If only trees could speak | Teen Ink

If only trees could speak

March 8, 2012
By MelindaFith, Birmingham, Michigan
More by this author
MelindaFith, Birmingham, Michigan
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note: I'm interested in being a detective later on in life myself so to write a investigative novel was right up my ally.

The trees were thick and tall full of curves and sorrow. They’d seen happiness and joy, sadness and fear. Between them sat the old bench that was once an ancestor.
If they could speak they would tell of countless stories of the couples with hope that had sat on their friend, the little kids with bug dreams that had climbed there branches, the ghost of the night and the criminals of the streets. It would seen that these trees has seen it all. I think they might have believed the same growing there through so many seasons. So many people and stories passing through but they were proved wrong. There was one thing they hadn’t seen. One thing they hoped they never would, that would chill them to the farthest deepest of their deep roots.
What was the one thing? Well it started on that bench, in the warmth of the summer night…

A young girl, the age of 20 came to sit and think on the bench as she often did, her name was Sarah. She was dating a man of the community a lawyer to be exact and her mother lived close by.
Sarah seemed to enjoy sitting on that bench, coming there with her mom and boyfriend she seemed to it best alone in the quiet warm night, this night seemed no different from the rest. The street was softly lite from a street lamp down the road and the woods on the other side was quieting with the cool night drifting in.

She had her dog Sun sighted and he sat by her side. She leaned back on the bench closing her eyes and relaxing as Bally put his soft black head on her knee. Hey sat awhile, maybe 20mins without moving when it all changed...

The street lamp went out and the night went black as it became filled with the sounds of Sarah’s muffled cries and Bally’s visions growls.
Suddenly after what sounded like a few snaps from Bally a gun shot rang out into the night and all went silent...

That's how it stayed for the rest of the time until dawn, not even the creatures from the woods would speak that night as they all waited for in fear of the coming night.
With the sun sat the terrifying picture and horrifying questions.
Bally lay shot, her fur badly matted just behind the bench. Her mouth lay open slightly covered in blood and there was no doubt that she had been killed but what than happened to Sarah?

"we got a case for you to look at"
"Sweet, let's see it" John reacted for the case file. Flipping it open he say the picture of Sarah Mcanerny smiling up at him.
"She’s pretty that one..." the head desk lady Suzan mused... "Hey, wasn't she dating that lawyer?"
"Yea, bill Mont" John thought, questioning a lawyer would not be fun, specially if he did it...
"Well he looked like a nice fella, hope it wasn't him" Suzan smiled and walked away.
I too, never had to try a lawyer before and I don't want to. And Bill seemed good. John had seen Sarah once before. Maybe three weeks ago. She had come to one of Bills cases at John had been a head witness in.
The shooting of a little girl, by her father. John couldn't get the case out of his head and Sarah’s picture was bringing it back.

John was on stand, testifying against the father. Explaining on excruciating detail exactly what he had done that day as he pulled the gun out on his own daughter. John was thinking of how none of it made sense, he couldn't understand why…
The thought of it was sending him back into that horrifying mindset, so he focused instead on Sarah and when he'd seen her.

The trail was right in the middle, he was on stand going into detail of how the father had pulled the gun when the court room door very silently cracked open and Sarah add slide through. An embarrassed small smile on her face.
He remembered how angry and annoyed that smile had made him. This was not a trail appropriate at all to be smiling anywhere near it…
Ignoring that thought process as well, john focused on the details about her…
She was shorter maybe 5’ 2”, with brown wavy, just below her shoulder length hair. She had on a tight fitted women’s suit jacket and a small pencil skirt. Her small size was oblivious she probably had little to no meat on her. With a red V-neck under her jacket, she had matched her red strappy heels as they clenched on the court room floor. She was trying to be quiet and sneak into the far back row unseen. But in my mind, it hadn’t worked well.
That seemed to be all I could remember until I watched the defense lawyer go greet her with a kiss. When I had asked the judge who she was though I had gotten a discussed ‘girlfriends’ and a cast off look, than judge Slim simply walked away mumbling to himself. Slim never was much of a friendly fella.
But know I had to wonder if the response was a show of anger or annoyinist towards Sarah or her boyfriend bill Mont, and if it should be taken into consideration.
I looked down at the report. Sarah’s mother Deb had reported her missing Wednesday morning, saying that Sarah had left Tuesday night around 8:30 to take her dog for a walk and had never returned. Another agent hadn’t done much of a follow up and of course Sarah could not be claimed legally missing until after 48 hours of her disappearance.
I checked my watch, 9pm Thursday. Wow the station was being rather urgent, or at least on top of things…
I grabbed my desk phone and dialed miss. Mcanerny’s house phone, It range a few times before a young sounding but probably middle aged, flowery sounding women answered.
“Yes?” she chimed.
“Yes, hello ma’am this is agent Brent from the Hillwater police office. Do you have a minute to talk?” I spoke.
Debs voice seemed to be sad or maybe worried slightly “is this about Sarah?”
“Yes ma’am, I’m a detective with the missing persons unit. Sarah’s file just found my desk; may I ask you a few questions?”
“Yes, of course just…” there was a pause and I wasn’t sure if she would continue at first and than in a small voice she added “please find her; she’s all I have…”
I could hear her love and pain in her voice and a wave of sadness washed over me. I set it aside, getting attached or sympatric was bad and could easily cloud my judgment.
“I’ll do my best ma’am’ I did my best to make my voice hard and business like. As an officer, giving a ruff exterior causes citizens to feel safer or more protected in most cases.
“Thank you” her voice had gained a little bit of volume. “Ask me whatever you need.”
“Sarah lives with you?” I began.
“Yes, for the last few years.”
“You’re her biological mother?”
“Yes, she’s mine” she sounded proud.
“Is there a father?”
“He passed away, died in a car accident when she was very young.”
“Is there a father like figure, or someone your dating now that’s in the picture?”
“No, I dated once about five years ago. But I haven’t since.” She seemed to reminisce.
“Is Sarah dating anyone?” I knew the answer but still had to ask.
“Yes, Bill Mont. His defense lawyer in the area.”
“Yes, I know him” admitted “have they been fighting or having any ruff patches that you know of?”
“Not really… the last I saw of them together was a few weeks ago and they seemed fine.”
“Has Sarah been off or upset at all?”
“Maybe a little more solemn but I barely noticed it and haven’t thought much of it until now…” her voice had gotten sadder again.
“Is there anyone you can think of that would want to hurt Sarah?”
“Is she hurt?!” deb blurted out emotionally.
“No ma’am it’s just a question.” I explained.
“Oh.. I’m sorry, I’m so upset. I should have realized…”
“It’s ok, can you answer the question for me though?”
“Oh yes, sure. No, I don’t know of anyone. Unless one of bill’s clients were trying to get to him, using her. It’s pretty well known that there together.”
“I see, and is Sarah working?”
“No she’s still studying, she was still studying. She was even thinking of studying abroad next year” Deb sounded excited, and than seemed to remember the situation… “I guess that’s if you find her…”
I heard her voice fade and knew her thoughts were on the worst.
“I’m going to do my best ma’am, we’ll find her soon enough.”
“Thank you”
“Yes of course. Alright, so do you known any of Sarah’s roommates? If maybe she was in a disagreement with one of them?”
“No, Sarah doesn’t have to go into campus much because of her studies but even when she did she didn’t seem to care much. Just wanted here with me and Bill and our dog.”
“Ok and you said that the dog is missing too? Yes, she took him out for a walk that night and never came back.”
“I see, how about you explain everything about that day to me up to when she left.”
“Of course, it was Tuesday. I normally go to the gym Tuesdays to work out, so I left before Sarah. She was to go to class at noon on campus and be back about 2, she was about an hour late because of traffic though and when she got back she seemed a little annoyed. But she just simply signed it off as traffic as she put her books away and then came to help me cook. We just talked of books and flowers to get her mind off of it though.
“We made a good sized dinner, flank steak with feta and spinach rolled inside and grilled to perfection. Bill was sup post to come over but he couldn’t make it, he got caught up at work. Sarah was a little sad but she was ok with it and we just had plenty of left overs. I still can’t get myself to finish them… there just sitting in the fringe.”
“I understand, what happened after dinner?” I tried to keep her on track, sometimes victims’ families can get distant id you don’t keep them directed and help them along.
“Oh yes, sorry. We cleaned up and by than it was about 5. We both sat down to read, Sarah studied a little and then at about 7 Sarah went to take Sun for a with Sun?”
“Yes, she normally heads south and then right and walks through the park on 5th. Her favorite bench is there.”
“I see, and which bench is that?”
“The one facing east on the edge of the park more north than in the middle.”
“Does Sarah normally like to sit and rest there during her walks?”
“Yes, it’s her place to think, but even when she does stop she normally never takes more than a few minutes and heads back. She normally gets back before 7:40.”
I had pulled out my notepad a while back and I thought I had a pretty good idea of where the bench was. I’ve so it was good to get a general idea of the victims habits.
“Alright than ma’am, only one more question and then ill get to work”
“Yes?”
“Did you go out and try to find her?”
“No, should I have? I don’t like the dark and I felt telling you guys were safer.”
“You did nothing wrong ma’am again just a question”
“Ok” Deb sounded thoughtful, now she was wondering what she could have done differently, I knew it.
“Well ma’am you’ve been very helpful. I should start on my investigation. Hang in there and ill keep you informed.”
“Thank you.” She sounded very sincere.
“Of course, bye now.”
“Bye” she waited for me to hang up, and once I did I got straight to work.
The first thing to do typically is to call a list of the missing’s close friends or family. Not only does this give you information on them but sometimes you discover that the person is not really missing at all but instead has just left to stay with someone else etc without ever giving worrying or telling a reason to the individual who reported them missing.
I figured that her boyfriend Bill Mont would probably be a good second chance and then realized I had forgotten to ask Deb a good way to get ahold of him. Oh while, yellow pages it is. I never had realized how useful yellow pages could be until I became an detective on the force. It actually is extremely useful.
I had always wanted to be an detective with five years on the force her was still considered young at 27, he liked being an detective though. Being able to directly see himself making a chance on people’s lives, not just serving them a nice speeding fin every once and a while.
I tend to be a very goal drive person but I like to earn my things honestly, I easily might be the only detective that was clean to get to their position. And of course as soon as they gave me this spot a shot for the next one making head detective in the 9 months. I always need a goal, something to stride for. I’m never really content.
Well I was once, and I would do anything to get back there. Back to Jane, the most wonderful women God has ever created. Smart, kind, never once thinks of her, always others. When I had her I needed nothing else. I always told myself I would never let her go and now that I did, it’s the biggest regret in life I have.
When she left I had nothing left but my job, dating was out of the question. With my crazy hours and always being on call you never knew what you’d get. So like now, I just would always focus on work.
I looked up Bill’s law office and called his extension.
The connection clicked and rang five times before an exhausted sounding women picked up, breathing heavy she exclaimed “yes?”
“Is this the office of Bill Mont?”
“It is. How can I help you?” she was in a hurry.
“Sorry to interrupt, but is Mr. Mont in? This is detective John Brent I’d like to speak to him please.”
“Oh yes, sorry detective. Mr. Mont just went a few moments ago. Can I leave him a message in the morning for you?”
“Actually could you tell me a way to react him at home? It’s rather important”
“Well… I…” she seemed cautious and unsure.
“Ma’am this is important, he’ll want to know as soon as possible.”
She thought about it, “Well ok, his home number is…”
I sketched it down and thanked her. Once id hung up I dialed Bills home phone but got only the answering machine. I left him my name and cell number. Telling him to call as soon as possible it was very important.
After leaving the message I decided to head for the night, but in the lot.
As I rected my the door to my car, I noticed what I at first thought was Sarah Mcnererny and than as I turned to see, I realized she was a bit older but the resembles was uncanny. It must be Sarah’s mother, and as soon as I saw the brown box, cradled in her arms I knew she was here to see me.
Victims familys offen bring the case offer a bunch of the vicims things. Keep sakes and things they’ve accomplished in hopes to reach us emotional and drive us to be attached. Though for we will try harder to find their love one, we’ll realize that there not just another picture in a yellow folder that we have to find. Its usually difficult for the officer to sit through this, not that they don’t care but more that although this helps the family. To feel like they can do something, they can motivate us. It typically just takes away time that the officer could spend finding the missing person themselves.
As an officer myself I also just don’t see the point for the fact that because I know all the officers personally. I know that not one of them see a missing persons as just some case, somebody to find or run away child to find hiding in the park. We do all care, we put are everything in to every one of our cases because we do know that these all people. Individuals with talents and a future. Families and friends that love them and will greave over them for years if we have officers don’t find their love one.
Thing is we don’t need a box of trophies or pictures of them helping little kids to feel compassion towards them. We care already, that why we do and love the job that we do.
But as always, I could not turn Deb down and as I lead her to my desk and sat her down, I let her tell me all about Sarah, for as long as it might take.
She began to unload the content of her box onto my desk. She had a huge array of stuff stuffed into its small walls, first to come were trophies. Spelling bees when she was little swim team later on…
“See thing is detective, she’s my baby. Look at all this stuff she’s done, she cant been done now. She’s going to add a diploma, change the world with her work. You’ve just got to bring her back.” As she spoke she starred down at a picture of her daughter with a cute, blonde smiling happy at the camera in what looked like summer with a lake behind them… she handed me the photo. “You’ve got to find her… it’s not like her to run away, she’s not that kind of girl. Something’s keeping her from coming back to me.” It was already obvious by the dark, red circles around her eyes and her dried nose that she had been crying, but as she spook new fresh tires began to stream down her face.
It’s normal or expected that love ones do things like this. They want to make sure you done just view the victim as any old person, they tell you about them and show you there passed even more than is helpful in hopes to impassion you to solving the case more quickly or with more heart. Thing is most detectives are in this line of work because they really do care, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t get attached or put there whole heart into it. I can remember every case that hit my desk, who the victim was, what happened to them and how it ended good or bad. In this line of work you don’t easily for get or not get emotional.
Sarah seemed like she was a sweet heart, grow up in a small town and her mom really seemed to love her. Granted everyone knows that no one’s perfect but “I have every intention of finding her as quickly as the lord will possible allow, ma’am.”
Deb smiled.
“I’ll keep you posted miss. Mcanerny, go home and get some rest if you can. You’ll be the first to know if I find anything.” I gave her a warm smile, and she seemed to be content with that. Helping her with her things I escorted her out of the office, carrying her box out to her car for her whom I noted as red flex, with wide wheels and a dent in the back right bumper. It’s a cop thing; I noted stuff without ever meaning to all the time.
After id bided her good night, I wrote down the license number and the notes about the car and then headed home myself.

What the hell was going on?
Utter panic had set into Sarah’s inter body as she continued to lash against the restraining ropes. She had no doubt in the mine that this psycho path was going to kill her.
She could feel the hard thick, tarp or plastic wrap under her body as she fought.
The crazy bastard had tied her to a bed after knocking her out and shooting her dog.
She’s woken up like this and for the last few minutes she was fighting her restraints with everything she had. She wasn’t going to die without a fight…

The next morning I entered the office early, the quicker the start on a case the faster the person can be found and the less bad that can happen. Though the hope is always that there alright, but sadly that not what always happens. I decided to head out to head out to the law office were Bill Mont worked. He had never called me back and I don’t particularly like being ignored, especially when someone’s life may be on the line. It was a nice building, tan and gold brick made up the walls of the four store high early 80s agriculture. I went up the large stairs out front of its four deep wood, wide doors. Inside I was director to the second floor wear I found again an exhausted secretary and supposedly no Bill Mont even though I had a feeling he was in his office but she was just lying. I would have pulled out the charge of imbedding a investigation but I kind of wanted to find out why she was hiding him first. I went out and called into his office, again the secretary answered this time I decided to question her, how long she worked there. What her relationship with bill was… she answered rather remotely until I asked about Sarah, to that she went silent. And when I asked again she stumbled and then said that shed only meet her twice and it was only to let her in to bills office. She sounded discussed by her own words. I tried to hang on Catherine for a bit longer, see if I could get anything more out of her but she managed to avoid them pretty well and as I brought it back to bill it changed exponentially. She spoke of him as this loving kind person, in her eyes I got the impression that he had no faults. And yet after all this buttering up she still said that he wasn’t in and I couldn’t see him. Irritated I went into the front desk of the building and asked if employs have to check in and out. And of course, to my help they did. I checked that yes, Bill Mont, defense lawyer was in fact checked in and headed for his office once more. Faced with the evidence that he was in fact in the building she secretary, Miss. Catherine, let me in to see him. Bill was in his early twenties, dark short hair. He was about 6 foot and mildly athletic looking. Easily viewed as handsome I was sure. His office was large, maybe 20 by 20 feet, with a nice mahogany wood desk and giant black desk chair that eat his figure, and took this 6 foot man and made him look almost 3 foot. As I walked in he greeted me and introduced myself. “Nice to meet you detective Brent. Hope your days well’” “Not too bad, mildly frustrating. It seems your secretary Miss. Catherine had every intention of never allowing me to speak to you.” “Oh, well I have been in meetings this morning; however I’ve simply been here in my office sense 8” “Yes well she seemed to think otherwise.” I replied. “Strange, that’s rather out of character of her. So anyways what can I owe the pleasure of you being here to?” “Your girlfriend, Sarah Mcernercy.” He seemed to get more intrigued as I named her “she has gone missing as of three days now…” “What? While that explains the missed calls but for her to be completely missing… I would have never guessed…” “Yes, well I’m the leading detective on her case and if possible I would like your full corporation.” I made sure to be more assertive. “Absolutely.” “Wonderful, I only have a few quick questions and ill be on my way.” “Sure” “Where you and Sarah in any sort of dispute? Argument or upset at each other?” “No, not at all” he had taken no time to respond, a very good sign. “Do you know of anyone who would and to hurt Sarah? “No not at all…” “Do you think it possible that one of your clients might use her to get to you, that they may be upset over a trial?” “I don’t believe so… but I’d be more than willing to give you all of my case records… in confidentiality of course…” “That’d be great” I smiled at him “and I’ll let you know if anything turns up” I stood to leave. “Yes, of course. And anything you may need, I would love to help. Just please find her.” “Ill do my best” I shook his hand and went for the door. Out in the lobby, Catherine seemed all but irritated to have to make the case file copies for me. I still could not figure out what she seemed to despise me so much for. I watched as she got up angrily from her desk and disappear into a small side room, as I waited I could hear her opening and slamming shut file drawers the hum of the copier was in the back ground. It seemed that ever sign or deep breath she took seemed to get louder, longer or just more exaggerated in general. After almost a half hour she emerged with if possible even more of an unfriendly scow across her face. “This is for you officer.” She spoke every word pointedly, like daggers. I decided to really get under her skin and responded in the sweets voice I could muster “thank you ma’am” and gave her my best down home country smile. She simply stared at me, made another angry grunt and walked around her desk and plopped into her chair. “Well bye now.” I was milking it, smiling back at her and waving as I stepped inside the elevator. It took a while, but soon I headed out for back at the station. On the stairs out from of the law office I went to get into my car and was stopped but a shot from Bill Mont. “Hey, detective! If you don’t find her I will.” He was at his own car parked a few spaces up. And with that he got in and speed off. That was really strange… ‘Out of character’ just as Bill had put it. I pondered it on the way to the office. I spent a good portion of the rest of my day, checking files and setting up a time line on what I like to call the ‘missing board’ it’s a white board that the officers and I use to draw a time line and place pictures of victims and possible suspects. She didn’t stop fighting her ropes. She heard him walk, his steps were heavy but not in a musically way, more just weighted down. She didn’t stop thrusting, and slashing to get free. “Now, now stop that. It’s ok. He serves this. It will all be over soon…” What the hell was he talking about? “It’s only because he loves you.” She felt a hand gently slide down the side of her cheek and tried to scream. But he mouth was gagged and her scream was never heard. His f*ing crazy! Who the hell is he talking about? “Well sorry Hun, but I can’t kill you now. I’ll be back soon though, don’t worry. And will get you all taken care of…” Sarah almost frozen in shock, she knew he was going to kill her but now he was making her wait. Teasing her, it wasn’t that she was ready to die. But just knowing when it would come, it made it so much worse…

Well looking over the board and evidence so far a phone call came and I was called to the murder scene of Adam Zone.
Right as I went to leave the station, I stood to be stopped in my tracks…
She is here, I haven’t seen her is almost a year. It’s a small town so the fact that I hadn’t ran into her had to be intentional. I’ve been convinced she was a avoiding me at all cost. But not know. As I stood there shook my ex- of 3 years the women I thought to propose to walked into the station doors. Her blonde hair; wavy and windblown, a pink tank top and jeans tight to her body. No makeup as always she looked beautiful. Pulling up her sunglasses she seemed anxious and in a hurry as she scanned the office until her eyes fell in me.
I don’t know what I expected her to do, to turn away. Maybe a pleat small, she was always good at being the bigger person and stepping up when it was needed. Either way what did happen was not on my list.
After a sec of stillness she ran for me, looking panicked she flow across the station and throw her arms around me with an anxiety filled “oh, john!”
He weight laid on me, and I knew something was terribly wrong. She needed help.
“Jane, what is it?”
He arms dropped and her eyes bored into mine helplessly. “I’m in trouble.”
“What kind of trouble” she’s not known to break the law, or do anything intentional so what happened… my mind raised as she seemed to collect herself to explain. I watched as her blue, soft eyes searched to figure it out herself. No matter how many nights id spent with a bottle of vodka telling myself I didn’t love her, that I don’t love her. As I stood and watched her, so hopeless it was undeniable, I was still hopeless head over heels for this women.
“I only meant to help...” she started; of course she would get in trouble trying to help someone else. She has such a huge heart; sometimes it blinks her to the dangers… “I saw this little boy; he was at the park and seemed so small, and weak. He looked unfed and he had all these bruises. Someone must have hurt him… so I went to him and asked if he was there with anyone, he said that his dad had just left to do business, that his sup post to stay there and play until he comes back. He said his dad would be gone until five, and it was only noon. It’s terrible, how they leave him there like that… I asked when was the last time he ate and he didn’t want to answer, he was shy so I afford him some of my coffee cake you know like I always have…”
“Yes, I remember” I smiled at her gently.
She seemed to study me a moment, and the corner of her lip turned up just a bit in a small smile.
“Well I talked to him a well but he didn’t tell me much more. He had eaten almost all of my cake so I asked him if he would be there tomorrow and when he said yes, I asked him if he’d like some more of my cake again tomorrow. He had the cutest, shy small as he nodded. I didn’t know how to help him; I was just trying to do what I could. But when I came back the next day the boy was gone. I looked for him a will and then thought to wait just in case he came. I waited as long as I could before I had to return back to work. I didn’t know what had happened. I was so worried id gotten him in trouble… but that night, a man showed up at my door, it was late and dark and I was to scared to open the door so I just hide and hoped he would leave. And he did but first he yelled at me, kicked my door and knocked over my vase saying he would get me that I had messed with the wrong guy and ill pay for it. He seems so scary. I’m terrified his going to actually find me, you don’t think his hurt the boy do you? “
“I don’t know, but we’ll figure it out. He won’t hurt you ok?” I looked down into her eyes and made sure she understood. She nodded weakly, “Jane, I’m have to go interview a suspect right now...”
She cut me off “oh! I’m so sorry, you have things to do. I should stop troubling you…” she seemed to look around as if feeling out of place all of a sudden.
“No, no your fine I promise.” I reacted out to her hand and she seemed to settle at the touch. Matching her eyes again I reassured her that she was perfectly fine.
I guided her to my desk chair, not wanted to make her sit in the uncomfortable metal chair next to my desk, I handed her a box of tissues as she had begun to tear up. I wanted to just wrap my arms around her, protect her forever. She seems so fragile and weak sitting there, shoulders down her eyes soft with tired. Scared for boy as well as her, knowing her probably the boy more than anything.
“I’ll be right back ok?”
She nodded weakly and I let my hand slip from hers as I went to find Suzan, I hated the feel of letting her go…
Suzan the wonderful women she was promised to stay with Jane and do what she could, I promised her once more id be back very soon and ran off to the scene. Not really wishing to be anywhere but with Jane but knowing I had to find Sarah too…
I tried to wash Jane out of my mind and focus on the case, it was a task that turned out to be really hard. But I did eventually manage.
The man had left a while ago, Sarah could not seem to remember when. Time had all but disappeared as she struggled to free herself.
She didn’t know when he would return or if he would at all, but she didn’t care. Survival mood had kicked and she began to pull against the ropes even harder.
First she tried focusing on her feet, he had removed her shoes and the rope was wrapped multiple times around her ankles. She tried pulling every direction she could mange. Pulling harder, lighter everything she could thing of. But it was hopeless, they had not loosened at all.
She knew that her ankles were know probably badly bruised from all the ware and tear on them and she couldn’t bring herself to pull on them more, the pain was to great.
So she focused on her wrist, they were already throbbing and soar from all her struggling but any amount of pain was worth having her life at this point.
She fought for what seemed like forever. Pulling as hard as she could, trying to reach around her wrist. Do something that would loosen the ropes, she began to wish her bones had never existed. Tires began to soak her blind fold and she tried to cry out once more but again it came out as a muffled, sob.
The pain in her wrist was astronomical, she could feel the black and purple bruises she knew were there and most tires came as she felt the warmth of her blood surround and drip down her wrists.
It soaked into the wiry rope and seemed to dig even deeper into her exposed skin. She began to doubt how much more she could take. If she was ever going to live through this after all….

I don’t really investigate murders and this one would have nothing to do with me but it’s possible that the victim, Adam Zone murder could have a connection to Sarah and sense she’s a missing persons case they take not time to let that connection be made, where it in fact is connected or not.
Maybe I should put out a missing persons watch on the boy Jane had tried to help…. My mind had begun to drift again. No john focus.
Alright, so the connection that is there is that Adam is one of Bills well known clients, not because he had lots of money or had just one some huge case with Bill. Actually, it was the opposite; Adam had just lost a case, with Bill defending him. Adam had been accused of child abuse and lost curiosity of his children, a boy 5 and a little girl 3. It wasn’t that Adam had lost the case that made it so known to the community, it was somewhat expected. It was his reaction when he did loss it that gave us all chills.
Once the verdict was read, Adam simply thanked the judge, shook the prosecutors hand and left the court room without a word. No one understand it after how present he had been during the hearing, his emotions like an open book as he pleaded with the judge to let him have his kids, at least with practical curiosity.
So when he just left, no one got it. Do one saw much of him after that, it was almost like he had become a ghost. There’d be sightings of him going to work, getting groceries and that was it. He keep very much so to himself after that.
I arrived on scene and it definitely was not a pretty sight. Most of Adams blood had completely left his body and had caused massive red stains on the living room carpet, seeping under the couch and leaking down the nearby stairs.
I would be shocked if there wasn’t any blood left in the man at this rate.
His head was basted multiple times and he had scratches and cuts all over his body. His visible hand was bleed out and bruised, shire signs of a struggle and self-defense where everywhere. His other hand was wrapped under his body and he was laying half on his stomach, face down. His ankle was turned out, probably broken and the room around him wasn’t to silent either.
The glass coffee table was shattered, couch ruffed up. A blue flower pot lay near the kitchen door, with a good sized chip in it, and remises of blood covering its white flowered design.
Two large booted foot impressions had been left in the carpet next to the body. Blood was splattered on the walls and near by the desk and sofa.
The room was about 14 by 20 feet in size, the front door broken open was on the left southern wall, the broken coffee table and couch to the right. The right, eastern wall had stairs leading down to the basement where blood had begun to drip. There was a dresser and then the opening to the kitchen on the northern wall. The western wall was more plan with just a window but based on the blood splatter someone had been knocked into it or pushed up against it in the struggle.
The body was lying in the right, middle of the room. His legs under the broken coffee table and the crown of his head pointed to the kitchen door and flower pot.
There was no doubt in any of my fellow officers or my mind that this had been one hell of a battle, one that won on any grounds. There was nothing clean about this scene. It was brutal and in ranged. Whoever killed him did not like him at all.
I walked over to the corner, carefully avoiding the blood, shattered glass, and wood splinters.
“Hey Ben, can you tell what officially did him in yet?”
Ben was a nice fella, always polite but also demanded a since of respect and space to work. His job isn’t easy and officers often expect too much whether it be answers that don’t exist or just simply reports without anywhere near enough time to take them.
It isn’t like bodies come with a tag that tells a detailed explanation of what happened to the victim in order, time stamped and where it may be found on the corpse. That’s just not how it works. I got that so I try to do my best not to push.
“Naw, I think it might be this blow to his skull but it’s hard to tell…” ben replied well lightly showing me the shredded skull on the back of Adams head.
“Gotcha, well thanks” I smiled at him, “keep me updated?”
“Yea, sure,” he smiled up at me with his country style wide grin.
My phone rang, and nodding at Ben in thanks I carefully walked outside to answer.
“Yea agent Brent here.”
The small voice of Catherine came through the receiver, her voice sounded dry and tired.
“I’m sorry”
“For what Ms. Catherine?” was she confessing? No, she didn’t know Adam… for some other hand in Sarah’s case maybe?
“For everything.” She definitely wasn’t opening up.
“Miss. Catherine what happened? What are you sorry for?”
“It’s because I love him, I did it because I love him… I’m so sorry?”
“Love who? Who’s him?”
“Bill, Bill Mont. I love Bill Mont.”
I needed to get her off the phone get whatever she was saying in person/writing. I don’t know if she’ll repeat it again and a call won’t hold up in court.
“Where are you miss.?”
“A hotel..”
“Are you not in town? Oh, f***. She might have ran. That’s really bad…
“No, I don’t think so… I don’t really know where I am, I was so scared… I just kept driving…”
“Alright I need you to do to things for me, ok?”
“Alright…” her voice was soft.
“First, you need to tell me if you know if anyone is in imitating danger?”
“They’re not really in danger… I think there died actually…”
Wait, who Sarah? “Who?”
“Adam Zone, I say him.. There was blood everywhere. I had to run, get out of there…” oh, she had found this crime scene.
“Alright Miss Catherine, the second thing I need you to do is come back. You need to see me as soon as you get home ok? Don’t go anywhere else, straight to my office.”
“Ok”
“Do you know how to get home?”
“Um… well I can ask the man in the office.”
“Ok that’s good, and do you have a way home?”
“Yes, my cars here…” she sounded so weak.
“Alright, well I’ll see you in my office very soon ok?”
“Alright…”
“Alright miss Catherine, thank you for calling me. Ill see you soon alright.”
I hung up the phone and stood there numb for a moment.
Catherine, Bill’s secretary is in love with him. Did something she regrets because of that love. And for some reason came to Adam Zone house, and happened to find him died…
Wow, I can’t wait until I get that whole story…
I headed back to my vehicle. I needed to return to the office. Be ready. Plus I need to get back to Jane. Jane… on the way I figured out my best quick plan to protect her.

When I entered the office she looked up, and met my eyes immediately. Smiling, I got the feeling that she had been watching the door for me.
I want over and relieved Susan sitting down to Jane. “How are you?”
“I’ve been better.” She paused a moment “Susan’s a very wonderful women” she looked in the direction Susan had left, Still always about others.
“Can I ask you a few questions?”
“Yea sure” she looked back to me; she did seem a little better. Her tires had been whipped and she was sitting just a bit taller. Her eyes not as said, a tint of happiness there… I wonder what she and Susan had discussed… I’d have to find out later.
“Do you remember the man’s face? Or the boys?”
She smiled as if she knew something I didn’t.
“What?” I was puzzled.
“I already testified and they drew sketches… Susan thought it would be good to get it out and I did. They’ve sent out PBs on the both of them...”
“Oh…” I wasn’t expecting that. “Well than maybe I don’t have any questions for you” I felt the need to laugh but I wasn’t sure if it was a good idea. She fixed that for me though, her lips pulled up in a playful smile and she giggled at me. There was no stopping the smile that straightened my face; I had missed her laugh so much. But I never realized how much until now.
“I do have one order though, and you really don’t have a choice in the matter.”
“Oh?” her brow pulled together puzzled.
“You’re staying me with me tonight and maybe for a while. Until this man’s caught, I’m not letting you out of my site.” Her lips pulled into a smile again, “what?” I was very serious; I don’t care if we’re not together. She is not leaving my sight; nothing is happing to her…
“Still so protective” her smiled stayed how I could not be. Look at how amazing you are… I wanted to say it but I didn’t.
“Of course” I smiled politely back. I needed to let myself realize that her coming back doesn’t mean she’s Coming back.
We waited for Catherine till late, but I couldn’t keep Jane here like this all night. She needed to rest, her soft lips would never whisper a word of it or ask for anything but I could see it in her domineer.
“Alright, let’s head home. I can have the office call if she comes. You need the sleep”
She looked up puzzled “oh, no it’s fine. You need to stay.”
“Jane, I promise its fine, let’s get you home.” and I lead her to the door.
As I opened her door to let her step in and walked around to my side my mind flashed back to all the days before that I have don’t the same thing. All the dinners and picnics the family outing and special occasions. Her beautiful black dress the day I took her to prom, Years ago. The imagine of her in shimmering black, hair pulled back in light waves was the first time id ever seem her dressed up. And it was breath taking…
As I pulled out of the stations lot she seemed to relax back into her chair and I fought the urge to turn and watch her as I always used too. We drove in silence for a few blocks until her remising voice broke through my thoughts…
“Do you ever miss it?” she turned to watch my expression, “being with me?”
I turned to see her eyes searching mine, “all the time.”
She turned back to look out the wind shield, and I watched her for a moment before looking back at the road as a silence broke back over us…
This time I broke it, I know I should say it. But I had to, she had to know. “I never got over you; you’re still the only one…”
My heart raced, I wasn’t sure if I dared look at her, she hadn’t spoken and I wanted to see her face…
“It’s been years…” she spoke in a distance voice.
My heart sunk, “you have moved on than…” it wasn’t really a question, her answer told me everything….
I felt her eyes on me, “your hoping I haven’t?”
It took me forever to respond, and when I did it almost hurt, “yes, I hoped I hadn’t lost you. Not as much as it’s felt like I have…”
She didn’t speak for a long while, we had gotten to my house and I pulled into the drive way, Turned off the engine. But I couldn’t face her, I kept my view forward…
Her voice was small when it came, but I could feel her heart in every word. “I haven’t moved on, I still love you.”
My heart seemed to race even more, get even louder. I didn’t think it was even possible.
I slowly turned to face her, I couldn’t believe it. But as I met her eyes, saw the truth in them. The same, heartfelt look id seen so many times before. I knew it was true.
I couldn’t stop myself, I don’t even remember doing it but I leaned forward and pulled her into a hard, emotional kiss…
As the emotional high settled and we began to think, we rationed to not jump into it to quickly and spent the rest of the night just talking and catching up. I would have loved to jump right back into it, start back right where we left off but I know she would need it to be slow and I a cant argue that it’s not a good idea. When it got to about three, and I knew she needed it. I kissed her head good night and headed to the couch to lay down.

I was awoke by my pager, and then the call that Catherine had gotten into town and like I had asked went start to the station and was there waiting for me. I told them I’d be in a.s.a.p. and forced myself up, my body felt a little sore from sleeping on the couch and then I remembered why I was there. And it was worth the couch, she deserved the bed anyways. I felt terrible leaving her there, I looked down at my watch and discovered it was 4:30 and I had only been sleeping maybe an hour and a half. I wondered when Jane might awake and hoped I could be back before than… still I left here a gentle note on the throw pillow next to her and kissed her gently goodbye.
Arriving at the station I found Catherine wearing the same pink blouse and black skirt she had at bill’s office early yesterday. It was hard to recognize her now though, she looked disheveled, obviously distort. Her blouse was visibly cried on and was still now soaking up the tears as she sat waiting in the integration room. Her dark makeup had all but left her face, and her hair was a disaster traveling ever direction possible. She looked weak, her shoulders doubled over. Her whole body limp, I was shocked she was holding herself up in a chair at all.
As I entered the room, she seemed to slump even weaker in her chair in shame. Shifting a bit uncomfortably I noticed that her black kitten heels had been set aside as if carried in as a opposed to walked in.
The small integration room was all white, with one metal table right in the middle and two hard metal chairs on either side. In no way built for comfort it more gave the feel that you were now in prison.
Actually back in the 60s when the station was built they intently designed the integration rooms to be the regulation size of prison cells at that time. This was then used as an integration technique where you would attempt to scare the suspect into confession by telling them that is what they will have to live in when they get served their time. And of course you always threaten them with the maximum amount of time they could possible get for their exact crime.
In some cases the scarier you are and the thought of what you can do and put them through is the best tool in the end. But in other cases, in cases like this one, sympathy is my friend. It won’t help anything to scare Miss. Catherine now. It would probably end up in her shouting up for good or going into a mental collapse and possible never talking again.
As I sat I flipped on the tape recorder hidden under the table. I told her it was there and she responded with a weakened…
“I don’t care anymore”
“Ok” I replied lightly, “tell me everything”
Her eyes had been glued to the table before, and now they came up to meet mine.
“I’m sorry, I was very wrong in everything I’ve done.”
“And what’d you do?”
She seemed to take a deep breath. Steady herself “I helped kidnap Sarah Mcanerny.”
Complete shock set in, I was expecting something to the case. But somehow not that. I forced my body to remain cool and composed on the outside.
“Ok Catherine, you need to tell me where Sarah is than…”
“I don’t know, I just helped Adam be able to find her. Like told him where she would be and stuff… his one that took her.”
“Alright, do you know what Adam planned to do with Sarah?”
The looked that crossed her face than was indescribable. You could see the shame and terrier written so clearly across her face…
“Kill her”
Oh no…
“Does anyone else know about this? Did you tell anyone?”
Her eyes had fallen to the table again and she just nodded her head…
Adam’s killer… someone who probably now wanted or has Sarah… I was back on the clock.
“Who?” I asked her urgently.
She looked up at me slowly… “Bill Mont.”
Bingo.
“Alright Catherine stay here, an officer will be in, in a minute.”
“Ok.”
I got up and went for the door but as I opened it…
“John?”
“Yes?” I spun back around.
“Is Bill the one that killed Adam?”
Probably, I couldn’t tell her much though…
“I don’t know yet, maybe.” And I walked out and ran to my car, calling back up on the way.
My mind was racing and I tried to prepare myself for anything. But no matter what my one goal was Sarah, to find her and bring her back to safety.
When I got to Bill’s home, I flow out of the car and approached the house quickly but with caution, gun pulled. I banged on the door and yelled for bill to open.
Back up was on the way but I couldn’t take the chance of waiting.
“Bill Mont! This is the police! Come out of the house!”
There was a chance he wasn’t home yes, but I had a feeling he was.
I tried the handle but it was locked, I stepped back and warned that I was coming in. unloading five, precise shoots into his dead bolt and kicked in the door.
I found myself standing in a large hallway going straight back to the end of the house. Brightly lit by windows the living room was to my right and giant beautiful wood stairs were on my left.
The dining room at the end of the hall was blocked by a crying bill Mont with a gun to his head.
“Drop the weapon!” I yelled, as I looked down lightly to find Sarah Mcanerny, lying died on the floor in a puddle of blood. And my heart sank, I had failed.
“Bill Mont, drop your weapon and put your hands on your head.”
He shook his head no, a cross of regret and determination set on his face, “I’m going with her; I have to be with her.” His voice was desperate.
“Bill, put the gun down and tell me what happened. We’ll work this out…”
“No way! I’m going to jail for the rest of my life. I killed her!” fresh tears broke through his soaked eyes “I didn’t mean to kill her… she was trying to run from me, I didn’t want to shoot her…”
“Ok bill, you need to put the gun down.”
“I killed Adam too you know. He took her, he was going to kill her… did it with my own bare hands. He deserved it.”
This guy would be great for the insanity plea…
“Look bill…”
“No!” he screamed at me “I’m not going to jail, I going to Sarah!”
And with that the gun rang out and bill Mont’s died body fell to the floor and the quiet damp morning silenced from the noise…



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.