I dont know the title yet! :/ | Teen Ink

I dont know the title yet! :/

By thatonemexicankid, chicago, Illinois
thatonemexicankid, Chicago, Illinois

a professional writer is juat an ameature who never gave up!

Author's note: S.E. HINTON!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

I don’t know why I kissed her. I really don’t, it takes a lot for me to kiss a girl, but it was nice and it felt good. I didn’t plan to kiss her, I didn’t even know I liked her-well, I mean, I knew I liked her but I didn’t know I liked her- like that. All I know was, right before I kissed her, I was thinking how pretty her eyes were. And the next thing I knew, I leaned in and my lips touched hers. After we had kissed we both smiled, then she asked me if she could tell me a secret. I said yes, and then she told me that this was her first kiss. I didn’t believe her at first and thought she was kidding but she told me it was true. I couldn’t believe it. She was a special person, something about her made her so attractive and it had nothing to do with the way she looked. Don’t get me wrong, I thought she was really pretty. When she talked to you, you can feel the absolute love in her voice and her smile was enchanting Something about her just made you feel loved and protected. What was it about her that made her sparkle that made her touch so electric? And the crazy thing about all this, is that I’m noticing all these things now. I never noticed any of this the first day of school. She took me but surprise, I never realized. But let me tell ya That kiss made me smile like no other, if only I had known it was a kiss goodbye.

I didn’t want to move, but I did have to admit that it was nice to get a fresh start, to be able to go somewhere where no one knows you. No one knows who you are, or who you were. No reputations to hold you back or anything. And it’s not like I was moving from Chicago out to a farm in Idaho. I was moving from Chicago to Waukegan Illinois. Waukegan wasn’t that bad, I guess, but I was a native born Chicago city kid. I lived in the fifth largest city in the country, Chicago, and now, I’m confined to the small city of Waukegan! Okay, so maybe I’m exaggerating a little. Waukegan is actually huge, only slightly smaller than Chicago, and I have no idea whether Chicago is the fifth largest city in the country or not. So in conclusion Waukegan isn’t so bad, but what was bad was starting a new school. I was gonna be the new kid, never a good situation.

Lincoln high, that was the name of the high school in Waukegan. Lincoln high looked pretty big from the outside, at least it did when my mom and me passed by it. So when I got there Wednesday morning at seven o’clock I wanted to look at my new surroundings. This was the place I’d spend most of my time at. All of the hallways were painted a ugly bland gray color, and they were narrow, so narrow it made me uncomfortable. I managed to walk to the locker that I was assigned on my schedule, locker 1056. When I walked to my locker there was a girl standing in front of her locker, which happened to be right next to mine. All I saw was thick kinks of black hair pocking out, her face buried in her locker.
I opened locker 1056’s door and when I did the girl looked right at me, smiled like it was picture day and said ‘hi’. I just nodded. Her smile was so big, it looked like it was going to burst off her face.
“You’re new right? The office told me I was getting a new neighbor. My name’s Evelyn.”
“Chris.”
“Nice to meet you Chris, Where ya from?”
“Chicago.”
“Really?”
Her eyes widened and her smile got bigger, if that was even possible.
I nodded.
“I love Chicago, my Aunt lives down there. That’s really cool. Well Chiris, I’ll see ya around.”
She turned around and walked away. Evelyn seemed nice, but too weird for me. She was all over the place and a little too energetic for me.

At 7:40 the bell rang and the hallways quickly flooded with students. I looked back at my schedule, English is my first class, room 204. I had no idea where room 204 was so I did what I think any normal person would do, I asked. Some tall guy told me it was at the back of the school. I started to walk further and further back into the school. I don’t think I was going the right way, so I asked again. An even taller guy told me it was next to the office. The office is at the front of the school. Now I was really confused. The hallways were nearly empty now, I was going to be late on my first day, great I thought. I started to walk a little faster. I quickly turned around the corner and when I did I full on smacked into a girl. When I did she dropped everything that was in her hands. She swore and bent down to pick it all up. I was gonna help her but she already had everything back in her hands.

“I’m sorry.”

“Why don’t you watch where you’re going.”
She started to walk away.

“Hey wait.” I called.
She stopped and looked at me.

“Do you know where room 204 is?”

“C’mon” She motioned for me to follow her.

“It’s on the other half of the school why are you all the way over here?”

“Two guys told me-

“Don’t ever ask anyone.” She interrupted with a smirked.
We had to go all the way up to the second floor, walk down some stairs and then some. Even though I was behind her I could still smell her sweet perfume.

“Hey what’s your name? Your new right?”

“Yeah I am. My name’s Chris.”

“Lauren.”
That’s and interesting name for a girl I thought to myself.

“It’s right there.” She said and pointed at a room.

“Thanks.”
She nodded and walked on. Right when I walked in the classroom, the bell rang, as if on cue.

At gym we played soccer. Not my absolute favorite sport to play, but I like it. We played a scrimmage game with an assigned team. I was getting kind of into it. I was running and passing the ball and even made a couple of goals. It felt good. After gym in the locker room a guy that was in my assigned group walked up to me and asked me if I was new. I said yes then he said

“Hey you should try out for the soccer team.”

“ I dunno. I’ll think about it.”

“My name’s Mike by the way.”

“Chris.”

Lunch was the period I was dreading the most. Where would I sit? Guys can’t make friends the way girls can. It’s just a fact. A girl can say:

‘I like your shoes, their cute.”

‘I like yours too! Where did you get them?’

‘JC Penny’

‘Me too!!!’

‘OMG!!’
Bam! Instant friends for life! Well, at least I think that’s how it goes.
So When I grabbed my lunch tray I walked into the open cafeteria. I looked around looking for an open seat. The lunch room already filled to it’s max capacity, finding a seat would be near impossible but I kept looking. My eyes set upon a girl motioning to sit by her. She looked familiar. She was the girl who has the locker next to mine. She was sitting with some other people as well; it was the guy who said I should try out for the soccer team and the girl who helped me get to English class on time. I didn’t want to sit with them, they all seemed nice don’t get me wrong but I don’t know they were just so different from the friends I had back in Chicago and that made me kind of nervous, but what other choice did I have? And besides they were nice, so I sat down.

“You guys this is Chris, he’s new.”
I nodded even though they already had encountered me.

“Yeah I know Chris, we’re in the same gym.”

“Yeah and I know him, he made me drop all my books in the hallway.” She said seriously.

“Yeah, I’m sorry about that.” I apologized.

“I’m just kidding.” Lauren smiled at me.
Lauren’s smile was perfect. It sparkled and shined, it was something you just had to look at it. I sat down, once again entering her relm of sweet perfume.

“Didn’t you say you were from Chicago Chris?” Evelyn said breaking my focus from Lauren.

“Yup born and raised.”

“Can you tell us a little about it? I could only imagine how beautiful it would be and all the adventures you would have in the big city. It must be glamorous.” Evelyn got bug-eyed just like the last time I mentioned I lived in Chicago.

I chuckled to myself.

“Well Chicago isn’t really like that, at least the part where I lived. The south side isn’t so beautiful and it for sure isn’t glamorous. And I haven’t really had and adventures, besides public transportation.”

Evelyn’s eyes returned to normal.

“But don’t get me wrong, if you take a metra down a couple stops, and go to the city city it can be real pretty.”
They were all leaning in, listening to me. It felt good to be listened to. So I told them about my life back in Chicago, the time I got lost on the subway system and the time when I went ice skating in the Hancock building. I also told them about my family and how I liked Waukegan. When Lunch was almost over Evelyn invited me to hang out with them on Friday.

“We’re all getting together at my house Friday after school, your more than welcome to come.”
When Evelyn spit those words out, Lauren and Mike both shot Evelyn a look. A ‘why did you invite him? We don’t even know this guy, kind of look. I easily caught this, I wasn’t stupid.

“No that’s ok, I’m kinda busy ya know unpacking and all.”

“Oh but It’ll be fun! we’re gonna order pizza watch movies and everything right guys?” Evelyn shot back the same look. They just nodded with fake smiles. I wasn’t offended, I mean, they didn’t know me and I didn’t know them. To tell you the truth I really didn’t want to go. And I can catch a hint. Lauren and Mike did not me to go, which was fine with me.

“We’ll if you change your mind, just come on over. Here’s my address.” Evelyn wrote her address on a piece of paper and handed it to me.
The rest of the week by fast, I sat with Evelyn, Lauren and Mike for the rest of the week.

Friday finally came. I don’t know why I was looking forward to the weekend. I mean, it’s not like I had anything to look forward to. I was just anxious not to have any homework. So after school I went straight home. I got home around 3:30 and watched a little of The Simpsons. About an hour later my home phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Hi Chris?”

“Yeah, who is this?”

“It’s Evelyn. We’re all at my house, and I know you said you we’re busy unpacking and all but we we’re wondering if…”
I thought that was really sweet of Evelyn to call me up and ask again, But how did she get my phone number? I guess she got it from the school directory.

“Ya know Evelyn, just between me and you I don’t think Lauren and Mike really want me there. I don’t want to ruin your guy’s get together and besides I really am-”

“Chris, you’re on speaker.”
I kind of went silent for a couple of seconds. Yeah I felt like an idiot now and was tempted to hang up.

“Hey Chris, we really want you here I’m sorry if you thought I didn’t want you to come.” I recognized Lauren’s voice breaking the silence.

“Yeah man, I want you here too. Hey Chris, where ya live? I’ll come pick you up now.”

“are you sure man?”

“Definitely.”
So I told him my address. I felt like Evelyn felt sorry for me and was just inviting me because of it. But hey, it was something to do. Before Mike got to my house I told my Mom I was going to a friend’s house. A Minute later Mike was honking the horn in front of my house. I got into Mike’s car, which was a nice one, might I add. It was a ford pick-up truck, but it was a sweet cherry red.

“Hey man, ya know you live right by Evelyn.”

“Really? By the way this is a sweet ride.”
He started to drive.

“Thanks.”

“Hey can I ask you something?”

“Yeah sure, are you and Lauren..ya know.”
I raised my eyebrows. He had a confused look until he looked at my face, and then understood. He first chuckled and then said.

“Oh, no. You should go for it.”

“Ok, just making sure.”

“So you like Lauren hugh?”

“Yeah, sorta she’s nice and her-

“Smile.” Mike Finished my sentence.

“Yeah, she does have a nice smile.”

“So have all you guys been friends for a long time?” I said changing the subject.
“Yeah, since like the 7th grade. We hang out all the time but twice a month, Evelyn plans special get togethers. She calls them Bonding time. We switch whose house it’s at every time. And we’re each supposed to bring like a snack for everyone to eat but only Evelyn ever does.”
I thought that was funny. So I let out a snort.

“Bonding Time?”

“Yeah, man. But Evelyn’s great, really.” He smiled.
Mike was a cool guy. I thought it was kind of weird he wasn’t friends with all the other jocks at our school, Mike was too nice I think. He really was nice. They we’re all nice and I liked that.

Mike and me we’re greeted at the door by Evelyn and Lauren. Evelyn was wearing an apron.

“C’mon in.” Evelyn urged.
Evelyn’s house was pretty big from the outside, but when I walked inside, it got bigger. It was super nice.

“You guys came back just in time, the cookies are almost done.”
I could smell them, they smelled great. Lauren, Mike and me sat in Evelyn’s front room while Evelyn was getting the food for us in the kitchen.

“Hey what did you guys get on that quiz?” Mike asked.

“Failed it.” Lauren stated.

“Me too! I hate Mrs. Smith, she’s so mean and the kid who sits next to be always asks questions, so she leans on his desk, so then her big fat ass-”
Evelyn coughed loudly from the kitchen.

“Language please.”
“Sorry her big fat BUTT is right in my face! It’s disgusting.”

“Thank you.” Evelyn said from the kitchen.
“Oh! And did you see Maggie today!” Mike added
“Oh you mean the skank?!” Lauren spat
Evelyn coughed loudly again but this time Lauren ignored her.
“I don’t know about skank, but she sure looked hot today!”
“Oh please! Her skirt was up to her underwear and her top was so low I think she
wanted everyone to see her new zebra print bra!” Lauren snapped.
“Whatever”
I thought this was funny, so I laughed. Although I did have to admit Maggie did look pretty hot today.

Evelyn emerged from the kitchen with a big plate filled with steaming chocolate cookies. She set it down on the table, took off her apron and sat next to Lauren. Mike reached for a cookie, Evelyn smacked his hand.

“Ow!”

“Not till we pray. Hands please.”
Evelyn held out both hands Lauren and Evelyn quickly joined in, I did hesitantly.

“Lord thank you for this food that you have given us and we pray for all those less fortunate. We thank you for each family represented here today. And all God’s children said..”

“Amen” Lauren and mike said in unison.
Mike grabbed a cookie as soon as he said amen.

“Can one of you guys help me get the lemonade please.”

“Sure.”
I followed Evelyn back to the kitchen.

“Did you make the cookies from scratch?”

“Sure did. My Grandma taught me how. I hope you like them.”

“I’m sure I will.”

“Can you carry this one?” She handed me a picture of lemonade.

When I went back to the front room, I tried a cookie. My taste buds nearly exploded. They were so sweet but not too sweet that it was over powering and the edges were golden brown. Evelyn was a really nice girl and when she talked to you, it felt like you we’re talking to your absolute best friend.

The whole night all we did was talk and watch scary movies. We hit it off. We laughed a lot told stories and we’re horrified by The Nightmare on Elm Street. I never had friends- I mean I had friends back in Chicago. But they we’re different. They weren’t fake, they were genuine people that cared about one another. I hoped they would eventually care about me, the way the cared for each other.

“ I dunno. I’ll think about it.”

“My name’s Mike by the way.”

“Chris.”

‘I like your shoes, their cute.”

‘JC Penny’

‘Me too!!!’

‘OMG!!’

“You guys this is Chris, he’s new.”

“Yup born and raised.”

I chuckled to myself.

Evelyn’s eyes returned to normal.

“Hello?”

“Hi Chris?”

“Yeah, who is this?”

“Chris, you’re on speaker.”

“are you sure man?”

“Definitely.”

He started to drive.

“Thanks.”

“Hey can I ask you something?”

“Oh, no. You should go for it.”

“Ok, just making sure.”

“So you like Lauren hugh?”

“Yeah, sorta she’s nice and her-

“Smile.” Mike Finished my sentence.

“Yeah, she does have a nice smile.”

“Bonding Time?”

“C’mon in.” Evelyn urged.

“Failed it.” Lauren stated.

Evelyn coughed loudly from the kitchen.

“Language please.”

“Oh you mean the skank?!” Lauren spat
“Whatever”

“Ow!”

“Not till we pray. Hands please.”

“Amen” Lauren and mike said in unison.

“Sure.”
I followed Evelyn back to the kitchen.

“I’m sure I will.”

I was awoken by my phone ringing.
“Hello?”
“Chris, it’s Lauren.”
“Do you know what time it is? It’s freaking seven o’clock!”
“Chris, listen to me.”
Her voice sounded serious.

“Evelyn-Evelyn”
She was stuttering.

“Evelyn What?” I demanded.

“Evelyn got into a car accident this morning and-“

“and what? And What!?”

“Evelyn died this morning in a car accident.”

“What? Lauren are you serious because if you’re not I swear to-”

“Chris I’m serious.”
She was really crying now, I hung up the phone.

“Evelyn is dead” Just saying it gave me the Chills. The words stuck to my throat. I felt like I was lying. I just saw her last night. It’s amazing what can happen in 24 hours. In 24 hours, you can kiss the girl of your dreams and in 24 hours you can lose the girl of your dreams.
I didn’t do anything for days. My Mom was really worried about me, because I had just lost my Grandpa as well. And when we finally went back to school it was terrible feeling to know that Evelyn wouldn’t be there next to my locker to say good morning to me, she wouldn’t be at anymore soccer games and she wouldn’t be there at lunch to make us all laugh. Her death was announced over the intercom during lunch. Lauren immediately started crying, she hugged Mike. Mike patted her, you could tell Mike had been crying too. The cafeteria was quite for a while but then returned to its usual rowdiness.

“Be right back.”
I went to the bathroom. Again, I cried in the stall. When I was in the stall I overheard some people talking.
“Man, that’s sad.”
“Yeah I guess, but some people are being a little dramatic, I mean its sad but I saw someone balling their eyes out. That’s a little over the top. I mean really?”
When I heard him say that I swung the stall door open and punched that guy square in the face and walked out of the bathroom. I didn’t even think twice about it. I returned to our lunch table.

“Oh my gosh!” Lauren almost screamed.

“What?” Mike and I both said in unison.

“The last time all of us saw Evelyn was when we went to her house for the Christmas Bonding Time. That was December 12th right?”
Mike nodded.

“Oh My Gosh!”
“ You guys, the last time we saw Evelyn was on her birthday! And we all forgot.”
Lauren’s voice got quite.
Boy did that make me feel ten times worse. We all forgot. Not one of us remembered. If I only I had remembered-she still would be dead. But still, it would have made me feel a little better. I was a jerk, we all were. Evelyn did so much for all of us. She mothered each one of us in a special way. And we forgot her birthday.

I couldn’t bring myself to go to the funeral. I don’t like to cry in front of people, and I knew if I went there would have been a lot of crying. It was too much too soon, but I heard there was tons of people there and it was really sad. Lauren told me she almost had to leave because, she was feeling sick.

A year had passed Since Evelyn’s death. It took a full year for the three of us to recover enough just to say her name. On December 12th we all met at my house, and we had a Bonding Night in honor of Evelyn. We made a birthday cake that read ‘Happy Birthday Evelyn’.
E. Melesia P.