The Star That Shines | Teen Ink

The Star That Shines

By October31, Burien, Washington
October31, Burien, Washington

Prologue
1812
She screamed as the man comes closer. Using all her energy, she shoots the blinding white light towards the man. Her blond hair flows behind her, moving in violent twists.
“You will not win Astria! You aren’t meant to live!” the man screams.
He shoots a black light towards Astria. It pushes her back, causing her stumble on broken concrete.
She turns her head to the side and looks for Sebastian. He’s fighting his own enemies. “Oh my love. Please be careful,” Astria mumbles.
Feeling the black light push against her more, she turns back to the man. “I trusted you! I took care of you!”
He laughs. “Sweet little Astria. You are far too nice,” he says with a grin.
Astria puts all her strength into the white light, pushing against the dark. Her vision starts to waver and with a surge of power, the black light diminishes the white light.
Astria is thrown back into the castle wall and lands on the ground with a thud. The man slowly walks over to her, chuckling at the sight of such a pathetic being.
Astria opens her eyes to see him coming towards her and she tries to get back up. But the world spins and she falls back down with a groan.
Seeing Sebastian still fighting but distracted by her she wants to yell out to him and beg him to pay attention to his fight but she has no energy left.
Sebastian finally defeats the enemy and runs towards Astria. The man throws black light at Sebastian throwing him backwards. “You silly things! You cannot defeat me! You all will die tonight,” the man screams.
The lightning flashes across the window and a clap of thunder shakes the castle. Astria grabs onto her beloved necklace and whispers, “I am sorry my love. I have failed you. Please forgive me!”
The man walks closer to Astria and before she can do anything else, she is hit with black light again.
Fear and anger flashes across Sebastian’s face as he pounds against an invisible wall and watches Astria, his love, is encased in black light. He screams and pounds some more, calling out her name.
Once again the man lets out a maniacal laugh as he enjoys the last moments of Astria. Once he is satisfied that she is fully gone, he slowly turns his eyes to Sebastian. With lightning speed, he lets the black light shoot in Sebastian’s direction.
The black light rushes towards Sebastian as it nears him; he is surrounded by a bright light and is lifted up. The light shoots out and blinds the man. He cowers back from its strength. The light dissipates as quickly as if arrived. As the man’s eyes adjust to the normal light again, he sees that his foe Sebastian is no longer before him.
“I will get you!” the man screams out in anger.

Chapter 1

I always thought that I would notice when my world changed. Or at least when it was about to change but when it actually happened, it took me awhile to figure it out.
“Vana? Hello? Are you listening?”
I look up from the paper I was reading. It was talking about another death here in PikesHollow. It’s not usually something that happens, so this being the second murder to happen, people are more than scared.
One of my best friends, China, is sitting in the driver’s seat. I look around and realize that we are finally at school and she’s obviously waiting for me to get out of the car.
Smiling over at her, I grab my messenger bag and slip out of the car, tossing it over my shoulder. Pulling my hair out from underneath the strap, I move to the front of China’s Monster.
She got it a year ago with her own money. It’s a green color, not that of grass, but of vomit. We-me and our other friend Marley- call it the Monster.
But it’s our only transportation other than the school bus. Somehow, as odd as it sounds, I’d rather take the Monster.
“Vana? You’ve been off in lala land all morning. Are ok?” China asks.
I nod my head and roll my eyes. “Yes, China! I’m fine. Just a little tired, that’s all,” I shrug.
She narrows her eyes like she doesn’t believe me but luckily, Marley chooses that moment to skip over to us.
If one were to look at my best friends, they’d ask how we’re even together.
China is the tallest of the group at five six. Her curly black hair and chocolate browns eyes shine against her mocha skin. She’s always wearing the ‘fashion musts’ as she calls it. She’s always trying to get me to dress more like her.
Marley is the shortest, five two, and is the tomboy of the group. Her brown hair is always thrown up into a ponytail, it doesn’t go unnoticed by China, and when it’s down it has a hair tie crease. Her blue eyes are always rimmed with thick eye liner.
She wears skinny jeans with holes, mostly created by her falling, and plaid button up t-shirts. She says she’s going for the ‘cool’ look.
Then you have…me. I’m in between those two at five three. I don’t care for fashion and I’d probably die if I were put on a skateboard.
I wear jeans and t-shirts, mostly band t-shirts. My blond hair is either up or it’s down, depending on the day and how I feel. My green eyes are dull looking-nobody else agrees- against my pale skin.
Though, while China and Marley have their skills, I do have mine. I make music. Piano, guitar, violin. I’ve always been able to. I’d listen to a song and I could play it right there. No practice necessary.
“Guys! You would not believe what I just heard!” Marley practically shouts from across the parking lot.
I chuckle as China groans. “That girl is always loud,” she huffs.
By the time we make it to the front steps, Marley is jumping up and down with excitement.
How is that girl so energetic? I smile ruefully and walk up the steps. “So? What has you jumping like a bean?”
China looks at me with confusion. “A bean? Beans don’t jump Vana.”
I snort. “Sure they do. Mexican jumping beans.”
She just shakes her head. We all know how stubborn I can be. We once had a fight-about something stupid of course- and went days without talking. I dragged it out longer than need be, but she now knows I can last.
I turn my attention to Marley, who is now sitting on the step. People have to walk around her but she doesn’t pay attention to them.
“Alright, so I had to get here early to finish a test and I heard the principle talking,” she looks like we should be excited about this. “And I heard him talk about a new family had just moved here.”
Me and China look at each other, shock on our faces. PikesHollow is a small town, boring too. People usually move away, not move to.
Marley holds her hand up, obviously not finished. “That’s not the best part. Three new kids are coming today!”
If I wasn’t shocked before, I am now. On the off chance that people do move here, they’re older. A family moving here with kids our age? Weird.
The bell rings before we can talk more about the new family. We walk inside and I mentally do a jig of happiness when I realize I didn’t have to go to my locker before first period.
We don’t share classes, so our little group heads in different directions. Of course, first period happens to be at the other end of the school. Hurrying through the halls I make it just in time before the teacher, Mr. Halls closes the door.
He’s a stickler that one.
“Cutting it close Ms. Landry wouldn’t you say?” He asks.
I nod my head and make my way to my seat. The rest of class I take notes and listen aptly. It’s the same for my next three classes and during history; I try not to fall asleep. Before I know it, the bell rings and I rush out the door, ready for lunch. As I round the corner, I run into a body.
I fall back onto my butt and my bag goes flying. I look up; ready to give this person hell when I realize who it is.
Mark Roark.
Senior football star, a girl on his arms every week and oozes of charm. Unfortunately, I fell for that charm.
He’s obviously taller than me, more muscular also. His tan skin seems to glow against his black wavy hair and bright blue eyes. He always wears his football jersey and signature over priced jeans.
He looks down at me with a confused expression, as if a fly had hit him. Might as well be. I stand up and collect my bag, glad that nothing fell out. Mark looks on and doesn’t offer any help. I honestly don’t know why I try with this guy.
Shaking my head, I shoulder past him but stop when a hand grabs my elbow. Turning around, Mark stares down at me with an unknown expression.
“You’re Nirvana right?”
I snort. I always do when someone asks me this question or when I tell somebody my name; they get this weird look on their faces as if having an odd name is contagious.
My parents loved Nirvana. That’s all I got to say.
I cross my arms and lean against a locker. “Yes, I am and if you are going to just joke around, I’m going to leave.”
“No!” he shouts.
My eyes widen in shock and I hit my head against the locker. “Excuse me?” I ask incredulously.
His eyes soften. “Sorry, it’s just I want to talk to you,” he shrugs.
I lift a suspicious eyebrow. “Ok, what do you want to talk about?”
He runs his hand through his black hair, messing it up even more but making it seem like he styled if for hours. “I didn’t think I’d actually get this far to be honest,” he chuckles. “Do you want to go out tonight? For dinner?”
As I stand there, shocked that all this is happening, I can’t help but feel something isn’t right here. Of course something’s not right! He asked you out!
His expression falls as I don’t answer and I find myself nodding my head and probably looking like an idiot. “Yeah, sure.”
He grins. “Great! Pick you up at six?”
I nod and then watch as he walks away. Mark Roark just asked me out. With the need to tell somebody what just happened, I head to the cafeteria.
After waiting in line for lunch-something that doesn’t look like food- I make my way to the table where we usually sit. Marley and China are already sitting, bickering about something.
I drop my tray down and sit heavily with a thud. They both look over at me with questioning looks. “Mark Roark just asked me out.”
Both of their mouths drop open and I would have been offended if I didn’t realize how crazy it sounds. On the chain, I’m at the bottom and Mark is way at top. That fact that he even knows my name is a feat all to its self.
“Wait! The Mark Roark asked you out?” Marley practically yells.
China and I shush her and I look around, cheeks blazing when I notice some stares. I lean in and the girls do to. “I know! It’s crazy right? Do you think this is some kind of game or something?”
China shakes her head. “I don’t think so, Vana. Just go and see what happens.”
I nod my head and absently move what’s on my plate around, no longer hungry. We spend the rest of lunch deciding on what I should wear. Before the bell rings, China gasps.
“Guys! I forgot to tell you. You know the new kids? I saw them in my class and apparently they have every subject together. Weird huh?”
It is a little odd but then again maybe it’s not. I wave goodbye to them and make my way to more classes. As I go through the day, I hear more and more about these new kids and become curious. I haven’t seen them yet but apparently, they’re something to see.
It’s during my last class- Chemistry- that I’m sitting in my chair waiting for other people to walk in. Doodling on my notebook, I don’t hear anything until Mrs. May clears her throat.
Looking up, I see three people who I have never met and they’re all looking at me.

The girl who stands between the two boys looks at me with nothing but curiosity. To be honest, she kind of scares me. The air around her is filled with confidence and knowledge.
She stands with her arms crossed and a scowl on her face. Her brown hair is in a severe bun and somehow it doesn’t surprise me. She’s wearing a white t-shirt and black skinny jeans with rips down the legs. Large black books adorn her feet and I mentally tell myself to watch my feet.
The guy next to her looks more carefree and mellow. His brown hair is longer than I’ve seen on a guy and it curls just under is ears. One of his ears is pierced with a small stud. He’s wearing a green v-neck and what looks of a tattoo peaks out at the top near his shoulder. Designer jeans complete his look.
The third person, the guy standing on the other side of the girl, is the one who I can’t seem to keep my eyes off of.
He’s taller than the two and actually looks a bit older. Jet black hair tousled in unruly waves hangs past his neck and curls forward. His eyes are a gray color, filled with secrets and mysteries, and well defined cheekbones. He’s wearing a blue t-shirt and tattoos peak out from the neck and a large tattoo covers his arm.
He screams danger and yet I can’t stop looking. An odd sense of déjà vu hits me and I become dizzy. I grab onto my desk tightly and blink away the spots that swim in my vision.
“Class this is Cameron,” she points to the brown haired guy. “Jill and Ryan Parker,” she points to the guy who has held my attention.
Ryan Parker. I like the sound of it going through my mind and I begin to wonder what it would be like to say it out loud.
The class doesn’t do anything, just watch as the new kids walk to their seats. Two happen to be by me; to my left and behind me. Ryan takes the seat to my left and Cameron sits behind me.
Jill stands next to the seat on my right and stares down at the kid who sits there. I think his name is Eric and right now he’s shaking like a leaf. He’s not the most confident guy around and I could see why he’d be scared. Jill is sending him a look that could shoot lasers.
I look down at my notebook and try to concentrate on what Mrs. May is saying. It’s hard, especially trying to keep myself from looking at Ryan, but I mange. Barely.
The bell rings and I hurriedly pack my books and slide out of my seat. I ignore the weird exchange of looks between the Parker siblings and rush out of the classroom.
I push my way through the crowds and mutter a million ‘excuse me’s’ before I make it to China’s car. She isn’t there yet so I take out my phone and play a word search game as I wait.
It’s as I’m trying to find the world ‘closed’ that I feel something odd, like a stare. I look up from my phone and turn my head around to see who’s staring at me. I have a hunch of who it could be but when my eyes meet his, I’m surprised.
Ryan stands across the parking lot with his hands in his front jean pockets. He’s wearing sunglasses but I know he’s staring. He’s unmoving until a smirk appears on his face.
I try to make myself turn around but my feet won’t work and the heat between our gazes confuses me. I have never met this guy and I can’t help but feel comfortable right now. Crazy, since he’s staring at me like that.
I’m finally able to blink and turn my gaze somewhere else when Cameron pushes Ryan’s shoulder. Look around, I realize that the parking lot is almost empty. I’ve been standing here for awhile it seems.
I wait around for another twenty minutes before China finally decides to walk out of school. By now I’m laying on the hood of the Monster, listening to music.
China pulls on an ear bud. “What are you listening to?”
“Oasis,” I say dryly.
She makes a face. China only listens to pop music and never gets my taste for all things music. “Let’s go! I have to be home soon.”
I slide off the hood and wait for her to lean over the passenger seat to unlock my door. Tossing my bag onto the floor, I slide in, narrowly missing the handle on the ceiling.
“Where were you? I waited out here for thirty minutes.”
I reach around and put my seatbelt on, trying to keep my hair from getting stuck in the buckle. My hair tie had decided to break and now my long thick hair is falling all over the place.
China starts to drive and turns the station up on the radio. “I was asking Mr. Rein for help on my English paper I have to write on.”
I groan and shake my head. Mr. Rein is the new teacher here and apparently he just got out of college, so he’s young. Of course the girls in this school have a crush on him.
“Don’t groan Vana! It’s no one’s fault that he’s hot. He certainly can’t help it,” she grins and wiggles her eyebrows.
I scrunch my face up in disgust. “He’s still old!”
I’m glad I don’t have any crushes on teachers. I don’t need my life to become a book. Unneeded, thoughts of Ryan come and I shake my head.
She shakes her head with mock disappointment. “Oh Vana. We have got to get you a boyfriend.”
I sigh and prepare myself for more lectures. China is always trying to get me a boyfriend. I guess I can see why, I’ve never dated before. Heck I’ve never kissed before!
I wouldn’t tell her, or anybody, but I’m holding out. I feel like someone is waiting for me out there and I just need patience.
This is why I’m going out with Mark. I’m positive he’s the guy I’ve been waiting for. Never mind the fact that he doesn’t know it yet, he will.
The way home is filled with China chatting and I am nodding my head like I’m listening. I love her but there is only so much talk about something she has already talked about I can take.
She parks her car in front of my house and I sigh. I’d rather hear her talk than go inside. Pushing myself, I open the door and toss a wave to China.
My aunt Leslie and my uncle Marcus took me in when I was two years old. My parents had died in a fire that I was apparently in. No one knew how I got out but I did. I’ve been told I had an angel watching over me.
Never mind that it sounds kind of creepy.
They’re great people, my aunt and uncle, but they don’t really know how to care for a kid. They had been trying for years to have one but it never happened.
So you’d think they would be happy to finally have one. Instead they had a two year old-one they had never met- shoved in their arms.
Aunt Leslie is my mom’s sister and they had fought years ago about my mom’s boyfriend-my dad- and aunt Leslie told her to leave and not to contact her.
So imagine their surprise when a little two year old me showed up on their doorstep.
They don’t hurt me or anything but they don’t try to be a family. They take care of food, clothes and everything else I need. That’s it. Love? They don’t show it, thinking I don’t need it.
I open the door and quietly close it behind me, taking my shoes off on the rug to the side. Aunt Leslie is a stickler for cleanness and makes sure I remember to take my shoes off at the door and to keep everything else clean.
I think she has OCD but I don’t have the courage to tell her.

Going down the hallway, I listen for any sounds of them walking around. Usually the vacuum is making noise when I get home, but it’s quiet.
Shrugging, I make my way to my bedroom. It’s not very personal, like nobody lives in it.
The walls are white and the floors are a shiny hardwood. A small wrought iron bed sits to the side and a small desk below my one window. A small closet sits on the other side of the room, a dresser next to it.
It kind of makes me mad when I see the difference between my room and China’s and Marley’s rooms. Their rooms are bright and colorful, pictures of us on the walls.
But then again, they have two loving parents.
Looking at my phone, I curse realizing I have only an hour to get ready. Going to my small closet, I choose a pair of my newest dark wash skinny jeans and a purple halter top with beading around the neck.
Walking into the bathroom, I change and look in the mirror. Grimacing, I brush my hair into a half up hair style.
I put on mascara and some lip gloss before nodding to myself in the mirror. With a grin, I turn off the light and head back into my room.
Going down onto my knees, I search for a pair of shoes under my bed. After many curses, I finally find a pair of gray booties.
Grabbing my clutch, I walk down stairs and wait patiently. I’m a little nervous but excited. I’ve waited years for this night and it’s finally here!
Not long after I get downstairs, the doorbell rings and I skip to it before telling myself to calm down. I take a deep breath and fix my top before opening the door.
Mark stands on the porch with a hand in his front pocket. He’s wearing his expensive jeans and a blue plaid button up. His black hair is slicked back as if he’s ran his hand through it more than once.
I smile. “Hey Mark.”
I close the door and instantly get an odd feeling, as if I’m being watched.
He sends a small smile. “Hey… Nirvana.”
I shake my head and ignore the weird sensation of being watched again. “You can call me Vana. It’s less… odd,” I shrug.
He nods and stands there before realization hits him. “Oh! Right, our date,” he holds out his arm and I loop mine around it. “Let’s go then… Vana.”
I let him steer me towards his bright red Corvette. Before getting in, I twist around and bite my bottom lip, shuddering.
I’m defiantly being watched. But by who and why?

To say the date didn’t go as I had planned would be an understatement. It was worse.
The drive to the restaurant was anything but exciting. It was dull and boring. All Mark did was drive and turn up the radio when I started to talk. I thought maybe he was just nervous but I’m not naive enough to actually believe that’s why he was acting that way.
So I was left to sit in awkward silence. I hate awkward silence.
So when he pulled into a McDonalds, I had thought he was kidding. I had thought that he was just playing around and wanted a laugh.
He wasn’t kidding.
I had sat there, in the front seat, and watched him get out and walk into McDonalds like I wasn’t even there. I was just debating whether or not to walk away right then.
I knew that I should have walked away; I mean this guy is either a non romantic or just stupid. Sitting in the front seat, I chose the latter.
So here I am, sitting in a movie theater next to Mark who has barely said anything to me all night. I don’t know why I chose to stay but I did and now I’m regretting it.
He chose a horror movie and usually I’m ok with those but this one is foreign and I have no idea what’s going on. Mark looks as if he understands it all and the weird look on his face, almost admiration, it kind of creepy.
I sit back into my seat and loudly pull out my small bag of gummy bears. Mark throws a glare at me but looks back at the large screen when someone screams. My thoughts turn somewhere, or should I say to someone else.
Ryan Parker.
I can’t seem to stop thinking about him. The feeling of having known this guy is starting to wear on me. I know I’ve never seen this guy before-I’d remember- so why I’m I feeling like this?
It’s almost as if I have…feelings for him. This is crazy since I just met him! I shake my head and toss a red gummy bear in my mouth. Maybe I have met him but I just don’t remember.
It could be possible. Right?
Just thinking about him gives me shivers. His gray eyes, intense and mysterious, appear in my mind and I realize that there is pain also. What could have happened to him that caused such pain?
I startle when the lights in the theater come on and I look over at Mark only to see him staring at me. I smile and watch as an emotion crosses over his face, too fast for me to know what it was.
Mark clears his throat. “So, Vana. Look, I get this wasn’t the best date but to be honest, I’m just a nervous wreck,” he sighs.
I let out a little laugh. “Don’t worry Mark. So it wasn’t the best date in the world but there is always next time…” I trail off, uncertain.
He nods his head before standing up and holding out his hand. “It’s getting late and I should get you home.”
I can’t tell if I’ve scared him or not and I could just laugh at that. Me scare him? Impossible. Still I grab his hand and we walk out of the building. He hasn’t let go of my hand yet and I try to keep myself calm.
On the ride back home, I shove thoughts about Ryan out of my head and concentrate on Mark.
We talk about small things, nothing personal. He likes poetry and history of Greek Gods. Something I haven’t heard say they like but interesting none the less.
In no time at all, we finally reach home and Mark parks in front of the driveway. I look towards the large white house and cringe at seeing the lights on. I hadn’t told them where I was going to be and aunt Leslie is for sure going to have a fit.
I turn back around. “Well, thanks for tonight.”
Mark nods his head before leaning over to my, placing a kiss at the corner of my mouth. He pulls back a little bit and looks at me. “I really did have a good time Vana and I’d like to have a second chance at a better date.”
I’m still dazed by that small kiss. So dazed it’s almost embarrassing to be so. I nod my head. “That sounds great Mark. I can’t wait.”
I open the door and hurry inside, away from the cold. Turning around at the door, I wave and watch as he drives off. I’m about to open the door when I feel that stare again, drilling into my back.
Shivering, I hurry inside and slam the door shut.
“How many times do I need to tell you not to slam the door? You’re going to break something one of these days.”
I turn around and see aunt Leslie standing at the bottom of the stairs with a robe on. Her hands are on her hips and a scowl on her face.
I’ve been told my mom looks like aunt Leslie, of course she would be, but I can’t help but think they didn’t look that much the same.
Aunt Leslie has dark brown hair in a bob and is around five eight. She has brown, almost black eyes. I’ve seen pictures of my parents and my mom was short and blonde with blue eyes. They looked nothing alike. I haven’t seen pictures of their parents so I can’t tell if that’s why they look so different.
I’ve been told I get my strong will and stubbornness from my dad. Also a love for rock bands from the 60’s to 90’s era. He was a great man, a brave man. Or so my uncle says.
I shrug. “Sorry about that. Guess I was a little spooked.”
I take my shoes off and pick them up to carry to my room. I stop in front of my still scowling aunt and kiss her cheek. I have to stand on my toes to reach her but it softens her look.
She sighs. “Just don’t do it again,” she smiles. “How was your date? I’m guessing it was a date?” she lifts a brow.
I nod with a sheepish smile. “Yeah, it was a date. It was… weird actually. But I think he’s going to ask me out again,” I grin.
She shakes her head with a smile. “Good to hear. Now get to bed.”
Her stern face is back in place and I inwardly sigh. It doesn’t happen a lot, when my aunt smiles and actually talks to me like a friend. Once in a blue moon it happens but it’s a short amount of talking.
Pickers can’t be choosers I guess.

X

Shuffling towards the kitchen, I muffle a yawn with my hand. I go to the fridge and pull out a carton of orange juice and turn around.
My uncle Marcus is sitting at the table, reading the newspaper. It’s odd to see him here so early in the morning. Usually he’s gone by six and won’t be back to seven or so. He’s a lawyer and sometimes stays late to finish a case.
“Morning,” I mutter over my cup.
He nods and says something that sounds like good morning. He’s a quiet type of guy and it surprises everyone that he’s a lawyer. He may be quiet but there has always been this dark side to him, scares the daylights out of some people.
Luckily, I haven’t seen that side and I hope I never have to.
He’s tall and has dark looks. Black hair with dark eyes. Skin that is way too tanned to be from PikesHollow. It’s rarely sunny around here.
Not wanting to hang around this clown of a guy, I toss my bag over my shoulder and toss a wave with a goodbye before heading outside.
I have to leave earlier than normal because China decided to get drunk last night and won’t be coming today due to a ‘hangover of the century.’ Her words, not mine.
Merely doesn’t drive, she skates so that’s not an option and neither is asking my aunt or uncle to drive me.
Finally I make it up the steps to school and head to my locker. School starts in ten minutes so I might as well get to the classroom and wait.
I realize I won’t see Ryan until my last class and breathe a sigh of relief. As much as I want to see him, I don’t think it’s a good idea. Thoughts about him kept my up half the night.
I’m going crazy. Besides, it may have been one date but I don’t want to mess things up with Mark.
“You have that look again.”
I turn around and see Marley staring at me, leaning against the locker next to mine. How did I not see her?
“What look?” I ask.
I put my bag in my locker and get my books for English class. I close it and turn back to look at Marley. She’s wearing an oversized army jacket with skinny jeans and biker boots.
“The one where you’re thinking hard about something. Usually it means you are over thinking it too much,” she shrugs.
I roll my eyes. “I am not over thinking anything. I just… I’m thinking normally ok,” I snap.
She smirks. “Somebody woke on the wrong side of the bed this morning.”
Before I can say anything else the bell rings and I curse. Tossing a wave to Marley, I run around the halls until I get to English.

X

“Hey I can’t be at lunch, coach needs me.”
I look up from my phone towards Marley. “Why does coach need you?”
She quirks a brow. “Soccer.”
Marley is the best soccer playing our school has and is always torn away from lunch, sometimes classes, so she can get extra practice in.
“Great, looks like its lunch for Uno me.”
She shakes her head. “I can’t believe you took two years of Spanish and only know Uno.”
I push her shoulder and we both laugh. Yeah, two years of Spanish got me nowhere. We say goodbye and I head towards the cafeteria. Thankfully I brought lunch today so I don’t have to wait in line.
Sitting at our table, a pang of loneliness hits me. I’m always around somebody at school. School isn’t supposed to be like home. It’s supposed to be busy and me complaining about having no quiet time even though I love it.
I’m still inside my head, muttering and feeling pitiful when a loud screech reaches my ears. I wince and look up, ready to glare when I see its Ryan, Cameron and Jill.
They all sit down across from me and start eating. My mouth is open a little and I hurry to close it. I lean back into my seat and cross my arms.
Jill looks up and smirks at me. “We saw that you were alone and thought that was pathetic so we decided to sit by you.”
Cameron bumps her arm with his and glares at her. They seem to have a silent communication with her ending up huffing and rolling her eyes.
I look over at Ryan and see him staring at me. I blush and look away quickly. Ugh, I hate blushing.
He smirks and gets back to eating. What’s with this family and smirking?
“Look, we mean no harm. We just wanted a place to sit. I’m Cameron,” he holds out his hand.
I look at it for a second before reaching out and shaking it. “Nice to meet you Cameron.”
He nods his head toward Jill. “That’s Jill my sister and on my other side is my brother Ryan.”
I nod to them, not that they do anything back. I’m hit with a weird bout of irritation at Ryan. I could care less about how Jill acts but with Ryan I feel almost… hurt. Which is impossible since I’ve just met the guy.
I push thoughts about feelings and Ryan to the back of my head. No need to get all upset for some guy who doesn’t even act as if I exist.
“What’s your name?” asks a deep honey voice.
I shiver and look up at Ryan who spoke. I almost beg for him to say something else. His voice… so deep and smooth. Right, he asked a question. “Uh, m-my name is Vana,” I shake my head. “That’s my nickname actually. Nirvana is my name, so please call me Vana.”
Jill snorts. “Like the band?”
I almost shoot something back at her but refrain myself. “My dad was really into that band when I was born,” I shrug.
I could have been named worse. Like, Queen or something.
Cameron cuts in. “Hey since we’re new here, do you have any suggestions on where to hang out?”
He kind of talks funny. Like he’s older than he really is. He doesn’t look like it; if anybody looks older it would be Ryan. He doesn’t look like he should be in high school. I wonder how old he is?
Cameron clears his throat and I remember he asked me a question. “Oh right. Um, besides the small theater and the hangout? The mall that’s in the next town.”
Jill perks up. “What’s the hangout?”
I look up from my small salad. “It’s just an open field for teens to hang out at. Sometimes there are parties or you can just go to relax,” I shrug.
“Is there one tonight?” she asks.
“Yeah, every Friday there is a party.”
She makes a noise and turns to Ryan and Cameron. “How about we have some fun tonight?”
Cameron glares and Ryan watches on with amusement. He’s really starting to bother the heck out of me. He’s so smug it’s gross. Yet, I can’t stop from looking at his mouth.
“Are you going tonight Vana?” Cameron asks.
I nod my head. “Yeah, I’ll be there,” I start to get up. “Look I got to go, but it starts at seven. See you there!” I shout as I leave.
Shaking my head I round the corner and run into Mark. I almost fall but he catches me. I start to smile at him but see he’s angry.
“What’s wrong?” I ask.
He grunts and grabs my arm, dragging me out to the front of the school. His grip is almost painful on my upper arm. “Ow! Mark what are you doing?” I snap at him.
He shoves me against the wall. “You will stay away from those people!”
I scoff. “Excuse me? Who are you to tell me who I can or can’t see?”
He grabs the back of my neck and tugs painfully. “You are mine Vana. Not theirs and not his.”
There is a dangerous glint in his eyes and I’m actually scared. I nod quickly, hoping it will calm him down.
He nods once and let’s go of me. “Good. Sorry if I hurt you but I had to make sure you knew that you are mine,” he reaches out to touch me and I flinch. His face softens. “Ah, Vana. I’m sorry really. How about we hang out tonight? The two of us?”
“I’m going to the hangout with my friends tonight,” I say hesitantly.
A shadow goes over his face before he grins. “Then I’ll go with you,” his grin drops. He grabs my wrist and squeezes tight causing me to wince. “But if you go near them, I will hurt you.”
I nod, not looking at his face. His eyes are dangerous pools of terror and I won’t get sucked in. who knows what could happen.
He leans forward and kisses my cheek. “Alright, I’ll meet you there.”
Without waiting for anything, he turns and walks away. All I can do is stand there and wonder: what has happened to my life?

Should I tell them?
As I stand at my mirror, I look past my shoulder and see China and Marley sitting on my bed, arguing about what I should wear.
I’ve been debating all day on whether I should tell them about Mark. I can’t help but think that maybe he was just having a rough day and accidentally took it out on me.
Looking down at my wrists, purple and blue rings around both wrists, I come up with a story in case they ask about them.
I can’t tell them about Mark. Because he’s the one for me… he is.
Pushing away my doubts, I turn around with a large smile on my face. “Since it’s cold out and we will be outside how about a warm jacket?”
I ignore China’s protests and go to my bathroom after picking out my clothes.
I put a tight fitting leather jacket over my white blouse that has small skulls on it. I put on my dark wash skinny jeans and finally put on my knee-high boots.
I throw my blond hair into a messy bun and slick on some mascara with lip gloss. Walking into my room, I grab my shoulder purse that has beaded strings hanging down the side.
“Well? Does my outfit approve your needs China?” I quip sarcastically.
She snorts and rolls her eyes. “Yes my dear Vana. You look absolutely darling,” she teases.
I shake my head and head down stairs. The girls follow me, arguing about something else now. Most likely Marley’s outfit of choice. Which is basically what she wore to school.
Aunt Leslie and uncle Marcus aren’t here-no surprise- so I leave a note in case they get back before me. Soon, we’re all in the Monster and China turns the radio up when a Taylor Swift song comes on.
Marley and I groan, causing China to glare. “My car guys! My car, my music.”
Shaking my head, I look out the window and ignore their bantering. I’m nervous and if I’m honest-scared- to see Mark.
I always thought that he was this great and sweet guy who would finally see me and fall in love. But he’s turning out to be someone I’m scared of.
Earlier I had told myself that it was all an accident but I don’t think it was. I mean, he warned me away from the Parker siblings, especially Ryan.
What do I do? I know I need to tell someone about Mark but I can’t seem to get the words out. What if he gets angry and tries to hurt me more than he did this morning?
Sighing, I desperately wish I had someone to tell. I wished I wasn’t so scared.
Looking at my two best friends, I can’t seem to tell them. I want to but how?
Soon China pulls up to a field with cars parked and loud music coming from music player on the back of someone’s truck. PikesHollow does have a country vibe.
I get out of the car and look around. Marley immediately goes over to her crush. Those two have been friends since junior high and has a major crush on him but she never said anything and now he’s got a girlfriend.
China goes off to talk to some of her fashion class friends. I lean against the Monster and watch everyone.
People are messing around and yelling. The smell of alcohol is in the air and grinding bodies are in the middle of the field where the make shift dance floor is.
The guy across from me is flirting-badly- and chases after the girl a moment later. Obviously his bad flirting worked. I shake my head with a smile.
“Vana!”
I stiffen at the sound of his voice before telling myself to calm down. I turn around with a fake smile and see Mark walking over to me. He’s holding a red Solo cup.
“Hey you. Have you been here long?” he asks.
I shake my head and look back towards the party. I try not to notice the stone look that’s in his eyes. Like the glint of a knife against the white moon.
“I just got here actually.”
He nods and we stand next to each other. Him: so comfortable and enjoying his time. Me: stiff and wanting away fast.
But how does one run from the person who she has wanted for half of her life?
I abruptly turn to Mark. “I’m going to get something to drink. I’ll catch up with you later?”
I leave without his answer and hurry over to the truck with two large containers of beer and water. I grab water and walk around, anywhere that’s not close to Mark.
How has my world turned so fast? Everything was great yesterday. I mean, there was no new kids, no new guy who makes me question everything around. Mark was someone who I knew would be mine.
Now… I’d rather run for hills and get away from here. I’m so conflicted. I don’t know what to do, how to feel.
Lost in my thoughts, I look up and realize that I’m in the middle of the woods, a ways from the party.
I look around but can’t figure out where to walk. The ground is foggy where it was once just clear. I turn around at the sound of bushes rustling. Nothing there.
“Ok, Vana. Keep calm. It’s just your imagination,” I mumble to myself.
A branch breaks behind me and I whirl around, gasping. I start to back up and drop my bottle of water onto the ground.
A gust of wind makes the trees wave wildly, as if being roughly pushed away. Tiny wisps of my hair that escaped my bun fly around my face.
Something slithers over my foot and I jump back with a scream. I turn in a circle, trying to find a way out. More fog has materialized and it’s getting hard to see shapes right in front of me.
I fall to the ground and curl up into a ball, shaking with the need to sob. I shiver against another gust of wind.
I lift my head when I hear voices. A deep familiar voice calls out my name. I try to sit up but find that I can’t. It’s like I’m bound to the ground.
All of a sudden, I can’t breathe. Heaviness sits across my chest and I can’t take in air. I start shaking, trying to scream and make noise.
The world starts to blur and a darkness starts to close in. I shake my head back and forth. I’m not ready to die, not yet.
Just as I was about to close my eyes, the heaviness disappears and I take in a large breath of air, nearly choking.
I sit up and look around. It’s still foggy but I can clearly see shapes move around. Four of them, as if their fighting. I fall back down and close my eyes.
What feels like hours later, I open my eyes and see Ryan’s face above mine, concern etched on his face. “Vana? Nirvana? Are you ok? Answer me!”
The blurriness of his words reaches my ears and I finally understand what he’s saying and nod my head slowly.
I look over his shoulder and see Cameron picking up something before quickly putting it in his pocket. Jill walks up to him and whispers in his ear.
Ryan tugs on my hair gently and I turn back to him. “I’m fine but w-what happened?” I ask confused. I rub my head and look up at him expectedly.
He looks around for a moment, as if finding a way to answer. “We were walking around, closer to the woods when we heard shouting. We just ran here quickly and saw you.”
Everything slowly comes back to me and I gasp, pulling myself back from Ryan. He frowns, obviously not happy that I moved away.
“Was there… someone? I remember feeling something heavy on my chest and I-I couldn’t breathe,” I ramble.
Ryan pulls me into a hug and gently runs his hand over my head, telling me that everything is alright now. I melt into his embrace, feeling so safe and warm.
“What’s going on here?” a voice demands.
Oh no. I pull back and stumble a little. I evade Ryan’s hands that are reaching out to help me. Mark is going to get angry and I know he’ll take it out on me. I accidently cast a scared look towards Mark and look back at Ryan, trying to hide it but I know he catches it by the narrow of his eyes.
I reach out and grab Marks hand. I try not to wince against the pain as he grips my hand. “Mark… I was lost and freaking out so Ryan here helped me. That’s all.”
Mark glares at Ryan before bringing his eyes down to me. He smiles and brings me into a hug. For a second, I let down my wall and take the embrace in.
Until his arms tighten too much around my waist. “If I learn that you did something else here, I will hurt you,” he warns.
I nod against his chest, trying not to look like I’m in pain. He pulls back but keeps a possessive arm around my waist.
“Well, Ryder. Thanks for keeping my girl here safe,” he sneers at Ryder’s name, like it’s a disease.
Ryan just nods, not taking his eyes away from Mark. Eventually Mark laughs and it causes me to shiver. Not in a good way though. It’s filled with dark promises.
Since when did I become Marks girl? We went out once and he’s acting like this possessive guy.
As Mark drags me off, I look over my shoulder and wave a little at Ryder. He stands there, looking so sad and regretful. I almost run back to him. Almost.
I rip my arm from Marks hold as we reach the opening of the woods. “Who said I was your girl? We went on one date and all of a sudden you’re acting like… this! I won’t be with you if you keep hurting me Mark! It’s not right!” I yell.
I thought he would get angry and start throwing fists but he didn’t. He nods like he was expecting this conversation and it makes me angrier.
“You’re right Vana. I never asked you to be my girlfriend. Here’s the deal,” he walks closer to me and leans down. “You will be my girlfriend Vana. Don’t ever forget, you are mine. I may have only known you a day, but I won’t let you get away from me. Not again,” he murmurs the last thing he said, so quietly I almost didn’t hear it.
But I did and what he said makes no sense. He’s never talked to me before yesterday.
He grabs my upper arm and squeezes so hard I think my arm is going to be torn off. “You say one thing about what I’m doing, I will not hesitate to kill you and your friends Vana,” he grins.
I knew I should have said something and now it’s too late. Before I can do anything, Marks mouth is on mine.
I had always hoped my first kiss would be something magical and not awkward but right now I’d take awkward over this.
He pushes his mouth against mine, hard and demanding. It’s not the soft, sweet kiss I want. It’s the hard, uncaring one instead. It hurts and I squirm away, trying to get out of his grasp.
He let’s go of me and grins. “See, that wasn’t bad.”
I look on, feeling my lips pulse painfully. Whether I like it or not, it looks like I’m stuck with Mark.
I won’t let my decision hurt those that are close to me.

X

I let out a groan as I roll over onto my wrist. I sit up and look at them. It now has dark purple lines around them. I look at my arm and see bruises in the shape of fingers. I groan and wall back into bed, feeling sore. Everything that happened last night is coming back to me and I want to stay in bed for the rest of my life.
After Mark had walked away, I hitched a ride home with a girl from my English class. I couldn’t stand being there around Mark so I left. I’ll bet though that Mark is angry that I did that and I know I have more bruises coming for me.
I hear some muffled talking from downstairs and get up. I had a nightmare and it was repeating over and over again what happened to me last night. I still don’t understand what happened. Ryan didn’t get a chance to tell me.
I open my bedroom door and the quiet talking stopped. I furrow my eyebrows and shake my head in confusion. After a couple seconds and still not hearing anything, I shrug and head to the kitchen.
Uncle Marcus is sitting at the table, reading the newspaper. He ignores me and takes a sip of his coffee. I reach for a bowl and make myself some cereal.
Sitting down at the table, I start to eat but stop when I see the title.
Teen found at field, murdered
I drop the spoon and milk splatters everywhere. I ignore uncle Marcus’s yelling and take the paper from him.
There is a picture of the field with police officers walking around and looking at things. Underneath it talks about how a party had gone on and people reported of hearing screams in the woods.
Someone had called the police and they later found the body of James Myron. He had been beaten but it reports that it wasn’t how he died. On his chest was a symbol that had been burned into his skin.
They don’t know what the symbol means yet but they think that it’s the murders branding.
I set the paper down with shaking hands. I knew James; he was my partner for history last year.
“Morning you two,” aunt Leslie brightly says.
I look over at her with confusion. She’s never this cheery, especially in the morning.
I mutter a morning to her and get back to eating my cereal, thoughts about James swirling around in my head.
“So Nirvana, how about you and me go shopping today?” aunt Leslie asks.
My spoon hands in midair as I try to understand what’s going on. Is the world ending? It sure seems like it.
“Uh, sure. Ok,” I shrug.
She grins and tells me to get ready. Walking out of the kitchen, I look over my shoulder and see them both grinning at each other, as if there is a secret I don’t know about.
Heading upstairs, I get ready. I decide to dress in comfortable clothes, not really feeling up to getting ‘fashioned up’ like China calls it.
Making my way back downstairs, I stop around the corner to the kitchen.
“Well what are we supposed to do then? He wants her Marcus! We can’t stop it.”
Uncle Marcus sighs. “I know, it’s just… why her? I mean, I get how special she is but does this need to happen? Maybe we should just tell her and she can decide.”
“Marcus! We are not going against his orders!” aunt Leslie snaps. “You know what would happen if we did! Besides she’s not that special, she’s just one of the fallen. It happens all the time and they die for a reason. We can’t stop that.”
I lean away and rest my head against the wall. What are they talking about? I’m special? What kind of special? Who’s he? Having heard enough of this conversation, I make sure to make my entrance loud.
“Ready!”
They jump apart like guilty teenagers. I try not to look suspicious as I look at them. They can’t know that I heard them. It sounds like uncle Marcus was trying to talk her out of whatever they are talking about but I don’t think it worked.
Looking at them now, I realize something is going on and I’m not supposed to know. For if I do, it might just be my demise.

Sitting in the car next to aunt Leslie is always awkward. She hates having music on while driving and she doesn’t like talking. So what happens when I’m in the car? Awkward silence.
I look out the window and mentally sigh. Since the mall is in the other town, I have to sit here for an hour. Car rides are always longer when you’re in a situation like mine.
I lay my head on the headrest and let my thoughts wonder. I had to wear a long sleeve shirt because of those stupid bruises. Not that aunt Leslie would notice. Elephants could be in the house and she wouldn’t notice.
I take out my phone and text Marley but she doesn’t answer. I groan and drop my phone into my lap.
“Don’t do that. I’m trying to figure out where to go,” aunt Leslie barks.
I look out to the road and see a sign for the mall. “The mall is a couple exits from now,” I point at the sign.
She rolls her eyes before brightening up. “I brought sodas. Why don’t you pull one out for yourself?”
Quirking a brow, I shrug and reach behind her seat to the small bag. Unzipping it, I pull out a Sprite and sit myself back on the seat. I pop open the top and go to take a sip when aunt Leslie clears her throat.
I look over at her. “What?”
“Could you get me a Coke? Thanks.”
I set my soda down in the cup holder and reach back for her drink. Sitting back down, I hand it to her. She’s grinning like she just won the lottery.
I decide to ignore that look and drink my soda. Putting it down, I look over at her. She looks as if she’s waiting for something to happen. I roll my eyes and watch the cars go by.
“So, how are you?” she asks.
Looking over at her, I furrow my brows. “Uh, I’m doing…great. I guess,” I shrug.
She nods and it goes quiet again. Nothing else is said the rest of the way. Soon we pull into the mall parking lot. After finding a spot, we get out and head inside.
“Where should we start then?” she asks.
If she’s really going to buy me stuff, why not go all out? Grinning, I say, “Let’s go there,” I point to 21 forever.
She nods and looks around nervously. What is going on?

X

After a couple hours of shopping, we finally head home. Deciding to play nice, I turn to her. “Thanks aunt Leslie for taking me shopping. I had fun.”
That’s something I never thought I’d say.
She waves her hand. “Oh it’s fine,” she sighs. She looks over at me before turning back forward. “You know, I never tell you enough but I do love you and I’m sorry if you never thought so.”
Shocked, I sit there for a couple seconds. “Uh, no I always knew,” I lie.
She sits back looking good about herself. “How do you feel?”
“I feel great,” I smile at her.
She nods. “Well then I’m sorry about this.”
I look over at her, confused at her words. Before I can ask what she means, I feel a sharp pain at the back of my head before everything turns black.

X

Hearing the crunch of rocks, I open my eyes and blink away the fog. My head is pounding. I gently rub where it hurts before looking for aunt Leslie in her seat.
If aunt Leslie was there. Blinking my eyes, I memories come back and I gasp. She hit my head!
Angry, I look out my window and see an old looking thing. After looking closer, I see that it’s a building with broken windows and doors hanging off the hinges. Part of the brick building has fallen and half a wall is crumbled onto the ground. Tall yellowish grass surrounds the building and rocks cover the road.
It looks as if it hasn’t been used for years so what are we doing here? And where is aunt Leslie?
Getting out of the car, I look around for her but don’t see anybody. Wading through the tall grass, I look around for anything. It’s completely disserted.
Making my way to the only door that isn’t broken- a steel looking large door- I look around. There’s a broken window next to it and I reach up to look through. The inside is like the outside: broken down.
Old furniture is lying haphazardly around, broken items and antique looking things are also inside. I turn around and look again, hoping to find aunt Leslie.
A crash sounds from inside and I back up a couple steps. Hearing shouting now, I start walking faster to the car. Once I get there, I try to open the door but find it locked.
What is going on?
Freaking out now, I turn around and stare at the building. Looking up, I see a sign I hadn’t before.
State Psychiatric Hospital
“Oh my… what is going on?” I mutter to myself.
“Finally awake I see,” aunt Leslie calls out.
I look down and see her standing in front of the steel door, two large men behind her.
“What’s going on?” I yell.
She smiles and gesture to the building. “I brought you here for a reason Nirvana. The only thing that is going to happen today is a testing. That’s it,” she smiles.
Shaking my head, I decide to run for it. Turning on my heel, I only get a few feet before one of those guys grabs me around my waist and halls me back to aunt Leslie.
I start kicking and trying to get this monster to let me go. Aunt Leslie makes a tsking sound and grabs my jaw, tightly.
“Now listen here girl! You will go in there and do what the boss says, understand?” she warns.
Pulling my chin away from her grasp, I nod my head. As the monster drags me inside, I begin to wonder what testing this is. Is it going to hurt? Who’s the boss?
Before I can ask these questions, I’m thrown into a chair and strapped down with metal cuffs. They chaff against my skin as I pull against them.
“I wouldn’t do that if I were you, Vana,” a deep familiar voice rings out.
Shooting my head up something in me breaks. I know he hasn’t been nice, heck he’s been scary, but I had hoped…
Mark strolls over to me, so at ease like we’re meeting for tea. “I didn’t want it to come to this Vana but the boss wanted you. As his right hand man, it was my job to bring you here. Unfortunately, he couldn’t make it.”
Sitting in this seat as I watch Mark walk around without a care in the world, my heart drops into my stomach. Is there anybody I can trust? Anybody who actually cares about me?
Mark must see the pain on my face because he laughs and crouches down in front of me. “Aw, you actually thought I’d go for a girl like you? Poor pathetic girl,” he shakes his head and stands up. “I’d love to go on but we have things to do. First off, the test.”
Hearing about the test brings me back to the moment. I start moving in my seat. “I won’t do any test!” I yell.
He quirks a brow. “You say that as if you actually have the option.”
Falling back into my seat, I’m stunned. “What do you want from me?”
He sighs. “I don’t want you. My boss wants you, there is a difference,” he puts a black looking rock on my thigh and I look up in confusion. “These two stone will tell me what you are,” he then places a white rock on my other thigh.
He then walks over to a machine and stars messing around with buttons. I look around me and see aunt Leslie, sitting on a leather couch and drinking what looks like scotch. The two goons are standing in front of the door, gun looking things in their hands.
They look like something out of a Men in Black movie. It has a glowing look to it in the middle and a weird looking circle sticks out on top.
I turn back to Mark when I see him coming towards me, cord type things in his hands. “I’m going to put these on your head. Don’t worry, it’ll only hurt a bit,” he smiles.
Swallowing back the urge to curse at him, I sit stock still. What am I supposed to do? I can’t get out of this no matter how much I want to.
He puts those cords on my head; they stick with a glue type residue. Mark goes back to the machine and flips a switch. Instantly, I feel a charge through the cords.
Mark flips another switch and I seize up in pain. My muscles can’t move and clarity leaves my mind. Opening up my mouth, a silent scream leaves me. He flips the switch again and the pain stops.
Before I can even move, he flips the switch again. This time, it feels like my skin is being peeled away from my bones. I let out such a scream that it hurts my throat. The taste of blood is in my mouth and I realize I bit my tongue
I slouch down, breathing harshly. The stones are still on my thighs, but the black one burns. I start moving that leg, the burning sensation becoming too much.
The smell of burning flesh reaches my nose as I let out a pain filled scream. It becomes almost unbearable and I’m ready to just give up when it goes away.
I’m sweaty, my hair is stuck to my forehead and I’m tired again. So tired. Mark picks up the stone and looks at it. I look at my leg and immediately want to look away.
A stone shaped burn is etched into my thigh. The skin around it is lifted up a little, blood slowly dripping out. There is a small symbol in the middle of the circle.
It looks like flames.
Mark makes a sound, like a guttural growl. I look up, scared. He flings the stone at the steel door and it leaves a dent. That was on my thigh?
“You stupid girl!” he throws a chair at the wall and it breaks into pieces.
I cringe back, not sure what I did wrong. Before anybody can do anything, crashes sound throughout the building.
I turn my face away from the windows as glass shatters everywhere. Looking back, I see three figures standing there, large knifes in their hands.
I let out a gasp as one of them throws a smaller knife from their leg at one of the goons. It hits him between his head and he falls over onto his face.
The other one goes from the other goon, throwing punches and kicks. I watch mesmerized as the person does a back flip and does a kick to the goons face. Hearing the sounds of a bone breaking, I turn away.
The third one goes for Mark, but before he can reach him, Mark throws something onto the ground and red smoke appears everywhere. Closing my eyes, I cough against the smoke. Opening my eyes, I see that Mark is gone.
Too exhausted, I let my head fall back. The last thing I see is the concerned face of Ryan looking over me.

X

“You shouldn’t have brought her here! She doesn’t belong Ryan!”
“Of course she belongs here! Where else would she go? She is most protected here!”
Waking up to shouting isn’t on my to-do list. Rubbing my eyes, I sit up and see two shadows in the corner. They turn my way and my eyes widen.
Ryan and Jill are standing there, watching me. Ryan with concern and Jill’s with anger. What did I do now? I try to speak but only a croak comes out. I wince against the pain in my throat.
Ryan rushes over. “Careful there Star. Wouldn’t want you to hurt yourself,” he smiles teasingly.
I shyly smile back and take the cup of water he offers me. After taking some sips, I hand it back to him and lay back down. “Thanks,” I whisper.
Looking around, I realize I’m in a bedroom. It’s painted a dark red with intricate designs on the walls. The bed is black with a golden canopy. The bed is filled with red and black pillows. Red is clearly liked in this room.
“Ryan, let’s go,” Jill demands.
Ryan rolls his eyes. “Jill, hold on. She just woke up!”
She rolls her eyes and leans against the door. I shake my head and look back at Ryan. “Where am I?”
He grins and stands up. “Vana, you are at the Agency.”
Jill snorts. “He calls it the Agency. It’s actually an old building we made pretty,” she grins.
“Vana, it doesn’t matter what we call it. The thing that matters is that you are safe here,” he gestures to Jill and himself. “We are here to protect you.”
I sit up, confused. “Why me?” I ask.
“Because, Vana you are special and it’s our job,” Ryan smirks. Oh great. I’m special. That’s what got me stuck in the first place.

After hearing what Ryan told me, I decided not to be crazy and go off the walls. I mean, he did save me after all. Only because it’s his job of course.
Ryan left shortly after and shot a look at Jill before sending me wink and closing the door after him. I haven’t known Jill long, we talked once, but I have a hunch this girl doesn’t like me.
It could be the glare that she is currently sending my way.
I swing my feet out from the blanket and sit up. I wait until my head stops spinning before standing up. Looking down, I realize I’m in a large t-shirt with the Rolling Stones tongue sticking out.
“Ryan insisted I change you into that. It’s his,” she grounds out.
I nod my head. “Could I change back into my clothes?”
She shakes her head. “Those clothes are no longer around. I burned them,” she turns around and picks up a pile of clothes from a chair. “These are my moms; you’re about the same height.”
I take them with a quiet thanks and head towards the bathroom. Inside is the walls are a dark blue with white tiles on the floor. The sink is large and sees through. A large shower with a huge shower head sits to the side.
Putting down the clothes, I hop in the shower. I don’t take long since I feel awkward standing here. I have a feeling that Jill is waiting for me and I’d hate to make her angrier.
Once done, I towel dry my hair and look at the clothes Jill handed me. A red sweater with gray sweatpants and socks. The bra and panties are mine so that’s a relief.
I throw my semi-dry hair up into a messy bun and open the door. As I had thought, Jill is sitting on the bed. “Finally,” she mutters.
I look down and ignore her stare. This girl could make a wrestler bow down at her feet.
“Alright, stay here. I’ll get Ryan, he’s going to show you around,” she demands.
I nod and sit on the edge of the bed. After a couple seconds I realize I’ve been biting my nails. A bad habit I can’t seem to break when nervous.
“Hey sorry. Cameron needed help with something. Ready for the tour? It’s free,” he grins.
I smile a little. “Sure.”
I get up and walk out the door that he holds open. The hallway is long with a rug running down it. Benches with pillows are in between the doors, which I guess are bedrooms. Why so many?
“My parents like to take in people who need help,” Ryan says.
Oops. Must have said that aloud. “Oh? That’s nice of them.”
He makes a nose that I believe is the typical male answer. I smile to myself, trying not to laugh.
We turn a corner and enter a living room. A large plasma screen TV hangs on the wall, a DVD player on a stand beneath it. Movies are inside the stand, a lot of movies.
A large gray couch sits against the back wall, a table in front of it. A recliner is on the side by the window. White curtains hang from the rod, blowing into the room from the wind.
The walls are painted a nice green color, making it soothing just standing inside this room. The floor is shiny hardwood with a large run over the middle where the table is.
Ryan points to the TV. “We guys are here a lot for football games.”
We continue our tour and enter the kitchen. I marvel at the beauty, never seeing something so large.
It’s all very clean with a marble granite island in the middle of the kitchen, stools on the side. Large counter space with a stove built in, one of those flat surface stoves.
A large metal looking fridge sits at the end of the counter. A microwave is in the island. A large table sits in front of windows, two doors near it that lead to the patio.
“The kitchen is everyone’s favorite spot,” Ryan chuckles.
I shiver as I hear it. So deep and masculine, it would make any girl shiver. He puts his hand on the small of my back and the heat sears my skin.
“I’ll show you the rest later. Allan, my uncle, wants to meet you in his study.”
I can only nod as I’m still enjoying the touch of his hand on my back. Is it crazy that a simple touch, with a bulky sweater, could heat my skin so much? Even if it was, I can’t seem to make myself care right now.
As we reach a closed door, I let out a sigh of relief when he removes his hand. I finally feel like I’m in charge again, not feeling like a wilted flower begging for water on a hot day.
In this case, begging for Ryan.
He knocks on the wooden door and I notice weird looking shapes on carved into it.
“Come in,” a muted voice calls out.
Ryan opens the door and I step in. The walls are covered, floor to ceiling, wall to wall, with book cases. Every one of them is filled with books, some looking brand new and others looking so old from before Shakespeare.
It smells of expensive cigars and cologne. A fireplace sits between two windows. A dark looking desk sits in the middle of the room, behind it an older man who must be Allan.
He’s quit tall with salt and pepper type hair. Gray beard and mustache adorn his face. He’s wearing a dark striped suit with expensive looking shiny black shoes. This guy screams money.
While is blue eyes sparkle with mirth there is something about him that puts me on edge but I can’t figure out why.
“Hello! You must be Nirvana! Interesting name little one,” he muses.
I blush. “Yeah, it’s… interesting.”
I could slap myself. I sounded like a dolt.
Ryan chuckles before gently pushing me towards a brown leather sofa that was in the corner. I sit down, crossing my legs. I look up at Allan and Ryan who are talking quietly.
“Not that I’m ungrateful but what happened? Why did you come and… save me?” I ask uncertainly.
Ryan sends a look at Allan and he nods before he sits down. “Dear, we here are a special force. We like to… protect those who need it.”
I lift a brow. “So I need protection? From who?”
Ryan leans against the desk, his t-shirt clinging against his chest. For a second it distracts me before I shake my head. Calm down, Vana.
Allan clears his throat. “Unfortinuntly, I can’t say that. For you safety, you understand?”
“You are all protecting me from someone who I can’t know?” I sigh, leaning back into the couch. “Ok, then why is this person after me?” I ask exasperation in my voice.
“I told you earlier Vana. You are special,” Ryan says.
I groan. “I get that but how? I’m no different than any other teen girl.”
Before anybody can answer my question, there is a knock on the door. “Come in,” Allan calls.
Jill walks in with two other people and I absently wonder where Cameron is.
The two people behind her are younger then Allan. The woman is around the same height as me with long black curly hair. She’s wearing black slacks and a white button up. Her green eyes shine though fatigue around them.
The man is taller, around the height of Ryan. He has brown hair and blue eyes. He’s wearing black suit pants with a striped shirt.
Their parents.
Ryan smiles at them before gesturing to me. “Mom, dad this is Nirvana Landry. Vana, this is Melanie and Richard, my parents.”
They share a look before smiling over at me. Does everyone read minds here or something? I shake their hands and smile back.
“It’s nice to meet you Nirvana,” Melanie and Richard chime at the same time.
More than a little overwhelmed, I just give them a small smile. Though I’m sure it looks more like a grimace. Allan stands up, brining all our attention to him.
“Nirvana here was just asking some questions,” he lifts a brow towards Melanie and Richard.
Melanie’s smile slips a little before coming back, brighter than be. Defiantly fake.
She turns to me. “Well, we’d love to answer your questions Nirvana, but we can’t. At least not right now,” she hurries to say when seeing my look.
Groaning in frustration, I hop up from my spot on the couch. “Why all the secrecy? I’m here! I want to know what’s happening to me!” I snap.
They all share a look. Fed up, I throw my hands in the air and storm out of the room. A little dramatic maybe but come on! They’re keeping something big about my life. Something that could end up with me dead.
Not knowing where I’m going, I just walk until I’m calm enough to think. I’ve ended up in a hallway with one door at the end. It’s large with a dragon on it.
Curious, I reach out for the knob and twist. When I realize it’s open, I push it.
There are no lights that I can see so I jump back when an old kerosene lamp that hangs on a hook ignites. I look back over my shoulder, not sure I should be down here.
After a moment’s hesitation, I shrug and grab the lamp before making my way down a set of stairs. It reminds me of an old castle, brick walls and brick stairs.
After almost tripping on a lifted stone, I finally make it to the bottom. As I step down from the last step, a large gust of wind hits me, causing my blond hair to blow back behind me wildly.
The wind dies and all of a sudden, lamps ignite one by one along the walls. Cautiously, I walk forward. The small hallway leads to another door.
This one has a metal circle on it, angel wings in the middle. I push against, expecting it to just open but it doesn’t. Taking a step back, I look over it.
The angel wings are open and large, spanning half the door. The color of blood hangs off the tips of the wings. Feeling the urge to touch it, I run my finger tips over them and feel heat.
Reaching the middle, I place my finger there and the door opens with a clanking sound. I step back, watching as it opens.
The wings close in and curl around the middle as the door opens. Lifting up the lamp, I enter the room.
The room is huge. The first level is filled with leather chairs and couches. The walls are covered by book shelves. Winding stairs lead to the second floor and up there is more book shelves.
The ceiling is rounded, painted glass that leaves colored splashes of light stream through the room. I narrow my eyes but can’t get a good look at what the paintings are.
Walking forward, I lightly brush my fingers over the spines of the books. Like Allan’s study, the books here are very old looking. Unlike his study though, is that some of the books look much older than Shakespeare.
Shaking my head, I continue looking around. Candles hang in chandeliers, diamonds hanging from them. Candles are strewn over desks and side tables.
The odd thing: the candles are lit.
I thought it was weird how the lamps lit up and now the candles are already burning with flames. Turning in a circle, I gaze at the ceiling.
I still can’t see what the pictures are but I know they are beautiful. They would have to be; to be shown in this place.
Following the winding steps, I come up to the second floor. A large table with chairs sits in the middle. Books and papers are strewn all over the place, looking to have been left in the middle of being read.
Hearing a crunch noise, I glance down. A book is lying on the ground, open. Bending down, I close it and look at the cover.
The history of Protectors.

The protectors; one who protects.
Since the beginning of time, the world was naught without help. Many of those in need prayed and were overjoyed when they got answers.
Most prayed for someone to watch over their selves, or loved ones. Those were called, Protectors. Humans know them as Angels.
Once they were sent from the Heavens itself, they stayed with their charge until their job was done. It could be comforting the ill, depressed and those who grieve.
But sometimes, they were sent to protect. Protect those who were taken by the enemy or are on the run for their life. The Protectors rarely showed themselves except during the most trying times.
Protectors were made by God for that reason alone. To comfort and protect. Humans have said that it feels like warmth that radiates through their body during their coldest moments. Before death some have said it’s like a bright white light.
Those were and are the Protectors.
I look up from the page I was reading. So that’s what they are. I close it and carefully place it on the table before picking up the lamp. For being so old these books are casually thrown around a lot.
Turning, I make my way down the staircase and head through the large door with angel wings on it. Not knowing how to close it, I touch the middle again. The wings slowly spread out like before as the door closes.
At the end of the hall, I hang the lamp back in its place. Turning around, I face the staircase. Taking a deep breath, I start my way up the stairs.
Reaching the door, I go to push it open but as I lean against it, it opens by itself.
Or I had hoped it was opened by itself.
Allan stands on the other side, grinning. Though that smile is on his face, his eyes speak something different. Dangerous, evil.
“Oh, sorry. I was just looking around and found this door. I was just curious is all,” I ramble.
He lifts a brow and smirks. “Calm down Nirvana. You are allowed to walk around as you want. Besides, it’s not like there is anything down there. Right?” he drawls.
He’s looking at my face intently. Obviously to see if I’ve seen the… book room? Library? Whatever it’s called, I won’t let him know. Something is telling me to lie.
“No, nothing down there. Kind of disappointing,” I shrug.
He nods. “If you have had enough of exploring, we’d all like you to come into the living room,” he swings his hand in the general direction of the living room.
I nod and hurry past him, not liking the fact that I can’t see him. Finding the living room, I see that everyone is already seated.
Cameron is here, sitting on the couch. Jill is next to him and for a second I had thought she was sitting on his…lap? I shake my head. Had to be wrong and must have blinked or something.
Melanie and Richard are standing in front of the fire place, quietly chatting. Ryan’s back is to us, standing in front of the white curtained window.
His hands are in his blue jeans pockets. His white t-shirt strains against his muscles. Arms and shoulders.
I decide to sit in the recliner. I lean back and get comfortable, ready for whatever is thrown at me. Or at least I think I am.
Melanie steps forward. “Nirvana, do not think that we want to keep you in the dark. We have to and it’s for your safety. Honest,” she places her hand on mine.
I know I have two good friends, but I can’t remember the touch of a mother. How soft and comforting it is, especially in a time of need.
Blinking away the tears, I nod my head afraid to say anything. I look down, not wanting them to see this weakness. They all seem so strong and… warrior like.
Richard comes forward. “Nirvana-“
I hold my hand up. “If my name is going to be used a lot, could you all just say Vana? It’s easier.”
They all nod, except for Ryan, Jill and Cameron. Richard carries on. “Vana, trust us and know that you are perfectly safe here. No harm will come to you in a house of Protectors. Alright?” his firm tone makes me nod.
Allan steps forward. “How about dinner? I’m starving and could use something.”
Before we can do something about our hunger, Melanie holds up her hand. “As much as I’d love to eat, Richard and I have a…mission,” she slants her eyes towards me. “We must pack and leave quickly.”
I look over at their kids, thinking that they would look a little bit disappointed. As far as I know, their parents just got home and are leaving again.
They don’t look disappointed, or surprised. Melanie and Richard must leave quit a lot. Since they are here, they must be Protectors also. Guess that explains why they leave a lot.
Richard lays a hand on Melanie’s shoulder. “We shouldn’t be gone long, just a short and easy mission,” he smiles reassuringly.
Allan walks over to the middle of the room. “Everything will be fine here. Gives Nirvana and I some time to get… acquainted,” he grins over at me.
I don’t want to get acquainted with him but I nod anyway. It’s best not to get on the bad side of these people. Besides, it might just me being paranoid about Allan. I hope.
Richard smiles. “Good. When we get back, we’ll have a nice long chat.”
Melanie nods and leads the way out of the living room. I watch them go and ignore the anxious feeling welling up inside me.

X

I’m leaning against the island, eating an orange. I chew as I watch Cameron and Jill. They are weird siblings. When they aren’t shooting looks, they are always near each other.
Jill is currently leaning against the chair that Cameron is sitting in. She’s showing him something funny on her phone.
I’m about to ask what’s so funny when Ryan walks into the room. With the past hour I have been able to really think about anything other than Protectors and who’s after me.
So when Ryan walks into the room, I nearly drop my orange. He must have taken a shower; his hair is wet and slicked back. He’s wearing black jeans with zippers all over and pockets.
Large boots adorn his feet and a white t-shirt is covered with a leather jacket.
It’s a miracle I’m still standing here.
“I need my things,” I say.
I almost wish I hadn’t said anything. They all turn to me; as if they forgot I’m here.
Jill throws a look at Ryan and pulls Cameron out of the kitchen, mumbling about hating babysitting.
Scowling, Ryan walks over to me. He picks up an apple from the fruit bowl and takes a bite. “You will stay here and I will go get what you need,” he says firmly.
I straighten up, narrowing my eyes. “Uh no. I,” I point to myself. “Will go with you,” I point to him.
His smirk disappears. “It’s too dangerous Vana! I can’t go there and be worried about you walking into someone who wants you dead.”
Huffing, I walk over to him. “I don’t need you to look after me! I can take care of myself, just fine,” I glare.
A dark look appears on his face. I nearly take a step back, not because I think he’d hurt me-he wouldn’t- but how fierce he looks. Like a warrior.
He leans in, close to my ear and when he talks, I shiver as the whisper of his words reach me. “You don’t realize it but Vana, you need me and I won’t let a single hair be touched on your head.”
He pulls back a little. I’m breathing heavy, eyes wide in anticipation. “Vana, you don’t understand and you probably won’t but let me tell you… I like you and I will always protect you,” he growls.
He steps back and takes his apple. Gone the look of darkness, now the smirk is back on. “We leave in an hour.”

X

Cameron hands me a jacket as I walk into the hallway. It’s overly large and hangs to my knees. As I put it on, I catch a whiff of men’s cologne. Ryan’s cologne. I hide the large smile that makes its way onto my face.
I thank Cameron and he smiles. “It’s nothing kid. Come on, we have to get suited up first,” he wiggles his eyebrows.
Laughing, I nod my head and follow after him. Ryan and Jill are bickering behind me. Something they always seem to do.
We turn another corner and stand in front of a door. This one is old and made out of wood. Cameron pushes it open ushers us into the room.
There is nothing but white flooring and white walls. It’s completely bare in here and I’m about to ask what we’re doing here when Ryan pushes on the wall.
I gasp as the wall opens, revealing another room. I look around in awe as I walk through the door.
Inside the walls are covered with guns, swords, knifes and other things. Some I haven’t even seen before. The weird gun like thing that Mark had his goons use are also hanging on the wall.
I stay away from those. Not only is there weapons, but there is also ropes, belts, shoes and black suits.
I realize that they are all dressed to pack things. Ryan and Cameron and wearing large pants with zippers and pockets, black t-shirts and leather jackets. Ryan has a sword sheath on his back. Jill is dressed the same, but of course her clothes are tighter.
All of them are grabbing knifes, swords and those gun like things. I can only stand back and watch as they talk about how tonight will go down. I had just thought it would be a quick go and get situation. Apparently not.
“What are those called?” I point at the guns.
Jill smirks and holds it up. It makes a surging sound before glowing blue. “This is our special weapon. It’s called a gun,” she laughs.
I roll my eyes and cross my arms. “Very funny,” I mutter.
Ryan places his hand on my shoulder. “It’s a plasma gun. It’s like a gun but shoots a special substance to kill.”
“Special people,” I finish for him.
He taps my nose before putting the plasma gun in his pants. “Now you’re getting it! Alright let’s go!”
“Hey, don’t I get anything?”
Jill snorts. “No, you wouldn’t be able to use them. You don’t know how,” she sings.
I could punch her. I glare at her before turning to Ryan. “How am I supposed to protect myself? What if something happens to you guys?” I say, waving my hands around.
Ryan grabs them and pulls me forward a little bit. I try not to blush at how close we are. Our noses are almost touching. “You won’t be left alone for something bad to happen to you. Trust me.”
He lets go and walks out of the room. Jill follows, shaking her head. Cameron throws me a smile and walks with me until we make it to the car. I slide in and buckle up.
Cameron drives with Ryan in the passenger seat. Which leaves me to sit next to Jill. We ignore each other and that’s fine by me.
As we reach my street, I furrow my brows. Uncle Marcus is putting boxes in his car. Boxes and suitcases. I hop out of the car before Cameron can get to a full stop. I ignore the three yelling people and head to uncle Marcus.
“Uncle Marcus!” I yell.
He jumps, startled and turns around. He hurries to put the box in the car once he sees it’s me. I hurry over to him and catch him after he closes the trunk.
Slightly out of breath, I lean onto the car. “Uncle Marcus what’s going on?”
He groans and runs his hands down his face. “Nirvana… I never wanted this to happen to you. You were brought to us for a reason and this wasn’t it,” he rambles.
I touch his hand and he jerks it back like it burned him. “You didn’t want what to happen? What’s going on?”
He looks at me and sighs. “I can’t tell you Nirvana. Just listen to this one last tip I have for you,” he leans in. “Don’t trust anybody. No one Nirvana,” he hurries to get into his car and drives off.
Standing there, his last words run through my mind, over and over again. Don’t trust anybody.
Turning around, I take a step and get pushed onto the ground. Groaning, I go to get up when Jill’s frantic whispers reach me. “Don’t get up! Somebody’s here!”
I lift my head a bit to get my grounds and wish I hadn’t. Cameron is lying on the ground a couple feet away. Ryan is still fighting but looking more tired by the second. Jill is hovering over me, making sure nobody gets close I guess.
A blast of air hits us and Jill goes flying. I scream and cover my head with my arms. I feel a stinging on my thigh and I remember that stone that burned me. Everything goes quiet and I hear the crunching sound of footsteps.
I look through my arms and see Mark. I gasp and start to roll away when he kicks my stomach. I stop moving and groan in pain. He rolls me over with his foot and sets his boot on my throat. I grab onto his foot and try to pry it away from me.
He chuckles. “You won’t be able to hide forever Vana. My boss wants you and he will get you,” he removes his foot and I draw in air. “But don’t worry, I’ll let you live for now. I’ll come back later,” he winks and disappears.
With a groan, I fall down and let the familiar blackness take me away.

I open my eyes to see the blue sky, not a cloud in site. The gently breeze sways the tall grass, the leaves of the trees. With one leg on the swing, I use my other to gently push myself.
Lying on my back, I hum a song. I’ve never heard of it but it’s catchy and won’t leave my mind. It’s beautiful too.
“It’s a beautiful place isn’t it?” a light voice interrupts my humming.
I slowly sit up, not afraid. I turn to the voice and gasp. The woman is tall with long blond hair. Flowers are intertwined with her braids throughout her hair. Her porcelain skin glows with natural beauty. Blue eyes and rosy cheeks with perfect shaped lips.
“Yes, it is beautiful. Where am I?” I ask.
My hand goes to my throat. My voice doesn’t sound like it usually does. It sounds like the woman’s before me.
She waves a hand towards the land. “You my dear are at my home.”
I lift a brow. “Why am I here though?”
She smiles. “You are here because I called you,” her smile falls. “Though, as much as I wish it wasn’t, I didn’t call you for a friendly chat. Nirvana, you are in danger.”
I snort. “Yeah, I know. My life did a 180 on me and I have no idea what’s going on. Nobody will tell me!” I throw my hands up in frustration.
She smoothes my hair down with her hand. “You can trust Ryan, Jill and Cameron. They are just as confused as you are. They don’t know about everything and they will learn as they follow alongside you my dear,” she turns and looks over the green pastures. “Nirvana… I won’t lie, there is tough times coming but you have those three. Keep them close and only trust them.”
I nod. “Who’s doing this? And why me?”
Her face is grim when she answers. “You are special Nirvana. You will do great things but to succeed, you will pay the ultimate sacrifice,” she whispers.
Before I can ask anything else though, I’m pulled from the beautiful place and the woman with answers.

X

I pull the green blades of grass before tossing the clump to the side. The sun is shining and for a moment, I’m suspended back into that dream.
Turning my head to the side, I realize that I’m not in the dream. Ryan, Jill and Cameron are sparring, practicing the way of arts. I watch Ryan with awe at how graceful he looks, steady like a warrior.
It’s been a couple weeks since I first got here. Richard and Melanie, I learned, are gone quite a bit on missions. Allan is always around, watching us. He’s still creepy and something is there, something bad but I can’t seem to figure it out.
It’s also been a couple weeks since that dream. I keep hearing her last words: you will pay the ultimate sacrifice. It sends shivers up my spine when I think of it. I haven’t told anybody, I’m not really sure what to say about.
Watching them spar, I think back over the past few weeks. Richard and Melanie had returned a couple days later after I had my dream. They told me as much as they know. Or at least as much as they can tell me.
Mark is working for someone, whose name is unknown. I already knew that and hoped for information I hadn’t already learned.
Mark isn’t Mark anymore. Whoever his boss is; changed him. They wouldn’t tell me how they changed him just that they did. I think that was more for me than anything else.
That’s all they knew though, not much. Allan said they are trying to figure out everything before they try to go after him. It’s not smart, he said.
Hearing footsteps, I turn and look up. Ryan grins down at me and holds out his hand. I take it and he pulls me up. I let out a gasp when I crash into his chest. I start fumbling, muttering a sorry.
He chuckles and sets a hand on my waist. “Nothing to be sorry for Star,” he gently pushes me to the house. “So how is everything? We’ve been busy with training and haven’t really sat to relax.”
I nod. “It’s all good, well as good as it can be. I’m getting a little antsy I guess,” I shrug.
He frowns before a grin lights up his face. “I have an idea. Be ready in an hour!” he calls over his shoulder.
I stop and stand there. What just happened? Shaking my head, I head inside and to my room. I finally got moved when Ryan thought it was safe. Though, I just moved across the hall from him. I’m not complaining.
Making my way to my dresser, I pull out a purple tank top and a pair of gray jeans. I set them on the bed and go to the attached bathroom. It’s like Ryan’s but with more boring colors.
I take my hair out of its braids and finger comb through my hair. It’s wavy and shiny. Slicking on some mascara and lip gloss, I step back and nod. Good as anything I guess.
Walking to the bed, I pull on my clothes. Since I don’t know where Ryan will be taking me, I put on my cropped leather jacket. I decide on gray ballet flats.
Making my way to the living room, I stop in the doorway. Ryan is standing in front of the couch. It’s not the clothes that surprise me; he’s wearing what he usually wears. Dark jeans, rock t-shirt and biker boots.
It’s just… him. The way his eyes light up when I enter the room. Or the smile that I found is only real around me. He usually smirks and turns into this stone like person around other people.
I still haven’t found out why when I first met him he seemed so familiar. Even after all this time there is a familiarity about him, like I’ve known him for years.
The feeling of how special he makes me feel with just a smile. Like I’m the only one for him, as if he’s loved me forever.
Making my way over to him, I watch as that light enters his eyes. A large smile spreads across his face. He gently moves a piece of my hair that had fallen, setting it behind my ear. “You look beautiful Star. Just beautiful.”
He leans in and my breath hitches. We move closer and our noses gently bump. I smile a little and tilt my head up, ready to settle my lips against his. Before I can do that though, he pulls back.
The light has dimmed and his smile turned into a smirk. I ignore the pain that hit my chest. I step away from him, trying to talk through the uncomfortable silence.
“I’m ready when you are,” I say quietly.
He nods and walks around me. I let out a sigh and follow after him to the door. I don’t know what’s going to happen but I hope nothing bad happens.

X

I squeeze my arms tighter around Ryan’s torso, letting my head fall down between his shoulder blades.
Opening my eyes, I see the world pass by in streaking colors. Being on a motorcycle is weird. Feeling the wind hit you, having to hold tight for fear of falling off around sharp corners.
But the good thing about riding motorcycles is having someone to hold onto. You don’t have to worry about getting uncomfortable. You have to hold on to the person so you don’t fall off. You don’t have to worry about seeing their face as you wrap your arms around them tightly.
Before I know it, he parks his bike on the street. I sit up and look around to see if anything is familiar; it’s not.
Ryan helps me off as I almost fell on my butt. Perfect first date material. After fixing my hair from the helmet, I turn around to see the building.
The Theater.
I look up at Ryan with confusion and he smiles. “I didn’t want to go somewhere cliché with you so I thought of the theater,” I keep my face blank. “Or we can go somewhere else if you want.”
I shake my head. “No! I uh, it’s great. I haven’t been to the theater before. What are we going to see?”
He grins and grabs my hand. I try not to show how excited I am and instead turn my head away. He pulls me through the doors. “Usually they have Operas but honestly, it’s not my thing. So, I chose this night for a reason. Come on!” he pulls me.
I start laughing as we turn corner after corner. I don’t ask how he knows where to go, afraid my heart might not like the answer. Instead, I follow along and let myself enjoy the time.
The halls are red and gold with old style cushioned seats lining the walls and large tables with vases filled with flowers. Chandeliers hang from the ceiling, sparkling.
We slow down as we reach a large black curtain. I look around, finally seeing that no one else is here. The halls have been empty the entire time. I turn around to ask Ryan but stop.
The curtain is open and Ryan is standing next to it. But it’s what’s beyond that has me stopping. The stage is large, holding prop buildings of every size. I walk forward onto the stage, Ryan following. I turn to the front of the stage and see row after row of seats, thousands of them.
I turn around and see Ryan standing there, smiling at me. I’ve always had a thing for old stuff. Historical stories, history class, old music, clothes worn from the 1900’s. The theater though, I’ve always wanted to go.
“Are we going to see something?” I ask.
My voice echoes across the stage. Ryan laughs and claps his hands once. Before I know it, the lights go out. I gasp and look around. The entire floor is covered in stars and planets.
“They use these for special effects during the shows,” he whispers.
I jump and turn around. Ryan stands in front of me. He’s leaning down a bit so we are eye to eye. I can’t see anything but his outline.
“What is this?” I ask quietly.
It’s silent for a couple of seconds before he answers. “At first it was just for you to do something and not be stuck at the house. But when I was standing in my room, getting ready, I thought that this could be more,” his hands comes up to my neck.
My breath hitches. “What do you mean, could be more?”
“It means, Vana that I want more than just you as a friend. I want you to be mine,” he says. “I’ve wanted you since the second I met you. I care for you Vana. A lot.”
He wants me. He actually likes me! Wait, do I want him? I know we have a familiarity and we go together like peanut butter and jelly for a lack of better words. So why am I not speaking?
“Vana do you want me?” he gruffly asks.
I swallow before nodding. “Yeah, I do. There’s something about you Ryan. I just… don’t know why I feel so close to you. I haven’t known you long, I barely know much about you, in yet it feels like I’ve known you forever.”
He sighs. “The world is a tricky place Vana, remember that for the future.”
It goes quiet. My thoughts are swirling and wondering what’s going to happen now.
Ryan claps and the lights come back on. I blink against the harsh light until Ryan comes into focus. He’s standing straight now, staring down at me with unreadable eyes.
I don’t know what’s going to happen now but I won’t be scared away. I wrap my arms around his waist and lay my head on his chest. Closing my eyes, I inhale his scent. Cinnamon and male.
He sets his chin on my head, gently swaying back and forth. He hands are wrapped around my waist, nearly settling on my hips.
We don’t talk, we don’t have to. I only know that no matter what happens, I won’t let him go.

X

We left soon after, deciding to go for pizza. I enjoy the ride more now, with the knowledge that he’s mine. It sounds weird to be saying that, that someone is all yours. I wouldn’t change it for the world though.
He grabs onto my hand as we make our way to the pizza place. Stepping in the door, I take in the smells of pizza and breadsticks.
I smile up at Ryan. “Hey I’m going to use the bathroom. Be right back.”
He nods. “Pepperoni?”
I nod and make my way to the bathroom. It’s in the back of the restaurant, nowhere near the booths. Finally finding it, I go in.
After finishing, I wash my hands and open the door. Before I can look up, I’m pushed back into a stall. Gasping, I look through the curtain of my hair.
Mark!
I stumble up and backwards, looking all around for anything to help me out of this situation. Mark laughs at my struggle, looking on with amusement.
“I’ve already told you! You won’t be able to escape me Vana,” he grins.
He walks swiftly over to me and before I can blink, he touches my forehead. Falling to the ground, I land with a thud.
Looking through blurry eyes, I only see Mark’s face as he leans over me in a haze. My last thought; I’m getting tired of this darkness.

“Wake up!” a gruff voice yells out.
I sit up with a gasp as freezing cold water hits my face. I sputter and cough before pushing my wet hair from my face.
A large man with a scowl on his face stares down at me. A long ragged scar is on his face, from his forehead and curves down to his chin. He’s really big and smells like someone who hasn’t showered in years.
I look around frantically. I’m in a metal cell, sitting on a small cot that has seen better years. It’s not wet and smells of mold. I stand up and nearly fall when my head spins. I groan and lean against the wall.
The man laughs and spits at my feet. “You are a worthless human! I told the boss you’d be useless but no he said! He said that you’d be amazing and that we need patience. Ha!” he laughs.
I look at him with disgust and confusion. I have no idea what he’s talking about. What did he mean by human? Isn’t he human?
He must see the look on my face because he storms over to me and lands a large hand by my head. I shrink back as far as I can.
As he speaks, I try not to gag at the smell of his breath. “You little miss, are mine when boss realized that you are nothing!”
“Step away from her Sergei,” the deep demanding voice called out.
Mark steps out from the darkness and I gasp. He doesn’t look like Mark anymore. His voice is deeper, guttural. His face is cracked, like a mirror that’s been hit. Blood doesn’t fall from the cracks though; instead a dim looking yellow light shines beneath his skin.
He laughs, a sound that sends shivers of fear down my spine. “Yes, little light. You finally realize that I’m not that piece of filth Mark.”
Little light? “W-what are you?” I ask shakily.
Smirking, he walks over to me. He’s so calm and walks with confidence. “Little light, we won’t get into that right now. Maybe later,” he winks.
I scoff, forgetting whose company I’m in. The evil thing- because I know now that it’s not Mark- pounds the wall by my head. What’s with these two and walls?
“Don’t laugh little light. I may joke but I’m dangerous. Very dangerous,” he growls into my ear.
I nod and let out a breath of relief when he moves away. He paces in front of me, back and forth.
“Little light, I’m curious to know. Do you know anything? Anything about who you are maybe?” he lifts a questioning brow.
I shake my head. “I don’t understand what you’re asking.”
I move away from the wall and sit down on the edge of the cot. It’s squishy but I have nowhere else to sit.
He groans, throwing his hands in the air. “They told you nothing? I’d understand if your buddies,” he sneers. “Wouldn’t know but the old man? He’d know.”
Old man? Allan! I look up at him, shocked. He nods with growing excitement. “Yes! Yes, he knows all about you,” he walks over to the cell door.
He steps out and closes it behind him. “I’d love to talk more, but I have business to attend to. Good day, little light.”
I watch as he walks away, closing the large cell door behind him. After a couple of seconds of sitting there, I hear a scream along with a growl. I cringe, thinking about what could be happening.
With a groan, I flop back onto the wet bed and ignore the wetness on my back. Tossing my arm over my face, I hope to everything that Ryan is doing all that he can to save me.

X

I cringe against the sound of the cell door opening. It rubs against the floor, emanating a screeching noise. I look up from where I was laying down and jump to my feet when I see Sergei.
His hulking body stands between the cell door and my freedom. Resisting the urge to bolt, I tell myself now isn’t the time. I watch as Sergei stalks over to me, a permanent scowl etched into his face.
“Boss wants you to join him for dinner,” he smirks.
I swallow and nod my head. I stand up shakily and follow after him. I have no, shoes on they must have fallen off when I was brought here. The ground is rocky and I wince every time I step on a sharp edge. There is mud and I’m sure other things. I’m glad I can’t see the ground.
I stumble along after Sergei, not sure what to expect. This guy wants me to come to dinner? Looking and smelling like this? I shake my head at myself. Now isn’t the time to think about how much I smell.
I step up the hard stairs and when Sergei opens the door, I throw my hand over my eyes against the brightness. Blinking, I follow Sergei through another door.
A long hallway, with red carpets and golden doors that line the walls. Old pictures of people hang on the white painted walls with intricate designs on the frames.
The soft carpet feels good on my battered feet and I almost let out a sigh when the scent of fresh out of the oven bread reaches my nose.
“Are you going to stand there like an idiot, or follow me to the dining room?” Sergei sneers.
I hurry after him, not wanting to make him mad. I keep my eyes down the rest of the way.
Sergei stops at a large golden door and knocks once. A muffled come in sounds from the other side and Sergei pushes the door open.
The room is fairly large. The walls are a deep red with white designs. The ceiling is a light gold with dark brown embellishments. Two chandeliers hang from the ceiling, the fire on top of the lit candles dance around.
A long table with 10 chairs sits in the middle of the room, on top of a purple and red rug. A huge mirror hangs on the wall, flowers all around it.
As I stand there, I realize this guy really loves red and gold. It’s everywhere in the house. Hearing the familiar sound of throat clearing, I sharply turn to see Ma-the guy standing to the side by the mirror.
“Nice of you to finally joining me little light. Won’t you have a seat,” he demands.
I make my way over to a chair, resisting the urge to look in the mirror as I past it. Sergei pulls the chair out for me and once seated, pushes it in so far, I have to suck in my stomach. I glare at him as he leaves the room.
“Tonight’s meal is going to be splendid. Guess what we are having.”
Guess the meal? Is that some new game? Keeping my sarcastic thoughts to myself, I answer. “Spaghetti?”
He slams his hand on the table, causing me to jump. “No, we are not having spaghetti! Who do you think I am to have such a horrible meal?” he walks over to me. “No my dear little light, we are having a grand feast tonight!” he claps his hands.
All of a sudden, a door pops open and two people who look like chefs come out with large silver trays. One of them comes over to me and places a covered dish on the table. I look up and see ma-the man sitting down with a grin.
He nods and the two chefs pull the cover off the dish.
I want to run. I want to scream. I want out of here!
On the plate is an arm. Not an animal arm but a human arm. It’s charred like they over cooked a piece of ham. I hold the bile in, the scent of burnt flesh finally reaching my nose.
The man chuckles. “Silly little light, thought I’d actually feed you. No, this meal is for me,” he says.
He takes a big bite of an arm and I look away and try to ignore the sounds. Finally, it stops but I don’t look back.
“Little light, do you know what I am?”
I look up and shake my head. There is blood around his mouth and he seems quite comfortable with it there. I on the other hand, don’t.
“Why don’t I tell you my name first? My name, dear little light, is Andras. Pleasure to meet you,” he grins.
Blood is all I see as he smiles. I try to look somewhere else, but he-Andras- demands that I look.
Sitting up straight, I look straight at him. “I find it’s not a pleasure to have met you,” I state.
His eyes narrow before he lets out a laugh. I squint, not expecting that. “Little light! You are strong. Very stubborn I bet too.”
“I can be stubborn Andras,” I say.
He leans back into his seat, an arm swung over the back of it. He looks at me for a couple of minutes, silence around us. “How about a deal, hm? You tell me what I need to know and I’ll tell you what you need to know,” he grins.
“How do you know what I need?” I ask with a glare.
He smirks, his dark eyes lighting up with disgust. “Because little light, I know everything about you.”
I shiver, disgusted at his words. “What do you need to know?”
“I want to know what you know.”
I lift a brow. “I don’t know anything. All I know is that your boss wants me for some reason! One thing happened and now I’m here!” I shout.
He nods his head. “Well, then I suppose I will just have to tell you what I know.”
I nod my head for him to continue. “Little light, I think you know by now that I’m not normal. Nothing that has happened to you is normal,” I look down at my leg, knowing the scar is there. “Ah, the scar. The stone was for figuring out what you were. We all had our suspicions but I wanted to make sure. Anyways, as I’m guessing you know that you aren’t normal, correct?”
I nod my head. What am I? If not human than what am I supposed to be?
“Well, you aren’t normal. In fact, you my dear little light are someone special. Before I tell you, let me ask you, do you know who your little buddies are?”
“They are Protectors,” I nod.
He makes a sound in his throat. “Yes, they are. Annoying things those Protectors. They’ve ruined me for years,” he sneers. “They are trying to protect you, obviously it’s not working, and hide the truth from you. They all know who you are little light.”
I shake my head. The lady from my dream had told me nobody knew who I was and that I shouldn’t trust anybody.
“Oh yes, they know. Quite sad, that realization isn’t it? Where was I? Oh yes,” he turns to look at me.
He’s standing by the mirror now, staring at his face. “Don’t trust those Protectors. They are bad news,” he glares at me. “Now how about who I am?”
I lean back into my seat. “O-okay,” I stutter.
Cursing myself, I tell myself to sit up straighter and be stronger. I watch as Andras walks over to me. I try not to cringe back into the seat as he crouches down in front of me.
One second the face of Mark is there and the next it’s gone.
In its place is charred skin with glowing red eyes. Small sharp spears protrude from the top of his head, dried blood crusted on them. He grins and sharp looking teeth stick out, piercing his bottom lip.
I sit there and stare at him, not blinking for fear of him coming at me. He laughs suddenly and I cover my ears. It’s like fingernails being dragged across a blackboard.
I nearly groan with relief when he stops. I peak an eye open to see Mark’s face looking back at me.
“So, little light, what do you think I am?” he asks teasingly.
“I’m not sure,” I bravely say.
He growls, a deep sound so fierce, I jump from my chair and move across the room.
He laughs and I’m glad it isn’t the screeching I had heard. He moves over to me, slithering in an evil way.
“Why little light! I thought it was obvious!” he shouts with glee.
“No, its not! Would you just tell me already!” I yell, frustrated.
“Why, I am Kali. I am a Daemon, you know what that is?”
I don’t say anything. Too shocked, I stare at him with wide eyes.
“Demon, the Devils warriors, his workers. Understand? We are the sins! We enjoy the haunt, the killing and the blood. We thrive on it!” he shouts.
Having had enough, I turn and make a run for the door. As I push through it, I hear the demonic laughing from Andras and absently think that it’s appropriate for what he is.
Turning a corner, I don’t get far before Sergei grabs onto my hair. I scream as he pulls on it, brining tears to my eyes. I’m pulled to the ground and groan when my back hits the cold hard ground.
I curl into myself as I’m kicked in the ribs with a large foot, feeling and hearing the bones crack.
This time, I’m hoping for death or at least the blackness that always takes me. As I watch in what looks like slow motion, he brings his fist down towards my head.
Finally, I’m in total blackness and I’ve never be happier.

I wake to the sound of my grumbling stomach. I’m not quite sure how love I’ve been here in this cell. It feels like forever since I have actually had anything to eat.
I do know though that I’m close to giving up hope.
I don’t want to and I should be counting on Ryan to come and get me. But it’s been awhile, I know, since I’ve been here. Why hasn’t he come? Is he trying to save me?
I curl into myself, trying to stop the pain of having an empty stomach. I miss pizza and ice cream. What I wouldn’t give for some of that.
Running my hand through me hair, I feel disgusted. I haven’t had a shower in awhile and I can only imagine how bad I look. Rolling over onto my back, I look at the same cracked ceiling I’ve been staring at.
Not any more interesting than last night.
The door opens and I jump up, leaning against the wall as a dizzy spell hits me. Sergei, the man that enjoys hurting people, stands in front of me, a grin of anticipation on his face.
I shrink back into the wall, letting out a whimper as he comes closer. I always said that I wouldn’t be the normal whiney girl who got kidnapped. That I would be strong against my abductors.
I was actually taken and Sergei got to have his fun.
Since the night of the dinner, I use that term loosely, Sergei has been in and out of this cell. He’s done nothing but kick, punch and slams me into walls. My ribs haven’t heeled because he keeps breaking them.
Laughing, Sergei walks over to me with confidence and smacks the wall by my head. I jump, hitting my elbow on the wall.
“It’s time for some fun,” he grins.
I shut my eyes close as I feel the wind rush by me. The slap hits me, tossing me to the ground. I spit out the blood and look over at him.
He comes after me again, kicking my face with his big boot. I groan as I hear the crunch of my nose breaking. I can feel my eye swell up as he grabs my hair and pulls me up.
He slams my face into the wall and I scream. He tosses me onto the bed and for a moment, the look of pure lust crosses his eyes and I hope for death.
He takes a knife out of his boot and comes over to me. Grinning wickedly he says. “You are too beautiful for your own good. I think I should change that.”
I turn my head away but he grabs my chin painfully and brings the knife to my face. I close my eyes but scream as I feel the knife pierce my skin.
It burns as he drags it down and I keep screaming, hoping and wishing that he would stop.
He does.
I blink through the pain to see why he suddenly stopped and see him lying on the ground. An arrow sticking out of his forehead.
I look up at hearing more noise. The building shakes and bricks start tumbling down. Hands start touching me and I flail around.
“Shh! Vana! Stop moving now!” a quiet voice whispers harshly.
I stop as the familiar voice hits my ears. I open my eyes to see Jill’s face looking down at me with concern. I stare up at her, shocked. I do nothing but stare and I can see she is starting to get annoyed.
“Vana! Come on,” she urges.
I try to get up, wincing against the pain. I fall back down and Jill groans before looking around. A look crosses her face before she nods. “Vana, Ryan is on his way ok! Hang in there,”
I barely hear her, as a dizzy spell hits me and I fall back onto the floor. I hear more crashing sounds before feeling myself being lifted in strong arms. The last thing I hear is Ryan’s deep voice telling me I’m safe.

X

For a second, I’m suspended back into time. Back to before Mark, before Ryan and everything that happened. I was blissfully ignorant about Daemons and Protectors.
As I open my eyes, they almost fall back with the realization that I’m living a different life now. One filled with otherworldly beings. Secrets that were kept away from humans. From me.
I look over to the side and let a small smile stretch across my face. My lips are dry so they crack but I’d go through everything again if I got to see his face.
Ryan sleeps in a small chair, his large body not looking comfortable in it. His usually stern and mature face is so much more innocent in sleep. Less stone like and more relaxed. It’s beautiful. He’s beautiful.
Not wanting to wake him, I quietly push back the blanket and realize I’m in his bed again. I quite like it here. Shaking my head, I go to the bathroom. Flipping on the light, I turn and almost scream.
I’m in a pair of plaid pajama pants and a large t-shirt with Led Zeppelin on it. I look down to see large finger bruises around my wrists and arms. I lift my shirt to see a large wrapping around my stomach area. I touch it to find it tender. Scratches and cuts line my stomach where the wrap is covering. My hip bones jut out at an angle, it’s scary.
Looking up into the mirror, I bite my tongue. My eye is black and blue; I’m barely able to open it. My nose has a bump on the bridge, it’s also swollen. My lip has a cut on it but that’s not what makes me want to scream.
I peel back the gauze on my face. A jagged, ugly looking scar stretches from my eyebrow and curves down to my chin. My hand moves up to it, gently touching the raised flesh.
I look away, disgusted with it. I turn on the shower and hop in, hoping to scrub the memories away. Once finished, I get dressed and quietly open the door.
I gasp and almost fall backwards but catch myself. Ryan is standing by the door, waiting for me it seems.
“Sorry, didn’t mean to scare you,” he apologizes.
I shake my head. “No, it’s fine. Just a little jumpy,” I shrug.
He winces and runs his hand through his hair. “Yeah, I’m sure you are.”
It gets quiet; tenseness is between us, making me feel as if I will choke. “Everyone wants to see you… in the living room,” he says.
I nod and push past him. I don’t look back but I can feel his eyes on me. It’s then I remember the scar and hope that it isn’t the reason why he didn’t look at me in the eye. I’d be crushed if he didn’t want me anymore; friend or more.
I stand up taller and rein in my emotions. I’m strong, I know it but I just need to show it. If someone has a problem with how I look, then fine.
Walking into the living room, I go to sit on the couch. I finally look up at everybody. They all gasp and I realize they probably haven’t seen my scar. Well, now they did.
Melanie and Richard hold in more of their surprise, as does Allan. But Jill and Cameron don’t.
Jill jumps up. “Oh my gosh! That looks wicked!” she grins.
I raise an eyebrow, holding in the urge to smirk. At least she thinks it’s cool. Cameron elbows her, telling her to be quiet. Ryan glares at them before turning a softer yet colder face to me.
Allan clears his throat. “Nirvana, do you know how long you were gone?”
I lean back into the couch, crossing my arms over my chest. “No, I have no idea.”
Melanie clears her throat. “You were there for close to three weeks,” her voice wobbles.
I just nod my head. Allan narrows his eyes before asking. “We need to know what happened. It’s important Nirvana.”
I snort. “Yeah, real important. First off, where were all you? Not that I’m blaming any of you, but what took so long? I was about to give up hope.”
I see Ryan stiffen before walking over to the window, hands on his hips. Richard jumps in. “It took awhile to find where you were. We were looking day and night; anywhere we could think he’d be.”
Nodding, I look down before looking back up. “Not much happened. I don’t know where I was, M-Andras barely came to see me. It was mostly Sergei that towed me around. Though, I didn’t get out much,” I laugh bitterly at my joke.
No one else laughs but they all exchange looks. “Andras?” Cameron asks.
“Yes, that’s his name,” seeing their confused expressions, I clarify. “The guy that took Mark’s body, he name is Andras.”
Jill looks at me. “Took his body? As in…” she trails off.
I nod. “Yes, as in he possessed it. He’s a Daemon.”
Allan jumps to his feet. “You were in a house of Daemons?”
I shake my head. “No, it was just him. Although, Sergei acts like one,” I say. “So what did I miss?”
Cameron looks at me like I’m mental. I probably am after everything that’s happened. “Three more bodies turned up.”
“Well, it wasn’t Andras. He was there the whole time.”
“How do you know?” Jill asks.
I look her straight in the eye. “I just do,” I state.
I see Allan tense up. “Well, whoever it is, we need to find them.”
He leaves and I watch, narrowing my eyes. Everyone else breaks up and goes into different directions, off to find some information.
I go to stand up but stop when seeing Ryan. He’s standing in the same spot, muscles tense like an arrow ready to be released. He turns around and I almost gasp.
His eyes are cold stones of guilt and remorse. What could he be guilty about? He stiffly walks over to me and sits on the coffee table, reaching out for my hand but stopping before he can touch me.
He takes a deep breath before looking up at me. My heart breaks seeing his pain and anguish. “Vana… I am so sorry. I should have done something!” he runs his hand through his hair. “I barely slept; fear running through my mind and just thinking about what could have been happening to you. I tried so dang hard Vana but I failed. I am so sorry!”
I stare at him for a second and any anger or ill feels fall away. I can see he tried, he did, and he feels horrible about me being there. I grab his hand and give it a squeeze before bringing it to my mouth. I place a kiss on the middle of his palm.
“It wasn’t your fault Ryan. None of it was so don’t blame yourself,” I sternly tell him.
He reaches towards my face and I flinch. Not out of fear but embarrassment. I’m not the same, mentally and psychically. I’m afraid he’ll realize that.
He narrows his eyes before they soften. “You are so beautiful. The scar makes you fiercer than you already are. Like a warrior,” he gruffly whispers.
This time, when he goes to touch my scar, I don’t flinch. I close my eyes as I feel his warm breath by my cheek, the gentleness of his thumb going over my scar. The way I feel as he does, it charges me.
I still don’t believe I’ll be as pretty as I was, but I know in his eyes, I’m the beautiful girl he sees.

X

“How did you know where we were? Jill and I?” I ask.
Ryan and I are sitting on the porch swing, the breeze gently blowing the trees around. It’s been a couple days since I’ve been back. Melanie and Richard left again, some secret mission. Jill and Cameron are off on a test for their skills.
“We mind linked,” he says.
I look over at him. The wind gently moves his long hair and one side of his lips tilts up, ready to laugh. “What’s that?” I ask.
He chuckles. “Protectors can bond in a mental way. After a ceremony of sorts, we can all link to each other’s minds and talk.”
I can’t help but let my mouth drop open. “Really! That’s so cool.”
He nods but doesn’t say anything. We sit quietly for a bit before he suddenly stands up.
“Let’s go somewhere,” he says while holding out his hand.
I wanted to say the last time you took me somewhere I was taken, but I doubt that will make his guilt go away. So with a nod, I grab his hand and let him take me away.
After nearly twenty minutes of walking, we come to a bridge. It’s old with vines twined around the sides. A small stream of water goes down under it. The sun is setting and I don’t worry about walking back in the dark.
“What am I?”
He jumps as my sudden question. I can see he’s thinking about it and I begin to wonder if I shouldn’t trust him, if the lady in my dream was mistaken. Then I see him let out a gust of air.
“I’m not going to lie Vana, especially to you, but I need you to know that I honestly don’t know much. All I know is that you are this… bright person.”
Tilting my head, I look up at him in confusion. “Bright person?” I ask. “Andras had called me little light. Could that mean something?”
He stiffens at the name but calms down when he hears my words. “Little light? I think there is a book in our library that talks about it,” he trails off.
“About it? So you know what it is? What I am?” I ask excitedly.
He sighs. “The only thing I can remember is it something meaning about an angel like person. A bright light,” he shrugs.
“So I’m the person that people see when they are dying? Doesn’t sound like a great job,” I snort.
He taps my nose. “No, that’s not who you are. It said the bright light is like an angel but fiercer,” he slants me a glance. “Like a warrior.”
We don’t say anything else for a while as we watch the sun set. As we are heading back, I ask him the question I’ve had for awhile.
“Why do I feel as if I’ve known you for years? It felt like that since the second I’ve met you.”
He stops and turns to face me. We’re standing in the middle of a meadow, green grass dancing around our feet. “I’ve been both dreading and anticipation that question.”
“Why? Maybe it’s just something we have. A lot of people say they feel as if they have known someone forever, even after just meeting.”
He stares at me. “That’s because they most likely have known each other. In their past life, as soul mates.”
Lifting a brow, I quirk my head. “So what you are saying is that…” I trail off.
“We are soul mates Vana and this isn’t the first time we’ve met.”

I keep hearing those words tumbling around in my head, over and over again. I hadn’t said anything yesterday after he told me, for fear of screaming.
I don’t know how to feel about it. I mean, we met in a different time? Was I the same? Was he? How does he remember and I don’t?
I wouldn’t say I’m running scared. I’m just taking a breather, a lot has happened lately.
I’m sitting on the large brown couch in the study. It faces the window and I watch as rain drops slither down, like a race. I don’t move when I hear footsteps, nor do I turn around. I know its Ryan.
I turn around and stare up at him. He’s so tall, it amazes me sometimes. You would think with me being so short, we wouldn’t go together. But fate is tricky and obviously has put us together, more than once.
“I don’t know how to deal with this,” I move my hand between us.
He sits down next to me and I turn to face him, pulling my feet up under me. He looks down at me, moving his pinky against mine.
“I know it’s hard to understand but its true Vana. We have fallen in love so many times in yet; it feels brand new every time. Like a gift, I know I’m getting it, but it’s different every time I open it,” he whispers.
“So I was different every time? I didn’t look the same?” I ask.
He nods. “You were and so was I but it never stopped us from falling in love all over again.”
I bite my lip. So I was different every time. Is it weird to be jealous of myself? I mean, he remembers it obviously but I don’t. Why not? And love? Do I love Ryan? It’s been weeks since we have known each other but wait, no. We’ve known each other for a long time, in our past lives. So it’s not crazy to fall in love so fast. It can’t be.
“Why can’t I remember them like you do?” I ask.
He becomes tense. “Before you get mad, let me explain it to you,” he runs his hand through his hair. “The last time we were together was in 1812,” I gasp and he nods. “I don’t know why it took that long to find each other, before that it was usually a couple years after we died that we would find each other. It had been two lives before we found each other again. But when we did, we were so happy,” he brings his leg up and turns more to me.
“You see, every time we see each other, we just know that we are soul mates. We see our past lives with each other and we click. This last time, we were together for a short time, which has never happened.”
I’m barely hanging on, needing to hear the rest. “What happened to change that?”
His eyes narrow and turn cold. “Kali that’s what happened. He was a Daemon who, for some reason, decided that we needed to be destroyed. That part of my memories was blocked somehow and I can’t remember why he wanted us dead. It irritates me that I can’t remember. It’s like at the tip of a cliff and I’m waiting for it to drop,” he sighs. “Anyway, Kali came to our castle and he… killed you. I remember that part vividly. I tried so hard to save you but he was strong and threw a wall of some sorts at me to keep for getting to you,”
“I saw him toss you across the room and throw some black bolt at you. Then you were gone. I didn’t know what to do, in all our lives together, neither of us had died until old age. It drove me crazy, being there without you.”
My heart breaks at the despair in his voice and I curse Kali for doing that to him and me. “So this Kali guy, he knew what I was? That’s why he killed me.”
He nods. “That’s the thing. I can’t even fully remember what you were.”
We sit quietly next to each other as I take everything in. I know that I love him, how could I not, I’ve known him for years, but I’m still scared. The lady had told me I’d make a great sacrifice. What if I have to die? I couldn’t do that to Ryan.
But love is the greatest thing I could know. Why put it aside? Maybe I won’t die. Could I love this man? As I look over at him, over his face and toned body, I think yes, I can love him.
Feeling bold, I grab his hand. He looks down at our hand together in shock before smiling down at me. I smile back and laugh. I’m giddy with happiness.
I stand up and walk over to the window, watching the rain again. I feel Ryan come stand behind me, the warmth of his chest stinging through my shirt. He wraps his arms around my stomach and rests hi chin on the top of my head. I sigh with content, more than happy.

X

“I don’t really eat ice cream,” I laugh at Ryan’s look of horror.
“You don’t eat ice cream? I thought every girl eats ice cream!” he jokes.
I place my hands on my hips and glare. “Not all girls do. Though, chocolate is a must,” I smile.
He chuckles and kissing the top of my head. I close my eyes and breathe in his manly scent. I could get used to this. I giggle and go over to the microwave to take out the popcorn.
After standing by the window for a bit, we decided to watch a movie since it’s raining. Everybody is still gone, including Allan. We chose to watch an action movie-The Avengers- because I have yet to see it.
There’s a TV in Ryan’s room so we watch in there. I was a bit nervous because I’d have to share the bed with Ryan but he quickly made me forget. Behind his cold look, he’s a funny, sweet guy.
After a lot of giggling from me and deep chuckles from Ryan, we finish the movie. I didn’t really pay attention, too busy talking with Ryan and getting to know him better.
I’m lying on his bed, my feet on his head board. He leans on it and looks down at me with a gentleness most wouldn’t expect. “What do you want to do now?” I ask.
Something flashes through his eyes but it’s gone before I can figure it out. He smiles and grabs my hand. “How about we go for another walk? There are special places all over here and I want to show you.”
I grin and nod. I hop off his bed and go to get dressed in something warmer. After putting on a jacket and boots, I go to the door and wait for Ryan to come. I don’t have to wait long and smile as he walks towards me.
He grabs my hand and opens the door for me. I look around as we walk and enjoy the beautiful day. The rain had stopped and the sun is now shining. Though still cold, I’m enjoying this time with Ryan.
“So have I always been Nirvana or…” I trail off.
He shakes his head. “Nope, last time you were Astria and I was Sebastian.”
“Astria? What’s up with me having weird names?” I tease.
He laughs. “I’m not sure,” he shrugs.
I stop and stare at where he took me. A huge willow tree stands tall and confident in the middle of the field, gently swaying in the wind. There is a handmade swing attached by ropes hanging from one of the branches.
“It’s beautiful,” I whisper in awe.
“Yes, you are,” he whispers.
I grin and turn to look up at him. “That was cute but cheesy,” I tease.
He grins and leans down to kiss my cheek, close to my mouth. I sharply inhale, not ready for the effect such a chaste kiss has on me. If I feel this strong from that, what will I feel from an actual kiss?
Feeling a little scared of these feelings; I drop his hand and start running. Looking over my shoulder, I yell to him. “I’m going to get there first!” I laugh.
I hear Ryan running after me and I jump up and down when I reached the swing first. I sit down on it and gently push off, making my swing backwards. Ryan walks over and behind me to push the swing.
“Vana, I want to be honest with you but…” he trails off.
I stop the swing and stand up, turning to face him. “Be honest about what?”I ask.
“I don’t want to scare you.”
I grab his hand and tug on it. He looks down at me, uncertainty on his face. “Ryan whatever you have to say won’t scare me. I swear, just please be honest,” I beg.
He stares at me, for something, before nodding. He leans down and grabs my chin between his fingers. “I really want to kiss you right now,” he growls.
I take a deep breath. “I really want you to kiss me,” I whisper.
We stare at each other before he leans down. I go onto my toes and reach my arms around his neck, pulling him down. His hands go to my waist, his hands fisted in my shirt.
Closing my eyes, I feel our lips touch. If that chaste kiss was good, this is better. Familiar lips and not at all awkward, I press into him, my body aligning with his. I bring my hand up to his head and fist his hair.
His tongue touches mine and I’m lost. Like an explosion of taste and color, I groan. I pull back a little and nip his lip, smiling at his growl. I kiss him again, this time softer.
After a while we pull back, breathing heavily. I smile up at him, my arms now wrapped around his waist. He gruffly laughs, kissing my lips once before pulling back.
“We should probably head back now,” he says.
I nod my head and lean against him as he puts his arm over my shoulder. Looking over at him, I decide then that whatever comes at me, I will try my hardest to make sure Ryan isn’t harmed.

X

The moment we step inside, I know something happened and it wasn’t good. The air is thick and filled with worry. I feel Ryan tense before he storms into the living room.
I follow after and gasp as I turn the corner. Everyone must have arrived while we were out. Jill and Cameron are over by the couch, worriedly looking down at someone. Richard is pacing behind the couch and Ryan is sitting on his knees in front of the couch.
I slowly make my way over, hoping it’s not bad but knowing it is. I hand goes up to my mouth as I look down.
Melanie lies on the couch, shallowly breathing. She’s pale and shaky, like she hasn’t eaten in weeks. But that’s not the problem. It’s the large red gash across her abdomen.
A towel lies on her side, covered in red, as is most of the couch. Looking down at her, I absently realize that Allan isn’t around but push that from my mind. This is more important.
Richard suddenly punches the wall and I jump back. “I’ll kill him! I can’t believe he’d do this!” he mutters.
I look around everyone, realizing they all know what he’s talking about. I’m thinking about asking when Cameron speaks up.
“Nobody would think he’d hurt her. We’ve all known each other for years, trusted him for years,” he sneers.
Him? Him who? Allan? Did Allan hurt Melanie? Jill must see my face and her face softens something that’s uncharacteristic of her. She walks over to me and brings me into the hallway. “Melanie was walking when she heard Allan whispering madly. She leaned in and tried to listen but he caught her. Before she could move, she said he moved like smoke, so fast she couldn’t blink before he stabbed her. Then he just… vanished,” she whispers.
She leaves and my thoughts are everywhere. I can’t seem to think clearly. I debated on whether or not I should go in there but feel as if I’d be intruding. Turning, I walk to my room and fall face first into the big, fluffy bed.
Turning onto my back, I look to my side. I look through the top drawer of the small side table and find my phone. I had completely forgotten about it! I flip it open to see message after message and voicemails. Shoot! China and Marley!
All of the messages are the same: where are yous and answer the phones. I dial Marley’s phone and add China for a three way call.
“Vana! You have some serious explaining to do!” China barks out.
I cringe and move my phone away from my ear. “I know and I’m sorry bu.”
Marley cuts me off. “But what? You’ve been gone for weeks! We’ve been worried!” she yells out.
“We even went to your aunt and uncles but they left! The house is completely empty now!” China exclaims.
“Guys! I’m sorry ok? Just…” I try to think of something to tell them. “Aunt Leslie and uncle Marcus had to leave so I’m staying with some old friends of my parents,” I ground out.
They grumble but move forward. They tell me how they have been and for a moment, I’m back in time. To when we laughed over silly things. It feels good to do that and I’ll keep doing that.
I won’t tell them the truth. I could never forgive myself if they got hurt. After saying goodbye and hanging up, I flip over and close my eyes.
Though, one thing Jill said earlier, rings through my head. Why did she call her mom Melanie?
This family is filled with secrets but I smile anyways because I know I have Ryan. For as long as I can.

You know those moments when something scares you so bad that you’re speechless before you let out a blood curdling scream? Well, I didn’t. Not until I woke up did I realize how much is sucks. Being scared, anyways.
Opening my eyes, I’m immediately overcome with a loss. I remember Melanie and how much blood there was. I don’t know what happened after I got off the phone. I mean, I didn’t plan on falling asleep but it happened.
I turn onto my back, eyes closed. The house is quiet and it’s raining again. It’s so relaxing.
Drip
I sit up and bring my hand to my cheek. Something wet fell on me. I look down at my fingers and lose all ability to think. Blood is on my fingers, which means…
I stare for a moment before screaming. I usually save those screams for when I see an overly large spider, but this is worse.
Written on the ceiling with blood is a word I’ve never seen. Polemos is written with weird shapes around it that give me shivers. I scramble out of the bed before more blood can drip on me and walk over to the door.
Before I can open it, it slams into the wall, making my jump back. Ryan stands there, a cold and calculating look in his eyes. That’s not what makes my words get stuck in my throat.
It’s the fact that he’s shirtless.
His hair is unruly and obviously he just woke up. His red plaid pajama bottoms hang loose on his hips, enough to show the manly V he has. I never understood why girls went crazy over that but now, I fully understand.
“What’s wrong? Are you alright?” his deep and frantic voice pulls me out of my head.
I walk over to him and wrap my arms around his waist. Laying my head on his chest, I tell myself not to make a fool of myself. “The ceiling,” I mumble.
He kisses my head before gently pushing me away; I turn around but stay by the door and watch him. He walks over to my bed and looks up. He stiffens and his face pales.
I’m about to ask what’s wrong when he storms over to me and grabs my wrist. He drags me to the living room and he must have used his mind link because when we got there, everyone was there. Even Melanie.
She looks better than yesterday, which surprises me. She looks as if she never got stabbed. She must see my face because she gently laughs.
“Protectors heal faster than humans,” she shrugs.
Richard stands up. “What’s going on? Why did you link so early Ryan?” he asks worriedly.
His mouth is drawn tightly together, his eyes concrete. He puts his hands on his hips and I can’t stop the thought of how hot he looks right now. Shaking my head, I tell myself now isn’t the time for those thoughts.
“Polemos was written on her ceiling in blood,” he grounds out. “Daemonic signs were next to it.”
Everybody gasps and I look around worriedly. “What does that mean?” I ask.
Everyone turns to look over at me, as if they forgot I’m here.
They all exit the room and leave Ryan and I alone. He takes my hand and brings me to the couch. I go to sit next to him but he pulls me onto his lap instead.
“Vana, the signs around the word are a certain type of Daemonic language. It’s meant specifically to kill,” he sighs. “The word, Polemos, means war in Greek.”
I nod my head. I know something bad was going to happen, the lady had told me, I just didn’t think it’d be a war.
I lean into Ryan, taking comfort in his warm embrace. I reach up and kiss his chin, smiling at his groan. His hands go to my hips and bunch my pajama shorts.
“Vana you’re killing me,” he says gruffly.
I smirk and kiss his lips once. “I know,” I whisper.
He growls and pulls me forward, smashing his lips to mine. This kiss is hot and hungry. I love it.
My hand goes to his chest, moving along his abs. I groan as he moves my legs, making me straddle his lap.
He pushes back, breathing heavily. “We better stop now Star, I don’t think I could stop.”
I smile and lay my head under his chin. He kisses my head and gently rubs my back. Having wakened so early, I quickly fall asleep to the sound of Ryan’s heart beating.
“I won’t let anyone hurt you Vana. I love you too much to lose you.”

X

“Welcome back dear,” a whimsical voice rings out.
I turn around and see that lady from before, in my other dream. “What am I doing here?” I ask.
I walk over to her. She’s sitting on a stone bench that has roses all over it. They move as I come closer. A little weary, I slowly make my way over. She laughs.
“You can sit down, they won’t hurt you.”
I nod and sit, still not sure about those roses. “Again, why am I here?” I ask none too nicely.
The rolling green hills are back, large trees that sway to silent music. Little flashes of light move around them, like pixies.
“Nirvana, the battle is almost here. Yes, battle. The war is far from over,” she sighs. “I don’t have much time to explain Nirvana but you will be tested before and after the battle.”
“Why? Why is this happening? Why do people have to get hurt because of me?” I cry out.
She makes a soothing noise. “Dear child, don’t fret. You will lose many people but gain so much more. Don’t let death keep you from finishing your job.”
“What is my job?” I ask.
“You must defeat Kali. It won’t be easy, far from it, but I have faith in you. Trust yourself and what’s to happen. Don’t be afraid when you gain strength. Just remember, don’t let death overcome you. And fight, fight hard and strong.”
Before I can ask anything else, she disappears and the world swirls before turning black.

X

Shouldn’t I be doing something? I obviously can’t fight like them but come on. I could hold a weapon. Not that I could actually kill a daemon with one. I’d probably end up hitting myself instead.
I had woken up to everyone bustling around, on their phones talking to people, I assume other Protectors. I just sat there and listened, chewing down on some cereal Ryan had given me.
After a while, the door had rung. Piles of people came in and I guess they are here for the battle. I almost want to tell them to go, not to get hurt because of me. Even after telling Ryan how I feel, I know I can’t stop them.
I didn’t tell Ryan about the dream. I’d rather do that in private. I just have this sense of doom, like something bad is sure to happen. With the way the lady said, I’d be making quite the sacrifice. I just wish I knew what that’d be.
Now, I watch from the window as everyone fights each other to the ‘death’ as they so put it. I’d rather not see Ryan die, fake or not. I just wish I could help somehow but with the way they baby me? I’m sure it won’t happen.
I know I should feel scared of this battle; I am. It’s just I’m not afraid for me, I’m afraid for Ryan and everyone else I know here. It’s not fair.
I’m supposed to be this amazing person, this light angel type woman. In yet, here I sit on the couch, eating a bowl of cereal.
After a couple of minutes I feel a presence behind me. I turn around and see Jill. I expect her normal closed off face but instead it’s one of weariness.
“We aren’t family,” she states.
Lifting a curious eyebrow, I turn around to face her. “Excuse me?”
She sighs and drops to the couch. “Us, Cameron, Ryan, Richard and Melanie. We aren’t real family; we were just paired up to kick butt together.”
Shocked, I sit there and stare down into now soggy cereal. Gross. “So wait, you aren’t family. So they just put you all together?” I ask.
She nods. “Just what I said,” she grumbles. “I just wanted you to know that.”
“Where’s your family then?” I ask.
Her face that was open now closes like stone. “Dead. All of our families are dead.”
I say nothing else and neither does she. For a while, we sit in comfortable silence until Ryan struts in. This guy doesn’t even try, he just is.
Jill excuses herself and I go over to Ryan. I snuggle into his side and we just hold each other, thoughts of the Battle clouding our heads.
“Why didn’t you tell me these guys aren’t your family?” I ask.
Ryan tenses before blowing out a breath. “We are family. Just not blood related,” he shrugs.
I nod, not wanting to stir up more emotions. “I had a dream Ryan. A second one.”
I go onto telling him about my first dream, nodding and answering questions when he asks. Then I tell him of my second dream, of the Battle. Though I don’t tell him about the big sacrifice I have to make. It would make the situation worse.
Once finished, I watch as he runs a hand through his hair. “So the Battle is closer than we thought,” he states.
It isn’t a question but I nod anyways.

X

Later that evening, we all sit outside. Having decided to enjoy something rather than let dreary thoughts ruin the beautiful night, we have a BBQ. It’s filled with laughs and stories of old battles.
I sit back and watch it all. It seems so long ago when I first met Ryan, Jill and Cameron. Seeing them standing in the front of the class.
Though the yard is filled with laughter and smiling faces, I can feel the tension underneath. We all know that the Battle is closing in; we can all feel it.
Ryan had told everyone what I said, making shock and gasps ring through the living room earlier. They all decided to keep practicing but tonight, tonight they relaxed. As much as they could anyways.
Leaning against Ryan, I smile at the scene.
Later, after everybody has gone to their rooms, I tread quietly to Ryan’s. Knocking, I wait for him to open the door. A loud crash sound comes from inside and I jump, startled.
Not thinking, I barge in and stop. I watch as Ryan fights off two masked people. Ryan’s temple is bleeding, his nose gushing and he has a limp. I take a step forward and one of the masked men turns to me.
“Nirvana run!” Ryan yells.
I start to turn around but something stops me. A feeling, an energy building up. Before I can even think about what’s happening, my hand lifts up and a bright white lights shoots from my palm.
The guy I shot whatever just came out through my palm lays on the ground, not breathing. I turn to the other guy but see him jumping out the window, a passed out Ryan on his shoulder.
“No!” I scream.
I run over to the window and try to grab Ryan but the man jumps before I can reach him. I think about using the light thing but I don’t for two reasons. One: I might hit Ryan. Two: I don’t know how to make it shoot out again.
Leaning against the window, holding in the urge to cry, I only have one thought.
When did my life turn into a Sci-Fi movie?

I feel as if a billion eyes are on me as I stand in front of the Parkers.
I had just finished telling them about what happened. Even about the light I shot out of my palms. They haven’t said anything yet, still filled with shock.
I stare down at my palms. Nothing different about them; they look the same as always. So I wonder how did it happen?
I’m not scared, no I’m not. Because the lady told me not to be afraid and weirdly enough I don’t feel scared with this mysterious power. Although, it feels weird to know I could harm someone.
I shiver as I remember the moment I was told I had killed that guy. It scares me to think it but I would do it again if there was a chance I could have saved Ryan.
“So you’re saying that you felt something and all of a sudden, you shot a bright light out of your palm?” Jill asks sarcastically.
I nod anyways. “Yes! Yes, I shot a light out of my palm.”
Cameron jumps up and we all turn to stare at him. “I remember now! I read something about this in an old book in the library,” he walks over to me. “It said something about a warrior of the gods. She’s like an angel but more cooler. She fights using bright lights that fire from her palm. They are so dangerous; it could destroy a building with one blast.”
I stare up at him, dumbfounded. “An angel warrior huh,” I lift a questioning brow.
He nods. I turn to look at everyone else, ready to see looks of disbelief but instead see curious looks. They believe him. Maybe I should believe him. I mean, the lady said I’d have to trust in myself and my gut is saying its right.
“So now that I know I’m a warrior angel, now what do we do?” I ask.
I’m met with blank stares before Jill talks. “Train,” she states.
So I train.

X

It’s a lot harder than I thought. Honestly, I’m a bit out of shape and the moment Jill volunteered to train me; I knew I’d get ground into the dirt.
Landing on the ground with a thud, I groan. I’m sure my back is covered in bruises right now. Especially since I just landed on a rock.
Rolling over, I glare up at Jill who wears a smirk on her face. “You need to train Vana. Those guys are going to give you worse than what I do.”
That makes my glare worse. I push myself off the ground and prepare myself for more damage. They wanted me to learn self defense before trying to use ‘magik’ as they call it.
Cameron had filled us in more about my magik and how I use it. I can’t know for sure, but I think I’ve always had it all these past lives. I just need to figure out how to use it.
“You are enjoying this too much,” I huff out.
She throws her head back with a laugh. “Just wait, I’m sure you’ll be enjoying the moment you figure out your magic.”
I nod with a snort. “Yeah, I’m sure I will.”
Before I can think, Jill sends a kick towards my head. I duck with a yelp and try to move but she punches my stomach.
For the rest of the day, it consists of us arguing and me being thrown into the ground.
Finally when Melanie calls us in, I almost drop from exhaustion. I stumble my way into the house and head towards my room. After taking a shower, I fall face first onto the bed.
“Nope! Get up, you have reading to do,” Cameron shouts from the doorway.
Groaning, I punch the bed before pushing myself up. I toss a glare at him, wanting to punch his face as he laughs. “This isn’t funny Cam,” I grumble.
I follow him through the hallway until we reach the study. I shiver as I remember that just days ago, Allan was here and had stabbed Melanie.
We still have no idea where he went after he ran off. We all have our suspicions though. Mine is that he works for Andras.
Falling onto the couch, I wait for Cam to give me whatever it is I need to read. My thoughts drift away as I remember how Ryan and I were cuddling on the couch, watching a movie in his room.
Our first kiss.
Biting my lip, I tell myself not to cry. Ryan needs me and right now, I need to learn to fight and use my magik. With a sense of confidence, I sit up straighter and take the pile of books that Cam hands me.
Bucking down, I tell myself to concentrate and learn as much as I can. For Ryan.

X

I resurface from the study hours later. I’ve read so much on magik that I hope to be a pro. Of course I know that’s not possible, but it’s worth thinking.
The smell of pizza and chattering voices leads me to the kitchen. I walk over and take a slice before sitting at the island. It’s a somber mood with thoughts of Ryan not here.
I want to put down the pizza and keep looking for him, study and even train but I know I need to eat.
Putting my plate in the sink, I go to turn around but stop. Gasping, I duck down just before the window breaks and glass goes everywhere. I hear everyone else getting up and taking out their swords, bows and the like.
Hands over my head, I look down and see a note. Cautiously picking it up, I stand up, just knowing that the threat is gone.
Opening the tab on the back of the letter, I unfold it. Only to see a picture of a beaten up Ryan, looking minutes to death.
I let the picture fall to the floor and read what the note says:
Dear Light,
As you can see, I’m taking great care of your Protector but that’s not what this letter is for.
I have decided to grace you with the knowledge that the battle will take place next Thursday at Lifters Castle. Your Protectors will know where it is.
I do wish you good luck, as I want to see you before you die.
-Kali
Stunned I stand there. It’s seems like this Kali guy is a joker. A joker that wants me dead.
I leave the room without talking to them, leaving the note on the counter.
Tomorrow. Tomorrow I will train and I will use my magik.

X

Holding my palm out, I ground my teeth and concentrate. I’ve been outside for hours now and still can’t seem to use magik. It’s like it’s there, but something is holding me back. I don’t understand.
Well, maybe I do. When I first used it, I had a moment of anger and being scared out of my wits with the thought of somebody harming Ryan. Maybe…
Picturing the kidnapping, I feel the familiar anger well up inside of me. Out of the corner of my eye I see everyone standing around, probably thinking I won’t be able to do it.
Well, that just adds to the anger.
Before I know, I’m thrown backwards with the amount of light I shoot out of my palm. Lying on the ground, I wearily sit up and rub my pounding head. I gasp as I look at the mess I made.
Richard had made a stone wall. Meaning he piles a bunch of rocks on the ground. Looking at the wreckage, I laugh.
The stones are all broken to pieces but the light didn’t stop there. No, it went through the rocks and through a giant tree. While I hate hurting a tree, I’m glad I finally worked some magik.
“Good job Vana!” Melanie shouts.
Everyone claps and I jump up. Clenching my hand, I promise myself that I will do everything I can to get Ryan out of there.

X

Collapsing on the bed with a sigh, I tell myself not to sob.
I’ve been keeping myself busy so I wouldn’t start crying. I hate crying, it seems useless to me but on a night like this… I need to.
I’ve been practicing magik all week and tomorrow we go to battle. I feel pretty confident but I can’t help the thoughts that break into my mind.
The lady said that I can’t let death overcome me. So the question is…
Who will die?
Shaking my head from those thoughts, I instead imagine that Ryan is with me. We’d be cuddling, probably kissing I’ll admit. Watching a movie on his bed, sharing a big bowl of popcorn.
It’s my dream.
I’m taken out of my thoughts when a knock on the door startles me. I sit up, wiping the tears that spilled down my face. “Come in,” I squeak.
Jill and Cameron pile in and sit on my bed. Well, Cameron sits on my bed and Jill stands, ever the warrior.
“Just checking up on you. It’s been a hectic week,” Cam says.
Jill nods. “Cam made me come.”
I laugh. The first real laugh since Ryan was taken. Soon we all erupt in laughter and for a moment, time is suspended.
For a moment, life is great.

Standing across from hundreds of daemons was never what I wanted for my life. Neither was wanted to have magik and having to fight for not only my life, but everyone else’s also.
I swallow and turn to look at my left. Jill and Melanie are geared up, spears, knifes and swords. To my right Cameron and Richard are also geared up.
I know behind me is hundreds of people, willing to fight for my life. I hope it doesn’t come to that.
I don’t see Ryan but I do see a shadow standing at the very top window of the castle. I just know that’s where I need to be. Ryan is there and surely so is Kali.
The castle itself is very old, barely standing against crumbling stones of what used to be a tall and confident fortress. Old trees stand around it, as if they could protect what is left.
It’s a dreary sight and perfect for a battle scene. Perfect for a movie but this isn’t fake. It’s real and people will die.
Time stands still as the daemons run towards us. They don’t look evil, they look normal but I know now that it’s all pretend. Those are evil beings and I will take them down.
The familiar anger wells up again and I toss out both of my palms, firing the bright bolt of light towards any daemon that I see. Many go down as I make my way across the field towards the entrance of the castle.
Coming to a stop in front of a daemon, this one shows its true form. Cracked face with glowing green eyes. It stares at me with hatred as the battle around us continues.
“You will be taken down Light,” he sneers in a crackling voice.
“Not today I won’t,” I argue.
With a burst of anger, I lift my palm and shoot the daemon to pieces. Grinning, I absently think how creepy it is that I feel great after doing that but push that away to think about later.
After killing so many that I lose count, I’m mere feet away from the door and I push my feet harder, pounding them into the ground. I duck and roll when a hand reaches out to grab me. Turning around quickly, I throw light at him.
Finally reaching it, I reach to open the door, breathing heavily and coated with sweat. The sun beats down, scorching my skin.
“Vana! Look out!”
I turn around at the voice and watch as an arrow heads right towards me, aiming true to my heart. Fear gets in the way and I close up, the anger leaving me deflated.
Closing my eyes I wait for the pain to hit. For whatever will become of me.
Nothing happens.
I hear a thud and look down. Swallow the scream building up, I look up at the Daemon and fire a bolt to his head, watching as it explodes.
Looking back down, I want to cry. Melanie lays dead on the dirty ground and I want to move her, she doesn’t belong in the dirt. She belongs in the living.
“Move! Go! Nirvana go now!” Richards voice enters my mind.
I nod and run quickly up the winding stairs, dashing through the black, ripped curtain.
Allan stands next to Ryan, grinning with pure evil.
“Ah, finally we meet dear Light. About time hm,” he hums.
“Allan?” I ask dumbfounded.
He laughs and Ryan jerks in his chair. I look over him, wincing at his wounds and bloodied face.
“This is Allan’s body yes, but Allan is no long here Little Light. I overtook his body. I am Kali, the great daemon warrior,” he announces with pride.
I shake my head in disgust. “I don’t care who you are, you are dead,” I threaten.
He snorts. “Really now. Let me ask you a question Little Light,” he calmly walks to the window. “Where are your parents?”
I squint, not sure where he is going with this. “They are dead.”
He shakes his head. “You really have been a fool,” he mutters. “Leslie and Marcus weren’t even your aunt and uncle. They weren’t even family.”
I shoot a look over to Ryan and see him starting to wake up. “What do you mean? They are the only family I have.”
He turns to look at me. “No, Little Light. They aren’t family. In fact, I know of your parents.”
Shaking my head I spit at him. “What do you want?”
He glares at me. “First? To tell you the truth. Then? To kill you,” he paces. “Where was I? Ah, yes. Well, to be honestly blunt, Little Light,” he trails off with a grin.
“I am your father.”
Standing there in shock, I shake my head. “No,” I mumble. “No! You aren’t my father!” I scream.
He grins. “Yes, I am. Such a lovely moment isn’t it? It gets better.”
Ryan is fully awake now and trying to get out of his binds. Kali isn’t paying attention. Keep it on yourself.
“How does it get better?” I ask bitterly.
“You must have had dreams lately. Of someone telling you things, important things yes?” he asks.
After hesitating I nod. He goes on. “That was Angelica. Your mother,” he sneers.
Heart stopping, I wait for him to finish. He doesn’t and just watches me battle myself.
He nods like he knows what I’m thinking. “You think that all you are is an innocent and nice warrior. You’re wrong of course. You have not only angelic blood, but also daemon blood.”
Before either of us can say anything else, I glowing light blinds us both. I look away, covering my eyes. It quickly diminishes and I turn around to see the lady-Angelica- standing with a sorrowful look in her eyes.
“It is true Nirvana, I am your mother,” she says.
I look between the both of them. “How?” Is all I can make out.
“We were both on earth for a mission. We had the same target; he had been killing both angelic beings and daemonic beings. It was out job to get rid of him,” Angelina says.
Kali steps in. “We met at a bar, of all the human places to meet, and one thing led to another. We may not be human but we still have needs.”
Angelina winces. “I couldn’t keep you, when I found out. My boss said to either kill you or place you on earth. You wouldn’t have been safe where I or he lives,” he sneers at Kali. “So I put you there. I had no idea you’d get stuck with that woman. I wanted someone you could grow up loved. I always loved you though and I always will.”
With that she disappears. Love? She comes in and leaves me with him? My father just like that?
“Let’s get back to business. I have to kill you and this pathetic Protector,” Kali threatens.
I turn back to him and see Ryan standing behind him, sword in hand. I try not to show that I see him but I must have because Kali turned around and tossed Ryan to the wall. He lands with a dull thud.
Anger wells up and I shoot magik from my palm. Kali doesn’t expect it and goes flying back towards the room. I keep firing, palm after palm until it can’t get up.
“Hit me one more time and he dies,” he growls.
I turn around quickly to see Ryan dangling from his toes by an invisible force. He grabs at his neck like he can’t breathe.
I turn back to Kali and glare. “Let him go!” I yell at him.
He stares at me before smiling. “Ah, your soulmate. I should have known. This will make it better than.”
Before I can shoot at him, I hear a cracking sound and turn around just to see Ryan’s body drop to the floor, unmoving.
I scream and drop to my knees. The pain is intense and for a moment I black out before coming to. Kali is still on the ground, breathing heavily and blood gushing from his head.
Holding my stomach, I shakily stand up and glare down at Kali with so much hatred that his body should burn from it.
“You were and won’t ever be my father. All you are is a soon to be dead daemon and I will gladly kill you,” I spit out.
Lifting both of my palms, I put all my anger and hatred into it and shoot. Kali’s eyes fill with horror and fright before his body is blown up, leaving a pile of steaming ashes behind.
Dropping to the ground, I let the grief overtake me and crawl over to Ryan’s body. I cry and scream the whole way.
Grabbing onto him, I pull his head into my lap and hold him to me, rocking him. It could have been hours before someone came for me, taking Ryan’s body after forcefully taking it from my grasp.
I turn into who ever holds me and cry into their shoulder, not once letting go.

X

“I can fix it you know,” Angeline says.
I turn to stare up at her, feeling emotionless. “Fix what?” I ask.
She gazes down at me with sad eyes. “The pain. I could bring back Ryan but it will mean the greatest sacrifice.”
Her words from before come back. I will have the greatest sacrifice. It’s bringing Ryan back.
“I’ll do it, whatever I have to do, I’ll do it,” I say firmly.
She nods like she was expecting it. “Before I agree, you should what will happen,” she sighs. “You will have to unlock your daemon side, Nirvana. It’s very dangerous and you must think hard about this.”
I turn to look straight ahead. We are sitting on a stone bench in front of the bluest ocean I have ever seen. “What will happen to me if I agree?”
“You could lose control and hurt those you love. Intense anger could trigger your daemon powers. You’d have to learn to control them, which isn’t an easy feat,” she says.
“But I learned how to hone my angelic magik,” I point out.
She nods. “It’s easier to control as it is more innocent. Daemon power is much more intense and deep that any strong emotion could trigger your magik. That’s why you must think about this Nirvana.”
“Will I look one of them?” I ask nervously.
She nods. “Your eyes will turn red and in moments of emotion, your teeth will become fangs. You won’t be the same.”
“Will you still visit me?” I ask apprehensively.
She smiles gently and runs a hand down my hair. “Yes, my dead. I will always visit you in a time of need. Need not worry about that.”
I nod. “Then yes. I want Ryan to live,” I firmly say.
She hesitates but nods. “Then so mote it be.”
With those last words, everything disappears.

This was just something I thought I would write for fun. I never though it would turn out 15 chapters. Thanks for reading!

Holding onto the umbrella tightly, rain pours down on all of us and I look down at the two headstones placed right next to each other.
Melanie and Richard both died the day of the battle. Melanie, who saved me, and Richard who fought to keep me alive.
I could never repay them for what they did but I can try. I will live for them and I will watch out for their family. For our family.
Looking over to my side, I see Jill leaning against Cameron. Her face that is usually a mask is now open. Tears roll down her cheeks, her bottom lip quivers and her hands shake.
They weren’t blood family, but they didn’t have to be.
Cameron is staying tough, like a wall that’s ready to hold up Jill when she falls. I look all around me. Everyone who survived the battle stands with gratitude and grief. Strong warriors who see so much death.
The warriors that died were already buried where they wanted to be. I’ve been to so many funerals this past month, I’m drowning in grief.
“You are allowed to cry,” his voice mummers.
I look up and see Ryan standing under my umbrella. I smile sadly at him before taking his hand and leaning against him.
I got my wish. Ryan woke up from death and everyone was overjoyed. Of course they questioned why but I convinced them that who cares? He’s alive and that’s all that matters.
“I’ve cried so much, I don’t think I can anymore,” I mumble into his chest.
He kisses my head pulls me tighter to him. We’ve been nearly inseparable since he awoke.
After the funeral, we all head home. The ride is somber and once we reach the house, we all go to our separate rooms. Ryan wishes me good night and I head to my room.
Going into the bathroom, I finally open my mouth.
Two sharp but tiny fangs protrude from my top teeth. They shine against the light and I cringe, thinking I look like a monster.
Leaning in close to the mirror, I reach up to my eye and take the contact out before doing the same to the other.
I haven’t told Ryan what happened to me for him to live. I just told him I had some heavenly help.
Looking into the mirror now, like every time, I wonder how he will react when I tell him.
Because who wants a soul mate that’s half angelic and half daemon. Not only that but with the power to hurt anybody with an intense feeling.
“Who’d want someone with fangs and glowing red eyes?”
Because only the bad have glowing red eyes and I promise myself that I will hide this from everyone for as long as I can.
Whether I think that’s a good idea or not.