Brave - A Native Alaskan Story | Teen Ink

Brave - A Native Alaskan Story

By blakrose PLATINUM, anchorage, Alaska
blakrose PLATINUM, Anchorage, Alaska

"the biggest mistake you can make in life is to give up." - Rebekah Hanson
"think outside the shoe." - Jessica Cox
"angel wings break, so fly while you can." - Rose Smith

Author's note: i originally wrote this for a class assignment.

Run.
That’s all that went through Akiaks mind. For his name meant brave. And he was going to prove it. He had gone on a hike alone for two days and nights. He had nothing but a small pouch that hung from his belt containing water and a small pack that was on his back that held inside a small fur, three arrows, a bowl, a fork and a spoon. He had a small knife on his belt and a bow strung around his shoulder.
He was running as fast as he could. He had run into a cave needing shelter from the harsh Alaskan August rain and winds, unfortunately He was not the only one searching for shelter. There was a mother wolverine with her kit. She was not happy with Akiak stepping on her tail mistakenly. She growled and tried biting Akiaks leg but he had moved just in time. He moved away from the mother and child. She followed.
He started jogging away and she ran after him. He ran faster and she kept up just as easily. After about five minutes of running in circles she lost interest and ran in the other direction. He stopped unsure where he was, the clouds were covering the stars so he could not use them as a guide.
Frustrated and out of breath he started walking forward. He had to find shelter. Fast. His latux, his grandfather would tell him stories of warriors that would die from hyperthermia because they were not able to find shelter from the rain or wind. He stopped and looked around, trying to see something he could use as shelter.
Aroooh Akiak heard the cry of a wolf. He started walking towards it. He knew he shouldn’t. Latux had always told him to stay away from wolves, telling him that the wolf was dangerous. Still something inside told him to follow the sounds of the animal. Aroooh he heard it again, closer this time. He walked towards the sound until the wolf stopped howling. He then walked about three more minutes until he came upon a tree. The tree was hallowed out enough for one person of medium height. Akiak crawled in, curled up and closed his eyes.

He awoke to calmness. The wind had stopped. The rain was gone. He was dry and warm in his tree. He set his pack down and grabbed the arrows. He took a drink of water and took his bow and got up. Time to catch breakfast. He thought. His stomach was growling in all sorts of ways. He walked slowly and quietly through the forest, hoping to see a bird or small animal. He searched for about forty-five minutes and then he sat on a log to rest. He took another drink of water. He rested for no more than two minutes.

After his short rest he got up and searched again. After about ten minutes of walking he found a few small ptarmigans. He shot at one and it missed. He shot at another as it was taking off for flight and hit it in the breast. At last, He had a meal. He tied the bird to his belt and walked back to his tree. He placed the ptarmigan in the tree and piled a bunch of rocks together on the ground. On that pile of rocks he laid some small twigs, moss and leaves. On top of that he placed some bigger, thicker sticks and partial branches.
He then grabbed some moss, his knife and a medium sized flat rock. He set the moss just below the rock and tilted the rock slightly. BANG! He hit the rock suddenly with his knife. BANG! He hit it again creating small sparks. BANG! He tried again. This time creating a huge spark that landed in the moss. Akiak carefully and quickly grabbed the moss and set it in the small brush and other moss and started softly blowing on it. After about forty-five seconds of blowing it caught on fire, soon spreading to the other twigs and branches.

Soon after he had started his fire, he had started plucking the feathers off of the ptarmigan. After about an hour of plucking and tending to the fire the ptarmigan was ready. He had put the ptarmigan on a stick that he had carved with his knife and held it over the fire, smelling the delicious smells. He let it cook for about ten minutes, and then he stuck the stick onto the ground at an angle so he could rest from holding it so long. He let it cook like that for about forty-five minutes longer and then he checked it. He put it back by the fire and let it cook for a little while longer.

When Akiak was finished cooking and eating the bird he went for a short walk to try to figure out what his location was. He had noted in his walk that he was near a small river with some small fish. I will use the stars and this river to tell me what direction I am traveling during both the day and night. Akiak thought to himself. He walked a little while in the opposite direction of the river, hoping to find something to amuse himself with, for he was only seventeen years old and was usually bored.

When he returned to the tree with a refilled water bag, he sat on a nearby log and started carving more arrows to pass the time. After he had carved six arrows he stopped. It was about four in the afternoon he guessed by the sun. He walked to the river with his bow and arrow, hoping to catch some fish for his afternoon meal. When he got to the river he walked beside it to try and find a spot with bigger fish. When he found a spot he liked he grabbed his bow and arrow. He pulled the string tight and put the arrow head about an inch into the water. He waited for a fish that he liked to swim under it. SPLASH! Akiak had hit a fish. He now had dinner. After cooking and eating his dinner he fed the fire more wood and went inside the tree. He lay down and went t o sleep.
In the morning there was more rain and wind. This was a bad time to go for an adventure. Akiak thought. But it is sure to earn me some respect. The rain was worse than the day he had found the hollowed out tree in the forest. The wind was blowing so hard the spruce trees were bending to the ground. He was afraid, but he was not about to admit it. The sky was black and the ground where he had made his fire was flooded and ruined. He had to figure out what he was going to do. Fast.

He was walking around trying to find a new place to sleep. He was lost and could not tell where he was, or where he was going. He was soaking wet and freezing cold. It was about 20° outside. He had been walking for about two hours now and still no luck with finding any sort of shelter. And then he heard it. Aroooh. Aroooh. “The wolf!” He said “I really did hear it!” He ran. He ran as fast as he could. He was running to the wolf. Aroooh. The song of the wolf. Loud and beautiful. That is what Akiak heard, a beautiful song. He was running to the sound. He ran and ran for about half an hour stopping only once.
When he had arrived at the small cave that was at the edge of the forest his legs felt as if they were on fire. His lungs as if they were about to explode. He ventured into the cave slowly, unsure of what waited inside. When he was inside he saw a bunch of dog prints in the dirt and dust that had gathered on the ground. Inside the cave was dry and warm. He sat and emptied the wet contents of his bag and laid them out on the ground so they could dry.
About an hour later the wind had died down and the rain was not as bad. Akiak shook out the still damp fur and placed it on the dirt. He then laid on it and closed his eyes and fell asleep. When he woke up about two hours later the rain had stopped and there was just a slight wind. Feeling refreshed he got up and stretched his sore muscles. He then stepped outside to see what the damage was. There was about two inches of water on the ground everywhere. He went back inside of the cave he could plan his next move and to figure out where he was.
He was supposed to return to his village tomorrow. He had to find out how he was going to get back home. He sat on the small fur and tried to think of a plan. He sat there thinking for about forty-five minutes thinking and drawing in the dirt with his fingers. Gurgle. He gripped his stomach as it growled with hunger and pain. “Food.” He said aloud. “I must find food.” As soon as he stood up he fell back down. He had twisted his ankle while he was running in the rain and mud. He grunted and stood up again. This time he was prepared for the pain.
Once he walked around the cave for a few minutes getting used to the pain he grabbed his knife, bow and arrows and ventured outside. Once outside he started walking. Every other tree he passed he put a slash in with his knife so he could find his way back easily. He walked around for about twenty minutes trying to find some sort of food. Gurgle gurk. Went his stomach again. He sat and rested his ankle feeling it to make sure it was not broken.
Crack. Snap. Something moved in the brush nearby. Akiak stopped what he was doing and grabbed his bow and an arrow. Crack. Whatever it was moved again. Ducked low and bow ready, Akiak waited. Swish. The animal started running. All Akiak saw was a blur of white running past him. He got up and ran after it as best he could. (Not very well.) The animal kept running until it got to a stream. Then it ran into a bushy area that had very tall, very wet grass in it.
Akiak stopped at the stream and looked for some fish. He saw some small ones but, none big enough for him to shoot. He walked up and down the stream looking for a decent sized fish. Finding none he started walking back to the cave. Snap. He heard an animal. Not as big as the one before, but it sounded big enough to eat. He turned around and saw a fat rabbit at the stream drinking water. He quietly grabbed his bow and arrow and pulled the arrow tight.
Zing. The arrow flew quickly, hitting the gray rabbit in the stomach. He now had food. Now all he needed was a fire to cook it. He limped back to the cave stopping a few times to rest his sore ankle. When he got to the cave he sat and rested for about ten minutes. When he was finished resting he stood up and walked out of the cave. He walked around looking for some dry wood. He found some branches that were under other trees or that were still on the spruce that surrounded him.
Once he had gathered all the wood he would need to start the fire he returned to the cave and set his findings on the floor of the cave. He then set them up in the back of the cave. (About twenty feet back.) Once the wood was set up he left the cave again to find some dry grass or moss. He didn’t have to travel far to find some he just went to the first spruce tree outside of the cave and took some of the dry moss from the branches. He then went back to the cave, on the way picking up a large stone. He started the fire the same way he had before.
Once he had the rabbit cooking he sat and rested his ankle. He checked his ankle for any further damage and tested its ability to move and bend. He cut a small strip from the fur and bound his foot with the strip and some sticks that he had gathered creating a splint. After securing the splint to his ankle he stood up to see how well he could stand and walk with it on. It was a little awkward, but it would do for now. After walking around and testing his new brace for about fifteen minutes, Akiak checked on his rabbit. It smelled amazing. He guessed it would be done in about twenty minutes or so.
After sitting down being bored for about five minutes Akiak stood up and walked around the cave trying to find something to do. During his boredom he found some more dog prints in the dirt. Aroooh. The wolf was searching for something. Akiak could hear that in her voice. Aroooh. Again she was loud and clear.
Akiak stepped out of the cave and started walking towards where he had heard the howl come from. But then he remembered the rabbit and stayed by the cave. When the rabbit was finished cooking and Akiak had eaten it, Akiak put out the fire and started walking again. He walked quietly in hopes of hearing the wolf again. He found himself at the stream again.
Once he was at the stream he looked around, not quite sure what he was looking for. He could not find anything of direct interest. Crack. Something was walking in the trees. He heard it again. Crack. Some thing was moving closer. It must be someone from my village to come rescue me. He thought. “Dzaanh.” Hello, He said. It stepped closer without replying. He stepped back. Unsure of what it was. Then he saw it move between trees. It was big. And it was white. It was a big white dog.
It was a wolf. It was a white wolf. It was walking in a circle around him. Akiak stepped back unsure what the wolf was going to do. Aroooh. The wolf cried. Akiak stepped back again. Akiak was confused but not scared. The wolf stopped and looked at Akiak. Akiak stopped and looked at the wolf. They both stood there staring at each other not knowing what to do next.
The wolf made the first move by walking slowly to Akiak. Akiak did not move but instead let the wolf come to him. The wolf walked to Akiak until it was about three feet away. Akiak looked at it and just stood there not knowing what to do. The wolf turned around and walked about ten feet away and looked back at Akiak beckoning him to follow, Akiak stepped forward.
The wolf led Akiak around for about an hour when it got dark. The wolf stopped at a river that was surrounded by trees. It sat and looked at Akiak, expecting him to do the same. Akiak sat, not knowing what to do next. The wolf lay down and looked at Akiak. Akiak lay on the ground as well. He closed his eyes and drifted to sleep.
When Akiak woke up, the wolf ways lying with him keeping him warm. When Akiak started moving to get up the wolf also woke up. Akiak was still unsure of the intentions of the wolf but decided to trust her any way, she was all he had. The wolf had got up and started walking away. Akiak followed.
Once they had been walking for about forty-five minutes Akiaks stomach started growling from hunger. The wolf must have heard Akiaks stomachs cries because it stopped and started looking around for food. Akiak sat down because his foot was starting to hurt. The wolf kept walking and Akiak stayed put.
About twenty minutes later the wolf returned with a large rabbit in her mouth. She dropped the rabbit at Akiaks feet and walked off again. Akiak gathered the items needed to start a fire to cook the rabbit. He then sat and rested again for about three minutes. Once he had finished resting he started a fire and set the animal up so it could cook. About ten minutes after the wolf left it had returned with yet another rabbit for herself. She set the rabbit down and started eating, looking at Akiak every once in a while with curiosity.
Once they both were finished eating the wolf laid down to rest. And Akiak sat by her. The wolf moved closer to Akiak and laid her head on Akiak lap, showing her trust in him. Akiak placed his hand on her head thanking her for the help and trust.
Once they had rested akiak got up and the wolf got up as well. Once they had started walking again akiak was trying to figure out a name for the wolf. He did not want to just call her “wolf”. He decided to call her “Aukaneck”. It meant “guardian spirit”. “Aukaneck.” He said softly. The wolf looked back at him. He smiled. They walked for 3 more hours until it got dark outside, only stopping twice.
Once it got dark they wandered around looking for a place to stay for the night. They found a few possible spots, a small burrow in the ground, a large hallowed out tree and some flat grass. They chose the burrow. Akiak went inside and Aukaneck lay at the entrance. They laid there for about twenty minutes before Akiak fell asleep and Aukaneck finally was content that all was calm.
The next day when they woke they went to find some food. They were looking around for about thirty minutes when Akiak spotted a few grouse. He quietly whistled at Aukaneck and she crouched and ran after them. Once they caught and killed the birds, one apiece they went to a spot where Akiak could start a fire to cook them. Once they found a spot and built a fire Akiak set his bird up to let it cook and Aukaneck lay down. They ate their birds once Akiaks was done cooking and then started walking again, Aukaneck leading the way.
They walked like this for about two days stopping every once in a while and eating only when necessary. Aukaneck leading the way and Akiak following her close behind. In the middle of the third day Akiak saw smoke in the sky. Not a lot like it would have been if it were a forest fire, but enough for a camp fire. Akiak started jogging ignoring the sharp pain in his ankle every time he stepped down on it.
After running for about fifteen minutes with Aukaneck close behind Akiak ran straight into his village. Aukaneck stayed in the forest looking around very cautiously. Everyone started hugging Akiak and rejoicing his return. When they asked him how he returned he told them the story of his adventure. Akiak called for Aukaneck and she very cautiously walked forward towards Akiak. Everyone looked at her and she greeted each of them kindly.
There was a huge celebration for his return. There was a feast and lots of games. They fed Aukaneck and groomed and cleaned her to show their appreciation. They feasted and rejoiced for three whole days and nights. Once the celebration was over they all rested and everything returned to normal. Akiak was considered brave and then Aukaneck left during the night never to return. Although even two years after, the village still hears the howling of a wolf.