Finding Happiness | Teen Ink

Finding Happiness

September 21, 2012
By CrystalsSecrets, Pembroke Pines, Florida
More by this author
CrystalsSecrets, Pembroke Pines, Florida
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is like a song. Instrument, chords, and a voice make it great."


Prologue

After a wonderful vacation with the best guy in the world, I feel like I came back to hell. Home sweet home is not what I would call home. It is sometimes a nightmare and the vacation made me think that was what I lived every day. When I left Josh at the resort, I felt a peg in my stomach. The closer we got to home, the more my parents fought and gave me a headache. My brothers were not there. Our age differences made it that they were already starting their lives. My oldest one was already married with a baby on the way and the other brother was getting married in the fall. I was happy for them, but it made me think what would happen to me. I am only a junior, with no idea what would happen in the future. Where would my life go?

We went to a fancy resort for the vacation this summer. My parents were pretending to act like everything was normal, as if they were not fighting in the middle in the night where my room was right next door. I guess they felt bad about how I have grown quieter and seem sadder. They were even more worried when we came back and I was miserable. Josh was the first guy to honestly ever get my attention. I hated when we left. I have his phone number and email, but it is still not the same.

However you do not know the story, so let me explain.
Chapter 1

After packing and getting ready, we left for Silver Lakes hotel. My mother was excited for the vacation while my father grumbled while reading on the plane. We live in Miami, Florida and were going to New York for vacation. Even though I am eighteen, I am still looking forward to the trip.

Three hours of awkward silence led to the arrival of the hotel. It was ten at night when we checked in, got our bags, and started to unpack. We are going to be spending a month up here since my father had business. By midnight, my parents crashed and I stayed awake. I waited for a fight to happen but expected that they were exhausted. I felt the need to move around so I got a key and my journal and went into the elevator.

I waited quietly as I went twenty floors down. The elevator was crowded with employees who seem exhausted from their day. They all shouted a thankful cry as the elevator dinged to the first floor. I waited as the employees filled out quickly. When I got my bearings, I saw a whole another word then what I came into. When I first checked in, the lobby was organized and calm. Now, there is confusion and wildness. Preparation for the next day apparently took havoc to go on. I looked around for a quiet place to write. Outside had no activity going on so, I tried the garden.

The last time I was here, I was seven and all my family was here. My favorite place was the butterfly garden. They created my secret sanctuary without me even knowing. I came in here constantly and played here until my brothers came to get me. Now there was no one to get me, but if anything I have my cell phone.

Walking up to the garden was like being at home. I was familiar with the patterns and shapes. It was like this place froze and stayed the way they were supposed to be. Just the way I wanted it to be.

I notice as I walked up, that the light to the little shed was on. I curiously approached the shed as part of my mind nagged me to not do it. This summer, I decided to be rebellious. I always have a schedule and organized if not perfect. That was the one quality my parents liked along with the go getter attitude. Now I just want to be a quiet, free spirit. I approached the shed with caution and some kind of grace. I jumped out of my skin when somebody said, “Little girls should be sleeping. “

Finding a witty comeback, I turned around to find a drunken employee. I tried to remove myself from the situation but the employee grabbed me and pushed me to the shed. I could smell his breath as he said, “You know I just broke it off with my girl. If you want, we could have a little fun.”

Anxiety came over me as I screamed demanding him to get off of me. He did not even buag. I squirmed even more starting to scream when I felt the weight of the drunken employee being lifted. I faced a tall man with dark skin. He threw the employee with ease and asked, “Are you O.K.”

Nodding I saw as he ran back to the hurt employee shouting curse words. He picked him up over his shoulder and took him inside. From there, I was left alone outside wondering what to do next. I slowly walked into to the open door of the shed to find it was quite spacious, reason being because it was turned into a house. There were two rooms, a kitchen, bathroom, and all necessities that were needed. I saw the tall man as he nursed the man that almost rapped me. As I got closer I saw the man was correcting the injuries that he caused. I watched him for several minutes until he closed the first aid kit and turned around. He screamed a deep scream which scared the crap out of me. I fell back with my journal sliding to his feet.

He laughed and put out his hand out to help me.

“I am Jordan. I work in the hotel along with this knuckle head. I am sorry he assaulted you. I hope you will not press charges.”

I thought back to my parents who do not know where I am. I decided to lie and say, “I have been through worse. Anyway, I just wanted to write in the garden but it seems kind of dangerous.”

Jordan laughed saying, “No not really. Nick here just had a little too much to drink and just got out of a nasty break up. He will not be bothering you also will give you an apology when he is conscious. I threw him pretty hard.”

Laughing I stepped closer to him, noticing that he smelled like the earth. He was probably ten years older and living here. I asked him just in case.

“I am twenty six and I do live here, my brother and I anyway. He is about twenty two and he is supposed to be here but I guess he is being rebellious again.”

Nodding I stood there wondering what to do. Inch by inch I tried to get away but I caught his question, “So are you a writer?”

With my journal in my hand and a pen somewhere locked in my curls, I had no chose but to nod yes.

“My minor is English when I go into college. I am majoring in music.”

“So you are a singer,” Jordan asked.

“Yup,” I replied. Maybe I can sing in the hotel while I am here. I heard there was an opening for an evening. Maybe I can use the few bucks for my senior year.”

Jordan nodded putting a cover over Nick. I walked over to the couch and started to open my journal. Jordan walked over to the refrigerator and got out two sodas. He sat down beside me and asked where I am from.

“I was born in New York and moved down to Miami about a year ago.”

“You know you are the first kid that I ever heard say that. When I left the house I was high on air. I did not have enough money for college but I still made enough with this hotel. I get money, a place to live, eat food that they cook, and my brother can live with me too. He however got a full time scholarship at Yale. I have no idea why he is here now. He should have been a professor with the high recommendations he got from his teacher.”

“First,” I started. “I am not a kid and second, your brother got a full time scholarship to Yale? Is he like a genius or prodigy or something?”

“Yeah, he was a prodigy and graduated high school at twelve. We both graduated the same year. I graduated with honors but he was valet Victorian. He has his doctorate right know.”

I looked at him in awe. All I had to say was, “Wow.”

He nodded smiling.

“But you look proud. Maybe your brother wanted to be around you,” I said. “He did not get much of a childhood I could imagine and not that many people will respect you when you are just eighteen. Maybe he wanted to spend his time with family.”

“You got that all from what I said,” Jordan asked.

Nodding, I opened my journal and started writing today’s entry. Jordan turned on the television. It was minutes before he asked, “So you are not going into the garden.”

Opening my mouth the door to the shed opened and I saw a younger version of Jordan only this one was more appealing to me. He was slightly damp from what I am guessing is the pool. He shakes his wet hair and looked at Nick, Jordan, and then me. Giving Jordan a confused look, he went to the refrigerator and got a bottle of water.

“Nick was drunk and almost assaulted. . . “

He did not know my name so I said, “Melody.”

“Melody. I was offering my kindness.”

Is brother nodded and took a sip of water. I felt a little awkward with his presence. The way he stared at me made me finally realize I was in pajama shorts and a tank top. I am probably a random girl who suddenly appears in his house. He probably though I was a prostitute. I was unnerved when he asked me, “Have we met before?”

I looked at him in surprise. If I ever met him before I would have made sure to memorize everything about him. I could not say this so I just said, “No, maybe in the front desk or something.”

He did not look convinced but he let the matter passed. He sat next to me drinking his water and eyeing my journal. I closed it self-consciously and looked at his green eyes. When his mouth move I did not hear a word he said, I literally had to shake my head slightly and said, “Come again?”

“I’m Josh. So what brings you to our lovely and stylish home?”

It would have been rude to giggle so I just smiled and said, “The garden is dangerous now a days with all the drunk employees.”

Josh laughed while Jordan screamed, “It is not!”

Josh suppressed his laugh and said, “Well then, we should get you back to your room. We don’t want anyone to assault you now.”

He got up and offered his hand. I smiled taking the hand and saying bye to Jordan. As we got to every door, Jordan always held it out for me. He made sure that as I walked, there was no obstacle that I had to encounter, although it made him look like an idiot. I was laughing all the way to the elevator and from time to time he would give me a goofy smile. Since my room was on the top floor, we had to wait at least five minutes with all the people coming in and out.

“So you are living on the top floor. Are you the daughter of a Senator or something,” Josh asked.

“Nope, I am the daughter of a selfish and bossy executive of Chanel,” I answered.

“Wow, no wonder you smell so good,” he said inching closer and taking a whiff of me. I had to restrain myself from grabbing him to kiss him. Butterflies were rising in my stomach and I felt like I was going to faint. He pulled away when the elevator stopped. The lights went black and that is when I screamed bloody mary.

I hate the dark. I can handle spiders, snakes, and anything slimy. Once the lights are off, I run and find the nearest light. Arms encircle me which makes me scream more.

“You are fine. At the middle of the night they do repairs on the elevator. It’s going to be a couple of minutes,” he said trying to soothe me.

So let’s recap. I completely embarrassed myself and managed to be clinging on to Josh. . . I’m O.K with that.

We were silent until the lights came back on. I finally saw how my body was curled into his perfectly and how his lips were on my forehead. Suddenly I preferred the dark. My heart was beating a mile a minute as his lips went farther to my cheek and done my neck. My hand went to the back of his head and held on to his dark brown hair. Pulling away, he looked at me with lust in his eyes. I probably looked like the helpless deer, his easy prey. I smiled a sexy and devious smile, crashing our lips together. He stood up while carrying me in his arms and continued to out of the elevator. At that moment when I need air, I realized that we were on the twentieth floor.
The whole floor was basically five bedrooms, the living room, and kitchen, with bathrooms in each bedroom. I already took note that my parents were not in the same room but had neighboring bedrooms. Before we even entered the doorway I could already hear my parents fighting. Josh and I froze for a minute hearing them fight about some other women. I could not handle this. I pulled Josh to the side door where it led to my room. I locked the door that led to where my parents were fighting and I turned back to Josh. He sat on one of the chairs so I sat on the one opposite of him.

“Maybe I should go. . .”

I nodded my head causing him to blush. I did not want him to go but I had no idea what to do with him. I have not had boyfriends before except for that guy Daddy set me up with. I never liked him but put up with our relationship for a year.

“Why don’t we pay the truth game?”

He smiled and said, “Isn’t that a sleepover game that girl play to find out about secrets?”

“Yup. I kind of rushed you into what happened in the. . .” I mumbled, I never mumbled. I always stood my ground when talking but now I was a hot mess.

He nodded his head and began the game.

“Why do you think dangerous walks in gardens,” he asked in a hush voice.

Straight to the hard questions, great. I took a deep breath and said, “My parents usually have those heated battles. There is always interesting places to go to at night. I’ve been here before, so I know my way around.”

My father’s competitive genes came with his color and hair. Anytime people see my father and I together, they are amazed at how similar we look. We have some of the same habits but he thinks mostly business.

Giving a devious smile I continued the game. “So why aren’t you teaching or being some famous scholar.”

He looked confuse until we both said, “Jordan.”

He cursed and replied by, “I have job offer in France and will be going there in December with Jordan. We have been planning this for about a year so we hope it goes well.”

“Who are you working for?”

”Shouldn’t I ask a question,” he asked.

“This is a follow up question,” I lie. He laughed and said, “I think you already know the answer to that.”

He was right. My father mention something about a genius prodigy with inane ability would start in the company. He was suppose to help with one of our new products that helped make our own perfume, some type of machine. My father however, did not tell me who it was. The only person I have seen from my father’s business was his assistant, a young woman who slept with my father causing my mother and father’s problems. I wanted him out; my mom does not deserve this. I hated him for it. The fact that he acted like a son of b**** when it was his fault caused me to go insane. I hated my home.

Josh touched my shoulder, causing me to snap out of my hateful haze. He stared at me, silently questioning what was wrong. I gave him a fake smile and said, “Your turn.”

“Why are you angry,” he asked.

“I’m not.”

“What’s the name of the game?”

He put me on the spot light, so I might as well tell him.

“My father is not the same guy you probably talk to in the phone. He lies, cheats, and traps you in a box. He wants what he wants and he is a selfish man.”

Josh looked at me carefully and reached for my face that had tears running down. I have not cried in awhile about this matter. Now, I felt pain everywhere and just wanted to go to sleep. Josh pulled me into his chest and let me cry until my sobbing stopped. I looked up and saw his calm green eyes. He gave me a smile and kissed my forehead.

“I should go. . .”

I did not want to hear it. The last thing I wanted was to be alone. Kisses always stopped him in his tracks. I first kissed his lips harshly making him groan. Something awakened me after that. I straddled him and laid him on the pillow. Call it animal instinct, but I was enjoying my carving for him. I started kisses down his neck still playing the game truth.

“Are you enjoying this?”

An unintelligent groan came from him like he was a beast. For a nerd, he was pretty sexy in every way. His hands took control and he pulled me under but for once I was not scared. Everywhere he kissed was a sensitive spot that made me give a little sigh. Lust came to my eyes but his eyes looked like a battle was going on inside his head. Sat up and asked what was wrong.

“Sorry to the party killer, but I don’t want to pressure you into doing this.”

I blinked and saw how I am now. I had no shirt and my lacy underwear was about to make an appearance. I was about to lose my virginity to him. My head was spinning. He put me under the sheets and kissed my forehead. As I saw him inching off the bed I took his shirt that was lying with the rest of my clothes. I put it on and made space for him.

“Melody. . .”

“Stay here with me. We don’t have to do anything,” I said. Or demanded. I realized I hated to be alone. He stared at me shirtless, which caused me to be distracted. Finally, he sighed and came into the bed. He settled himself next to me facing me.

“You,” he stated, “Are a devious girl. What would happen if your parents saw you.”

I shrugged saying, “They don’t check on me. Back when I was a kid, I could be gone for a whole day and they would not notice. Only the maids did. They practically raised me and always wondered where my adventures took me. I had escape routes in every room in the house. My parents never check if I am in my room or not.”

Josh looked shocked and said, “Then I guess I have to accompany you on your journeys to protect you.”

“Like you did with doors?”

“Shut up come here.”

He pulled me closer, entangling my legs, and pulling me to his chest. His arm was used as my pillow and his lips were on my head.

“Night,” we said in unison.

I slowly fell asleep to the sound of his heart beat.

The author's comments:
Hey guys! Sorry I have not updated in a while. I recently just finish this chapter. If you guys also read my other story you would realize I have not updated in months and I will do that today. Thanks for reading and please give me reviews.

Chapter 2

“We will just call her at noon. You know how much she likes to sleep, “my father said.

“Well. . .”

“Come on Lily,” my father insisted harshly.

I am a morning person and I do not sleep that much. Right now, it is eight in the morning and I have been up for at least an hour. Josh was lightly snoring away. I could not wake him at all, he was like a rock. I could not move and I blushed deeply as he unconsciously took hold of me. Inching away, I tried to see if I could lift his arms, but they were basically two beefy logs. Giving up, he leans forward and says, “The blush on your face is adorable.”

My eyes opened wide as a looked up at his closed eyes. I said, “You can’t even see me.”

“I can feel your cheeks heating up.”

Touching my cheeks, I blushed even more. Josh got up and stretched then kissing me. “I have to go to work,” he says.

Frowning, I pull is arm making him stay put. “You know I have to go,” he says.

I kept nodding no but eventually letting go. He then stands in front of me. I stood on the bed so he could take off his shirt. After putting it on, he just stared at me shirtless. I felt the need to cover myself.

“Why are you covering yourself? You’re beautiful Melody.”

“Yea, yea,” I said waving him off and going into my closet. Josh hanged around the door while I chose my outfit. As I made my way to the bathroom, he came behind me and picked me up.

“Josh,” I screamed as he carried me to the bathtub and turning on the water.

“it’s cold,” I screamed at the top of my lungs.

“Hmm. Guess you’re awake now. I’m going to see you later. Just come by the shed later. I get off of my shift at three. Have fun Melody.”

He got out quickly and I rolled my eyes. Great! Now what am I suppose to do for the next eight hours.

I took long shower and slowly got my clothes from the bathroom. My stomach grumbled as I ordered room service and waited for the food. I smiled when the door rang and I saw Jordan there in his uniform.

“Morning,” Jordan said with a sleepy smile.

“Morning! How did you sleep,” I ask.

“Good. What about you and Jo? I did not see him return home last night.”

I turned bright red as Jordan laughed. I lightly hit him and open the cover to my breakfast. I saw a feast in front of me so I put some bacon into Jordan’s mouth and give him a twenty.

“You don’t have to,” Jordan said.

“I want to. See you later,” I said leading him to the door.

About an hour later, I was done with my breakfast when my father’s assisstant came.

“Hello,” I offered.

As usual she gave me a dry looking and said, “Our father says to check if you are awake, which you are. Now we need to go over banquet dresses for your party and attire for the party this evening for your father.”

Great! Anytime she mentioned my father, she lit up like a Christmas tree. Time to bring her down.

“Oh well I’ll go alone or with my mother. This vacation was supposed to be for us to relax, but it is what it is.”

I smiled at my plate while she tries to pick up her mouth from the floor. She left quietly giving me time to practice my piano and watch a little television. By one in the afternoon, I decided to go find the dress by myself. Grabbing my phone, room key, and Daddy’s credit card, I went to the elevator to find Josh.

“Hey, I thought you were working?”

“Lunch,” he said. “Where are you going?”

“To find a dress for my father’s party. You want to get lunch with me and maybe help me to find a dress?”

“Hmmm, find a dress or hang out with the guys and eat chicken wings. This is a tough decision,” he said.

“You don’t have to go. I was just wondering about some of the store around here. I guess I will go on an adventure without you.”

Josh automatically linked our arms and said, “On second thought let’s go to this French boutique. I know the ladies there and they will help you. They are probably going to dress you like a French doll.”

I smiled letting him lead me to the shop. Since they are like twenty floors in the building alone, the tenth floor is where you find all the shops and restaurants. It’s unusual in must hotels but who wants to go on vacation to a place that is normal? As we went in, there were ladies about thirty to forty with a sweet smile on their face and brighten up when they say Josh.

“Bonjour Josh! Qui est-ce?”

“Hello ladies! This is my very lovely friend Melody who needs a dress for that big party tonight. Her parents are the host.”

They straighten up looking professional, which annoyed me. I spoke in French saying, “Please do not act so formal. You guys can call me Mel.”

Josh and the employees of the store had their mouths to the floor with my French. I felt accomplished.

“Since when do you speak French,” Josh asked.

When I was a kid, I did not live here. I was born in Miami, but my parents took me wherever they went plus I was homeschooled until high school. I spent at least two years in each country I went so I speak English, Spanish, French, Italian, a bit of Portuguese, and Mandiran.”

“Chinese,” Josh exclaimed.

“What other Mandiran is there. Plus I speak a little Cantonese. So I speak about seven languages. I am able to practice because my father has employees from ever country in the world.”

Josh’s face looked shock and frozen so I decided to walk over to the ladies and say, “So what shall I be wearing tonight ladies?”

They smiled and said, “We have just the dress for you, come with us. Josh you stay there so you can give your opinion.”

Slipping into the back, I saw the world of dresses unravel in front of me. One of the ladies toke out a dark red dress with sparkles that made a pattern. It went over my feet, which could be fixed with three-inch heels and went great with my jet black hair and pale skin along with my light grey eyes. Carefully, I slipped it on and walked out to Josh. He was playing with his phone as I came out. When he finally looked up, he dropped his phone and had that same shocked look on his face. I walk over and closed his mouth.

“So,” I said giving him a little twirl, “what do you think?”

He couldn’t talk. He looked out of breath or horny. I laughed saying, “I’ll take the dress.”

I went back taking the dress off and gave to the employees as they packaged it and said it will be at my room later today. I thanked them as I paid, admiring their work and found Josh having war with himself. His head was down in his hands so I sat on his lap causing him to bolt up immediately.

“What’s with I am going to die look,” I asked.

“Your too damn sexy and smart for me,” he replied easily.

It was my turn to be shocked.

“You graduated high school when you were twelve! And, you have a freaking beach body. How am I to good for you?”

He smiled at my comment saying, “So you think I’m sexy?”

Replying without thinking I said, “To be honest, you could take my virginity and I would not care.”

When I realized what I said, I hid my face in my hands and curled up into a little ball. Josh laughed and said, “Let’s take it slow. O.K Mel.”

“Yeah. Sorry I do not know what came over me,” I said.

“Don’t worry. It’s kind of sexy.”

We busted out laughing until we notice the time. Josh groaned saying, “I have to go back to work in five minutes.”

“Where do you work? I want to see.”

Josh looked at me like I was strange. He said, “You want to spend your day with me in a computer lab where we won’t see the light of day until three in the afternoon. Sometimes its torture.”

“It won’t be torture if I’m there,” I sing.

Josh shrugs and says, “Alright. But let me tell you now, you will get bored twenty minutes.”

I nodded following him to the lobby and going into one of the staff rooms. There was an impressive computer lab with my oldest friends and family member.

“Hey Grandpa! I’m back from Miami.”

Josh stopped in his tracks and stared at me while my sixty-year grandfather got up to give me one of his legendary bear hugs.

“Didi, how is your new school. Any new friends?”

“Grandpa, I am the choir/piano nerd. Nobody makes friends with that kind of person.”

“You made friends with Josh or more than friends. . .”

I finally looked at or intertwine hands and Josh’s burnt face. I laughed and nudged him closer to Grandpa.

“I told you Josh my grand-daughter is pretty,” Grandpa smiled.

Josh finally spoke saying, “But you never told me you were related to Mr.Reed Melody.”

My smile faded saying, “Grandpa is not my actual Grandpa. My biological grand-parents died in a car crash in Europe, at least my father’s did. This is my great uncle to be exact. I call him Grandpa. Our last names are different because my dad kept his last name. That’s why I was always sent to this hotel as a kid. Grandpa lives here.”

Josh’s face looked like a machine processing the information. In the end, he nodded and said, “Is it O.k if I date your granddaughter Mr.Reed.”

Grandpa had a smile on his face and said, “Fine by me. I always wanted to set you young kids up. You guys looked like great together. So Didi, want to help me with the hotels records. We might find some secrets.”

When I was little, I love to hear secrets. I used to have my way of finding the dirty details even if I did not know what they meant. My grandfather was a wise man who knew more than the manger of the hotel. I took my seat in between my grandfather and Josh and started to research. With the computer running smoothly, I found many articles from recent years and pictures. Josh and grandfather were engrossed with their work when I found the security files. Everything looked boring until I came across recently from a year. My grandfather looked over to find the horrifying picture of my father pulling that skanky assistant into a room.

“Didi, you, , ,”

“I already knew about it grandpa,” I said cutting him short.

He looked at me confused so I explained my little adventures recently.

Walking down the path to my house, I heard noises from the house. I assumed it was just talking so I went in through the back door which led to the kitchen. I fixed myself a snack taking it to my room. I stopped at my parent’s front door, to find my father pinning his assistant to the wall. I quietly ran down stairs grabbed my bag and stayed at my friends house that night.

Grandpa looked at me horrified deciding whether or not he should comfort me or slap my father. I needed some comfort, but I rather have the slapping for my father. I cannot do it, but my grandfather can.

Before Josh could look at the video, I switched the window. I do not want for him to do something crazy when he works for my father. Josh looks at both of us saying, “What’s wrong?”

“Some guest was a gardener her who got rich and eventually moved here to the hotel,” I said.

That was not a lie. I did see an article on that and was still reading it.

“You mean my dad.”

I turned to his smiling face. I am not the only one who has a rich or famous family member.

“That’s why my brother and I live here. Our parents died a few years ago, because they were really old. The owner of this hotel and company is our godfather, but we like to work so. . . . yea.

My mouth fell open. It would be so cool to live here event though I do spend a lot of time here. Grandfather started to go off on all the embarrassing things that Josh used to do as a kid. Josh blushed and laughed with my grandfather and I. By the time he was done, it was three and realized how hard I am falling in love with this bashful boy.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.