My Quest To Be an "It Girl" | Teen Ink

My Quest To Be an "It Girl"

By lizziernr BRONZE, Manhasset, New York
lizziernr BRONZE, Manhasset, New York

Pulling away from my hometown, I knew that there was no turning back. I was leaving all that I had grown to love. Based on the glimpse that I got of my new home, it didn’t seem like my love for wild animals and art would fit in too well. I had taken a tour of my new school last Spring and from what I saw, Bridge Hampton seemed to be a breeding place of jocks and rich kids. My family on the other hand, fell absolutely in love with it. They were determined for me to fit in there. I knew that it would just be for a year. I was heading to a boarding school in Maine right after, so I was open to being a new person. After I leave here, I am hoping to return to my normal awkward, outdoorsy self. But in this preppy, rich town, only time would tell who I would be,
The first week was about research. I know that sounds stalkerish but that’s really all I did. It was like walking into a different world. Before moving, I spent my time sketching, studying and hiking with my family. I knew that being “the new girl Juliana from the middle of nowhere” would be unavoidable, but I was trying to avoid the nature freak part. I needed to make changes. Clothing, makeup, hair, a new computer and a Facebook. It was all or nothing, and I was ready to make a splash here.
I quickly realized that this wasn’t going to be easy. Reinventing myself to be the “it girl” meant changing everything. The first day of my makeover was spend at J-Crew. I knew my old T-shirts and ragged jeans wouldn’t cut it. Surprisingly, I actually really liked the way I looked in the flowery skirts and colorful sweaters. The next day I completed the look with a hair straightener and a trip to Sephora. The rest of the time was spent catching up with the electronics obsessed generation. Once my parents realized how behind the times our family was, they were willing to catch us up. I came back from the apple store with a brand new laptop and I-phone. In my mind those seemed like all I needed to make it here. Feeling like a different person, I headed out to pick up a pizza, hoping that I’d find someone to be my first new contact. During that walk to Antonio’s Pizza I realized something. “Maybe I had misjudged this place.” It wasn’t until that walk down the boardwalk that I realized how beautiful it was here. While I did love watching the waves calmy break on the shore, that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about Jake Williams. The God walking down the boardwalk next to me.
Jake Williams. Jake Williams. Jake Williams! Every girls dream. He was tan he was strong he was gorgeous. But don’t let me get ahead of my self. I didn’t know his name for at least a week after seeing him for the first time. Suddenly, the fact that I could be whoever I wanted seemed even better. He never met the pimply, chubby Juliana. As far as he knew, I was used to having guys want me. More than ever, I was determined to make this work.

That night I couldn’t get him off my mind. All I wanted was to see him again. That first night, I had no idea how quickly that would happen.

After those first few days, all I had really seen of Bridge Hampton was the boutiques and beaches. But that day, on my way back from a 3 mile run to get in shape for school sports, I was shocked and relieved to spot a familiar 7-Eleven. Face red and dripping with sweat, I walked in. I grabbed an energy drink and got online. While waiting, I was so focused on the huge cramp that developed in my gut; I almost didn’t hear someone start talking to me.
“Hey” He said. I looked up and my heart skipped a beat. The guy behind me in line was the guy from the boardwalk yesterday! And I was… well lets just say not exactly presentable. It had been a while since I ran that long and I wasn’t used to it; my hair was a wreck, the sweat washed my makeup away and my blue exercise top was soaked. To top that off the pain in my stomach was still there. It felt like I got kicked. What a horrible way to make a first impression to a guy who I’m sure was only used to perfect girls.
“Hey” he tried again. “Those energy drinks are only terrible for you after a workout. You sure you don’t just want a Gatorade or water?” Boy did I feel stupid.
“Oh thanks. I probably should have known that but I’m not exactly a big runner as you can probably tell.”
“Not a problem. Glad I could help. I’m Jake by the way.” I couldn’t believe that he was actually talking to me. Keep the conversation going I thought to myself.
“I’m Juliana. I just moved here. I;m starting at Bridge Hampton High next month.”
“Sick. That’s where I go? So has anyone taken you to the wharf yet?” Whoa was this heading where I hoped it was? Relax. Play it cool. Wait. Answer the question!
“Umm… no I uh I actually haven’t even heard of it yet. I haven’t exactly found my way around here yet…” hint hint…
“Well I’d offer to show you all the party spots here but most of my time here is spend jogging or sketching on the beach so I’m not sure I’m your guy.”
No actually I’d love to see your sketching spots. “ Uh oh. I shouldn’t have said that. Now I look like a desperate idiot.
“Yeah I’d love to show you sometimes. You want to give me your number?”
“Of course” I said, quickly checking my phone for my new number and adding it to his (shockingly plain) flip phone. Wanting to quit while I was ahead, I said goodbye, paid for my Gatorade and made a beeline for the door. I could not believe what just happened. The second I got home and saw myself in the mirror I wanted to cry. I looked (and smelled) gross beyond belief. But quickly I realized that if Jake was willing to talk to this Juliana, imagine what he’d do with the new “picture perfect Juliana”. This was going to be amazing.
I wasn’t exactly sure what I was expecting. I was hoping he would come by to pick me up and we’d walk along the beach together. Then maybe we would hold hands, gently splashing in the waves and if everything went perfectly then I could even get my first kiss! It sounded too good to be true. Not wanting to overthink things, I had a quick snack and went to bed.
After that day, all I could do was wait. Thankfully I didn’t have to wait it out for too long. He called me and said he’d come by my house and we could walk down to the beach together. It was perfect. Not wanting to make myself crazy, I didn’t think about my outfit until an hour and a half before he was supposed to come. I decided on a tank top and flowery skirt after only two outfit changes. With straight hair, some blush and a spray of Juicy perfume, I was totally ready for the night of my life.
Fifteen minutes later Jake rang the bell looking adorable as ever. He took me to a group of tocks right by the water. WE talked and laughed and I watched him sketch. We just hung out and got to know each other. Everything was going great until we started walking home. Then things took a turn for the awkward…
“So thanks for coming with my tonight… I’m not totally used to talking to girls yet so I’m sorry if it was a little weird for you.” Oh my God he was nervous too. That makes me feel a little better. But how was he not used to girls? I was sure he was totally experienced.
“Thanks for taking me out. I haven’t exactly made many friends since I’ve been here. Actually, other that you I haven’t really made any friends. “ I saw Jake’s face fall.
“Oh… so does that mean you only want to be friends? I don’t mean to be pushy but I kind of want to know what were doing here. I had a really good time tonight and I like you. So I guess what I’m trying to say is would you want to do this again sometimes? As a date date? Well obviously not this exactly but anything you want. Oh no I’m babbling now. Please shut me up.” So I did shut him up. I kissed him. It wasn’t long or passionate or anything remotely close to that but I did it. I waited for him to respond.
“Wow. “ That was all I got in return but it was enough. WE walked home holding hands and smiling. I was thrilled at how things were turning out. Not to mention what having a gorgeous boyfriend would do for my reputation at my new school. Everything was perfect.
That night, I lied in bed replaying the whole night in my heard. Finally, content with everything that happened, I drifted off to sleep.
The next morning was a rude awakening. Field hockey tryouts were at 9:00. While I had let myself fall slightly behind in my workout I knew I was a very good field hockey player so I wasn’t exactly worried. The week of tryouts I played really well. I told Jake I had to focus so we made plans for Saturday. I was hoping to find some friends in the field hockey girls. Friday afternoon I was thrilled to collapse on our couch. My mom ordered a pizza and I was looking forward to kicking back with some ABC family. That’s why I wasn’t sure how I felt about getting a text inviting me to a party for all the girls who just made the team. Part of me just wanted to chill, but I had to jump on an opportunity to make some new friends.
Throwing on some jean shorts and a simple pink Tee I hoped on my bike and rode into a waterfront part o town that I had never seen before. I pulled up to the house right on tome but I was getting kind of nervous. I mean, nobody here knows me. Thankfully, I only had to be alone for 10 minutes until we played those group games. It was cool to get to know the girls through the questions. Some of the questions in would you rather and never have I ever got pretty personal. I got some info about the people at my new school and told some stories about my friends and guys I knew at home.
After that night I had two days before my first day at school. I spent the time talking to my field hockey friends and Jake about what classes we had. I was thrilled with my lunch. A bunch of my new field hockey friends were in it too. I had classes with Jake also. I hated to admit it but I was looking forward to the start of school, I couldn’t wait for people to meet the new me.
The first three periods of the day weren’t great. I didn’t have any friends in any of those classes. Thankfully, lunch came around and I went to sit with my new field hockey friends. Some of the obnoxious looking girls from my first few classes sat with us too. Surprisingly, they were pretty nice to me. After a while a bunch of the lax guys came over to say hi. Everyone seemed to know each other. My friends introduced me to the guys. The tall blonde guy invited my friend Sarah to meet him for pizza. I freaked when she asked if she could take me too. She said that she wanted me to get out and meet some new people. He smiled and walked away.
“He’ll bring a friend. It’ll be fun. You should come. It’s not a double date so don’t worry.” I told her I’d be there.
But for the rest of the day I worried about it. It wasn’t really a date was it? To make myself feel less guilty I talked to Jake in the hallway after 7th period. I told him that I was hanging with some friends today so we made plans for tomorrow night.
We all went to Antonio’s. Sarah introduced me to the guys. There was Sam, the guy from lunch and his friend Mark who I recognized from first period. The night went great.
When I got home I had a text from Jake saying he was dropping A.P. Social Studies so he might get switched into my lunch. I didn’t think I was going to sit with him, since I loved my table, but getting to see his face more would still be awesome.
I woke up the next morning anxious to see how the obnoxious girls from yesterday were going to treat me now that they know I have friends in the right places. During 1st period I learned two things. First, that their names were Rebecca and Maddy Second, that they loved Sarah and now they love me too. I wanted to ask Sarah what the deal with them at lunch so I was so excited to get to my table, I almost didn’t notice Jake sit down at a table with a bunch of guys that looked like weirdo’s.
“Hey.” I said to Sarah, forgetting about learning about Rebecca and Maddy. “Do me a favor. Do the Mean Girls lunchroom introduction for me. You know, what clique is at each table.”
She laughed and said “Let’s see. We’re pretty much the top of the food chain. Those girls are nice but a little strange and those girls over there are crazy smart. For the boys there’s only two tables. Sam’s table is the jocks” Then she finally got to Jake’s table” And the rest of the boys sit at that table. You know, they are the stereotypical math geek, rubix cube table.” Then she started talking about Jake… “That blonde one in the corner got kind of cute over the summer, its too bad its such a dork.”
At that point I may have laughed with Sarah but inside I was freaking out. I didn’t want to lose my new friends and spend another year at the mathlete table. I was so happy that people finally knew my name. On an impulse I decided then and there that Jake wasn’t worth it and I could do better. At the end of the day I used some stupid line about how “I thought I was ready for a boyfriend but I’m really not” I thought I did what I had to do but then things got weird.
The next morning Rebecca and Maddy totally ignored me. I ran into Sarah in the hallway 2nd period and asked her what was going on. She told me that everyone knew I went out with Jake and although she doesn’t care a lot of the girls on the team and Rebecca and Maddy did. They didn’t want me to sit at their table anymore. Sarah told me I could if I wanted to but she didn’t think they’d acknowledge me.
“I’ll be fine I ‘ll find someone else to sit with for now” That wasn’t true at all. I wasn’t fine at all. After I got myself together and left the bathroom I tried to think of somebody not at my table that I was remotely close to friends with. Unfortunately in my mind I thought that being cool meant being kind of a snob, so I wasn’t talking to a lot of other people from my classes. I spent 3rd period roaming around the school. By the end of lunch I knew what I had to do. I had to be myself. Not my new fake snobby self. I had to be who I was before and handle this like she would; with no thought regarding what it would do to my social status. Scared to death, I found Jake after school. I had rehearsed what I was going to say, but none of that came out.

“Hey. Let me start off my saying I’m sorry. What I said yesterday was a lie and you deserve to know the truth. When I first moved here I fell for you. But at my old school I was a nobody and here I wanted to feel like somebody. I liked you but I didn’t think you were worth Jeopardizing that for me. But now I realize that some things are way more important. Like today, I found out that the people who I thought I was friends with would abandon me the second I wasn’t good enough of pretty enough or funny enough. And when I had nobody to sit with at lunch today I just wanted you to hug me and tell me everything was going to be okay. Because I know that I can trust you. You couldn’t trust me before but now you can. I’m not pretending anymore and I’m sorry that I was. So will you please take me back? We can be together and I won’t care who finds out. “ By this time a crowd had gathered and everyone including me was waiting to hear what Jake was going to say. But he didn’t say anything. He just walked away.
I managed to make my way home holding it together but the second I got alone in my room I began to bawl. I blew it with everyone In jut the first week here. I was going to be the loner of Bridge Hampton High School. I decided I needed to take a walk and get some fresh air. I went to the only peaceful place I knew about, Jake’s sketching spot. The first time I was there I was so focused on Jake that I didn’t notice how private and peaceful it was. I never wanted to leave. I sat there feeling sorry for myself for a while and then I heard someone come up and sit down next to me. For a while, neither Jake nor I said anything.
“Listen. I’m sorry for walking away before but I had no idea how to respond. I really liked you but you totally hurt me. I didn’t know if I could risk that again. But if you promise to take for who I am and be who you are then I’d be willing to give it another shot.” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I thought he hated me.
“This is me” I said “I’m Juliana I love hiking with my family, I like art and I’m kind of a nerd too. Oh and I have an amazing boyfriend named Jake.”

From that day on I sat with Jake at lunch, And about a week later Sarah came to sit with us when she was fed up with all of Rebecca and Maddy’s drama. I had finally realized that it wasn’t the “It girls” who had it all, it was the girls who were surrounded by people that they love.”