My life as the green stuff on the walls | Teen Ink

My life as the green stuff on the walls

By Popocorno, delaware city, Delaware
Popocorno, Delaware City, Delaware

Author's note: WELL I HAVE ALWAYES THOUGHT ABOUT WHAT SOME TEANS LIKE ME HAVE TO GO THROUGH AND THOUGHT ABOUT WHAT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN LIKE

Mom, Taking a walk-I, Ivy wrote neatly on a sheet of paper. Her mother was asleep as always and Ivy needed to get out of the house. There was no reason to stay inside the cold, empty house any longer. As she stepped outside she knew eyes were watching her. But she didn't care-she knew it was just the lonely, old cat wanting more food from her, even though she had fed it the night before.
" Hey, Troll," she called to the black and brown cat. She had found him years before when she was 11. She couldn't keep him for herself because her mother would never allow it. Her mom, Iris, could barely afford to take care of Ivy and herself, let alone another living thing. Her mother had been through a bad divorce right after she got pregnant with Ivy. She had fallen into a hole of depression and never crawled back out. This was the only way Ivy had ever seen her mother. No smiles. No hugs.

Ivy walked around her familiar neighborhood many times before but this time was different. It was quieter than usual. Ivy walked around and around waiting to see the usual jogger or woman with her dog but all was silent. She decided that she would walk around later. When she got home she was surprised to see her mother up, seeing as it was just after 5 a.m..
" Hey, what you doing up." Ivy said completely confused.
" What? Am I not allowed to be awake now a days?"
" No it's just I thought you would be asleep since you don't work today."
" Well I'm up so you have to deal with me today. I am truly sorry for your loss," Iris said angrily.
" Okay. I didn't mean to offend you if I did." Ivy said trying to avoid yet another fight. She and her mother had always fought over this and that. That only made their already rocky relationship worse.
" Whatever, I'm going out. I’ll be back in a few days. There's some money in the coffee tin on the fridge. Don't spend all of it."
" A few days! What are you going to be doing."
" That's none of your business, now is it?"
Now Ivy didn't care if she started a fight or not. "Why do you do this? Why do you leave me here all alone. I'm only 14 and you have to realize that!"
" Now watch what you say to me, you hear? I take care of you as good as any other parent! You need to realize that!" As she said that she grabbed her already packed bag and left, slamming the door behind her. Ivy checked the coffee tin her mother had talked about.
" Thirty dollars! Of course!" Ivy said throwing the coffee tin down to the ground and running up the stairs. She couldn't handle it anymore. Iris was not going to tell Ivy that she was a good mother when she knows that she's not.
" Just calm down Ivy. You can just go and get a job with Tiffany. She will help you. Just go tommorow and talk to her," Ivy said out loud to her reflection in the old, cracked mirror.
Tiffany was her mothers sister. They absolutely hated each other, but Tiffany loved Ivy. She was the one who stepped in and took care of Ivy when she was younger. Ivy still remembered the lullaby she used to sing.

The next day she walked to the coffee shop that she spent so much of her time at. She looked around for the tall, thin woman who was her aunt.
“ Hey ,Aunt Tiff.” Ivy said with a smile.
“ Hey little princess. How are you doin’?”
“ I’m doing alright. I have a favor to ask.”
“ Shoot.”
“ Okay, well me and mom had a fight yesterday and she said she was going away for a few days. She only left me about thirty dollars. I need a little more money. So I was wondering if I could work here for a few days?”
“ Of course, leave it up to your mother to leave a 14 year old girl alone." Tiffany murmuered to herself. "Yeah, of course. You can start today if you want to.”
“ Thank you so much Aunt Tiff. I really appreciate this.” Ivy said relieved.

After she cleaned off a few tables and poured what felt like a thousand cups of coffee, she collected her money. A quick walk took her to the nearest market where she got the fruit, vegetables, and bare essentials she didn’t have a home. Her mother usually got the cheapest food she could find.

When she got home she put away the groceries and devoured two apples. Ivy couldn‘t remember the last time she had an apple. She had begged her mother to buy some produce and she only relented after countless fights.

“ Oh, I missed that.” She said as she hurried off to the kitchen to fetch another.

It had been two days since the fight and Ivy was starting to wonder about her mother.
“ Where could she be?” she asked her aunt one day as the store was closing.
“Who knows? I mean your mother has been all over. For all we know she could still be in town or she could be 1000 miles away.”
“ I don’t even want to think about it. I mean even though mom and I aren’t close, she is my mom. I feel like I should be worried.”

As Ivy left the shop she was still wondering about her mother when she bumped into someone and they both fell.
“ Oh my gosh I’m sorry. I wasn’t even paying attention.” She said to the tall guy in front of her.
“ It’s okay I guess. I mean I think next time you should watch where you’re going. But there is a way you can make it up to me.”
“ Excuse me? And how would that be?”
“ Well I think it would be nice if you would go out with me sometime.”
“ Umm I don’t think so. I don’t think that being a jerk to me is gonna make me wanna go out with you.”
“ Well, that's too bad. It’s your loss.”
“ Sure whatever, bye.”

It had been almost 2 weeks since the last time Ivy saw her mother. She was starting to worry even more but she decided that there wasn't much she could do about it so she went to the coffee shop. She needed to get extra money because school was starting soon and she needed to get more clothes and her school stuff.

" Hey Aunt Tiffany. You know school starts soon and I was gonna go shopping and I was wondering if you would like to come with me? I mean I need help picking out some stuff."
" Sure. Just let me close the shop and we can go right now."

Ivy was sitting alone at her house doing some homework when there was a knock on her door. There sitting on her door step was a package. When she picked it up to look who it was from it didn't say. Ivy decided that not opening it would be the best for right now. She decided to call Tyler and see if he wanted to go to the movies.
" Hey it's Ivy."
" Oh hey what's up?"
" So I'm bored and wanted to know if you wanted to go to a movie?"
" Oh yeah sure meet you there in about 20 minutes."
" Great, sure."

Once at the movies, Ivy decided she wanted to see the latest action movie. Once Tyler got there she told him that she wanted to see an action movie.
" Sure, that would be fun," Tyler said.
" Alright."

After the movie they decided to walk around the mall.
" Oh hey Tyler," a blonde girl with a really short skirt on said."Hey Monica."
" So what are you doing. And who's this," Monica said looking at Ivy in disgust.
" I'm I..."
" This is my girlfriend, Ivy," Tyler said putting his arm around Ivy's waist.
" Oh your girlfriend? Well you two look cute together, I guess. So where did you guys meet."
" Oh well we met in school. Yeah I decided he looked nice so I sat down next to him. Yeah we just realized that we were perfect for each other," Ivy said understanding Monica was not Tyler's favorite person.
" Yes well I need to go but it was nice seeing you again Tyler."
" Yeah same to you Monica."

" Thank you so much. You are such a nice person," Tyler said once Monica was out of sight.
" No problem. Umm Tyler, you can let go of my waist now."
" Oh sorry," Tyler said letting go off her waist.

By now Ivy had gotten used to not having her mother around and doesn't think about her anymore. As she was walking to school she saw the boy she bumped into a few years ago.
" Hey do you remember me?" The boy said.
" Yeah Mr. Jerkface. Of course I do."
" Ha yeah like I was the jerk."
" Yes you were now I have to go. I'm going to school."
" Okay see ya doll face."
" Don't call me that"

It was Christmas vacation and Ivy was sitting at home when there was a knock on the door.
" Oh hey Tyler what's up."
" Hey I just wanted to see if you wanted to go out to a movie or something?"
" Oh okay sure."

" So how did you like the movie?" Tyler said as they were walking in the park.
" Yeah it was funny. I had fun," she said. Just then she stepped on a icy spot and slipped but Tyler caught her and there heads were two inches apart. Then he leaned in and kissed her. Ivy loved it, she had sparks happen.

When she got home she danced around her house and went upstairs and sitting on the bed was Iris.
" Hi Ivy how have you been?"
" Just fine since you have left. How long has it been, two years now?"
" It has? Well it seems only like a few days"
" Oh is that what you meant when you said you would be gone only a few days?"
" Listen Ivy, you need to le go of grudges."
" Let go of grudges? How can you say that when I had to go get a job when I was only 14. I had to do all the grocery shopping and Aunt Tiffany had to help me with multiple things that you weren't here for. And you tell me that letting go of grudges is gonna make me forgive you?"
" I never said that I wanted you to forgive me I just thought that this whole relationship would be a whole lot easier if you did."
" What relationship? You are always asleep and so I never get to see you, Mom, Dads gone, you have to realize that he's not coming back to say he's sorry and he obviously didn't love."
With tears in her eyes, Iris laid down and was drowned in her own tears. Ivy slowly left the room, afraid of what her mother might do after hearing that nasty, but very true conclusion. Ivy had never met her father because of the divorce, but she had heard many disgusting things about him from her Aunt. She decided that even though she had never met him and she wondered about him all the time, she didn't want to meet him ever. She realized that she should probably leave her mom alone. So she left the house and went to her Aunt's shop.
" Hey Aunt Tiffany."
" Hey sweetie, how you doing."
" Not good at all. Mom just got home and she said that I should try and forgive her so our relationship would be better. But we don't have a relationship anymore."
"Whoa wait, your mothers home? Well I need to go and talk to her, now."

"What the hell do you think you were doing."
"I was going on a well deserved vacation."
"Vacation? For two years? That is the most ridicules thing I have ever heard."
"It wasn't two years."
"Yes, two years. And your little fourteen year old had to come and ask for a job at my shop just so she had enough money to buy some food."
"Well you obviously love her more than I do. So you go ahead and take her away from me."
"Fine I will. Go pack your things, Ivy."
"Okay, Aunt Tiffany."
"There are you happy now?"