Dying Love | Teen Ink

Dying Love

May 14, 2013
By Infiniteinspirit, Cincinnati, Ohio
More by this author
Infiniteinspirit, Cincinnati, Ohio
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
If I had a penny for every time you crossed my mind, I'd only have one because once you crossed it, you never left.


Author's note: I hope you like it! :)

Gushing blood escaped my neck. An iron grip squeezed life out of me. I stared through his sharp red eyes and into his soul. I didn't have to die today. As fast as time was moving, I was slowing down. I could only think of one thing, or rather, one person. Catherine, my mind whispered. Save yourself. I was slipping into death, the world growing darker and darker. Then the burning weight on my throat was lifted. Agonizing pain still grabbed me, but the Life Ender did not. Now he was lying in a twisted, sickening heap at the soles of my shoes. I lay there for a second, heat surrounding me, never more confused. It took some effort to raise my gaze onto the cause of my death becoming longer. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was a girl my age that donned surprisingly small and fragile traits. How she had saved me, I didn't know, but I was no more thankful than any time in my excruciatingly short life. I finally fell into the promised darkness as she bent down over me.

His skin was smooth as red velvet. Gore coated the wound on his neck. My fingers brushed it. He didn't twitch. His pulse remained gone. I pressed hard on his throat and muttered a few words. They were ones that were sure to bring him back. Or at least his soul.
"Into the raging hole you fall
Breaking through the single wall
That held you back from death
Sucked you in with a single breath.

Though I can help you find your way back up
You may lose your past memories and the life you knew
But that's the only way to save you
So life slip back to me

Let me remain in control
Of essence, life, and soul
You live again for one more chance
And this life shall be enhanced

Come back to me
Reviens dans ma vei
Now you live
Maintenant vous vivez."

Before my very eyes, color was returning to the boy's face and his wound was healing. I had uttered this spell only once in the past, but it had failed to work. The opposite had occurred this time. His eyelashes fluttered like butterfly wings and sharp green stared up at me. A smile played at my lips. "Hello. I'm Sierra. Welcome to your second first day of life."

The first thing I saw was the dazzling smile on the girl's petite face. Then, when she spoke, her words connected smoothly and had but the strangest meaning. There was an uneasy prickling at my mind. Hadn't I seen this girl before? Didn't I know her? No answer came to me as I kept studying her face. It was a lovely pale color. Her eyes were a dull gray. Her nose was a stub and her chin had quite a point. She wasn't gorgeous, but I was still entranced by her. As she bent over me, long scarlet hair tickled my face.
"You're wondering why you can't seem to remember much of anything," she guessed in that chocolaty voice. I didn't respond. She let out a small giggle.
"It will take a while to adjust to your body. In the meantime, I might as well tell you where we are, okay? And some other things." I gave her a tiny nod.
"For starters, you look about seventeen years old. I don't know what your name is, though you might still remember that..." I gave her a tiny shake of the head.
"Well, we will work that out later. Now take a look at your surroundings," she instructed gently. I did as told and raised my head off the floor. My eyes fell onto a twisted, large body. I felt as if I had been electrified. I knew him! No, I knew what he was. "The memory is coming back," I croaked. "That's a Life Ender! He's dangerous and wants nothing but to kill people! Why is he here? How is he dead?!" The words were too much to manage and I broke out coughing.
"Keep looking please." The girl was oddly still. I scoped the area around me and something dropped into the curve of my stomach. No wonder I had felt so warm! I was lying on a metal platform, and below me was a fiery pit. I tensed and looked up. All I saw was black going on forever and ever. "Hell," I said simply.
The girl's eyes were daggers as they pierced me. "No!" she shrieked, her voice losing its lushness. "This is not the place you speak of. It's the Chamber of Eternal Sins. It is different in many ways." Her face turned stone hard. "You were also born here. The first time and the second."
The air seemed to drop at least fifty degrees. "What are you talking about? By the way, I still have no idea who you are. Why am I so confused?"
The girl noticed my great impatience and sighed. "We need to get out of here. I will tell you more later, okay?" Her eyes were almost pleading. "Okay," I murmured.
She touched my nose playfully with her finger. It left a cold tingling. "Close your eyes," she said. She caught my suspicious gaze. "You can trust me...always," she added. I shut my eyes tight. The next thing I knew, I was somewhere else completely.

I prodded his shoulder. "You can open your eyes now." I wasn't surprised at the awe on his wonderful face. "No way! We're in a different place completely!" he exclaimed. "How?!!"
This boy was extremely cute both inside and out. I giggled. "Well, you know a few spells, you can get far..." That hadn't really answered his question, but I wasn't ready to explain that part yet. As he continued to look like he was struck dumb, I was secretly struck dumb by his beauty. His face was the perfect shape, like a well-cared for sculpture that had been chiseled by Michelangelo. His eyes were large and pine green upon his olive-tinged skin. His nose was a long and his eyebrows had an adorable slant. His caramel hair was ruffled and unkempt, but that only made him even more cute. He wore a plain white tee and black jeans. I was terribly thankful that I had chosen the mission to the Chamber of Eternal Sins rather than the Ashton Woods for these reasons.
Yes, leave it to me to fall madly in love with a good-looking boy.
I look around. Tall stone walls rise out of green grass. We sat upon a burbling fountain, shaded by low-hanging tree branches. This is my place, my sanctuary, and I was taking a risk to let this boy in here.
"Can you please answer some of my questions? It's super annoying not knowing what is going on!" the boy complained. I tucked a strand of hair behind my pointy ear. "Right..." Should I tell him about his second chance at life? Is it too much to handle? "Uh, yes, so you just woke up in this...courtyard...and you don't remember anything because you fell on your head...trying to get in here from the walls...and now you don't quite remember things..." I was horrible at the art of lying. The boy looked believing though. "Wow! What a dream! Wait...who are you? And why was I trying to get in here?" he queried.
Think, I told myself.
"You followed me in here because you were fond of me..."
His brow furrowed. Maybe he didn't think I was pretty enough.
"Yeah, I guess so..." Then he glared at me. "But if I were to follow any girl, it would be Catherine." I was lost. Who was Catherine?!
"I remember some things...like that girl I love."
I hated myself at that moment when I felt a twinge of envy. "Well, you were following me. I am Sierra. Sound familiar?" I blurted.
"Not at all. But I just had an idea to get my memory back. I should find Catherine and she could help me remember things about myself!" The boy stood up. "Could you show me the way out? I have to get to Catherine!"
I growled. "Only if I come along."
"Why?" he queried. I was pained at his word.
"You're not in full health yet. It's best I accompany you. After all, I'm the one who...saved you," I said.
He looked me up and down with those gorgeous eyes. "Fine."
I didn't let his tone bother me as I led him out of my sanctuary.

As Sierra and I exited the courtyard and entered some woods, I thought of the way Catherine's eyes sparkled in the moonlight. And the way her laugh was like a second sunrise in the early morning. These memories were quite fuzzy, though. I had known her all my life, from the time we were wee ones to the time we had our very first date. She lived in Queensborough, Washington, a fairly small town on the west coast. I had no idea where I was now. I cleared my throat.
"Hey, Sierra, where exactly are we?" I inquired. She turned her stormy gray eyes on me. They were cold and hard like stones. What was her deal? Ever since I had mentioned Catherine, she had been strangely moody.
"West Shore, Washington. A...quiet town," she said abruptly. Her hands clenched. I lowered my eyes. "Great. Thanks, I guess." I stepped between two trees. A twig snapped. Then Sierra blew.
"You know, we don't have to go all the way to your girlfriend's place. Is she really that important? You have me now. Start new, how does it sound?" Every word was bitter. I gawked. "You're jealous!" I exclaimed. "Of Catherine!" Sierra's eyes showed insecurity. "I knew it...but you haven't even met her yet!" I reasoned. The elfish girl huffed. "Yes. You caught me. Okay? I am jealous of that girl you love," she admitted.
"That's alright." I gave Sierra a playful shove. "You're still pretty. It's just that I know Catherine in a different way, you could say." Sierra actually smiled and shoved me back. We emerged from the woods. "I loved a boy once," Sierra said, half to herself.
"Oh. Uh, cool..."
"He told me he loved me."
"...wonderful..."
"Then he left me. Abandoned me. Never came back for me."
"Whoa...um, not cool."
"I have not seen any sign of him since."
Sierra sat down on a moss-covered log. I hesitantly sat down next to her, a little fearful still.
"Is that so? Mmhm. Bad boy," I said.
She raised her eyebrows. "You do not care."
I grimaced. "No, I so do care!" I objected. She was wrong. I just didn't know what to say. Talking with her was harder than with Catherine. "You must be devastated...but hey, if I was in love with you, and not Catherine, I would not ever abandon you." And I meant it. There was something beautiful about this girl. Sierra stared up at me with sad eyes.
"Truly?" Her voice was innocent.
"Truly," I promised. And when I make a promise, I never, ever break it.
For once, I wasn't afraid of my emotions. I leaned closer to Sierra, and she didn't lean away.

No one had touched my heart like the boy just had. I got something good out of being honest for once. It was like being with him in these woods-alone-had made my tendency to lie disappear. Would spending more and more time with him make me cleaner?
"We should go." He stood quickly and inched away from me.
I nodded. "Yes. I don't like wasting time here," I lied. "So, where did you say your girlfriend lived?"
"Queensborough. Know where that is?"
I didn't answer and closed my eyes, concentrating on the name. Images flashed in my mind, showing me the way. "I am pretty sure." I hesitated and reached for his hand. The boy tensed, then let me take it. I started to run. The world was a blur. Green, blue, brown, red, yellow, white, black flashed past. When I slowed, we were in front of a supermarket. The boy's hair was truly a mess now. His green eyes were bulging as he looked at me. "Are you crazy?! How'd you do that?"
"Hmm...seems like your head still has not recovered yet. Do not worry. We're here."
"Here?" He was unbelieving. Then he looked around. He stopped breathing.
I smiled.
"Queensborough," he said. "I thought I'd never get back here."
Then he did the strangest thing. He started to dance out of joy. A woman stared. Yes. My very own crazy street performer boy. I did not want to ruin his fun, so I let him celebrate coming home. I smelled some sweet fruits outside of the market, curious about their names. Finally the dancing got out of hand, so I tugged the boy away. "Alright, we're in Queensborough, so where is Catherine?" I asked impatiently.
"Oh, sorry, right...she lives in a small white house in the cornfields. I know where to go from h-" But I was already focusing on the house in my mind. Tall stalks of corn and rolling green fields stretched out behind it. It was lovely. I was even more jealous of Catherine now. "You know what, I just remembered...I have been to this town before. I know exactly where those cornfields are. Let's go," I said. The boy was cornfused- I mean, confused -and I did not bother explaining it to him. I sighed.
This time, I did not take his hand as I led him to the girl he loved.

She was truly remarkable. Was she a witch? A fairy? An elf? At any rate, I was beginning to grow farther and farther apart from her. She didn't seem to want to tell me why she had magic. Maybe some things are better left unexplained. Sierra muttered a word and started to run. Even though we were not physically connected, everything became blurry. The wind tore at my hair. If fun could be defined, then this was it. Sierra had just made me one very happy guy.
But these feelings were not the same for Catherine. I pictured her in my head, smiling wide when she will see me. I need to be united with her again. It is more than simple love. Darkness settles in my stomach. What will I do with Sierra? Once she nurses me back to health, will "us" go bye-bye? I've never had any luck with my emotions. Especially not ones over girls. The guys in my old school called me a fraud. Whatever. It's not like they're any good either.
The world came to a stop. My hair settled on the top of my head. We stood before a small white house.
"Here," Sierra puffed, exhausted from two epic trips. I patted her on the shoulder. She didn't flinch away. "Nice job traveling," I praised. She grew limp and flopped into my arms. "Sierra!" In a second she came to. A smile lit her face. "Thank you."
We walked towards the front door, cornstalks swaying in the wind. Suddenly, I grew apprehensive.
"No! You can't go inside!" I shouted to Sierra. She stared at me incredulously.
"Why ever not?"
"Catherine'll see me with another girl and think I'm dating you. Not that that's a problem!" Sierra's gray eyes were piercing.
It took a moment for her to finally agree. So I knocked on the door while she waited murderously in the cornstalks. Adrenaline soared through me. I could hear the pumping of blood in my ears as clearly as if it were being amplified by a mic. Silence. Footsteps. Then the door swinging open.
It was her. Catherine. I knew from the eyes. But everything else had changed.

When he'd caught me in his strong arms, I had never felt better. But when the boy had warned me quite insistently not to accompany him to the door, I had taken the blow. Why? Why could I not come with him? Why would he so strongly not want me to be viewed as his girlfriend? Catherine, Catherine, Catherine. She was all that. So I had to wait in those itchy stalks until the front door swung open. Standing there was the most magnificent girl I had ever seen.

Have you ever felt that surge of anger and betrayal when someone you know well totally changes on you? Yeah, that's what I'm feeling right now. Catherine had never looked so breath-taking, yet so perfect and regal at the same time. It was as if she were too good to talk to, breathe on, or touch.
Her dark brown hair ran like a long waterfall, straight and silky, down to her waist. The tips were jet-black and spiky. Her eyes were a deep hazel and amber, lined with black. She had a delicate, straight nose. Her skin was tan, which was new, considering she was sort of pale before. Her lips were covered in black lipstick. But what she was wearing was the most stunning thing of all. Her dress was a striking golden color. It covered one shoulder, ending in a long sleeve, and her other shoulder was uncovered. The dress ran off in ruffles in the back; it was like a long golden snake tail. Her necklace had a large ruby, blood-red, matching the rubies on her gold dress shoes. A thin band of gold lay upon her head. But this girl was still Catherine.
The longer I stared, the sharper her eyes grew.
"What brings you here?" The voice surprised me. Once friendly and high, it was now sharp, low, and resonating from deep within. I bit my lip. Then I realized she had asked a question. "I have come to see you again...to reunite with you, Catherine."
At her name, she roared. "I do not go by that revolting name! I am now Lady Goldfall. That is what everybody shall call me!" My girlfriend was going insane. Otherwise, I was all out of options except that I could possibly be dreaming again.
Then her hand flashed out with surprising speed and grabbed the front of my shirt. Her talon-like nails raked my skin. "This is my territory. Unless you have important business-" her breath was harsh on my face- "leave at once!"
Hurt crashed down on me. I stumbled and fell to my knees, still in Catherine's grasp. I gasped for air, all of it being choked out of me. The next thing I knew, I was in someone's arms and I could breathe again.
Scarlet hair tickled me.
"Sierra," I rasped.
She smiled warmly and put a boot on Catherine's chest. She was lying on the doorstep, tongue lolling. Unconscious, but not hurt. Sierra was one magical miracle.
"Could not stand to see a girl take you on," she joked.
"You don't listen to me. That's what I love about you," I found myself saying.
"I am one to break rules at times," she confessed. Silence.
"Hey, um, if Catherine's rich, royal, and a 'Lady' now, why is she still living in this small house?" I inquired.
Sierra's skin was a white sheet. "It all makes sense now, every part. I am so naive, stupid, dumb, oblivious-"
"Stop! You're none of those things," I protested. "You're perfect. And what makes sense now?" She narrowed her eyes in thought.
"She wanted to lead you into a trap. To kill you. No, IT wanted to lead you into a trap." I didn't comprehend what she was saying.
"That Life Ender, or one of his allies, possessed Catherine's soul and made her queen of the Life Enders. Your girlfriend is a now a Life Ender, and she is going to end your life!"
The blood also drained from my face. No. Not Catherine. I shrieked and punched the door. It banged open. Someone stood there. I realized we had not been alone.

If I am going down, at least I'm going down with my new love. I clenched the boy's hand until my knuckles were pure white and sweaty. Well, I guess I will never know his name.
He is just as tense as me. His eyes flicker with recognition and...fear.
Standing one foot in and one foot out of the threshold was a Life Ender.
"No," I heard the boy whisper almost inaudibly.
The beast had dagger-like, red eyes with slits down the middles for pupils. His nose was a pointed muzzle. Black fur sprouted all over him. I gulped as I studied his iron chest. "It is time to end--your--life," he snarled through bared fangs. He flexed his claws and smiled wickedly. "Stand still, relax. This won't hurt a bit."
Astonishingly, the boy let out a shriek. It was not the time to stare at him like he was weird, though. It was time to run.
"RUN!" I hollered. Luckily, the boy budged. But the Ender thwarted our escape. With lightning speed he was blocking our narrow path to temporary safety. "Uh, uh, uh," he scolded, wagging a gleaming claw at us. "No cheating."
I found myself screaming too.
"Hey, you defeated that other Life Ender! Please do that thing you did-use your magic-ANYTHING!" the boy begged.
"I cannot use that spell more than once in a single day. It is the rule," I said, heartbroken that I could not save him when he depended on me so greatly.
"Then this is it..." He closed his eyes, his wonderful eyes. A fire burned inside of me.
I straightened and glared into the Ender's red eyes. "You will regret making this decision to hurt my boy!" I growled. I lunged and punched his cheek. It was hard like metal. I fell backwards. The boy caught me. The Ender chuckled darkly.
"Is that all you can do?" he sniggered. "And you're supposed to play nice, girly." He striked out with his claws and ripped away at my face, skin peeling off. I cursed and dropped to the dirt, immediately light-headed. The boy cried out and knelt beside me. It was the wrong thing to do. The beast leaped, claws and fangs extended, and landed on his back with a sickening crunch. The Ender satisfyingly grinned and stood over the boy. We were lying side by side, nearly dead. "I remember now," the boy whispered. "I know my name."
I perked up, causing me to grimace. "What? Tell me."
He was still.
Before I could grieve, I too was still.

The last thing I see is her beautiful scarlet hair. I realized I should have loved her when I first met her. Sierra, I thought. My name is Jay. Then the world blacked out.

Gentle fingers prod my arm.
"Go away," I grumble subconsciously. The pressure is lifted. My eyes blink open.
Impossible.
Catherine stands above me, concern masking her all-too-magnificent face. How did she end the Life Ender? How did she come to so quickly? Questions swirl, float, and crash around in my head. She gives a little smile and pats my shoulder.
"She's all better," Catherine reassures. Huh?
Then I hear a reply. "Lovely. Can I, uh, see her please?" The voice is music to my ears. The boy lives! He is alright! Footsteps tells me he is running over as best he can. Soft green eyes peer down at me. "Sierra!" he breathes, bending down to kiss me on the cheek. I chortle with shock. How can the boy kiss me in front of his girlfriend?! Unless...oh...
"Sierra, I was so worried that you weren't going to be okay!" he exclaims. "And that's peculiar, considering I got waaay more injuries than you. Well, I'm just glad you're fine, baby." I was still gawking. Catherine was expressionless.
"Oh, yes, my love, I had a little talk with Cathy here, and she told me a few things...I told her a few things..." My love? Cathy? Told her a few things? I was alarmed.
"No, no, not certain things," the boy indicated about my magic. Then he informed me about Catherine sneakily coming to and grabbing a dagger from the kitchen to stab the Life Ender. Not even those beasts are accurate, he had said. He also explained that we were in Cathy's room.
Was this all a dream? For some reason, I was hoping to wake up.
"My name," the boy said.
"Um, yes. You know it now?"
"Yeah. I'm Jay Winterfield."
"Jay," I spoke. His name felt right on my tongue. It left sweetness.
This fabulous boy is Jay.
"Think of it as a new start." Jay rubbed my forehead and grasped my hand. I pondered it. "A new start," I echoed eerily. Catherine stepped out of the room, maybe upset at how I was being so stupid right now and Jay was still digging me.
I clutched his hand tight, and lying there in the bed, I suddenly felt woozy again.
"Take all the time you want, Sierra. I'll still be here, with you. I'll always be with you."
Jay stroked my chin. I drifted off, the boy I loved holding my hand and a promise.

When I had imagined being alone with Catherine, I had never expected it to be quite like this. She turned her amber eyes on me with the familiar warmth, but did not take my hand or say, "I love you" as she led me into the living room. We sat down on the couch. It was awkward. I didn't know what to say. All I could do was fidget uncomfortably and stare at the floor.
Finally she broke the silence. "You wonder how I killed that thing. It was with my dagger from the kitchen. I snuck up on him."
"Um, yeah. He never saw it coming, eh?" I supplied lamely. Catherine frowned, not laughing away like she usually did. "There's something wrong with you, I can tell. And what was that creature?! It was terrifying!"
"Uh, that beast is called a Life Ender...he's a killer, and he was out for my blood." I ignored the alarm in her eyes. "Ever since a month ago, his kind has been trying to hunt me down. If only I could remember why...oh yeah, that reminds me, I lost my memory. That's what's wrong with me." When I said that last sentence, it meant something more and had a hidden emotion. Catherine didn't detect it, luckily.
"Oh, that's horrible! There are more? What if they hurt me?!" I raised my eyebrows at her sort-of selfish question. "Hey, they're out for me, not you. Though one of them did possess you with his soul. But his essence seems to have died out."
Catherine shivered.
"Enough about that. Can you please tell me more about my past?"
Sitting here, it felt like we weren't an item. We were just...well, I dunno.
"Right! For starters, your name is Jay Winterfield. You are seventeen-" Ooh, Sierra was accurate! "-and you live by the creeks. You play guitar, write songs, and love cats." Catherine gave a small smile my way. I didn't return it.
"Really?" I asked myself. Really, my brain replied. And then I remembered it all.
We continued to answer each others' mysteries. Finally, the avoided question came up. "So who's the girl?" Catherine threw out casually. I flailed around for a lifeline.
"She-uh-she is just a traveling companion. You see, I was lost--no. I can't do this. If you want the truth, that girl is Sierra. She nursed me back to health when I got hurt, and I...I love her." The words came spilling out like an overflowing pond.
Catherine was still, a stunning, perfect statue. Then, to my surprise, she started to sob. Tears flooded out of her. I had never seen her weep like this, except when she had lost her kitten, Sparkles. I again was rendered useless. What should I do?!
As soon as it had started, the crying abruptly stopped.
"Let's go check on Sierra." She silently got up and glided to her room, her golden snake tail slithering along behind her.
"Whatever," I muttered. Now I knew my emotions for Catherine. I was surprised at the things she knew about me, but I was also surprised at the things she didn't know about me.

Oddly, Jay was not there when I woke up. I did not need him to stay by me all the time, but I still craved him.
"Jay," I called out. My voice was not my own. It was deep, low, and harsh. I tried again. "Jay." This time it was not the deep voice. Instead it was the metallic growl of the typical Life Ender. I did not dare speak again. Someone else spoke anyways.
"Sierra! I'm dying!" Jay's voice was muffled. I got out of the bed and searched for him. Then my vision blurred and everything was dark. I cried out, but I couldn't hear. My mouth smacked shut. I fell to the ground, painless. Jay! my mind screamed.
I woke up.
Jay's hand was still warm on mine. He smiled down at me with lovely green eyes.
"Enjoy your sleep, Sierra?" he whispered.
"No! I had the strangest dream!" I panted, somehow out of breath. Jay leaned forward. "Tell me..." he hissed. "Or you die."

I hope Sierra didn't mind that I had to use the restroom. As I walked back to the bedroom, I imagined her perfect face, eyes closed all innocently, like an angel. Halfway there, pain shot down my leg. I fell on my stomach. A foot whizzed away. Catherine's gold shoe had kicked me. I craned my neck up. A devious smile littered her face. "Give up Sierra..." she hissed. "Or you die."
I choked out, "Never!" and tried to get off the cold floor. It was no use. My leg was on fire. "Fine. Have it your way. I just needed to gain your trust. I'm a great actress. That's another thing about me. And as the Life Ender queen, I get to kill their biggest enemy at last." Catherine cackled.
Even though Sierra was a sound sleeper, I hollered, "Sierra! I'm dying!"

I giggled. "Jay, do not play games with me." I tickled his chin. Then, before my very eyes, Jay was morphing into a Life Ender. He growled and bared his teeth-no-his fangs. I shrieked. The Life Ender snarled. "Shut up, little girl!" I stumbled out of bed, but the strong beast fastened his iron grip around my arm. "You and your boyfriend are the only ones who are able to stop my race! But if we kill you first, we win! We live!" He slashed at my face. Scarlet blood splattered against his chest. Tears welled in my eyes and I sank to my knees. The Ender released me, but only to crush me with his weight. He got off, sneering. I wheezed.
Suddenly, I heard the Life Ender give an agonized roar.
My hero was not Jay. It was, oh lord, my boss.

Betrayal. Pure and raw, it crawled down my skin. So Catherine had been a Life Ender after all. She didn't need to possess the essence of one because she was already cold enough. Sierra wasn't coming to the rescue like usual. I thought I heard a scream. Was she hurt? I couldn't bear to think about it as Catherine took her dagger out of the waistline of her dress and pointed it at my chest.
For a second I thought I saw a flicker of regret cloud those amber eyes.
"Prepare to..."
She couldn't finish her sentence. The tip grew closer. We grew farther. I closed my eyes for the last time. The blade came down.

Random, crazy, call it what you want.
My BOSS saved my life.
Who is my boss?
Let's see...he's the guy who assigns my missions. He's the guy who has given me about fifty second chances. He's the guy who appears unexpectedly anywhere he wants. And now he's here, with a hulking body under his rear. My boss sits in front of me, smiling with an amused expression.
"Sierra, got yourself in trouble again, haven't you?" he whispers. I reach a shaky hand upward. "Help me," I rasp. He doesn't move from his awkward seat.
"No more chances. Your time is up. The life I gave you, consider it ended."
"But why did you save me from this beast?" I murmured, eyelids fluttering shut.
No one answered me.
I gave in to a lonesome darkness.

He opened his eyes to brightness. Golden light shed itself across endless white fields of cotton. But these were...clouds. Impossible. He took footsteps closer to the light. He only got farther. A light voice tinkered through the air.
Jay whipped around.
A girl with scarlet hair streaming to her sides was gliding towards him in a long white dress. "Is it you?" Her voice vanished like a wisp of fluff on the wind. Jay reached out to touch her, but his hand went right through her translucent body.
"Sierra, I can't touch you," he said, his voice the softest it had ever been.
Her gray eyes flashed. "Jay."

"I see you two lovebirds have reunited." A voice cut through the dreamlike moment. A man stood upon a high cloud, tall and leader-like. He donned a deep red velvet cape.
"Who are you?" Jay asked.
"Seer through Heaven's gates. Duh, it's obvious."
"So what I'm hearing is that you decide who to let into Heaven?"
"So what I'M HEARING is that you are deaf?" the man counter-attacked.
"Never mind...I'm not deaF, but am I deaD?"
Jay waited, dreading, for the answer.
"Yes."
Suddenly, this place didn't seem so bright anymore.

She watched Jay's beautiful face cringe, fall, and weep.
"I can't be dead! I demand another life!" he protested.
"Boy, you have already had your second chance at life! If I give you another, which I cannot, I might be banished from my duties and live a dark life in Heaven! Or you-know-where-else!" the man objected.
"What are you...talking about...?" Jay queried.
Sierra's stomach dropped. Oh shoot, he was going to find out about his first death.
"That girl, you see her, right?" The man pointed a long finger her way.
Jay nodded. "Uh, yeah..."
"You died. She gave you a second life when that one Life Ender choked you in the Chamber of Eternal Sins merely a day ago at noon so that you didn't meet your bloody demise." Jay was horrorstruck speechless. "Yep. That's the story." The man gave a nasty smile. Sierra felt like she was sinking. Jay was never going to forgive her for lying about the terrible, dirty truth.

"Sierra, you never told me about this..." Jay said. He held her gaze until she looked away. "I am so very sorry," she squeaked.
"After all we've been through, you couldn't have just told the truth?"
"Hey, kid, the truth hurts," the man pointed out.
Jay shook his head. "Sierra, how could you?" he whispered. He turned around.
"You know, just stay away from me forever. I'd rather be dead then see you." He walked into white fog, not knowing where he was going, and not caring where he was going to end up. When someone tells a lie, it can seem small a first. But it almost always hurts in the end.

As he walked into white nothingness, Sierra fell to her knees. "Why do I lie? How does it help?" she sobbed. The man raised his eyebrows. "Yeesh. Teens these days. You know, you actually shouldn't've died, young lady. You were forced to die by your boss. Ugh, that hideous boss. So, I could give you another chance...you up for it?"
Sierra put her forehead on the fluffy cloud floor, broken. "Yes, another chance is just what I need," she grumbled sarcastically. "Well you know what, fine! I'll take it! I'll live again!" Her voice was a hoarse screech. "Jay-that boy-he said he never wanted to see me again! So I'll make sure he NEVER, EVER sees me again!!!"
The man took a step back. "Er...are you sure about that? We could-"
"NO! Let me live! I'd rather be alive than see Jay again!"
"Um-"
"You hear me, old hippie! Take me back!" Sierra was insane, eyes wide and dangerously bright. The man put a thumb up. "Okaaay then! Here goes!" His worried, fake smile was the last thing Sierra saw before she was given her nineteenth life.

Her eyes blinked open to blinding sunlight. Yes. It was home.
Tall stone walls rose around her. A fountain burbled pleasantly. This is where she belonged. Belonged before Jay.
She didn't need Jay. What had that stunningly handsome boy ever done for her? It had been she who had saved his life in the first place...and she who had lied about it. Maybe true love isn't always going to last, or even be found. Sierra sat down and cried.

I have died every day waiting for him. Died thinking about him. But he deserves better. Much better than me... Who knew life could feel more like death, no matter how many close brushes I had experienced?
I look out over the town. Queensborough rests peacefully, unminding to the rain. I spot Catherine's house. What a nice place to live. And what a nice place to die. I have not seen Jay's killer or her warriors since. They probably have no reason to hunt me down anymore since I am not with Jay...since Jay is dead.
I twist a lock of my graying scarlet red hair around my ice-cold finger, atop my ice-cold imprisonment's wall. My hair is dying too. But most of all, my love between Jay is fading. It is a dying affection. The rain started to get harder, tearing at me.
Cold froze my body shut. Rain kept my eyes shut. But nothing kept my mouth shut as I screamed into the endless black night, biting air scraping at my lungs.
"Jay!" There would never be an answer, but I knew he could still hear me, even if he wasn't there. He would still feel it, know it, and hate it. I hated it too. "I love you!"
The words were as true as the lying girl it came from.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.