The Identical Souls | Teen Ink

The Identical Souls

By Yanyolives BRONZE, thornton, Colorado
Yanyolives BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

Why Did you kiss me if you didnt love me
You told me you loved me and i did too the only diffrence was i didnt lie to you

I’m only child and as you might be thinking yes I’m spoiled. I’m a freshman and, I live in California in a three floor, yellow house . “Agustina Portillo!” I heard Lupe scream. O no didn’t I thought the maid isn’t going to yell at me like that who she thinks she is. “What!” I yelled back in a very angry voice. I didn’t receive a answer back, so I banged my feet against the floor as I marched down stairs angry but curious too, to know what was going on. After dealing with 52 stairs, I found a lady and a young girl sitting in the living room with my parents. Before Lupe had a chance to leave I left it clear to her she couldn’t talk to me like that because she was the maid. I sat next to my father and in a whisper voice I asked him what was going on. “Agustina, this is Ms. Garcia from the orphan house.” My father started “Um okay keep on going.” I asked them “So after two tear of investigation we came to an end that Gladis is your fathers lost daughter.” Ms. Garcia said Gladis looked as if she was my age, she had dark black hair and green eyes like me. She smiled blankly at me and looked down at the floor as if she were embarrassed. “No, Ms. you don’t have the accurate information.” I told her back “Agustina, you like it or not Gladis is your sister and she’s coming to live with us.” My father added I looked blankly at Gladis she looked a lot like me, it was as if we were identical. Gladis looked nice and I really didn’t want to be mean to her, but I had to admit I didn’t want her in my house or being part of my family either. Everybody was quiet until my father broke the silence. “Agustina I want you to show Gladis around the house please.” My father asked me “Sure why not.” I answered back “Come on Gladis.” I told Gladis .I tugged her to come with me. She really didn’t hesitate and came right along. “This is the kitchen and this is the living room.” I told her as I looked over at her There was no answer back from her, she looked at everything with such a joy. Her smile was exactly like mine. “Hey you don’t need to know all this let me show you up to your room.” I told her in a kind way She nodded and followed me up the stairs. As puffed and huffed like all the time because the darn stairs Gladis had a bright smile on her face like the one she had earlier. “This is your room.” I told her Like always she just nodded. I sat on the bed and kept on observing her. “Hey can I ask you a question” I asked her “Sure.” She replied “How long were you an orphan?” I asked her with so much curiosity “I cant hardly remember.” “When’s your birthday.” I asked her eagerly “ August 3” She answered “ O my gosh same as mine! What year?” I asked back “1995..why?” She answered back but seemed amused “ Because my birthday is August 3, 1995, Gladis there something wrong, there’s too much in common between you and I.” I told her in a worried emotion. “Like what.” She said “Haven’t you noticed we are like identical, our birthdates are the same, your smile…Gladis have you not wondered we could be twin sisters?” I told her She looked at me blankly. I pulled her arm and ran down stairs into the living room were Ms Garcia, and my parents were sitting and filling out some papers. “You guys Gladis and I are twin sisters!” I yelled “What?” They all three asked me “Do you guys not see it Gladis and I are identical, both our birthdates are August 3, 1995!” I told them.Everybody just stared at both of us as if they saw something extraordinary or something strange. I waved my hand in front of them but I didn’t get an answer back. Ms. Garcia quickly looked through her papers in a hurry. “You guys are right, you guys do have the same birthdates and are identical, what if we call the hospital you guys were both born at?” She asked us. “Santa Barbra Hospital!” Both my mom and Ms. Garcia said together. Was it possible that Gladis was my moms daughter too, is it possible they took Gladis from my moms arms at birth, I asked my self. Gladis wouldn’t say a word instead she looked scared. I went over to hug her and told her. “Hey everything is going to be okay… and we are twins sister.” She just smiled at me. Seems to me that I’m the loud one of the two sisters and Gladis is the innocent one. We went to the Santa Barbra Hospital and yes what I thought was true. My dad called the cops, he was sure not going to let it go “Hey yes this is Agustin Portillo, and I just want to make an accusment against Santa Barbra Hospital for not returning my daughter at birth fourteen years ago.” He hung up and got a hold of both Gladis and I and hugged is tight, so tight I think I could have farted right there in front of everybody.

At the tip of my eye I could see you looking at me. That made me happy, to know after everything that has happened you still like me. “Agustina!” I Heard Someone Holler from the other side of the hallway of Beverly Hills High. “I turned around and saw Rodrigo running towards me. I Kept walking I didn’t want Rodrigo not one bit close to me. He really thinks that because my cousin is out of town he can mess with me will I don’t think so. As soon as I walked into class I see my best friend Camille sleeping on the desk.
“Camille Flores!” I yelled at the top of my lungs.

She woke up like a snap. Her eyes were red and her nose was runny.
“ Camille are you okay?” I asked her.
I knew she wasn’t okay but I had to ask first.
“Ugh don’t even ask Agustina…just come sit down with because class is about to start.
Camille was acting all grumpy for the rest of the day. I just couldn’t keep up with her. I Just wanted to slap her or something if I hold back was because she’s my best friend.

I’m only child and as you might be thinking yes I’m spoiled. I’m a freshman and, I live in California in a three floor, yellow house .
“Agustina Portillo!” I heard Lupe scream.
O no didn’t I thought the maid isn’t going to yell at me like that who she thinks she is.
“What!” I yelled back in a very angry voice.
I didn’t receive a answer back, so I banged my feet against the floor as I marched down stairs angry but curious too, to know what was going on.
After dealing with 52 stairs, I found a lady and a young girl sitting in the living room with my parents. Before Lupe had a chance to leave I left it clear to her she couldn’t talk to me like that because she was the maid. I sat next to my father and in a whisper voice I asked him what was going on.
“Agustina, this is Ms. Garcia from the orphan house.” My father started
“Um okay keep on going.” I asked them
“So after two tear of investigation we came to an end that Gladis is your fathers lost daughter.” Ms. Garcia said
Gladis looked as if she was my age, she had dark black hair and green eyes like me. She smiled blankly at me and looked down at the floor as if she were embarrassed.
“No, Ms. you don’t have the accurate information.” I told her back
“Agustina, you like it or not Gladis is your sister and she’s coming to live with us.” My father added
I looked blankly at Gladis she looked a lot like me, it was as if we were identical. Gladis looked nice and I really didn’t want to be mean to her, but I had to admit I didn’t want her in my house or being part of my family either. Everybody was quiet until my father broke the silence.
“Agustina I want you to show Gladis around the house please.” My father asked me
“Sure why not.” I answered back
“Come on Gladis.” I told Gladis .I tugged her to come with me. She really didn’t hesitate and came right along.
“This is the kitchen and this is the living room.” I told her as I looked over at her
There was no answer back from her, she looked at everything with such a joy. Her smile was exactly like mine.
“Hey you don’t need to know all this let me show you up to your room.” I told her in a kind way
She nodded and followed me up the stairs. As puffed and huffed like all the time because the darn stairs Gladis had a bright smile on her face like the one she had earlier.
“This is your room.” I told her
Like always she just nodded. I sat on the bed and kept on observing her.
“Hey can I ask you a question” I asked her
“Sure.” She replied
“How long were you an orphan?” I asked her with so much curiosity
“I cant hardly remember.”
“When’s your birthday.” I asked her eagerly
“ August 3” She answered
“ O my gosh same as mine! What year?” I asked back
“1995..why?” She answered back but seemed amused
“ Because my birthday is August 3, 1995, Gladis there something wrong, there’s too much in common between you and I.” I told her in a worried emotion.
“Like what.” She said
“Haven’t you noticed we are like identical, our birthdates are the same, your smile…Gladis have you not wondered we could be twin sisters?” I told her
She looked at me blankly. I pulled her arm and ran down stairs into the living room were Ms Garcia, and my parents were sitting and filling out some papers.
“You guys Gladis and I are twin sisters!” I yelled
“What?” They all three asked me
“Do you guys not see it Gladis and I are identical, both our birthdates are August 3, 1995!” I told them.Everybody just stared at both of us as if they saw something extraordinary or something strange. I waved my hand in front of them but I didn’t get an answer back. Ms. Garcia quickly looked through her papers in a hurry.
“You guys are right, you guys do have the same birthdates and are identical, what if we call the hospital you guys were both born at?” She asked us.
“Santa Barbra Hospital!” Both my mom and Ms. Garcia said together.
Was it possible that Gladis was my moms daughter too, is it possible they took Gladis from my moms arms at birth, I asked my self. Gladis wouldn’t say a word instead she looked scared. I went over to hug her and told her.
“Hey everything is going to be okay… and we are twins sister.”
She just smiled at me. Seems to me that I’m the loud one of the two sisters and Gladis is the innocent one. We went to the Santa Barbra Hospital and yes what I thought was true. My dad called the cops, he was sure not going to let it go
“Hey yes this is Agustin Portillo, and I just want to make an accusment against Santa Barbra Hospital for not returning my daughter at birth fourteen years ago.”
He hung up and got a hold of both Gladis and I and hugged is tight, so tight I think I could have farted right there in front of everybody.

Today is October 1, 2009 and today is Gladis first day at Beverly Hills High. We both walked through the front entrance door. I knew most people were staring at us but that didn’t bother me.
“Why is everybody staring so much?” Gladis asked me
“Just ignore them, there just amazed at how we are identical.” I told her back
In first class Camille walked up to us and just stared and even glimpsed with a little fright.
“She’s my long lost twin sister, we were separated at birth.” I told Camille
“She’s your what?” She hesitated
“My twin sister looser.” I told her back
She didn’t say another word but I noticed Camille didn’t get a thing or like a thing about this. Gladis just looked scared, well it wasn’t a surprise. From far away I can see Rodrigo observing both of us.
“Hey Agustina!” Jonny yelled
“Hey bro, come here.” I yelled back
“Look this is my long lost twin sister Gladis.” I told him
“Oh, will nice to meet you honey.”
“Gladis this is your cousin Jonathan Portillo.” I quickly told Gladis
“Oh nice to meet you too.” She said back with one of those special smiles she always has.
At lunch, I noticed Rodrigo didn’t go to bother me today, I’m not sure is it’s because of Gladis or because my brother Jonny is back. I saw that Rodrigo attempted to go up to us but Jonny stopped him by pushing him back. I wonder why Rodrigo didn’t hit back. After school Rodrigo ran after us.
“Hey who is she?’ He asked
“Does it matter!” I yelled back
I looked at him his cute little face gave it up
“She’s my long lost twin sister, and you better keep away from her.” I told him in a strong voice.
Gladis just looked at him in a shy way. As our shofer Donald drove us home Gladis asked something that made me worry.
“Hey Agustina, who is that handsome boy we saw after school?” She asked
“Oh, he’s Rodrigo Guzman, and he’s my ex boyfriend, but he’s always bothering me. Why the question?” I asked her
“Just Asking…” She said back in a quiet, gentle voice
I worried that Gladis liked Rodrigo and that Rodrigo liked her, after all me and her are identical. I looked down at my hands, they couldn’t like each other I still loved Rodrigo. Rodrigo is still the love of my life. At dinner that night my father asked Gladis how her day was.
“It was awesome father.” She Answered
“Oh please don’t call me father, please call me dad.” My father asked
“Okay!” She is said in a very pleasant way
She seemed happy about almost everything, I wonder how her life was back in the orphan house.

My Quinceanera was coming up not this August but next August. I knew exactly my dad was going to want me to share my party with Gladis. This sucked I have been planning my party since I was 11 all on my own.
“Hey Gladis so Agustina’s Quinceanera is coming up, so I was thinking that maybe you could have yours with her, you know a double fifteen.” My dad mentioned
“Yes I would like that why not.” Gladis said all exited and hot up
Gladis pulled me up to my room and pushed me against the bed.
“So what color is our fifteen going to be?” She asked
“Um, Pink and Purple.” I told her
“Uuu I want to wear the purple one please.” she told me
“Nooo I’m wearing the purple one GLADIS!” I yelled angrily
“Please!” She hesitated
Her eyes were filled with tears of disappointment
“What if we make both our dresses purple with a little of pink so it even, Deal?” I asked her
“Deal!” She said back
This was the first thing Gladis would ruin, my dream.
“ Agustina ! Gladis!” I Heard Lupe Yell up the stairs
We ran down stairs and found Rodrigo sitting on the couch.
“O God Rodrigo just leave me alone for Jesus Crises.” I told him
“I’m not looking for you Agustina, I’m looking for your sister Gladis.” He Said
Gladis smiled and sat next to him at the snap of his fingers. I couldn’t believe it. I ran up stairs and slammed the door behind me.
“DAD!” I yelled as I went down stairs to the kitchen
“What’s wrong honey?” He asked
“You need to get rid of Gladis now, I don’t her here in my house with my family or with my guy! MAKE HER LEAVE!” I screamed
My dad walked right past me into the living room were Gladis was with Rodrigo.
“RODRIGO!” My dad yelled
At my dad’s voice Rodrigo knew what was happening and got up and left. Gladis just stared at dad.
“What!” Gladis yelled
“Gladis Portillo, you cant ever see that guy ever again she’s your sister’s ex boyfriend!” my father made it clear to her
“Okay.” Gladis answered with tears in her eyes
Gladis got up and ran upstairs
“Agustina…promise me you won’t bring up this subject with her.” Dad told me
“Okay I won’t dad but she knew he was my ex boyfriend and she still did what she did.” I told my dad
My dad just looked down and went back to the kitchen, I could hear him and my mother arguing. I went up to my room and called Camille.
“ O MY GOSH CAMILLE, Gladis is evil she just wants to destroy my life, she wants to get with Rodrigo”
“Agustina just relax….you and I are going to make her life miserable first don’t worry.”
I felt relived to here that Camille was on my side and not Gladis. The next day I didn’t wake up Gladis to school. She over slept and didn’t have time to get ready, her hair was messy and oh did she look ugly. On our way to school she kept on try to fix her hair but it was no use.
“Hahaha!” I laughed out loud all of a sudden
I Just couldn’t keep it in I had to laugh. She glared at me but didn’t say nothing at all. When we got to school I really didn’t wait for her she was on her own today. At lunch she sat alone not even Rodrigo sat with her. Before we got on the truck to go home, Rodrigo ran up to Gladis and kissed her ad Gladis sure didn’t reject it. I pulled Gladis hair and slapped her. Gladis as always trying to be so innocent she just touched her cheek.
“What’s your problem!” Rodrigo yelled
“You’re my problem stupid idiot!” I yelled at him
I pulled Gladis into the truck. Donald didn’t say anything he knew exactly the type of person Gladis was.

That night during dinner Gladis snitched on me.
“Dad it has come to my concern to inform you that Agustina attacked me today after school!” Gladis informed my father
“What Happened Agustina?” My dad almost yelled
“She kissed Rodrigo and she knows she has to stay away from him” I told him
“Gladis, you are grounded for a month, but so are you Agustina.” My dad told us
“What! Did we do.” We both yelled at him
“Gladis you for kissing your sister’s ex boyfriend and Agustina you for hitting your sister!” he grouched at us
I got up the table and went up to my bedroom. I really had to get rid of Gladis. Something came to mind. I sneaked into Gladis’s bedroom and put a snack under her bed cover.
“AHHHH!” I heard Gladis yell from her bedroom
I ran into Gladis’s room with my parents and Lupe. The snake had bitten Gladis’s leg. Gladis was pale. O gosh now I feel bad. My father picked her up and took her to the hospital. I don’t know what went wrong. Gladis was dieing the doctor said the poison had reached a lot of part of her body and that she needed a transplant of an organ.
“Mr. Portillo and Ms Portillo, you both need to take a test to see if you are capable to donate your dear daughter Gladis Portillo an organ.” The doctor informed my parents
“Yes we sure will.” Both my parents said
At the bad news that neither of my parents would be able to donate the organ to Gladis everybody looked over at me.
“Agustina, will you be willing to loan a organ to your sister Gladis?” The doctor asked me
This was my chance to get forgiveness from god for what I had done to Agustina.
“Yes I’m willing to donate her an organ.”
My mothers face lit up of happiness.
“Fernanda and Agustin Portillo please sign here giving permission for your daughter Agustina Portillo to donate an organ to Gladis Portillo.”
My parents signed, while they took me to get ready. I was scared but I was doing something kind and I had to do it even though I don’t like Gladis my blood still runs through her veins. After the operation everything was just fine Gladis was okay and so was I. When Gladis woke up she asked who put that snake in her bedroom.
“Nobody did honey.” My father told him
“Gladis you needed an extra organ and your sister Agustina loaned you an organ. Gladis put her hand across her face and asked were I was.
“Agustina is in the other room she’ll be down here in a couple of hours.” My mother answered her
I wasn’t able to see Gladis until the next day.
“Hey Gladis how are you feeling?” I asked her
“I’m good how do you feel?” She answered back
“I’m fine.” I told her
“Umm thanks for donating me your organ I really appreciate it.” She told me
“No problem.” I answered back
Gladis didn’t seem to be putting something mean to do against me but I still had to watch out, Gladis is very smart.

Maybe me and Gladis can start over with a clean slate. When we got home from the hospital, I requested to take to my sister in my bedroom. Lupe, helped her in my room.
“Come here Gladis sit next to me.” I told her
“Look Gladis I don’t think me and you had a really good start, maybe you and I can start over.” I asked her
She looked at me “Yes we should, and I promise I’ll leave Rodrigo alone no more kissing him I wont even talk to him.” She told me
I hugged her and hoped everything around here would change.
The next day at school we sat together in first period. I saw Rodrigo looked surprised to see Gladis and I were together. I found my self smiling at him. Rodrigo walked up to us and sat at our table.
“So tell me what got you guys together again?” He asked both of us
“Leave!” We both yelled at him
He kissed me and then kissed Gladis. Jonathan came over to our table and with out even saying anything he punched him right in the face. Rodrigo responded back with a little push.
“DON’T BE SUCH A LITTLE PUSSY!” Jonathan yelled at him
Rodrigo just ran out the class room, Jonathan followed him. As you guys might be thinking yes Jonny was in big trouble he got suspended and so did Rodrigo

The next day when we arrived to school everything changed. A handsome guy walked up to Gladis and introduced him self.
“Hi I’m Emanuel Prieto and you must be Gladis Portillo.” He said
“Yes I am, and this is my twin sister Agustina Portillo.” She told him
Behind Emanuel was another boy that was identical to Emanuel.
“Look Agustina, this is my twin brother German Prieto.”
“Nice to meet you!” I told German
Both Gladis and I knew what this meant.
“So does a movie sound good?” Emanuel asked us
“Sure!” We both said
I helped Gladis curl her hair that night I let her borrow clothes, she looked gorgeous.
“Girls!” Lupe called
We ran down stairs to find those handsome twin boys. Our father greeted both of them and had a huge smile on his face he seemed happy that both Gladis and I got along and that the twins were such good gentlemen.After the movie I couldn’t find Gladis.
“Gladis! Gladis!” I called for her
I didn’t receive an answer
“We should go.” German told me
“German .please help me find my sister it worries me that I cant find her.” I cried
“Relax Agustina, they have to be somewhere around here.” He told me
I had never felt this feeling before it was like my other half was missing. When Emanuel appeared he told us he was looking for Gladis too.
“ Gladis! Please Gladis!” I cried again
When Gladis finally appeared…I hugged her tight while my tears ran down quickly down my cheek.
“Were where you Gladis? I was so worried.”
“I though I saw the lady that took me to the orphan house..Agustina!” She told me
“ I thought you couldn’t remember when you got to the orphan house Gladis?” I asked her
“I know I didn’t but this lady gave me so many memories.” She said back
“LOOK SH’S RIGHT THERE!” Gladis yelled
Emanuel and German got a hold of her, I called the cops and Gladis called dad.
Everything turned out alright. The lady’s name was Rosa Alvarez and she had worked at Santa Barbra Hospital thirteen almost fourteen years ago. At her declaration she said that she had gotten paid to take one of the Portillo baby girls away from her mother at birth to get a couple million dollars for her. Rosa Alvarez is going to jail for thirty-seven years but she sure deserves it.

Eight long years since I found my long lost twin sister. Both Gladis and I married “Ha-ha” to the Prieto brothers. I now have a daughter and my sister does too, Miranda and Fernanda. I live happy here at Beverly Hills, having all my family around! After so many years Rodrigo Guzman never ever bothered either my sister or I again. I guess he learned his lesson that you cant mess with two identical souls.