Love Lost | Teen Ink

Love Lost

It was a cold December night 1875, Elizabeth was sleeping in her giant canopy bed, the cold breeze sneaked through the small crack in the open window making the blanket fly onto the floor. Elizabeth remained motionless, allowing her nightgown to be exposed to the cold. Her long blonde hair flowed onto the blankets, its ringlets varying in size from long to short. Her face displayed the image of beauty her face, had most captivated. Her face pale yet, gorgeous her yes catlike, however they were crystal blue as the Caribbean seas.

She awoke, sweat and perspiration falling onto her nightgown, drenching it. She hyperventilated, then slowed her breathing, telling herself to relax. “Just a dream, only a dream.” Sighing heavily she shivered and pulled her blanket onto her bed. She pulled on her gown coat and walked down the stairs, towards the front door. She quietly opened the door, and pulled it closed behind her. Slipping away into the garden, she fingered the rose petals and looked around at the beauty of the place. She sat down on the bench and sighed, remembering what happened here only a short year ago.

A year ago, it was her and Alexander that was all that mattered. Alexander was a farm boy, who worked on the countryside of England. His family was poor and had little money and could barely feed their son. Elizabeth was completely opposite she was rich and had been spoiled as a child however, she was generous and gave away a good portion of everything she owned to the poor. Elizabeth’s parents introduced her to many suitors but Elizabeth saw right through them, they only wanted her as a possession and would never consider her equal. Her parents latest attempts to try and force her to marry Prince Henry have failed. Sure, Henry was gorgeous but, he wasn’t the one that Elizabeth dreamed about he cared more about sporting events than anything else.

She had met Alexander when she was collecting apples from the garden near her house, where she saw Alexander hiding amongst the trees. She peered through the bushes and walked towards him, she sat down beside him. Alexander was startled and immediately jumped to his feet when he saw Elizabeth. “Your, highness” he said nervously with a bow. “My apologies, I did not know you were here.” Elizabeth let out a small giggle, laughing at how Alexander greeted her. “Princess, if I may ask what is so funny?” “You’re so formal with me, I’m but only a princess. You don’t have to bow, I am only a person, just like you.” Alexander sat down next to her and asked her why she was at the garden, and just like that their conversation went from minutes to hours.

When it was time to bid farewell, Elizabeth couldn’t help but want him. After so many hours of talking it had seemed like they were meant to be. “Well....um... goodbye princess.”
“Goodbye Alexander” she said with a hint of disappointment in her voice. Alexander looked over Elizabeth’s face, wanting nothing more than to hold her and never let her go. Slip away with her forever and never let another moment go on without her, but he retained himself. He slowly walked away, without looking back to hide himself from her and to escape the expression on her face.

Elizabeth watched Alexander retreat, wishing for once in her life that she wasn’t a princess, but just an average girl without any claim to fame. She wished to be good enough for him. As Alexander walked away he couldn’t help but think about her. Why would a princess as beautiful as her think of me? How could that even be a conceivable idea? She would never love me, I am just but a poor farm boy. She is a beautiful princess and I am not worth of such beauty. But that is just simply the truth, she would never fancy me. Besides she has suitors, money, and I have nothing.

Alexander sighed to himself knowing that this was true, promising himself he wouldn’t return to the garden for fear that the princess would be there. Weeks passed by the princess went back every day to look for Alexander but to no avail. She one day dared to ask her mother if she knew Alexander, to which her mother replied “Such foolishness, child! How could you think about another man when you are betrothed to Henry.” “I am not betrothed to Henry! He doesn’t even love me! All he wants is to bed me! He cares nothing for my feelings and for my utmost deepest thoughts! I shall never marry Henry, as long as I breathe!” “You will marry Henry and that is final! No more of this foolishness he is a fine suitor and I shall be damned if I let Henry’s offer die in vain!”

Elizabeth, decided that if her mother wasn’t going to help her she was going to find Alexander herself, no matter what it took. That night after her father and mother had gone to bed, she climbed out the window onto the cold outer roof of one room of the castle, looking out over Abbith she said, “Alexander, I shall not go on a day without you, let me burn in hell if I marry Henry. My soul and heart are yours Alex and tonight you shall see.” With that she climbed
off the rope and brought out a strand of gnarled rope from the tattered apron she wore across her waist. She tied the rope to the roof ledge where she stood and began to descend down the rope finally on solid ground she smiled relieved. She looked about to make sure no guards were watching her, after deciding that she was safe she tugged the rope which surprisingly released with ease.

Elizabeth began to creep into all the windows of the villagers searching for Alexander, after hours of searching she was nearly ready to give up, what if he had only been a dream what if Alexander had been just a myth? Meanwhile Alexander outside of his small cottage had laid himself against the green grass watching the moon and the stars, dreaming of what Elizabeth looked like sleeping in the castle on top of the hill. She must be beautiful, her face a light pale shade, her eyes peacefully dreaming. Her lips the purest shade of red, her expression relaxed and tranquil. She must be laying on her side, shivering from the cold, waiting for some handsome prince to keep her warm. I wonder if she even remembers me. Alexander let these thoughts take him to an eternal state of bliss forgetting everything else but, the desire to touch her lips.

Elizabeth had finally spotted him, laying against the grass behind a small cottage. The cottage itself was rather small and the roof was beginning to rot due to the dampness of the hay piled on top and the walls looked so conforming, one could wonder how there could be any space in the house at all. The door was made of a musty old wood, screaming to be replaced. However, in one patch of grass a rose sat, the most beautiful rose Elizabeth had ever seen. The petals the brightest fullest shade of red, the rose lacked thorns and it shined making the house seem above the ordinary, rather than below it. She immediately loved that rose, because it reminded her of Alexander how he could come across as ordinary but be rather unworldly.

Elizabeth snuck up to Alex and lay down next to him, the moving against him and laying her head against his chest letting her soft curls fall upon him. Alexander still believing that Elizabeth lying on him was part of his imagination he said, “Elizabeth, I cannot help it I love thee! You are my world, my stars, my sun, and my moon. Don’t marry Henry run away with me and let the sky be the limit. Let our love shine through the heavens, through the darkness of hell. I’d be damned if I ever let you go.” Elizabeth found shock at his words and rose up from his chest and said, “Alexander, is this the truth that you speak?” Alexander jumped up startled by the voice of her. He opened his eyes to find Elizabeth looking down on him in a peasant gown with her hair curled and falling down her back with a strand against her cheek.

Alexander sighed knowing not of what he could do. He had professed his love for her, what was left to say? He looked into her bright shimmering eyes which looked at him confessing all the love she had hidden. He swept a strand of hair from her face and said, “Elizabeth, carus, I am in love with you but I hide my true emotions, because I love you. I am nothing but, a poor farm boy I could never give you what others could but, nevertheless I still love you.” Elizabeth stared at Alexander wondering if his words had come from a dream and wild fantasy come to life. But, she knew the truth. She put her hands and let them trace his face allowing them to memorize every detail, of his beautiful face allowing her fingers to trace his lips. Alexander closed his eyes, attempting to remember every detail of this moment, how it felt to have a beautiful princess trace his face.

“I love you Alexander, my heart and my soul are thees, my every wish, every hope, every thought, every word, every sigh, every tear, everything of me is yours. Thee are I, thee are my life, I want to be with thee now and forever.” She leaned into him, as Alexander wrapped his arms around her waist holding her close to his heart. She leaned into him, pressing her lips against his, allowing him to take over and control the kiss. Alexander cupped her face and began to his her soft and gentle, allowing his lips to linger on hers. Allowing her to come closer to him, closing the small distance between them, he began to ravish her every sigh and every time her eyes fluttered open to look at him.

The kiss became more passionate as Alexander parted her lips allowing her taste of the ocean and the sweetest type of treats take over him. He took her by her hips and allowed her to push him down onto the grass and lay on his chest. She pulled away from his lips and snuggled into him, while his arms wrapped around her enclosing her into him. After moments of silence, Alexander said “Run away with me, princess. For it shall be only thee and I, there could be no other desire of mine.” Elizabeth snuggled in even deeper to Alexander feeling all the warmth of him, “ I want to Alexander, thee know me better then anyone. However, what about my mother and father? What about the kingdom?” Alexander moved so he faced Elizabeth face to face leaning on his elbow, “Forget about that princess, forget everything. Forget about the world just be with me. I promise thee I will never leave thee, and love thee to my last baited breath.” Elizabeth traced his lips once again allowing her hand to go over his face, she knew that Alexander was the one she truly wanted, the one she would wait a lifetime for. But, what else could she do she cared too much about the kingdom to leave with him, but she wanted to.

Elizabeth’s eyes turned star stuck, she could only feel the desire of having Alexander in her life. She could only feel every emotion that it seemed impossible to leave Alexander. The hours that night seemed everlasting there could be no ending it seemed. However, the sun was soon to rise and Elizabeth knew that she must bid Alexander goodbye. “Alexander, the sun is soon to rise I must bid thee farewell. I can no longer stay.” Alexander knew she was right but he felt the same burning desire that Elizabeth did, how could he bid her goodbye? An idea sunk into his mind, “Elizabeth, love, close your eyes and let me take thees hand. let me lead thee to an everlasting life where our love can prosper. Let me lead you to the beauty of life.” Elizabeth was hesitant however, she closed her eyes and allowed Alexander lead her. Alexander looking at Elizabeth thought he had never seen anything more beautiful, nothing more pure. He almost forget what he was suppose to do. He shook his head, took her soft hand into his,; allowing his heart to hammer with the thrill of it.

He led her through the winding roads of Abbith, hoping the sun would not rise too early. He led her down through the town to the garden. He sat down next to the tree allowing Elizabeth come down next to him and lay on his shoulder. “Can I open my eyes yet?” “Yes, love you can open your eyes.” Elizabeth opened her eyes to find the garden around her, she heard the frogs croak, the branches swing in the breeze, and the water crashing down onto the rocks. She realized that the world never appeared more beautiful, more alive. When she looked into Alexander’s face she realized that there was nothing more she wanted from her life, nothing more to ask for.

The sun reflected his angelic nature by deflecting patterns from his face. She brushed her fingers against his face realizing that this would be the last time she’d be free. The last time she would be able to be with him. She knew the truth, yet she could not hide her love this was the one she had waited for. She leaned in and kissed him, letting her lips linger on his. She let his hands fall upon her hips letting every moment of pleasure and love soak into her. “I love Alexander, thee know I do. I love thee more then mine own life.” Alexander saw the truth in her eyes. He felt the love she radiated, but he could feel the sense of hesitation.

“Meet me ‘morrow night and let us be together without boundaries, without limits without the worries of a day of without each other. Be with me sweet princess, by my one true love. Never leave me, be by my side through this crazy world be the one that I spend my life with. Be the one that I cannot go a day without thinking about.” Elizabeth at that moment knew that Alexander loved her with all the passion she could have ever dreamed of, her wildest fantasies come true. But, inside her she knew what she had to do.

She spent those last heavenly hours with her head against Alexander’s shoulder, allowing herself to get lost in his baby blue eyes. They talked, kissed, and went on about what their lives would be like in the future. Elizabeth returned home that night savoring every moment they spent together, craving each kiss, each moment was another to remember. When she returned she could have never imagined the reaction her parents would give her for being gone a day.

“Elizabeth where were you? Thee were parsing the fields with Henry weren’t thou? I knew thou’d take an interest in him! We shalt set the wedding for the ‘morrow thy and Henry shall be married before dusk tomorrow!” Elizabeth stared at her mother, as she began to rattle on about Henry. Elizabeth’s emptiness consumed, she sighed knowing that there was no use in attempting to change her mother’s mind. in her heart she knew she did not love Henry, but what could she do? Running away with Alexander seemed like the right choice inside her heart but, it seemed like the wrong choice inside her head. She took up to her room, looking outside the window in hope of an escape. Marrying Henry was the right thing to do isn’t it? Then why does it feel so wrong? I know I love Alexander more that anything else in the world. But, run away with Alex it all seems so.... wrong. As a princess I made a commitment, but I don’t love Henry, I love Alexander. Whatever shalt I do? Elizabeth slumped down onto her bed wondering the difference between right and wrong, between love and duty. She stayed in her bedroom all that night committed to make a choice.

The next day when Elizabeth awoke she woke to the sun shining upon her face. She listened to the sound of the sweet birds outside her window. Knowing that their sweetness would not last forever. She sighed and opened her door to find 4 servants standing outside her door. “Good morning, princess!” said the petite servant girl in the middle, her dark brown hair flowing down her back and her face illuminated her big brown eyes. “Good morning, why art thou at my doorway?” “We have come to prepare you princess for the wedding tonight for thy and the honourable Prince Henry.” Elizabeth sighed and allowed the overly jovial maids come in. They took all day to fix her hair making it shiny and curly allowing the natural tresses to fall down past her shoulders and onto her breasts. She wore a wedding gown made of lace, the dress had long sleeves with flower designs tracing down them. The bottom of her dress was long and hung loosely off her legs, which was very rare at the time however, Elizabeth’s mother wanted to have her daughter to have a style all her own. Elizabeth had a crown placed upon her head which seemed so large, due to the extremely large crystal and the top of the crown followed by smaller crystals scattered below the large diamond.

Elizabeth sighed heavily as the hour came closer. This is it, this is the moment in which my soul becomes his . No turning back. But this isn’t what I want! I want to be with Alexander! For Alexander is my soul’s desire, my true everlasting love, the one that I was meant to be with. Alex is my soul mate, every kiss he laid upon my lips was heaven every memory we shared was the truth. He is the one who stands out from the lies he is the truth. He is my everything, he is me. I’m not going through with this, I’m finding Alexander! I don’t care who knows! With that ambition racing through her heart she tossed off her wedding shoes and ran through the front door so fast her mother didn’t even notice. She ran throughout the town, as the villagers stared the bottom of her dress became filled with mud but, she was in too much of a hurry to notice. She finally arrived at the backyard where she and Alexander spent that night. Alexander was no where to be found, however, she saw a small, decaying barn house a few yards away perched on top of a small hill. She ran toward the barn house and was horrified by her discovery.

Alexander lay dangling from a plank on the ceiling with a rope tied around his neck. Alexander’s eyes lay closed and his body already showed signs of decay. “No it cannot be, thou cannot be with the souls of the dead!” She quickly untangled him from the rope laying his body on the cloth of her wedding dress. However, his breathing did not return he still remained still, lifeless. His body was cold to the touch. She held his body close to her and wept , screaming out curses, and abandoning all sense of happiness. He was dead. That was it, he was gone. She found a small crumpled paper near where the body lie, sitting next to a rose. A giant familiar rose with the petals at full prominence. She held the rose in one hand and opened the note with the other.

“Dearest Elizabeth,

If you find me here thee will see my dead body suspended, I will be dead. But do not cry, Elizabeth some day we will be together. However, you have to marry Henry and I know thou love I, but thou know love is not enough. This rose I left for you, it is I, take it wherever you shalt go and I know we shalt alway be together. I hung myself here in the breeze for thee. I love thee and I couldnst watch with my own eyes thou and Henry. My soul would break. I could never watch thou and him together and being with you in secrecy that would make me the weakest man alive. So here is my body for you, every piece of me for thee. Thee made me the most incredible man I could have ever hoped. So do not cry for me dear princess because someday you will see me again, I shalt always be there for thee. I love thou.

Love,
Alexander”

Elizabeth allowed the tears to fall from her eyes. He hath done this for her? SHe stared at his body in disbelief. She wept and wept, holding his body close to hers. She suddenly felt a warm touch on her shoulders, she turned to find no one there. She the turned back to the body to find it had disappeared. She saw a puff of smoke collect in a corner and ran to it. The puff of smoke took shape into Alexander’s body She saw his loving blue eyes and his soft auburn, brown hair which fell over his eyes. Then a voice she recognized began to speak, the ghost ever so slowly sat near Elizabeth and traced the patterns of her face and held onto her hand. The voice that came from the ghost was low pitched however gentle, “ I shall always love you Elizabeth for thou are my love. Don’t forget I am always here for you. I shalt always be at thy’s side and in thee’s heart. Thee art my beautiful angel, thou art my soul.” With as suddenness as he appeared Alexander disappeared.

Throughout time Elizabeth saw Alexander as a ghost she was often heard talking to him at night, most thought she had gone crazy and Henry had soon withdrawn his offer of betrothal. Elizabeth one night disappeared she took off on a horse and was never seen again, however some say she still lurks in the garden.