick about you!", Alanna Pertons voice yelled.
"How did you get my number?", Anna asked, confused that Pertons would be able to contact her.
"Never mind that! Where are you?", she snapped.
"I don't know, I am taking a walk.", she said, not understanding what all the fuss is about.
"Your parents have been looking everywhere for you! You are supposed to be at the palace! Do you have any idea what you have done?"
"I am sorry. I didn't think I have been gone very long,"
'You have been gone for an hour and a half! Get back to the palace immediately!", Pertons yelled, and then hung up.
"What is the matter?", Eric asked, seeing how upset Anna looked.
"I have to get back right now.", she said, and she began to retrace their steps.
"Why? What happened?", he asked, not understanding why she would be in such a hurry.
"My parents have been looking for me. I thought that I had only been gone for twenty minutes or so. But I have been gone for an hour and a half. They must be so worried.", she explained, not slowing down.
"This is all my fault. I will go explain to them what happened.", he said, following Anna.
"Please don't. I appreciate the offer, but if they knew we were together.....", she trailed off.
"I understand. Let me know if there is anything I can do.", he said, as they neared the palace.
They separated once inside the gates, Anastasia going to find her family, and Eric going off to court.
"Anastasia! There you are!", Adam said, catching sight of her.
"Anastasia!", her mother said, hugging Anna tightly.
"Where were you?", her father asked sternly.
"I took a walk. I began to feel sick, so I thought it would be best to stay away. I am sorry.", Anna lied.
"Well, you are back now. Come with us. So many people want to meet you.", Birgitta said, gently reminding them that they need to go.
They all walked back into the throne room to mingle with the nobility.

The author's comments:
This chapter follows Eric.

Eric went to parliament to find the whole place arguing about whether or not they should declare war on Finland.
Although, the decision was important, Eric knew that there would most likely be no war.
"Prince Eric, do you think that we should let Finland get away with this scandal?", a lord asked him.
This lord was Duke Edstorm, he often vote in favor of an uncalled for war.
"What scandal?", Eric asked.
"Why, Your Highness doesn't know. I assumed you would considering how important this news will be to you. My sincere apologies.", Duke Edstorm stammered.
"Father, what is going on?", Eric asked the king.
"Finland insist that if you are to marry you must marry Princess Venla. She will be here in two days.", his father said.
"You agreed to this? Father, I agreed to marry, I did not agreed to have an arranged marriage. Please is there no way that we can keep them at bay?", Eric asked him.
"Not unless, we want a war on our hands.
Eric, I told them that we would be glad to have Princess Venla with us, but I told them that I would not make you marry her. It is your choice if you marry her or not. Do not decide right now. Wait until you have met her and then consider the matter.", the king said, turning away from Eric, and began to redirect parliament to different matters.
Eric sat silently, for the rest of the meeting, and when it was over, he left to go find Helen.
He found Helen in her room, talking to Anastasia.
He smiled at the sight of them, sitting on the bed together, so deep in conversation that they did not notice him come in.
"Hello.", Eric said, to announce himself.
"Eric!", Helen said, bouncing off the bed and running over to him.
"Have you been behaving yourself?", Eric asked her.
"Yes, I am having an audience with my new friend, Anna.", she said excitedly.
Eric looked up at Anna, and smiled.
He was glad that they were friends, they would get along wonderfully he knew.
"Is Anna in trouble?", Eric asked Helen, playfully.
"Oh, no! She is my friend, and we are going to have a tea party tomorrow. If mother says its okay.", Helen said.
"I am I invited?", Eric asked.
"Anna, can we invite Eric?", Helen asked her, anxiously.
"I don't know, last time I meet him he behaved abominably.", Anna said, teasing Eric.
"I was a perfect gentleman.", Eric protested.
"Can we please invite him?", Helen begged.
"Oh, alright. I won't fight with both of you!", Anna said throwing her hands up in surrender.
"I am going to go ask mother right now.", Helen said, gleefully running out of the room.
"How did you two become such good friends?", Eric asked Anna.
"She was standing all alone, so I went to talk to her. She really is a wonderful girl.", Anna explained.
"Thank you, for taking care of her.", Eric said, sitting down on the bed next to her.
"Are you okay, Eric? You seem tense.", she asked.
"Yeah, I am fine.", he said, trying to hide just how upset her really is.
"Eric, you don't have to tell me what is wrong. But don't like to me. I know something is wrong. You don't need to tell me, but you don't have to pretend around me either.", Anna said, gently.
"I am sorry, Anna. You are right, I don't have to pretend around you. Are you sure that you want to know?", he sighed.
"If you want to tell me, then I want to listen to you.", she said.
Just as he was about to answer, Helen came skipping back into the room to announce that they could have their tea party tomorrow.
"That's great, Helen!", Anna said, enjoying how happy the little girl was.
"You will come won't you, Eric?", Helen asked, sobering.
"Of course, I will come!", he said, smiling down at her.
Helen danced around the room, chattering excitedly about what they would do the next day.
The clock in the room, began to chime.
"It's five o'clock. I have to go now.", Anna said, standing up.
"I will walk you out.", Eric said, following her out the door.
"Anna, I want to talk to you at some point tomorrow. Can you spare a few minutes for me?", he asked her, as they walked through the halls.
"Of course, Eric! All you had to do was ask. Frankly, I will be glad to get away from the court.", she said.
"Thank you. I will leave now, your parents will find it...odd that we know each other. And I don't want you to have to deal with the court gossiping about you. I will see you tomorrow, Anna.", Eric said, stopping.
"Oh, okay. Bye, Eric. By the way, should I call you Prince Eric?", she asked turning around to look at him.
"Absolutely not! Not when we are alone, or only with Helen. But in public yes, you have to, not by my choice you understand, it has to be this way.", he said.
"Okay, bye!", she said, turning back and walking away.
The rest of Eric's day, he found boring, and he could not wait until the day was over.

The author's comments:
This chapter follows Anastasia.

Once she returned to her family they left the palace. On their way home, her was informed of every person who mentioned her, or even might have mentioned her, and they mentioned something about the prince being engaged, but she ignore it, thinking that is was just gossip. Although, she knew that they were doing this for her, she hated every minute of it. All these people that she doesn't know, and yet they pretend to know her.
She let them prattle on about how popular she was, but she did not say anything to them that was not absolutely necessary. She noticed Adam, staring at her with a knowing look.
Once we got back to the estate, she left the family and went upstairs to her room. She threw herself on her bed, and groaned loudly.
"That bad, huh?", Adam said, sympathetically. He was leaning against the door frame, looking over at her.
"Yes. Come in and shut the door.", she said, sighing.
"Are you going to tell me who you were with?", Adam asked coming to sit on my bed.
"Do you promise not to tell anyone? Not even the family?", she asked him.
"Yes, I promise, but I don't see how it could be so serious.", he said.
"I was with Prince Eric.", she said, shortly.
"What? The prince? Anastasia, how did this happen? Explain everything.", he said, seriously.
"Before you came back from court yesterday, I arrived and went ice skating in a valley called King's Valley. As I was skating, I fell, and suddenly he was there making sure I was okay. We started to talk and he seemed really nice. I did not know he was the prince. I left, because you would be back soon. Then, I saw him today, and he could tell he need to explain so he came out to talk to me, when I stepped outside. He wanted me to take a walk with him, so I did. I was visiting the princess, and he came in and talked to me again. That's all.", she said.
"Anastasia, this is really serious. We are talking about the prince of Sweden. This could be a good thing, you are close to the royal family, and we get tons of bonuses. But on the other hand, this could become a nightmare. People will try to use you, or you argue with them, which would hurt the family's name.", he said, slowly.
"What am I supposed to do?", Anastasia asked, sitting up on the bed.
"It depends. How does he act around you?", Adam asked.
"He acts like a normal person. He has me call him, Eric, but only in private. He is funny, kind, sweet, and just a really nice guy."
"Have you two ever fought?"
"Well, not really. There was a time, when I first found out he is the prince, that I was upset with him. But we didn't really fight about it."
"Then, if I were you, I would be civil to him, and not avoid him. But make him come to you. Don't try to find him or talk to him, let him find you. Give this some time, maybe this is nothing to worry about.", Adam said.
"Thanks, Adam.", she said.
"You can always talk to me. But as a friendly warning, don't tell mom, dad, or Birgitta. Mom and Dad will use you, they won't do it knowingly, they think they are just being your parents. And Birgitta, she has been trying to get close to Prince Eric for a long time. She will not be happy if she discovers that you have managed to do in a few hours, what she has been trying to do for at least a year.", Adam cautioned.
"Okay, I won't tell them. Thanks for looking out for me.", Anna said.
They talked about other things for a while, and then Adam left the room.
Anna lay back down on the bed. She knew that be friends with Eric, would affect her situation in Sweden, but she had no idea that it would be this severe. She wanted to be friends with Eric, he is the one person in Sweden who she is not related to, who has been kind to her. But this is also a lot to try to handle, after only two days in a new cultural setting.
All this rolled around in Anna's head until she dropped off to sleep.

The author's comments:
This chapter follows Eric.

Eric paced his room impatiently. His thoughts moving even swifter than his feet.
The gentry were late. He was sure of it. They always come before now. What could be taking them so long, to arrive. How could he wait any longer for their arrival?
All these thoughts ran through his head, again and again.
He, thinking he heard a car, walked over to the window.
There was no one there. He looked out across the front of the palace.
He remembered walking there with Anastasia.
He resumed his pacing again, only to immediately rush back to the window, at the sound of a car coming towards the palace.
Eric watched the people exit the car, and saw that none of them were who he was waiting for. He kept pacing, to be interrupted by another car, and realize that she has still not arrived.
He heard another car pull up to the door, and for once he did not go of to the window. He was tired of expecting to see her, and then being disappointed.
He sat down in the library, and waited for someone to tell him to go to the parliament session.
Helen bounced in, excitedly.
"It's time for the tea party!", she said, happily.
"Is Anna here?", Eric asked her, quickly.
"Yes, she is in my room, waiting for us.", she said, impatiently.
Eric hurried down to her room, with Helen struggling to keep up behind him.
Eric opened the door, and there was Anastasia, sitting at a small table set up for the tea party.
"Anna", was all Eric could manage to say.
"Good morning, Eric.", Anna said, trying to understand his strange entrance.
"Now we can start the tea party!", Helen cried, gleefully as she entered the room.
"Helen, can I talk with Anna, alone for a minute? We will not take a long time.", Eric asked Helen, kneeling down to be at eye level with her.
"Alright, but hurry back!", Helen said, lightly.
"We will. Thank you, Helen.", Eric said, standing up.
He lead Anna out of the room, and into one of the many sitting rooms.
"We will not be interrupted here.", Eric said, shutting the door behind them.
"Eric, what do you want to tell me?", Anna asked, gently reminding him why the were there.
"I wanted to warn you. You are the talk of the court. You are one of our own, who has been gone a long time, and returned a beautiful young woman. There are rumors spreading like wildfire, and I don't want you to get hurt. The gentry function differently than any other, group of people I have ever heard of. They are almost different creatures, but too similar to trust.", Eric said.
"What are they saying?", she asked, cautiously.
"They say many things including: you were a gambler and your parents had to call you home, you have always been here and your parents simply hid you away at your house, and that you have been adopted. I don't believe any of them, but most of the court does. You cannot let it bother you. They do it because you interest them, it will all die down soon enough.", he said.
"Thank you for warning me, Eric. But now it is my turn to warn you.", she said, slowly.
"What about?", he asked her.
"People are saying that you are engaged to a foreign princess.", Anna said.
"Unfortunately, that is one rumor that is partly true.", Eric said, standing up and pacing the small room.
"What do you mean?", Anna asked him, shocked that it would be true.
" I am not really engaged, but I fear I soon will be.", he said, cryptically.
"Eric, please explain."
"The government of Finland demand that if I marry, I marry Princess Venla. If I refuse to marry her, then Finland will declare war on Sweden.", he explained, sadly.
"That is horrible! Can they even do this?",Anna asked, incredulously.
"Yes, they can. I don't what I am going to do. I cannot marry her, but yet I have to. Oh Anastasia, what am I going to do?"
Anastasia simply walked over to where he stood at the window, and put her arms around him. Eric wrapped her his arms around her shoulders, and held her close to him. They simply held each other, and for that too short moment, they could both rest, knowing the other person was there.
"We should get back.", Anna said, pulling away.
"Yes, you are right.", Eric said, sad that he had to let her go, but knowing that it was for the best.
They walked back to Helen's room, together. Eric felt more at peace now, then he had ever felt before, and he knew it was Anastasia's doing.

The author's comments:
This chapter follows Anastasia.

She was glad that Eric trusted her enough to tell her things of this much importance, but she could not help being shocked at what is expected of him. He is just one person. He could not possibly be expected to marry, a person he barely knows. But yet, he is stuck in this position. It made her furious that anyone would even suggest it.
They began the tea party, once they came back. Helen enjoyed it immensely, but Anna was too distracted by what she had just learned to fully enjoy Helen's delight.
"Helen, I have to go now. Parliament begins in a few minutes.", Eric said, softly.
"Okay, Eric.", Helen said, sadly.
"I should go too. My parents will be expecting me.", Anna said, standing up to go.
Eric looked at her with an unreadable expression.
They both left the room, and as they both had to go in the same direction they walked together.
"Anna, are you alright?", Eric asked her, concernedly.
"Yes, I am fine.", she said, quietly.
"You once told me, that you don't have to tell me, but don't lie to me.", he said, gently.
"I know. I am sorry, Eric. It is just hard for me to adjust to the court.", she said.
"Has anyone been bothering you?", he asked, almost angrily.
"No, Eric. Everyone has been kind, and considerate. The customs are so different.", Anna explained.
"I suppose they are.", he said, softly.
"I do love Sweden, but it is a big change.", Anna said, quickly seeing his face.
"It's alright.", Eric said, managing a small smile.
They walked together, until they came to where they would have to go in opposite directions.
"I will see you tomorrow, if not sooner.", Eric said.
"I will see you then.", Anna said, and walked away.
She could feel Eric's eyes following her until she turned a corner, but even then she had the strangest feeling that he was still watching over her. Anna felt that she had done, or said something wrong. Eric was upset now, and somehow it was her fault. She resolved to find out what she did, and fixing the problem.
Brigitta came into view, and walk towards Anna.
"Anastasia, you are wanted now.", Brigitta said.
"Okay, I am on my way to find the family. But I am afraid I am lost.", Anna said.
"Follow me, I will show you where they are.", Brigitta said, softening.
"Thank you!", Anna said, gratefully.
"What were you doing so close to the royal apartments?", Brigitta asked as they walked through the twisting, winding halls.
"I told you I was lost.", Anna said, avoiding the question.
Apparently this was what Brigitta wanted to hear, and Anna was not further questioned.
Brigitta lead Anna into a room full of nobles, both women and some men.
"I thought all the men were supposed to be in Parliament.", Anna said.
"No. Each family is represented in Parliament by the head of the family. Only the royal family has to send all their males.", Brigitta explained, patiently.
"Girls, come over here.", their mother said.
"She has been busy finding you suitors, and she has not had any trouble .", Brigitta informed her.
"Anastasia, this is Mr. Valter Berg.", Anna's mother said, pulling Anna away from Brigitta and towards the man.
Mr. Berg bowed to Anna, and Anna curtsied the best she could.
"I meet you at last, Anastasia Fleming. I have waited a long time to meet you.", he said, as soon as they were alone.
"It is nice to meet you.", Anna said, politely.
"I have heard of course the many rumours concerning you, but I have found them all to be untrue.", he said.
"Thank you.", Anna said, unsure how to answer him.
"I think we will be great friends.", he said.
They talked for a few more minutes, with Anna growing more and more desperate for escape every second. Eventually a woman around Anna's age came over to them.
"Mr. Berg, how nice to see you.", she said warmly.
"Hello, Miss Olsson. This is Miss Fleming.", he said.
"Why Mr. Berg! How selfish you are! You know I have been waiting to meet Miss Fleming. Now I must have her all to myself! I am sure you will excuse us. Won't you?", she asked him, in such a way that for him to refuse would be out of the question.
"Of course. Miss Fleming, I hope to speak with you again soon.", he said, and left.
"Come with me.", the woman said, leading her to a quiet corner of the room and sitting down on some chairs.
"Thank you for saving me.", Anna said.
"Don't mention it. I am Elsa Olsson.", she said, kindly.
"It is nice to meet you." Anna said, warmly.
They sat and talk together until it was time for them to go home again.
"Good bye, Anna. I will see you tomorrow.", Elsa said, walking towards her family.
"Good bye, Elsa.", Anna said, turning to go to her family, but when she turned into someone.
The person steady her against himself.
"I am sorry. I should have looked where I was..", Anna began to say, but trailed of when she saw who she had run into.
"Anastasia.", Eric said.
"What are you doing here?", Anna asked, removing herself from his arms.
"I came to see you, but if you want me to go, I will.", he said, trying to hide his disappointment in her reaction to him.
"No, please stay! I am sorry, you startled me.", she said, regretting her words.
"I wanted to know if you would meet me tonight?", he asked.
"Yes, I will. But where?", she responded.
"Meet me at the lake, in King's Valley, at eight o'clock.", Eric said, and with a small smile, he left.
Anna went to her family, and as they stepped into the car, she looked up and saw Eric watching her. She smiled at him, and stepped into the car.
After dinner the family gathered in a sitting room.
"May I go ice skating?", Anna asked after a few minutes.
"At this hour?", he father asked her.
"Yes, I love to skate at night, and I haven't been able to skate in a long time.", she said.
"I don't see the harm in it. But you must be back by ten o'clock.", he said, turning back to his book.
Anna quickly got ready and set out for the valley. She stopped by the edge of the trees and saw that Eric was waiting for her.
"Eric?", she said, quietly.
He turned around, and walked towards her.
"Anna, I am glad you managed to get away.", he said, in a hushed tone.
"Why did you ask me to come?", she asked him.
"Because I want to see you, I want to be with you. I see you at court for a few minutes, but I want more than that. When I am with you, I am a different person. When I am with you, I am no longer Prince Eric, but simply Eric. I want to spend time with you, I want to get to know you.", he said, holding Anastasia close to him, as though he was scared she would leave.
"I want to be with you too.", was all Anna could managed to say.
Eric sighed with relief, and held her closer to him. She put her arms around him, and let him support her.
"Anastasia, will you skate for me?", he asked her, when they released each other.
"Only if you will skate with me.", she said.
"But I don't have any skates with me.", he said.
"I thought that we might skate, so I brought an extra pair.", she said, grinning.
"Is there anything you don't think of?", he asked her, smiling.
"No. Now, put on your skates.", she commanded.
"As you command.", he said, with a mock bow.
"Oh, shut up!", she said, pushing him onto a fallen tree.
He grinned and put on his skates. He joined her on the ice, and the skated together for a while.
"Eric, why did you ask me to skate?", Anna asked him.
"I was afraid you would ask that. I will not answer you, because you will not like the answer, and you will be mad at me.", he said, with a smile.
"Please tell me. Please, Eric, tell me.", she said.
"I cannot tell you no.", he said with a sigh, and a smile."I asked you to skate, because I love to watch you skate. You are so happy on the ice, and I have never seen that happiness anywhere else. I want you to always be as happy as you are when you skate."
"I am happy.", Anna protested.
"No, you're not. I see how unhappy you are. You miss your old life very much, and this life has brought you nothing, but pain and worry. You are miserable here, and yet, you pretend to be happy, so that everyone else around you can be happy. You are the most considerate, kindest, most giving person, I have ever met. But I wish that you could be happier.", he said, standing still.
"Eric, you are right, I miss my life in America. But I enjoy my life here as well. I am starting to adjust, and yes, it is hard, but I know it will be worth it in the end.", Anna said, turning around to stand in front of him.
He took both of her hands, in his, and gazed into her eyes.
"Anastasia, I....", he began, but was stopped by a sound in the woods near by.
A figure emerged from the woods, and rapidly approached the lake. Anna took back one of her hands, but Eric insisted on keeping the other.
"Anastasia, come here.", Adam's voice carried over to them.
"Adam?", Anna ask, confused.
"Yes, come here. Please hurry there has been an accident.", Ada, said.
Anna skated over, and Eric, unwilling to let her go, followed.
"What happened?", Anna asked, as she changed into her regular shoes.
"There is no time to explain, we have to go.", he said, impatiently.
Anna stood up to go.
"I will see you tomorrow, Eric.", she said, and followed Adam through the trees.

Anna hated to leave Eric once again at the lake, but she had no choice. She followed Adam back to the house, where he lead her into his room, and ordered her to sit on the bed.
"Adam, what has happened?", Anna asked, worriedly.
"I just heard that your foster mother has died. I am sorry for your loss.", he said, quietly.
Anna remained motionless. The woman, who raised her, loved her, and was her constant comfort, was dead. It was not right, there is something missing. This couldn't happen to her foster mother, she was too good to die.
Anna felt that all the joy was gone from the world, and all that she had ever felt, thought, and loved was a lie.
"How?", she managed to gasp.
"She was flying to Sweden, her plane ran out of fuel, and crashed.", he said.
"It is my fault. It is my fault that she is dead.", Anna said, realizing what Adam had left unsaid.
"No, it's not. Anna, you can't blame yourself....", he started to say, but Anastasia interrupted.
"Please stop! You have no idea what this is like. You have both of your parents! It is my fault that she is dead! Leave me in peace!", she cried, and left the room in tears.
She lay wake all night, thinking of what she should do. In the morning, she got up and went downstairs to her family.
"I am going home.", she said, and left the room before they could object.
She began to pack, and was almost done, when there was a knock at the door.
"Come in.", she said, with missing a beat.
Adam opened the door.
"Anastasia, I am not here to talk you out of going so don't yell at me.", he said.
"Adam, I am sorry about what I said last night. I didn't mean any of it.", she apologized, pausing in her work.
"It's okay. Aunt Pertons is coming, to talk you out of going. Mom and Dad sent for her. I brought you this.", he said, handing her a plane ticket."You have to go in an hour, before Pertons is here."
"Adam, can ask you a favour?", she asked.
"Of course. How can I help?", he asked.
"I need you to give this letter to Prince Eric.", she said, handing him a letter.
"I will.", he said, and got up to go.
"Adam, thank you for everything.", Anna said, trying to show him how much he is appreciated.
"Your welcome. Hurry and go, don't say good bye to the rest of the family. Good bye, Anastasia. Please come back.", he said, and was gone.
Anna followed his instructions and was soon at the airport waiting for her plane to begin boarding.

Adam left Anna's room and went downstairs to distract the family, while she left.
"Adam, can I talk to you?", Brigitta asked him.
"Yes.", he said, and followed her into a small room.
"She is going to run, before Aunt Pertons is here, isn't she? And you are helping her.", she said, bluntly.
"Yes, but you cannot tell mom or dad. Please this is important to her.", he told her.
"I won't! I am sick to death of listening to everybody talk about her. They will continue to talk for a few days, and then she will fade into oblivion.", she said.
"Brigitta! This is your sister you are talking about.", he said, angrily.
"Yes. But I am tired of her lording it over me that she is the eldest, she is the favourite, and she is the prettiest. Aren't you sick of her too?", she asked, annoyed that Adam would stand up for Anna.
"She did not do that, Brigitta, and you know it. You have probably just lost a sister forever, and this how you act. I am ashamed of you.", Adam said, stalking out of the room.
He paused outside of the drawing room that his parents were in, to calm down.
He knew that Brigitta was just jealous of all the attention Anna was getting. But that did not excuse her behaviour.
He walked into the room and began a conversation with his parents.
"Do you think there will be a war, Father?", he asked his father, but caught his mother's attention as well.
"There will be if the prince refuses to marry, the Finnish princess. But I don't think he will deny his country peace. He seems like a reasonable young man.", his father replied.
"But yet, he seems to value rights very highly. What will happen if there is a war?", he asked encouraging his father to keep talking.
"Then, we will do our part for Sweden, as anyone else. But I don't think there will be a war, the prince seems like to good of a person, to be so selfish.", his father replied, ending the conversation by picking up his book again.
Adam hoped that Anna had gotten out of the house by now, and was safely on her way to the airport.
"I am going to go see my friends at the palace.", Adam said, getting up.
"Alright, dear.", his mother said, distractedly.
Adam quickly left the room, only to meet Pertons in the hall.
"Adam, is the girl still here?", she asked him sharply.
"I have not seen her go.", Adam said truthfully.
"The little ingrate.", Pertons said spitefully.
"Please excuse me.", Adam said, and left her to go talk with his parents.
Adam left the house before they discovered that Anna was gone, and was soon at the palace. He requested an audience with the prince.
In a few minutes the prince came in.
"You are Anna's brother, Adam, aren't you?", Eric asked him.
"Yes, Your Highness.",he said.
"Is she here?", Eric asked, anxiously.
"No, we might not see her ever again.", Adam said, sadly.
"What? Explain!", Eric exclaimed.
"Here. She asked me to give you this.", Adam said, giving Eric the letter, form Anna.
Eric tore open the letter and read it quickly.
Adam saw his face change from an expression of worry to an expression of pain.
Eric collapsed onto a chair, and read the letter again.
"I will never see her again?", he asked, in shock.
"I don't know. But if we do see her again it will not be for a long time.", Adam said, softly.
"Adam, you are her brother. You know how wonderful she is. Please help me. I need her, I don't know why I do. But I need her, badly. Please help me. Is there anyway I can contact her?", Eric asked, desperately.
"Yes, there is. But before I tell you, I want you to look me in the eyes and swear you won't try to stop her.", Adam said.
"I swear that I will not try to stop her.", Eric said.
"Then I will tell you , she is at the airport. Her plane will leave at eleven, and now it is only ten thirty. If you leave immediately you can talk to her in person before she goes.", Adam said.
"Thank you, Adam! I will not forget this.", Eric said, and hurried to leave.
Adam left the palace, and when he arrived home, he ignored everyone, and went to think about what he learned. Alone in his room, his was able to think clearer.
That the prince is in love with Anastasia is obvious. But does he know it? If he does know, then does Anna know? If they both know, then what will be done about Finland?
All these questions and more had no answers, but deserved a great deal of thought.

Eric rushed onto the airport,but by the time he got there the plane Anastasia is on was already boarded and waiting to take off.
"Can you please let me on?", Eric asked the captain.
"It is against policy.", the captain said.
"Please, I am the prince. I am Prince Eric. I just want a few minutes with one passenger.", Eric begged.
"Alright, you have until the runway is cleared. Make it fast.", the captain said, letting him on the plane.
Eric hurried on board and began to search the plane, he got many curious glances, but he paid no attention to them.
Eric stopped in the middle of the plane, when he caught sight of Anastasia. He walked over to her, and put his hand on her shoulder.
"Anastasia.", he said softly.
She turned around at the sound of his voice, and when she saw it was him, she stood up.
"Eric, I have to go...", she began.
"Hush. I know, and I will not stop you. I don't want you to leave, but you are independent, and may go where you chose. Your brother, Adam, gave me your letter, and after making me swear not to stop you sent me here to find you.", Eric said, gently.
"Eric, I will miss you.", Anastasia said, wrapping her arms around him.
"I will miss you too.", he said, holding her tightly.
He held her close to him, and never wanted to let her go.
"You have to write to me. I don't have a phone or an email, because I am a prince. But I can write to you, and receive letters. Will you write to me?", he whispered.
"I will write to you every time I receive one of your letters.", she whispered back.
He smiled, and although he couldn't see it, he could feel her smiling too.
"Oh Anastasia, will you ever come back?", he asked her, sadly.
"I don't know.", she said, hiding her face in his shoulder.
"Time is up.", the captain said, coming over to escort Eric off the plane.
"Anastasia, I want you to know that you are important to me, and I will write to you everyday.", Eric said, holding her closer.
"I will write to you, and I will think of you.", Anastasia said, holding on tighter.
They slowly parted, neither wanting for the other to leave.
Eric stepped of the plane and soon it took off. He felt that something was missing from him, and was with Anna somewhere is the sky.
He knew he would miss her terribly. Somehow after a few short hours, she had become close to him. He felt that he had known her all his life.
He sat down in the airport, and put his head in his hands. He didn't know how long he sat there, but after a few hours he got up and went back to the palace. He went back to his cage, that he escaped for a while when he was with Anastasia.

To Prince Eric,
I am writing during the first calm moment I have found.
Everyone is trying to be kind and considerate, but I wish they would just leave us alone.
I worry about my foster father. I think he is becoming depressed. He hardly ever eats, he has nightmares, he never smiles, and all he does is sit and look at pictures of my foster mom. I wish you were here to talk me through this. You would know exactly what to say.
I miss Sweden. I miss Adam, King's Valley, Elsa Osslon, and you. I have only known these things for a short time, but somehow, I feel that I have known them forever.
How are you? How is Helen? How is my family? What is going on at court? Tell me everything!
Please write to me, when you get the chance.
Anastasia


To Anastasia Fleming,
I am so glad that you wrote to me.
I am sorry that you are having a hard time over there. I wish I could make it better. But unfortunately I cannot sail, fly or teleport. I am working on it, but have made little progress.
Try to go on long walks with your father, and show him the world. Don't take away anything of your mother's, but take him away from them slowly.
Sweden is not the same without you. I miss you so much!
I am fine, as is Helen. Your family is, as I am sure you know, put out that you left. But they are all well. The court is the same as ever. The same gossip, rumors, possible wars, and scandals.
How are you?
Please write to me soon!!
Eric



To Prince Eric,
You wrote back! I admit I was worried that you would forget about me.
You need to work on teleporting!! Try harder!
I have tried your advice about my foster father, and it is working. He is much more talkative, is eating more, and sleeps better at night.
I am glad you are all alright. I miss you all so much! I wish I was there!
I now have no place to belong. When I am in America all I think about is Sweden, but when I am in Sweden all I think about is America. I am lost, Eric. I am so alone here. I thought that I put a life on hold, but I realized that it didn't hold. I gave up a life I loved, and gained a life I loved. But now I have neither. I don't know what to do.
I miss you so much!
Your Friend,
Anastasia


To Anastasia Fleming,
I would never ever forget about you! Don't even consider that I would!
The teleporting is coming along. I can now jump six inches. We are making so much progress.
I am glad your father is doing better.
I wish you were here. So much has happened since I last wrote to you.
You are wanted here, don't forget that. If you ever need me, just let me know.
Please keep me updated on what is going on in your life. I want to still be a part of you life, even if I am far away.
Helen misses you and talks about you often.
I miss you!
Your friend,
Eric
P.S. Don't call me Prince Eric.


To Prince Eric,
I am going to call you Prince Eric. Deal with it!
Six inches is an improvement, but the ocean is slightly bigger than that.
I miss you. There are so many things here that remind me of you.
What is going on?
Tell Helen, I miss her too!
I wish to be able to tell you about my life, but I have nothing to report.
Your Friend,
Anna



To Anna Fleming,
I am sorry I haven't written sooner, but the palace was been uproar.
The Finnish government has been sending their troops to the boarder, and threatening us.
I wish you are here to help me. I miss you so much!
Please write to me often, even if I don't always wrote back quickly.
I am sorry this is so short, but I don't have much time. Please forgive me.
Your poor excuse for a friend,
Eric


To Prince Eric,
I am sorry, that Finland is acting this way.
It sounds like I am talking about squabbling children, not a possible war. I have never had a conversation like this.
I wish I could help you! Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
You are really good friend!
I miss you so much!
Your Friend,
Anna

To Anna Fleming,
You are right, counties are like squabbling children. We fight over who has too much, and think that we deserve more than they do.
You have told me about yourself in a while. How are you?
I have to go again, so this will be another short note.
I am sorry!
Your pathetic Friend,
Eric


To Prince Eric,
My foster father died yesterday.
I took him to the hospital at four o'clock, because he was in pain. The doctor told me that he was dying. He died at ten p.m. that night.
I am all alone, now. What do I do?
I will have to take care of his house and settle everything, but then I don't know what I will do.
Your Friend,
Anna


To Anna Fleming,
I am sorry. You have had to deal with too much lately.
You could come back to Sweden. I know it's a selfish idea, but you have family here. Please consider it.
I know this is awful for you, but think about your foster father. His now at peace with your foster mother. I think, from what you have told me of him, that this is what he wanted.
I have to go again, but write to me with anything and everything.
Your loyal Friend,
Eric

Anastasia wrote to Eric often, and he would always respond even if it was just a short letter.
Anastasia looked down at her foster parents' graves placed side by side.
"I am sorry. This is all my fault, if I didn't leave you wouldn't have come to see me. Then you would be alive, and neither would he.", she said, to her mother's grave.
Anna decided to leave not only her parents' graves, but her country as well. She would go back to Sweden. There is nothing for her in America now.
The next couple of months were lost in confusion. Anna sold her foster parents' house, and all the belongings she did not or could not keep. She had decided not to tell her family, or Eric, that she was coming back.
She boarded her plane, and in a few minutes of chaos, she found her seat on the plane.
She slept most of the way there, but a few miles away from the coast she woke up. She adjusted herself and all her belongings, which took awhile, because she was trying not to wake anybody up. By the time she was completely settled Sweden, was in view.
Anna looked at the country that has caused her so much joy and pain. It didn't not feel like she was coming home, but more like she was visiting a familiar place.
The plane landed, and her thoughts were interrupted by the sudden madness landing causes.
When she next could think straight, she was in a taxi heading to her family's house. She knew that her family would be in court, but she was glad that she would have awhile.
The taxi began to drive up to the house. Anastasia paid the man and rang the door bell. The butler appeared at the door.
"How may I help you?", he asked.
"I am Anastasia Fleming. My family doesn't know I am coming, but I was wondering if I might see them, when they return.", Anna said.
"Return? The Fleming family is here, Miss. Shall ask if they will see you?", he asked.
"Yes, please.", she said.
She was surprised that they would be home, but the sooner she got this first meeting over with the better.
In a few minutes the door was opened by Adam.
"Anna!", he said, with relief. He crushed her in a hug, and then pulled her inside.
"Is it okay that I am here?", Anna asked, as she took off her coat.
"Yes! I have missed you. The whole family has missed you! No one will be mad at you, but Aunt Pertons and she is always mad at somebody for something.", he said, excitedly.
He hurried me down the hall to where the rest of the family was sitting.
"Anastasia?", her mother asked, sitting straighter.
The next few minutes consisted of hellos, hugs, tears, and stern reproaches.
They welcomed her back warmly, and would not let her out of their sight for hours. Eventually, Anna went to unpack, with Adam to help her.
"Did you tell Prince Eric you were coming back?", Adam asked, once they were alone.
"No, I didn't. I didn't tell anyone.", Anna said, going to sit on the bed with Adam.
"You should go see him. I know I told you to distance yourself from him. But he could use some cheering up.", he said.
"I want to see him, but I don't know if I am allowed to leave.", Anna said.
"I will handle Mom and Dad.", Adam said.
"I don't even know where to find him.", Anna said. She had waited for so long to see Eric, but now that she could, it scared her.
"He is probably in King's Valley. He goes there almost every night.", Adam said, closing of that escape.
Anna got ready to go, and left the house. She walked towards King's Valley, determined that if he wasn't there she would turn back.
She went to the lake, and stopped by the ring of trees. There stood Eric.
"Eric.", Anna said, all her fears melting away.
He turned and their eyes met. Anna began to walk towards him, as fast as she could without running, and he did the same. He caught her up in his arms, and held her close to him. She buried her face in his shoulder, and clung to him, as though she would never let him go.
"Anastasia. Anastasia, are you really here?", he murmured, in her ear.
"Yes, Eric. It's me, I have come back.", she whispered.
"Promise me you won't leave again!", he replied in a hushed tone, holding her tighter.
"I have missed you, Eric.", she said, avoiding answering his demand.
"I missed you too! Are you going to stay here?", he asked her, holding her so that he could see her face, but still hold her.
"Yes, for now. I am planning on living in Sweden.", she said, looking into his blue eyes.
"I am dreaming. But before I wake up, tell me everything.", be said, gazing at her like he would never see enough of her.
They sat and talked for hours. They talked about anything and everything. The talked about what had happened since they last saw each other, and simply were together.
"What time is it?", Anna asked Eric, during one of the few lulls in conversation.
"Eleven p.m.", he said, looking at his watch.
"I have to go! My family will worry.", she said, standing up.
"No! You cannot go, not again!", he exclaimed.
"Eric, I have to go. I will see you tomorrow at court.", she said, softly.
He pulled her into his arms, and held her.
"Good night, Eric.", she said, and left the valley.
She hurried home, and after brief explanations, went to bed.

She was back. At first he couldn't believe it, even now it was hard to believe. He wanted to, but it was too close to what he had been hoping for to trust.
To say that Eric was elated, would be an understatement. He felt completed again. His confusing, chaotic life mad some sense again. When she left, his whole world turned upside down. For some reason, he was drawn to her.
He walked to Helen's room, and knelt by her bed.
She was still asleep, curled up like a cat, on the bed.
Eric brushed the curls that had fallen over her face.
"Helen, wake up. I have a surprise for you.", he said, softly.
"What is it, Eric?", she asked, opening her eyes, and yawning.
"Guess!", Eric said, more excited than she was.
"Eric! That's not fair!" she complained.
"Alright, I will just tell you. Anna has come back to Sweden!", he said, eagerly waiting for her reaction.
Helen squealed and began bouncing up and down on the bed.
"I will go now, so you can get dressed. Anna will be here today.", Eric said, leaving her room.
Eric returned to his room, and fought the urge to jump on his bed, just like Helen. He grinned like a little kid, and could not stop. He somehow managed to wait, until Anna arrived at court.
He stood, leaning against a doorway, leading into the main hall, where the court gathers. He watched her arrive, and go say hello in a woman, around Anna's age. Helen came running up to her, and Anna gave her a big hug. They talked for a little bit, and then Anna got up and left Helen. Eric tried to keep Anna in his sight, but she disappeared into the crowd. He scanned the crowd, again and again, searching for her.
"Stalker.", a familiar voice, whispered in his ear.
Eric whirled around, and almost knocked Anna over. He reached out and caught her.
"Anna, you startled me.", he said.
"Well, then I must be very talented to avoid such a good stalker.", Anna teased.
"I wasn't stalking you. I was waiting for a chance to say hello.", he protested.
"Uh-huh. What ever you say, stalker.", she said.
"It's the truth!", he argued.
"You are a horrible liar.", she said, smiling.
Eric grinned at her, causing her smile to grow.
"Come with me.", Eric said, suddenly.
"Why?", Anna asked, not giving an answer.
"Because you have been gone for months, I missed you, I don't have court today, and I want to spend time with you.", he said, smiling.
"Why don't you have Parliament?", she asked, confused.
"Every so often my parents say I can take a break from Parliament, and I decided that today would be a good day for a break.", he said.
"Then, I will go, but I have to be back by four thirty.", she said.
He smiled at her, and then lead her through the winding halls of the palace, with determination. Anna had no idea where they were, but Eric looked like he knew where he was going, so she didn't say anything.
Eric paused at a door at the end of a hall, and pulled out a key.
"What is behind this door?", Anna asked him.
"A surprise.", Eric said, smiling as he unlocked the door.
He opened the door, and stood back to let her in first.
"Oh, my goodness!", she gasped, when she saw what was inside.
It was a giant greenhouse. It was teeming with plants of all kinds. There were flowers, trees, bushes, and plants Anna didn't even know. The room was designed to look like a garden. The floor was dirt, but had a cobblestone path. The plants were arranged to look like they would outside. There were benches placed throughout the room for people to sit on. The room was breathtakingly beautiful.
"Do you like it?", Eric asked, standing behind her.
"Are you kidding? This is amazing, Eric!", she squealed, turning around, and hugging him.
Eric held her for a moment, but then let her go. She started walking away from him, going deeper into the room.
"Aren't you coming?", she asked, turning around.
He smiled and nodded. He caught up with her, and they walked around the garden together.
"I have missed you, Anna.", Eric said, as they walked along the path.
"I missed you too.", she said, after a short pause she continued."What did you miss about me?"
"I missed your smile. I missed watching you skate. I missed watching you brighten up other people's lives. I missed knowing you were near by. I missed hearing your laugh. I missed the way you would brighten up my day, when I didn't want you to. I missed the person you make me be. I missed everything that you did, or said. I missed you. I missed the great, the beautiful, the wonderful, the kind, the loving, the caring, the gentle you.", he said.
Eric stopped realizing what he said. He said everything so far, without thinking. He spoke what was in his heart. He spoke the truth, but now he would find out what she thought of the truth.
Anna was silent, which greatly worried Eric.
There was a clock in the room, that began to chime.
"It's four thirty. I have to go.", Anna said, softly.
She left the room, and the door shut behind her.

The author's comments:
Please let me know what you think.

Anna hurried back to her family, and they left the palace.
As soon as they were home, Anna went to her room and shut the door. She paced her room, and her thoughts circled through her head again, and again.
Eric's words were kind. Maybe they were too kind. Is there such a thing as too kind? I am over thinking this. But what if I am not? What if Eric likes me as more than a friend? Than everything becomes ten times more complicated. I don't know if I like him in that way or not. Brigitta likes him. But he doesn't seem to like Brigitta. I am simply reading too much into this. But what if.....
All these thoughts pounded at a rapid rate though her head, only to come back again.
Anna stopped pacing, and sat down on the bed. She tried to sit still, and tried to read. But she couldn't, she got up and began to pace again.
Someone knocked on her door.
Anna opened the door, and found that it was Adam.
"Come in, Adam.", she said, and after he walked in, she shut the door.
"I have some news.", Adam said, slowly.
"Okay.", Anna said.
"I don't really want to say it. But you need to hear it, and no one else will tell you. Do you remember all the trouble with Finland?", Adam asked.
"Yes, I do.", Anna said, becoming worried.
"Well, the government has just decided to let the princess come here to Sweden. Although, this sounds like a little thing, it means that Prince Eric will, most likely, have to marry her.", Adam said.
"Oh, dear. When did this happen?", Anna asked, worried.
"Parliament decided today.", Adam said.
"When will she be here?", Anna asked.
"Princess Venla will be here in a week."
They both went down to the sitting room, where the rest of the family, including Aunt Pertons sat.
A servant entered the room a few minutes after they did.
"There is a note for Miss Fleming, from the palace.", the servant girl said.
Brigitta stood up, and eagerly reached for the letter. But the girl shook her head.
"Not you, Miss. It is for Miss Anastasia Fleming.", the servant said.
Brigitta face flushed, and she sat down silently. The servant handed Anna the note and left.
"Who is it from, Anna?", her father asked.
"It is from the prince.", Anna replied, looking at Brigitta.
Brigitta did not look up, but blushed profusely.
"Well, Anna has not been here long, and already she is attracting royal attention.", Aunt Pertons said, loudly.
Anna gently excused herself to go read her note. She went to her room and opened the note.
It said:
Dear Anna,
I am sorry if this note causes any problems.
I have to talk with you. Will you please meet me in King's Valley?
I hope to see you there.
Your affectionate friend,
Eric

Anna went back down to her family.
"What was the note about?", her mother asked, as soon as Anna opened the door.
"Te note was to simply say welcome back. Actually, I came here to ask you if I may take a walk.", Anna said.
She knew she was lying, and she hated to have to. But she couldn't say the truth, with Brigitta sitting right there.
"Of course, Anna. But I wish that you wouldn't take a long walk. It's almost ten o'clock.", her father said, absently.
"Yes, Father.", she said, and left the room.
She got ready, and left the house. She arrived shortly at King's Valley. She had walked that path so many times that it was very familiar.
Eric was not there yet, so Anna went down to the lake. She stood there, and thought about what Eric had said to her earlier that day. It seemed like ages ago. Just a few words had changed her opinion about the matter, and now she was positive he was simply being the kind, sweet person he is.
She heard footsteps, and turned around to see Eric walking towards her.
"Anna, have you heard the news?", Eric asked, obviously greatly upset.
"Maybe. Of you tell me what news you are talking about, I will be able to tell you if I have heard it or not.", Anna said, delaying the inevitable conversation.
"The news that Princess Venla is coming.", Eric said, bitterly.
"Yes. Unfortunately, I have heard that news.", Anna sighed.
"I cannot believe that they could decide this without me! How could they find it in their hearts to do this to a fellow human being? They know I do not love her! How could I? I barely know her!", Eric ranted, violently pacing by the lake.
"Eric, maybe you will learn to love her. You said that you barely know her. If you get to know her, perhaps you will love her.", Anna suggested, quietly.
"It is a good idea. But it will not work for me. I am in love. I didn't know it until today, but now it is apparent in everything. My heart belongs to someone. It is no longer mine to give to anyone. It is her's now.", Eric said, calming down, and smiling a little.
"The one you love is very fortunate.", Anna said, softly.
"There is, but one problem with it.", Eric said.
"What is that?"
"I do not know how she feels.", Eric said, looking at Anna, intently.
"Does she know that you love her?", Anna asked, unable to look at Eric.
"Anastasia, who do you think I love?", Eric asked, coming closer to her.
"I don't know. You haven't told me, who it is, and I will not ask.", Anna said, keeping her focused on the ground at her feet.
"Anastasia, you must know, who I speak of.", he said, softly.
He cupped her chin with his hand, and gently raised her face.
"I love you, Anastasia. I have loved you from the moment I first saw you. I did not realize it, until you left me today. I grew so worried that you would leave Sweden again. I knew that I could not bear to be separated from you, again. I realized that I love you. Oh, Anastasia! I love you more than anything in this world.
Something in your eyes makes me want to lose myself, makes me wan to find myself. Something in your touch makes me finally come to life after so many years in the dark. Something in your voice makes all of my troubles fade, tells me that I am good enough and I can finally rest.
I love you. I cannot say it in any other way, than I love you, fully and completely. I am in love with you, Anastasia. I am madly, foolishly, completely, deeply, passionately, and wonderfully in love with you.", he said, softly.
Anna tried to remember how to breathe, and think, but she couldn't.
"My darling, Anastasia. Please say something.", Eric said, nervously.
He looked deep into her eyes, and she felt that he could see into her very soul. But she wasn't frightened. She knew that he would take care of her. She knew this because she loved him. She loved him more than anyone else, in the world.
"Are you speaking the truth?", she asked him, looking him in the eye.
"Yes.", he said, returning her gaze.
She looked down, and tried to calm herself.
His eyes had so much love in them, and she could not return his love. She knew what she had to do, but it was going to rip her heart out.
She began to cry, and Eric pulled her close to him. She cried into his shoulder.
"Anastasia, what is the matter? If I have done anything wrong, please tell me.", he said, softly.
"No, you haven't done anything wrong. The problem is me.", she said, trying to stop her tears.
"Oh, Darling. What do you mean?", he said, wiping away her tears.
"Eric, I cannot return your love. There are obstacles between us, that prevent me from returning your affections. I am sorry, but this has to be.", she said, trying to regain some composure.
"Anna, please tell me what they are. I will remove them, if I can. And if I cannot remove them, then we will remove them together.", he said.
"Eric, I can not tell you.", Anastasia said, looking down.
"Why not? Anastasia, please let me help.", he pleaded.
"I can't tell you. Please, don't ask me again.", she said, crying softly.
"I will not ask you again. But will you please answer my question?", he asked her.
"Yes, if I can.", she said, hearing the pain in his voice.
"Is there anyway that you could ever love me?", he asked.
"I love you, now. But I cannot love you.", she said, gently.
Eric was so overcome with emotion, that he could not speak for a moment.
"I said I will not ask that question again. But I cannot help it. Anastasia, if you love me then why can't we be together?", he asked.
"Eric, I love you so much it hurts. But please believe me, there is no way that we can be together, at least right now.", Anna said.
"I trust you. But I want you to know, that I love you, and will love you from this day forward and ever after.", he said, softly.
He turned and walked back to the palace.
"I love you.", Anna whispered, and then she too walked away.

Every step Eric took, walking away from Anna, was a wrench to his heart.
He made it back to the palace, with his body in one piece, but his heart was shattered.
He went to his room, without talking to anybody, and got ready for bed, automatically. He laid down in his bed, and closed his eyes.
He saw Anastasia, heard her laugh, and saw smile at him. He opened his eyes, and once more was in his room. He heard her say I love you. It sounded so real, that he looked for her, even though he knew she wasn't there.
Would he ever get peace. All day he had been tormented by his love for Anastasia, and now that he had finally told her, he received no rest. If anything it was worse now, than it was before he told her. Now, he knew her answer.
He didn't know if he should believe that she loves him. Was she just saying that to make him stop? But Anna would never do that. Would she? He wanted to believe it so badly, but if he was wrong.... He didn't want false hope. But what if it wasn't false? She said she loved him, and he had never heard her lie before. But what could be between them? True, Princess Venla was between them, but he could handle her. Maybe if he got rid of Princess Venla, she would be with him. But Anna would hate him for such a move, and not to mention, the war with Finland. What was he to do? He couldn't get rid of the only obstacle he knew of, he couldn't forget her, he couldn't be with her,and he couldn't stand being without her.
Eric did not sleep that night. Every time he closed his eyes he saw her, which tormented him, because he could not be with her.
He got up the next morning, and got ready for court and Parliament.
That day he and his parents were supposed to meet with the court, instead of Parliament.
He went downstairs to the main hall, where the court was to assemble. His parents and Helen were where they were supposed to be, on the raised platform, for the royal family. He joined them, and his parents motioned for the doors to be opened, and the court to enter.
Duke Fleming and his family were the first people through the door. Anastasia was there, and when he saw her, Eric thought that she seemed tense.
The family approached the platform, and bowed or curtsied as needed, to the royal family.
"Duke Fleming, I trust your family is well.", the king said, loudly.
The king never did anything quietly. He thought the quietness was both irritating and cowardly.
"Very well, Your Highness. I hope that your family is in good health.", Duke Fleming replied.
"Yes, yes. They are all fine.", the king said.
"Anna, will you play with me today?", Helen asked, now that the grown ups' conversation was paused.
"Of course, Princess Helen. If you wish me too.", Anastasia said, kindly.
"Eric, will you play too?", Helen asked Eric.
"Of course, he will.", the queen said, trying to save Eric from the day of court.
Eric nodded, because now it would be impossible for him to refuse.
Helen bounced away, leading them both behind her.
"Can we play outside?", Helen asked.
"Yes, we can. Go put on your coat.", Eric said, and Helen ran to get her coat.
"Eric, I think we should behave normally. To each other we can acknowledged what happened, but it is not fair to anyone to avoid each other.", Anna said, quickly.
"I agree, with you. Anna, I must ask you. Do you really love me?", he asked, trying to hide his emotions.
"Yes, I do love you. I love you very very much." Anna said, immediately.
Eric pulled her into his arms and held her.
"I love you, Anastasia.", Eric murmured, into her long blonde hair.
"Eric, you know we still cannot be together.", Anna said, reluctantly.
"Yes, I do. I don't know how to fix that, but I am trying.", Eric said.
They stopped talking, because Helen came back. But they both knew the conversations wasn't over yet.

Anna, Eric, and Helen went on a walk, around the woods surrounding the palace.
"Look at this!", Helen cried, pointing to a baby fox, a kit.
"It looks like it stepped on a thorn.", Eric said, kneeling down by it.
"Eric, can we help it?", Helen asked, anxiously.
"My foster mom was a veterinarian, and she taught me how to handle something like this.", Anna said to Helen.
Anna looked around the woods, and then knelt by the baby fox.
"It's mother seems to have left it.", Anna whispered to Eric.
"What do we do, Anna?", Eric asked her.
"We have to get the thorn out, and immediately bandage it up. We will have to take it back with us.", Anna said.
"Can we keep it?", Helen begged.
"We'll see about that later.", Anna said, gently.
Anna reached her hand towards the fox slowly, and eventually picked him up. She carried him back with them.
They went to the palace, and there went to Helen's room.
"Helen, I need a bowl of water for him. Can you get that for me please?", Anna asked, once they were in Helen's room.
Helen went to get the water right away.
"Why did you send her for that?", Eric asked, Anna.
"I didn't want her to be here, when I pull the thorn out.", Anna said, and pulled the thorn out, gently.
The fox whimpered a little, and then quieted down. She bandaged the paw up, and then set the fox down on a pillow.
"Good job.", Eric said.
"Thanks.", Anna said, smiling.
Helen came back, and read to the fox for the rest of the morning.
The clock on the room chimed noon.
"I have to go, now. My family wants me home sooner than normal.", Anna said, standing up to go.
"I will go with you.", Eric said, following her.
They began to walk back to the main hall together.
"Why does your family want you back early?" Eric asked.
"They want Brigitta to start teaching me court manners, in the afternoons.", Anna said.
"Ahh, you are too rude for them?", Eric teased.
"Ha, ha, ha. You are so funny.", she said, with a straight face.
"Tell me something I don't know!", Eric said.
"You are an egotistical weirdo.", Anna teased.
"Hey!", Eric said, trying to look hurt.
Anna smiled at him, and kept walking.
"Anna, I have to be with Princess Venla very often, and it may seem that I enjoy being with her. But I want you to know that I love you, and only you.", Eric said, walking beside her.
"I know how it will look, Eric. Thank you for thinking about it from my perspective. But please, remember you might love her.", Anna said, kindly.
"I don't want to argue with you, but I don't think that I could love her in that way.", he said, with an emotion she couldn't identify.
"Will you please keep an open mind about this?", she asked him.
"I cannot tell you no. Alright, I will try to keep an open mind, but I don't think it will work.", he said, with a sigh.
"Thank you, Eric. I have to go, now. But I will see you later.", she said, and left.
Brigitta was waiting for her in the carriage.
"There you are! I have been waiting for you.", Brigitta exclaimed, when Anna got into the carriage.
I am sorry, Brigitta. I tried to hurry back.", Anna said, sincerely.
"Well, it doesn't matter now. I guess it is just your first lesson.", Brigitta said, calming down.
Once they got home, Brigitta lead the way to her room, where they were going to have there first lessons.
Brigitta tried to teach Anna about ranks, but they kept getting off topic.
"Oh, Anna. Mom and Dad are going to be so mad that we haven't done more than we have.", Brigitta said, laughing.
"Well, I learned that Lady Rushworth is a pig.", Anna offered.
"Don't forget that Lord Rushworth is a bore." Brigitta said, and they both collapsed in a fit of laughter.
"I am glad you are my teacher.", Anna said, once they calmed down.
"Me too. I have to admit I didn't want to at first, but this is a lot of fun.", Brigitta said.
Adam opened the door.
"Adam, you need to learn to knock.", Brigitta commented.
"Whatever. How's the lessons coming?", Adam asked.
"Very well. Why did you come in?", Brigitta said.
"Because I have valuable news that you want to hear. But if you are going to be too grand for me to talk to I will have to take my news else where.", he teased.
"Please tell us, Adam.", Anna asked.
"I will tell you, Anna. There is going to be a series of balls to welcome the Finnish princess. All of the court is invited, and the princess is bringing her brother, heir to the throne of Finland, to Sweden with her.", Adam said, with satisfaction at their responses.
"Anna, this will be your first royal ball! We will have to have new dresses, and accessories!", Brigitta squealed.
The rest of the day was spent in anticipation of the balls.
Anna went to bed with her head swimming with ranks, noblemen, pigs, dresses, and Eric.

Eric paced his room, and tried to focus on calming down.
Princess Venla arrived that day, and he was supposed to welcome her. He dreaded this day ever since he found out that she was coming. How could he possibly pretend to like her, when his heart belonged to Anastasia?
Anastasia. He loved her so much, but he could not even ask her to marry him. He had hated being a prince before, and had come to terms with it, but now he felt trapped, stifled, and that he was dying without her. He wanted to be with her, at that moment. She would give him the courage to live for the next few hours.
He closed his eyes, and pictured her in his mind. He saw her hair, her eyes, her smile, and heard her laugh.
His heart began to ache, and he opened his eyes.
He had to try to stop loving Anna, but he didn't want to stop. His love for her hurt, but it made him a better person, and brightened up his life. He couldn't give her up for anything in the world.
He glanced at the clock on the wall. It was ten o'clock, He had to go down to the main hall now, to be there when the princess arrived. He walked downstairs, and stepped into the great hall. It was strangely empty, but he knew why. His parents arranged it, so that he would be alone with Princess Venla, when she arrived. Then they would walk into the throne room together, and she would have a throne next to his. The nobility would be in the throne room. Anastasia would be in the throne room. She would have to watch him lead another woman into the room, and sit next to him. He was sure that she didn't love him as much as he loves her, but she said that she loves him.
The doors to the great hall opened, and a servant walked in.
"Your Higness, Princess Venla has arrived.", he said, bowing.
Behind the servant, Eric could see the train of the princess coming in the palace. They would soon enter the hall, he was in.
Suddenly, Eric tensed up. He was overloaded with dread, reluctance, and fear. He couldn't do this. He couldn't pretend any more. He could not keep playing this game.
The servant, who announced the princess's arrival entered the throne room to repeat the message to the queen and king. While the door was open, Eric caught a glimpse of Anna's bright blue eyes, framed by her blonde hair, and he found the courage to face this challenge.
Princess Venla stepped into the main hall, and walked up to Eric.
She had short brown hair, brown eyes, and a childish look about her.
"Hello, Prince Eric.", she said, seriously. The childishness was in looks only.
"Hello, Princess Venla. Welcome to Sweden. I hope you will be happy here.", Eric said, making an effort to be kind.
"I am sure I will be happy.this is my brother, Henry.",, she said, smiling a little.
"It is nice to meet you, Henry.If you will follow me, I will escort you into the throne room to meet my parents.", Eric said, offering her his arm.
She placed her hand on his arm, and they walked together into the throne room, followed by her brother and her ladies in waiting. All the nobility were watching them, but Eric wasn't paying any attention to them. He caught Anastasia's eye, and kept his focus on her, until they reached the thrones.
They made the usual introductions and greetings were exchanged and they all sat down on the thrones.
Eric searched for Anastasia, as the nobility all began to form a line to greet the princess, they thought would be their queen someday.
He found Anna with her family, in the middle of the line. He was pleased to see that she seemed happy, and he check on her, whenever he could. Eventually, they made it to the front of the line.
They all bowed to the royalty, and greeted the visiting prince and princess.
"Anastasia was raised in America, and has only recently returned to Sweden. Helen adores her, and I think she is a sweet girl.", the queen, said to Princess Venla.
"I hope that we can be friends, Anastasia.", Princess Venla said, warmly.
"I hope so too, Your Higness.", Anna said, kindly.
Eric noticed she was surprised at the attention she was receiving.
"Anna, will you play with me today?", Helen asked.
"If you wish, Princess Helen. Perhaps Princess Venla would like to play as well.", Anna suggested, seeing the princess's face.
"I would like that very much! We will have such fun!", Princess Venla exclaimed.
Eric was surprised how good Anna recognized Princess Venla's desire, and was able to help her without overstepping political boundaries.
The girls so left the throne room to go play, but before they left the made Eric promise to join them later.
He promised, and looked forward to seeing what happens next.

Helen skipped down the hall, chattering about this and that, every once in a while, looking back to make sure that Anna and Princess Venla were following her.
Anna and Princess Venla walked along behind her, listening to her chatter.
"Brother has been sleeping all day, but he should be wake by now.", Helen said.
"Who is Brother? Is it Prince Eric?", Princess Venla asked, curiously.
"No, Your Highness. Brother is a fox kit that Princess Helen and Prince Eric rescued. It has injured paw, and they are looking after it. Princess Helen named it Brother after her brother, Prince Eric.", Anna explained.
"Oh, I see. That is very unusual, but I like it.", Venla said, smiling.
Anna smiled back, and they walked in silence for a minute, and Helen ran ahead of them to see if Brother was awake.
"Do you often spend time with the royal family?", Princess Venla asked.
"I spend time with Princess Helen, when I can. I think she gets lonely, when Prince Eric is busy. As for Prince Eric, I think we are friends. I don't know the King Hubert and Queen Elsie very well, but they seem like good rulers.", Anna said, carefully.
"What is Prince Eric like? It is a silly question, but I am going to marry him, at least that is what my parents say, and I don't even know him.", Princess Venla said.
"It is not a silly question. It is perfectly reasonable, that you would ask. Although, I am not the best person to ask. I think he is kind, considerate, smart, talented, and I think he will be a great king some day.", Anna said, truthfully.
"Anastasia, I am glad I asked you. You seem like a good person, and completely different than any one else I have met. Lets be friends. You may call me Venla.", Princess Venla said, smiling.
"Then, you must call me Anna.", she said, smiling.
They talked a little bit more and continued walking to Helen's room.
Once they got to Helen's room, they played with Brother, talked, and laughed.
Eric poked his head in the room.
"Can I come in, or will I regret it?", Eric asked.
"Eric, come in!", Helen said, pulling him in the room.
"Prince Eric, it is completely selfish of you to keep such a darling little girl all to yourself.", Venla said, playfully.
"What do you mean?", Eric asked, confused.
"Helen has told me that she has never had a parade or dinner in her honor.", Venla said, in mock horror.
"She is six years old.", Eric protested.
"Don't be selfish.", Venla chided.
"I am not! Anna, help me.", Eric said, playfully.
"I am going to stay out of this one. You can work it out on your own, or ask Helen if she even wants something in her honor.", Anna said, trying to control her emotions.
They discussed it with Helen, and they decided that they should have a picnic in her honor. Anna tried to talk to them and be cheerful, but something was wrong she could feel it. She noticed Eric looking at her worriedly form time to time, and she tried to reassure him, by smiling, but she couldn't smile.
"Will you please excuse Anna and I? I have to talk to her about business, and it can't wait any longer.", Eric said, after seeing that Anna wasn't getting any better.
"Of course, you are excused, but hurry back.", Venla said, cheerfully.
Eric lead Anna out of the room, and into the near by sitting room, where they had talked before her foster mother had died.
"Anna, what is the matter?", Eric asked her, concernedly.
"I don't know. I am sorry. I know I have been ruining the day, and I am trying to cheer up.", Anna said, trying to hold herself together.
Eric walked over to her, and pulled her into his arms. She fell apart in his arms, and began to weep. She simply cried about everything, her foster parents deaths, Eric's love for her, the fact that she couldn't love him in return, and her belief that she was ruining everyone's lives.
"Anna, wonderful Anastasia. You haven't ruined anything. You have helped everyone today. You helped Princess Venla feel more at home here, you helped Helen feel wanted, and you helped me be able to live today. Without you encouraging and supporting me, I wouldn't be able to stand Venla. You are stunning, and you are wanted. Never forget that.", Eric murmured in her ear, as he held her.
She cried into his shoulder, and let him hold her. After she stopped crying, she reluctantly stepped out of Eric's sheltering arms.
"Are you alright?", Eric asked her.
"Yes, I am, now. Thank you.", she said.
"It breaks my heart to see you cry.", Eric said, gently.
"I am sorry.", Anna said. She was unused to words of affection, and didn't know how to handle it.
"I would say it is not your fault, but it is. You stole my heart, and now it is yours to break if you wish.", Eric said, smiling.
"I don't want to break it. You should take it back, Eric. I can't take care of it, as it deserves.", Anna said.
"It has always been yours, and always will be. But you are right, you can't take care of it the way it deserves. You take better care of it, than it could ever deserve.", Eric said, pulling her close once more.
They held each other for a few moments, and then they went back to Helen's room. They joined Venla and Helen for a walk, and then they all went back to their respective families to get ready for the first ball, which was that night.

Anna's family went home to get ready for the ball.
There was a knock on her door.
"Come in.", Anna called, trying to figure out what she should wear.
Her mother opened the door, carrying a box. Her mother sat down on the bed, and sat the box down next to her.
"Anastasia, come here.", she said, patting the bed.
Anna walked over, and sat down.
"What is it, Mother?", she asked.
"This is your first royal ball, and I got you a dress. If you don't like it that is alright, but I want to help you get ready.", her mother said, handing Anna the box.
Anna opened it and inside was the most beautiful, dark blue, ball gown. It was stunning, and Anna loved it.
"It's so beautiful. Thank you!", she said, hugging her mother.
"I am glad you like it. Come let's try it on.", her mother suggested.
They spent the next hour getting ready for the ball, and for the first time since her foster mom died, Anna felt that she had a mom again. Went downstairs together to find the rest of the family gathered in the front hall.
Brigitta was wearing a bright pink dress, which looked great with her brown hair and eyes.
Adam was wearing a tuxedo, complete with vest and bow tie.
Her father was wearing a similar suit, to Adam's.
Her mother was wearing red ball gown, that matched her husband's vest.
"I pity the young men at the ball tonight. Their hearts will be broken, by my lovely daughters.", Duke Fleming said, proudly.
"Yes, we are fortunate to have such wonderful children.", the duchess said, to include Adam in the praise.
"Shall we go?", Adam suggested.
They agreed and soon were on their way to the ball.
"Now, girls behave yourselves. Have some fun, but do not embarrass yourself or your family.", her father said.
"We will, Father.", they said, in unison.
The car was mostly silent on the way there, but once they were in view of the castle, the conversation picked up, a bit.
"Adam, behave yourself. Girls, try not to break any hearts just yet.", their father said.
The car pulled up to the the front of the castle, and they all stepped out.
The duchess pulled Brigitta aside.
"Brigitta, I want you to help Anastasia. This is her first ball, and she will need some guidance. Will you please help her, when I cannot?", her mother asked.
"Yes, mother.", Brigitta said.
They joined the rest of the family, and went into the ball room.
The room was full of nobility, milling, and servants rushing about.
The ball room was beautiful, and elegant.
They family separated in the crowd, but Anastasia and Brigitta stayed together.
A man walked towards them, that Anna didn't recognize.
"Brigitta, who is that man, walking towards us?", Anna whispered.
"Oh, dear. That is Count Berg.", Brigitta said.
Anna remembered him now, she was talking to him, when she first met Elsa. Anna hadn't seen Elsa in awhile. She hadn't been at court.
"Good evening, ladies.", Count Berg said, coming to stand by them.
"Good evening, Count Berg.", Anna said, respectfully.
"I hope that we will have a chance to get better acquainted, Miss Fleming.", Count Berg said, to Anna.
Anna smiled politely, wishing she was anywhere, but next to him.
"Anastasia, Brigitta! You are just who I was looking for! Please come with me. You will have to excuse them, Count Berg.", Prince Eric said, coming up behind them.
Count Berg bowed, and walked away, sullenly.
"Come with me, please.", Eric said, smiling.
"Thank you, for saving us.", Anna said, gratefully.
"You mean that you don't like Count Berg?", Eric teased her,
"You are impossible. Do you know that?", Anna said, smiling.
"Yes, and I am quite proud of it.", Eric said, grinning.
"Where are you taking us?", Anna asked.
"I don't know. I didn't think that far ahead.", Eric confessed.
They weaves their way though the crowd for awhile, until they reached a wall, where the stopped to talk.
"How are you, Brigitta Fleming?", Eric asked, politely.
"Very well, thank you. How are you?", she said, obviously pleased that he was talking to her.
"I am fine.", Eric said.
"How is Princess Helen?", Anastasia asked Eric.
"She is fine, although a bit upset she couldn't come tonight.", Eric told her.
"Where is Princess Venla?", Anna asked.
"She is coming down soon. She wanted to make an entrance.", Eric said, upset that she would hold everything up.
They chatted stiffly for a few minutes, and then a servant approached Prince Eric, to announce that Princess Venla would be down in a few minutes.
"Alright, thank you.", Eric said, to the servant, who then left.
Anna could tell he was not exactly thrilled that Venla would be down soon. But he was trying to deal with this as best he could.
"Please excuse me, ladies. I have to go, now. Stay away from Count Berg, if you can.", he said, with a slight smile, at Anna.
He left, and joined his parents on a platform, where they were watching the dance.
"You seem to know Prince Eric well.", Brigitta commented.
"Brigitta, it is not like, we are a couple or anything like that. I know his little sister, and they are close to each other. That is all.", Anastasia said, trying to keep the family she was making for herself.
They had to stop talking then, as Princess Venla made her entrance to the room.
Princess Venla entered the main door, like everyone else, but she had the doors open before her. So that, when she entered everyone would pay attention.
She was wearing a green, shimmering dress, and looked very nice, in it.
She walked into the room, with her brother, Prince Henry, by her side. They went up to the raised platform, and there they sat down, with the royal family.
The nobility gathered to gossip, and the royalty watched them.
Anna looked up at the royalty, and found that many of them were looking at her. She grew self conscious, and blushed. She turned to Adam, who was standing near her.
"Adam, is there anything the matter with me?", she asked, quietly.
"No, you are look great, and your manners are wonderful.", he answered, confusedly."Why do you ask?"
"They royalty were looking at me,mans I didn't know why.", Anna explained, pointedly not looking at the platform.
"They are still looking. At least, Prince Eric, and Prince Henry are.", Adam said, looking for her.
"Why?", Anna asked, upset.
"Calm down, Anna. They are looking because you are stunningly beautiful tonight. You are the most beautiful woman here, and they know it. They are going to look all night. Hold your head high, and ignore them.", Adam said, smiling.
"Adam, I am not joking.", she said, not believing a word he said.
"Neither am I. Wait until the dancing starts then you will know what I mean.", Adam said, seriously.
They stopped talking the, because the dancing was about to start. Prince Eric lead Princess Venla out to the middle of the floor, and everyone began to look for partners.
Prince Henry stepped off the platform and walked over to Anastasia.
"May I have this dance, my lady?", he asked Anna.
"Yes, you may.", Anna said, to shocked to say anything else, like she can't dance to save her life.
Prince Henry lead her out onto the floor, next to Eric and Venla.
Eric looked at Anna, with an expression she couldn't read, right away. Then it hit her, Eric was jealous. But of what? Surely he wasn't jealous that Prince Henry was going to dance with her. But was he?
Her thoughts ended, abruptly, as the music started.
Prince Henry lead her through the dance, and Anna found it wasn't as hard as she had imagined.
"You dance beautifully.", he said to her, as they danced.
"Thank you. You are a wonderful partner.", Anna said, to return the compliment.
"What is your name?", Prince Henry asked, smiling at her.
"Anastasia Fleming, Your Highness.", she said, humbly.
"Anastasia is a beautiful name. But you mustn't call me, Your Highness, or anything like that. To you, I am Henry.", he said, kindly.
The dance ended, and Henry escorted her to one side of the room.
"That dance was too short.", he said.
"It was as long as most dances are.", Anna argued.
"But most dances, not have such a enchanting partner, to shorten the dance.", Henry said, so only she could hear.
Male attention had always frightened Anna, and now she had royal male attention. She really just want to run and hide, but that was out of the question.
She laughed, and tried to keep herself together.
"Will you dance with me again?", he asked, hopefully.
"Yes.", she said, and she realized that she wanted to.
They danced for hours, and got to know each other a bit. Eventually, Anna had to sit down, because she was wearing heels, so her feet hurt.
She looked for Eric, and found him, looking at her with a pained expression.
Brigitta came over to her.
"Anna, we have to go, now.", Brigitta said.
"No, you mustn't go. Not yet.", Henry said, urgently.
"I have to, besides its not like I will never see you again.", she pointed out, and left him, watching her leave.
Anastasia went home, and went straight to her room.

Adam knocked on her door, and walked in.
"Hey, Adam.", Anna said.
"Hey. Are you okay?", he asked.
"Yeah, I am fine. What's up?", she said, sitting on her bed.
"You got two notes, and I thought you should see them.", he said, handing her to envelopes.
She groaned and opened the one on top.
It said:
Anastasia,
I had a wonderful time tonight, and I look forward to seeing you tomorrow. Please don't forget me.
Sleep well tonight. Although, you don't need any beauty sleep!
Yours,
Henry

Anastasia crumpled the note up and threw it into her trash can. She opened the second note, hoping it was better than the first one.
It read:
Anna,
I am sorry this is so late. But I need to talk to you. Will you please come see me, in King's Valley? It is alright if you can't, but please try.
Your friend,
Eric

Well, it was definitely better than the first one.
"I have to go, Adam.", she said, getting up, and getting ready to go.
"Where, why, and who for?", Adam asked.
"Just to King's Valley. Because Eric asked me to, which also explains the next question.", Anna said, distractedly.
"Who was the other note from?", he asked, curiously.
"It's from Henry, I mean Prince Henry.", Anna said, quickly.
"Henry? Anna what's going on? I can help, if you tell me.", he said, worriedly.
"I know you can, and I will tell you. But not tonight.", Anna said, and left the room.
She told her family that she was going for a walk, and left the house.
She really had to stop these nighttime excursions.
She arrived at King's Valley, and saw Eric there pacing, by the lake.
"Eric.", she said, walking closer to him.
He turned around quickly, and saw her. He walked up to her, and wrapped his arms around her. He held her tightly, and put his forehead on her shoulder.
She felt that something was wrong, and held him close to her.
He lifted his head, and looked her in the eye.
"I can't do this. I can't stand them being here.", Eric said.
"Eric...", she trailed off, as he let her go, and began pacing again.
She understood that he had something to get out of his system, and she would hear him out.
"I tried to bear them, for you, Anastasia. But I can't! How can I when they mock me like they have? I hate Henry! He must have known that I wanted to dance with you and only you. So, he danced with you all night, just to make me jealous! And it worked! I hate him!", Eric said, still pacing, but looking at Anna.
"Oh, Eric.", she said.
Then all the anger and jealous that Eric felt faded away.
Anna walked up to where he stood, and wrapped her arms around him. He held her tightly, and tried to forget, that anyone else ever held her.
"Eric, you know I love you. I am afraid, that I will never stop loving you. You will be stuck with me forever.", Anna said, quietly.
Eric couldn't speak, but he held her tighter, knowing that she would understand what he wanted to say.
"Anastasia, you are the best, most perfect, beautifulest person I have ever met. I wish to never be parted from you from this day on, and forever. I love you, more than you could ever know.", Eric murmured, softly.
"I love it when you say that.", Anastasia whispered.
"Me too.", he said, smiling.
She laughed softly, and he held her close to him.
"I have never been more jealous of anyone in my life, than Prince Henry.", Eric confessed.
"I don't love him. The way he talks disturbs me, but I have to be nice to him. He is the future king of Finland.", she said, gently.
"I just don't want to lose you."
"I understand. I am pretty jealous of Venla."
"Venla? You shouldn't be, but I am relieved that you are.", he said, with a small smile.
Anna punched him, lightly.
"You are an idiot!", she teased.
"Watch it!", Eric said, grinning.
"Moron.", she said, smiling at him.
"You wish you are as cool as me.", Eric said, striking a ridiculous pose.
"You are many things, but I don't think cool is one of them.", Anna teased.
"You are going to pay for that one.", Eric said, with a mischievous grin on his face.
"Not now. I have to go home. My parents will worry.", she said, gently.
"You have completely changed my mood, Anna. I wish I could be with you always.", he said, softly.
She hugged him tightly, and then walked back to her home.

The author's comments:
Please tell me what you think about my work. All comments are welcome. Thank you for reading this far!

Eric walked down into the main hall, and spotted Anna standing with some nobles, talking. He watched her interact with different people, but he soon lost her in the crowd. He searched carefully for her, but he could not find her.
"Stalker", a voice said, by his shoulder.
He grinned, recognizing the voice.
"I wasn't stalking you. I was observing.", he said.
"Whatever you say, stalker.", Anna said, laughing gently.
"Come with me.", Eric said, spontaneously.
"Where?", Anna asked.
"To a special place.", Eric said, cryptically.
"That's a lot of information.", Anna said, sarcastically.
"You asked. Come on.", Eric said, grinning and pulling her away from the main hall.
"Don't you have to entertain Prince Henry and Princess Venla?", Ann asked, resisting his insistent tugs.
"No, I told them that you are helping me plan Helen's picnic today.", Eric said.
"Alright, I'll go. But we will have to do some planning.", Anna said, letting him pull her away.
They walked through the long, twisting halls, until Anna was sure that they were lost.
"Here we are.", Eric said, stopping by a large wooden door.
"Where are we?", Anna asked.
"You'll see.", Eric said, smiling.
He opened the door, and stood back to let Anastasia through first.
"Oh my goodness.", Anna gasped.
The room was very large, and the ceiling was made of glass, so the sun shone into the room. The room looked like a garden. The floor was dirt, and there was a stone path meandering through the room. There were trees, flowers, and all sorts of plants, arranged to resemble an outdoor garden.
"Do you like it?", Eric asked, coming into the room.
"I love it!", Anna said, turning to face him.
"I come here all the time. It is my sanctuary. Whenever I am stressed, or upset I come here.", Eric said, walking towards her.
They walked along the path for a few minutes, in silence.
Eric stood, by a rock with the words, in memory of Lizzie, carved crudely on it.
"I had a sister once. You won't know that, because we are forbidden to speak of her. Her name was Elizabeth, but I called her Lizzie. She made this room, and used to take me in here, and tell me the names and meanings of all the plants. When I was six, it was announced that she had cancer. I was in shock. That was something that strangers got, not anyone I knew. She went through all the treatments she could, but it was too late, she died. I came here after she died, and carved this, so I would never forget Lizzie.", Eric said, quietly.
Anna had stood next to him, silently listening, but now she stood on tip toe, and wrapped her arms around his shoulders.
Eric held her close to him, wordlessly.
They let go of each other, but Anna held his hand. They walked along the path together, once more in silence.
Eric paused, and picked a small purple flower.
"This is a violet, it means faithful love. I may not be able to be with you, in the way that I want, but I love you, and will be faithful to you.", Eric said, handing her the flower.
"I love you.", Anna whispered, taking the flower, and wrapping her arms around Eric.
They stayed together, until Anna looked at her phone, and saw that she was supposed to be in her way home.
"I have to go, Eric.", Anna said, softly.
"I know, but I wish you didn't.", Eric said, sadly.
Anna began to head towards the door, but Eric stopped her.
"May I have the first dance tonight, Anastasia?", Eric asked, breathlessly.
"Eric, you know that we can't...", Anna began.
"I will find a way. Please say you will dance with me.", Eric pleaded.
"Aright, you can have the first dance.", Anna said, gladly, and left the room.
Eric sat down on a bench in the garden room, and began to form a plan.

Anna went back to her family, expecting that they would be waiting for her, as usual.
She found them still in the main hall, talking to someone who had his back to her. When she approached the group, the person turned around, and she saw it was Prince Henry.
"Hello.", she said cautiously.
"Good afternoon, Anastasia. I have been looking for you all morning, and decided to wait for you, with your family.", Prince Henry said, pleasantly.
Anna looked at her family, and could have laughed at their varying expressions, if Prince Henry wasn't there.
Her father looked proud, her mother looked pleased, Adam looked worried, and Brigitta had a mischievous look on her face.
Anna immediately knew that she would have to explain everything to them on the way home, and would be teased about it.
"I am sorry, I was helping plan for Princess Helen's picnic.", she said, trying to maintain her composure.
"It is alright. I have found you now. Do often plan royal events?", Prince Henry asked.
"No, this is the first time. Princess Helen and I are friends, and she wanted me to help plan the event.", Anna said, leaving Eric out of the conversation.
"That's good. Are you coming to the ball tonight?", Prince Henry asked, changing the topic.
"Yes, I think I am.", Anna answered.
"Excellent! I will be there as well. May I have the first dance?", he asked, in his constantly pleasant voice.
"I am sorry, I already promised that dance to someone.", Anna said, trying to sound apologetic.
"Oh, I see. Will you promise to save a dance for me?", he asked, appearing disappointed and slightly heartbroken.
"Of course.", Anna said, sorry to have caused anyone disappointment.
"Thank you, Anastasia. Now, I will let your family take you away. I will see you tonight.", he said, and left the group.
The family stared at Anna, and she could feel herself blush.
The family went to the car, and as soon as the were all in the car, the questions began. All the voices and questions jumbled together, and Anna tried to answer, but she really couldn't.
"Enough! Everyone one at a time. Anna, will you please give us an explaination?", her father said, taking charge.
"Yes, I will. Last night, at the ball, Prince Henry came up to me and asked me to dance with him. I agreed and we talked, while we danced. We danced together a lot, and he seemed nice. After we got home, that night, he sent me a note saying that he had a good time last night and he looked forward to seeing me today. You saw what happened today. That is the best explanation I have.", Anna said, trying to show them that this was nothing.
"Anastasia, I am proud of you. You have attracted much attention lately, and have used it well.", her father said.
Anna said nothing, because she didn't know what to say. She had done nothing to get this attention, and she wasn't even sure she wanted it.
They talked about it a little more on the way home, and as soon as they got home, Anna asked to be able to go skating. She was given permission and she left as soon as she could.
She went to the one place she could skate, King's Valley. Anna put on her skates, and glide out to the center of the ice.
She put her headphones in, and listened to her music.
She let the music guide her, in what to do. She leaped in the joyful songs, glided slowly during the sad songs, and skated furiously during the songs that moved her soul.
She panted for breath, but she didn't stop skating. Her body was only one part of her, her soul needed peace. And for her soul, peace was found in skating.
Anastasia skated, until she was ready to drop with exhaustion, and then skated for a few more minutes.
Eventually, she dragged herself away from the ice, promising herself to return the next chance she got.
She went in the house, and was greeted by the chaos of the family getting ready for the ball.
"Anastasia, you're back! The royal family sent word that the ball tonight is going to be a masquerade. Isn't that exciting? Come on, you need to get ready!", Brigitta said, seeing Anna lingering in then front hall.
Anna followed Brigitta to her own room, and stopped in her tracks when she saw what lay on her bed. There was a gorgeous black and white, ball gown, with a matching mask on her bed.
"It's beautiful", Anna exclaimed.
"Yes, it is. Now, try it on!", Brigitta said, kindly.
They next forty minutes were spent in putting the dress in correctly, arranging Anna's hair, finding accessories that matched her dress, and putting on make up.
They went downstairs together, and joined the rest of the family.
Adam and her father were wearing suits again, but with different vests.
Anna's mother wore a soft yellow dress.
Brigitta wore a light pink dress, that compliment her brown hair and eyes.
They all went to the palace and split up once the joined the crowd.
Anna walked around, feeling very self-conscious in her dress and mask. Everyone was wearing a dress and mask, but something definitely set Anna apart from everyone else and everyone knew it.
She found Elsa, walking around, and they began to walk around together, chatting as they walked.
"Do you have a partner for the first dance?", Elsa asked.
"Yes, I do. Do you?", Anna said, blushing.
"Yes, unfortunately. I have to dance with Count Berg.", Elsa said, irritatedly.
"Really? Why?", Anna asked, shocked that her friend would dance with him.
"He asked me in front of my parents, and they answered for me. Who are you dancing with?", Elsa said.
"Well, it's a masquerade. You're not supposed to know, who is dancing with who.", Anna said, avoiding the question.
"Uh-huh. It's Prince Eric isn't it?", Elsa said, with a smile.
"Sh! Yes, it is, but you can't tell anyone, ever.", Anna whispered.
"Why didn't you tell me? What happened? What is going to between you two?", Elsa asked, quietly but at a furious pace.
"I am not going to tell you here or now. I'll tell you everything later.", Anna said.
"Alright. Besides you have something else to worry about.", Elsa said, in a mischievous tone.
"What?", Anna asked, confused.
"That man, who happens to look an awful lot like Prince Eric, is coming this way.", Elsa said, smiling.
"Oh.", Anna said, not knowing what to do or say.
"I will see you later.", Elsa said, and left Anna.
Anna was now alone, in a room with two princes, who both want to dance with her, her parents who want her to dance with one, her brother who will kill her either way, and her sister who doesn't want her to dance with one.
Left with very little choices, Anna did the one thing that she could. She ignored everyone, and for once, did what her heart wanted her to do. That decision will change the world, but for this moment time stands still.

Anastasia stood where Elsa had left her, and wait for Eric.
Eric was making his way through the crowd, and she watched him, with a smile playing around the edges of her lips.
He finally managed to reach her.
"Anastasia, I am sorry it took so long.", he said, smiling at her.
He pulled her into his arms, and Anna returned his embrace.
He was of course wearing his mask, and only people who knew him well could recognize him.
"It's okay. I am glad that you are here, now.", Anna said, quietly.
"Me too. Now, that I am here, may I have this dance?", Eric asked.
"Yes, you may.", Anna said, and he lead her towards the dancing.
They joined the next dance, and danced very well together.
Eric had to be mostly silent, or people would recognize his voice, but they communicated through their eyes. They know each other so well that they could understand each other without words, or gestures.
Once the dance was over, Eric lead Anastasia away from the crowded ball room, and into a small empty room near by.
They could still hear the music playing in the ball room, even with the door shut. They both removed their masks, and smiled at each other.
"Anastasia, I miss you.", Eric said, softly.
"I am right here.", Anna whispered.
"I know, but when we are apart..", Eric trailed off.
"I miss you too. But we have to be grateful for the time that we have.", Anna said, taking his hands in hers.
"I love you, Anastasia Fleming.", Eric said, softly.
"I love you.", Anna said, wrapping her arms around him.
He put his arms around her shoulders, and kissed her forehead.
Anastasia felt electrified by the simple kiss on her forehead.
"Eric, you know that we can't be together, at all. But I want you to remember that I love you.", Anna said, her voice muffled by his shoulder.
"Anna, is Venla the only reason we can't be together?", Eric asked, his voice tight.
"No. Venla does stand between us, but she doesn't know there is an us, and there can't be an us. There is something keeping me away from you, and I can't tell you what it is. I want to tell you, but I can't.", Anna said, holding on to him, tighter.
"Anna, I could help. Why can't you tell me? Is it because you don't trust me enough?", Eric asked, pleadingly.
"No, I trust you more than enough. But it is a family issue and I can't tell anyone.", Anna said, carefully guarding her words.
"What could your family possibly have against us?", Eric asked, trying to remain calm.
"More than you would think.",Anna said, stepping away from him.
Eric paced the room, agitatedly for a few minutes, while Anna stood for to the side, trying not to cry.
"I am sorry, Anna. I know you have your reasons for not telling me, and they will be good ones. Let's not fight, when we can be together.", Eric said, walking over to where she stood, with her back to him.
She turned around to look at him, and he saw that a few tears had escaped and were making their way down her cheeks.
"Oh, Anna. I am so sorry.", Eric said, taking her hands in his.
"It's okay, Eric.", Anna said, quietly.
"No, it's not okay. I have hurt you, when you have done nothing to deserve it.",Eric said, and Anna could see how much he meant those words.
"I am not upset by you reaction. Your response was normal and understandable. I just wish that life could be different."
"I love you, Anna. I love you more than you could ever imagine possible.", Eric murmured, kissing the tops of her hands, passionately.
"I love you.", Anna said, it was the only thing she could say.
He pulled hr into his arms, and held her close to him.
They stayed like that for a few minutes, and then they pulled apart.
"I have to go, now. I promised someone I would dance with him. I wish I didn't, but it was necessary.", Anna said, not looking at Eric.
She could tell that this would hurt him, badly. She knew that this whole experience is worse for him, that it is for her. She tried constantly to help make things easier for him, but everything that she did seem to make things worse.
"Who?", Eric asked, clearly trying to be casual.
"Some one you don't really like, so I am not going to tell you.", Anastasia said, trying to avoid answering.
"Anastasia, please tell me it's not Prince Henry.", Eric asked, abandoning all attempts to be normal.
"Eric, before you say anything let me explain..", Anna began, but Eric cut her off.
"It is Henry. Please tell me the truth. What is going on?", Eric said, slowly.
"He came up to me at the ball last night, and asked me to dance with him. I didn't have a reason to say no, and I wanted to dance, so I said yes. We danced and talked, but only as friends. Then when I got home he sent me a note, like you did, saying that he enjoyed talking to me and looked forward to seeing me again. Today at court he came up to me and asked to have the first dance, I said no. But he managed to get me to promise that I would dance with him tonight.", Anna explained.
"Do you....like him?", Eric asked, in a pained tone.
"No! He is nice to me, but I do not think of him in that way, and didn't even think about it until now.", Anna said, truthfully.
"I believe you, Anna. Thank you for explaining. May I walk you back?", he asked.
"Of course, Eric.", she said, and they both donned on their masks.
They left the peaceful sanctuary of the small room, and once again joined the full ballroom.
"I hope to see you again soon.", Eric said.
Anna nodded unable to make herself heard over the noise of both the music and the crowd.
Eric smiled at her to show he understood, and walked away.
Right. One dance is all you promised. You can do this. Anna thought to herself as she weaved her way into the crowd.

Eric tried to mingle with the nobility, but he couldn't focus on anyone but Anastasia.
She was dancing with Prince Henry, heir to the throne of Finland, and she seemed to be happy.
Maybe she was happier with Henry, than she was with Eric.
The thought drove him crazy, and soon he left the ballroom altogether.
Nobody noticed that he was gone, and Eric was glad that he could escape notice, even if only for a minute.
He went to the garden room, which had always been a sanctuary for him.
He paced up and down the path, but everything reminded him of Anastasia. It was so much worse to not know what she was doing, than seeing her, even if she was with someone else.
He surrendered to his thoughts of her, and began to think over their almost fight.
He had hurt, he knew. But he was so unsure of what she felt for him. He loves her so much, and she says she loves him. But then she dances with Henry, or says that they can't be together.
Eric knows that Finland was a problem, but it is possible to get around that, but he didn't know what else could be keeping them apart. Anna had said that it was a family matter, but that is so vague.
The question, why, tormented him for hours until he eventually went to sleep.
He woke up early in the morning, and immediately the memories of last night assailed him, furiously.
His head began to ache, with pressure, and he decided to go outside and clear his head. He got ready, and left the palace, already beginning to wake up.
He lost himself in thought, and paid no attention to where he was going.
He thought about Anastasia, Helen, Sweden, Finland, and Venla. He had so many problems, but no solitons to them. He asked himself the same questions over and over again, and still could not answer them.
He looked up, and discovered that he had walked automatically to King's Valley. As early as it was there was someone out skating on the lake, and Eric immediately recognized the figure.
It was Anastasia Fleming.
He smiled like an idiot, and walked towards the ice.
Anastasia had her headphones in, and was engrossed in her skating, so she did not see him coming towards her.
Eric stopped walking to watch her skate.
Anna jumped into the air, and for a moment soared through the air. But Eric could tell there was something wrong. He hurried towards the ice, just as she fell onto the cold, hard ice.
"Anna!", Eric yelled, and ran to her.
She lay sprawled on the ice, and was not moving.
He picked her up gently in his arms, and laid her head against his shoulder. He walked back to the palace, and ordered one of the servants to get a car ready for him.
A car came, with a driver, and the sped off to the hospital.
Eric cradled her in his arms, and brushed the hair out of her face.
She couldn't die, she couldn't die. He repeated to himself, but somehow he was not convinced.

To Eric it seemed that it took ages to reach the hospital, but they were there in twenty minutes.
Eric rushed inside, still carrying Anastasia in his arms.
The next half hour was a blur of nurses, doctors, hall ways, waiting rooms, x-rays, and various treatments.
Eventually, they settled in one room, where Eric was told to wait for the doctor.
The door opened, and an old man with grey hair, and a short beard entered the room.
"Your Highness, I am Dr. Freeman. I am here to take care of Miss Fleming.", the doctor said, politely.
"Is she alright?", Eric asked, concernedly.
"Yes, and no. She had a concussion, and is in a coma. We expect a full recovery, but we have been wrong before. To be perfectly honest, I think she will be alright, but for right now, she is in bad shape. Can you contact her family? They deserve to know.", the doctor said, seeing Eric's distress.
"Yes, I will reach her family. But what can we do to help Anastasia?", Eric said, quickly.
"We can do nothing at the moment, that we are not already doing. I will continue to do everything in my power to help her.", the doctor said, and left the room.
Eric walked over to Anna's bedside, and brushed her face with his hand.
"I am sorry, Anastasia. I failed to protect you. I am so sorry.", Eric said, trying to keep himself together.
He had almost forgotten how much he relied on Anastasia, to keep him put together. Without her, he was left powerless, defenceless, and broken.
After a few minutes he got up, and dialed the Adam Fleming's phone number, using the phone in the hospital room. He knew Adam's number from calling him, everyday, while Anna was in America to see if he had heard anything from her.
"Hello?", Adam's voice came from the phone, sounding distant and quiet.
"Adam, it is Eric. Anastasia is in the hospital. I am with her now, but she is in bad shape. Please come down here, with the rest of your family.", Eric said, hurriedly.
"What happened?", Adam asked, loudly.
"She had an accident. I can't explain right now. Please just come here, and I will explain everything.", Eric said, wanting to get off the phone.
"Alright, I will be there as soon as I can.", Adam said, and hung up.
Eric turned back to Anna, and didn't leave her side again.
The door opened and the Fleming family rushed into the room.
"Anastasia!", Duchess Fleming cried, and hurried to the bed.
The family filed into the tiny room, as quickly as they could.
Eric noticed, with regret that they were followed by none other than Princess Venla.
"What happened, Eric?", Venla asked, and Eric saw that she was worried.
He remember that Venla and Anna were friends, and felt guilty about not wanting her here.
"She was skating in King's Valley, and she fell.", Eric explained, to whole group.
The next half hour was spent in asking many questions, and giving few answers.
The group soon quieted down, and they began to worry instead of talk.
"I should have never let her skate. I will never let her skate again.", Duke Fleming vowed, quietly.
"No, Duke Fleming. Don't do that. Anastasia loves to skate, and I will not let anyone take away the joy she gets from skating.", Eric said, quickly.
"Have you watched her skate?", Duchess Fleming asked, softly.
"Yes, I have. I first met her, when she was skating. She was always so happy when she skated. She was never truly happy here, and the only time I ever saw her really happy was when she was on the ice.", Eric said, more to himself, than anyone else.
"I never even watched her skate.", Duchess Fleming said, quietly.
They sat in silence, thinking that they all loved one person, but they never really knew her, and now she could die.

The author's comments:
Please tell me what you think! Thank you for reading!

Eric sat by Anastasia's hospital bed, only Duchess Fleming and Brigitta were left in the room. The hospital insisted that everyone, who wasn't a female relation had to leave. But they made an exception for Eric.
Anastasia was still in her coma, and had been for several days.
It was almost morning and Eric could see the first rays of light peeking in through the window.
Eric held Anna's hand, and stroked her cheek with his hand.
"Anastasia, please don't die on me. You can't die.....I won't let you.", Eric whispered, hoarsely.
Eric pressed his forehead to her hand, and closed his eyes tightly.
He felt movement on the bed, and looked up quickly.
Anastasia's head was moving slowly from side to side.
"Duchess Fleming, come look!", Eric gasped, excitedly.
"What is? What's the matter?", the duchess said, coming over to the bed, accompanied by Brigitta.
"I think she is awake.", Eric breathed, not able to believe what he saw.
"Brigitta fetch the doctor. Hurry!", Duchess Fleming said.
The doctor came in, and examined Anna, who did not open her eyes, but her head stopped moving.
"She is out of her coma, but is in a deep sleep. She will be able to sleep this off, and should be completely awake very soon.", Dr. Freeman said, happy to deliver good news.
"Thank goodness! Thank you, Doctor!", Duchess Fleming said, thankfully.
"It is my pleasure. Send a nurse for me, when she wakes up.", Dr. Freeman said, and left the room.
Eric had stayed by Anna's bed, he had listened closely to every word that was said, but he would not leave Anna for anything in the world.
"I am going to go call your father, Brigitta. You stay her and let me know if anything changes.", Duchess Fleming said, and left the room.
Brigitta slowly walked up to the bed, and stood opposite Eric.
"You love her a lot, don't you?", Brigitta said, softly.
"Yes. I love her more than anything else in the world.", Eric replied, not looking up.
"I can see it in your eyes, when you look at her. She loves you too.", Brigitta said, smiling a little.
"I wish she could.", Eric said, quietly.
"She does! Why wouldn't she?", Brigitta said, surprised.
"She has told me that she loves me. But she says there is something keeping us apart. She said it was a family matter, but she wouldn't tell me what it is.", Eric said, keeping his eyes on Anastasia.
"I don't know what would keep you apart, besides Finland.", Brigitta said, confused.
They stood in silence, just watching Anna, until the duchess came back.
"Duke Fleming and Adam are on their way.", Duchess Fleming informed me.
The next few hours were spent in watching Anna, Adam and Duke Fleming's arrival, informing everyone of the new development, and Princess Venla's arrival.
Once everyone came and settled down, the waiting began.
Anna slept on and on. Doctor Freeman said it was normal, but Eric couldn't help feeling worried.
The day dragged on, and night came with no change.
One by one, the group fell asleep, until it was just Venla and Eric left awake.
"Venla, I...I can't......I can't marry you.", Eric said.
"I know, Eric. I have known for days. I have been thinking about how to handle this. I will speak to my father, and tell him the truth, I don't love you. I mean that in the best possible way. You are a good person, but I don't love you.", Venla said, thoughtfully.
"Thank you, Venla. You don't know how much this means to me.", Eric said, gratefully.
Venla smiled, and soon fell asleep.
Eric watched over Anna, and thought over what had happened.
"Eric?", a faint, but familiar voice asked.
"Anna! I am here.", Eric said, her hand in his.
"Eric.", Anna whispered.
"Sh, it's okay. Everything is okay.", Eric murmured.
Anna fell back asleep, but it wasn't as deep as before.
Eric took a deep breath. Everything would be okay now, because Anna was alive.

Anastasia slept for a few more hours and woke up around ten o'clock in the morning.
The collected family and friends were in a deep discussion, but Eric was by her bed.
She saw in his eyes that he was listening to them, but he was not going to leave her.
She smiled at him, and he brushed her long, blonde hair out of her face.
"Anastasia.", he whispered, with a strange look in his eyes.
"Eric...", Anna started to speak, but the rest of the group noticed that she was awake.
"Anastasia!", her mother cried, and power walked over to the bed.
The whole group crowded around her bed, saying her name over and over again, trying to get her attention. It seemed as if they were fighting for her attention, like baby birds, whoever chirped the loudest would get the worm or her attention.
Anna felt crowded, small, and a tiny bit afraid.
Eric was being pushed out of the way, and Anna saw that he was letting himself be pushed away.
Anna realized that he probably thought that she would rather see other people than him. Anna wanted to see everybody, but not like this.
"Eric, help me!", she tried to yell, but it came out as a whisper.
Eric heard her, and pushed his way to her side. He noticed that she was being crowded, and was scared.
"Everybody, calm down. You are crowding her. She just woke up and cannot deal with all of this. We will all take turns. Whoever turn it is will be in the room with Anna, and everyone else will wait in the hall.", Eric said, yelling in the beginning, but when people became quiet, he lowered his voice.
"As her mother, I should stay in the room at all times.", Duchess Fleming said.
"No. We all should stay, but we can't. You may have the first turn, then her father, and so on and so forth.", Eric said, stubbornly.
"Eric, is right. I want to see you all equally, but I can't see you all right now.", Anna whispered.
"Everybody, but Duchess Fleming, go to the hall. Anastasia, let me know if you need me.", Eric said, and herded everybody outside.
"Oh, sweetie. I am sorry, I haven't been a good mother to you.", Anna's mother began.
"Mom...", Anna interrupted.
"No, let me finish. I have never even watched you skate. You have been living with us, but we haven't really brought you into our lives. Can you forgive me?", her mother said, crying.
"It's okay, Mom.", Anna said, quietly.
The hugged, gently, and cried together, until Eric knocked and said that it was her father's turn.
Her mother left, and her father came in.
"Anastasia, how do you feel?", he said, uncomfortably.
"I am okay.", Anna said.
"I shouldn't have let you go skating.", he said, softly.
"It's not your fault. I love skating, I just need more practice.", Anna said.
They talked quietly for a few minutes, about Anna. It was the first time they really talk to each other.
Eric knocked on the door, and opened it.
"Times up. It's Brigitta's turn.", Eric said, and backed out.
Her father and Brigitta switched places.
"Hey, Anna.", Brigitta said, with a small smile.
"Hey.", Anna said, quietly.
"Prince Eric really loves you.", Brigitta said, getting down to business.
"Oh, goodness. How did you find that out?", Anna said, trying to figure this piece of news out.
"I knew when you were in your coma, and he was worried sick about you. But I guessed it at the ball.", Brigitta said, smiling.
"Oh, did you talk to him about it?", Anastasia asked.
"Yes, he said that he loved you and he wished that you loved him too. I asked him to explain, and he said that you said you loved him, but a family matter was keeping you apart. What matter?", Brigitta explained.
"Brigitta, I didn't mean for this to happen. I know that you love him, but I love him too, and...", Anna stopped short, seeing Brigitta trying and failing at not laughing.
"What?", Anna asked, confused.
"I don't love Prince Eric! Don't get me wrong he is a good guy, but I don't love him!", Brigitta said, laughing.
"What? But Adam said, that you have been trying to get close to him for years.", Anna said, even more confused.
"Oh, so that's what happened. Anna, I love Prince Eric's best friend, Samuel Westson. Adam must have thought that I loved Prince Eric.", Brigitta said, smiling.
"Oh, that makes sense.", Anna said, beginning to put the pieces together.
"But please don't tell anyone. They won't approve of Samuel.", Brigitta said, her smile fading.
"Why won't they?", Anastasia asked.
"They think that we need to marry above our station, and Samuel's father is only a knight.", Brigitta explain.
"I won't tell anyone.", Anna promised.
Eric once more entered the room.
"Times up.", he said.
The next hour was spent in seeing Adam, Aunt Pertons, Venla, and Helen, who came all the way from the palace, when she heard Anna was awake. Finally, it was Eric's turn.
Eric opened the door, and walked over to the bed, where Anna lay.
"Anastasia, how do you feel?", Eric asked, worriedly.
"I feel fine.", Anna said, smiling at him.
"Oh, Anna!", Eric said, and sat on the bed beside her.
"Eric, what's wrong?", Anna asked, concernedly.
"I was so worried. I thought you were going to die.", Eric said.
"Eric, I am not going to die yet. I am not going to leave you.", Anna said, stroking his dark hair.
Anna remembered what Eric had said about his sister dying, and realized how much another death would wound him.
"I love you.", Eric said, quietly.
"I love you too.", Anna whispered.
They sat together for a few more minutes, and then they let the rest of the group back into the room.

Anastasia was just getting used to the hospital and what had happened, when everything was thrown off balance by none other than Prince Henry.
Prince Henry arrived at eleven thirty, and insisted on being alone with Anna for a few minutes.
"What is it, Prince Henry?", Anna asked, wishing he would go away.
"Anastasia, I want to apologize to you.", Prince Henry said, seriously.
"What for?", Anna asked.
"I have used you. I flirted with you, not because I was attracted to you, but to cover up my engagement. You are a good person, and I want to be friends. But I do not love you.", Prince Henry said.
"Your engagement?", Anna asked.
"Yes, I am engaged to marry Princess Mary. We kept it a secret, because our parents were fighting at the time I proposed to her. I came with Venla, because my father wanted me to marry someone here. Venla knew, what my father wanted, but she didn't know about Mary. I had to pretend, that I was looking for a wife. I am so sorry. I have been a brute.", Prince Henry said.
"I forgive you. I was never attracted to you. You are a good person, but I love someone else. Congratulations. But will you and Mary be able to marry?", Anna said.
"Thank you, Anastasia. Yes, our parents have stopped fighting, and agreed to our marriage. You will come to the wedding won't you?", Prince Henry said.
"Yes, I will be glad to go.", Anna said, relieved that things were finally working out.
The group outside came back in, and they all sat down to discuss the next move.
"I think that Anna should come home.", Anna's mother said.
"I agree.", her father said.
"Maybe she should come with us to Finland. So, she can get away from the stress here.", Venla suggested.
They discussed all possible places Anna could go once she was realized from the hospital, but the could not agree.
"Hello. This is Anna, the person you have been talking about like she wasn't even here. I have an opinion.", Anna said, joining the conversation.
"What would you like to do, Anna?", her mother asked.
"I want to go somewhere, not another country, but somewhere.", Anna said.
"Anna, come with me to the coast. There is a castle on the south coast, we can stay there for a while.", Eric said, quietly.
"I have never been to the coast of Sweden. I would love to go there, if I could.", Anna said, smiling.
"Then you will go.", Eric said, firmly.
"Who should go with her?", her father asked.
This question started a new argument, because everyone thought that they should go. But not everyone could go, because of court, and they didn't want to crowd Anastasia. It was eventually decided that Anna would go with Eric, Brigitta, Adam, and Venla.
Venla would stay in Sweden for a few more weeks, and then go back to Finland.
Anna smiled to herself. She was going to the coast with only her friends, and Eric, who was her friend, but also something more.

Anastasia was released from the hospital in a few days, and left for the coast.
She sat in the train, on the way to the palace.
Anna looked over at Eric, who was sitting across from her. Eric was gazing at her intently, and smiled at her, when their eyes met.
"Anna, are you okay?", Eric asked, for the millionth time, since she fell.
"Yes, Eric. I am fine. You don't have to keep fussing over me.", Anna said, gently.
"I am worried about you. Anna, I can't lose you, I can't.", Eric said, quietly.
"I know, Eric. I just wish things were different.", Anna said, holding his hand, in hers.
They sat like that in the train for a long time, and soon they reached their destination.
The castle was tall, beautiful, and almost empty.
There were a few servants sent ahead of them to get the castle ready and to take care of them, while they stayed at the castle.
Everyone had their own suite at the castle, and for the first hour and a half, they all unpacked and settled into their new rooms.
There was a knock on her door, and Anna opened the door.
Eric stood in the hall way, and Anna was glad to see him.
"Come in, Eric.", she said, smiling.
Eric entered the room and walked to the window, but looked at Anna.
"Anastasia, I have not been able to see you alone for such a long time.", Eric said, sadly.
"I miss our time together. I have so much to tell you.", Anna said, walking over to him.
"I can't stay long, but I wanted to know if you will join me for a walk tonight, if you are not too tired.", Eric asked, hopefully.
"Yes, I will.", Anna said, smiling.
Eric smiled at her, and something about the way he looked at her, made Anna feel. She didn't know what she felt, but she felt it so strongly, that it almost consumed her. But then his expression changed rapidly, remembrance, sadness, pain, and despair flashed through his eyes.
Eric left the room silently, just as Adam was walking through the hall.
Adam poked his head in the room, and when he saw Anna, he knew something was wrong.
"What's wrong? What happened?", Adam asked, sliming in and shutting the door.
"I don't know.", Anna said, quietly.
"It's been awhile since we last talked. Fill me in on what's been going on.", Adam said, sitting down.
Anna told him everything, except Brigitta's secret, and Adam listened carefully.
"That's everything.", Anna said.
"are you going to tell him, that your family matter is gone?", Adam asked.
"Yes, he deserves to know the truth.", Anna said.
"What are you going to do next?", Adam asked.
"Honestly, I have no idea.", Anna confessed.
They sat together in silence for a few minutes.
"What about you, Adam? What is going on in your life?", Anna asked.
"Not very much. But I do need to tell you something.", Adam said, slowly.
"What is it?", Anna asked, curiously.
"I think I am in love.", Adam said, grinning sheepishly.
"With who?", Anna asked, excitedly.
"That's the problem. I think I love Princess Venla.", Adam said, his grin fading.
"Oh.", Anna said, the crushing knowledge of the situation hitting her.
"I don't know what to do. She could never love me. Even if she did love me, she is a princess and has to marry royalty.", Adam said, hopelessly.
"She could love you. She is my friend, and I know that she is very kind, loving, and sweet. She does not have to marry royalty. Her father wants her to, but she could refuse. But she would have to give up her title.", Anna said, thinking out loud.
They sat together and thought about the mess, that was their lives.

The author's comments:
This is the last chapter for this book. Thank you for reading it. Please let me know what you thought of it. I was thinking about writing a sequel. If you want a sequel let me know. Thank you so much for reading this!

The group had dinner together, and afterwards they went into a sitting room to talk. Eric excused himself and went to his room.
Eric paced his room, feeling like a caged tiger.
He loves Anna and know Venla said she would try to step out of the picture. But Anna insisted that something else was keeping them apart.
Eric sat down on a window sit, and looked out the window.
The window overlooked the garden, and he saw that Anna was walking in the garden with Brigitta.
The sun lighted up Anastasia's blonde hair, and Eric wanted nothing more than to rush down there and run his fingers through that hair.
He watched as Brigitta went back indoors, and Anna walked by herself.
As much as Eric wanted to be with her, something told me that now was not the time.
He watched Anna walk through the garden, and tried to think.
After a while it grew dark, and everyone went to bed, except Anna and Eric.
Eric walked out into the garden, and saw Anna standing by a flower bed.
"Anastasia.", Eric whispered.
"Hi.", she said, turning towards him, but not moving away from the flowers.
"Anastasia, what is it?", Eric asked, seeing that something was different.
"Violets.", Anna said, smiling.
"What?", Eric asked, walking towards her.
"These flowers are violets.", Anna explained, gesturing to the flower bed.
"Faithful love.", Eric said, smiling at her.
"Eric, I have something to tell you.", Anna said.
"What is it, Anna?", Eric asked.
"The reason we couldn't be together was because I was told that my sister, Brigitta loved you. I couldn't accept your love, and know that she wanted it. I just met my family, and I couldn't lose them. But now she told me that she didn't love you.", Anna said, watching Eric closely.
"Anastasia, does this mean...", he trailed off, unable to finish his sentence.
"Yes, Eric.", Anna said, wrapping her arms around Eric's shoulders.
Eric held her close to him.
"We can be together?", Eric asked, unable to believe it.
"Yes, I have no reason why we shouldn't be together. But a good reason why we should be together.", Anna said, holding him tighter.
"What reason is that?", Eric asked.
"Because I love you.", Anna said.
Eric tired to keep himself together, but he could tell Anna noticed.
"I love you, Anastasia. I love you so much.", Eric whispered in her ear.
They both knew, that no matter what happened, they would always have each other and they would always have faithful love.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 5 comments.


on Jan. 26 2014 at 11:37 am
Anon.Writer SILVER, Loveland, Ohio
5 articles 0 photos 16 comments
Thanks! I am going to start a sequel today. But I don't know when or if I will finish it. Thank you, again!

on Jan. 26 2014 at 11:35 am
Anon.Writer SILVER, Loveland, Ohio
5 articles 0 photos 16 comments
Thank you so much!!

cutter297 said...
on Jan. 22 2014 at 1:48 pm
this is good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!sequel??!!!!!!!!!!!!

kaylacake01 said...
on Jan. 21 2014 at 2:40 pm
this is good!!!keep writing.

on Dec. 29 2013 at 12:00 pm
Anon.Writer SILVER, Loveland, Ohio
5 articles 0 photos 16 comments
Hello! Thank you for reading my book! Please let me know what you think. I am thinking about writing a sequel, if you want me to, please comment and let me know. Thanks!