The Drama | Teen Ink

The Drama

By secole_05, Readington, New Jersey
secole_05, Readington, New Jersey

10 more minutes. When the digital clock on the computer read 5:00 PM, Tara scrambled all her stuff together to leave the office. The pressure of the final quarter meeting at the end of the month was stressing her and all her colleagues out. Only one was able to keep her sane with his slicked brown hair sitting perfectly on his tan forehead and hazel eyes to match– yet they’ve never spoken. Vibrations from her cell phone in the side pocket of the black computer case brought her back to reality. Tim Missed Call.

Thursday was date night, as always. But, the routine pattern in their relationship was beginning to frustrate Tara. Nothing new, nothing exciting. As the dull moment was sinking in, a knock on her office door startled her. Her muscles tensed as the face that appeared in the doorway was him.

“Sorry to bother you. Are you in a rush?” his voice calmly asked.

Don’t be lame. Don’t be lame. “No, not quite. What’s up?” she responded.
What’s up? Come on.

“If you’re not busy tonight, some of us are going for drinks once we’re all done here. You’re more than welcome to come.”

Another vibrate began before she could respond. Tim. Of course. Tim can wait until next Thursday, right? Yes, yes he can.

He was staring at her, waiting for the answer.

“Yeah, sure. Sounds fun.” As she agreed, Tara prayed to God that Tim wouldn’t be too mad since he had a temper that was unpredictable…
Reaching for her phone, her manicured nails began to type a quick text to Tim. She didn’t feel like dealing with his questioning whine of why she couldn’t.
Have to cancel date tonight. Work is having a meeting late over dinner. See you later tonight!
She quickly shoved the phone back in her bag, fearful to see his response. Closing the glass door behind her, she left the office feeling unsure and anxious of what her night would be like with the handsome colleague.
Pressing the heavy wooden door forward, Tara’s black heels entered into a loud room with classical music and a table of her colleagues in front of her.
“Hey!” Mark rose up from his chair and signaled her over. He looked even better being away from the work setting. Even Angela from the office smiled, seeming excited to have her out with them.

Able to relax, Tara took the black sweater off her navy blue dress. Her skin was glowing, showing off her youthfulness, her shoulders looking perfectly feminine. The dinner conversation was comfortable – she was able to ease her way in and out of the conversation without any hesitation. Sitting next to Mark probably helped. In the back of her mind, the disappointed face of Tim appeared but looking to the right and seeing Mark’s smile made her forget it all.

At 10:00, Tara checked her phone again. Four missed calls and three text messages. Come on. He sounded angry about her decision to skip date night, almost too angry. She wondered what he decided to do instead…hopefully he stayed in.

Tara’s family was never keen on Tim. His confidence was overwhelming and for her simplistic family, it was too much to take in. To her, he was always nice but to her family it seemed to be all for show. Her mother, trying to keep her baby girl safe, tried to let Tara know that she felt he was simply keeping her for a prize, to show off what he was able of “having.” That conversation, though, turned into a fight every time as Tara would argue back that he loved her for who she was and not just her looks. His personality was charming to her.

With her heels semi-wobbling their way out of the restaurant, she turned slightly to face Mark. Out of the corner of her eyes, she saw the same red car that Tim had in the parking lot. The flush of red appeared in her cheeks. Is this really happening right now? Denim jeans appeared from the driver’s seat, and Tim appeared. Mark looked up to see where Tara’s worrisome brown eyes were looking.

“What’s going on?” he questioned, while directing his eyes to Tim.

“My boyfriend,” Tara mumbled back, “Let me go talk to him.” She scooted herself away from Mark.

“Who’s that?” Tim sharply asked.

“Someone from work. Everyone’s still in there, I was leaving now anyway” she replied with her mood instantly sulking.

“Let’s go.” Tim demanded.

She turned to Mark who was curiously watching their interaction. He noticed it was strange, like she was nervous for something he would do. She carefully agreed to what he said and then nervously waved good-bye, turning her back on Mark quickly. Screw this, could it get more embarrassing? Feeling like a dog on a chain, Tara got in the car as Tim sped off.

Lying in bed, Tara stretched out her arms feeling unprepared to start the new day. Sitting up looking at the pale yellow walls around her with brown furniture, she felt blended it.
Boring.

Following that unlikable thought came the pleasant mental image of Mark. Who invited her out to dinner last night. Who stepped out of his way to make sure she felt in place and comfortable. Who was nice enough to walk her out to her car.
Then there was Tim. She tried to make the memory end before Tim came, but she couldn’t. She felt a knot in her stomach, knowing that at that moment last night something changed within her relationship with Tim. Who could she talk to though? None of her family ever appreciated Tim the way she did, and she knew if she were to talk to Tim about it she would put herself in danger with his anger. Early on in their relationship, they had a vision of being a long-lasting couple. Not as long lasting as we thought, Tara muttered to herself.

Pushing the thoughts of Tim aside, she rose from the impression of the lovely memory foam bed and realigned her white tank top, heading to the bathroom to begin her morning routine. When she returned to the room, freshly showered and ready for the day, she heard the TV in the living room. Tim’s home. She threw on her usual black heels, pencil skirt and simple blouse with earrings that decorated the outfit, hoping that saying good morning and being in a visible rush to leave the house would be enough to satisfy their conversation for the time being.

Hearing her heels clink from out of her room, the darkest of eyes of Tim met Tara’s face.

“Good morning.” Tara smiled as their eyes met.

Tim didn’t respond. After shuffling around in their tiny kitchen, Tim spoke.
“So who were you with last night?” he went on to say.
“I told you, just some people from work. It was a long day so we decided to go out.” But she knew what he was really getting at. Mark…crap.
“Come on Tara, you know what I mean. That dude,” the sound in his voice getting more serious and threatening.
“That was Mark. Just a guy from work,” annoyance spilled out of the tone of her voice.
“Well don’t cancel something to be with him again.” he warned.
Or what? Rolling her eyes and flipping her long, perfectly flipped brown hair over her shoulder and said as unenthusiastically as she could,
“See you later” before pulling the brass knob to leave.

Before work even started, Tara felt drained. Logging onto the computer, she saw an email from Mark. Her mind brightened like the unexpected sun coming out on a cloudy day. She moved the curser to it, and opened it up. It read,

Hey. Hope there wasn’t a problem last night. We should do it again sometime. See you tomorrow.

-Mark

Again?! Yes again! Before she could get too excited, she calmed herself and got up to go get a cup of coffee outside her office. Emailing me after last night must mean something right? Fixed in her thoughts, she came back to reality as the hot coffee burned the top of her hand.

“Good morning,” his cool voice spoke. Her cheeks blushed when she turned around with the mess of coffee in front of her. Tara felt like a teenager, giddy with excitement that it was Mark.

“Hey there,” she replied as nonchalantly as she could.

“I had fun with you last night. Hope you weren’t in too much trouble or whatever that was,” he said with an intent of figuring out more information.

“Sorry about that. It’s Tim, my boyfriend. He was just worried where I was.” Saying this basically gave Mark the clue that he was now a factor in their relationship. Tara’s cheeks flushed as her brown eyes met Mark’s hazel eyes.

“Well, maybe next Friday we could go out again.” YES!

“Yeah, that would be fun. I’d like that a lot,” she replied nervously. One to many emails went unanswered as her thoughts locked her into imagining next Friday with Mark. Before she knew it, the day was over. Pulling her long brown hair into a pony tail, the bangs slipped behind her ears. Her phone reached up to touch the bare ears, trying to reach her mom to fill her in on what happened over the course of two days. Tara predicted her mom would be ecstatic to hear about a boy other than Tim, but figured it might be best that she didn’t answer considering there was no proof to show that anything changed anyway.
When she arrived home around 5:00, Tim was dressed in fitting denim jeans and a T-shirt. She could smell the hint of his masculine cologne. He was up to something.

“Since we couldn’t go out last night, I figured we could tonight,” he sweetly said to her as she was walking towards him in the living room. As tired as Tara was, she made sure to satisfy Tim and keep him from thinking she was drifting away from him. Even if she was.
________________________________________________________________________

Half way through their dinner, Tara’s phone buzzed. That’s weird. She grabbed into her purse to see. Another email. Mark?!

Feeling guilty, yet with a sly smile on her face, she shoved her phone back into her purse. Tim carefully watched her smile form and the flush of her cheeks turn slightly pink. When Tara looked up from her phone, she knew that Tim knew who it was. The awkward pause was broken when the waiter made his way over. For the rest of dinner, Tim drank whiskey.

“You ready?” Tara carefully questioned. Tim’s glazed-over eyes looked into hers and nodded. He took the keys out of his pocket and forcefully shoved the chair back managing not to knock it over. Embarrassed, Tara kept walking in front, ignoring the mess behind her.

“Tim, I’m driving.” Tara stated as bluntly as she could in the parking lot.

“I’m fine. Get in the car,” he commanded back.

“I’m not letting you drive. You’re not okay to drive Tim,”

“I’m fine!” he yelled back. Other couples walking back to their cars could see the obvious tension between them.

As Tara walked closer to Tim, her phone buzzed again. Not now. As quickly as she could, she tried to silence her phone.

“Oh, who’s that? On our date, who the f*** is trying to talk to you?” the evident anger in Tim’s voice began to scare Tara. His muscles were tense, his body looked bigger, and his voice colder than ever.

“It’s an email from work. Cut it out and give me the keys. I want to go home,”

“Princess wants to go home. Well get in the car then, princess,” he said mockingly, beginning to poke and tease her.

You’ve gotta be kidding me.

He wobbled to the other side of the car and pulled the handle. Stay an arm-length away.

“Unlock it!” he demanded. She fumbled to pick up the keys and steady herself, now afraid of the way Tim was acting. Her manicured nails quickly pressed the unlock button on the key and allowed him to get in first before she did. Tim was silent in the car until they were home.

“Let’s go inside,” Tim whispered, as his hand reached over the console skimming her soft arms. Goosebumps sprouted on her arm in fear.

“Knock it off Tim. I just want to go to bed,” and she began shuffling her body away from his touch in the car. He tried to grab her arm as she got up, but she made sure to be fast. Tim’s slurred voice screamed obscenities at her and he slowly made his way behind her into the house.

Tara’s brown hair was in knots. Her eyes swollen from tears. A bruise on her arm, and scratches on her legs. Scrambling for her phone, she needed an escape. Tim was passed out on the side of the bed. I need to get out of here. Wiping tears off of her red cheeks, she looked for her dark blue duffle bag. As soon as it was in her hands, she threw in two outfits, toothbrush, and her work items and locked herself in the bathroom closest to the kitchen. Please answer, please. The ringing went to her mother’s soothing voicemail but it wasn’t comforting enough to know that she was still under the same roof as Tim.

Why would he do this? HOW could he do this? Thinking of the event before made the tears flow more heavily.

“Mom,” she took heavy breaths in between, “It’s Tara. Please call me back when you get this. I need to leave. I’m okay but I need to leave. Love you. Please call me back soon.” and she hung up the phone. Feeling desperate, she called the person who made Tim the most jealous.

Please answer, Mark, please. At the other end of the line, a deep and raspy voice picked up, questioning “Who is this?”

“Mark it’s me, Tara. I need help. Is there anyway you can please,” deep breath, “pick me up?” Mark felt the desperation in Tara’s voice, suddenly worried.

“What’s wrong? Yes of course,” his voice was clearing as he was waking up. Repeating her thank you’s she gave him the address and tried to calm herself down.

Tara’s head was resting on the side of the bathroom wall, when the buzz from her phone woke up her up.

-
Mark -

“I’m here…would you like me to come get you?” he sounded protective.

“No, I’ll be out in a second,” and within seconds she silently sprinted her way out of the house, with a loud slam of the door behind her.

Tara pulled for the car door handle and took heavy deep breaths once she was in the car. Mark was taken back by her appearance – so visibly scared and hurt, not put together like she always was.

“Its okay Tara, we’re leaving now,” he cooed gently. She felt the kindness in his voice and was grateful.

“Thank you,” she whispered back.

Night turned into morning, and Tara found herself in a strange room. Scrambling for her stuff in a quick panic, she then remembered she was safe with Mark. Looking for a clock, the time read 10:30.

10:30?! I never sleep this late. S***. Tim. Where is he?

She threw the blue sheets off her body and walked around to find Mark. He was in the kitchen, with cereal on the table and the aroma of coffee filling the room.

“Good morning, sleepy,” he said kindly, and then looked her up and down to take in the scratches and bruises that were left on her body. She followed his gaze down, and felt embarrassed when her eyes saw what Tim had done. Feeling a wave of sadness that was about to crash out of Tara’s soul, Mark assured her he had called the cops last night and that she didn’t have to worry about Tim for some time.

She walked over and unexpectedly hugged Mark. Mark held on to her tight, and she held on tight too. He tilted his head down and let his lips skim her forehead. She tilted her head up and his gazed promised that everything was going to be alright.

This book has 1 comment.

Aecnboo said...
Aecnboo, South Lebanon, Ohio

It's not the distance that defines our love, just the strength that keeps us together. -Anne Neal

Must have more! I love it to death! Pwease MOAR soon! :3