Study Sessions with the Bad Boy | Teen Ink

Study Sessions with the Bad Boy

November 22, 2013
By Amoir, Los Angeles, California
More by this author
Amoir, Los Angeles, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Brooklyn’s POV





Beep! Beep! Beep!



I was awakened by the sudden loudness of my annoying alarm clock. It just so happened to be directly beside my ear. Tiredly I lifted my arm with as much power as I could, and pressed the off button seizing the sound.

I lifted the covers that kept me halfway warm throughout the night off of my legs placing them on the floor, only to jolt them back from the extreme coldness under my toes. I quickly searched for my house shoes that were somewhere under my twin sized bed and put them on.

The fur, coming from the bunny house shoes, gave me back a little bit of the warmth and gave me the courage to put my feet back on the floor to walk to my drawers and pick out my outfit for today.

I decided on a nice black see through blouse with a black bra underneath to where you can only see my stomach, and some warm black jeans. Then I made my way to the hallway bathroom.

I crept silently so that I wouldn’t awaken my parents. I know that my dad had to work a late shift last night, and my mom had to wait up for him, so they must’ve been extremely tired. Once I made it in there, I lightly closed the door and locked it just incase my little brother Bruce came rushing in having to pee or something.

I set my clothes on the bathroom counter top and as I lifted my head I finally got a glimpse of myself before I could do my morning routine. My skin was completely pale and I looked as if I was a vampire, better yet a ghost. My hair was a blackish color, too light to be considered jet black, but not light enough to border on brownish- black. It fell in some messy loose curls, skating past my shoulders. I would deal with it after my shower.

I walked to the bathtub pulling the oversized shower curtain back revealing our white tub. Reaching over I turned on the hot water all the way and the cold water knob just a little so it could blend together making it warm. I then turned the knob in the middle making the water come out from the top so I could have a shower.

I pulled away and started to undress myself then jumped in feeling the water relax my tense muscles. I didn’t really get much sleep last night myself since tomorrow is the first day of the new semester and this is the semester of exams. Also being student body president, I had to prepare a speech for an assembly explaining how important exams are and what they’re worth.

I stayed in the shower for about fifteen minutes knowing that my little brother was going to be up soon. I reached down and cut off the water then grabbed my towel and stepped out of the bathtub.

I dried off and creamed my skin with Midnight Pomegranate lotion from Bath & Body Workshop. The smell of it was really nice and it made my skin feel really soft. After I finished and got dressed in the clothes that I had picked out and looked at my appearance in the mirror.

My pale skin from earlier was now more broad and I actually looked like a human being again. All that was left was my hair that looked jet black now only because of the water. I plugged in my Wal-Mart flat-irons and also the curling irons and went to work.

Twenty minutes later my hair was now in neat curls that flowed down my back and completed my heart-shaped, rosy creamed face, bringing out my piercing brown eyes. I looked good and all that was left was a little cherry lip gloss to bring out my full lips. Once that was done I straightened up a little, threw my clothes in the hamper and opened the door to leave.

Standing there was my 10 year old brother Bruce with his arm raised, and his hand in a gesture to knock on the door, his other hand holding a not so appropriate place. I forcefully made myself hide smile that was tugging at the corners of my mouth, and stifle the laugh that was threatening to come out.

“Finally you’re out of there! I swear you’ve been in there far too long and if I was strong enough, I probably would’ve knocked the door down!” He whisper/yelled angrily. I just shook my head in amusement.

“I’m sorry baby brother, it’s just that I have to make a presentation to day and I have to look good for it.” I explained to him in my best baby voice pouting my lips. He just rolled his eyes and stormed past me into the rest room. If it wasn’t for our parents being sleep, I’m pretty sure he would’ve slammed it.

“Oh, good morning honey.” Said a very tired feminine voice. I looked up to see my mom standing in front of me yawning and stretching at the same time. I smiled at her.

“Good morning mom. Are you okay?” I asked.

“Of course honey. Are you hungry?” She asked making her way towards the stairs.

“Oh no, I’m probably just going to go to Starbucks with Hannah. You know how she always needs her caffeine in the morning.” I said jokingly. She chuckled and nodded heading down.

That conversation led me to thinking about Hannah. Oh my gosh! I’m over here taking my sweet time when I know that I have to pick Hannah up. I rushed into my bedroom grabbing my grey leather jacket, bag, grey boots, and my phone. Then I rushed out seeing Bruce on his way out of the bathroom. I quickly kissed her forehead.

“See you later baby brother!”I yelled and laughed when I heard him mutter a whatever. When I got downstairs I saw my mom in the kitchen preparing something for her and Bruce probably. I ran to kiss her cheek as well.

“Bye mom! I’ll be back after work.” I said.

“Okay honey. Good luck with you presentation today.” She replied.

I got into my 2008 Toyota. Yes, it’s old but it’s the only thing my parents could afford and it’s my baby. Throwing my things in the back seat I turned on the car and made way to Hannah’s house.





As soon as I pulled up to Hannah’s house she came stomping out of her door nagging me. I just laughed at her and unlocked my car’s door.

“How many times are you going to be late Brooke? I mean come one, same time everyday. 8:15 in the morning everyday!” She said putting on her seatbelt as I started driving off.

“Hello to you too best friend. Oh, how am I doing? I’m fine.” I said sarcastically looking her way. I regretted it instantly because she was shooting me a death glare. I could tell that she could see the humor in my eyes.

“Give me a break its only 8:25.” I told her.

“I know but that’s ten more minutes I had to be in that dreadful house. You know he only lets me out when he sees your car.” She cried.

I instantly felt bad thinking about Hannah’s living situation. Her dad wasn’t really the nicest person in the world and they didn’t really get along. Her mom was long gone. She had got tired of Hannah’s dad after a while and unfortunately didn’t take Hannah with her.

“What happened?” I asked her concerned.

“Last night, I went on a date with Ryan. You know how Ryan gets with meeting parents. I met his mom and dad so he thinks it’s only fair if he met mine. I tried to tell him about my dad I did, but he was so determined to meet him.” She said, her eyes watering.

Aww, I felt really bad. I reached my hand over and started caressing her leg. This isn’t the first time her dad has had her in tears. I bet it won’t be the last either.

“Don’t even finish the story Han. I’m sure whatever happened Ryan would understand.” I explained to her trying to make her feel better. She looked at me with a baby face.

“You think so?” She asked. I nodded at her.

Her face brightened a little and I opened the glove department handing her some napkins. She quickly straightened up while looking in the mirror. Cleaning her face led to fixing her hair. Her hair was a light red-gold color, too light to be considered truly auburn, but not light enough to border on strawberry-blonde. It was naturally straight but today, she also had it in curls.

“How about some cappuccinos? I’ll buy yours today too.” I said to her cheerfully. She looked at me and smiled. “That’s sounds really good.” She said and we both starting laughing as I drove to our local Starbucks.





Twenty minutes and two caramel cappuccinos later we had arrived at our school, Lake Wood high. I parked in my normal spot and we both made our way out of the car. Standing there was a very concerned looking Ryan. Once Hannah saw him she ran into his open arms. I was happy that whatever happened last night didn’t ruin anything between them.

Ryan and Hannah have been going out since freshman year. All three of us have been best friends since primary school though. When they pulled away Ryan’s eyes met with mine and he held his arms out again. I quickly went to hug him and laughed.

“I thought you two had forgotten about me.” I said jokingly.

“I could never forget about you. You two are the most important girls in my life.” He said pulling away and throwing one arm over my shoulder and the other over Hannah’s.

“What about your mom?” Hannah asked with a smirk.

“Well, she’s in third place.” He said and we all laughed as we walked into the school building.

We were greeted by some of our acquaintances and friends on our way to the main office. Since it was a new semester, student’s classes change depending on how well, or bad you did the first semester. Ryan let us go and opened the door for us and we walked in. There were students in there waiting for things and some working in the office. I walked right up to the counter and smiled at Ms. Adams.

“Good morning Ms. Adams. We came to collect our schedules.” I informed her. She pushed her unusually large red glasses up the bridge of her nose and smiled widely at me.

“Hello Ms. Student body president. I will have you and your friends schedules printed right now.” She explained as she typed some things into the computer. Pretty soon we heard noise coming from the printer and three papers came out. I rushed over to get them and handed Ryan and Hannah theirs.

I looked at mine and let out a sigh of relief. I got all the classes I wanted, thank god. My mom and dad are going to be so proud of me when I get that scholarship to Harvard Medical School. Well, hopefully they will. They believe that school is very important and they expect me to excel. Sometimes it gets rough with no help, or even a decent good job from them, but I know that scholarship will be worth it. I have been working extremely hard for it all year, and a scholarship is probably one of the only ways that I can get to college. I reread over my schedule again:

1. AP English Lit

2. Pre-Cal Honors

3. P.E.

Nutrition

4. Medical Terminology

5. AP Physics

Lunch

6. Medical Anatomy and Physiology

7. AP Social Studies (Gov and Eco-both AP)

8. French 4 H



I swear I felt like the happiest girl on earth right now. On my final report card last semester, I had a perfect 4.0 and I plan to keep it that way.

“You’re smiling like a child who just met Santa Clause.” Hannah said looking at me weirdly.

“Let’s not forget how seriously Brooke takes school.” Ryan said with a grin. I raised my eyebrow at them knowing they were up to no good.

“Oh I didn’t forget. You could never forget about her perfect attendance and straight A’s since the first grade.” Hannah said mockingly. I shook my head at them.

“Its okay if Brooke is a goodie-goodie two shoes though.” Ryan said casually.

“Because she has a best friend named Hannah! And Hannah is always the life of the party that keeps the goodie-goodie from being boring.” She sang cheerfully.

“Shut up guys, you’re not funny.” I said acting as if I was hurt while we all waved bye to Ms. Adams and walked out of the office.

“We don’t have to be funny, as long as we’re right.” Hannah beamed. As sad as it is, they are right. Actually, it’s not really that sad because I am not ashamed. I am not ashamed of making A’s and doing really well in school. Yes, I never break the rules and I have a curfew and listen to my parents, so what. I wasn’t born to be rebellious, I was born to be me and if being successful is who I am that’s who I’m going to be.

“Aww, its okay Brook. You know that we love you no matter how smart you are. Hey! At least we have P.E together.” She pointed out. I smiled and looked at her schedule. It wasn’t bad or good. She had all the regular classes of a regular senior. Hannah was fine with that.

With these classes she mad B’s and kept a 3.0 while still living the fun life of a senior. She was very cheerful and spontaneous, always going to parties and hanging out late. She was a preppy teenager that enjoyed her life and I was happy that she was my best friend. Yes, we were total opposites.

I rarely ever go to parties and I spend most of my time studying and doing extracurricular activities. Yes, I’m preppy but I’m also considered a nerd. Not the kind of nerds with the glasses and hide behind there hoodies, no I am the academically popular nerd that is beautiful and has friends. I just love school.

“Are you still doing cheerleading Hannah?” I asked her as we all walked to our lockers. They just so happened to be right next to each other.

“Of course! I’m telling you, as flexible as you are, you should join too.” She said. I laughed and shook my head.

“I can’t. I’m too busy with student council, violin, community service, and having to watch Bruce most of the time.” I explained to her.

“I know, I know. I just can’t handle that annoying slut anymore.” Hannah complained referring to Macy. Macy was the captain of the cheerleading squad and the most annoying girl here. She was a complete Barbie; tall, strawberry blonde hair, rich, snotty and fake. If that wasn’t enough, she thinks that everyone should abide by her rules. We didn’t really get along at all ever since primary days when I was voted student of the month instead of her. Talking about holding grudges right?

“Speaking of the devil.” Ryan said turning our attention to where he was pointing.

Macy, Hilary, and Carla were all headed this way. I groaned aloud as Hannah muttered some incoherent curse words. Ryan just laughed. She walked all the way up to us and just stood there with a smirk as her back up girls stood beside her.

“Hi Macy, do you need something?” I asked her with a sarcastic smile as I put in my locker combination.

“Brooklyn always worried about me. Sadly, I’m never worried about you. I came here for Hannah.” She said dismissing me with her hand. I rolled my eyes at her and grabbed my student council folders out of my locker. I swear I have never done anything to her to make her not like me. Though if she wants to be that way no problem, I’m just not going to stoop to her level.

“Yes Macy?” Hannah asked in an annoyed tone.

“Just coming to let you know that I moved cheer practice to 4:30 instead of 4:00. I have something to do and I would like it if you spread the message to everyone else.” She said with one of the fakest smiles. Hannah shook her head.

“Why can’t you do it, better yet why can’t they do it?” She asked pointing to the minions.

“You are the ‘second’ captain, right?” She asked her raising her eyebrow. Hannah sighed.

“Whatever Macy, see you at 4:30.” She said closing her locker and turning towards me, dismissing Macy. Macy just put her sunglasses back over her eyes and continued walking with her minions following behind her.

“Now, is it me or is it not a sun in here?” Ryan asked playing confused. I laughed.

“Oh no, I think it’s just her Ryan.” I said.

“Yeah, that’s what I thought. I’ll see you guys later.” He said kissing Hannah on the cheek and giving me a goodbye hug.

“You see why I want you to join the team; I have to put up with that everyday on my own.” Hannah said linking her arm with mine as we walked down the hallway. “I know Hannah. I know.” I said. Just then the bell had rang and Hannah and I went our separate ways, as I had AP Lit, and she had science.









My first class passed by smoothly and I was now off to my second period. School was going good and I was just ready to complete the rest of my next two periods so that I can get my assembly over with. I walked into my math class and took my seat in the front. Mr. Winsley smiled at me and I returned it.

When the bell had rang, all of my class mates came piling in and took there seats. “Good morning class, and welcome to semester two. As you know, semester one is over. This is the last and most import-” He was interrupted by the school telephone on the wall behind him. He shook his head and went to answer it.

“Mr. Winsley, how may I help you?” He asked into the phone.

“Brooklyn Waters?” He asked. I snapped my attention to him at the sound of my name. I wonder what this could be about.

“The principal’s office?” He asked again confused. I looked again after hearing the words principal and office all coming after my name. He said a simple okay and then hung up.

“Brook, they want you in the principle’s office?” He said making it sound like more of a question. I wasn’t surprised that he was just as confused as I was. I had never in my whole twelve years of school, been sent or called to the principle’s office.

“I don’t know sir, but I better get down there.” I said getting up and grabbing my bag. He nodded and I walked out the door and down the hall. I could feel my palms getting sweaty and my head was starting to hurt from me constantly thinking about why I was being called.

When I got to the main office I walked in and went to counter. Ms. Adams was still at her desk on the computer when she looked up at me. “Oh yes Brooklyn, Mr. Brown would like to see you right away.” She informed me pointing to his door. I nodded hesitantly and went behind the counter towards his office.

After knocking twice I heard a firm voice tell me to come in. I opened his door to see him behind his desk, and another man sitting across from him.

“Good morning Brooklyn. Shut the door and come sit.” He said pointing the chair next to the one the man was sitting. I followed his orders and sat down. I felt very uncomfortable here. I looked around the room observing a little. It was a big room that looked like a study office. There were bookcases every where and his bug brown desk was huge in front of me. I felt as if I was in a detective’s office. When Mr. Brown cleared his throat I looked up at him immediately. He had a smile on his face. Not knowing what do I just forced a smile back at him. Was smiling a good sign?

“How are you today Brook.” He asked me folding his arms on the table.

“Umm, I-I’m fine.” I stuttered. The man beside me let out a deep chuckle making my cheeks flush red. Never have I ever been afraid to speak with Mr. Brown. It’s just the atmosphere inside this room is what scared me.

“That’s good. Are you ready for the assembly today?” He asked. I nodded not wanting to embarrass myself again by stuttering.

“That’s good. Well I called you down here because I need a very important favor from you.” He explained to me. I let out a sigh of relied knowing that I wasn’t in trouble.

“What is it sir?” I asked.

“I need you to tutor someone.” He said to me.

I couldn’t help but laugh at his words. Not only his words but at myself. I laughed for being so scared as if I knew I had did something before. Mr. Brown gave me a confused expression.

“I’m sorry sir, all this time I just thought I was in trouble or something. I didn’t know that you wanted me to tutor someone. Why didn’t you just have Mrs. Lee tell me?” I asked him. For community service sometimes I tutor students in the library. Mrs. Lee was the librarian and usually was the one to tell me who I was to tutor.

“Well because this isn’t just like all the other times you’ve tutored. This job comes with more responsibility and is a little more difficult. Before I tell you about it, I want to introduce you to Mr. Maxwell. You will be tutoring his son that attends this school.” He explained pointing to the man who was finally introduced.

“Nice to meet you.” I said extending my hand to shake his politely.

“Why it is a pleasure to meet you dear. I have heard several things about you, and I know that you are perfect for this job. My son can be a little difficult but I have faith in you.” He said to me shaking my hand with his big one. I smiled at his compliment.

“And your son is?” I asked.

“Well, I can show you better than I can tell you.” He said. I gave a confused expression as he got up and walked to the door.

“Come on Mitchell.” He said to some one outside. I suddenly froze at that name. No it can’t be, Mitch. Can it? I shook my head. No It can’t be. I looked towards the door waiting for this Mitchell to come in.

A boy much taller then me with shaggy brown hair came in. He had on jeans, and a navy blue shirt. I looked up at his face and felt as if I was going to have a heart attack.

“You want me to tutor Mitch?”

Brooklyn's POV







Mitchell Maxwell was one of the school's infamous screw ups, he was lazy, unmotivated, and had an unbearably large ego. We have gone to the same school since first grade when he moved here from New York. Mitch has never been the most studious; in fact, He was in the grade above me until last year when he failed and had to repeat his senior year, which is most likely the reason they called me in to tutor him.

"Will that be a problem Ms. Waters?" Mr. Brown asked, a tinge of annoyance clouding his voice. I shake my head to clear it and pull my eyes away from Mitch so I can look at Mr. Brown.

"No sir, not at all. Just tell me what I have to do." I answer more confidently than I feel. How was I going to balance this on top of everything else? Sure I tutored the other kids but I had a feeling this was going to take a larger commitment than teaching a freshmen the basics of Algebra I. Panic was starting to set in as I added this to my already hard to manage to do list. Mr. Maxwell smiled and stood gesturing for his son to take his place.

"I have to get to a meeting, but it was very nice to meet you Brooklyn. I have high hopes for you and I'm sure you will help get my boy ready for the end of the year exams." With that he shook hands with Mr. Brown and exited without even saying a word to Mitch. I raised my eyebrow but quickly put it back down. It was none of my business what went on in his personal life. Just don't even try to meddle you will only get yourself deeper. I let out a breath and look to Mr. Brown expectantly. He furrows his brow and again I feel scared like a roller coaster drop in the pit of my stomach.

"Now Mitchell, your father has made it very clear that passing this year is not an option for you. Brooklyn is one of your final hopes of getting you ready for exams and I- your father won't tolerate you messing this up. She will be helping you in all of the core classes, Physics, Government, Calculus, and ect. Every other day you are expected to meet her in the library during lunch and off periods to work, and skipping will not be permitted. It is also required that you study off campus with her at least one day each week for two hours. I know this sound like a lot, but if you want to improve your test scores it is necessary. Are we clear?" Mr. Brown asks his voice very stern and commanding.

Every other day, why so often? Did he really do that bad? How was I supposed to juggle that on top of everything else? All of these questions swarm my mind at once until I feel like I'm drowning in them. With all the rules maybe I should have taken notes, so I don't forget one and accidently get scolded by the new fatherly side of Mr. Brown. I glance over at Mitch who seems unfazed.

"Eye, eye captain, anything else you forgot, any other rule that will make my life hell? Go ahead I'm open to suggestions." He rolls his eyes and slouches further down in his seat. I can practically smell the attitude rolling off of him. It made me cringe that anyone could have the audacity to talk to someone with authority like that. If I had dared speak to my parents or anybody older than me that way I would have been yelled at and grounded for all eternity for not being a proper lady. My mother had made me take etiquette lessons when I was younger just for that purpose.

"Your attitude is not appreciated Mitchell," Mr. Brown turns to me. "Brooklyn I suppose you know your task. Just try and get him ready to pass the exams in all the regular classes, I don't expect you to work a miracle and get him ready for the AP tests or anything. If you need any practice tests or other material Mrs. Lee has that for you. Good luck you two, now get back to class." With that Mr. Brown spun around in his roller chair and left us to see ourselves out. I must admit I was a little surprised with the way he worded it. I know Mitch wasn't the brightest but to suggest it would be a miracle if he passed the AP test was a bit harsh. I pick up my bag from the ground and pull out my planner I kept for organization purposes and wrote down things I would need to try and make this work. One of which was enough time, and that I just didn't seem to have. I sighed and stuffed it back in my bag.

Mitchell was already out in the hall by the time I made it out of the office. He was leaned against the opposite wall, hands stuffed in his pockets, as if waiting for a friend during a passing period. He looked me up and down but didn't say anything at first. I didn't move, just stood there like an idiot waiting for something to happen. I wasn't even sure what I expected. Maybe he would sprout fangs or wings and try and bite me. I shake the thought away because I knew it was ridiculous. The intensity of his dark eyes studying me made me start to fidget.

"You're not going to tell anyone about this." He says like it was a known fact I couldn't argue. How dare he try and tell me what I was going to do. Boys like him were the reason I didn't date, well that and I had no time to, plus the fact my dad was a bit strict in that area.

"Excuse me?" I ask annoyed.

"You heard me. If you tell anyone about this I will personally make your life hell babe."

"Oh please, it's not as if I would want anyone to know I was tutoring you. That would require people knowing I actually had to spend time with you." I fire back before I can stop it. I'm not sure what it was about this guy that made me on edge. In normal situations I wouldn't have risked saying that, but I had to admit it felt pretty good. He pushed off the wall and slowly made his way across the hall, his eyes never leaving mine. He stopped a few inches from me and I could feel his breath on my cheek.

"You have fire in you, I like that. But that still doesn't change the fact that you're a stuck up little honor roll baby. I've seen plenty of girls like you; girls, who never go out, never let lose. Girls who have never even kissed a boy before. You're all the same; daddy's girls with matching purity rings." He whispers. Every word makes me want to fall into the wall and hide so no one can see me. But I wasn't about to let this jerk know he got to me in any way. I stand up a little straighter in hopes I would look a little more intimidating.

"Well since you know me so well, let me take a crack at you. All boys like you are the same, slackers with no IQ and an even lower moral value. Your parents are rich so you think you have the right to just coast through life on a trust fund and good looks. Well I have news for you buddy," I poke him in the chest for emphasis. "Sure I'm an honor roll student and the president of student council but I would much rather be that than repeating a grade again. So if you know what's best for you, you will allow me to do my job without complications." With each word I spoke I could feel the fire inside me growing. I was angry at him, at the fact he thought he knew me, and most of all that he could get under my skin so easily. This was going to be the hardest tutoring job yet, and we hadn't even started yet.

He glared at me and crossed his arms over his chest. "This isn't over tutor girl, but I was serious. Tell anyone or get in my way and I swear you will wish you hadn't." he finishes as the bell rings and student pour from their classes. I stand there watching him as he disappears into the sea of bodies pushing their way to their next class. When I lose him I turn on my heels and hurry to the other side of the school so I don't get a tardy for P.E.

The whole way there I couldn't shake the nagging feeling of how serious he had sounded. Remembering his voice made me shiver. I didn't want to admit it but he had scared me. I sure wouldn't tell him, or anyone else for that matter, but it didn't stop it from being true. Mitchell Maxwell was going to make my life hell for the next eleven months and there was very little I could do to stop it.

But as long as I stayed focused on the most important thing, Harvard, I would get through it all and maintain my perfect grade average. That, I was determined to do.

Brooklyn’s POV







I quickly made my way to P.E. I was extremely happy that Hannah was in this class because I definitely needed some one to talk to. I walked into the locker room and down our aisle to see that she was already there changing. I let out a sigh of relief and set my bag down, then started to get my clothes out.

“Hey, what’s wrong? You’re shaking like you’ve seen a ghost.” She said looking at me concerned.

“More like ran into a monster!” I mumbled shaking my head remembering the little altercation between Mitchell and me.

“What, a monster?” She asked, letting out a short laugh and then gave a puzzled expression. She was now finished dressing and was sitting on the bench in front of me waiting for my response. Once I did the combination on my locker and opened it, I took off my regular clothes and put on my p.e uniform.

I had just finished putting on my shorts and shirt. I stuffed my clothes into my duffel bag and threw it in my locker slamming it shut. Then Hannah and I walked outside with the rest of the class side by side. We made our way to bleachers and I scanned the class room and saw Ryan talking to a few guys at the bottom of the bleachers. I know we'll all meet up during class. I kept looking and my eyes met Macy’s standing with her sidekicks. She me sent a scowl. I rolled my eyes while Hannah grabbed my arm pulling me all the way up at the top like always. When I sat down, I felt a shiver going down my spine from the coldness. It reminded me of when Mitch was breathing on my cheek. I quickly shook my head wanting to get that memory away, and fast.

Thinking of him made me remember that she was still waiting for an answer, and my mind was still thinking a mile a minute.

How am I going to get through this? I have to tutor him everyday until exams. Exams aren't until two months. I have to spend two months with him. I really don’t know how this is going to work out. When I was around him in the hallway, he made me feel so weak, so alone and scared. I felt like I had to be on defensive mode all the time because of the things he was shooting at me. The sad part is the things he was saying was getting to me. Could that mean that the things he was saying were true? No, they couldn't be.

"Earth to Brooklyn. Tell me what's going on before coach starts." She said, snapping her fingers in my face to get my attention.

"I'm sorry. Just a little overwhelmed right now." I told her.

"Yeah, I bet. What's this I hear about you going to the principal's office?" She questioned with a raised eyebrow. I laughed because she sort of looked and sounded like a mother.

"Ugh! That’s what this is all about. Mr. Brown asked me to tutor some one." I said quietly.

"Why do you look so upset? You love tutoring." She said.

"Tutoring isn't the problem. It's the person he assigned me to tutor."

"And who might that be?" She asked using her hands telling me to hurry up and spill. My mouth opened to tell her but closed when I heard our coach’s voice. I turned my attention to him and whispered that I'd tell her later. She rolled her eyes and I just smiled. She knew I hated talking while adults were talking because I hated missing things. Just as well as she knew I hated that, I knew she hated not knowing things soon, especially if she knew I had something to tell her.

"Good morning class. Today we're gonna do a practice mile run"

He said making most of the girls groan and some of the guys high five. They always use the mile run as a competition to see who was faster. The girls however saw this as a complete waste of time and just walked the whole thing. I on the other hand usually completed all my laps right before the 12 minute mark. I used to run all the time and still have to so I can stay in shape. Hannah was one of the slackers. She absolutely hated running and she groaned beside me.

"You know the drill already. 6 laps in 12 minutes is an A. Since today's run is just practice, I'll cut those slackers some slack. But if you make it within time, you get an A today, and start out with an A next run!" He yelled at us. We all nodded and then he blew his whistle signaling for us to go to the starting line. I pulled my hair away from my face, securing it in a tight pony tail. Usually, I liked to wear it down around my shoulders, leaving the loose curls as they are. But right now, I needed it away from my face.

"Can you believe this? The first day of the second semester and instead of going over drills, and definitions of body parts, he wants us to run? Can you believe it?" I heard Hannah complain beside me.

"To be a cheerleader, I can't believe you can't run." I told her getting my starting position.

"It's not that I can't run it’s that I choose when to run. I hate running in the morning and since this is just a drill I'm only going to do 5 laps." She said smirking. I laughed and shook my head.

"You won't be mad if I leave you in the run right?" I asked her making sure.

"Of course not. I know you have to make your A, but I will be mad if you don't tell me who your tutoring before this class is over." She said smiling. I laughed and looked at coach. I saw that he was just about to blow the whistle and right before he did I looked at Hannah and said,

"Mitchell Maxwell!" Then ran off when I heard the loudness in my ear. I could still hear her loud gasp and then her yell my name as I kept my steady pace running. I looked behind me to see her still at the line in shock and I laughed.

---------------------------------------------------

"Another good job Brooklyn. 6 laps in only 11 minutes and 33 seconds. Head to the bleachers." Coach said smiling at me and holding his hand up for me to high five it. I smiled back and slammed my palm into his feeling the sting then ran towards Ryan who was sitting on the bleacher laughing with some of the guys.

"Hey everyone." I said waving and sitting in the middle of Ryan and Jeffery trying to catch my breath. Jeff was a good friend of ours and really cool to hang out with. He put his arm around me and squeezed me making me laugh.

"What's up Brookey, tired?" He asked using the nickname he gave me freshman year. I nodded and wiped the little bit of sweat off my forehead.

“Yes I am. I don’t know how you guys complete that so quickly and not even look tired.” I said leaning my head on his shoulder.

“Well we are apart of the football team you know?” Ryan said resting his arm on my shoulder. I shrugged him off and laughed.

“Yes I know, I also know your girlfriend is apart of the cheerleading team and it isn’t showing.” I said with a grin as I pointed to Hannah who was now walking up with a frown and breathing deeply. He gave her a sad but funny look and pulled her onto his lap.

“Aww babe, are you okay?” He asked her.

“Oh my gosh! I am so tired, I feel like I’m going to die!” She yelled throwing her head back dramatically and we all laughed.

“Okay everyone hit the showers!” Coach yelled pointing to both of the locker rooms. We all got up and went our separate ways.









It was now nutrition and Hannah, Jeffrey, Ryan, Stacey, and Cody were all sitting at the table together. Hannah, Ryan and I were best friends and all, but this was our regular hang out crew. I was digging into my coffee cake when I felt some one pinch my arm. Off of reflexes I quickly smacked the hand and turned to see who it was.

“Why would you do that?” I whispered yelled at a grinning Hannah.

“Oh you know why. You just tell me you’re tutoring Mitchell Maxwell and then go all mute on me. You’re giving me all the details, and now.” She said playfully glaring at me. I let out a sigh and pushed my tray forward then turned towards her.

“Okay, okay. I will explain everything to you.” I said to her and she smiled like a kid on Christmas. I told her about everything. From being called to meeting Mr. Maxwell, to having that scene with Mitchell in the hallway. I just let it all out to her and I felt slightly better afterwards. The guys were completely oblivious to our conversation and were just talking about football plays. I rolled my eyes at there low attention span and looked back at Hannah.

“Oh my gosh! I can’t believe it. You have to tutor him?” She said shocked pointing towards the wall that Mitch was leaning on. I looked to see his back against the wall with his foot resting on it. He was standing with this guy that I didn’t really know and looked so care free. He must’ve felt my gaze on him because our eyes met and he sent me a smirk before him and the guy walked out of the cafeteria. I quickly turned my eyes back to her.

“Don’t point Hannah, and yes. I can’t believe it myself. I don’t know whether I can do it or not.” I told her looking down at my fingers. I heard her gasp.

“No you did not just say that? Look at me!” She ordered. When I didn’t I felt her hand go under my chin and raise it so our eyes met. My sad ones looked into her fierce ones.

“Has there ever been any goal any one had given you that you couldn’t achieve? I don’t think so. You are a very smart and mature and responsible person. I have no doubt in my mind that you can’t help him pass those exams in two months.” She said reassuringly letting my chin go. I smiled at her. This is why I loved my best friend no matter what.

“Now you know that movie we watched with the Spanish cheerleaders in high school that kept giving there coach a hard time. Remember we watched it on Disney Channel?” She questioned really thinking hard.

“Yeah, ‘Gotta Kick It Up’! That was years ago, what about it?” I asked her chuckling.

“Yeah, leave it up to you to remember. Anyway, you know how they always used to say, ‘Si Se Puede’?” She asked laughing. I nodded at her wanting to see where she was going with this.

“Well you know how it you, we can do it. Well I think you can do this so on three, we say Si Se Puede to wish you good luck.” She said grinning cheekily. I couldn’t help the smile that spread on my lips.

“Your so cheesy but okay.” I put my hand over hers and then she counted. When she got to three, we both threw our hands in the air yelling ‘Si Se Puede!’ You won’t even believe how many people were staring at us. I mean the whole cafeteria, including Ryan, Cody, Jeffery, and Stacey. We just burst up laughing and soon the cafeteria went back to their business.

“You guys are so weird.” Ryan said smiling at us. I shrugged my shoulders and started eating my coffee cake. I felt some one slide beside me and I looked to see Jayson sitting there with a smirk on his face. I smiled at him and gave him a hug.

“Hey Jay!” I exclaimed. He laughed while hugging me and I could feel the vibrations in his chest. It felt good hugging him. Jayson was like my crush since sophomore year. He was tall and buff. He had black shaggy hair and was a jock. He was captain of our high school’s football team.

“I couldn’t help but hear you guy’s pep talk.” He said with a teasing smile. I could feel all the heat rush to my cheeks. I used my hands to quickly cover the blush but he stopped then.

“Don’t, I think it’s cute.” He said with a genuine smile just as the bell rang for class. I felt someone tap my elbow. I turned to see a winking Hannah walking off with Ryan and them. I playfully rolled my eyes at her and got up throwing my tray away.

“Well, I guess I’ll see you later?” I asked him.

“No, I’ll walk you. What class do you have?” He asked throwing his arm over my shoulder and walking us towards the exit of the cafeteria.

“Medical Terminology.” I said trying to hide the smile that was coming. This was so sweet of him and gave him bonus points in my book.

“Oh! I have that class to!” He said with a grin. My eyes went wide at the fact that he was taking medical classes. I wonder what medicine field he was interested in.

“That’s great! Well we better go before the bell rings.” I explained to him and he nodded removing his arm from my shoulder. I was a little upset and missed the warmness but it all came back when his hand entwined with mine. We walked like that, hand and hand, all the way to our class and then took the two seated desk in the middle.

“Well let the medical fest begin.” He whispered in my ear making me laugh. Wow, if the whole Mitchell thing never would’ve happened, and I didn’t have to start with him at lunch, this would be the best day ever.





4th period as well as my 5th period had passed by smoothly. It was now the thing I was dreading and it wasn’t even the assembly. The assembly wasn’t until our six period, right now the first session between Mitchell and I. I had to pass the cafeteria to get to the library and I saw my friends standing at the door.

“Why aren’t you guys in there eating?” I asked.

“Cause we are waiting for you silly!” Piped Stacy. I smiled at my really hyper and goofy friend.

“Oh, Hannah didn’t tell you guys. I have to tutor some one right now.” I explained to them.

“Oh yeah it must have slipped my mind that Brook had to tutor Mitchell Maxwell!” Hannah yelled casually with a wink. I gasped and looked at her shocked. The look I was giving her, my friends were giving me.

“You have to tutor Mitch and you didn’t tell me. Do you know who he is, only the hottest bad boy in this school!” Stacy said looking at me crazily.

“Ummhmm!” Cody cleared his throat behind us and Stacey smiled at him.

“I said the hottest bad boy. You’re the hottest good guy babe.” She said sending him a wink and he raised his eyebrow with a smile. I laughed at the weird couple before me.

“Look guys, I don’t want to be late so I’ll tell you all about it later. Better yet, why don’t you tell them Hannah?” I said sending her a playful glare and jogging off to the library. When I walked in it was really quiet except for the little chit chat between students at the desk. I always liked the library. No matter what you could always come here and clear you mind either with music, a book, a video or just the peaceful quiet.

I walked up to Ms. Lee, the librarian and gave her a hug smile.

“Good afternoon Ms. Lee, how are you?” I asked. She looked up at me and smiled right back.

“Oh Brooklyn, I’m always happy to see you. What’s up?” She asked.

“Oh, I figured that Mitchell and I could just start with the basic pre-test books so I can see what he knows and what he doesn’t.” I explained to her and she nodded reaching down under her desk then pulling out a mini sized bag.

“Here are all the utensils you will need for the whole two months. You can take the whole bag or you can get out what you need for today and put the bag back.” She told me handing it to me. The bag wasn’t that big or small. It was like a medium size just like the bag I used as a backpack and it was all black.

“I think I use it and when I’m not using it I’ll leave it in my car. I do have to tutor him after school now.” I said mumbling the last sentence and shaking my head.

“Okay dear. I cleared the back office for you guys so that you could have private study sessions.” She said.

“Aww, thank you Ms. Lee. I really appreciate that. I’m going to go head back there and wait for him.” I told her. She nodded and then I started walking.

“Oh, wait, wait, wait!” She called after me making me turn around quickly.

“You didn’t think they’d make you do this without feeding you right?” She asked with a grin pulling the two big sized McDonald’s bag and the cup holder with two big cups. I smiled at the food now hearing my stomach grumble. I grabbed the bags and the cup holder from my Ms. Lee, thanked her, and then walked to the office they had set up for me.

Once I was all settled and starting to eat my double cheeseburger and large fries meal, I looked at the time. Lunch is and hour and so far twenty minutes have passed by. What can he be doing? He knows that we have a session today whether it was the first day or not. Maybe he had a little detention or something. I’ll wait a few more minutes.

Now forty minutes of lunched had passed by and we only had twenty minutes left. In that time of boredom and waiting, I managed to eat my burger and fries and drink my whole strawberry soda, and I completed half of one of the workbooks that were for him. About now I was completely fed up. I threw away my trash and put the tools except for the workbooks back in the black bag. I grabbed his lunch and his drink and stormed out of the office and the library. I didn’t even say goodbye to Ms. Lee, I was so angry.

I hated being messed about and he was messing me about. I could have of had a very nice lunch with my friends and maybe Jayson, but no. I was stuck waiting for this jerk who didn’t even have the decency to tell me he was going to come, or even send a messenger. I walked into the cafeteria doors and observed it looking for him. Before my eyes could find Mitchell, they once again met with Macy’s. She was sitting at the table near the vending machines with the football players and other cheerleaders. She sent me an evil smirk and got up walking towards the water machine. I gave a puzzled expression wondering what she had up her sleeve when I saw that Jayson was there buying a water.

She tapped his shoulder and he turned around facing her. I knew exactly what she was doing, and I couldn't help but scoff at her as she shamelessly flirted with Jay in front of me. She was twirling her long straight strawberry blonde hair around her little finger. It wouldn't be so annoying if Macy wasn't so perfectly pretty, with her piercing brown eyes and hair with a color that somehow defied all the simple categories created by Revlon. She was doing this on purpose because she definitely knew about my crush on Jayson.

My anger was boiling even more and I couldn’t even stand there to watch. I knew who I was looking for and I was going to take all my anger out on him. I really don’t care what he told me in the hallway today. This could’ve been our little secret if he would’ve just come to our session.

I found him sitting at the back table with a group of guys and that guy from earlier. I could hear Hannah calling my name but I ignored her and rushed over to Mitchell. He could see me even before I got there and his eyes held a threat but I shook it away. I know this was going to come back and bite me but as I said before, I hated being messed about.

I went and slammed the pre-test workbooks in front of him having to slightly push two of his friends since he was in the middle.

“This is what you have to work on until I come to your house. We would’ve had it done if you would’ve come to our session in the library. I sat there and waited forty minutes for you. Is it that hard to not act like a bad boy for one day! Do you only care about yourself? Of course you do. You should try to think about others if you want to maybe pass the 12th grade this year!” I shouted at him with fierce and the whole time he was glaring daggers at me. I could see the vain in his forehead looking as if it was going to pop any minute.

By now the whole cafeteria was silent and watching us with confused expressions. I think mostly because I was talking to Mitchell, or I was yelling in anger which I rarely ever do, or because I was yelling in anger at Mitch, the school bad ass. Frankly, I could care less at the moment.

I started to walk off before he could comment when I noticed I still had his McDonald’s in my hand. I walked back over to him and slammed that on the tabled as well.

“Here’s the food they bought. You might like it because it’s cold, just like you.” I said with a sarcastic smile and stormed out of the cafeteria.

I couldn’t believe I had just done that in front of everyone. I have never been scared of an audience but I have never ever been that bold to tell some one like him off in front of an audience. I know that he was going to have something coming for me. He absolutely did not want anyone to know about me tutoring him, but it’s his fault that they know.

I had walked all the way to my locker and I got there, I was breathing really hard. I tried to do the count to ten thing and breath in and out deeply but it didn’t work. I heard loud walking coming towards me and I stiffened hoping it wasn’t who I thought it was. I looked up in front of me and let out a sigh of relief seeing that it was my friends looking at me like I was a mad woman.

“Brook, what was that in there man!” Ryan said breaking out in a laugh and so did they. Laughing must really be contagious because I couldn’t help but laugh with them. We laughed for a long time as they mentioned some of things I did in there making us laugh even harder.

“You are bold Hannah! I can’t believe you did that.” Jeffery said patting me on the back with a grin. I sent him thumbs up with my right hand as my left hand clutched my stomach; it was hurting from laughing so hard.

“Yeah, you got guts!” Ryan said still laughing. We heard the bell rang and they all gave me a hug walking towards their class, except for Hannah. She was here was smiling at me.

“Girlie, he’s bringing out an animal in you. You have to tell me what all happened, but right now good luck with the assembly. I have to go to the gym because you know I have to cheer.” She said giving me a big hug and then running to the gym’s direction. I had almost forgotten about the assembly. I started walking towards the office so that I could meet the rest of the student council when I felt eyes burning a hole in my back.

“That was a real nice stunt you pulled.” I hear a voice grimace from behind me. I could feel my heart stop in fright. I slowly turned around to see his eyes glaring at me.

“Nice to know that the preacher’s daughter has some ‘guts’. Just know that when I’m done with you, those ‘guts’ that just decided to come, I’m going to snatch them out of you and step on them. I hope you got your 15 seconds of fame in that cafeteria today.” He said through clenched teeth, venom dripping from each word he said as he ran his shoulder into mine walking past me.

I was suddenly starting to regret what I did today.

Mitchell’s POV

Never in my life has anyone had the courage to stand up to me. Not when I was in elementary pushing kids down on the playground, not in middle school when I made fun of every flaw I could find, and not in high school so far. So why the hell did little miss snob nose princess think she could get away with it? I grit my teeth and slam my locker closed. The hallway was already filling with other students who were making their way to the assembly. The same lame ass assembly we go to every year. I could skip it like I have every other time but I think I have something else in mind, something much more… productive.

The student body president for each grade is required to talk about exams and other useless stuff at the assembly so that means Brooklyn will have to give a speech about some stupid school related thing. I can make my move then, or I can drag this out a little, watch her squirm. I haven’t decided which would benefit me more, but I have until she gets on stage to figure it out.

I smirk to myself and silently commend my genius idea. There is no way she will ever think about doing something like the stunt she pulled in the cafeteria ever again. Ready or not tutor girl, here I come.












Brooklyn’s POV







I paced back and forth nervously as I waited for the principal to introduce me. I wanted to get this over with, the sooner I could leave school the better. Today has been way too crazy for my liking and I need some time to gather my thoughts and consider what my next move with Mitch would be. It was becoming very clear that we weren’t going to get through this semester without killing each other, and I am defiantly not going down without a fight.

“I would like to welcome your senior class president, Brooklyn Waters, to the stage!” Mr. Brown’s booming voice calls and I take a deep breath before walking out on stage. I had given plenty of speeches before and this was just like all of the others. I just had to smile, and not screw up on the words I wrote down; if I did that I would be just fine. I look out at the people I had been going to school with since first grade and I can’t help but feel a little nostalgic, this was our last year in school together, after it was over there is a slim chance I will see any of them again.

I clear my throat and look down at my note cards; I take a deep breath and try to ignore the nagging feeling in my stomach that something bad is going to happen.

“For most of us this will be the last year we get to relax, the last year we really have to be kids and not care about bills, or responsibilities, or other things adults are burdened with. So I can understand why your head probably isn’t in school right now. Your thinking about all of the great parties you’re going to go to this year, all of the dances, and prom,” I pause for the applause, and the feeling in my stomach gets stronger. “But just because you have a social life doesn’t mean you can’t keep your grades up.

“Most kids think that collages don’t care about senior year that its juts a blow off before collage, but that’s not true. The grades you make here can be the thing separating you from the career of your dreams. So I urge you to study and work hard to end th-,” as I’m talking I can’t help but feel eyes boring into mine. It’s close to the feeling of being watched through your window at night by some unknown creeper. I take a deep breath and let it out. Of course people are watching me, I’m giving a speech.

“The last year and h-hopefully the best year of m- our school careers.” I stutter over my sentence, unable to shake the feeling. Out of the corner of my eye I see a figure hop on stage and walk closer to me. I can easily determine it’s a boy by the way he is walking and his tall stature. The boy slowly comes into focus against the glare of the spotlight and as I start to recognize him my heart slams to a stop. What on earth did he think he was doing?

Mitch looks over at Mr. Brown and points as if a warning. “I know what you’re thinking Mr. B but this will only take a sec, so there is no need to call your rent-a-cops up here.” He turns to me with a devilish smirk on his face. This is it; he’s going to humiliate me in front of the whole school.

“Can I borrow this? Thanks love.” He says taking the mic before wrapping an arm around my waist. I want to pull away but my feet are nailed to the floor and it feels like my legs turned to cement. My heart starts beating at a mile a minute, anxious for him to just get on with it and stop prolonging my social down fall. “This girl right here, Brooklyn Waters, is an exceptionally rare breed of nerd. She not only has the brains but she seems to have miss congeniality in the bag. But what she doesn’t tell you is the exciting part!” he pauses for dramatic effect. I want to slap a piece of duct tape over his mouth; I would do anything to make him shut up. What could he possibly mean though?

“She wants all of you to believe that she is perfect, that she has a perfect life with a bright future, but let me tell you something! She is a fake! Without her little organizers and scented essays she would be a wreck. She’s just as insecure as anybody, and in fact she is secretly crushing on one of her best friends, but he is too dense to see it.” As he went on his voice picked up momentum and got louder.

The room was starting to spin and I feel like I’m going to puke. There is no way this is happening. “So let me ask you this, are you happy with the student body president you picked?” he asks in what I assume was the closing. But I wasn’t about to stay around and find out. I pry his arm off and run as coordinately as I can off the stage and out into the hallway. I couldn’t take all of the eyes on me anymore. All of the eyes who were judging me and picking me a part piece by piece.

I put my hands on my knees when I’m far enough down the hall from the auditorium to catch my breath. I felt light headed and my stomach was still clenching. Maybe McDonalds wasn’t a good idea after all. My palms start to sweat, and I try to wipe them off on my jeans. What’s wrong with me!? I have never had this problem before. The feeling of being watched comes back and gets worse; it’s so strong I can barely even think straight. I look up and see someone down the hall getting closer but my head is pounding too hard and I can’t focus enough to see a face.

I squeeze my eyes shut and try to regain control of this quickly escalating train wreck. My stomach starts to do flips and my heart feels like it’s about to beat right out of my chest. What in the world is wrong with me!? I grip the locker closet to me but I still feel my legs weakening. Spots start to form in front of my eyes. I look down the hall to call out to the stranger for help but it’s too late everything turns black.





----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------





“Brooklyn, honey wake up.” An angelic type voice calls, shaking me from my dreams. I force my eyes open and light floods in making my head scream out in pain. I squeeze them back shut.

“Mom?” I ask the voice, I’m sure my voice sounds horrible but at the moment all I wanted to know was where I was and how I got there. The last thing I remember was giving a speech.

“No, it Mrs. Becky the school nurse. How are you feeling dear?” Mrs. Becky asks. I want to tell her I’m fine but I don’t want to lie to the woman who sounds like an angel.

“I- my head hurts. What happened?” I ask as I try and push myself up while keeping my eyes closed so the evil bright light can’t assault my eyes again.

“You fainted in the middle of the hallway. Have you ever experienced a black out before?”

I crack an eye open and let it slowly adjust to the light, before opening the other. Did she just say I fainted? That couldn’t be possible, I felt just-… and then everything started coming back. My stomach doing flips and Mitch getting on stage and basically telling everyone I have a crush on Jayson. Oh my god did that really happen? Why couldn’t it have just been a bad dream?

“No, I don’t thin- no I have never passed out.” I reply confidently.

“That’s odd, because it seems the reason you fainted was a severe anxiety attack. Have you ever experienced one before?” I shake my head and she writes something down on her notepad just like an actual doctor would. “Well, there is a first for everything, I can’t say I don’t find this perplexing but I have seen it before and I believe you will be just fine. I called your parents and they should be here to get you soon. I don’t think you should drive until we are sure your stable.” With that she pats my legs and goes to help a freshman who wanders in with a bloody nose.

I lay my head against the wall and close my eyes again. I can’t believe I fainted in the hallway, but even more unbelievable is what Mitchell did. I have no idea how I was going to shake this off or make it looks like nothing. I sigh and squeeze the bridge of my nose. Why won’t this day end faster?

“OMG are you okay Brook! They wouldn’t let me leave the stupid assembly to check on you!” Hannah’s concerned voice breaks the silence and forces me to open my eyes again.

“Yeah I’m fine, the nurse said it was just an anxiety attack or something like that I’m sure I’ll be alright.” I say swinging my legs over the edge of the cot I was laying on. Hannah exams me closely before shrugging.

“I didn’t think you got those! I’m pretty sure you scared everyone half to death though! Jay and Ryan wanted to come with me to check on you but they had to go to some football meeting.” I perk up a little when I hear that Jay worried at all. Before I can play it off Hannah sees and smiles.

“I figured you would like that, I don’t see why you two don’t just date already.” She shrugs again and leans back in her chair. Everything in Hannah’s world was so simple and to the point. If only more people saw things the way she does.

“How did you even know I fainted if you were stuck in the assembly?” I ask slightly confused.

“Oh, well on of the guys from the football team saw you faint in the hallway and called the nurse. After he did that he texted Ryan and told him… speaking of Ryan, the guy that Mitch… um…. Said you had a crush on…. Wasn’t him was it?” she looks down at the ground not making eye contact. I can’t believe she would believe anything that jerk said for even a second. We have been friends forever and besides I couldn’t even imagine liking Ryan like that.

“Hannah really?! You honestly think I would do that to you? Ryan is like my brother. Mitch was just saying whatever his little brain could come up with. You know who I like already anyways.” I answer trying not to get too worked up. I was still a little light headed. She looks up and I can see the regret in her eyes.

“I’m sorry B, I know. I was just being stupid I guess. Forgive me?”

With her puppy dog eyes and pout I don’t think there was a way I couldn’t forgive her. I nod and her big smile comes back illuminating her whole face.

“So what did Mitch say to you in the hallway earlier?” she asks.

With all of the stuff that happened I had completely forgotten about his threat. I can’t say I was all too excited to be reminded though. I wish all of it would disappear and go back to how it was before I got called into the office. “He threatened to make my life hell basically because of what I did in the cafeteria. I guess the crap he pulled during the assembly was just step one.” She nods and twirls a piece of her hair like she wants to say something. I raise an eyebrow.

“What? Go on tell me Hannah!” I demand not liking it when I get left out of the loop.

“It’s just that word around school is Mitch plans to do a little more than make your life hell.” She whispers quietly. What on earth did that mean? Was he more pissed than I thought? I close my eyes and let my head fall back against the wall. Worst day ever.

Brooklyn’s POV



I stayed in the nurse’s office the whole day after that traumatic scene, afraid of what everyone must be saying and thinking about me. I couldn’t deal with it at this time, or ever. I just told the nurse that I was still having a headache from when I fell, and luckily, she had believed me. But when the bell that signaled the end of the school day had rang, I had no choice but to get up.

Missing two classes was not appropriate behavior for me and I knew I had to go to those classes and get my make up work immediately. I slid off the little bed and grabbed my bag heading for the nurse’s desk. Mrs. Becky was sitting there typing away on her keypad.

‘Umm, thank you so much Mrs. Becky. I really appreciate it and have a nice day.” I told her with a fake smile.

“You are very welcome Brooklyn. Try not to pass out in the hallways again, okay sweetie?” She said to me as if she was a parent telling her 5 year-old not to run in the street after the ball. I simply nodded and took her smile as a dismal to go.



When I got into the hallway there were people rushing out in crowds ready to go home and what not. I was happy that they were paying more attention to leaving then they were to me and I rushed to the few classes I had missed.



Right when I saw my AP Anatomy’s classroom door I quickened my paced and reached to open it. Before my hand could even get on the door knob to twist it, the door was already opening and before I knew it slammed into my head making me fall on my ass.



“Crap!” I groaned as I put my hand over the spot on my head that I’m pretty sure will have a lump at tomorrow morning. Why is every thing going wrong with me today? I swear whoever this was, was really going to hear how I felt about them.



“Oh god Brooke! Are you okay?” I heard a male voice say. I looked up at the voice and instantly all my anger towards him went away. All the pain that was in my forehead just went away and I suddenly forgot that I was laid out on the floor and that he just slammed a door into my head. Standing there was a very concerned looking Ryan holding his hands out for me to grab.



“Yeah…yeah I’m fine.” I said stuttering a little as my hands were placed in his. I could feel a smile tug the corners of my lips as he pulled me up and wrapped his arm around my waist effortlessly.



“Already passed out and now I’m knocking you down like a jerk.” He said more to his self than to me. I thought of what he said about me passing out and what not. He really wasn’t the blame for that or me getting knocked down. This was all Mitchell’s fault.



“Trust me; you’re not the jerk here.” I said to him shaking the thought of Mitchell out of my head. Everything that happened today was horrible and it’s bad enough that I have to go to his house after school. Let alone until exams are over!



“You look really stressed out Brooklyn, are you sure you’re alright?” He asked again making me look into his eyes. They were a nice brown color and I could feel them search through mine. I couldn’t believe how handsome Jay was.



“Yes I’m fine. I’m stressed to but hey that’s what high school does to you. As much as I would love to stay with you though, I have to run and get my homework before work starts.” I told him. I swore I saw a flash of sadness in his eyes but if it ever was there, it was gone now.



“Oh no need Brooks, I already got it for you.” He said rising up the arm that wasn’t wrapped around me and handed me some papers. It was my homework from my last to classes and the class work we did. I smiled widely.



“Oh my gosh, thanks Jay.” I said pulling him into a hug. It was warm and comfortable in his arms and I felt as if I could stay here forever.



“Uhmm!” Some one so rudely interrupted us. I turned towards the voice making it to where Jay was hugging me from behind. All my happiness had washed away as soon as I saw who the voice had belonged to. Standing the was Mitch with his hands stuffed in his pockets and an evil glared plastered on his face. I threw one right back at him.



“If you two love birds are done, I would like to leave now.” He said in an annoyed tone. Jayson scoffed from behind me.



“Then leave. What do we have to do with you going home? We’ve never stopped you before.” He said.



“First off, I wasn’t really talking to you, but since you just happen to grace your presence into our conversation let me show you the way out. Obviously I’m waiting for her. If you didn’t hear what she said in the cafeteria, I’ll tell you. She’s coming home with me you dip shit!” Mitch said calmly and with his voice thick with sarcasm. I couldn’t believe that he had just talked to Jayson like that. I had to stop this and quick.



“Look Jay, thanks so much for getting my homework and stuff for me. I really appreciate it and it was a sweet gesture.” I told him turning back towards him and kissing him on the cheek. Very bold of me but I was lost in his eyes and had to do. I tried to pull away but his grip on my waist tightened.



“I’ll call you tonight okay. Just to make sure that you’re okay. You know, after the fall and all of that.” He rambled on and I smiled at his cover up.



“I’d like that.” I said and he let me go then turned to leave. I waited until he had completely exited the hallway and fiercely turned back to Mitch who had a look of disgust on his face.



“Are you serious? After what you did to me at the assembly you couldn’t just let me have my moment?” I yelled in his face. He didn’t seem fazed.



“Not when you’re on my time. Now stop being so prissy and let’s go.” He said walking past me, but not forgetting to bump his shoulder onto mine.



“I am not being prissy!” I yelled losing my temper. He was really getting to me and this was only our first day meeting.



“Whatever, just come on. I’ve been waiting half an hour for you to come out. Drama queen much, you really had to stay in the nurse the rest of the day?” He said shaking his head. I kissed my teeth and just ignored him as I followed him out to the parking lot.



I was going to go to my car but I realized I didn’t know where he lived so I followed him to his car. Surprisingly he stopped at a personal bike rack. I couldn’t help the laugh that came from my mouth.



“What’s so funny?” He asked looking at me over his shoulder.



I couldn’t even answer his question due to my laughter. I was laughing to be rude but I was just surprised. You think that Mr. All Mighty would have some of the finer things in life and even have a chauffeur. When I started to control myself I looked up at him to see his face in an annoyed expression. My laughing had stopped but was replaced with a smirk.



“Nothing I just didn’t expect you to have….a bike!” I answered my laughs coming back even worse then before. Not only did he look more annoyed, but he looked insulted at my response. That just made me laugh even harder.



“First off, cut the laughing crap. Its way more then needed and I don’t want to hear it. Second, this isn’t just any bike. It’s a Kaws- trek Madone. It cost more then you’re worth so before you try to shoot insults, check your data. I can buy several of the car you have with the money it took to buy this bike.” He threw at me coldly making my laughter die. I could see he was now satisfied with my new reaction when lips turned into a cold smirk.



“Either that or daddy didn’t care enough to get you real wheels.” I said, my voice thick with attitude. I was trying to send hurt towards him like he just sent to me but his face just went blank. His eyes stared into mine expressionless. I didn’t know what to do. Move, blink, look away…breath? Did my comment strike an invisible nerve I didn’t know was there? Was his dad a soft topic for “him?



He didn’t even reply to me. He just reached into his pocket and took out a key. He bent down to unlock the chain that attached ‘Madone’ to the rail and unhooked it. He then put the key and chain in his bag, took out a helmet and got on his bike.



“Be at my house in 20 minutes. If you’re late you’ll regret it.” He said throwing a balled up paper at me and taking off before I could say anything. I can’t believe he just did that. Not only did he just leave rudely but he threw that paper at me as if it was trash and I was the trash. On a scale of one to ten, that insult is a nine.



Mumbling incoherent words I reached down and grabbed the paper, then unraveled it. On the inside was an address which I’m pretty sure was his. Shaking my head at the unfamiliar place, I turned and headed towards my car.



I had been driving for fifteen minutes already and my GPS system was telling me I had five more minutes until I reached his house. That was just great right? I’m pretty sure he calculated all of this knowing that it we would take me exactly twenty minutes to get there and one minute to park making me late.



He was just so devious that I’m pretty sure no matter how stupid that would be, he would still think of something like that. I turned down the last rode on the GPS, which should be his. It said that his house was the last one on the block. I’m pretty sure that it was taking me longer to get there because my eyes kept getting stuck on each house I passed by. They were absolutely beautiful. Each one looking as if it was pulled out of a dream home magazine. Most of them were two stories or more with U- driveways and waterfalls, but each one still had its unique ways.



If I had thought that the other houses were the best, I was the best, I lied to myself. Mitchell’s house was by far the best one on this block. It was a huge five story house with one of the most gorgeous garden I had ever seen. There were statues and waterfalls and a large steel gate blocking me from getting inside. I pulled up to the intercom thingy and pressed the buzzer. I swear I thought these were only in dramatic rich movie scenes.



“Who might this be?” Said a stern voice that I recognized to be Mitchell’s father.



“Good afternoon Mr. Maxwell it’s me; Brooklyn.” I said into the intercom.



“The gates will be opened shortly.” He said. I nodded to myself and turned towards them, five seconds later they were opening wide enough for me to make my way through. I drove up the driveway and parked behind the all too familiar ‘Madone bike’. I took the key out of the ignition and got out of my car. As I was walking to the front door with the bag of necessities on my arm, I stopped when I saw Mitchell standing in front of the door looking at me but pointing at his wrist watch.



“Would you look at that, Ms. Perfect is late. That’s all too bad for her.” He said in an amused tone. It didn’t take a genius to know that this study session wasn’t going to be fun or easy for me. In fact, I’m pretty sure it was going to make me want to quit

Brooklyn’s POV





I slowly pulled the key out of the ignition and got the bag- with all the tools needed- from the backseat. I pulled it over my shoulder and I slowly struggled to open the car door since I also had folders and binders in my arms. I was already late, no use in rushing now. Besides, he deserves to have to wait after everything he has done.

I closed the door shut and pressed the lock button on my key. Then I started walking towards Mitchell dreading what he was going to do. He looked at me with clear annoyance on his face and pulled his ‘all mighty bike’ up from the ground. “You would think that if some one was late, they would try to at least be there as soon as possible.” He said as he hooked his bike up to the bike rack in front of his house. It had at least seven other bike on it. I just shook my head and walked onto the steps leading to the front door.

“Oh, is that right? Then why don’t you follow your own advice everyday when you come to school. You always seem to be late; showing up during or a little before nutrition.” I said in a bored tone as he caught up to me. He looked at me and raised his eyebrow as he ran to the door.

“It’s nice to know that you know exactly when I come to school. Note the sarcasm, it actually isn’t. It’s kind of stalker-ish if you ask me.” He said laughing to himself as he unlocked the door and left it open for me to enter. I let out a dry, sarcastic laugh as I walked in and closed the door with my foot behind me.

“It’s really not hard to find things out when everyone is talking about the year behind delinquent. Anyway, you seemed to just be making your way here yourself so you really can’t speak upon me.” I told him matter of factly as I followed him through the house’s walkway. The inside of this house was extravagantly beautiful; from the floor to the ceiling. He made his way to the stairs and we started walking up to the next floor.

“Is that what you guys are calling me these days? I actually like that.” He said looking over his shoulder at me a smirk. I rolled my eyes at him and he chuckled.

“Oh and regardless of when I got here, I said that you have to be here within twenty minutes, not me.” He said putting emphasis on the ‘you’. I scoffed at his comment and just shook my head not bothering to reply to his ignorance. We finally made it up the stairs. It seemed as if it was fifty of them- mine at home only has fifteen- and he also had another set of stairs on the other side to go up to another floor.

“Wait here.” He said as he disappeared into one of the three hallways. I let out a sigh and walked towards the wall. This bag was killing my shoulder and those stairs tired my legs out since I wasn’t at all prepared for that many. As I waited I let my eyes observe the second floor. Down the first hallway were several rooms and cabinets. At the top of the wall there was a label for the hallway saying: Guest Section. My jaw literally almost dropped to the ground. They have a long hallway with about five rooms just for guest, unbelievable.

I looked down the other hallway to see that’s where the other set of stairs were. Down the third hallway was a label that said: Mitchell’s Room. Wow, a whole hallway just for his room. No wonder this boy acts the way he acts, he’s spoiled to the core and basically sitting on riches.

I had already been waiting for Mitchell for at least ten minutes now and I felt like my shoulders were about to give out on me. I took it upon myself to walk down Mitchell’s hallway since I figured his room is where we would be studying. The hallway was narrow and had a sharp turn as soon as you entered it. I turned and saw a room and the door was already opened. I walked in and to my surprise his room was actually pretty decent. I stopped at the entrance when I heard footsteps from behind me.

“What are you doing?” Mitchell asked coldly. I turned to him and he was looking at me like I was crazy.

“You were taking forever so I figured I would find my own way to your room.” I said in a ‘duh’ tone.

“Why?” He asked me as if I was dumb.

“Isn’t this where we’re studying?” I asked him.

“No! Take it why I told you to stay put. I swear people like you are so smart they’re stupid; getting the simplest things wrong. Stop means go to them.” He said rambling on and on as he went back to the main way. I stormed after him feeling completely insulted by his comment.

“And I swear that people like you are just too dumb to be smart!” I said harshly.

“Yeah that’s true, which is why I have to be stuck with people like you!” He said even harsher then mine was. I stopped in my tracks and so did he. He turned to face me and his expression was blank. Mine however was turned into a screw.

“Are you coming so we can get this over with? Or let me guess, your going to quit now yeah?” He asked in a humorous tone.

I was so closed to actually quitting. I was on the edge and he was basically pushing me. I mean, if this was the first day just imagine how all the other days would be. He was just pure evil in my eyes and I couldn’t stand it. Then I thought back to me and Hannah’s conversation at nutrition. I can’t quit. I was assigned this job and I was definitely going to finish it. ‘Si Se Puede’ I yelled in my head.

“Lead the way.” I said with a smirk wiping his from his face. He stared at me with curiosity until he finally turned around and led me up the stairs.









“So if ‘A’ equals negative forty-six, then what does ‘B’ equal?” I ask for what feels like the hundredth time. We sat in the game room on the third floor using the pool table as a make shift desk, and two bar stools as chairs. I tap the end of my pencil against the wood frame of the table impatiently while I wait for Mitch to slowly go through the steps I showed him.

“You know what? I don’t give a crap what B equals to be honest. And why did they even pick the letter B? What’s so special about B? Why not pick D or K?” Mitch questions as he leans back studying me. I don’t see why it mattered to him what letter they picked, and to be honest I was getting tired of him trying to stall every five minutes. If he would just answer the freaking question we could both move on with our lives.

“I don’t know why they picked those letters but to be perfectly honest I don’t think it matters; now would you please answer the stupid problem so we can be done!?” I demand crossing my arms over my chest. I had other homework to do and I had to finish a book for the collage essay I was planning on writing to get some extra credit, I so did not have time for this.

Mitch looks down at the page and then back at me before scribbling some more stuff down and pushing the page towards me. I look over the page and then back up at him. “You realize you just wrote the whole alphabet backwards and wrote down some random numbers don’t you? This is definitely not the answer. Do it again.” I say shoving the paper back, my patience growing even thinner. He leans back in his chair and crosses his arms over his chest, mocking my own position. His eyes light up like he just had a brilliant idea that deserved a light bulb over the head like in all the cartoons.

“I have an idea. Why don’t you play me for it? If I win were done for the day. If you win I finish this and two more pages tonight for homework.” He says raising his eyebrow.

“We don’t have time for you childish games Mitchell.” I said shaking my head.

“Is it that we don’t have time or that Ms. Prissy just knows this is the one thing she isn’t perfect at?” He says giving me a cocky grin. I really just wanted to wipe it off his face. I hadn’t really ever played pool but I had seen it done and it seemed simple enough. Just had to hit the colored balls in the hole right? It looked so easy I bet my cat could do it. I sit up and stick my hand out to shake.

“You’re on.”

I couldn’t wait to see the look on his face when he got beat by a girl and had to do extra work. We move the stuff off of the table and push the bar stools back to make room. He goes over to the rack on the wall and grabs to sticks, and a wooden triangle. He hands one stick to me and arranges the balls in the triangle before picking it up, the pool balls stay in the perfect triangle shape.

“Do you want to break?” he asks leaning on the pool stick. What does break mean? Maybe there was more to this than I thought. My mind starts to run through all the definitions of break and how they could possibly apply to this game but none make since. I take a deep breath to calm my nerves and shake my head no. It would be easier for him to do whatever it is he was talking about. I watch him walk with ease to one end of the table; he leans over and sets the white ball down. I take notes on the way he’s standing and the way he pulls back the pool stick and angles it. Mitch effortlessly pulls back and then rams the ball sending it flying into all of the other ones with a loud whack they scatter around the table. He stands up straight with a satisfied grin. “It’s your turn tutor girl. It’s still and open table I didn’t make anything in.”

I walk over to where the white ball had rolled to a stop and scan the table for what I hope to be an easy target. When I spot one I copy him and to my luck the ball I wanted sinks straight into the hole. I jump up and can’t help but be a little surprised and pleased with myself. Now it was my turn to smirk. Mitch scowls. “Beginners luck.” He huffs.

“How do you know I’ve never played before?” I ask surprised.

“Well for one the way you were holding the que stick, and secondly the way you lined up the shot. Someone who has played before wouldn’t have gone for that ball, but the clear shot to the left pocket.” I raise an eyebrow at him but ignore his comment and move to where the ball went. I do what I did last time but it doesn’t go as well and the white ball misses everything. I frown and stand up straight. Mitch grins. “I told you so. Now watch how the pro does it.” I roll my eyes and watch him go through the same moves he did before, but making not one but two balls in. he doesn’t say anything before moving to the next and hitting that one in to. I just stand there and watch as he pretty much clears the table. He’s knocked in five of his six by the time he’s done.

“I’m starting to think you picked this game because you knew I wasn’t going to win.” I say as I walk around the table. There was no earthly way I was going to win this game. I start to lean over when I feel Mitch lean against me.

“Here let me show you the right way to do this.” He says sounding sort of amused and annoyed at the same time. My whole body tenses and as he guides my hands and fixes my arms. His hands were really warm but not the so warm its gross kind. “Alright now just pull straight back and hit the white ball as hard as you think you need too to get the ball where into that pocket.” He backs up and for a second I miss the weight of his body, but only for a second before I remind myself who this person is and how much I hate him. But I did find it odd how gentle he was when he showed me what to do. I shake my head and clear my thoughts before doing as instructed. When the ball sinks into the pocket as expected I can’t help but smile. I repeat it with the next three almost four balls before I miss. “Wow you’re a quick learner.” He says sounding genuinely impressed. I don’t reply just watch as he lines up his next shot… and misses. There was no way he would have missed that shot. It was a straight forward no way to miss kind of shot. He just shrugs and steps back.

“Something tells me you missed that on purpose.” I say as I sink in another ball; only two more to go and then the eight ball.

“No why would I do that? I don’t want to do the extra work remember?” he says obviously like I was dumb for even considering he would let me win. I glare at the white ball and pretend it’s his face before smacking the next ball in.

“You might not have a choice. You might not get another turn to redeem yourself. “I hit the next one in with relative ease and do it again for the other. I look at where the eight ball is and take a step back. How on earth was I going to hit that into any of the pockets? It looks like he might win after all. I frown and call the left corner pocket with full expectation of missing it. I close my eyes and hit it. I hold my breath and open one eye at a time. “Did it go in?” I ask looking at the table.

“What do you mean did it go in?!” he asks like only an idiot wouldn’t know the answer.

“I had my eyes closed!” I snap. His jaw opens slightly like he’s going to say something but then he closes it.

“Your eyes were closed when you did that?! No way.” He says suspiciously. I just nod. “Well it went in. looks like you win.”

“Your still not going to do the extra work are you?” I ask with a sigh. He smirks.

“Nope I sure don’t plan on it!” he says grabbing a drink from the mini fridge and tosses me one. I sigh; I should have known he wouldn’t have done it anyways. I twist the water open and take a sip.

“Why are you being so nice to me?” I ask out of curiosity. Sure he was still annoying and cocky but he wasn’t being a total d-bag as he had been at school or when I first got here. His back was to me so I couldn’t see his facial reaction to the question but he shoulders did tense. Maybe I shouldn’t have asked. I hear him clear his throat but he still doesn’t turn.

“I’m not being nice to you tutor girl, don’t get your hopes up. This doesn’t mean we are friends, or even acquaintances. In fact it doesn’t mean anything at all. So don’t get your granny panties in a bunch… actually I think it’s time for you to leave.” He doesn’t look at me the whole time he talks. But all of the familiar coldness is back in his voice and his words make me want to hit him in the face.



He acted like I wanted to be friends with him when just the thought made me want to laugh. No one could be friends with a heartless trust fund baby. I stand up knocking the bar stool over and grab my stuff. The faster I got out of this house the better. I walk out of the room and slam the door closed behind me. I take off down the hallway I thought we had gotten here from. It took me almost ten minutes to find the stairs, but when I did I could navigate back to the front of the house.



I threw my stuff in the passenger seat and looked up at the huge house one more time before getting in. From the third floor window of what I assume to be Mitch’s room there a brief flash of movement before the curtains are moving back into place. I glare at them for a second before getting in my car and nearly speeding to get away from that stupid place.





When I had completely calmed down and was breathing at a normal human rate, I realized I had made my way home. I was shocked myself; I don’t even remember how I got here. I guess when you’re angry your mind just works at its own pace. I shrugged my shoulders and grabbed all my things then getting out of the car.



I pulled out the house key separating it from my car key and unlocked the door. When I stepped in the house I quickly dropped all of my things on the table in the hallway. That bag, those books, and those steps were killing my arms and legs.



“Oh Brooklyn, you’re back. How was work?” My mom asked coming out of the kitchen with a apron on and flower on her face. That’s when it hit me. I slammed my hand on my forehead in frustration.



“Oh God I forgot about work!” I yelled to myself. I was so wrapped up in making my tutoring sessions with Mitchell that I had forgot about going to work. I really hope that my boss, Carolyn, will understand.



“Brooklyn Marie Waters how could be so irresponsible enough to forget that you had a paying job!” I mother yelled to me in a loud manner. ‘Exactly how you can forget to pick up Bruce from school’ I thought to myself. Oh God Bruce!

“I’m sorry mom; I got a new task from my principal today that involved a little after school time.” I explained to her as I looked through the living and kitchen.



“What are you doing Brooklyn?” she asked me putting a hand on her hip and looking at me as if I was crazy.



“Where is Bruce?” I asked her. Her face went white and she put her hand over her mouth. I shook my head and passed by her grabbing my key off the table.



“I forgot to get him. Your father had told me to make dinner for some of his co-workers and I was doing that. I don’t know where my mind had gone.” She said as she started pacing. ‘How could you be so irresponsible enough to forget to pick up your own son’ I thought in my head as I opened the door.



“Excuse me young lady but who you think you are talking too?” She yelled as she started walking towards me. Oops, did I say that aloud?



“No one mom. I’m about to go pick up Bruce and explain myself to Carolyn, I’ll se at dinner, I love you bye.” I said giving her a fake smile as I kissed her on the cheek and then rushed to my car. Immediately I sped off the direction of Bruce’s school.









Bruce looked up at the car as I pulled up and lazily picked up his backpack, throwing it over his shoulder. I sighed sadly, this isn’t the first time this has happened. I would feel completely free to pick Bruce up after school but with work, it’s hard to.



He opened the passenger door and got in slamming it. He then forcefully put on his seatbelt and threw his backpack in the backseat crossing his arms. I guess he was giving me the silent treatment because he just looked forward with a screw on his face.



“I’m sorry Bruce. I don’t know why mom keeps forgetting that everyday you get out of school at 3:45.” I said shaking my head. He let out a sigh.



“Why don’t you just pick me up Brooke? I mean some days she’s here, other days I’m always the last person to leave the school.” He explained to me sadly as he leaned his head on the window.



“I know Bruce and I would but I have to work to save up for you and my college tuition. You know that we need the money.” I told him seriously and he nodded.



“I know I just wished she wasn’t so into dad that she actually remembered she had two kids.” He said. I smiled sadly and leaned over and kissed his forehead.



“I would never forget about you Bruce.” I told him. Bruce had now gotten to an age where he understood what was going on with our family. He knew that dad wasn’t always around anymore, and that mom was going through her personal problems, and I was just trying to stay strong for us. There wasn’t anyway that they could hide it anymore.









“You don’t know how sorry I am Carol, it will never happen again I swear.” I told her. She just smiled at me with amusement.



“It’s fine Brooklyn. It’s the first time it has happened and after everything that has happened to you today I completely understand.” She told me. I let out a breath of relief. I was so happy that I had a boss like Carolyn, some one that understood me and showed empathy. I had told her the whole story of what happened and she laughed with me, and cried with me at the sad parts. Not literally cried but you get it.



I had put the last book from the rack on the shelf. I worked in a book store not to far from school everyday from 3-6. I don’t know how I’m going to be working with Mitchell after school and coming to work at the same time. I guess I had to talk to Mr. Maxell about that.



“Okay Carol, that’s all of them. I’ll see you tomorrow okay?” I asked and she nodded happily.



“Bye Brooke, bye Bruce!” She yelled after us as we left the store and got into the car.





We had made it to the house and I was dreading going inside. I didn’t want to deal with my mom questioning me or deal with his co-workers that I knew were here because there was no more space in the driveway. I parked the car in front of the house and Bruce and I made our way out of the car.

“Whenever dad comes back does he have to bring people?” Bruce asked more to himself in annoyance. I chuckled as I opened the door and we walked in. I closed it and locked it, and then I grabbed all my things from off the table. I was about to go upstairs when I heard my mom’s voice.



“Oh Brucey, I’m so sorry love. Are you okay?” She asked him as she pulled him into an over dramatic hug and kissed his forehead. He just nodded. She smiled and let him go.



“Okay, go freshen up and get ready for dinner we have guests. Oh and Brook, we need to talk so you too.” That was all she said to me as she went back into the kitchen. I simply rolled my eyes and went to my room. Closing my door I set my things on my bed and laid down. I was so tired after everything that had went on today and just wanted to rest. Tomorrow, I’m pretty sure, was going to be way more hectic.

Just then I felt something buzzing on the side of me. I turned to look and it was my phone blinking. Some one had just text me. I sat up and reached over to grab it. I unlocked it and it showed that I had four missed calls and seven new text messages. I can’t believe that throughout the whole day I didn’t even bother to look at my phone.

I saw that the calls were from different people: Hannah, Ryan, Jay, and another from Hannah. I can only imagine the crazy voicemails she had left me. I cleared the calls and went to read the text messages.

Hannah: Hey, are you ignoring me??? I’ve been tryna call u

Hannah: Okay so that’s how your gonna be :/

Hannah: Don’t make me come to your house, I….know….where….you….live!

Ryan: Hey Brooks, what’s going on? Hannah’s freaking out like the usual :p

Jay: Brooke, I thought you wanted me to call you? Did you make it home?

Jay: Brooklyn? Just call me when you can yeah?

Jeffrey: What’s up Brookey 8)

I laughed at the text that Hannah sent me. She could be so weird sometimes. I instantly went to reply to her not wanting to torture her anymore.

Me: Sorry Han, my phone was on vibrate in my bag, I’ll call after dinner and give u some dets, we have guest -_-

Then I replied to Ryan, Jay and Jeffrey.

Me: Everything’s fine, I just text her. My phone was on vibrate

Me: Hey Jay, sorry my phone was on vibrate in my bag, I’ll call you later tonight kay?

Me: Jeffo!!! Lol hey

When I was done I put my phone on the charger and quickly went to get out something to wear to dinner. I ended up picking a long sleeved blouse and some nice jeans. I then went to go take a quick refreshing shower to relax me a little more. When I was out, I threw my wet hair into a slick ponytail and creamed my face.

I walked back into my room checking my phone one last time before I had to go downstairs. It was 7:43 and so only Hannah, and Jay had replied to me.

Hannah: You better, you had me worried L Call me as soon as you finish chewing :D, and guests suck :/ hahaha

Jay: Sure, I’ll be waiting!

I smiled to myself at Jay’s reply and then made my way downstairs. The aroma of mash potatoes, string beans, and steak instantly entered my nostrils and warmed my stomach. I was going to eat really good tonight. I walked into the dinning room to see Bruce, my dad and two men already sitting down.

“Hello, I’m Brooklyn nice to meet you two.” I said smiling as I shook their hands and then sitting down. A normal routine I went through every time we had guests.

“Wow Ben, your kids have very good manners.” Said one of them chuckling a little, my dad joined in and sent me a wink. I smiled at him and folded my hands on my lap.

“As they should.” said my mom happily as she came in with a final dish putting it on the table. They chuckled more and I let out a fake giggle. This was a big show. Thirty more minutes of this dinner I had to sit through and then I could call Jayson. That’s all I was thinking about right now.

Brooklyn’s POV



I woke up this morning and couldn’t be any happier. Not only did I sleep really well last night, but before that, I had one of the best conversations with Jay ever. After thirty more minutes of that dreaded dinner, I had hurried up to my room calling Hannah and catching her up on yesterday’s drama. She gave me so many laughs and was I knew she was really crazy.

After I had finished my conversation with her, I hung up and just as I was about to call him he called me. That made me smile and it didn’t feel like a coincidence, it felt like destiny. Anyway, we talked about so many things and I was just blushing and smiling the whole time. He told me that he had something important to ask me, but he wanted to wait until we were in person. Now I was just filled with anxiety as I drove to Hannah’s house.



“How was this morning?” I asked her as she got into the car with a blank expression. She was wearing her cheerleading outfit; they had a pep rally today during lunch.

“One of the best, he was passed out on the couch drunk.” She said sarcastically. I shrugged my shoulders as I started driving into the direction of school.

“It’s better then yelling and screaming right?” I asked. She didn’t reply with words, instead she just nodded letting out a sigh. Sometimes I really felt her. Her dad was not a nice person and even though she was his only daughter he didn’t care.

“Well have you talked to Ryan?” I asked quickly trying to change the subject. She instantly smiled. Talking or even thinking about Ryan made Hannah smile and feel special. They were really a lovely couple and really in love.

“Oh my gosh he is so sweet. He wants to take me out this weekend. I swear every date seems like the best one, it’s always something different.” She said grinning like a little girl.

“That’s good. Guess what?” I asked with a smirk on my face. She turned to me and her eyes grew wide.

“Jayson said that he has something very important to talk to me about today.” I said excitedly trying to not to squeal. That didn’t stop Hannah from doing so though.

“Oh my gosh! When did he tell you this?” She asked.

“He called me last night. We talked for hours about anything and everything. He is so sweet and funny.” I said smiling widely. Hannah squealed again clapping her hands together. I laughed at her childish ways. This is why she was my best friend.

“If I didn’t know any better, I would say he wanted to ask you out.” She said sounding really confident. I shook my head no.

“No, it’s too soon.” I said as if pointing out the obvious.

“Too soon? Are you crazy? You guys have known each other since high school. He’s lucky it isn’t too late.” She said somewhat seriously. I nodded at her taking in what she was saying. It was sort of true. I have had a crush on Jay for a while and I thought I had dropped a few hints her and there. I also hope that what she said about him asking wanting to ask me out was true as well.

Pretty soon we had made it to school. I parked in the school parking lot and we made our way out of my car. With our arms linked Hannah and I walked down the hallway to our lockers. Standing there was Ryan, Jeffrey and Jayson. Hannah nudged me gently and winked. I shook my head laughing and we were already standing in front of them.

“Hey guys!” We said cheerfully in unison. I put my combination my locker and opened it taking out my English and Calculus book.

“Hey ladies, how’s your morning going?’ Jeffrey asked pulling on his backpack straps. I smiled at him.

“It’s great so far. What about yours?” I asked him.

“It’s good I guess.” He said shrugging his shoulders. I nodded. I then gave them each an individual hug first Ryan then Jeffrey and last but not least Jayson. Our hug lasted a little longer then the others. Only a half millisecond but it felt like longer to me. \

“Hey babe, remember we had to go somewhere to do something together this morning.” Hannah said to Ryan winking on the low. I looked at her suspiciously. Ryan looked like he was thinking and then shook his head.

“No, I don’t think-” before he could finish Hannah had punched his shoulder. He looked at her like she was crazy and she made a little signal pointing towards Jayson and I. He then got what she was trying to imply and his eyes grew wide.

“Oh yeah, I do remember. Guys we’ll see you later. Hannah and I have something really…important to do before class starts.” He said weakly. Hannah nodded and smiled.

“Actually Jeffrey has to do it too. Come on guys. See you later Brooke and Jay!” She yelled pulling Ryan and a confused Jeffrey down the hall leaving Jayson and I in an awkward silence. I laughed uneasily trying to get rid of the awkwardness.

“That Hannah is something else don’t you think?” He said with a wide grin. It almost made my knees weak and all I could do was nod.

“Well since it’s just us two, how about I ask you something?” He asked.

“Umm, of course you can. Shoot!” I said anxiously. Just then the bell decided to go off. I mentally cursed myself and wondered why we couldn’t have come at least five minutes earlier to school today.

“Or we could talk at nutrition and I could just walk you to your class.” He said running his hand threw his short black hair. I let out a sigh and nodded. I picked my books up off the ground and started walking in the direction of my class when he stopped me.

“Let me get those for you.” He said taking them out of my arms effortlessly. I smiled at him.

“Thanks Jayson, how sweet of you.” I said. He walked me all the way to my English class as we shared a comfortable silence. When we got there he went in and set my books on my desk and left the class with a wink. I knew that I was blushing as I took my seat. Some of the girls were looking at me with jealous eyes only making me blush more. When the final bell rang our teacher walked in.

“Okay class, turn to page 365 and read all the way to 390 answering questions 1-25. There will be a quiz on this tomorrow at the beginning of class.” He said. The class groaned at the amount of work he had assigned. I on the other hand just opened my book and got to reading.

It only took me about 30 minutes to finish reading and answering all the questions. I answered them with at least on paragraph a piece 7-10 sentences making sure to be very specific about my answer. I closed me book, named dated my paper and then got up to turn it in. On my way there I could here the class murmuring things like ‘she’s done already’ ‘she always finishes fast’ etc. It’s true, I do complete my work in a timely manner but they don’t have to talk about it every time.

“Here you go Mr. Bradley.” I said with a small smile handing him my 3 sheets of papers with my 25+ answers on it.

“I went ahead and did 26-50 knowing that that would be our next assignment.” I said.

“That’s really good Brooklyn. I hope you do well on tomorrow’s test. You always do. I guess you do what ever you need to do silently for the rest of the class period.” He said chuckling and getting out a red pen getting ready to grade my work. I nodded and went back to my seat.

I got my calculus homework from out of my bag and went over it. I made sure that every answer was understandable and correct. Before I knew the bell had rang. People were getting up and turning in their papers while I gathered my things and went to walk out of the classroom.

“If you remember all of this, you will pass that test with flying colors!” Mr. Bradley called out to me. I smiled to myself and went to my next class.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sat down at our usual table in the cafeteria for nutrition. I had bought two blueberry muffins and a brown sugar poptart. I was sitting next to Hannah and in front of Jeffrey. I said hey to everyone at our table and started eating one of my muffins.

“So what happened when we left?” Hannah asked on the side of me.



“Nothing really, the bell had rang so he just walked me to class carrying my books. He said that we will talk during nutrition.” I explained to her wiping my mouth with the napkin. She started grinning.

“Aww, he carried your books? How sweet, and would you look at that here he is now.” She whispered pointing towards the direction Jayson was walking in. I almost choked on my food when I looked up and he sent a wink my way.

“Breathe girlie. You can’t die before he asks you out.” Hannah said laughing and turning her attention back to Ryan. I shook my head at her and swallowed the last piece of muffin. He had came and sat down right next to me. I grinned at him.

“Hey Jayson, what’s up?” I asked.

“Nothing much, how’s your day going so far?”

“Oh, it’s good. Calculus and English are the easiest. It’s Medical Terminology that gets my brain cells flowing.” I said rambling on and on due to me being nervous. He chuckled.

“Yeah you’re right. I’m happy we have that class together. You know what they say; two great minds are perfect together.” He said making me blush.

“Well I always thought it was two great minds think a like but I’m pretty sure I like yours better.” I said making the both of us laugh.

“You’re really funny, and don’t forget pretty Brooke.” He said touching my shoulder with his fingers and showing his pearly white teeth. I couldn’t help but feel like another pair of eyes were watching me. I tried to ignore it but I was feeling the eyes burning a whole into my back. I broke my eye contact with Jay to look around and they landed right on the devil himself.

Mitchell was watching us with a glare. He was sitting at the table with a bunch of his little clique and a girl on his lap. I scoffed at him. Jayson followed my gaze.

“Is he bothering you Brooke?” He asked. I quickly shook my head no and turned my attention back to him.

“Not at all, but wasn’t there something you had to ask me earlier?” I asked him not wanting to prolong this any longer. My anxiety was about to explode.

“Oh yeah, I probably should ask you this before we get interrupted again.” He said. I nodded at him.

“Yeah that’s true; I don’t think we would have any disruptions right now. Shoot!” I said eagerly. He let out a deep chuckle that made my knees weak every time.

“Okay, well I was just wondering if maybe you would like to-”

“Look what we have here, Brooklyn.” said that devious voice from behind me. I gave him a cold glare. I guess I spoke to soon because once again Jayson was interrupted before he could ask me out. I’m pretty sure that’s what he was going to do this time.

“What do you want Mitchell?” asked a very annoyed Jayson.

“So Brooklyn, you’re coming to my house after school right? Yesterday was fun, I learned a lot about that wild side of you.” He said not acknowledging Jayson and sending me a wink. I gasped at what he just said. He took something out of what happened yesterday and made it into something that didn’t happen. How could he say something like that? I was speechless and I’m pretty sure my jaw was touching the ground.

“You know what, I’ll just talk to you later okay Brook.” Jayson said getting up from the table. Oh God I hope he didn’t get the wrong idea from what Mitch just said. Before I could tell him no or try to explain he was already walking to another table. It made it even worse that it was the cheerleading/ jock table; meaning Macy was at that table.

I slammed my hand on my forehead at my horrible luck. I swear Mitchell was just a demon child. He had nothing better to do then to try and embarrass me, and get me angry. All the while he was just laughing.

“Are you seriously laughing right now?” I asked him angrily.

“Of course I am. That was hilarious, did you here how I worded that?” He asked stuffing his hands in his pockets.

“You are such an immature pest. Why don’t you go back over there to your little play toy.” I said getting very irritated. He sent me a smirk and looked over there towards the girl.

“Oh you noticed her yeah? Well I think I might take your advice and do that, but really though, my house after school. Don’t wait for me, I’ll meet you there.” He said slowly backing up. I smacked my lips at him and folded my arms. Why can’t I have something better to do with my time? That’s when I remembered.

“Hey Mitch!” I called with a smirk. He turned towards me with a questionable look.

“Actually you won’t be seeing me after school. I do have a job I have to go to, job that I missed yesterday wasting my time trying to teach you.” I spat at him. He face had a sudden change that I couldn’t quite get because he had quickly changed to an evil smirk.

“We’ll see if you don’t miss another day.” He said and then coolly walked back to his table wrapping his arm around the girl. I was so frustrated by him.

“Aww babes, how do you deal with that?” Jeffrey said trying to hide his grin. I glared at him playfully and he laughed.

“It’s okay, you’ll live.” He said getting up with all his things since the bell had rang. I let out a deep sigh and started gathering my things as well. My next class was medical Terminology with Jayson and I hope he would let me explain Mitchell’s immature ways.

“I’ll see you guys later. I have to tutor the idiot at lunch.” I said shaking my head. They all laughed and nodded as I parted ways with them and made my way to class. I had got there three minutes before the bell and quickly took a seat at the table I usually sit at with Jay. He came in a little later and took a seat next to me. He sent a weak smile my way and I returned it with a cheerful one getting ready to give my long explanation.

“Look Jayson, do not pay attention to him. He did that just to irritate you. I actually tutor him after school because the principal asked me to.” I said to him. He listened to everything I said and when I was done he was looked surprised.

“So you guys aren’t doing anything….active?” He questioned. I laughed at his wording and quickly shook my head.

“Of course I’m not. I’m not doing anything ‘active’ with anyone actually.” I said trying to clear my name completely.

“Oh that’s good. I guess since I know you’re available I should ask you this now.” He said. My anxiety was once again building up. I definitely know that he is about to ask me out. I have been waiting for this.

“Excuse me, Brooklyn!” yelled the teacher. I snapped my head forward meeting my eyes with Ms. Cadres.

“Yes?” I asked frantically.

“You’re wanted in the principal’s office. Here take this pass.” She said waving a paper in front of mine. I nodded and gave a fake smile. On the inside I was raging. I looked at Jayson apologetically. He gave a small chuckle and said it was fine as I grabbed the pass and rushed to the principal’s office.


This was the second time this week that I have been called to the principal’s office and even though it has been for nothing bad, I still hate the feeling. I waltzed into the office saying hi to all of the workers and everything. Ms. Adams directed me into Mr. Brown’s room and I thanked her. I closed the door behind me and faced Mr. Brown and was surprised by who else I saw.

Sitting across from Mr. Brown was no other then Mitchell Maxwell and for reason I felt like de ja vu! Leave it to him to interrupt me being asked out not once but twice. For probably the hundredth time today I let out a sigh and took the seat next to Mitchell.

“Hi Mr. Brown, how may I help you?” I asked him.

“Hello Brooklyn, actually I don’t know how you can help you. I’m surprised to know that for the very first time I have asked for your and you have quit on me.” He said sounding very disappointed. I was shocked by the words that were coming out of his mouth.

“Wait, where are you getting all of this false information? Never once did I say I was going to quit tutoring Mitchell.” I told him seriously. He then turned his attention to Mitchell raising his eyebrow.

“What? She told me that she won’t be coming to tutor me after school because she has more important jobs to do. If she’s so responsible and such an honorable person, how is she going to ditch a tutor session?” he asked in a ‘duh’ tone. I rolled my eyes at his ignorance. I knew he had done something stupid.

“Are you serious Mitchell? That is not quitting and Mr. Brown I was going to talk to you about this. When you gave me this assignment I completely had forgotten that I had an afterschool job. I work everyday and yesterday I missed work tutoring Mitchell. I need this money.” I explained to him hoping he would understand my point of view.

“Mitchell will you please excuse us.” Mr. Brown told him with a glare pointing towards the door. Mitch smacked his lips and got up leaving.

“Brooklyn you do know that Mr. Maxwell is paying you for the time you are spending tutoring Mitchell. He is paying you $500 an hour for every hour you spend tutoring with him, including your lunch.” He told me. I gasped. I never knew this.

$500 is a lot of money. I have already spent at least five hours with Mitchell. That’s about $2,500 so far. That is unbelievable and is way more then I am being paid at my job. Making money like this will definitely help me pay my college funds and give me money to spare since I’m going to be doing this for about three months. Then again, no matter how much I’m being paid I hate to leave Carol.

“Wow that’s incredible. I did not know about that at all. That is a great offer but I hate to quit on my boss at my job.” I said sadly. Mr. Brown sighed and leaned back in his chair.

“Well I’m sure we can work something out can’t we? Why don’t we change it to this; two days out of the week you tutor Mitchell. We’ll make it Thursday’s and Fridays. Then on Saturday and Sunday you guys can meet up and make up for the lost hours. Maybe a hour a day and that way you can still work three days a week.” He said breaking it all down for me. I let it all sink in analyzing it in my head and finally agreed to it.

“Okay, I will talk to Carol about it. I’m sure she will be fine. Thank you so much Mr. Brown. See you later.” I said getting up and walking out of his office then the main office and into the hallway. Mitchell was standing there leaning against a locker with his hands stuffed in his pockets. I slowly walked up towards him and crossed my arms.

“Why would you do something like that? Are you nuts?” I asked him wanting to just slap him. He laughed.

“No I don’t think so. Anyway, will I be seeing you after school or not?” He asked.

“Actually you won’t. Today is Wednesday and our home tutor sessions have been moved to Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.” I said with a smirk of my own. His smile faltered.

“Whatever, guess you got what you wanted.” He said sounding annoyed. I raised my eyebrow confused.

“If I didn’t know any better I’d say you wanted a tutor session today.” I said curiously. He scoffed and his facial expression turned blank.

“Well you don’t know any better and maybe you should stop assuming. That’s actually the last thing I wanted. Don’t be late at lunch; I do have better things to do then wait for you.” He said shoving past me and walking down the hall as the bell rang.

“You sure are one to talk!” I yelled at him earning a few stares from students in the hallways as they went to their next class. Once again I sighed and just hurried to my next class. I really wasn’t looking forward to lunch at all.

Mitchell’s POV



I had my feet propped up on the table and my arms behind my head. I smirked as she made her way into our little ‘study room’. She had the big carry on, on her shoulder and her purse on her arm. She looked my way and rolled her eyes as I she laid everything on the table in front of me. Her eyes rolling to the back her head didn’t do anything but turn me on slightly. She just didn’t know.

“You’re late.” I scolded as I leaned back more getting more comfortable. She scoffed and dramatically sat down in the chair across from me.

“No I’m not. You just decided to be rather early. Now get your feet off the table, this isn’t your house.” She said in a disgusted tone. My smirk grew wider.

“Is it bothering you?” I asked her.

“It is actually, the smell isn’t one of the best.” She replied giving me a glare.

“Then I think I’ll keep them there. Anyway, you had me waiting for a while plus the food is getting cold.” I told her pointing at the Taco Bell to the side of us.

“Like I said, you were earlier. That isn’t my problem. What are you going to do anyway, tell daddy dearest?” She asked in a sarcastic tone as she reached over and grabbed her bag of food putting it in her purse. I flinched at her words. Wherever she got that from, she should go back and file a complaint. He was not dear at all.

“One, don’t call him that and two, I couldn’t have you quit on me babe.” I told her as I put my feet down and leaned in closer to her.

“One, I’m not your babe and two, why not?” She asked as she leaned in closer as well giving me a daring look. I raised my eyebrow at her sudden boldness.

“You are what I say, and is that any of your business?” I questioned inching a little closer to where I know that she could feel me breathing on her cheek. I smiled mentally as I noticed the nervousness in her eyes but she quickly changed it back to a daring one.

“Well I don’t really approve of what you say, and why shouldn’t it be my business. I do have to ‘take care of you’ for the next couple of months.” She said with a teasing smile as she slightly titled her head to the side. If we leaned in anymore our lips would perfectly fit together. I gave a deep chuckle.

“Ms. Prissy doesn’t approve to be claimed by some one like me? That’s really a first.” I said cockily as I licked my top lip. I could see the faint blush come upon her cheeks.

“Your man whore ways don’t impress me. You are repeating a grade and I don’t know how that’s attractive. Anyway, don’t try to change the subject.” She said. I mocked hurt as I put my hand on my heart.

“Man whore? I take that as a true insult and it’s not only attractive, it’s gives them more hope that they have a never year to help me get laid.” I told her with a smirk.

“You disgust me at times. Like I said, don’t change the subject.” She said tilting her head to the other side.

“You don’t give up do you?” I asked. She shook her head no and her eyes had a curious look.

“My dad and I don’t get along.” I admitted to her.

“Why is that?” She asked trying to dig deeper.

“We just don’t. We aren’t the same kind of people.”

“Well yeah that’s obvious. He’s actually going somewhere with his life.” She said in a humorous tone but hearing it kind of hurt. I stayed quiet as I looked in her eyes and I’m pretty sure my expression went cold. The smile she had on her face change to guilt.

“I didn’t mean it-”

“Forget it, forget I ever said anything. Forget any of this ever happened.” I said through gritted teeth as I moved away from her and leaned back in my chair.

“Look Mitch, I was only-”

“Can we do whatever we’re going to do? My dad isn’t paying you to just look like a lost puppy.” I muttered. She let out a deep sigh.

“Fine then, we’ll work on trigonometry.” She said in defeated tone as she dug into the carry on bag. She took out a packet and a small trig textbook placing it in front of me.

“Or how about we start with this; did your teacher give you any homework for tonight?” She asked me looking into my eyes. I shrugged my shoulders not speaking and rolled her eyes.

“What do you mean you don’t know? You did go to class didn’t you?” She asked.

“It doesn’t matter if I went to class or not. You always ask questions that have nothing to do with your business.” I stated harshly making her flinch a little.

“You know what Mitchell; this is not going to work. There has only been 3 tutoring sessions so far and ‘you’ missed one of them.” She scoffed emphasizing the you. I shook my head.

“Way to put the blame on me.” I said nonchalantly.

“We are never going to get any tutoring done if all these side things keep happening.” She huffed getting frustrated. I smirked at how her temper seemed to be so short.

“If you can’t handle then babe just quit.” I told her. She looked me dead in the eye expressionless.

“That’s what you want isn’t it? You want me to quit so that we don’t have to go through this and you can just fail….again!” She roared at me standing up and hovering over the table. Her face was in front of mine but instead of the moment like before, she had anger and accusation in her eyes.

“You’re getting mighty feisty for some one who used to be so prissy.” I said giving her a hard look.

“Look, you are such an-” Before she could finish saying what I believe was going to be very inappropriate, the bell rang. I gave a crooked smirk and stood up. She let out a deep sigh.

“We’re never going to get anything done.” She said as she gathered everything together. Suddenly I got the urge to do something I had only thought about doing but never actually wanted to do it at all, at least not with here. As she finished zipping up her bag with her back towards me I walked over to her and grabbed her waist. I could feel her tense under my grasp as I slowly pushed her against the nearby wall.

“What are you doing?” she asked in a shaky tone. I ignored her question as I turned her around. I looked in her eyes to see confusion and vulnerability; it humored me how fast I could just take control of her. She may try to act like she’s different from other girls but deep down inside she was the same. And like all girls, she wanted me.

“Maybe next time you shouldn’t cancel our after school dates then babe. I’m pretty sure we could have gotten a lot done at my house.” I whispered in her ear. I could feel her shiver under me and I looked back in her eyes. Her mouth twisted in a distasteful matter.

“Get you hands off of me!” She muttered through clench teeth. Her reaction surprised me, but I quickly regained myself.

“You’re saying this now but later, you’re never going to want to let me.” I said softly brushing my hand against her cheek and quickly leaving the room before she could speak, or before I did anything I regretted. All of this touching and getting close is just a game to me. Tutoring is boring so to pass by the time, I mess with her for my own humor. It’s nothing more and I feel nothing more.

Who are you trying to make believe this stupid theory, yourself….or yourself ha-ha!

An irritating voice in my head said. I cursed myself mentally. I don’t have to prove it to anyone or myself because it’s true. Why would I ever catch feelings for a prissy, know it all, goodie two shoes like her. I don’t even catch feelings for other girls.

Yeah, yeah, yeah! Get over yourself Mitchell.

The voice said back to me. I groaned. Why must you disregard what I’m saying? I know how I feel and what I feel. Right about now I feel like relaxing myself. I felt my mouth curl into a smirk as I took my phone out of my pocket and went to my messages. I scrolled down until it said Ashley and tapped it.

Me: Music room, asap!

I sent that and then made a u-turn in the hallway making my way past all the people. I hated walking through crowded hallways. People moved out of the way once they say me coming and I grinned on the inside. The school life was too easy.

When I got in the room I cut the light on and Ashley was already there waiting for me. She had a devilish smile spread across her lips as she sat on the table. I nodded knowing exactly what she was talking about as I turned the lights back off and made my way to her.



Brooklyn’s POV



“Wow that’s weird.” Hannah said as she walked with me to my car. I nodded.

“Tell me about it. He’s been acting completely strange and I don’t know where I have been getting this sudden courage to play along with these games he’s been pulling. Now I’m actually getting fed up because Mr. Maxwell is paying me and I’m barely tutoring.” I confessed. I took my keys out of my bag and pressed the unlock button.

“Calm down Brook. Look at it this way, Mitchell wants a fight. If a fight is what he wants then a fight is what he’ll get. You just have to beat him at his own teasing game if you want things to go your way.” She said shrugging her shoulders as if it was the simplest thing in the world.

“I don’t even know how to tease Hannah. I have never been in this situation and the only boy I have ever even come to like was Jayson. Boys were never in my schedule. I don’t have time for Mitchell.” I said exhausted.

“Think about Brooke, if you could tease Mitchell enough to where he would do anything for you, then you would win. I do it all the time with Ryan. It’s not hard at all.” She explained to me. I thought over what she was saying.

When Mitchell was ‘teasing’ me I guess, I did notice that I felt like surrendering into his touch. It was weird but for some reason I kind of like the close-

Brooklyn Waters what are you thinking?

A voice inside my head asked. I sighed, the voice is right. What am I thinking? This is strictly business and nothing personal. I have to tutor him and that’s all and if he doesn’t want to listen then I’ll have to make him.

“Maybe you’re right Han.” I said still in thinking process. I heard her chuckle.

“Maybe, no I am right. I’ll help you with it as it goes on okay? But I have to go now, Ryan’s giving me a ride home.” She said leaning in to give me hug and then started running towards Ryan’s car. I gave him a small smile and waved. He returned it and then I got in the car. If a game is what he wants, then like Hannah said, a game is what he’ll get.

Game on Mitchell!

Brooklyn- 0

Mitchell- 0



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 2 comments.


on Jul. 9 2016 at 12:38 pm
Bladewolf17 SILVER, Kc, Kansas
8 articles 0 photos 8 comments
please finish

on Jan. 30 2014 at 3:09 pm
Babygirl234 BRONZE, Hancock, Maryland
3 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
love will fine a way

please finish, i really want to know what happens, thanks :)