Quiet the Trees | Teen Ink

Quiet the Trees

By Apollo77 PLATINUM, Brunswick, Ohio
Apollo77 PLATINUM, Brunswick, Ohio

"All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.”
"Madame, all stories, if continued far enough, end in death, and he is no true-story teller who would keep that from you."
-Ernest Hemingway

I used to be that girl. That girl that everyone talked about but not on purpose. The one who everyone knew but no one really talked to. The smart one who everyone thought was dumb. Was there ever really a girl like that? I suppose there wasn't, but if there were it would have been me. It was me.

Maybe it is wishful thinking to say that people noticed me, but I swear they did. It was like I sat in the back of the room, but everyone knew I was there. That was how I saw it. And still no one talked to me or made the attempt to. They noticed me, but didn't care that I was there.

I was an outcast purely because I wasn't in the crowd. I sat slightly to the side and all of a sudden I was 'other'. The sad part is that I had no excuse to stand to the side and let everyone else take the spotlight. I had led a sheltered life when it all started, which I suppose was around the time that I met Stephanie. She was my first encounter with the real world.

We met the first week of my sophomore year. When she was beautiful, her hair was long and fair and her eyes were happy, I remember that about her, but she was only my friend after.

It was a sad thing, I hear. Stephanie was the daughter of a rich man. Nobody knew what he did, but they knew he was rich. In reality they only knew that Stephanie had a pool in her basement, however in the suburbs this was the definition of rich.

In grade school she was popular, and just that was enough for me to ignore her. I ignored many people, which may have been why I didn't know until much later. Stephanie's dad died in the summer of eighth grade. It was a plane crash when he was flying to Hawaii to meet his mistress. Of coarse as kids no one knew he was taking his mistress on vacation, everyone thought he was going to come home after a business trip. Stephanie told me later the real story. I suppose that was the only reason I ever trusted her, but that isn't the point.

That wasn't the sad part either. She had never really loved her father like she did her mom. Her mom was crushed after what happened, and even more crushed by the news of the hooker in Hawaii. No one at school knew what had happened to Stephanie between eighth grade and high school, but she had changed quite a bit. Her normally rosy and proper face turned red and tired. She dropped her grades and saw her friends less often.

I was too busy with my own troubles, but apparently it was a pretty big bit of gossip. Stephanie never told me, but I could guess pretty confidently when I saw how she acted at home that her mother had dropped out when her father died. That much was obvious. But it wasn't just like loosing both of her parents with one accident. It was like being sent away to an evil stepmother too. Her mom was a new person, bitter with hate and anger. I couldn't help but feel bad for Stephanie, but at the same time she did it partly to herself.

As soon as things went down hill for her at home she dropped her life at school as well. Starting freshman year her grades slowly descended and her social image plummeted. She was isolating herself. And by the end of freshman year everyone had decided to accept that their one time popular idol was now certifiably insane.

I know she wasn't really insane, just damaged, but she dealt with the pains in her life by acting out against herself instead of others. I don't think her peers understood this, or else they wouldn't have thought she was crazy, maybe a bit weird though. She stopped using makeup first. And then it progressed to wearing ugly clothes. The worst she ever did was cut her pretty flowing hair up to her chin, but the effect was as desired: complete self-destruction. She was an outcast, and I suspect that that was what she wanted.

We met in study hall. I hated study hall and she hated everything, so I suppose we both were forced together as we desperately shied away from the other more extroverted peers in our class. By the end of the first week of school we were sitting pushed up against each other in the farthest corner of the little class. By the end of the second week we actually exchanged a few sentences every now and again.

I never would have said that Stephanie and I were very good friends; she was too damaged to ever really have a good friend. But I think we could have been if she would have been in a better place. She was getting better too.

Every now and then she would say something so sensitive that I thought she was going to try and hug me. I had social issues too, so I was terrified that this was the case, but I would have let her embrace me if it would help to dig her out of that trench. More so I wanted to be the one to help her out of it. I always had the habit to want to play the hero, and she really seemed to get better when we were friends. At first we would just meet at the mall or the park to just talk. Then we would meet at the library sometimes too and I would help her with her schoolwork.

I didn't realize then how revolutionary it was for the both of us to engage in our friendship. I was shy. More shy than I should have been. This was definitely the reason that people noticed me but never talked to me; because they had no expectation that I would talk back anymore. It did hurt, quite a lot really, to be left in the back when I knew that I could thrive in the front with the crowd, but I was petrified of people. I had a deep and stinging fear of making a fool of myself, and thus I isolated myself so not to make any impression.

Keep in mind that this was only the case with people that I knew. Strangers were fair game to me. They were an untapped resource for acquaintances that I always put all of my strength into looting. I never did a very good job unless the expectations were set very low, which I suppose is how Stephanie and I hit it off.

She wasn't looking for an acquaintance, and if she was she could have gotten any target that she put in her sight. Maybe the whole scandal in the summer of eighth grade put a handicap on her mental capacities, but it didn't put anything on her charm. Stephanie was like a flower glued to the wall: she was beautiful and blooming, but not quite as magical as it was when it was free. She isolated herself, as I said, and she was never interested in becoming the popular girl she could have been after what happened.

I think that everyone needs someone though, and that is why she opened up at least as much as she did to me. Sure I could have taken it badly that I was the one she turned to when she wanted the bare minimum of friends, but I was just grateful to have a friend at all. And I liked Stephanie. It may have seemed like she completely collapsed after the accident, but I realized that I had never known anyone so strong as her. She would never let herself completely disappear; believe it or not she was always fighting back.

Once, we went to the park because both Stephanie and I loved to ride bikes. The paths can get pretty rough, especially when they turn into the woods and the ground is plagued with roots and stones. She was behind me and the whole while it was quiet but not awkward; we were both comfortable with silence then. The trees were just sprouting their leaves and there was only the smallest trace of crisp winter air. I took in all of the sights around me all at once because springtime is such a sensory overload. The brook running parallel to the path, the birds flipping through trees, the kids in the field behind us. And the sound of scraping tires. I stopped suddenly and looked behind me just in time to watch as I was trampled by the blue blur that was Stephanie watching the trees as I had been.

"Ah!" it was a comical scene, straight from a cartoon. And as soon as we untangled our bikes and I was satisfied that there were no broken bones there started the most remarkable sound. It was laughter, from the both of us. Stephanie lit up when she laughed, I remember that even now. Her eyes would grow twice their size and her face would turn beautiful like it had been in grade school.

Even so there were times when I could see it in her face that she was falling again. The passiveness came back to her eyes and there was nothing left of the bright and beautiful girl who laughed with me in the park. This is why we never could have been good friends. Because as soon as the fun Stephanie left she was replaced by a dark twin who ruined every scrap of the true Stephanie's happiness. I wasn't a strong enough person to be able to deal with that. But Stephanie was strong. She could definitely have dealt with me.

Like I said, I had led a sheltered life until I met Stephanie, but I was still damaged. Maybe I hadn't been so weather beaten and tired as she was, but I had my own problems. Social problems. I was a bad kid, not in the acting out type of way, but in the way that I never acted like a kid like everyone else did. I saw the immature habits of my peers from elementary age and I hated them for being so juvenile, but also, more than anything, I envied them. I wanted to take part in their care free games and repetitive jokes, but I didn't know how.

My social skills back then were pitiful and as I grew they only became worse. My peers never could understand why I didn't talk to them or play with them unless they actively insisted that I play with them, and truth be told I never understood either. There was never anything wrong with me. I was just shy, so shy that I was nervous just by sitting down where I wasn't absolutely sure I was welcome. And as I got older I became more comfortable in being shy and living inside myself that I turned hopeless.

Just because I was hopeless didn't mean that I was a shell, though. I could see the other kids around me and I knew that they didn't care if I played with them or not. I could feel the eyes on the back of my head as I sat alone at the lunch table day after day and year after year. I resented them for making me the cast out, for not trying harder to break my shell. And because I resented them I didn't very much want to play with them anyway.

I spent a great deal of my childhood in the bathroom stall. I remember every scrape on the door and the exact tapioca shade of maroon that covered the walls. Recess was my least favorite part of the day because I knew that I would have to wander outside alone while the monitors watched me. Then they would report me to the teachers and the teachers would call my parents and my parents would take me to the doctor and I would have to color in a book for an hour while the doctor tried to pull some revelation out of a ten year old on why she didn't play with the other kids. No, I much preferred the bathroom.

When I entered high school I felt like a new person, or at least the same person with the opportunity to be someone new. First of all, there was no recess in high school. Therefore, in high school, I didn't have to play by myself. And in the new and huge school there were so many new people that I didn't know and who didn't know me. Therefore they wouldn't know how I would come across rude if they tried to be friendly to me. All of those new people and classes and colors and smells, high school on my first day of ninth grade seemed like both my personal heaven and the opposite. Because with all of those opportunities to make friends I was conflicted. I didn't know that I really wanted friends.

I had spent the all of my life on my own. I had shaped myself in my head. And if someone were to come in and try to pull me out they wouldn't see something just like themselves, they would see me, with no outside influence other than the torture that I had been put through always sitting by myself. The thing was, I liked myself. I had an exceptional amount of time to think when I was never talking, and I decided that I thought a great deal more interesting things then everyone else. Everything that came out of the mouths of my classmates in high school was exactly what I intellectual had hoped to leave behind in middle school: meaningless. I hated drama and I hated gossip and I hated teenager issues because I knew better than any one else that it didn't matter. There were all of my potential friends in the halls feeling sorry for themselves, but they had no idea what it meant to have it hard. Except maybe for Stephanie.

I did want friends, really. I just wanted the right friends though, the ones who didn't care about gossip and drama and teenager issues. The problem was that unless they grew up in a shell like me, they weren't going to be just like me or think the way I thought. In a way, I had settled for Stephanie too. And while I was grateful that she had given me a chance and had tried just hard enough that I let her in, she was not the ideal friend for me. She was very broken, and so was I. Not in the same way as her, but just as injuring to our friendship.

I had trust issues after a long time of being denied and scolded and misunderstood. In general I knew that I would never be one of my peers, but it still hurt that they never looked at me and thought that I was worth trying to break into. I never realized how it had affected me until the opportunity to meet new people came about and I was terrified that I was intruding upon a life that was perfectly happy without me. That was my main problem: that I didn't want to intrude if I wasn't accepted. I never wanted to intrude at all; I had no confidence or courage.

I also had the distinct impression that something as wrong with me. For the longest time I was told that I needed to be more out going and to speak louder, and I always tried, but I just wasn't able to. It took me a long time to just accept that I was soft spoken in a world where the great majority speak too loud. There was nothing truly wrong with me.

Unless you count in the self-degradation and absence of confidence, I could have been the regular type of shy girl with a little tight knit group of friends.

Stephanie and I were alike in that way: we both had the utter lack of interest in and kindness toward ourselves. This might also be why we never were good for each other like anyone else would have been. Because I could never truly persuade her to stop ruining herself when I was a social leper and probably helped along her cause. And she could never teach me to be friendly when she had spent the last years of her life devoted to isolationism. Together we made quite a lonely team.

The boy had style, I gave him that. And the moment he opened his mouth I was sure I had fallen in love.

He spoke like a gentleman, but not in the way that made me want to hit him, like most boys did. Sweet and charming without any conscience idea that he was tearing at the heart of every girl in the room. But he wasn't really that sweet was he? I suppose that overall he was a little conceited, but the first impression would not have told me that. He was lovely really. Blond hair curled at his temple and around the collar of his shirt and he had eyes that took up half of his face. It worked for him though, in that funny-looking handsome type of way. No, not lovely, but beautiful; the more I looked at him the more I realized that he was the most beautiful man I had ever seen. And he was wearing a blue shirt that fit him exactly; I had always admired superior tailoring.

For most of the night I stood on the other end of the room, trying not to make it obvious that I was watching his every move. He noticed me too, which was strange because no boy had ever really noticed me up until that point. And also I was not the best dressed in the room. I wore a plain blue dress and no make-up; Stephanie looked beautiful in a red gown, despite the fact that she wasn't even trying to. And her hair had grown out a lot by then; it waved past her shoulders in the way that looked like she had spent hours getting it to fall right. I paled in comparison, as always. But I looked up more than once to see his eyes on me.

The entire party went by in a flash, not that I was upset by that. I hated parties and this one was exceptionally awful. The lights were colorful and the music was of very poor taste, too many synthesizers and not enough guitar. Stephanie was clinging to a punch bowl, shooting death glances at me across the room. I didn't really know why I wouldn't stand by her, but I made sure that she was on the exact opposite side of the room than I was. I suppose it was because she was quite a downer, especially for having dragged me there in the first place. And she so clearly out shined me in looks that it did cause me a great deal of satisfaction to see that the boy in the blue shirt still looked toward me through the corner of his eye when I moved away from Stephanie.

Stephanie hated parties as well, which is why I thought it so strange that she had asked me to her friend's house one Friday night. Begged was more like it, really. She had come up to me after class and demanded that I go with her. I didn't have the interest or the energy to try and figure out why we were going to some strange boy's birthday party, so I didn't insist on too many details. She looked relieved when I didn't ask, so I decided it was better just to let it be. I didn't want to go; not at all. I hated parties. I hated the idea of standing there awkwardly while bright lights and music pounded down on me, strangers looking at me with odd expressions. This was not unreasonable as the party that we arrived at, decked in dresses for the occasion, was exactly this. And sure enough Stephanie dropped into a deep silence as soon as we entered the door, staring longingly at the birthday boy(a certain Matthew who was in my English class).

I was shocked when I realized that Stephanie had a crush. I will confess that I had thought her beyond that type of typical teenage behavior. I probably would have found a way to explain her strange behavior that didn't involve something so normal if she hadn't of done the last thing I had expected her to do. About an hour into the night, right around the time the dance music faded to plain old pop, she leaned over to whisper to me. It took a few tries for me to hear her, as the music was really absurdly loud.

"Will you go talk to Matt?" I almost dropped my glass of bright red fruit juice. It was too red really, I had been hesitant in sipping it because it looked so much like blood, but it was actually delicious; strawberry, I thought.

"Me?" She looked so embarrassed. I looked back mercilessly incredulous. Me? She wanted me to be her wing man?

"Just-Just forget it," now I took pity on her, her face was redder than the punch. It must have been serious if she was enlisting me to charge any type of social mission. I told her I would if she really thought it was a good idea, but she just walked away and stood with a death grip on the snack table. I soon lost interest, as this was the point at which the boy with the nice fitting blue shirt entered.

He did not go to my school, I was sure of that, and also rather glad of it. And about halfway through the night when he started to walk towards me, I realized that I was not afraid of him like I was of every other guest at the party. I was excited as he drew nearer.

Oh! He was coming to talk to me!

Okay, maybe I was a little afraid.

Really close now...

Oh no, he was going to talk to me- what did I say?

He was stopping in front of me now. He was talking. What was he saying? Stupid loud music.

I looked at him with an awed expression. "What?" I shouted up. He was rather tall, tall enough that he tilted his head down to talk to me as close as he was standing.

"I said that you are the most beautiful girl I have ever seen." What? I didn't comprehend the words as he said them, but my heart gave a lurch that told me they were smooth. Shoot.

"um..." My mind was blank, I was staring at him, but he didn't look uncomfortable. He had the most beautiful eyes; big and blue. As deep as the sea, brighter than the sky. Starring right at mine.

"Did you know that your eyes are blue," How did he know that I was thinking just the same thing.

"ah...yah-I mean, of coarse. So are yours," I sounded stupid, so tongue-tied and nervous. Who was he to make me nervous? And what type of person walks up to a girl and tells her she's beautiful when he doesn't even know her? A very, very confident man. At that point I knew I was a goner, though I would never come to terms with it for a long while.

"I'm Sam." He held out a hand. I stared at it.

"Chloe, um" he had taken my hand, his eyes still looking into mine, I could feel them as they penetrated my soul.

"Chloe," he said my name like it was an exceptionally brittle flower, and like speaking too loud would make it collapse into none existence. That was strange; how could he be so overbearing and so gentle at the same time? I was disoriented by how quickly my night had changed, just a moment before I was looking at a stranger across the room. Now I was very close to him and even closer to having my legs give out under me in terror of the boy. And I was thinking too much, because all of this really happened inside of a few seconds, but in my mind I had spent an hour analyzing. He was still looking into my eyes. It made me uncomfortable so I looked away.

"How do you like the party, Chloe."

"I don't." He didn't seem surprised. He seemed a little amused actually. "and I was going to leave very soon." I didn't know why I said it. It wasn't true.

"Well, good I came to talk to you earlier than." He didn't seem to find the situation awkward at all. I did. I wanted to talk to the boy, but I was melting of embarrassment. The conversation was so strange that I would not have been surprised had a rabbit come in and started singing with the birthday boy's awful band that had just started to play. Actually, the band would have been better if a rabbit joined, it couldn't be worse than Matthew singing. I looked over to find Stephanie right in front of the band, just standing with the same blank expression on her face.

Okay, enough was enough. "Are you just going to stare at me? Because I feel very awkward and I think I'm going to go find my friend."

"I was going to keep staring at you actually," he ran a hand through his fair hair and it tumbled lightly about his head. The lights shone on it in the most interesting way, so that it looked almost white against his tanned forehead, "because it doesn't seem like there is anything to say." That was honest. I just stared, because it was so true. There was nothing to say.

I stood there for about a minute before I started to slowly back away. Then I started to walk briskly through the crowd until I reached Stephanie.

"We're leaving." She looked disappointed. I would have thought she'd be relieved by the way she'd been acting the whole party.

"Just...wait a second." Then she walked away from me and right up to Matt. He was still singing, an intent look on his face and his eyes closed as he bent over the microphone in what I suppose must have been passion. She snatched the mic out from under him and he tumbled onto his knees. The band stopped.

"What the-" he opened his eyes and saw Stephanie with her hands on her hips. "Oh, you made it Steph. I didn't see you here-"

"No, really?" her voice was icily sarcastic. I couldn't see her face, but from the cowardly expression on her poor victim's it must have been the face of death. "Because I've been here since six."

He was backing away on his knees, she was standing over him so that he couldn't get up. "Oh, um, sorr-"

"Sorry? Why should you be sorry, it's your party." She sounded hysterical and the whole party was watching them as her voice rose. She grabbed his arm. "Why don't you stand up Matt, you shouldn't crawl on the floor, it's dirty." She yanked him up right and he staggered into her, still looking as terrified as if she were waving a butcher's knife at him.

"I-I-I-"

"You-you-you. Do you even know what you did wrong?"

"No!" he looked relieved, like she had thrown him a life saver. That didn't last long. She gripped the back of his neck and kissed him with obviously incredible force. He looked as if she had shot him, his eyes wide and his arms flailing out behind him in an almost comical way. After a while they both seemed to get into it and it became quite disgusting to watch, yet there was still a crowd circled around them, hooting and whistling and shouting "oh Matt, she got you man!". I looked away to give Stephanie at least a little privacy, but soon regretted it. Because I had locked eyes with the boy in the blue shirt-Sam-staring at me from the opposite end of the circle. I looked down quickly. After about another minute Stephanie pushed him off, her face red and his redder.

"You're band is awful," she said before turned to half run, half walk out the door, catching my arm and dragging me behind her by the elbow.

We had been dropped off at the party by my mom, as neither of us had our own car. However, neither of us brought our cell phones either, so we were stuck walking back. Stephanie's house was closer, so we walked down the main road toward her neighborhood in silence.

After a while I decided that something must be said. "I'm sorry for making us leave." I didn't really know what else to say. I didn't really know what type of Stephanie I was dealing with.

I had been in this situation before. After she had dragged me to homecoming just so that we could stand in a corner and not socialize in much the same way we had at Matt's party. I hadn't thought the night went so awful until we left to wait outside for her mom's Buick to turn the corner and pick us up. She had turned into the nasty Stephanie that I hated to be around, I could only guess at what was going on in her mind. I had thought that the fact she had wanted to go to homecoming was such an improvement for her that I hadn't really thrown as big a fit as I had wanted to, and at the dance she behaved exactly as I had thought she would. But then she shrank into herself and turned nasty. I suppose she thought that all of the hard work she had put into making herself an outcast was slowly disappearing. The next day when she showed up at school, she had cut her hair back up to her chin, even after how long it had grown in the last year. It's effect was not as immediate as she had hoped, I guess, because for the next month or so she had maintained a ruthlessly cruel attitude toward everything. I hadn't let her drag me to another homecoming after that, but when she wanted to go to a party- a true party to which she was invited and excited about- I had thought she would actually socialize. Maybe it was not good of me to think that, but I was at least a little right. She had socialized with Matt...

I looked at the ground waiting for her reaction. She either was totally reserved, very angry as she had been after Homecoming, or anything that might surprise me; I could never tell with her.

"Steph..." she looked up at me and I gasped. "Oh, Steph-" her face was soaked with tears and her nose was bleeding. While I was confused as to how she had managed to get a nose bleed, I pulled her arm to stop her walking ahead of me. She looked at me and then looked away.

"Let go of me Chloe." She sounded so old; much too old for a girl in high school. I was moved by pity for my friend who had been through so much when so young.

"Steph-"

"What is wrong with me?" she was still looking away, but the sincerity of her question broke my heart. I didn't know if she wanted me to answer or not, so I just grabbed her arm gently and led her on. I didn't know what to do but to keep walking. She turned her head and looked at me, her face so sad that I was the one to look away.

"I met a boy." I said it totally to distract her, not because I actually wanted to talk about it. "at the party." I glanced at her cautiously. She looked stable. "His name was Sam."

"Was he cute?" I stopped walking, then realizing it, I carried on. Stephanie had never been so direct, but I suppose that night was an exception. She was staring at the side walk.

"Yah, I guess he was. Kind of a jerk though." I don't know why I said it, but when it came out I realized how true it was.

"They all are." We went the rest of the way to her house in silence, neither of us looking up from the side walk until we reached her street. I stayed for a while to use the phone, and when my mom came to pick me up I looked one last time at Stephanie's pitiful face and prayed that I would never have to see her so ruined again.

Stephanie and I were never very close friends. I never knew what to do when she became so difficult like that besides take her home and distract her. Sometimes I think that she wanted us to be like sisters, as we probably could have been. I think we would have been good sisters. Maybe we were exceptional friends, really. I don't know what my standard of very close would be, but Stephanie and I were probably along the border at that point.

I rode home in the back seat because I didn't want to talk to my mom. I had too much to think about without having to recount the night for her. But I didn't want to think about Stephanie either. Or the party. Or Sam. I found it impossible to sit with a blank mind however. In the end I decided that Sam was the best option of the thoughts plaguing my brain, so I settled on him. The way his eyes penetrated me. The way his hair curled at the back of his neck in a way that made me think if I just reached over to smooth it down...

I woke up in my bed with no recollection of brushing my teeth, the metallic taste in my mouth confirming my suspicions.

PrincessClaire BRONZE, Fayetteville, North Carolina

don't do me do your hair

I disagree with the "it's rambling" thing, though it could do with being a little more organized. I actually thought it was really really good and rated it 5 stars. You're a good writer! Please check out/rate/comment on my stuff! Xo-Claire

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

I agree with readaholic. While what you're writing is understandable, i feel like it's rambling a little tiny too much. The first chapter was a little over-the-top, but I can argue and say that it was for character development. You're great at that

readaholic PLATINUM, Tomahawk, Wisconsin

I'd rather fail because I fell on my own face than fall because someone tripped me up
~Jhonen Vasquez

Your writing is very good, but the whole piece is just kind of flat.  It starts to build a story when you talk about how you and Stephanie became friends, but then it's just describing how you're a social outcast (sorry, I mean "you' like the narrator of the story, not really "you" :)).  So...I guess I'm just trying to say that there's not a lot of plot or build, but if you wrote more chapters it would pick up.  I also find it odd how you begin to talk about Stephanie, then you and Stephanie, and then we're just back to you, like Stephanie didn't make any difference.  I don't know, maybe I'm just babbling...But your writing style, fluency, and word choice is really good, the characters are nice, and it really is well written

holly1999 GOLD said...
holly1999 GOLD, Middlesbrough, Other

'There was no need to clarify my finger snap, the implication was clear in the snap itself' - Magnus Bane

Great story.  It was well written and really fluent to read too. The charcters were well developed and easy to relate to. I really liked it