A Day In The Life Of... | Teen Ink

A Day In The Life Of...

April 16, 2013
By Cody Cotterman, North Baltimore, Ohio
More by this author
Cody Cotterman, North Baltimore, Ohio
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Russell thought to himself, “She still cares about me, she still wants to talk to me, that means a lot especially after everything that has happened in the past. She’s giving me another chance I think… What do I do, I still have Kristy… what do I do?!”

When Kristy decided to treat Russell badly for so long ago, Russell didn’t know what to do. One fateful day Russell accidentally ran into this girl he had never seen before in the hallway at school. They had gone to the same school their whole lives, two strangers who didn’t know anything about the other. They didn’t even know one another’s existence. That day, Russell wasn’t paying attention to where he was going and plowed Nicole up against a locker and made her drop her books and papers. Russell immediately turned to this girl he had never spoken to before, Russell stared into her beautiful copper eyes. He finally brought himself to words.
“Excuse me, I didn’t see you there, are you okay? Let me help you, did I hurt you?” Russell said with a tickle in his throat.
“I’m fine” Nicole said as she stared back into Russell’s deep blue eyes. “Are you sure, I ran into you pretty hard there…” As he picked up her books off of the ground.
“No seriously I’m okay… You’re Russell right?” Nicole said nervously to the boy bent down stacking her books on the ground.
“Well yes I am, I’m sorry but you are?” Russell replied.
“Oh I’m Nicole, thank you for picking up my books, I could have gotten them.” Nicole said.
“No I ran into you, it was the least I could do, seriously, it’s no big deal. Again I’m very sorry about that, forgive me?” Russell said staring straight into her eyes again.
“Y… Yeah, I forgive you, it was an accident!” Nicole nervously stuttered.
“Okay, thank you Nicole, well I have to be getting on my was, hope to talk to you soon.”
“Anytime Russell, and talk to me whenever you like.” Nicole said with the biggest smile on her young face.
Russell would continue his day just like any other day, but with the thought of Nicole in the back of his mind.
Russell wanted to talk to her again, there was something about her that appealed to him, but he wasn’t sure what it was. He debated texting her for hours.
Russell finally brought himself to find Nicole’s number from one of his friend, Nicole, thinking about Russell, had no idea what was in store. Russell hesitantly texted Nicole for the first time, he finally wrestled up enough courage to text her.
“Heyy, Is this Nicole?” Russell said in his first ever text to Nicole.
“Yeah, who’s this?” Nicole responded
“Okay, well its Russell, you don’t mind that I text you do you?” Russell said.
Nicole paused for a minute and thought about him having a girlfriend, she thought about it a few seconds.
“Nope, you can text me.” With a smile on her face.
The two would text for hours, then hours would turn into days and then the days would turn into weeks. The two would call each other before bed every night.
One thing would eventually lead to another and they would just talk for hours on end, day after day. They secretly became best friends they didn’t know how it happened, it just happened; it’s something no one understood. Nicole understood that Russell was in a relationship and she respected that, she liked Russell, and Russell liked her. Nicole loved to talk to Russell. They could literally talk about completely nothing, for hours and hours, and they both loved that about one another.

Russell was happier with his life because he had someone to talk to about everything, basketball, football, his friends, family, and just absolutely everything, and that made Russell happy. Nicole was happier with her life because she finally felt like a man actually cared about her, it didn’t matter to her if she didn’t think they had a future, she was just happy that someone cared about her, and Russell felt the same. Months passed between the two friends, Kristy still didn’t know about the two. But one day Kristy started no notice a change in Russell, she couldn’t quite put her finger on it. But in all reality, Russell was falling for Nicole, and Kristy had no idea. When Russell talked to Nicole he was happy, he felt loved, he felt wanted, he felt everything he wanted with Kristy. He was ecstatic to know someone out there made him feel the way he wanted to feel, he was happy, he was in love.
Russell lived on, in love with Nicole and pretended to be happy with Kristy. Russell would continue to talk to Nicole and not have a worry in the world when doing so.
Everything seemed to be going fine for months. Out of the blue one day Russell was questioned by Kristy about Nicole. Little did Russell know that Nicole actually let her tongue slip about the two? Russell quickly denied the accusations and tried to go back to his normal day, but he was caught, he didn’t know what to do, so after lying to Kristy for a few hours, he gave up and confessed, he was texting Nicole. He told Kristy he was texting her as a friend and nothing more, because basically, that’s what it was at that point in time. Kristy took it as Russell was cheating on her. She didn’t understand what she had done to push Russell away, and what Nicole was doing to be there for her best friend. Kristy and Russell fought for the longest time, broke up, got back together, again and again. Then finally, Kristy forgave him.
A little aggravated, Russell texted Nicole to see what happened, to see who she told, he was confused and a little hurt to know that something had happened. He finally got a hold of her and tried to figure out what happened. She repeatedly apologized and said she accidently slipped up and someone went off and told Kristy. He was crushed, he didn’t know what to do, and he honestly felt betrayed. He didn’t know who to go with; stupidly, he chose Kristy. He decided to go back to his crappy life, with his abusive girlfriend and left his true love in the dark, all alone. A few months pass, Russell starting to be very unhappy with his relationship again, started to wonder if Nicole missed him. He would think about her all the time, when he passed her in the hallway, he would stare at her, hoping she would stare back, but Nicole was solid, he was afraid she didn’t miss him. He was hurt to know he wasn’t wanted, but he was still unsure. Kristy was hurtful, she didn’t even acknowledge his existence half the time. Russell in a rut, decided to try to talk to Nicole once more. All he knew was happy when he talked to her. He didn’t consider the consequences once again but he just did not care anymore. He just wanted to be happy. Out on a whim Russell texted Nicole after school one day in the spring. She quickly responded and said she missed him too, and eventually everything went back to normal, they got each other back, they became best friends again. Shortly after the two started to talk again, they were caught again. One of Nicole’s “supposed” best friends went through her phone and went off and told Kristy again. This time Russell quickly gave up and told her it was true, he was upset that he had to stop talking to his true love, for the unhappy and abusive relationship once again. Shortly after, Russell realized he made the mistake of leaving Nicole, he could see she missed him, she wanted him back, she felt like there was no other man out there like Russell. She loved Russell and wasn't ready to let him go. So, shortly after they got caught the second time, Nicole texted Russell again, and Russell was very hesitant to respond, but did, he knew he truly loved Nicole, he always wanted Nicole. He didn't exactly know what to do; he texted her back hoping for a better outcome. The two soon fell back in love and realized that they wanted each other. Soon Russell would have thoughts of leaving Kristy for Nicole, he would soon run into a road block, he realized one day, he still loved Kristy. How could a man live, loving two women? It was nothing like he ever experienced, he didn't know who to go with. He would go to school, loving Kristy, walking Kristy to class in the seemingly empty hallways but would always pick out the one girl in the small crowd, Nicole. She was always there just a glimpse of her would remind him that his heart belonged to her too. Is it wrong that Russell was in love with Nicole? A lot of different people, had a lot of different opinions. Some people would say that it was good for Russell because they knew how Kristy treats him, but then the others would say he played Kristy even though everyone knew of the horrible things that Kristy did to Russell. So many people, so many opinions, so many accusations, so many misconceptions. Everyone turned things around on Russell to make him look like a back stabbing asshole. But in all reality, he just finally felt loved. Eventually rumors start to spread about the unsuspecting best friends. Even though the two were talking at the time, people didn't know that. People started to say that the two had hung out, and that they had kissed, but it wasn't true. Kristy caught wind about the rumor of the two and the accusations started flying.
“I know you still talk to her, I know you like her, I know you think she’s cute, I know what the truth is Russell, I know everything just give it up, you’re caught!”
That would be all Russell would hear from Kristy that week. He would promptly deny the wrongful accusations. Eventually Russell got tired of hearing the remarks coming from Kristy and told her that he had been talking to Nicole. He was a man about it, he accepted his wrong and told Kristy everything that has actually has happened. This happened right at the end of Russell's junior year, summer would be just around the corner and shortly he would be a senior, he had a major decision to make. He had to choose, it was either Nicole, or it was Kristy. He sat around his cold, soul-less house, feeling lost. Even when he would go to Casey's house and spend time with his two friends, Liu and Casey. He would sit in a deep depression, not able to talk to either of the girls he loved. He couldn't talk to Nicole because she was tired of the rumors and everyone finding out about the two; she either wanted Russell to be her's and everyone know about it or want nothing to do with him. He couldn’t talk to Kristy because she was too hurt by the rumors and would not even accept the many apologies’ he had offered to her. He was hurt; he didn't know whom to choose. He thought to himself all day every day, “Do I go with the girl I have known for years upon years, being treated miserably, but accepting the fact because it would be to un-normal for me to not to be treated that way. Or do I go in the complete opposite direction and go with the young love, the girl who has treated me like I'm her king, the one who has shown me true compassion and well-being, what do you do Russell? What do you do?!” These thoughts would scatter through his young, teenage head. He had all of summer to think about, he thought about what the summer would be like without Kristy and what it would be like with Nicole. One thing that really turned Russell off about the idea of leaving Kristy would be everything would be completely out of whack. He had been with Kristy through out all of high school, he didn't know what it would be like without her in his life anymore. It was to weird too him, he didn't know what to do anymore. He was so lost.
Eventually Russell made his decision. It was the hardest one he had to make so far in his relationship with Kristy. He decided that he still loved Kristy. But that was the easy part, to tell Kristy that he still loved her and wanted to be with her. Sadly, the story doesn't always have a happy ending for both sides. Russell had to do something he would never thought he would have to do. He thought it was for the best but he didn't realize the mistake he was making. He had to tell Nicole he could never speak to her again...
One day after school, Russell called Nicole. Nicole answering the phone confused, said “Hello?” The two had not talked in weeks and Nicole was worried for what Russell might have to say to her.
“Nicole, we need to talk...” Russell said hesitantly.
“Russell, whats going on? I'm sorry I haven't talked to you in a while, I just needed my time away, to think about what has happened, I’m sorry Russell don’t be upset with me.” Nicole said pleading him not to say anything he might regret.
“I'm sorry Nicole, but I have made up my mind” Russell paused, and choked back his tears, he didn't want to sound like a fool crying over the phone.
“I have chosen to keep dating Kristy. I don't want you to think I’ll never think about you or ever want to talk to you again, I just need some time with her, I feel like she is a better choice for me, I'm sorry Nicole, I hope you can forgive me over time, eventually...” Russell said, as if he felt like he told someone that a close relative has passed, he felt like he just delivered the worst news to an unsuspecting, poor young girl. Russell didn't know it but Nicole was crushed. She had a hard time saying anything to Russell. She managed to spit out a few words before she hung up crying. She said “I.. still love you Russell... why does... this keep happening to us?! I... just want you for myself, what does that b**** Kristy do that I don't!” And quickly hung up the phone before she really gave Russell a tongue lashing.
Russell would sink into his bed. He lay there in disbelief. In his small room, coated with dirty clothes on the floor, a Browns tie blanket hanging over the window, because the summer before he was drawing his blinds and they just snapped. Laying in front of his blank 32 inch Vizio TV with his computer to his left, and his headboard hovering his head like a halo. Staring at his old ceiling fan spinning repeatedly like a bad spell, stuck in his trance he just kept looking into the fan, going into deep thoughts. Not realizing how fast time was passing he looked at his phone, disappointed with no texts, calls, no nothing from Nicole. He then checked the time and he realized he laid there for over two hours, just in thought.
Hoping, praying, and just flat out wanting a response from Nicole, one never came, he thought for sure it would, but it never did. Russell would talk about it to his best friend Casey, Russell could tell Casey anything, ever since Casey came to Burnsville, he was able to tell him anything and everything. They consider each other brothers, but sadly they aren’t. He would tell Casey about how much he really thought he loved Nicole and Casey would always just say, “Follow your heart Russell, that’s all I can really say, I’m sorry buddy, I can’t really go beyond that.” Russell had a hard time with doing that, because he’s only loved one girl, and he was deathly afraid of losing Kristy because she did a lot for him, and she knew she did, so she would use that against Russell. Russell would stay up for nights at a time in the summer thinking about Nicole, just hoping she was thinking about him at that same very moment. Little did Russell know, that she was thinking about him as well. Nicole would do the same thing as Russell, lay in bed, thinking about him as he thought about her. For the first few weeks of summer, that’s all they did, just think about each other. Russell decided to be committed to Kristy, he just wanted to let go of Nicole, but it was much more challenging then he thought possible.
Nicole knew the same feeling, she wanted to get over Russell, she wanted to think they never had a future, but she was taught to never give up, so over time, she just forgot about Russell, she didn’t get over him, just forgot about her feelings, just tried to put them aside, so she could try to find someone else, someone better, someone who wouldn’t leave her every time something had went wrong. The two best friends were lost without each other.
Months past, Russell helped Kristy move into college, Nicole, spent her summer with her friends. Russell went on vacation with Kristy. Nicole tried her best to spend time with her family. And yet, they were both not happy.
No communication between the two for months, but they were both on each other’s minds. A long summer turned into fall, a few more months had passed. Nicole prepared for her sophomore year, Russell prepared for his closing year of high school, the big one, his senior year. Russell being Russell, went in already for it to be over, he wanted to just go back home. He quit football, he quit band, he stopped hanging out with everyone except Casey and Liu. He just gave up on everything, things were getting very bad with Kristy. He just wanted to give up on her too. He was getting to the point where he just didn’t care. He was ready for it all to just be over with. He couldn’t get a job to help pay the bills he needed to pay, he was starting to lose his relationship with his father due to Kristy. He would go home and he would complain about her, and Russell would get upset and wouldn’t talk to him. Also over the summer, Russell picked up a bad habit and his father found out about. Russell just started to give up, he had no motivation. He was unhappy, and he couldn’t remember the last time he had been happy.
The first day of school came around, no one was looking forward to it, and everyone dreads the first day, well, today was the day. New faces, old places, new grade and one missing, new teachers, old teachers, new environment, same old people and same old Russell. Russell walks to his new locker, throws all of his notebooks and folders in, takes a glance at his schedule and drags his feet to his first class. Everything seemed to go well until after 3rd period. He saw Nicole, they passed each other in the hallway, they looked into each other’s eyes, and they both instantly knew, they still cared.
Russell’s senior year and Nicole’s sophomore year would keep moving forward. Every day, they would walk into school, like clockwork. It seemed everything was in a repetitive motion. Russell would come to school, dread it, go home, sit at home and play some Xbox with his buddies like he would every day, go to Casey’s house till 10 o’clock, come home, and go to bed.
Nicole on the other hand, went to school, came home, went to volleyball practice, Return home, eat with her family, talk to her friends and just do whatever she needed to do. Everything would repeat even when basketball came around, not for Russell, Russell decided to play basketball for one more year.
Russell has played basketball since his 7th grade year and he decided to not just give up then, so he went to practice, stopped his bad habit for as long as he could. He started to straighten out. Then he failed his drug test for nicotine, and was suspended. A lot of people were surprised and upset with Russell, especially himself, and his father. The next five games would go by very slowly and he couldn’t wait to get back into action.
Finally he was unsuspended, and he was ready to play. He finally got to play a few games, he was ready to get a little more playing time, and he was working hard in practice and he knew this game would be the game, Cory Rawson was coming to town and Nicole was coming to watch.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.