The One | Teen Ink

The One

By _ReBeCcAC24_ BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
_ReBeCcAC24_ BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida

"For dreamers nights the only time of day."- Jack Kelly from Newsies

Author's note: My best friends went through something slightly similar and they're just adorable together, so I thought I'd write something for them :)

Stomach churning, and the butterflies are coming. I step on the block. “Swimmers take your mark...BEEP!” Instantaneously I feel airborne for what seems to be forever, until I smoothly plunge into the crystal clear water. As I come up to an effective breaststroke pull out, I’m off! As I bobbed up and down from the water breathing in all the air my lungs could hold, I was on my last lap.. Coming out of my last pull out I quickly peek over at my opponents from the other schools, they’re right at my tail! I give all I have left, hoping I had enough stamina to win the race. I slam my hands onto the pad on the wall, and slowly look around me for other swimmers.. First place! As I hopped out of the water, I feel all my teammates congratulate me on a great race!

“Great job Bella!”, says Emily as she goes for a hug, “I think you beat your best time for the school record again!”
“What! No way! What was my time?”, I replied astonished.
“1:19:06!”
“Wow!” How did I do that I wonder, as I say, “Thanks.” and begin to walk away.

As I wander off trying to regain strength in my legs and the rest of my body, I see my best buddy, Trevor flailing his arms trying to get my attention. I slowly but surely made it over to him and, got pulled into the tightest hug ever! “You did amazing Bella! New school record, huh?”
“Yeah, I think so, considering I’m the school’s record holder at the moment!”, I replied through a laugh. As he unwraps his arms from around me he begins saying, “So, after the meet, the team’s coming over to my house-”
“I am so there!”, I exclaimed way to excited. “Well, that sure wasn’t a surprise..”, he teased chuckling.

After, our morning session our team went for lunch to Tropical Smoothie. “So.. You and Trevor?”, Riley jokes as she plops down next to me in the booth.
“What?”, I respond obviously confused.
“C’mon Bella... Really? You’ve got to be kidding me right?”, she said sternly not believe me.
“Oh, yeah Bella what’s up with you two?”, commented Kristina who peered up from her phone, probably texting her boyfriend.
“Look guys, nothing’s going on! We’re just best friends! Is that so wrong? I mean he’s a senior anyway... It’s not like he’d be interested in me!”, I replied slightly irritated.

“Bella!”, the worker shouted signaling my food was ready.
“Thank god!”, I muttered and walked out of the booth, and to the counter to grab my lunch. When I sat back down at the table I noticed Riley and Kristina conversing with Emily, Gabby, and Haley. Oh brother..

“So do you like Trevor, Bella? Because you know I could make it happen..”, says Emily winking as she nudges me at my sides.
“Ugh, you guys! NOTHING is going on!”, I yelled. Everyone stared. Including yours truly, Trevor.

After that weekend past with the meet and the after party it’s got me thinking.. Maybe I do like Trevor. But, would it be ‘weird’ to be with him being a senior and all.. I mean I am a junior, and we are best friends. But something people don’t know about Trevor is that he used to have a sister. She passed away about seven years ago due to brain cancer. Ever since he’s shared that story with me we’ve became very close. I could tell him anything that happened to be on my mind, as well as him. That’s why he’s usually very protective of me. I’m like his “best friend/sister” now, and he doesn’t want me to get hurt. But, as I got dressed for school on that Monday morning, I received a text from him. We’ve been constantly texting each other lately, more than usual.

Trevor: Good Morning! :)
Me: Morning :)
Trevor: I’ll c ya at skool. :) Gtg get ready!
Me: Lol ok c u then!
Trevor: Haha alrightie byee <3
Me: Byee! :)

Most of the girls on the team know what’s going on, so I planned on talking to my best girlfriend on the team, and get her opinion when I would reach school...

When I arrived at the parking lot at school, I found a spot right next to a grey Jeep, Riley’s car. Just the person I wanted to talk to! As I was carrying my heavy duffel bag out of my trunk for swim practice, I caught sight of her. “Riley!”, I hollered loudly so she could hear me. She look bewildered, and spun around in a 360 degree motion.. I assume she finally spotted me and dashed over.
“Hey Bella! Need some help?”, she offered extending her empty helping hands.
“Yes, that would be greatly appreciated!”, I thanked her handing her my bag.
“Geez! What do you have in here? Dumbbells?”, Riley joked as she slung the bag over her shoulder.
“Yeah totally Riley..”, I shake my head in laughter at her remark.
“I was just checking!”, replied Riley.

As we continued walking towards the locker room, I thought I’d tell her about my problem I’ve been contemplating for a couple days now.. “Hey do you think it be weird if-”

“Weird if what?”, Trevor says nonchalantly as he slips his arms around both of us.

“Where did you come from?”, questions Riley puzzled yet a little frightened.

“Well, I saw you two walking as I just parked my car.”, he stated “and I tried getting your attention to wait, but it didn’t work. So now here I am.”

“Cool story bro tell it again.”, I said giggling.

“If you insist!”, Trevor jokes back laughing. “Well, I saw you two walking..”

“Oh brother..”, I giggled slapping his arm signaling him to stop talking.

“Well, I gotta run guys! Got tutoring for Mr. Ryan’s class or I’m going to fail this semester!”, Riley said as she began to leave.

“See you later!”, Trevor and I shouted back still laughing slightly.

We began making our way towards the courtyard, where all the students were socializing. There were actually quite the number of people here on campus, considering school doesn’t start for another twenty minutes.

“Well I’ll see you on the way to second period!”, I smiled.

“Yeah, definitely.”, Trevor replied . “Wait, hold on.”

He pulled my arm just as I was about to leave.

“I was wondering if you wanted to go to the fair this weekend?”

My mind wasn’t processing. Was this really happening? My best friend, who happens to be a senior, was asking ME out?

“Ummm, Bella?”, he asked waving his hand in my face.

“Oh, umm. Sorry, what did you say?”, I replied dumbfoundedly coming back into reality.

“Well.. I was asking.. If you wanted to go to the fair this weekend..”, he asked sounding kind of nervous all of a sudden.

“Yeah, that sounds like a lot of fun!”, I replied smiling.

“Okay great I’ll text you, then.”, he said happily.

“Alright, and I’ll reply!”, I joked.

“I’d hope so!”, he responded smiling.

RING!

Students began shuffling around to class, because first period was about to start.

“Bye.”, we both said grinning waving goodbye.

As Mr. Ryans continued to speak about the causes of the Civil War I pulled out my phone hid in my backpack, and saw: 1 New Message. I check my message to see it was from Trevor. It read:

“Cant wait 4 this weekend. Its a date :) ”

I decided to reply back. But how? I didn’t want to be all jittery and sound too excited.. Just when I thought of the most ingenious message in my head, Mr. Ryans called on me.

“Miss Pohlmann, would you care to show the class whatever is so intriguing in that backpack of yours?”, he stated sarcastically, as he began pacing towards my desk.

Crap. He must know I’m texting. Quick! I got to hide it somewhere..
“Well, you know Mr. Ryans's it’s just a bunch of binders and notebooks really. Nothing too interesting, or intriguing to you or the class.”, I replied trying not to sound guilty of his crime, as I stood up showing the class, carefully slipping my iPhone into the bottom of my bag.
“Oh, but of course Miss Pohlmann. I’ll let you off with a warning for now. No texting in my class from now on. I’ll be watching you.”, he replied sternly with his eyes piercing into my soul. I could hear the snickers of a couple of my friends in this class.
“Whew.”, I muttered under my breath. That was close.

“So Mr. Ryans caught you texting Bella?”, Riley said bumping me with her backpack as we headed to lunch.
“How’d you find out?”, I asked confused.
“I have my sources..”, she replied mischievously winking at me.
“Oh, here we go again..”, I say dramatically giggling.
“And I also, heard about this weekend..”, Riley stated singing the last part.
“What’s going on this- Oh, right.”, I said catching myself. “How’d you find out?!”
“Like I said Bella, I’ve got my sources..”, she replied laughing “I’ll meet you at the table, just going to fall in line for lunch, see you in a few!”

As I continued to walk to my table for lunch, my stomach started growling at me.
“Somebody must be hungry!”, Trevor joked arriving at the table.
“You know what they say Bella, ‘you’re not you when you’re hungry!’”, stated Ethan, another friend from our swim team added chuckling. Trevor went to give him a high five and chuckled with him.
“Shut it.”, I said and stuck my tongue out at them. I then walked over to the microwave to heat up leftovers from last nights dinner.

Well, you see I sit with my swim team. We’re all like the football or basketball team at your school, popular you could say, but let’s just say we don’t go unnoticed in the hallway. But, we still have football and basketball teams here at John Patrick Academy, they’re just apart of us, the “jocks.” Our school is different from a lot of others. It doesn’t revolve around a popular clique, nor a we ruled by robots built by the AV club, we’re all a family here. It’s simply the best place in the county to attend.

“Hello.. Hello...?! Earth to Bella!”, exclaimed Chelsea snapping me out of my trance. “Your food is done.” , she said while she was applying her sparkling pink lip gloss back on.
“Oh, sorry.. Thanks.”, I replied a bit embarrassed and quickly walked back to the table.
Well you see, everyone is really nice here, except for Chelsea.. But you’ve probably already noticed that by now.
“Finally! Pohlmann’s here! Better late than never!”, yelled Daniel who was seated across from me.
“Hey Bella!”, a couple people from the team said as I sat down next to Trevor.

I smiled wide at them, and began poking at my leftovers not feeling that hungry anymore.

“Hey, what’s up Bel’s?”, Trevor leaned over and whispered in my ear, snaking his arm around my back comforting me.

“Nothing, just not feeling hungry. I’m fine.”, I smiled letting him know that I was alright.

“Alrighty.. If you say so. But your stomach didn’t say that 10 minutes ago.”, he said half believing me. But he continued to keep his arm snaked around my back, rubbing it every now and then. I smiled for some reason.. Yet, I really didn’t know why.

“So it’s Saturday Bella!”, shouts Riley more exuberant than ever over the phone.

“Congratulations Sherlock! You’ve solved yet another obvious mystery!”, I replied very sarcastically.

“I just thought I’d remind you about your date with Trevor!”, she said pretending to be hurt by my snide remark.

“How could I forget!”, I said smiling. “He said he’d be here soon. He texted me a couple minutes ago saying he was just about to leave! I got to go get ready Riley! I’ll call you later, okay?”, I stated walking to my closet grabbing my outfit.

I didn’t want to completely over do it, with my outfit. So, I just picked a fancy casual. Some dark washed skinny jeans, a grey printed tank top, a cream cardigan, and some black sandals. Just as I was about to finish applying my make up my phone beeped.

Trevor: Heyy im here!!

Me: Just come inside..! Im still upstairs getting ready! :P

Trevor: Kk, be there soon :)

As I was shuffling everywhere in my bathroom to finish faster, I heard his voice after hearing the front door shut.

“Hi Mrs. Pohlmann.”, he greeted my mother giving her a hug.

“Hi Trevor! How are you sweetie?”, my mother asked engulfing him into her arms.

“Not bad, how about yourself?,” Trevor stated pulling out of the hug.

“Pretty good dear! Bella’s just up in her room, you can head on up!”, she replied waltzing back towards the kitchen.

“Alright, thank you!”, Trevor replied and climbed up the stairs

I heard the heavy footsteps clunk up the staircase. I inhaled and exhaled trying to stay serene, when all of a sudden, a bang resonants throughout the doors into my ears. I took a deep breath, walked towards my bedroom door, and opened it.

“Wow.. You look really nice Bella.”, said Trevor in awe.

“You don’t think it’s too much? I mean I can go change if-”, I exclaimed nervously.

“No.”, interrupted Trevor. “It’s fine, trust me.”, he told me flashing a smile.
“Well, what are we waiting for? Let’s go!”, I rejoiced giggling running out of my bedroom, dashing down the stairs.

I heard Trevor chuckle, as began heading downstairs, “Hey I got the keys remember! Hold your horses!”

“Just c’mon slowpoke! Let’s get this show on the road!”, I hollered already outside by the passengers seat of his car.

“Oh boy...”, Trevor murmured and unlocked the car with his keys as he opened the door for me. “After you my lady.”, he said in his “British” accent.

I let out a small giggle, “Oh way thank you kind sir!”

“The pleasure is all mine.”, he replied closing my door and ran to the drivers seat.

He turned on the radio, and our favorite song was playing. We just looked at each other, then turned the music up even louder, and started screaming our lungs out!

This was going to be an awesome night.

Riley: Howd the date go??? :P

Me: Pretty good!!! :D

Riley: OMG. Thats gr8t!

Me: Yeah ik :) i’ll tell you more l8ter at skool 2day!

Riley: Ughh darn! Ok until then! C ya soon :)

Me: Lol you’ll find out soon enough! Byee

I put my phone down on the kitchen counter. I cross paths with my father who was usually awfully busy, because he is an ER surgeon. He isn’t home a whole lot, but he tries to make it to all the swim meets he can. He has a bagel clenched between his teeth as he’s trying to put his tie on. I walk over to help him because he seemed to have some trouble.

“Thanks, honey.”, my father responded in relief.

“No problem Dad!”, I stated finishing the tie. “There you go!”

“Thanks again, and I might actually be able to make it to your swim meet today!”, he shouted exiting the kitchen to grab his shoes.

“Alright sweet!”, I exclaimed smiling.

“It’s a home meet right?”, he asked verifying.

“Yeah it is. At 4 o’clock!”, I replied.

“Alrighty then.. I’ll see you soon! Have a good day at school!”, he yelled and slammed the front door.

I glanced at the time on my iPhone, it read 8:15 A.M.

“ I better get moving..”, I said to myself.

“Yes you should girl! Or you’re going to be late!”, stated my mother who walked into the kitchen throwing my keys at me.

“Okay, okay I’m going!”, I said as I put my hands up letting her know I’ve surrendered.

“Wait, mom these are the keys to the BMW.”, I pointed out confused.

“I am aware of that..”, she replied grinning hinting to me.

“Ahh! Sweet! Thank you Mom!”, I shouted jumping up and down in excitement hugging her.

“Okay enough with the sappy stuff! Go or else you’re going to be tardy!”, she shooed me towards the front door.

I grabbed my lunch and my backpack, hurried outside, and unlocked the car. After three months of begging my mom to inherit this BMW convertible it finally worked! I mean, no one was using it after all! But, when I sat down and buckled up I realized there was a sheet of paper stuck in between the windshield wipers. I sighed heavily, as I had to unbuckle and step outside of the convertible, and snatched the paper off the car. It read:

Dear Bella,

Meet me somewhere, nobody else knows. Right near the sky, where we planted all the groves. If you still need a clue, it’s something green that you like to chew.
Hope to see you soon.

Love,
Trevor

I suddenly smiled knowing he took the time to do something like this. Swiftly, I rushed into my car, buckled up again, and sped down to school. As I pulled up into my usual parking space, I glanced at the time, 8:40. I had fifteen minutes until the bell, I should be able to make it to him in time for class.

I sprinted past people in the hall, getting obscure looks from them, as I pushed my way through them. I climbed the 2 flights of stairs until I finally reached the roof; where the garden was located. I opened the door and saw Trevor facing the opposite direction looking at the flowers sitting on the bench. I closed the door shut quietly as I crept up behind him.

“Nice weather we’re having, isn’t it.”, I said smiling sitting down next to him.

“Yes, very nice weather indeed.”, he replied grinning. Trevor took a hold of my hand and intertwined our fingers together. He took a deep breath and said, “Okay, if you like me enough will it work?”

“Will what work?”, I asked looking up to meet his eyes.

“Us, Bella.”, he stated. “Would we work out, you know, as a couple?”

“Ummm..”, I responded. My heart said, “YES.” But I didn’t want to jump the gun, and ruin our friendship. I separated our hands, and stood up. “Look, Trevor I-”

“No, I get it Bella. You don’t have to tell me. I understand.”, he stated as he got up and walked away.

I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t want to follow him and tell him I just wasn’t ready yet. I just hope he really understand what’s on the line here; our friendship.

“Hey Bella!”, shouted Riley across the locker room, “Ready for our meet?”
“Yeah definitely! I’m psyched! I can’t wait to swim against Lakewood High! They’re our biggest competition yet!”, I said trying to sound peppy, but yet inside I was still upset about what happened earlier.
When I finished changing into my suit, Riley and I walked towards the pool deck. As we came exited the locker room, Trevor was right outside, he was talking to one of our other best friends, Daniel. I could tell they were talking about me because when we came outside they stopped talking, and just looked at me and glanced back at each other waiting for me to leave to continue their discussion.
“What was that all about?”, asked Riley bewildered.
“I have no idea. And I don’t really care.”, I stated not wanting to pursue this subject.
I have a feeling Riley caught my drift and dropped the topic. We walked in silence the
rest of the way there. “C’mon ladies and gentlemen, we don’t have all day! Let’s get in the water! 200 free warm up!”, yelled Coach Helen.

I placed my bag down by the bleachers, right when someone puts theirs right down next to mine, I peered up glancing up slightly annoyed.

“Oh! I’ll move! I’m really sorry Bella.”, stated a young girl, probably a new seventh grader that I’ve never met before.

I probably freaked her out.. “No, it’s okay I’m sorry! I just thought you were someone else. You can stay here, you don’t have to move.”, I apologized looking at her sincerely.

“No, it’s really okay! I know you always sit and hang out with that one brown haired boy.”, she stated gesturing over to Trevor.

“Oh yeah, Trevor.”, I said with no emotion.

“Is there something wrong with you two?”, this seventh grader questioned me.

I didn’t even know her name, yet she could understand me so well..

“Yeah, there is actually.”, I said slowly realizing I was opening up to her.

“You two are always joking around and laughing, I just got a bit curious that’s all. You don’t have to tell me anything if you don’t want to.”, she responded.

“It’s just complicated.”, I stated through a sigh rummaging through my swim bag trying to find my cap and goggles.

“Well.. If you ask me, you guys would look pretty cute together!”, she giggled.

Trevor was just a couple feet away, and I could hear him chuckle and smirk at her comment.

“Thanks, but I don’t know-”

“Don’t know what? You know the saying, you never know until you try. Surprise yourself. What’s the worse that could happen?”, she said making it all sound easy. But that’s what she didn’t comprehend. That that “worse thing” is probably the worst thing that could happen!

“Well, thanks for the advice kiddo, but you hardly even know me.”, I replied trying to sound nice.

“I know that, but honestly.. You looked a lot happier before.”, the seventh grader stated and walked away up to the bleachers with her other seventh grader friends.

As I jogged over to the pool for warm ups, that girl got me thinking.. What do I exactly have to loose. If I never take the chance, it’ll never happen.
After our warm ups one of my first events, the 200 Individual Medley was up. I stepped on the block. I don’t think I’ve ever been more nervous than I am now. I could feel my stomach churning again, and my arms were shaking just waiting to hit the water and begin. “Swimmers take your mark...BEEP!” I leaped off into my first 50 meters of butterfly, following backstroke, breaststroke, and freestyle. I was so distracted about everything I didn’t realize how fast I was going. When I touched the wall I looked around and now one was there! I was so caught up with everything I guess I released my anger out of this race! I blew my time out by eight whole seconds, it was ridiculous.
It hit me that it was so ridiculous that once I hopped out of the pool, I could barely even walk! More the less stand! My dad and Riley rushed to my side supporting me around my shoulders helping me walk to the cool down pool.
“Oh my gosh Bella! You did amazing!”, exclaimed my father.
“Yeah you did!”, chimed Riley.
“Thanks guys..”, I replied still trying to regain my breath.
When we got to the cool down pool they pushed me in, and ran laughing.
“Nice Job Mr. P.!”, said Riley as she high-fived my dad.
“I knew it was too good to be true.”, I chuckled to myself before beginning to swim some cool down laps.
I pushed off the wall and suddenly stopped when I saw who was in my lane. I swam over and stood next to him, he was watching the other races from this pool.
“Great swim Bella.”, Trevor told me not even making eye contact.
“Thank you.”, I replied feeling the awkwardness.
“No problem.”, he stated not looking at me, still focusing on the race.
After a while of long silence I thought of what the girl told me. What do I have to loose?
“Yes.”, I said facing towards him.
“What? I didn’t even ask you a question?”, he replied finally turning to look at me puzzled.
“Oh, yes you did.”, I replied and slowly grabbed his hand and intertwined with mine. “So my answer is yes.”, I stated simply smiling.
At first I could read Trevor’s face at all, then all of a sudden the biggest smile I have ever seen him smile was spread across his face.
“Really??”, he asked excited.
“Really.”, I responded.
He pulled me in for a tight hug, and I never wanted to let go.

After we won the meet and thanked Longwood High for swimming against us, I needed to go find that seventh grader.. This was a mission that needed to be completed. I told Trevor that I had to leave. So he stands behind me and wraps his arms around my torso as he softly leans in to kiss my cheek.

“Bye Bella.”, he whispered and spun me around for a hug.

“Bye Trevor I’ll see you tomorrow.” I said pulling out of the hug and towards the locker room to find that girl.

As I saw one of the other seventh graders I asked them where she was, but they had no idea who I was talking about. I decided I would just find her tomorrow during practice and thank her. After I changed out of my suit into some comfy clothes, and saw the girl sitting on the bench near the parking lot awaiting her ride.

“Hi.”, I said, sitting down next to her.

“You took my advice didn’t you.”, she stated smiling. “You’re happier already.”

“Yeah, I did actually. And thank you by the way.”, I said so grateful for her.

“Anytime.”, she replied.

“So what’s you’re name?”, I asked curious because I’ve hardly remember meeting her.

“Anne-Marie.”, she responded smiling.

“What a lovely name, I’m Bella.”, I exclaimed introducing myself.

“Why thank you. And oh I already knew you before! You’re like the greatest swimmer in our state! How could I not know you!”, she said expressing her great gratitude for me.

“Well thank you again Anne-Marie for everything.”, I said before getting up to my Dad’s car.

“Your welcome!”, she replied.

I realized I forgot my Calculus book in the pool deck, so I hurried back to get it. I saw Coach Helen’s car still in the parking lot, so she surely must still be here.
“What are you still doing here champ?”, Coach Helen asked me.
“I forgot my Calculus book in the bleachers.”, I stated laughing.
“Oh I thought you wanted to come swim some more laps!”, she joked. “I actually picked it up from the bleachers. It’s in the lifeguard room.”
I followed her in there and she handed me the book. “Thank you.”, I stated.
“No problem!”, Coach Helen stated.
“You know I just met one of the seventh graders on our team today..”, I exclaimed.
“Oh did you now? “, she said.
“Yeah Anne-Marie, I’ve never recognized her till today.”, I chimed.
“Anne-Marie?,” Coach Helen started, “there’s no Anne-Marie on this team at all!”
“What are you talking about Coach?! Of course there’s an Anne-Marie on the team! I just talked to her ten minutes ago. She was sitting right on the bench-”, I cut myself short as I saw she wasn’t there anymore.
“Maybe you need to go get some sleep Pohlmann I don’t want you sick for our district meet coming up in two weeks..”, added Coach Helen slightly worried.
“Yeah, maybe that’s just it.”, I wondered as I walked back to my car in the parking lot and drove home.

After a couple weeks Trevor and I began dating. We were inseparable. We hung out and did homework together after swim practice, and went on "dates" over the weekend. I've always seen Anne-Marie at school but never had the guts to go up to her, scared at the fact the Coach Helen told me.
One day when Trevor and I were laying in his bed just talking, I glanced over and saw a picture of him and his sister.
"Is that her?", I asked slightly tightening the grip on his hand.
"Yeah, that's her.", he said a little gloomy.
In another picture, was her whole family by her grave. I seemed to recognize it, partly because I was there when happened. I thought I wouldn't bring up looking at that one, it was probably too hard for him.
"She's looks like such an angel.", I added. "Her smile is so full and radiant. Was this taken in the hospital?", I questioned as I noticed an oxygen nosepiece attached to her.
"Yeah, it was. My mom took it two days before she passed.", he stated holding me a little tighter. I held onto him letting him know I was there for him.
"What was her name?", I wondered curiously.
"Anne-Marie.", he whispered through his breath.
Wait. What was going on? I was about to say something, but Trevor already began tearing up.
"Shhhh.. It's okay Trevor. ", I soothed rubbing his back yet still very confused.
"I just wished she was here..", he cried out through a sob.
After we sat there together for a while, embracing each other not wanting the moment to end. The long silence between us was perfect. We didn't need words to communicate with each other. Just the presence of each other made it worthwhile. Also, during this silence I've come to a conclusion. I needed to go somewhere, even though Trevor really needed me. I had to take care of this now. Or I would never get this opportunity again.
I received a text from my mother saying to be home by six o'clock for dinner. I figured this would be the best excuse to leave Trevor.
"Hey Trevor..", I murmured softly touching his arm to get his attention. "Mom says I need to go run some errands before I head home for dinner."
"Oh, alright.", he said his voice still muffled from crying.
"I'll see you soon.", I stated got up and peck him on the lips, and left his house.
I started my car, and headed to the cemetery.

I pulled into the deserted cemetery, it was deserted. The eerie wind slammed my car door shut, as I stepped out. Fantastic. Every teenagers nightmare, to be in a cemetery, around night time. The dark brown, orange-yellow fall leaves were covered everywhere on the ground. I would cringe at the thought every second of being by myself. As I searched high and low looking for an Anne-Marie tombstone, it felt like looking for chameleon. You knew it was there, but you just couldn’t really see it... I needed to hurry, because it was 6:30 P.M., and I needed to be home by 7 o'clock for dinner.

I take a couple steps towards the last few rows, hoping I would find her. Then, all of a sudden I see her, sitting on top of her grave. She's swinging her legs back and forth as if she knew I was coming, and awaits my presence. I slowly paced towards her, realizing what was happening; I must have a sixth sense.
As I approached her reaching approximately a 2 foot radius I kept my distance, not entirely sure if she was a zombie, and wanted to eat my brains or something...
"Stop being a baby. Geez! I'm not going to kill you!", she exclaimed jokingly.
"Well, I'm sorry. It's just human instinct. We don't just usually do this..", I stated stepping closer towards her.
"So you've figured me out, huh?", Annie-Marie said through a smile, hopping off her tombstone.
"Yeah I have. It's just....", I said trying to find the right words to describe my emotions right now. “Why...how?”, I pondered just wanting some answers.

“Well, it’s simple.”, she said, “You make my brother happy.”

“I would hope so.”, I replied.

“And, I just needed to make him happy.”, she exclaimed.

“But, we were best friends before.”, I stated just a little confused. “So why do you just come and approach me now?”

She giggled, “You still aren’t catching my drift are you?”

“Assuming that I am lost, no I’m not.”, I returned giving up.

“Well, you believe in angels right?”, she began.

“Yeah, like angels in heaven.”, I stated nodding my head.

“Well, you see.. I’m Trevor’s guardian angel. Ever since I passed away from heart cancer, God told me he had the most perfect spot for me, right when I got there.”, she added.

I nodded my head, gesturing her to continue.

“He explained to me that Trevor needed me, and I was now assigned to him.”, she stated.

“Oh alright.”, I said trying to take it all in.

“So when you two first met, I knew instantaneously that you were the one.”, Anne-Marie stated, as she began walking towards the entrance of the cemetery.

I started to walk by her and asked, “What do you mean by ‘the one?’”, I wondered.

“The one. The one, that would fill my void. The one, that would make him smile. The one, that would tell him everything would be just fine, even if it wasn’t.”, she said as she glanced over at me.

That certainly was a lot to take in. I mean, could this really be me?

“I understand, it’s a little extreme for you now. But, I checked his plan that they have up in the files, just to double check my facts, the other day.”

“Wait, what plan?”, I asked very bewildered now, “And, what files? What are you talking about?”
“Oh, oops!”, Anne-Marie said.
I raised my eyebrows not completely comprehending this conversation.
“Forget, I said that.. We’ll I’ve got to run. God’s calling!”, she exclaimed.
“Wait! Don’t go yet!”, I yelled, but it was too late. She was already gone.

It was our district race today, we had to wake up at 6 o’clock in the morning to catch the charter bus at our school, to the big meet! Trevor and I already planned sitting next to each other. We also decided to take a quick nap to get some energy for the meet! But as the sunshine just began to rise, I woke up again. I was blown away observing the magnificent sight. I was debating on waking Trevor up to show him, but he looked so peaceful sleeping. I figured I didn’t want to bother him.
After another good hour, he ended up waking up because the bus driver slammed on the brakes.

“Ugh..”, he groaned.
“Good morning sleepy head.”, I joked.

“I just want to go back to sleep!”, he exclaimed.

I laughed, “Well we’re almost there..”

“How far are we?”, he asked as he buried his face into my neck mumbling.

“Well, just about another hour..”, I stated giggling.

“That’s a lot of time! I can go back to sleep!”, he said yanking me towards him.

I just laughed, and listened to the music on my iPhone.

“You ready for your races?”, I asked him.

“I think so.. I mean don’t think I really have anything to swim for anyways. It’s not like I’m getting a scholarship for swimming or anything.”, Trevor stated.

“Well how about this..”, I began, “Swim for me, and most importantly swim for Anne-Marie.”, I finished pointing to his heart.

He was a little skeptical at first looking down towards my hand. Then he said, “I will. I’ll win for you and Anne-Marie today.”
“That’s more like it.”, I replied smiling back at him.
“Well, what can I say I’ve got the best person ever right next to me..”, Trevor joked. “You better not be going anywhere, anytime soon.”, he stated getting a little serious.
“I won’t be going anywhere at all.”, I replied smiling.

Well, at least that’s what I thought, according to Anne-Marie. The plan she was talking about when I last saw her. That I was the one. The one for him, and that certainly would never ever change.