Hold on Tight | Teen Ink

Hold on Tight

By Kitty2390 BRONZE, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Kitty2390 BRONZE, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

"The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats..." - Albert Scheitzer

Author's note: I wrote this with myself and a friend in mind. It's incredibly cheesy and cliche, but I enjoyed writing it and I hope you like it too. =^.^=

There will be another chapter in about a week or two. I'll try to do my best to keep a steady beat. Hope you enjoyed my first chapter

A memory, probably the last time I felt pure love and didn't deny it “Hold on tight, okay?” I still remember the sad place, the oppressive air and, perhaps most prominently, his hand warm in my own, but he’ll never be mine. I come out of my daydream of Tyler as I hear the bell ring piercing the silence of our classroom. My chair scrapes the floor as I stand and begin to gather my things into my backpack, suddenly a hand claps on my shoulder and I hear his barely-changed voice say “Hey Mags! Staring off into space during class again? Come ON you've been doing this since, like, kindergarten. It’s a wonder you get good grades.” He started laughing, when I turned to walk out he caught up and said “Oh, come on don’t be such a stick in the mud! Loosen up a little!” I look into his green-brown eyes and say “I’m sorry I assumed it was a small child speaking to me,” my eyes soften and I continue on “ Your voice still hasn't changed from when we were kids! What’s up with that baka(idiot)?” He exaggeratedly bent over, arms becoming flailing noodles and sighed “No need to bring that up meanie! And stop calling me baka!!!” I smirk and continue walking to our next period.
I watch Tyler when suddenly he speaks “Soooo. Any boys on your radar Maggie? I mean we’re in 10th grade and you've never been on a single date.” My face turns a terrifying shade of red as I start sputtering and scrambling to find an answer, when I hear him laughing I look over and glare until he stops. He grins and starts telling me that “It’s so easy to make you turn pink and pretty.” I blushed again at the pretty part of his statement. Not wanting to be outdone I ask, “Scoping any hot chicks lately?” He shrugs indifferently “Not really, but there's this one girl I've had my eyes on forever but she thinks I’m just a friend.” A jolt of jealousy hits me and I look down “Oh..” Our silence suddenly becomes awkward when suddenly Tyler suggests we eat our lunches outside ‘like we did back when we first met.’ I scoff “Yea you made a total idiot of yourself trying to impress those girls sitting near me in like fifth grade. You walked right into the tree behind me! Then I had to patch you up.” I was trying to impress YOU Mags... Why can’t you see it’s you I like? Tyler flashed a smile and then bounced over to the tree and plopped down already biting at his ham and cheese sandwich, I follow suit and gently ease myself to the grass. When I pull out my lunch I hear Tyler gasp “Good God!!! Look at your lunch! It’s such a teeny-weeny too-small lunch!” I look down at the lunch I had carefully packed that morning. Trail mix, half a cut up apple, and some water. “I don’t eat much you know that. And anyway it’s not like I can afford to eat a big lunch.” I know I sound exasperated, but I can’t help myself. I start to fidget with my dark hair for a while until I unwrap my apple, we eat in peace for a little, but then I stand up to throw my trash away when I turn around I hear “Maggieeeee. Wanna do me a big favor???”
“No.”
“You meanie! I do favors for you!”
“Like what?”
“Lending you homework answers, carrying your books, walking you to class all that stuff!”
“WHAT?!? I’M the one who does all that, and we have the EXACT SAME CLASSES!!!!! IF YOU DON’T WANT TO WALK WITH ME THEN STOP!!!!! Jeez!” I stomp over to the garbage can and slam my wrapper into the garbage can, then feel my shoulders slump a little at what I said. What if he really DOES start ignoring me? I mean it’s not like I’m an outcast, but I really don’t have many friends... I have... Let’s see now Tyler, of course, Penelope, Olivia, Max, and Chris. And other acquaintances. I haven’t really been social since the accident. I better go apologize. I cover my eyes with my side bangs as well as I can, during my slow walk back. I look up and expecting to see disgust in his earthen eyes, instead I see remorse. “I-I’m sorry Maggie... I was rude but, so were you.” I feel my face turn another shade of shy pink “Yeah well whatever. I’m sorry.”
“Oh, right, did you remember? Tomorrow is February 14th.”
“Ugh, DON’T remind me of that holiday. PLEASE”
“But Maggie why? I mean your birthday is on that day!”
“And THAT’S the holiday I hate.”
“But it’s your birthday!”
“So? Does that mean I automatically LIKE all that lovey-dovey junk that comes along with it?”
“Well, it can be cool! Like, remember what I did for you last year?”
“Yea, that poem you wrote and performed to me was incredibly cheesy, BUT quite adorable after I really thought about it.”
“Well good because I’m gonna do something for you again!”
“What?!?! NO!!!”
“But why?? You said you liked it!”
“I said it was cheesy!”
“But you also said it was adorable!!!”
“Fine. But you’ll have to drag me from my home kicking and screaming!”
“Challenge accepted!” He tried keeping a straight face but when we both saw it wasn't going to work out we both reached our breaking points and burst into laughter as we fell back against the ground. “Good afternoon.” my head whips around to see the as-usual-too-preppy-too-smart Christopher. Tyler walked over to Christopher and put his arm around his shoulders “Hey Chris, my man, tell Maggie here that Valentine’s day makes total sense.” Christopher looks at Maggie and says “Well, actually Tyler, Valentines Day is just a meaningless holiday for companies to mass produce items and sell it to the love-induced, unsuspecting public masses.” Tyler groaned while I started cracking up! “Man, your supposed to help a bro out here! Come on!”
We were interrupted when we heard a shout “Yo Ty!!! Think fast!!” then saw a football sail over effectively hitting Tyler in the head and my sides were beginning to hurt from all the laughter I was making. “Ty, your supposed to CATCH the ball. Not let it hit you in the head, man.” Tyler sat up, rubbed the back of his head and started yelling at Max “YOU NUMB SKULL!!!! IDIOT, JERK, STUPID PIECE OF CRAP!!!!! YOU THREW A FREAKING FOOTBALL AT MY HEAD!” Were all in peals of laughter when Penelope walks up on us. I could tell it was her because she always wore black and always had this intense aura around her. “What’s up?” she asked, as she nodded in our direction” “Hey Pen” we all chorused “What’s so funny?” she looked genuinely puzzled as if laughter was a foreign concept, which to her it was. I chose to elaborate for her “Well, Max here threw a football at Tyler and the ball hit Tyler in the head and we were all just laughing at his expense.” “Okay, well I just thought you should know we’re halfway through lunch. Don’t forget. Oh, and be careful tomorrow.” “Got it, thanks Penelope. I've gotta go do something okay? I’ll catch you guys later!” I grab my bag and run back to the school and into the empty music room.

RIIIIIIIIIING! I look up from my work startled. Crap I've gotta get to class! I run into English when Mr. Bentley is taking role. I slip into the seat next to Tyler’s and pull out my books. When class starts, a note falls onto my desk. I look in the direction it came from and, in handwriting only I could read, there is a question “What did you leave lunch for?” I roll my eyes and pick up my purple pen to write back “Well, Tyler if I didn’t tell you where I was going I’m not going to tell you now. It’s a secret.” I pass it back to him and I hear him opening it up. Then I hear his pencil start to scratch across the paper, folding it back up and tossing it to me. It lands in my lap and I unfold it and see “Then why does Penelope know about it? If you told her then I’m surely important enough to tell.” I think of the nicest way to break it to him without telling him my plan. I start by writing “First of all, I can trust her not to blab about it. And second, yea, your important to me but I’m still not telling you” I sigh, so much for breaking it easy. I toss it back and then I hear “Ms. Dawson, Mr. Jennings passing notes again? Maybe I should move you two somewhere you won’t violate my rules.” Tyler looked at me and then proceeded to speak.
“No sir that won’t be necessary. We’ll be respectful and quiet.”
“You better not be giving me any sass Mr. Jennings.”
“I wouldn’t dream of it, sir.”
“Hmph.” He stomped back to his desk and continued to do whatever he does.

When the bell rang we had one more period, Gym. I run for the locker rooms “See you in a bit.” I call back to Tyler. When I get in there I see Penelope already in there. I greet her “Hey Pen, what’s up?” She stares back at me and then responds “Be careful, I’m serious. Your vibes are very negative seeming. I’m worried something bad is going to happen soon.” I look at her and then give her a good-natured laugh “Thanks, really, Pen. But, I’m sure I’ll be fine. So, you want to know how Tyler’s Valentine surprise is going?” She looks down as if she knows I’m taking her advice lightly and then looks up and her mouth curved into a tiny smile “Sure.” We chat as we changed into our gym shorts and t-shirts. “So, why now? The whole gang figured it was only a certain amount of time before one of you broke and decided to ask the other out, but I just gotta ask.” I think for a bit then conclude “Because it feels like the right time. I’m going to sing him the song “Mary’s Song(Oh, My My My)” by Taylor Swift. Oh, but I’ve got to remember to ask the school if I can borrow one of their acoustic guitars.”

Finally, the school bell rang signaling the end of the school day. I had to wait for Tyler to put his books away before we started walking home. “So Maggie what do you want for your birthday?” I think for a little then decide “I think I want a guitar.” He nods and then seems to stare off into space. We walk in a comfortable silence for a while until Tyler asks “Hey wanna come over today?” “No.” He stares at me and I giggle and say “Just kidding!! Sure. But you better have Twizzlers.” He gasped and clutched the sides of his face dramatically “Oh, horrors if we don’t have any red licorice!!!!” “Baka!! Your so mean I-” “You hate me right?” He smirked and I feel my face betray me, yet again “Th-That’s not for you to say!!” I stare straight ahead while we walk alongside the road, until we reach our apartment building. As we approach the building Tyler looks across the street and sees our old playground and says “Maggie! Can we go to the playground!!!” I look at him strangely as to ask why when he starts begging “PLEAAAASE??? I’ll let you have all the Twizzlers you want!!!” Long story short, I caved almost immediately, like I almost always did. He ran over to our old tree and said “Remember when we were in first grade? We stood at this tree and played all day, after we went to our own apartments I promised my mom I’d marry you one day. Aren't I a baka?” I look away knowing that if I had continued to look at him I would tell him how I felt. When I finally looked up my cerulean eyes met his terra-colored ones. “Well! Um. Time to go in! Let’s go!” I felt even more conflicted from before Well I’m sure Tyler doesn’t feel the same way.
When we got back to his house he went to use the restroom. I started pulling out my things when I realized I had forgotten my English textbook in my locker I’m sure Tyler won’t mind if I use his right? I open it up and I see a sheet of paper tucked within the pages. Being curious as a cat I open it and look.

Roses are red,

Violets are blue
This is cliche, but I’m in love with you
So, say yes to a date with me?

I feel something inside me break, I think it was my heart. The only thing I can think anymore is that Tyler was finally going to confess to that girl he’s liked as he put it “forever” and now I’ve lost my chance to confess to him. “What do you think your doing?!?! Give that back!” My head whips up and, for the first time in my life, I see true anger in Tyler’s eyes. “I asked what your doing!! Tell me!” he’s glaring at me and I’m afraid of him. I’m too scared to say anything, all I can do is open and close my mouth soundlessly. He walks forward, I scramble backwards, snatch all my books and run out the door as fast as I can, crushing the poem in the palm of my hand. When I finally get the door unlocked to my empty apartment, I throw myself inside and toss my things to the floor, then sprint to my room. When I get there I start crying.
After I dried out, I sit down at my desk and see that it’s about midnight. I peel the February 13th paper square off my calendar and see Tyler’s terrible handwriting saying “Happy Birthday!” My eyes start to water again and I don’t even try to fight my tears. Sleep wasn’t going to come so, after tossing and turning for a few hours, I decide to just get up and take a walk. I change from my pajamas into Tyler’s high school football hoodie, which he left at my house a while ago, and gym shorts, then grab my phone, wallet and keys. When I get out the door I look across the street and see our little playground. I start walking across the street when I hear a honk and I turn to look, when I feel a sharp pain in my chest and legs. Suddenly, I hear a male voice scream “MAGGIE!!!!” then the feeling of being picked up and hearing the voice again and sob “Maggie? Hold on, please, I’m calling an ambulance for you. Hello? 911? Yes please come my friend just got hit by a car! She needs an ambulance immediately! The address? Right it’s-” then I slip into a black oblivion.
It’s dark. But, it feels kind of nice. I think I hear someone “Maggie, please wake up. I’m sorry. Please it’s time to get up.” “But I’m so tired. My eyes feel heavy. I want to stay here.” I try to respond. I feel so light, it’s almost like I’m floating. But, then a grey-colored memory washes over me. I see me at my parents burial site. I’m crying, It’s the day my parents got hit in a car accident, how ironic. I feel someone’s hand on my shoulder and the scene turns honey-painted. I turn around and see a young Tyler with his chocolate hair in his eyes and his little front tooth missing he says “I’m sorry. Are you okay? My daddy is gone too. But they are happy, they made it to heaven. So don’t cry anymore ‘kay? Let’s go home” My younger self looks at him, even back then with love in her eyes. An older version of Tyler then appears. Myself and my six year old spirit take Tyler’s out-stretched hands “Hold on tight, okay?” There's a dark corridor, I see something at the end. I rush towards it, there’s a bright flash, then nothing.
When I open my eyes, I see a white room, hear steady beeps and I smell medicine. A hospital. I’m in a hospital. Why? Oh right I was hit by a car. History seems to like repeating itself. I try to sit up but I barely get an inch up when I cry out in pain and fall back. “Margaret? Margaret Dawson? Are you awake?” Unable to move I grunt a little. “Wonderful! You've been in a coma for about a week now. We were hoping you’d wake up soon. Especially someone in particular. He’s here almost every day. I’m surprised he’s not here now, to be honest.” I make a questioning noise and she answers “Oh you want to know who? A young man named Tyler.” I shouldn't be, but I’m a little surprised when I hear his name, but a warm sensation fills my insides. Then I hear the door open and click shut quietly and finally Tyler’s voice “Oh, hello ma’am. How is she?” The woman smiles down at me and turns to him with a knowing tone says “Why don’t you ask her yourself? I’ll give you two a minute alone but then I have to run the necessary tests to see how she is, physically and mentally.” She walked out the door and I turned my head enough to see Tyler cross the room, while saying “You’ll hit me when you can move again, so before I lose my courage, Happy late Birthday.” he leaned over, bent down and kissed me. After he did he walked out of the door really fast. To say I had been shocked, was an understatement.
A month later I was out of the hospital. I took a cab home and took the elevator to Tyler’s apartment door. When it opened I saw Tyler’s mom “Hi Suzanne. Is Tyler here?” She smiled that secretive mom-smile and said “Yes, little Margaret he’s up in his room and I've a pretty good guess as to why he hasn't gone back to the hospital since you first woke up.” “Thanks! And I’m not so little anymore, I’m a grown girl.” “Grown girl, but not yet a woman.” She smiled and said “Now scurry on up.” I go to his door and raise my fist, prepared to knock but I lower my hand and think what if he doesn't want to see me? Or what if he is upset about the kiss? Maybe he doesn't know how to face me. He should know this isn't easy for me either though. I open the door and see him laying on his bed. “Tyler?” He almost jumps out of his bed when he hears me. “Tyler, we need to talk about what happened a month ago.” He sighed and said “Can we just go back to how we were before the kiss? I mean I’m sorry I stole your first kiss. And I know you probably came here to tell me to stay away but I could go back to how we used to be I’m totally cool with that and-” I got tired of his rambling so I said “Shut up, baka.” jumped forward and kissed him he made a funny squeaking sound before he registered what I was doing, closed his eyes and started kissing me back. When we broke apart he said “I guess this means your not mad at me?” I laugh and say “This is the happiest I've ever been.” He looks at me with an emotion I’d seen constantly in his eyes, but I had always brushed it off as a sisterly love. Now I knew what it was and I couldn't have been happier. “So how do you want this to go?” I ask, while giving him a coy look, because I know this is only the beginning. I take his hand and say “Don’t let go.”

This book has 1 comment.

CallieCalifornia13 BRONZE, Rancho Cordova, California

"If you have writer's block, you took a wrong turn in your writing." ~Meh

It's cute!! <3 Keep writing, I want to see what happens next!!! :)