Home > Novel (Fiction) > Realistic Fiction > Call Me Charlie

Call Me Charlie

luv2bLDS
Call Me Charlie
Summary: Charlotte is an imaginative young girl who can take on the entire world with only her mouth. But once she is forced to move to a small town in Idaho where the only other person living on her street is just as sarcastic and quick with words as herself, Charlotte finds knee-deep in a hostile "frenemy" relationship. As the war of words prolongs, Charlotte learns that Logan has a secret hidden behind his crocodile smile. Can they come to peace at last, or will bitter words be the only memories left?

SportsStar23 said...
I thought this was really great! I usually try to aviod novels but this was the perfect size! I didn't feel like it dragged on at all. I loved the way you developed the character! I agree with Gecko in that you could've used crocodile a little less to describle Logan's smile but other than that, it was perfect! The ending was absolutely fitting and worked like a charm (: It was filled with comedy, a dash of romance, and some sadness as well! I loved it! Well done! And please keep... (more »)

Gecko said...
I really loved this! I don't think you could have done better with the ending, so great job with that. I have one suggestion: try not to use 'crocodile' to many times when describing logan's smile. That's it, though! You did an amazing job with this, and didn't make it to predictable or cliche

shinegirl24 said...
Hi. Let me just say that you did a phenominal job with this. I mean it; you created a really engaging story. I liked all the plot twists you put in there, it really captured my attention, and your writing style suited this story perfectly. So awesome job, and keep writing!

luv2bLDS This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 26, 2012 at 6:49 pm :
Thanks so much! :)

. said...
Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:10 am:
I really enjoyed it!  I do have one suggestion though.   I think it needs a little more detail when she is stuck in the hole.  For example, you could say that the wood is, say, mahogoney.  But other than that, I loved it!

Super_Mario_ProseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:01 pm:

Annnnnd... DONE. Yay! First commenter to have read the whole thing!  ;)

Anyways I think a 'congrats' is in order. CONGRATS...!

I looked at the novel, eyeing the number of chapters that slowly climbed up to ten and was like 'oh no, this is going to be long'. But it really wasn't. I found myself forgetting about teenink entirely and simply letting my mind take me through the emotional mountains and revenes of a girl faced with uncontrolable changes... (more »)

Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:52 pm :
Thank you so much, especially for the suggestions! :)

. replied...
Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:56 pm :
I told you it was awesome.  Super_Mario_Prose agrees with me.  And sorry,  Mario, but I read it first.  I'm in her class ;)

KK2013 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 23, 2012 at 6:40 pm:

Lol, im still in the middle (3rd chapter currently) and I like it! it's different! 

However, I wish there was some more internal descriptions (like why she had a phobia... an accident like Dudley's perhaps? lol... Maybe you could explain how she felt when people called her "charlie".... )

Also, why did she call it "a mutated rat?" snakes arent like rats at all... lol

but so far, so good! ill keep reading when I get back from this grad party Im going to!

Jun. 23, 2012 at 7:02 pm :
Actually, it was a dog in the first scene...but that's ok. :P I did have to take out some details because of a page limit for my creative writing class. Although I do believe mentioning that Charlie found a snake on her kitchen counter...if not, well, I've edited and rewritten this so many times that I can't remember what I kept and deleted. Thanks for the ideas and suggestions! Very much appreciated!

Allicat001 said...
Jun. 22, 2012 at 2:39 pm:
I've read about three and a half chapters of your novel so far and I love it:)  I can totally relate to Charlie's phobia of snakes and I love the rivalry between Charlie and Logan.  My only word of advice would be to go more in depth in describing Charlie's emotions throughout.  You have a ton of talent, great job and keep writing!

Jun. 22, 2012 at 6:21 pm :
Thank you so much! Actually, Charlie's phobia of snakes was my contribution to her character. She's a lot like me, just more...melodramatic. But her reaction to the snake was, sadly a personal experience :P

Jun. 22, 2012 at 6:21 pm :

. replied...
Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:58 pm :
Is this girl talented or what?!