My Changed Life | Teen Ink

My Changed Life

By SpiffyGal23 BRONZE, Fairport, New York
SpiffyGal23 BRONZE, Fairport, New York

Do it for Johnny!

Author's note: I was really bored and I watch a lot of shows with some i ideas in this book. So I made a story.

My name is Angela and I‘m 15 years old. I come from a small family, mom dad a little sister, Valerie who is 9 and a little brother Chase who is 3. We live in California in a quaint home. My family was very happy until September 24th the day my parents found out the were broke. This is our story.

“Hey mom! A letter came for you in the mail.” I yelled.

“Thank you honey.” My mom said.

The letter read:

Dear Brenda and Kyle Zimmerman,
This letter is to inform you that you have $20.00 left in your bank account. There has not been any money coming into this account since July 30th. We have no choice but to close this account. Please contact us immediately for further actions.

Thank You,

Eggplant Bank
555-564-6873

My mom was in panic mode, she didn’t know what to do. After about being in shock for ten minutes she called my dad.

“Kyle you need to come home right now.” She desperately said.

“Brenda dear calm down. What happened? Please tell me nothing happened to the kids.”

“No nothing happened to the kids, I just need you to come home.”

My mom sat in complete silence drinking a cup of coffee just waiting. Right when my dad walked in we were all told to go to our rooms. I took Valerie and Chase to their rooms then I came and sat on the stairs and listened to everything.

“Read this letter!”

My dad took it from her hands and read it to himself. The both stood quietly in shock they didn’t know what to do.

“What could that mean? I put every other pay check in the account.”

“And on the weeks you don’t put the check in I do.”

“Kyle! Are you out gambling again?”

“ I….”

“Kyle you said you wouldn’t and now you did and we are broke. What are we going to do?

“Well me and you can go live in a shelter and the kids can go like with my sister.”

“Oh no they wont Josie is the last person I want them to live with. She has to many animals will not be with our kids.”

“Brenda we have no choice that needs to happen and it will be temporary until we find something else.”

At that point I couldn’t take it anymore. Tears were rolling down my eyes I was very scared. I went to my room and cried for hours. Then I needed to talk to someone. Called my boyfriend Jason. Told him everything my parents said, told him what is going to happen and he tried to calm me down but that didn’t work so much. Later that night he came to my house will a plate of cookies and we talked about everything.

There was no sleeping for me that night. I couldn’t help but think about what was going to happen. And all night my mom and dad were fighting. They disagree on a lot of things lately and they have no idea what to do about this, well they do but they don’t agree. I dread the sunrise of the next day. I knew we would have to talk about it, and this was all going to happen weather we wanted to or not.

Surprisingly I got up this morning and did my usual thing and went to school with out any discussion. But, this made me not want to come home after school today. I know that nothing after today is going to be easy.
“Hey Leah! Can I sit with you?”
“Sure I need to talk to you.”
“I need to talk to you too. You first.”
“No you fist.”
“Leah! don’t make this difficult you tell me fist.”
“Okay! Chill, my mom and dad are getting a divorce.”
“What! I thought your parents were inseparable.”
“They were until my mom had to bail my dad about of jail for drunk driving. She said she didn’t want him abound us kids when he is like that.”
“That’s terrible! Are you okay?”
“I guess but not really. So, what is your news?”
“Well umm… we’re…broke.”
“What? Your family is like rich! How did this happen?”
“I don’t know my parents haven’t talked about it to us yet, and I am dreading that.”
“Everything is going to be okay. Call me if you need anything. Are you going to eat?”
“No. I don’t feel like eating.”
“Okay well I am meet Josh in the library to study for history want to come?”
“No. I’m fine here.”
“Suit yourself, and don’t forget to call.”

The bus ride home was awful. Everyone make plans to go to the movies or mall. I knew I had to say no to my friends when they want me to go with them. I just wish this didn’t have to happen. I got home and my mom and dad were sitting at the kitchen table. I guess they were waiting for me. I walked over with tears in my eyes.

“Do you know honey?” Mom and dad both said.

“Of course I know I heard the whole conversation last night!”

“Okay then calm down. We made arrangements for you kids to stay with stay Josie until we find a new place.”

“Wait! Aunt Josie? I don’t want to go there its half way across the state! I don’t want a new school or new friends.”

“We know that dear, but right now there is nothing else we can do.”

“Whatever. When do we leave?”

“Sunday. Everything needs to be packed by Saturday night.”

That was not what I was expecting at all. That went a lot quicker. I am so to move with Aunt mad that I have to move in with aunt Josie. And I know that Valerie and Chase didn’t want to either. Sunday came so quickly, I barely had time to say goodbye to my friends and Jason well, he drives so we are still going to try and make it work.

“Hi Aunt Josie!” I said pretending to be thrilled. Of Corse Valerie and Chase love Aunt Josie but me no I wish that I could go away from here. Aunt Josie is always trying to my conversation with me but that didn’t work. Before my parents left they talked with me.

“Angela, we talked with Jason and is foster parents. They agreed to pick you up at 6 o’clock every morning and take you to school. Now we cant talk we must go. We will call you. Love you!”

I didn’t know what to say after that. I was so happy that I could still go to the same high school. But so upset that my parents are gone. I don’t know where they are going or when they will be back. I just had to take it one day at a time.

School was fine today. But my teachers knew I had family and money problems. It showed in my grades. I never fail tests. Well, until today apparently. This was not the high school experience I wanted, but I have it and I have to go along with it. I know I’m not the only person in the world that has this problem. It is just hell to live through.

Jason took me out to dinner that night. I am so glad he did. He was able to take my mind off of everything and just made me happy. But not for that long, but that’s okay. He is my boyfriend and he needs to know what is going on in my life

“So, how are things at your Aunt’s house?”

“Oh, don’t even get me started. Valerie and Chase hardly ever get to school on time. Liter boxes are never empted and I think Jose is getting sick.”

“Wow! That is terrible, what do you think Josie has?”

“I don’t know she is refusing to go to a doctor or anything. I keep telling her she needs to.”

“Don’t worry Angela she will in time.”

“Okay. You really make we feel better Jason.”

“I know. Are you ready? “

“Yeah, I need to make sure Aunt Josie doesn’t have the kids going crazy.”

The ride home with Jason was very nice. We talked about us. What it was like when we first meet eighth grade. We became more then friends in high school and we’re still together now. He said he loves me with all his heart and wants to marry me. I know at fifteen that’s now even legal but we are going to wait.

Today is my birthday! I am finally 16 years old. Jason took me to get my license and because it did so good they told me I didn’t even need a permit! I was so happy. My life was changing. My parents never did call and it was three weeks ago when this all started and I am getting scared. My Aunt finally went to the doctor and she was diagnosed with all-timers. I really don’t know what I am doing to do about that., The doctor said it was already bad and soon she might be put into a nursing home or will just go and live with the Angels. Both of those are really bad for us. She is are legal guardian right now and if anything happened to her we would have now place to go.

As a birthday present Jason arranged a party at his house. We were bad people at the party. We kissed a lot and told each other we loved each other a lot. One thing led to another and we ended up in is bed. And you sure know what that means.

I went home later the next day and it didn’t matter to my Aunt because she didn’t even remember who I was. I knew the all-timers had gotten even worse so I called the doctor. He immediately sent some one to our house and took her to a nursing home. Valerie and Chase cried their eyes in sadness, but I cried my eyes out in fear. At 16 I cant take care of kids on my own so I thought and thought. Jason is always there for me so I called him.
“Jason? Aunt Josie just left for the nursing home.”

“ Are you okay? What are you going to do now?”

“I’m scared and that is what I am calling you about. Do you think it is possible to maybe move in with you? And it wont be just me. It will be Valerie and Chase too.”

“Well, I don’t know let me ask my foster parents.” “Angela? They said it would be fine for you guys to move here. We will be by tomorrow to get you.

We all packed our things for the move to Jason’s house. But before we left a letter came in the mail addressed to me. The envelope said VERY IMPORTANT. I ripped that open and my heart was beating so hard. The letter read.

Dear Ms. Angela Zimmerman,

We are very sorry to inform you that both your parents have died in a car accident late Friday night. There was never a will made out so unless you have other arrangements you and your two younger siblings need to report to the Orphanage on Main Street by noon on Saturday. Please Call 555-786-3452 for further information.

This was the worst time for news like this. First Josie now this I almost wanted to die myself. I couldn’t take it anymore. Jason tried to calm me down but it wasn’t helping. This is the time when I really wish I could have my parents, but I am close with Jason and his foster parents so I hope they can act like a parent for me and be there when I need them.

We got to Jason’s house. I am sharing a room with my brother and sister. That is too bad, I will hardly be in there. We unpacked our things and had an amazing dinner. I already love this house and this family. After dinner I felt a little sick and I knew it could have been the food. And the first thought that came to my head was. Am I pregnant? I took a test with my eyes closed.

“Jason!” I yelled at the top of my lungs. “I haven’t looked yet. Tell me.”

With wide eyes. “There is a plus sign, so I think you are.”

My heart stopped I new I should have stopped myself, but I didn’t. I didn’t know what to do. I told Jason’s foster parents and they were disappointed but didn’t yell. I have already been through so much. I didn’t really want to have a baby especially at this age. No one said to give it up so I went through with it.

Weeks passed and life was getting harder and harder. Even though we had Jason’s foster parents I felt it was my responsibility to raise Valerie and Chase, and it was good practice. We found out that we are have twins. I though one child would be fine but I’m having twins. Soon we are finding out what we are having. But today we are celebrating Valerie’s birthday. We took her to Chuckie Cheeses. She had so much fun. I looked at all the mothers and kids and thought in a few weeks that is going to be me. Now I am sort of excited.

I have been going to school but I have now friends now that I am pregnant. But I still have Leah and she is putting together a baby shower. So that gave me a hint, I need to find out what I am having.

Jason and I went to the doctors today. It took a long time. She gave us a lot of parenting information. I have some experience with Valerie and Chase but none with new born. I don’t only have to do it for one child but two. She said I am having one boy and one girl.

The ride home was fun. Me and Jason were so excited. Before we didn’t want this but the more we think about it we are so in love and want to get married, but it got a little messed up all because of that one night. We thought of so many names but we wont make a choice until we see the babies.

When we got home we couldn’t wait to tell Dana and Paul. They were so happy. They took us shopping for a bunch of stuff and Leah had out baby shower. This will all come in handy once they come.

That shower couldn’t have come any sooner because 1 week later I had the twins. Kayleigh came first and Brandon came second. We were so happy they came out healthy.

I cant go back to school for at least 6 weeks and I might not even be able to. Jason cant manage to get a job. He does fine in school, I just hate to have Dana and Paul buy us baby things. Both Brandon and Kayleigh made it through the first 6 weeks at the house and Dana agreed to watch them while me and Jason go to school.

Everyone in school was happy to see me. I am getting all my friends back and they are always there for me. My teachers are seeing that I am happier than before and Jason and I are closer together then we ever were. Sometimes I wished that I had a different life, but why would I want one? Yes at first I hated my changed life but in the end I am glad to have what I have.

I never said goodbye to my parents the way I wanted. Aunt Josie and I don’t speak. Valerie and Chase are having fun all the time. Kayleigh and Brandon are growing into playful and cute little babies. I love Jason with all my heart and I am so thankful that Dana and Paul took us in.

As you now know my life wasn’t that great. But know I would trade any second of it. Jason and I got married when Kayleigh and Brandon were 3, and had another baby girl named Jenny. Chase and Valerie are growing up like that. My family my be different and hard to understand but we all love each other so much. And that is our story.