Bed of Roses | Teen Ink

Bed of Roses

July 17, 2013
By julialove94 SILVER, Rancho Cucamonga, California
More by this author
julialove94 SILVER, Rancho Cucamonga, California
6 articles 1 photo 52 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I live to write, not write to live"


Author's note: Note: Story was inspired by the song If I Die Young by The Band Perry

Chapter 1- Present

I asked Mr. Saunders if I could use the restroom. He gave me a bathroom pass and let me go. The bathroom stalls at North Valley High are absolutely disgusting. They should at least clean the stalls every other day. I opened up the first big bathroom stall, or, at least I tried to but it was locked. So I went to the second largest bathroom stall. Yuck, toilet paper all over the floor; how disgusting. I had to go ninja status to make my way to the actual toilet itself. I put down loads of toilet paper around the seat. I was not about to sit down on that filthy looking thing.


I sat down and concentrated on actually going pee instead of thinking about the discomfort I felt in there. But wondering why the bathroom stall was locked, and it didn’t sound like anyone else was in the bathroom, really caught my attention. Somebody could have locked it because it was probably ten times nastier and dirtier than any other bathroom stall in here. But that didn’t make much sense either. Not realizing that I was staring off into space, out of the corner of my eye, I saw something creeping into my stall. It was oozing and a dark bright red, soaking and seeping up into the mounds of toilet paper on the floor. And it was coming from the locked bathroom stall next to me.


I began gagging and I quickly finished up my restroom break to get out of there quickly. I got out of the stall as quick as I could without touching any of the soaked up toilet paper. When I got out though, I ducked my head under the locked stall to see what lay under there and to my innocent eyes, it was a body. A dead body and her head was faced towards the door, eyes closed and blood everywhere. I screamed at the top of my lungs and ran out of the bathrooms in search for someone to help. A security guard saw horror in my face.
“What’s wrong?” he asked.
“Quick,” I rushed, pulling him by the sleeve of his jacket.
“What happened?” he asked more rushed. I took him into the restroom and pointed to the locked stall. He tried opening it, but he figured out it was locked.
“What’s in there? Can you climb under and open it?” he asked.
I couldn’t speak. I was too shocked and scared at what I had seen, but I shook my head at him in response.
“Can you please tell me what you saw in there?”
“Death.”
Immediately, he took out his walky-talky and phoned over more security guards and the principle. He then dialed 9-1-1 on his cell phone and spoke with them. They addressed codes and circumstances, locations and witnesses and then he hung up.
“Do you know how this happened?” he asked.
“No,” I spoke softly.
Kristen Sellers, one of my very best friends, walked into the bathroom. The security guard, whose name tag said Officer Martin, looked at her.
“Sorry miss but this bathroom is closed,” he said.
“How come?” she questioned.
“I’m just going to have to ask you to leave the restroom miss. We have a serious case on our hands.”
I looked at her and she noticed the worry in my face.
“What kind of case? What happened?”
Two more security guards, two police and a paramedic came in both sides of the restroom, and without another word, Kristen walked out.
“We need to get this door open,” Officer Martin said to the others.
The police man used a pick locket to unlock the stall door. I moved back behind them so they could take care of the girl lying on the floor, but what I could make out of it was beyond me. The girl had cuts on both wrists that ripped deep into her flesh and on the wall, written in her very own blood was, ‘I love you, Jacob Butler.’ One of the police men, Officer Philips, called up a crime scene investigator and the paramedics covered her body with a tarp.
Officer Philips looked at me, “What’s she here for? Was she involved in this?”
“No, but she came to tell me what she saw,” Martin said.
“She has no purpose here, get her out. She doesn’t need to see this,” Philips said.
“Wait, do you know this girl?” Martin asked.
I shook my head, “No, but I know Jacob Butler. He’s a senior at this school.”
Philips looked at Officer Martin, “Get Jacob in here, now.”

Minutes later Jacob and the principle came into the restroom.
“Are you Jacob Butler?” Philips asked.
Jacob nodded his head.
“You know this girl?” he asked, pulling back the cover and pointing to the girl lying on the floor. Jacob shifted over to the door. His eyes got wide and fear washed over his face, “Not entirely, but I know her name is Melissa Brown.”
Philips pointed to the writing on the wall, “Why does she say she loves you?”
Jacob looked up at the writing and choked. He could no longer speak or even think for that matter.

Everyone I have ever met in my life has had someone or something to live for. I never have. My parents, they don’t love me. My grandparents, they don’t love me. My aunts and uncles, they don’t love me either. The only friend that I do have, my best friend, sometimes, I’m not even sure if she loves me. But I don’t love any of them either. I don’t love myself.


I’ve been a flesh cutter for three years. I suffer from insomnia, anxiety and chronic Dysthymia depression. I have never been seen about these problems, but after doing all the research online and comparing the symptoms, I came to these conclusions. I have been alone, very alone. Everyone looks at me as if I’m not a part of them. I’m an outcast. I am far from the world. Nobody notices me. Nobody cares.


One thing I am sure of is that, I do know what love is. I do love someone. But he doesn’t know I love him. He doesn’t notice me. He doesn’t acknowledge me. He probably doesn’t even know who I am. But he should. I’m around him at least three times a week. I associate with the number one person in his life, who he might be in love with, which breaks my heart, because he doesn’t love me.


But what can I do? The worst thing about being depressed is that, even at your highest points, you still feel like you’re at your lowest. It makes you feel like you’re below the ground, sick, and alone and scared. It’s not something you can control either. You’re just depressed every single minute of every single day. So where in my day can I make time to love?


I remember back when I was eleven and I started my period for the first time; I had some kind of sick obsession where blood had seemed to really fascinate me. Not that I enjoyed blood constantly coming out of me but the color of it and the look of it caught my attention.


When I found out I suffered from all these things and when I could no longer figure out why I was always so down and sad, I cut, to remember something that had fascinated me. And when I did it, even though it hurt, I was satisfied. I cut on my stomach with a razor blade and on my wrist. I’ve cut on my thigh with a butter knife and even attempted a real knife too.


I wasn’t at all pleased with what I’ve done, but I always ask myself, what can I do? I’m not sure if my parents know I cut. I’m not even sure they know that I suffer from insomnia and depression. They’re never around and they never talk to me. The only times they do talk to me is when they have something to complain about. My so called parents are always one, working or two, out drinking every single night. I’m surprised I haven’t called child services on them but I honestly didn’t want to deal with the whole adopted parents thing and I knew I wouldn’t have that much freedom if I did. They’d probably check for any physical scars or bruises, which would lead them to see all the scars I’ve given myself and they’d send me away to some mental hospital or something. In a way, I was kind of scared to find out what my parents would do to me if they found out I called child services on them.


My so called mother would bring home her left over dinner and leave her scraps in the fridge for me to eat. But I didn’t ever dare to touch it because who knew where that meal had been before then. When I didn’t touch it though, and I so happened to be home when my mother was, she’d come into my room and say, “What, you ungrateful child. My food wasn’t enough for you?” The fact that she said “my food” makes it pretty clear that she doesn’t want me touching it because it’s her food, but when I didn’t eat it, she’d get mad? “Wasn’t hungry,” I’d say. And all the times she wasn’t home, I would make an attempt to throw the left overs down the sink and throw the bag away just so it would look like I’d eaten something. “You’re putting my damn good money down the drain when you don’t eat that food Melissa.” She always nags, I never care.


That’s the thing about them. Everything they tell me, I try to make it go in one ear and out the other because if it doesn’t, I’ll take it to heart, into consideration and it’ll affect my entire day. I’ve cut for three years and have suffered from depression for six years. It could have partially been because of my hormonal changes or the fact that that’s when I finally started understanding, realizing and remembering everything that has occurred in my life. I live in fear, in fear of being alone, in fear of being unhappy forever. And I don’t know how much longer I can do it for.

Life has been tough. Senior year has been even tougher. Not that it’s hard or anything, but it’s stressful. It’s that one major year where almost all seniors are rushing to get college applications in, finding a job, and avoiding the senior blow out in order to graduate high school on time. Having a girlfriend doesn’t make that any easier either.


I’ve been told that I’m good looking. Not only good, but great looking. Ladies love me. But I usually shrug off their compliments because there’s only one girl in this world that I truly like. Kristen has been my girlfriend for two months, but we’ve know each other for six. I never really saw her as the girlfriend type until one day, about six months ago, she came back from a youth camp she said she had went to and I saw a whole new light in her. She claims she found Jesus; I don’t really believe in all that stuff, but if that was the case, then so be it, because everything about whom she had become, I was attracted to, immensely.


Kristen and I tend to hang out a lot. On rare days, she’ll have her friend Melissa hang out with us and boy, is she a character. What I’m trying to say is, she’s shy, very shy. And quiet. Her outward look is dark. And she always looks sad. And it’s not like I’m attracted to her either. But her appearance, it tells a story. An incredible one. And on some days when Kristen just wants to hang out with me, I’ll encourage her to invite Melissa along just so I can continue to figure her out.


Besides that, Kristen and I have been getting along fine. But I don’t love her. I like to see myself as the guy who will help everyone else first before himself. Because, if I really sit down to think about it, that is exactly what I am.


I am the guy that every girl wants. But whoop-de-do. I don’t care. I’ve got a lot more respect for girls in me then people might think I do. My parents are the only ones who see that. I couldn’t thank them enough for that.


I probably think too much for the average eighteen year old boy. I probably consider too much. I probably over think things too much. But I’ve been trying to get better at it. I can’t seem to be happy with anything I do. But at least I’m happy with the majority of the things I say. I like to give advice and when someone calls me up for some advice, I’d be by their side at the drop of a dime in order to help them out.


I’m a talkative person. But I absolutely couldn’t bring myself to have a damn decent conversation with Melissa and that’s what pissed me off the most. Her dark auburn hair that fell just below her shoulders, her piercing green eyes. . . ‘She’s just a girl, Jacob. You can do it!’ But no, I couldn’t. And I hated it.


Part of the reason why I didn’t talk to her, could have been because Kristen is her best friend and I didn’t want Kristen to think that I was trying to move in on Melissa and forget her. Even though I know I’d never do that, I just didn’t want her thinking that. Because that’s not what it was that I wanted. I wasn’t trying to get with Melissa. She didn’t seem like girlfriend material. That might sound rude, but if anyone were to look at her, they’d understand what I meant.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 2 comments.


on Oct. 24 2013 at 9:13 pm
julialove94 SILVER, Rancho Cucamonga, California
6 articles 1 photo 52 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I live to write, not write to live"

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed what I have :)

Cutter911 said...
on Jul. 27 2013 at 5:47 pm
It's good,keep writing!!!!!