Save Me | Teen Ink

Save Me

May 23, 2011
By laurenh141 PLATINUM, Milford, New Jersey
More by this author
laurenh141 PLATINUM, Milford, New Jersey
21 articles 26 photos 6 comments

If there is one rule that my mom has always taught me, it was to never put myself into situations that I couldn’t get myself out of, or at least couldn’t get out of safely.
The idea all started one day in chorus class. Chorus is a joke class. Seriously, we are always talking and never getting anything done with singing, but then again that just means they are easy credits. It was originally Chelsea’s idea, but somehow Miranda and Chelsea got talking and worked it out before I ever heard the idea.
“Amelia!” Miranda whispered loudly.
“What?”
“We got an idea for a movie,” Miranda pointed out.
With a puzzled expression and a slightly worried look, “What!?”
The bell rang, and chorus was over. All three of us grabbed our bags and started talking again as we were walking into the hallway.
“So you’re telling me that this summer, we are going to be making a movie that stars us three, but you have no real plot or name for it?” I asked.
“Well, that’s kinda where you come in. You like to write, and your brother knows a lot about film….” Chelsea trailed off.
“Wait, you want me to write us a movie and get my brother to shoot it!?” They obviously didn’t understand the complicated relationship James and I have.
“He doesn’t actually have to shoot it, just lend us a camera,” Miranda chimed in.
“I can’t guarantee us a camera, and I can’t guarantee I’ll have a rough draft of a script even finished before summer starts. You know we will need to cast people, and have a table read, then some practicing before we shoot each scene. There will have to be someone in charge of makeup and wardrobe to keep the continuity of the film. We’ll need someone to direct and shoot the camera, and a producer to find locations that we can shoot at. Did you guys think this far ahead?”
They both kind of looked down at the ground, like I just chastised them. Yes, in our group of friends I am the cynical one that ruins everyone’s dreams.
“If you don’t want to do the stupid thing, then you could have just said no,” Chelsea said then turned down a different hallway. Chelsea was always the dramatic one in our circle.
“Am I wrong here? I mean that’s a lot of pressure on me,” I say to Miranda.
“No you’re not, but you aren’t right either. I mean think about it Mel, this is going to be our last summer together fully dedicated to each other. Next year well have other college friends….”
“Yeah, but we’ll still have each other, that’s not really going to change.”
“Things will be different. We won’t hang out as much or talk to each other like we do now. We aren’t going to have many new inside jokes. Think about what this means to Chels. She’s going far out into the Midwest. Maybe a home movie of her friends is something she would really enjoy having. Just because we aren’t going anywhere doesn’t mean we shouldn’t think about this.” Miranda’s big blue eyes darted from mine.
She was right in a way. Things would be different for all of us.
“And you won’t be doing this all on your own. I’ll be editing the script, and Chels is going to be scouting locations once we know what we are going to be shooting.” Miranda’s eyes looked back up at me, hoping for acceptance.
I sigh. “So what do we want it to be about?” I ask.
She smiled. “Love is always easy. Maybe write something that is important, like it means something to you.”
“What’s that supposed to mean?” I ask, generally confused as to where I should even begin.
“Write about what you know and then some.” She smiled, and entered her class.
I walk into my next classroom; pull out a sheet of paper and on the top write, “Save Me.”
---

I started writing in May, and the script was completed halfway through June. Miranda and Chelsea loved it. They were torn up inside over it, but they loved it. We decided that we wouldn’t start shooting until a week after graduation. Now it looks like we have a week to find our leading man. We needed someone mildly attractive, or at least someone one of us would be willing to kiss. This turned into a rather large debate.

“Okay, maybe we should just choose who is going to be the leading lady and pick based on their liking,” suggested Miranda, as we all sat outside on my deck, looking over copies of the script with pads of paper writing down notes and brainstorming ideas.

“Yeah, but do you know how long it’s going to take for our debate over the leading lady? Like ten times longer!” said Chelsea.

“What if we first think about the guys that we could feasibly convince to join this, then choose the most attractive one”, I suggest.
No one says anything as we each think about the guys we could talk to.
“Wait, what if the guy doesn’t want to kiss us?” asked Miranda.
“S***,” I mumble.
“Hey, I think that we are all gorgeous looking girls! Any guy would be lucky to get free kisses from us,” explained Chelsea
Yeah well, some guys don’t appreciate it as much as others, I thought.
“Amelia, what guy did you have in mind when you were writing this? I mean there must have been someone you thought of that fit the part,” said Miranda.
“Matt!” shouted Chelsea.
Good thing she saved me from having to explain myself.
“Matt Meter?” I asked, even though I knew full well whom she was talking about.
“Mm-hmm!”
We all look at each other and think for a second. The corners of our lips begin to rise and we all start giggling a little bit.
Matt is hard to describe. He is tallish, thin, and muscular too. His hair is brown, but not as dark as mine. It’s possible that his hair is curly, but it’s not long enough to tell (not to say that his hair is very short, just not long). He has brown eyes, and straight teeth. I remember when he had braces. He used to look so awkward, but still adorable. The only hard part about choosing him is trying to convince him to join us. I have an in with him. It’s a little hard to explain. He used to cheat off of me in math. I didn’t do it purposely, but I didn’t realize he was cheating off of me until March, and by that point I didn’t care anymore. He wasn’t necessarily “popular”, but he wasn’t part of our clique either. I guess you could say we were acquaintances.
“So Amelia, how are you planning on convincing him? Planning on using your feminine mystique to lure him to the dark side?” giggled Miranda.
“Why do I have to be the one to talk to him?” I asked.
“Because he actually knows you. And besides, you wrote the movie, so you’re the best one to talk to,” Chelsea pointed out.
I sigh. “Fine.”
We keep going at it, discussing extras, people we need for minor roles, and even discussing the major roles. Amy is the main character, and the most sought after role. Yes, I did write her for me, but Chelsea wants it just as much as I do.
“I think I would make a good Amy. You guys always talk about how I’m so guy crazy and always need a boyfriend. This is perfect for me!” stated Chelsea.
“You know those weren’t compliments, right?” I said jokingly.
“Mel, we all know she just wants to have a real reason to kiss some random stranger,” giggled Miranda.
“No, hot random stranger”, I laughed.
“Fine be judgmental”, Chelsea joked, “But what part do you want Miranda?”
She looked over at me, then back at the script. “I want Erin. She sounds adorable and has that hilarious evil streak in her, which I am very partial to.”
Miranda easily saw that I wanted Amy and that I wrote Erin’s role for her. I was kind of glad that she did, because I’m non-confrontational, and I really didn’t want to assign parts.
Our debates halted for a little while as I began creating a filming schedule. Finally Miranda nudged Chelsea and whispered in her ear while I was looking over the revised script. I don’t know what was said, but all I can say is that once we were done for the night, Amy became my role, and I was very happy.

If there is one thing that life has always taught me, it is that stalking is illegal, but hunting down information off of Facebook, the school directory, and branching out to someone’s friends, is not. These are the easiest ways to get information. “I’ve come to realize that by becoming friends with you, my creeping skills have grown exponentially,” I giggled, while lying on my bed cuddling my pillow. Miranda laughed. “See, I knew I taught you well,” she said, sitting in my cushioned chair a few feet away from me. Matt didn’t have a Facebook, or as far as I could stalk, he didn’t. With a common first name, it didn’t help me if he decided to change his last name so people couldn’t stalk him. I also checked his close friends’ “friends list”, and his picture didn’t even pop up. I figured it was safe to assume he never made one, or deleted his. In addition, school was over and I couldn’t talk to him there, or any of his friends to get his number. My only option was the school’s directory, and lucky me, it had his home phone number. While some people may feel that is too second-grade-play-datey, I say, you do what you got to do. Anyway, I’d rather take that than have to go to his house and talk to him in person. Now that is stalking. “So I have Matt’s home phone number.” She huffed. “You want me to be here when you call him, don’t you?” Miranda knew me too well. “Okay, so I’m afraid I’m going to come off as a complete weirdo! Is that not understandable?” Miranda laughs hard, almost too hard, like there is truth behind what I’m saying. “If you are afraid of being a weirdo, I think Matt probably is well aware of that by now. From all the things you’ve told me, he seems pretty well-versed in the book of Amelia.” She winked. “Sicko!” I threw my pillow at her. “So, are you excited to share your first on-screen kiss with Matty!?” I felt my cheeks burn, “Great! I can’t call him now! All I’ll be thinking about is how awkward that future conversation about on-screen PDA is going to be. Thanks!” Miranda laughed again. “Hey don’t sweat it. Matt’s has so much pride, he isn’t going to care if he has to kiss you.” With furrowed brows, I was confused at what she was trying to say. “What do you mean?” “I think for him, kissing a girl isn’t a big deal.” Miranda nonchalantly looked away, letting her light brown hair cover her eyes. “You mean he’s like a random hookup kinda guy?” She lifted her eyes from the floor and tucked her hair behind her ear. “Well, yes. But that doesn’t mean he isn’t a good guy. He just likes to have fun I guess.” “Whatever. I mean why should I care. He can do whatever he wants. It’s not like he has a girlfriend or anything.” “Well…” “’Well’ what?” “He might.” “Then why are we asking him to do this movie if we think he has a girlfriend and can’t do the PDA stuff without cheating on her?” I ask, a little annoyed. “It’s more like a reoccurring hookup.” “Isn’t that the same thing as a girlfriend?” “If it were the same thing as a girlfriend, then Adam would be Chelsea’s boyfriend, and we know that is far from the truth,” stated Miranda. I giggled a little. “Yeah I guess I see what you’re saying.” “You better call him soon, because if he can’t do it, we need another guy,” Miranda said, pushing me, which I needed. “Fine,” I sigh. I grab the school directory and find his name. I use my home phone and dial the number. It only seems natural to use the home phone; you know to lessen the creepiness of it. Miranda comes running over to my bed and puts her ear close to the earpiece. I keep pushing her away until she pushes the speakerphone button while it rings. Finally when I think it’s about to go to voice mail, someone picks up. “Hello?” asked a sweet female voice. “Hi, can I please talk to Matt? This is a friend from school.” She paused for a moment, almost like she was confused. “Yeah, hold on.” In the distance, she says, “Matt, phone.” Then he replies with a “Who is it?” He takes the call regardless of her not answering his question. Throughout all of this tension, I feel my nerves getting to the best of me. Miranda is having the hardest time holding back laughter through it all. I keep glaring at her, but it only makes her laugh harder. “Hello?” “Hi Matt, it’s---” “Amelia. Wow. Never thought I’d see the day you call me.” There was a moment of silence. I couldn’t say anything. “We have caller ID. I looked and saw your last name.” “Oh, right,” I say stupefied. Miranda has to leave the room because she can’t hold her laughter in any longer. “Anyway, I called because I wanted to ask you a question, and feel free to say no at any time…” “You know, take this any way you like, but I think you would be great for phone sex. Your voice is perfect.” I hear an eruption of laughter from the hallway. I awkwardly pause. “Thanks.” “Except you can’t be this awkward on the phone. You’ll lose business.” “Well, I don’t plan on prostituting myself anytime soon, so don’t you worry.” “Sorry I keep interrupting you. What is it you wanted to ask?” “Right, so my friends and I making a movie---” “Like a real movie?” “Well, no. More for fun than anything. But we have a script, and some actors, but none of us have any viable guy friends or men connections.” “And your friends think you’re the closest thing to ‘men connections?’” he chuckled. “Shut up. I feel stupid asking so don’t make it worse,” I say jokingly. “Okay, sorry. Continue.” “So I’m wondering if you wanted to be the leading man in our movie. You would be playing opposite me. It’s called ‘Save Me’, and it’s kind of a love story mixed with a bunch of other things. I have a script for you to look at. I can drop it off today if you like. I just need to know if you’re doing it in two days.” “Hmm…” “What?” “All this time I knew you didn’t actually hate me. C’mon Amelia, do you have a little crush on me or something?” Miranda bursts into hysterics. I really should take this off speakerphone. “Matty, I hear you’re man-whoring it up these days. I try to shoot a little higher than that.” He laughed. “Mel, you never cease to amuse me.” “Seriously though. What are your thoughts? Got any questions?” “Yeah I do. Will my pants be on at all times during the film?” “As long as you decide to keep them on….” “Damn. I was hoping for a nude scene. Well, I don’t think I can do it then,” he joked. “In your imaginary contract I’ll put a clause that says ‘clothing optional.’ Is that better?” “It depends, are you included in that clause?” Miranda is on the floor now. “Sorry Matty, but I’m a fully clothed kinda girl. I thought you knew that by now.” “Well there were a few times in math class that you leaned a certain way and pretty much I saw a little bit of your favorite friends, and I’m not talking about Chelsea and Miranda. Here’s a clue, they are also the name of a candy,” he said, chuckling out of amusement. “You did not see my nipples!” “Believe what you want, but nips don’t lie.” Miranda can’t contain herself. She crawls back into my room looking up at me. I shoo her away. She’ll distract me otherwise. “Yeah, but dicks do.” “Ouch. That actually hurt a little,” he said jokingly. “You know, thanks for listening, but you seem disinterested in this film, so I’ll let you get back to your wonderful summer of boozing and bitches, and I will make my film with a respectable young gentleman who doesn’t look down my shirt while I grab my backpack.” In a little more serious tone, “You know I was only kidding right?” “Yeah I do. But it’s cool if you don’t want to do this. Got any viable guy friends that might be interested?” He chuckles. “Mel, how could I turn down an offer to harass you on your summer vacation. Yeah I got some guy friends if you need them, but count me in.” I smile. Even though he can’t see it, I couldn’t help but grin. “Okay, good. So how’s you friend Jay doing? Might he be interested in playing an abusive boyfriend?” “I’ll see what I can do. No guarantees, but I’m sure he’ll be up for it.” “Okay. Sounds good. I’ll drop the script off within the hour. I’ll even give you Jay’s copy.” “Good.” “What’s your cell number, in case I need to reach you when you aren’t home?” He laughed. “Figure it out. You’ll have to work a little harder than that. There’s a reason why I don’t have a Facebook.” “So I guess that means you won’t be giving me Jay’s number either.” “Nope.” “Alright. Well, you better not screen my calls then, jerk,” I say jokingly. He chuckles, “Scouts honor.” “Alright, see you soon.” “Bye.” Miranda comes back into my room, with her face red, eyes watery, and heavy breathing. “Is that how math class was every day? That’s f*ing hilarious!” “Actually, math class was worse.” I smile.

If there is one thing that my dad has taught me, it is that even if a car’s body may need a little bit of work, it doesn’t mean that it’s not a dependable mode of transportation.
“So why did you and Brian break up?” asked Miranda.
Chelsea and I were over at Miranda’s house sitting by the pool in our bathing suits. Chelsea, being the diva that she is, wore her big sunglasses with her floppy hat. She was splashing her feet in the cool water.
“When did you and Brian break up?” asked Chelsea.
I chuckle, uneasily. “Around February. It’s complicated. And by that I mean there were a lot of reasons.”
Miranda and Chelsea exchange a look. It was almost like they doubted what I was telling them.
“It’s just odd considering we are your closest friends and you didn’t really tell us the definite end. It just seemed like you stopped talking about him and….” Chelsea trailed off.
“Yeah, well, you know how I can be.” I said.
There is a slight moment of silence.
“So what did you say to him? How did it officially end?” asked Miranda as she sipped her lemonade.
Jeeze, why did they have to be so nosy? Do I really have to explain all of this?
“Well, I didn’t tell Brian the real reason. I told him the distance made it hard for us to keep a good relationship.”
“So what was the real reason?” asked Chelsea.
I pause for a moment, contemplating what excuse I wanted to use. “I really broke things off because the part of me that liked him was gone. Anything he said was irritating. Anything he did got me mad. No matter how romantic he was being, it felt creepy. I realized that I could never fall in love with him.”
Well, it wasn’t a complete lie.
“So how did he take the news?” Miranda asked, now biting on her straw nervously.
“I guess as well as someone getting broken up with could. He said he disagreed, and wasn’t happy with my decision. I told him that my feelings about this weren’t going to get any better over time, and that how it was.”
Chelsea stared at her splashing feet. “There’s a reason you broke up in February.” This was a statement, not a question.
I gave her a puzzled look, but she didn’t look up at me to see it. She just felt it and continued.
“You did it before Valentine’s Day, Prom ticket sales, but after Christmas and after he left to go back to school.”
“Yeah that’s true,” I said, pretending to be unsure of what she was getting at, but deep down realizing what she was saying.
“You’ve been planning on breaking up with him for a while. You couldn’t do it during Thanksgiving or Christmas. But if you waited any longer, you’d be forced to spend Valentine’s Day with him, then Prom in May, and after that would have come your one year anniversary. That was too long to string him along. And you realized that a long time ago. So why didn’t you say anything?”
Chelsea still stared at her feet. Even though I couldn’t see her eyes from under her sunglasses, I was sure that she was tearing up, at least a little. She was upset with me, and I guess she had a right to be. It always irritated me that she could see through me.
I didn’t know how to respond. I certainly didn’t want to tell them the truth, or at least the whole truth.
“I was embarrassed, I guess. My first boyfriend ends up with me breaking things off because I’m too independent and too much of a coward to do it sooner.”
I feel Miranda’s eyes on me. I look over at her, still biting on her straw, but she weakly smiles. Chelsea gets up and walks away. She doesn’t say anything, and she doesn’t have to. She was pissed.
“I’ll go get her,” said Miranda.
“Give her a minute to cool off. I don’t blame her, though.”
Miranda doesn’t say anything, but I know she is thinking “Why?” so I continue.
“Brian wasn’t right for me. He had all the things I wanted in a guy, but not what I needed. I wanted a gentleman, someone who respected me, and someone who was my friend. And that’s not to say I don’t need those qualities. But I needed someone who wasn’t afraid to challenge my bullshit and actually talk to me about important things. I needed someone who would actually put up a fight rather than let me blindly accept what they say. I needed someone who I could trust and felt comfortable with. Most of all, I needed someone I was attracted to.”
Miranda doesn’t say anything again, but I knew we were thinking the same thing.
“I should be telling Chelsea this.”
I look back over at Miranda, and she half-smiles and nods.
“I’ll go get her,” I reply.
While Chelsea is more of a drama queen than Miranda, and I like Miranda more than Chelsea about 90% of the time, Chelsea does make me a better human. She doesn’t let me get away with being a bad friend or lying. Miranda on the other hand is a better listener. She lets me and leads me to the decision of what I should do, rather than Chelsea telling me what’s right.
I go inside Miranda’s house and down the hallway to the bathroom door. It’s closed, so I knock.
“Chelsea, it’s me. Can we talk?”
She doesn’t say anything, but just opens the door. I walk in, and she closes it. She puts down the toilet seat, and sits on it. I hop onto the counter and sit across from her.
“I’m sorry for not being honest with you. I know that it hurts you when I do this, but I just have so much pride that I don’t want to seem weak, so I get embarrassed about things that I don’t need to be embarrassed about, especially to you.”
She doesn’t say anything, so I continue.
“I learned a lot about Brian, and realized that he’s not the guy I need. He was the safe option, because I’m a coward. And I was too much of a coward to break things off sooner, and to even admit the real reason to him. There’s a lot that was screwed up with our relationship, and it gets me sad and annoyed all at the same time. It stirs up a lot of mixed emotions, so I really don’t want to talk about it anymore, or at least for a little while.”
There is a moment of silence as Chelsea collects herself.
“You know, I do worry about you, right?”
I nod.
“Because sometimes I just wonder if you realize how much I do care. I don’t act this way to be a b****, but if you aren’t going to be a friend to me, then I should stop wasting my emotions on you….”
She pauses, almost as if she is changing her tone.
“I worry about you because you aren’t an open book, and I get that. You don’t have to tell me everything because I know you’re a private person. But I wonder, if you were ever in a situation – a bad situation – if you would tell me. And sometimes I don’t think you would. I feel like that could be dangerous, and I value you. And you’re the most creative person I know, so I just wonder if you are ever trying to tell me something through your writings or drawings. And most times, it just never seems good. You don’t have to confirm or deny what I’m saying. I just think you had to hear it.”
I nod.
Chelsea gets up from the toilet, and I hop down from the sink. We hug each other. This is when I realize how much we need to do this movie. Things will definitely be different once college starts up, and I better be a good friend to Chelsea. Otherwise, I’ll lose her forever.
“Plus, Brian wasn’t good-looking enough for you,” she jokes.
I chuckle. “Okay, I know I’m the biggest supporter of inner beauty and that being superficial is horrible, but right? He wasn’t that great looking.”
“Honey, you could get a hotter man. You’re dark hair, and big caramel eyes. C’mon!” Chelsea smiled.
“Well, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, so it wasn’t just his face or body.”
She laughed. “Yeah, we’ll see what happens with Matt, won’t we?” She nudges me.
“Really? We’re already getting started on him, and he hasn’t even confirmed his filming schedule?”
“Miranda told me you blushed when you guys were talking about kissing him. Just wait until you read the revised script. You are going to kill Miranda,” she said giggling at my future awkwardness.
My eyes widen. “No, she didn’t!”
“Oh yes she did!”
Chelsea paused for a moment, then as she said it, she wrapped her tongue around every letter, every syllable, adding emphasis to its meaning.
“Sex scene.”

If there is one thing that life has taught me, it is that insanity is doing the same thing over expecting new results. Success is the almost always linked to insanity.
While my brother never was too fond of me using his video cameras and filming equipment, when I told him I was considering a career in film, he let me have everything I would need, microphone and tripod too.
“I’m trusting you with my livelihood, here. Respect it.”
“Wow. Such great words of wisdom. I’ll definitely remember that.”
James gives me a look like he was foolish to trust me.
“I promise I’ll take care of everything.”
I call Chelsea to let her know I have the equipment. We decide to meet up in the park for one of our easier scenes.
“And call Matt. If he can come, we can definitely get a lot more scenes done,” Chelsea declared
“Uhh, okay.”
“What? You afraid you can’t talk to him, like you were last time?”
“Miranda told you?” I asked.
She chuckled. “What do you think?”
“Fine I’ll do it, but I only have his home phone number.”
“Do what you can.”
I get off the phone with Chelsea, and call Matt’s home phone. The same woman picks up the phone.
“Hi, is Matt there?”
“No he isn’t. But I can leave a message for him.”
“Actually, could you tell me his cell phone number so I can try reaching him?”
The woman says in a slightly biting tone, “If you don’t have his cell number, I imagine there is a good reason for it.” She hangs up the phone.
Luckily, I wasn’t completely hopeless. Some girls lost their phones, and put a message up on Facebook asking for peoples phone numbers. I saved all the phone numbers into an email in case I ever needed them for some odd reason. Yes, I’m aware that is borderline stalking.
Looking through the list of numbers, I try to find people that I could text that wouldn’t be too creepy. I wasn’t having much luck finding someone who would probably have Matt’s number, except this one guy. George Mason was on the basketball team with Jay. The only problem is I don’t really know George. I did once explain factoring to him. Maybe he will remember me.
I text him, “Hey George, this is Amelia Wright. I was wondering if you had Matt Meter’s cell number. I thought I had it, but now that I need to call him, I realize that I never got it after I lost my phone a couple months ago. Thanks.”
Fifteen seconds later I get a response.
“Sorry I don’t have his number. How do you have my number?”
“I probably copied it off of a friend’s phone when I was trying to regain all my old numbers. Thanks anyway. Do you have Jay Sanders’s?”
“Oh, okay. Yeah I do. It’s 555-8831.”
“Thank you, you’re a life saver!”
I get into my car, put my phone on speakerphone, and start driving to the park. I call up Jay. How much you want to bet that Matt is with him?
“Hello?” Jay answers.
“Hi, this is Amelia. I don’t know if you remember me, but---”
“Yeah, I remember. What’s up?”
“I was wondering if you were with Matt right now.”
“I might be. Why do you want to know?”
“You love busting my balls just as much as he does, don’t you?”
“As a matter of fact I do.”
“So it’s safe to assume you won’t give me his cell number either.”
He chuckles. “Yeah, that’s right.”
“We’re doing some exterior scenes for ‘Save Me’, and if Matt could be there it would be very helpful,” I say.
“Impressive. You can get Jay’s cell phone number. Still trying for mine I see,” says Matt. Jay must have handed over the phone without telling me.
“I’m magical. What can I say?”
“So what’s this I hear about shooting today? I thought in my contract we agreed on Wednesdays being my off days.”
“You mean that invisible contract where clothing is optional? Yeah, well sorry to break it to you, but you’re basically on call all summer.”
“No worries, I’m just with Jay. Now if I was with a chick, that’s another story. I’m sorry to say this, but I would choose the chick over you. A real f*** is better than a staged one,” he says slyly.
“Aww! I guess you can’t handle the build up without any satisfaction,” I say in a mocking tone.
“Guys have needs too Amelia, and ours are usually much more demanding,” he jokes.
“How soon can you be at the park across from Jefferson Elementary?”
“I’m there right now at the basketball courts.”
“Are you all sweaty?”
“Jeeze honey! When I said you had a voice for phone sex I didn’t mean for you to jump me that quickly!”
“You’re so funny. I’m asking because if you’re sweaty and dirty looking, you’ll have to go home and shower.”
“Are you serious?”
“Matt, are you sure you want to commit to this?”
“I don’t see the big deal. I look hot when I’m sweaty. Girls are supposed to like that.”
“Are we seriously getting into this now?”
“I’m not that sweaty. But I don’t have my clothes.”
“You and Jay are playing against each other naked? And I defended your honor when people said you were in a bromance together,” I said jokingly.
“I don’t know what you’re talking about… We are in a bromance.” Matt laughs. “Seriously, I don’t have the clothes I would need for shooting. I’m in basketball shorts and a wife-beater.”
“You want me to go to your house and pick up clothes for you?” I say, not looking forward to having to meet the woman on the other end of the phone.
He laughs hard. “Obviously you don’t know where I live. The park is across the street from my house. I live like two houses down from Jefferson.”
“Oh.” Now I felt stupid.
“F*** it, I’ll go home and shower.”
I pull into the parking lot ironically placed next to the park. The basketball courts are right behind the parking lot. I turn off the car and get out.
I hang up the phone, and say aloud, “Yes, you do look that sweaty.”
Even though Matt said he had a wife-beater, he wasn’t wearing it. Neither was Jay. Both guys were fairly tall and thin. Let’s just say they had nicely formed muscles, and watching them gawk at me while I got out of my car, was a very pleasant sight.
“You know, Chelsea is going to be here any moment,” I state.
“What, no hug?” Matt starts to reach for me.
“No! Get your man juices off of me!” I didn’t fully realize what I said until it was too late.
“No one has ever said that to me before. I guess I’ll have to get you back in a different way.”
“I swear to God, if you pull anything during our PDA’s---”
“Woah, PDA’s? I don’t remember signing up for that either,” Matt said in the most serious tone.
“You’ve got to be kidding me,” I say, not fully believing him.
“I thought that stuff was just written in the script,” added Jay.
“I didn’t think we were actually doing that.”
I was speechless. I didn’t really know what to say. Did he not want to kiss me, or was he just surprised, or was he screwing with me?
“Don’t get so serious! I was just messing with you,” Matt teased.
“Not funny!” I say, even though I cracked a smile.
“I think she was afraid you didn’t want to kiss her. Or maybe she wanted to see you nearly nude, and didn’t think you were up for that either,” suggested Jay.
“I think she was embarrassed that I was turning her down. No one says no to Amelia and lives to see another day,” he joked.
“Okay, really not funny.” I could feel my cheeks burning bright red. But both Jay and Matt knew better than to embarrass me even more.
As Chelsea’s car pulls into the parking lot, Matt does the most unexpected thing.
“Don’t worry, I’m not embarrassed to kiss you, even if it is acting.”
Matt takes his hand, cups my face, and kisses me. It isn’t until after he lets go of me that I realize he placed his thumbs over my lips and kissed his thumbs. Then, I realized that neither Jay nor Chelsea could see that it was faked. As I turn to look at Chelsea’s face, I see that she picked up Miranda, and now I have a crowd watching me in the most awkward situation that Matt has put me in, making me squirm like crazy.
“Shouldn’t you go shower and get cleaned up or something?” I say, acting like nothing happened.
“Yeah, I’ll get right on it Captain.” Matt picks up his shirt, hat, and basketball, and walks back to his house. Jay starts to follow him.
“Jay, you can stay and watch us film, if that helps you for your role of the jealous boyfriend,” I state.
“You know, I think I might just have to stay and watch this.” Jay grabs his shirt and puts it back on, like he is aware of the fact girls are ogling his body.
Miranda and Chelsea just stare at me. Both are speechless. Miranda and her fiery streak break the silence.
“So I thought you were going to save all the good stuff for when a camera was rolling. What happened?”
“Note to self: Sweatyabs McMuscles is Amelia’s kryptonite,” joked Chelsea.
“In my defense, he put his thumbs over my lips.”
“Pshhh, yeah, okay!” says Jay sarcastically, but he was only joking.
“Anyway, help me set up the equipment. And Jay, text Matt. Tell him to bring his script.”
---
During our filming, I realized why Jay and Matt were friends. While they both had the same personality, because they loved screwing with me, Jay kept to himself more than Matt did. Any time Jay did talk, it was of importance. On the other hand, every time Matt talked, I had to filter through his bullshit. They compliment each other so well. While I haven’t seen Jay act yet, I know that his more serious mindset will help me greatly. Matt on the other hand, I have to keep focused. They were even opposites in the way they looked. Jay has blue eyes and naturally bleach-blonde hair. While most people around here are pale, for some reason, Jay was always tan. I know that Jay works at a nursery, so he’s outside a lot, moving plants and such. He looks like the stereotypical surfer, but he’s much more levelheaded than that. It’s quite refreshing.
“I don’t get this. Why would Amy and Ethan meet up at a park and just walk around and talk. Sounds a little chick-flick clichéd to me,” stated Matt.
“Amy knows of Ethan. They don’t really know each other. She went for a walk, and found Ethan here playing some game. Then they get to talking. They meet naturally,” I explain.
“Still feels like a Lifetime movie,” said Matt. “Wait, if I’m supposed to be playing a sport, you’re telling me I showered when I didn’t have to?”
Jay laughed. “It’s all for vanity, dude. This scene is to set up the relationship they’re going to be battling with for the rest of the movie. Just go with it.”
I’m starting to like having Jay on set.
Chelsea manned the camera then called, “Action!”
EXT – Park, daytime.
The field is empty, except for ETHAN. He is running drills with a soccer ball, and practicing shooting from distances. The camera pans across the field as AMY walks along the sidewalk, and starts to watch ETHAN. AMY sits down in the bleachers, takes out a notebook from her bag, and begins to draw. The camera cuts between AMY’s drawing and ETHAN playing. Finally ETHAN looks over and begins watching AMY. While AMY is looking down and drawing, ETHAN runs off the field. She looks up, but does not see him, only his abandoned soccer ball. From behind her, she hears a voice.




ETHAN:


Whatcha got there?





AMY:



(Embarrassed)


Nothing!




Quickly AMY shuts her notebook.





ETHAN:


It’s okay. I don’t judge stalkers


too harshly.





AMY:



(Chuckles uneasily)


I’m Amy.





ETHAN:


Ethan.





AMY:


I better go. I’ll let you get


back to practicing.





ETHAN:


You don’t have to leave. Let’s go


for a walk. There’s this path


that has some picturesque sights,


so you won’t have to watch me


practice in order to draw.



(Smiles)





AMY:


No, I gotta go. Sorry. Maybe


some other time.

AMY grabs her bag and notebook and walks away.

“Cut!” shouts Chelsea.
I walk over to the camera, and playback the footage. Everything was at a distance, and Chelsea didn’t do a bad job of framing.
“Okay, lets do it again. This time, let’s put the camera here and have a close up of the characters. Then we’ll get some more shots of Matt playing soccer, and of me drawing.”
After hours of filming, everyone was beat. It was hot, and now the sun was setting. We couldn’t shoot any longer, because it would ruin the continuity. The lighting was different. A couple blocks down the road there was a café that had an ice cream window. Chelsea drove us down because we were too tired and lazy to walk, and because my car was full of equipment.
We each go up to the window and order our favorite kind. Cornerstone, as it is called was home to a variety of choices. While they had soft serve, they also made many of their own hard ice creams. Choosing one was not an option. My favorite combination was blueberry and mango with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles. Chelsea always made fun of me for ordering the same thing every time we went to Cornerstone. Miranda on the other hand, learned to embrace it, to the point that it is her favorite too.
When it was Matt’s turn to order, after he finished, he looked at me, and said, “What would you like? It’s my treat.”
Surprised, “I-I-I couldn’t. Don’t worry about it.”
“I’m making up for my ‘performance’ I had earlier today. Just tell the lady your ice cream.” I knew he wasn’t talking about his acting, but his pseudo-kiss that left me squirming.
Luckily for Matt, I give into peer pressure. “Fine. I’ll have my usual.” People here know what I like by now. It’s actually kind of sad when you think about it.
Matt gives me a weird look, while the lady behind the window smiles at me, like she has done for years. I feel like I should know her name, but I don’t. She’s just that forty-something, blonde woman, with a ponytail, and fake nails. She’s got that look of having an old name like Maude or Mildred or Marilyn. It’s gone too far that I can’t ask her name now.
“You know, you didn’t have to do that,” I say.
“Actually, yes I did. You see, by me being an asshole, later that is going to come back and somehow hurt me. Karma is a very powerful thing, you know,” Matt said, half joking and the other half being serious.
“Well thank you. But next time you decide to surprise me like that, I would like some warning.”
“What, you don’t like it when some hot and sweaty athlete jumps you in front of your friends? I think it makes you look like a total pimp.” He chuckles.
Our ice cream comes out the pick up window, and we grab ours and start to walk over to the picnic table that Chelsea, Miranda, and Jay are sitting at.
“No, you think it makes me look awkward, and find it hilarious that I don’t know how to react to your shenanigans.”
“Me? Shenanigans? No!” Matt says sarcastically.
We get to the picnic table and sit down. Matt sits next to Jay, and I sit in between Miranda and Chelsea.
“We are going to need a ton of extras for the party scene, let alone have someone volunteer their house for it. My parents would kill me if I had a party,” stated Miranda.
“First, as the producer, who is supposed to be scouting locations, I should be the one worrying not you. Second, if all else fails, we could crash someone’s party and film there,” said Chelsea.
Matt laughed. “You know if you bring a camera to a party, people will get suspicious and you won’t blend it, which is kinda the point when you crash a party.”
“First lets worry about the location, because it’s gonna be easier to get people than a house.”
“We can film at my house,” said Jay.
Everyone stares at him. Spoons freeze midair, and mouths are hung wide open.
“My parents are never home during the summer. They make trips to my Nana’s house all the time. It’s cool. I can throw a party, and we can film it. And yes, I do have a pool.”
“I could kiss you right now,” states Chelsea.
“Please don’t,” suggests Jay as he chuckles.
“So it looks like we are going to have a great Fourth of July party?” asked Matt.
“You know it bro!” then Jay and Matt bump fists.
“So Amelia, should I wear my best speedo for you? Maybe you want to get a sexy little number and we can match?” jokes Matt.
“If this ice cream wasn’t so delicious, it would be on your face right now. I hope you understand that the next time you talk about my body as a sex object.”
I smile, but the rest of the table gives Matt an “Ooooh!” and he holds back a laugh and says, “My apologies.”
Matt gives me a look, but it’s not “a look”, like a squinty I’m-mad/irritated/annoyed-at-you look. It was like he was impressed and smiling with his eyes. Maybe I’m misunderstanding things, but Matt seems to like me.

If there is one thing that my brother has taught me, it is that girls + shopping = fun time, while boys + shopping = huge pain in the ass. Chelsea gave me the day off. Something about how I’m the director of photograph, co-director, writer, and after filming, the editor, so I deserve to have some time to myself. Chelsea is in charge of filming the scene where Erin and Daniel have a confrontation. Hopefully things go well for Miranda and Jay. Although I am not on set for filming, there are still things I have to take care of for the party scene we are shooting. Even though the Fourth is two weeks away, I need to make sure we have party supplies. In addition, Matt’s wardrobe needs some work too. When I told Miranda and Chelsea how I was spending my day off, I was sent off with a huge outburst of laughter. “You’re going shopping with Matt!? Oh okay. Good luck! You’re going to need it!” said Miranda. “Am I missing something here?” I ask. “Only the fact that you and Matt keep getting closer by the minute and you don’t want to admit it,” stated Chelsea. “This is strictly business.” Miranda laughs and says doubtfully, “Okay, sure it is!” While they did not instill confidence in me, I didn’t think the day was going to be that bad. I pick up Matt, and drive us to the mall. While the fifteen minute ride could have been completely boring and awkwardly silent, Matt made sure that didn’t happen. “So I finished reading the script last night.” “Are you serious? What were you planning on doing if we wanted to shoot one of the end scenes? Do you not have your lines memorized!?” Okay, so maybe I was a little on edge about this movie thing. “Obviously you did need the day off. Jesus, you’re wound tight!” said Matt I take a deep breath to calm down. “Sorry. What were you going to say?” “It was good. A little bit of a chick-flick, but good.” He smirks I hide my smile. “Chick-flick? What’s that supposed to mean?” “You know. It definitely has a feminine vibe and is geared toward women. I mean guys would only watch it if the girl they were into made them.” “Don’t worry, it’s not going to be mass produced, so you won’t be type-casted as that guy in romance movies.” He pauses for a moment. “If you think about it, it’s not really a romance movie. It’s actually more depressing than that.” “How so?” I ask, genuinely wanting to know his opinion. “Well, Amy is verbally and emotionally abused by her boyfriend, and she knows it’s wrong, but she doesn’t feel like there is anyone to protect her if she leaves him. Amy and Daniel don’t really love each other, but there is something there. I don’t know what it is really. I guess longing or companionship is what I’m trying to say. Then Ethan comes along, and Amy is opened up to something she hasn’t experienced before. It’s not necessarily love, but maybe respect. Once Erin and Ethan finally do something about Daniel, it doesn’t matter. In the end, even though Amy is saved from Daniel, there’s always another girl that’s going to get abused by him. It’s sad to end it with this feeling of hopelessness.” “I know.” “I mean, you’re happy that there is a possibility of things working out for Amy and Ethan, but it’s bittersweet because Daniel starts to date Kiera. And Daniel is this character that acts like a gentleman to teachers and to Amy’s friends, so it makes it hard to want to hate him. He’s so likeable, but evil. I dunno, it’s kinda sickening to think that there are people out there like that. You know?” I grimace a little. “Yeah I know.” I wait for him to ask me, because I know that’s what he’s thinking. He doesn’t. He doesn’t ask me if it is true, and he doesn’t give me this concerned look of “I’m here for you.” He doesn’t act like I’m a wounded animal, like Chelsea and Miranda do. Instead, he just waits. I don’t mean the whole ride is silent, but he waits for me to tell him if I want to, but I don’t. I don’t want to sort out the whole truth of fiction and reality. Because, in the end, whatever happened is long over. Instead, he changes the subject. “So you call me up to tell me that we have to go shopping, but you don’t want to tell me what we actually have to go shopping for. Maybe I should call the police, because this feels like borderline kidnapping,” Matt jokes. “Hmm, well you’re over eighteen, and I’m still a minor, so I don’t think it would be possible for me to get charged with kidnapping. Oh, and the fact that you came willingly,” I teased. “Wait, you’re still seventeen? Now I feel like I’m robbing the cradle.” “Don’t you worry. I’ll be legal in August.” “Wow, you’re one of those late Summer babies. Tell me, did you ever feel developmentally behind your peers?” “If you’re getting at what I think you’re getting at then one, you perv! Two, God made me this way so shut up! And three, I was always intellectually above the rest, so no,” I joked. Matt laughed. “Has anyone ever told you that you should be a pilot, because your name is the combination of the Wright Brothers and Amelia Earhart?” “Yes actually. My parents aren’t very creative people. I try to block out the notion of me being a pilot. Especially since I’m afraid of heights and planes.” Matt chuckled. “I don’t know what would have been more effective, naming you Amelia, or Failure?” “Jerk!” I teased. We pull into the shopping center, and I park the car. Matt still doesn’t know that I plan to take him clothes shopping, but that will be the last thing we do. I realize that you have to ease men into shopping. First the party store, which I can only imagine will make him very happy. Matt and I enter Party City. I have a list of things that we are going to need, but Matt runs straight for the masks and headgear. “No! Bad Matt! We need to focus on the party.” Matt puts on a pair of bunny ears. “Do you think Hugh Hefner will let me into his mansion with these.” “No I think you need to grow a pair, and I’m not talking about your testicles.” He mockingly chuckles. “You think you’re so clever!” “That’s because I am. C’mon, we need to focus. Why don’t you grab plates, cups, utensils, and napkins?” “Oh that’s the boring stuff!” he whined. “You want to look at the decorations, be my guest.” What was it about party stores that brought out the inner child in men? James always acts the same way when we go here around Halloween. Quickly I grab all the ‘boring stuff’ and try to find Matt. He is frozen in the middle of the aisle just staring at the wall of choices in front of him. I think his brain is overloaded. “Matt,” I say sweetly. He snaps out of his trance and looks over at me. “Whaa?” Wow, he can’t even make full words. “I have some lanterns and a couple strings of lights, so all we need are streamers. We don’t want it to look like a Fourth of July or Grad party so lets get some of these multicolor metallic streamers. How does that sound?” “Good,” he says curtly. I buy all the items and bring everything out to the car. I start it up and head over to the mall, which is only a little bit down the street. Luckily, Matt snapped out of his dumbfoundedness, which will make clothes shopping easier. Next we went looking for clothes in Macy’s. When I explained how he needed an outfit where he looked sharp, Matt didn’t understand what “sharp” actually meant. “I think I’m rather sharp looking now,” he said, wearing cargo shorts, a striped polo, and loafers. “What I mean is you need a dress shirt, tie, and slacks.” His eyes filled with dread, “You want me to go formal wear shopping?” “It’s not really formal. It honestly shouldn’t take that long if you stop whining about it,” I say. “You know, I don’t even do this unpleasant experience with my Mom, and you expect me to do it for you.” “You’re getting some action out of it, so I don’t see why you’re complaining,” I explain. “Fake action,” he corrects. “You can’t really fake kissing, but then again you actually did. Nevermind.” I pause as I think of a better answer. “You are getting the wonderful experience of having me make you look handsome, which you will be able to use long after this movie is over. How does that sound?” An unsatisfied groan was all he could manage to say. While we were in Men’s, a store clerk walked over to us and took Matt’s measurements. We used these numbers to look for a shirt, which I eventually forced him to try on. Light colors would look great on him, but I could tell Matt was the type that felt too manly to wear pink or purple. Looks like I’ll have to go with blue. I let Matt go over to the various tables of ties, and pick out his favorite. I remind him that he is paying for it, so that might also account for which ties he likes best. Finally, we look for a pair of pants. They didn’t need to be dress pants, like ones that match a suit jacket, but just a pair of khakis. When I explained this to Matt, he didn’t understand. Obviously, clothes were not a main priority to him. I grab a pair that looks like they would fit him, and force him into a dressing room. I sit in the comfy chair outside waiting for him to walk out and show me what he looks like. I realize he’s probably embarrassed, or nervous, or some stupid emotion that he shouldn’t have, because he’ll look fine. I knock on the door and don’t hear anything, so I walk in. Let’s just say that Matt is a boxer’s kind of guy. “Sorry!” I shout as I quickly close the door. He finishes getting dressed and opens it. “Seems like someone wants a preview of Matty before our little bit of wrestling.” He was taking it much better than I was. “Shut up! I feel bad for walking in on you!” “It’s not a big deal. It’s not like I was naked or something actually embarrassing.” He smiled and reassured me everything was okay. “Why aren’t you wearing your tie?” I ask. “Well, this is embarrassing.” Matt looks down at the floor then back up at me. “I don’t know how to tie one.” I smirk. “Here.” I begin to help him, looping the fabric over itself then pulling it through. “What? No remark?” he asks as I tie it. “Nope, not this time.” I smile. I looked at him. His pastel blue shirt with the ornate tie, and tan colored pants made him look so handsome. I didn’t think it was possible for him to be more attractive. I was clearly wrong. Matt cuffed up his sleeves and loosened his tie a little. For not liking dressing up, he pulled it off well. “And can you remind me in what scene of the movie I actually need to wear this?” asked Matt. “Ethan takes Amy out for dinner somewhere special, so they both get dressed up.” “Then isn’t your dress supposed to match or something?” “It isn’t Prom. We don’t have to match.” “Oh.” I chuckle. “Well, what do you think?” “I look banging. Every girl is going to want a piece of me when I look this classy.” He laughs. “Yeah, well don’t let it all go to your head.” “My ass even looks good in these pants. It’s okay, you can stare.” I laugh. Matt gets dressed, and we go to check out. There was an older woman at the cash register. She had the countenance of my grandma. “Hello,” she said sweetly. “Hi,” both Matt and I say, and smile back at her. “Is that everything?” “Yes,” says Matt. “Wow, this is such a handsome outfit. You know you’re girlfriend did a wonderful job helping you,” she smiled at Matt, then looked over at me and winked. As I was about to correct her, Matt interjected. He wrapped his arm around my waist and said, “I know right? Isn’t she just wonderful? I mean if she’s able to put up with me, she has to be.” The woman’s smile extends. “What’s the special occasion?” “It’s my cousin’s wedding. She’s having this lovely summer wedding outside under a pavilion. I’m excited. Are you dear?” I say. “Of course I am sweetheart. Any chance I get to dance with you….” Matt trails off and stares into my eyes, one of those lovey-dovey looks. The woman’s eyes start to water a little bit. “You know, there are some lovely Ladies and Junior dresses on sale. Maybe you want to match your boyfriend’s outfit?” Matt gives me a look. “You deserve to look gorgeous at your cousin’s wedding. Put the bride to shame, you know?” he chuckled. The lady laughed as well, and finished ringing up everything. After leaving with new clothes in his hands, it almost seemed like he was up for more shopping. “So let’s go look at those dresses!” he said. “You really want to sit through me trying on dresses? Do you know how hard it is for a girl to find a dress that fits them, let alone matches?” “It’s because of the boobs isn’t it?” He smirks. No, it’s because of my insecurities, I thought. “Yes, it’s because it’s hard to fit the whole package.” We walk over to the dresses. I pick up a few things and head to the dressing room. Matt tries to walk into the room with me. “Are you nuts? You’re not going to see me in my underwear willingly!” I shout. He laughs, “What about an eye for an eye?” “Very funny. I’m locking the door.” I always felt at odds with my body. I never thought I was fat, but I never felt skinny either. When I was little, my mother told me I had baby fat. Once I entered high school, I didn’t lose weight. I stayed the same poundage, but grew taller. All of my “baby fat” was redistributed, but I still have a little bit of a tummy. It’s barely noticeable, but I still see it. Chelsea and Miranda say I’m crazy, because they don’t see what I’m talking about. I see my body every day, and have seen it changed over my seventeen years of life. I still see that hint of baby fat, but I try not to make myself go crazy over it. It’s not worth getting an eating disorder over. It just makes me self-conscious when it comes to clothes shopping. I become obsessed with making sure my clothes accentuate my better features, or that they aren’t too tight on my stomach. Essentially, this is why I prefer shopping by myself, rather than forcing Matt to suffer through the pain of waiting for me to find the perfect dress. I try on the various dresses, but none of them fit nicely, or they are too skanky. I get changed back into my clothes and see Matt sitting outside the door. “Finished already?” “Yup.” “But you didn’t even show me how they looked.” “I figured I’d spare you the pain,” I joked. Matt actually seemed a little disappointed. “I’m going to get more, so if a dress fits, I’ll show you, okay?” “Yeah, whatever,” he said nonchalantly. He didn’t want to seem too interested. I grab a few more dresses, and head back to the fitting room. Only one dress looked half-decent. It was a white dress with blue, purple, and green flowers. The dress had an empire waist, with a thick and silky ribbon that tied in the back. I open the door, and Matt’s eyes perk up. “Can you zip and tie me?” “My pleasure!” “Okay, you don’t have to be that excited about it.” “Hmm, purple bra. Does that mean you have purple panties to match?” he asks as he zips up the dress. “Okay, I knew it was a bad idea to ask you,” I say, trying not to chuckle. “Don’t worry, you’re secret is safe with me,” he whispers Matt finishes tying me, and I turn around to face him. “And what secret is that?” Matt smiles his devilish smile. “That you’re a prude.” I was speechless. My mouth hung wide open, but it started to turn into a smile. “Oh, so it’s true? Looks like I just might have to change that.” He smiles widely. “Let’s focus at the task at hand. You think this dress is suitable for Amy?” “Yes, it looks pretty,” he said in the most sincere voice I have ever heard him use. “Thanks.” I smile. “Okay, let’s get outta here.” After I purchase my dress, we have to walk past a few stores to get to the mall entrance. As we pass Victoria’s Secret, Matt’s eyes were sparked with intrigue. “Now why couldn’t we go in there? Don’t you need some underwear or something?” he joked. “No. I refuse to bring you in that store! If you want to stare at all the models, then be my guest, but only on your own time.” “But it’s like this unwritten rule that guys shouldn’t be in there without a girl, otherwise it’s pervy. C’mon! That lady totally bought us as a couple. Please?” Matt gave me a pouty lip and puppy eyes. “Not this time Matty. Maybe another day. I don’t think I’d be able to handle you all by myself in there.” “You really are a prude, and no fun,” he joked. “I better get you back home to your mom. Now if she knew what you were up to, I don’t think she’d be very happy with me.” He laughed. “My mom’s learned to expect the worst when it comes to me and my ‘shenanigans.’” We make our way to my car, and hop in. The ride home was filled with talking and laughter. There was something weird about it though. It wasn’t stated or defined, but it was just there, something unwritten. It was almost like we knew we were friends, and maybe more. We are put into these roles of playing a couple, and it feels almost natural. There was something about Matt that I couldn’t quite decipher though. I don’t know what it is, but I know I’ll figure it out.

If there is one thing that Summer has taught me, it is that night swimming is the solution to my worrying. Every Friday during the summer, Miranda, Chelsea, and I have a tradition of movies, sleepovers, and night swimming. During this time, we rotate whose house we were staying at. While I don’t have a pool, we manage to sneak out of the house and walk a couple doors down to Adam’s house, which does have a pool. Honestly, I think my parents would have been fine with it, but being young and stupid, we like the thrill of possibly getting in trouble. Every summer when we do this, it always stirs up weird feelings in me. Neither Miranda nor I are really friends with Adam, yet he’s had us over his house for night swimming since we were twelve. Adam is nice I guess. It’s hard to describe someone you barely know. Chelsea would always defend him when Miranda and I would gang up on her about Adam being a jackass. Well, more like Miranda arguing with Chelsea. I tended to stay out of it. “You guys don’t know him like I do,” stated Chelsea. “Just because his tongue hasn’t memorized the depths of our mouths doesn’t mean we can’t see how much of a d he is!” shouted Miranda. “You think that because my boyfriend is older than me he obviously must me using me for sex. FYI Miranda, we’re both virgins!” “He’s not your boyfriend! He won’t even call himself that!” Let me just say that Adam Kenslack is two years older than all of us, and that this fight happened about two years ago. It’s pretty safe to assume that neither of them are virgins, especially since Adam has been in college for two years now. Miranda argued with Chelsea nonstop over Adam. At first I thought it was because Miranda liked him or had a secret fling with him. Eventually, I realized that it was deep-rooted concern that made her this way. Miranda usually has this quite and motherly way about her. She was never to type to outwardly say you were making a mistake; rather she’d make you feel guilty about it, like mothers. It’s hard to describe Miranda, because she just is. She knows when to be outrageous like Chelsea, and when to be quiet like me. She mixes our personalities well, and keeps the balance in our group. This fight was the only time that things were not balanced. I will explain that Chelsea isn’t a whore. She’s just misguided. I could honestly say that she loves Adam, but this turns into another one of those stories about unrequited love. Adam only saw her, and continues to see her, as a sex object. I don’t blame him though. When Chelsea knows that we are going to see Adam, she takes her long curly blonde hair out of the ponytail that she always wears it in. Then she applies some eyeshadow and mascara. To top it all of, Chelsea wears the most reveling shirt, dress, or bathing suit that she owns. I always wondered what went on inside of Chelsea’s head. I always thought she had a lot of things going for her. She is pretty, nice, and definitely has a personality. I always felt she could get any guy she wanted, but Chelsea only wants the guy that isn’t interested. I’m not saying that Adam is an asshole, though it has crossed my mind a couple of times, but I think he doesn’t know what he wants. Right now, all he’s concerned about is having fun. While Chelsea wants people to believe that, I know she really just wants someone, a significant other. I guess it’s true that when you’re pretty, it’s harder to find meaningful relationships, because everything is vain and on the surface. --- It is always at 11:00 that we arrive at Adam’s house. He is waiting by the gate to his back yard, and unlocks it to let us in. “Hello ladies,” he smiled. It always felt creepy when he called us “ladies.” It is like he’s singling each of us out and comparing our physical qualities to each other, but also grouping us as having vaginas and boobs at the same time. “Hey Adam!” shouted Chelsea as she ran over to him to give him a hug. “Hi,” Miranda and I said curtly. Miranda’s greet had a hint of animosity, while mine was just awkward. While Chelsea only came over to see Adam, Miranda and I came to see Jenna, Adam’s sister. Adam’s parents never minded that we were there late at night. I think they were just glad that their kids had friends, especially since we are genuinely nice girls. I figured the reason Jenna and Adam didn’t have friends was because Jenna was always picked on a lot in school for being a curvier girl. Adam, on the other hand, I always thought it was his “act now, think later” type of attitude that left him without many friends. Regardless, the Kenslack home was usually void of visitors, and I think Mr. and Mrs. Kenslack appreciated a little break from that. “Hey Jenna!” squealed Miranda as she hugs Jenna. “I see you brought the whore,” said Jenna, half joking, but also half serious. “Yeah, well what do you expect,” breathed Miranda. “Hey, feels like I haven’t seen you in forever!” I say, trying to change the subject. “It feels like we only see each other during the summer, even though we live right down the street.” “Yeah I know. It’s terrible!” I say. While Chelsea and Adam have already made their way to the pool, splashing and horsing around in the water, Jenna, Miranda, and I sit on the deck and relax. Usually we spend this time playing a card game. Fluxx is our favorite. “So what new with you guys?” asked Jenna. “Nothing really. We’re making a movie, though. We might need you to be an extra,” I explain. “Sure!” Jenna’s eyes lit up, “What’s it about?” “A lot of things,” I say vaguely. “It’s about an abusive relationship, and it’s spiral out of control. Amelia’s character tries to escape through the help of her new love interest. And I am the one that helps to orchestrate it. Chelsea is the bitchy girl that ends up with Amelia’s ex in the end.” Jenna’s eyes were still interested, but her demeanor saddened slightly. “Sounds kinda depressing.” “It is,” I say. “You’ll never believe who Amelia got to play her love interest!” “Miranda!” I nudge her. Jenna’s green eyes exploded with interest. “Who?” “Matt Meter!” Jenna squealed. Like I said before, Matt was not necessarily popular, like the jocks, but he was well known for his personality and looks. “And his friend Jay Sanders is in the movie with us!” “Okay, do you seriously have to brag about that?” I ask. “NO WAY! How did innocent Amelia bag the two hottest guys in school? Personally, I’m a bigger fan of the surfer-looking one,” giggles Jenna. I roll my eyes. “You know, I can be persuasive and charming when I try.” I slyly smile. They both laugh. “No offense Mel, but you are so awkward sometimes. You freeze up whenever you feel uncomfortable, and that’s like all the time,” states Miranda. “No I don’t! I’ll admit that I have my shamelessly awkward moments, but I’m not always that way.” “Whatever you say,” said Miranda. “Did I mention we got to see them shirtless, and that Matt kissed Amelia?” “Shut up!” shouts Jenna and elbows me. “It wasn’t a real kiss. He put his thumbs over my lips.” “Fine, ruin our fun!” jokes Miranda. While Jenna was thoroughly enjoying this topic, her eyes give me a look. She always had the most expressive eyes. They were warning me. “While I believe that Matt is one of the finest examples of a male specimen, I would just watch out if I were you. I hear he’s a lady killer,” states Jenna. “Matt and I aren’t going to fall in love and all that crap. It’s not like that. I know he’s a flirt. Don’t worry.” “I’m just saying that I’ve heard a lot of things about him. While he is a really nice guy to be friends with, because he is fun, I hear he’s a terrible boyfriend. Not only that, but I’ve heard a lot of other things about him,” says Jenna. Her eyes look down at her cards, and avoid my eyes and Miranda’s too. “What do you mean,” asks Miranda. “I probably shouldn’t repeat it. It was study hall gossip that I overheard….” She trailed off. “Well, I can decide whether I want to believe it, so just say it,” I demand. “I heard he has a criminal record. I don’t know what he did, but I just know that he’s been arrested for something in the past. It was before he moved here.” “So what? That would make him like at the most sixteen when he committed the crime?” inferred Miranda. Was that what Matt was hiding from me, I thought. Was that the look I couldn’t decipher? “We don’t know if it is true. And even if it is, it could be a lot of things: possession of drugs, stealing, underage drinking, vandalism, or soliciting a prostitute. None of those are really that serious,” I state. “Yeah, but what if it’s something more serious than a misdemeanor. Some felonies are really bad Amelia, like assault,” said Jenna in a concerned tone. “I’m sure if it were true and really bad, it would have spread like wildfire through the school. Anyway, Matt probably would have said something if he needed to. He seems like a nice guy, so I don’t see why he wouldn’t have felt like he could trust us with that,” explains Miranda. What if it was something so terrible he felt ashamed and that’s why he didn’t want to tell us, I thought. What if there is some truth to this? “Miranda’s right. We shouldn’t assume anything. Especially since Matt hasn’t given us a reason not to trust him,” I state. “Alright. I’m just letting you guys know.” Suddenly we all realize a silence that has taken over the yard. Jenna, Miranda, and I look up from our card game and look at the pool. There, Chelsea and Adam look cozy in the corner. Chelsea, sitting on the ladder, is joking and talking with Adam, who is biting his lip and staring into her eyes. This is how Adam looks whenever he is about to kiss a girl. “Disgusting,” said Jenna under her breath. “Hey Chels, like the view. Thanks for the show!” shouted Miranda sarcastically, as she gave them two thumbs up. Chelsea breaks Adam’s stare, looks over at us, and scrunches up her face in disgust that we ruined her moment. “When will she ever learn?” asked Miranda. “When will he ever learn?” asked Jenna. “Never,” I state. There was something about this statement that hit us in a funny way. Jenna and Miranda both looked at me. Maybe it was the serious tone I used, but after it was said, we all felt sullen. It was like a dark cloud hung over us. We knew that for as long as we all lived Brookdale, Chelsea and Adam were going to be a fling. This was a never-ending circle of lust and heartbreak. Chelsea will always take Adam into her arms, and Adam will always use her every Summer. Once it’s time to go back to school, things will go back to normal. That’s how it has happened for as long as I can remember, and that’s how it is going to stay – never fully friends, but never fully lovers. --- We didn’t get back to my house until about 2 am. We each had a turn taking showers, and while Chelsea was showering, Miranda said something to me. It felt secretive the way she went about whispering it. “I know you think that sometimes I’m a little hard on Chelsea about Adam, but I have my reasons,” she explains. “What do you mean?” Miranda moved closer to me, and whispered softly to make sure Chelsea couldn’t overhear it. “A couple years ago, I missed the bus home. I didn’t have a ride, but Adam was there and since we all hang out during the summer I asked if I could use his cell phone. In order to have some privacy, I walked down the hall. But as I was trying to dial the number, a text message popped up, and I accidentally opened it. Adam was sexting some girl. I don’t even remember who it was now, but at this time, he was getting really close to Chelsea. Her years of crushing on Adam looked like they were starting to turn into something. Don’t get me wrong, I was happy for her---” “We all were,” I interject. “Yes, we were. But when I saw the message, I looked at his other messages, and it had been going back for months.” Miranda pauses and recollects herself. “Adam was never interested in being Chelsea’s boyfriend. He just wanted a f*** buddy. I tried to warn her, and explain that to her, but I’m sure it’s far too late. They’ve probably been f*ing for years,” Miranda explained as her blue eyes saddened. She didn’t have to say anything more. I knew what she was hinting at. Chelsea and Adam’s sexual relationship probably meant mindless f*ing for Adam, but to Chelsea, it was a deep-rooted attachment and love. For it to last this long, and for them to not have the same feelings for each other, someone is going to get hurt. “Why are you telling me this now? Why haven’t you told Chelsea?” I asked. “Because you would believe me, and she won’t. You need to know more,” She said, her eyes now in pain. “After I called my parents, I still couldn’t get a ride. No one would be able to come until six o’clock. So I give Adam his phone back, and he asks if I have a way home. I tell him I don’t but that I’ll be fine. He insists on giving me a ride. I couldn’t really refuse. Wait three hours or be home in like fifteen minutes? Needless to say, I took the ride.” I nod for Miranda to continue. She takes a deep breath. “The ride for the most part was quiet. He was nice I guess. Adam was never really mean to us, you know? Adam parks his car in my driveway, and does the whole goodbye thing. But he puts his hand on my knee, and moves it up my thigh.” Miranda’s voice is now shaky, trying hard not to cry or to be noisy. “Under most circumstances I would have to slapped him or pushed him off of me, and forget it ever happened. But because I was wearing a skirt that day, he tried to finger me, Amelia. I mean he’s dropping me off at my house and I’m about to hop out of his car and he’s trying to fucking finger me, while he’s sexting some other girl, and trying to get into Chelsea’s pants!” Miranda says, trying to hold back from yelling, but ends up crying. “Oh my God! I’m so sorry Miranda. I-I didn’t know!” “He is the most disgusting person I know,” Miranda said. “What did you do? What happened?” “I froze, but only for a second. I went b****-crazy on him. I started shouting and slapping, then told him I was going to call the cops. He held my arms down and covered my mouth. He said nothing happened, and that he would deny it if I called the cops or told anyone about it. So I didn’t say anything. Nobody knows this except you.” Miranda’s wet eyes look up at me, now blood shot and weak. I hold Miranda for a little bit, until we hear the shower turn off. Miranda quickly collects herself, puts on a happy façade. Chelsea walks in and starts talking to us, like nothing has changed. I look over at Miranda. Her eyes don’t look the same anymore – not after what I have just learned. I guess this is where Miranda and I differ. She would never put up with someone trying to hurt her. I did.

Take 7 If there is one thing that humans have taught me, it is that we are totally unpredictable. The party scene is only a few days away now. Chelsea and I volunteered to get food for the party. Any sort of alcoholic beverages are banned from the cast as long as we are still shooting. We decided to promote sobriety by letting Jay take care of that for his guests. “Pretzels, chips, M&Ms, popcorn, salsa, and other various candies. I think we are set,” states Chelsea. “Three bottles of Coke, two Dr. Pepper’s, and one Sprite should be enough for beverages too,” I say. “Is there anything else we need to be aware of? Like what’s going on in the script?” “Am I the only one that treats the script like our Bible for this movie?” I ask. Chelsea just stares at me, giving me a weird look. “Nevermind. Basically there’s a lot of dancing and conversing. Remember, Amy is still with Daniel, but she goes to the party because she wants to meet and talk with Ethan. He sees her from across the yard, and then they start to dance. Nothing sexual, just friendly. Then finally they get to talking, and well you know. It’s a lot of flirting and giggling. Then Erin pulls her away, because Daniel is freaking out, so they leave.” “Any special camerawork?” “I mean I was planning on getting a lot of exterior shots. You know, like shooting the people that come and really try to get the party vibe from it.” “Makes sense. Have you had a chance to look at some of the other things that I’ve been shooting? I think my cameraworking is coming along nicely,” Chelsea smiles. “Only some of it to be honest. I mean there’s a lot of footage, which is good. That means there a lot for me to work with when I start to edit it. I will say what I have seen is really good. You’re a lot better at framing than I thought you would be. Plus you aren’t just continually doing wide shots because it is easier. I like the close-ups that I’ve seen. They especially accentuate Miranda’s make-up skills.” Chelsea smiles again. “Enough movie talk. Today we need to do your scenes with Miranda. And I know that we are going to need a school, so I was thinking we could use Brookdale Area Community College, since it will be open because of summer classes, where high schools are usually closed.” “Chelsea, that’s a brilliant idea!” I exclaimed. “I know, I was pretty proud of it myself. I mean we’ll have all the locations we could ever need. Plus, you and Miranda are going to be going there, so you’ll have student ID’s if we need to shoot in restricted areas. And, people won’t be breathing down our necks like they would in high school.” “That’s great! You’re right. It’s honestly perfect. Anyway, like you said, enough movie talk. We should go film.” --- After filming I was wiped. I am kind of glad that Chelsea’s role is minor, because she is such a huge asset to filming. Once we finished and cleared all cameras into my car, I had to go meet up with Jay and finalize the party plans. I had all the food at home, so I had to go pick it up. Before I could leave, Chelsea and Miranda had a talk with me. “So where are you headed off to? We should just assume that you and Matt are f*ing, right?” said Chelsea bluntly. “Now wait a second Chels. Jay is going to get mad if he sees his bromance hooking up with a girl right under his nose. You know they are totally having a devils-threeway,” explains Miranda. “You guys are so funny,” I say sarcastically. “Seriously, what’s going on?” asked Chelsea, her eyes looking concerned, along with Miranda’s. “I’m just dropping the food off at Jay’s, and maybe Matt will be there. I don’t have anything actually planned.” My eyes hit the ground at the end of my sentence. I couldn’t look at them. As much as I keep saying that I’m not interested in Matt and that he isn’t interested in me, it’s kind of hard to show that. I guess we have great chemistry, and work well off of each other, onscreen and off. Matt has no plans of dating me, especially since he has other girls he’s hanging out with. I’ll admit it, I like being with Matt. I can’t explain it, but there is something about him. He makes me feel alive, like every time we are together, we’re going on some crazy and new adventure. I never know what to expect with him. In the end though, that doesn’t make him a good boyfriend. You want something dependable, like your PB&J you eat every day for lunch, not the spicy fajita. While the fajita has more flavor, eventually you get tired of it, and maybe it even starts to make you sick. “Yeah, but you want to,” states Miranda. I look back up, but say nothing. Miranda’s eyes meet mine, and her expression changes. She is a little surprised. I didn’t shoot her a glare, so I don’t understand the change in her expression. I look over at Chelsea, but her expression didn’t change. Miranda quickly changes the subject. “So what are you going to wear for the party scene?” “A dress over my bathing suit,” I state. “Which one?” asks Chelsea. “Bathing suit or dress?” “Well, both,” she replies. “I was planning on wearing my black tankini under my gray, striped dress.” “That’s so boring Amelia!” shouts Chelsea. “This is like the scene in the movie where Ethan and Amy fall for each other. Like we need to make you look smoking---” “But like totally naturally beautiful,” interrupts Chelsea. “Okay, I didn’t know it was that big of a deal,” I say rolling my eyes, even though I really did know. I hate bathing suits, and I have certain hang-ups about my body. One of them is showing all of my legs and stomach. Seriously, bathing suits are the lingerie of the sea. It just gives guys an excuse to ogle and stare at me. No thank you. “You are totally borrowing one of my cute bathing suits for the shoot,” stated Chelsea. “You are like a whole cup size bigger than me,” I explain. “Then you are borrowing one of mine. I have a ton that would match the black bottoms you have. It’s cool; I don’t have boob germs,” smiles Miranda. I smile back, but don’t say anything. “And I know that you have way cuter dresses than that gray one you always use as a cover up! What about that electric blue and black one that’s striped at the top and has a flouncy black skit bottom?” suggests Miranda. “You mean the one that’s like halfway up my ass?” “Oh my God, Amelia. It’s not that short. I’ve worn shorter. Plus you have the long legs to pull it off,” states Chelsea. “Fine.” “And you can wear those really cute sandals you have with the gems on them. Matt will be so shocked when he sees you. It’ll be great!” squealed Chelsea. “He probably won’t notice it that much. He’s a guy. He doesn’t focus on all the details, just the overall appearance… Which means that Amelia has to be confident in order to look sexy hot!” states Miranda. “Anyway, let’s not stress on Matt. He’s just a boy after all. And we don’t need Mel to feel that she has to be guy dependent or physically a goddess to get some guy’s five minutes of approval.” This is why Miranda was my favorite, I thought. --- I arrive at Jay’s house with all of the food, and of course, Matt was there too. “Hey, so here’s everything that Chelsea and I got for the party.” Jay’s house was empty – his parents were gone already. If it weren’t for Matt, the house probably would be dead silent too. “This is what Matt and I got for the party.” Jay points to a pile of alcoholic beverages that were located next to his fridge. “We were planning on having a few. Did you want a drink?” I hate that feeling that I can’t just be myself, because I feel like everyone is going to think I’m lame and too afraid to take risks. That’s why I was so glad most of my friends didn’t party and drink all the time. “Nah I can’t. I’m driving, it’s best that I don’t.” “Yeah, you’re probably right,” said Jay, and then he dropped it. There was no comment from Matt either except, “You owe me 20 dollars,” which he said with a grin to Jay. “You guys bet on whether I would accept a drink,” I ask as I plop down on the couch, sitting across from Matt. “I said you wouldn’t because you’re too much of a goody-goody, and don’t want to break the law,” stated Matt. “I said you would because we are in the perfect environment to enjoy a drink – No parents. Plus, I figured you stay for a little while,” says Jay as his eyes shift from me over to Matt. Wow, even Jay thought there was something. I guess Matt and Jay talk about everything. I mean they are really close. “I actually just wanted to finalize some plans quickly and then go. I really wasn’t planning on staying.” “That’s fine,” says Jay. He goes to the fridge and grabs a beer. He grabs two and throws one to Matt. “Nah, I’m good for right now,” Matt states and throws it back. “Alright,” Jay says, a little confused, and he puts the beer back in the fridge. “Anyway, what did you want to talk about,” Jay asks me. “I wanted to let you know that the crew is getting here at four o’clock to decorate and set up equipment for filming. And can you boys promise to be sober while shooting? I’d rather you not slurring out your lines.” “If that’s the case, you’ll have to do it early in the night. You can’t honestly expect us to not drink from five to nine because you want it to be dark out when we shoot,” explains Matt. “Fine. But I just hope you’re aware how you are affecting my vision,” I say jokingly. “Yeah, yeah,” Jay kids. “Alright, well I’ll let you guys get back to boozing… or not. I have a list of music that I have to sort through and choose. Fun,” I say sarcastically. I get up from the couch, then Jay and Matt walk me to the door and I drive away. Something about leaving felt weird. I wish I would have stayed. I wanted to, but I couldn’t. I was intruded on their time. I wanted to be with Matt, and only Matt. If I stayed, I would have been the awkward third wheel. --- It’s now eight o’clock, and the July sky still hasn’t turned dark yet. The blue and orange colors mingle overhead as I am sitting on my deck with my laptop listening to music. Miranda, being the music coordinator, burnt me a CD of songs she was thinking would work well in the movie. I uploaded it to iTunes and gave “Save Me” it’s own playlist. While I do appreciate her interest, Miranda’s musical taste is very different from mine. Even though I had my ear buds in, I heard something behind me. I start to turn around, and there was Matt. I pull my ear buds out so fast that it left my ears red. “What are you doing here? How do you know where I live?” I ask. “I do know how to stalk people. Anyway, lets go for a ride.” “Did you walk though my house to get here? Did you talk to my Mom?” “Wow, you’re full of questions tonight! Of course I talked to your Mom. And yes, I had to walk through your house to get to your back yard. That’s kind of how it works.” I just stare at him. “So you up for that ride?” “What did you say to her?” “So are you really not going to talk to me? Fine, I told her I am a friend of yours, and that I wanted to talk to you. She told me you were back here. I really don’t see the big deal. I mean you do have friends, so visitors aren’t like weird. Unless it’s the “boy-thing” that your worried about. Don’t worry, I’ll fully inform your Mom that we are making a movie in which we have a sex scene, and we will be barely clothed.” He always did relish in seeing me squirm. “Shhhh! Keep you’re voice down.” “Wow, that’s the first thing you said that wasn’t a question. So are you ready to go?” “I hope you aren’t delusional, because there is no way in hell I’m getting into a car with you without knowing where you are taking me.” “Oh, so you can take me to the mall to go clothes shopping without informing me, but I can’t do the same to you? And I thought we were equals in this fake relationship. C’mon!” he said with a smile. “I don’t think you understand. There is no way my Mom is letting me leave the house with some guy she’s never met at dinnertime without knowing where I will be.” “We’ll, it’s like after dinner, but whatever. And you’re lack of faith in my abilities is rather disheartening. Parents love me, Amelia.” I roll my eyes. “Regardless, I’m not letting you kidnap me.” “It’s not technically kidnapping if---” I cut him off, “I’m a minor. It technically is.” I smirk. “Fine, don’t go on the awesome adventure with me. It’s like one of those types of things that I never do, but I was making a special exception for you, but whatever,” he said sarcastically. I wanted badly to trust him, but I kept thinking about what Jenna said. What is Matt hiding? “Why aren’t you with Jay right now?” “We don’t always hang out with each other. Plus, he was getting tired of me. I can always tell. So are you going to come willingly or am I going to have to throw you over my shoulder, fireman-style?” I looked apprehensive to trust him. I could tell, because his eyes got sweeter. They softened. He takes my hand, and smiles. “You’re going to want to bring a jacket. I swear you won’t regret it.” I pause for a moment, “Fine.” I grab my laptop, and let him lead me back into my house. “Hold on, let me bring this up to my room,” I say, and he starts to follow me. “I’m sorry, but no boys allowed in my room. But feel free to talk with my Mom and let her know where you’re taking me.” I go upstairs to my room and grab my iPod, and the folded up piece of paper Miranda gave me, describing were the songs would fit into the movie. Might as well have it to finish listening and picking songs I like. I go back to the living room, and see Matt standing by the door, talking to my Mom, and she was giggling. “Well, you guys have fun. But have her back before eleven,” my Mom smiled at Matt, then winked at me, and walked back into the kitchen. Once we are outside my house I say, “Three hours?” “I told you I was good,” he smiled. We get to his car, and he opens the door for me. He hops in and looks at the iPod in my hands. “Here,” he says, and plugs it into his car’s stereo. “Play me the music you’ve been selecting.” “Fine, but I’ll have to warn you, when I told Miranda that I needed serious toned music, she took that as different rap songs and Lady Gaga.” Matt chuckled and started to pull out of the driveway. “Yeah, well, I can think of a few songs that aren’t too bad.” “Here, let me play you the playlist of songs I created. This one is Breakable by Ingrid Michaelson.” The ride became pretty quite since we were listening to songs. “This is Near to You by A Fine Frenzy. I feel like this describes the two different relationships that Daniel and Ethan have with Amy.” “Yeah, I can see that.” “This one is Gravity by Sara Bareilles.” “Okay.” “You aren’t saying much about what you think of the songs.” “Should I? I mean, I am listening.” I shut up and let him listen to the music. “This is Belt by Regina Spektor.” Matt starts to bob his head with every hit of the high-hat. Then looks over at me while I chuckle at his movement. “This one is Keep Breathing by Ingrid Michaelson, again. This one I was planning on playing during the climax of the film, and also have it play in the teaser trailer I was planning on making.” “You know, you have a lot of female artists.” “They all aren’t. This next one is Sweet Perfection by Never Shout Never.” “Wow, one male artist.” “Finally, this song kinda helped me while I was writing. This is Save Me by Aimee Mann.” After the song ends I ask Matt, “So what do you think. Be honest.” “When am I not honest? I mean they weren’t bad songs, but I didn’t hear the sex scene song. I mean they were all really serious, but you do need to find some upbeat music. And they don’t need to be happy, but danceable. Let the audience feel what Amy is feeling when she is with Ethan. Most of the songs describe how she feels when she’s with Daniel. They’re good, especially the last one, but get my iPod. It’s in the glove compartment. Plus you’re music is making it such a Lifetime movie. Let me add some masculine music to it.” I grab his iPod and plug it into his stereo. “Find The Dress Looks Nice on You by Sufjan Stevens. This is the song that I think should be played when Ethan sees Amy at the party. And I think it should be brought back when they are about to have sex. It’s so sweet and intimate. That’s their relationship.” “That’s beautiful!” “Next find Little Bit by Lykke Li. And don’t lie. It totally describes how girls think.” “Yeah, we’ll see.” “Girls don’t want to go for a guy, unless they think the guy likes them. Admit it, that’s totally how girls are. They expect the guys to do all the work.” I don’t say anything, but I crack a smile, and Matt sees it. “Finally, get Need You Now by Cut Copy. You can’t deny the beat and feeling that it has. It takes you over!” “It’s so 80’s feeling, though,” I chuckle. “I don’t see what’s wrong with that,” Matt smiles. “Matt, I hope you know that I need you now,” I joke. “Yo girl, don’t make me take off my belt!” Matt joked back. “So are we almost there? I mean you have been driving a while.” “Yeah, we’re here,” Matt says as he parks the car on the gravel portion near a wooded area. It looked like a campsite, but I had never been here before. “Are you going to explain to me why you brought me to a secluded area in the middle of the night?” I ask, now a little nervous. Why would Matt bring me here? What does he have planned?

Take 8 If there is one thing that church has taught me, it is to expect the best from people. On the other hand, life has taught me to expect the worst. “It’s not to murder you, if that’s what you’re asking,” Matt jokes. “Seriously, what’s going on?” I demand. “Chill out,” Matt smiles. “You need to trust me. Have some faith. Not every guy is a f*ing asshole that wants to hurt you.” Matt said it in a light way that made it feel like he was joking. At the same time, it hit me like Matt knew more than he was leading on. Matt popped the trunk of his car, and pulled out two folding chairs, newspaper, matches, chocolate bars, wooden skewers, marshmallows, and graham crackers. “We’re having s’mores?” I ask, now very excited, and feeling a little stupid for doubting Matt’s intentions. “I figured we might as well, since I thought this would be a great area to shoot at. Seems like it would be a nice place for Ethan and Amy to have a date, don’t you think?” “Yeah, definitely.” Was Matt really talking about the movie, or was he talking about us? Matt gathered some twigs and lit some newspaper to get the fire started. I unfolded the chairs and looked through his car for some napkins. “If men are so messy, why is it that you guys don’t have napkins?” “Men don’t need napkins. That’s why we have shirts,” Matt jokes. “Eww!” “Don’t worry. There’s some paper towels in the trunk, along with a big blanket.” “Are you trying to seduce me?” I ask jokingly. “Damn! How did you know? Was it the blanket?” Matt kids. “The only guys that carry blankets in their cars are man whores,” I tease. Finally the fire is burning steadily, and the marshmallows are ready to be roasted. Matt lets his iPod play through his car radio for a little while. Our chairs are positioned next to each other, rather than across from each other. I start to shiver, and Matt gets me his blanket. “Told you that you’d need a jacket.” “Yeah, well, if I knew we were going to be outside, I would have brought sweats.” “It’s okay, I’ll keep you warm, if needed,” Matt winked. “Perv,” I joked. “So why didn’t you want to come out here tonight? It was harder than normal to convince you. Should I be worried that my charm is wearing off?” “You? Charming? Please!” I chuckle. “There was no real reason. Just skeptical, I guess.” “You’re a terrible liar. I hope you know that,” Matt said, smiling. I don’t say anything; I just watch my marshmallow over the flame. “You don’t have to tell me. And you can say that you don’t want to tell me, instead of doing that polite crap you always do, and just dodge the question,” Matt stated, in a peaceful tone. “I don’t want to tell you.” “There, was that so hard?” Matt nudged me to get me to smile again. It worked. “Are you hiding something from me?” I ask. “Probably,” replies Matt. “Now who’s dodging questions?” Matt chuckles. “You’re hiding a lot of terrible shit too. Miranda and Chelsea are too scared to ask, because they’re afraid of what you will tell them. And as much as you act like you don’t want anyone to ask, if there was a kind ear waiting to listen, you’d tell them.” Matt looks up from the fire and at me, “But I’m not asking. Not tonight.” “Is yours worse than mine?” “No. Probably not, but people like me better when they don’t know, so I’d like to keep it that way for now, if you don’t mind.” “No, I understand,” I say, even though I’m dying to know. “Not really, but you’re being polite again, so thanks.” It was silent for a moment, and we both just stared at our skewers and the flames. There is something mesmerizing about fire. I just watch it curl over the marshmallow and turn it dark, until crisp black bubbles formed over the surface. I sandwich it between the graham crackers and chocolate. S’mores are the official taste of summer. At least to me, they are. “Aside from scouting out a location, why’d you bring me here?” “It’s something to do. Plus, you’re fun to shake up and mess with. Seriously, I think I should have put a chainsaw in my trunk and asked you to open it up. You’re reaction would have been priceless,” Matt smiled. “Shut up!” I squealed. Matt pauses, “I have a favor to ask.” “Okay. What’s up?” “I’m going to have to baby sit my cousins all of next week, and I’d appreciate some help.” I laughed. “You with kids? That’s hilarious!” “Hey, I would like you to know, that I’m actually very popular in the children community! It’s just that they are both girls, and I figured you would be helpful in that area. You know, tea parties and makeovers are not my specialty.” I chuckled, “I’ll think about it.” “I’d ask Jay, but pairing us together to look over kids just seems like a bad idea.” I smile, “Sounds like a disaster.” I pause. “So are you excited for the party?” “I guess. I’d be more excited if I got to see you tipsy.” “That’s not going to happen.” “C’mon Amelia! Let loose! The world isn’t going to end if you get a moment to actually enjoy yourself,” Matt teased. “I can have fun a be sober at the same time, thank you very much! Plus, I’m having fun now and I’m sober.” “Well, what I am looking forward to is that sex scene!” “You are aware that I will – we will – be fully clothed at all times?” I joke. “I’m surprised you agreed to it. You’re such a prude, I thought you’d be scared or embarrassed.” My cheeks start to burn. “It wasn’t my idea. I will say that much.” “Oh my God, you’re nervous, aren’t you?” asked Matt, chuckling a little bit. “Shut up,” I say, not joking at all. “There’s nothing to be nervous about. You’ve had a boyfriend before, so I imagine you are experienced.” I can’t even make eye contact. I squeeze my eyes shut hoping that this conversation would end soon. “It’s me dry humping you that makes you nervous, isn’t it? I mean, I apologize in advance is little Matty gets hard, but that’s just kinda what happens. Honestly, I think you should be more offended if nothing happens,” he jokes. “You’re only making this worse,” I state, trying not to smile. “People f***. It’s really not a big deal. We aren’t even f*ing, so you shouldn’t be nervous. And if you’re worried about making yourself look sexy for me, it’s okay. You’re nice on the eyes, even with you’re clothes on,” Matt continues. I can’t hold back my smirk any longer. “I know it’s not ideal for you that I already feel you up and see you nearly nude before we truly get to know each other, but honestly, it’s like any guy’s dream come true.” “I don’t know whether I should feel honored or offended. You mix flattery with such man whore-ish comments.” “Truly it’s an art, one of my many talents.” “Oh really? And what are your other talents?” “I’ve been told I’m a enchanter. I seduce women.” I laugh hard. “Bulls***!” “It’s funny how you think I haven’t already seduced you,” he jokes. “Really? Go ahead and tell me. I’d love to hear this story.” “We’ll there was that kiss on the first day of shooting.” “That wasn’t a real kiss.” “It was definitely a step up from where we were.” “A fake kiss is a fake kiss.” “We’ll just agree to disagree on that one. Anyway, there was that shopping day.” “I believe I planned that. I think that’s more of me trying to seduce you.” “Same difference. Then there is tonight. You and me, alone in the woods, with a cozy fire, music, and a warm blanket. C’mon! That’s the goldmine of seduction,” he jokes. “Okay, I will give you that last one, but only that one,” I smile. I check my phone, and it’s 9:45. We only have another forty-five minutes before we have to leave. Matt goes to his car and gets out another blanket, but instead it is a beach towel for the ground, rather than the one I had wrapped around me for warmth. He spreads it out on the ground and lies across it. Matt motions for me to come over and join him. The towel is huge. “This is the best part of this place – the stars,” says Matt. I look up at the sky. There is something so peaceful about the sky in the summer. Even though it is the same sky all year round, in the summer it’s different. Being able to stay outside, and just watch the stars twinkle, or connect the constellations is magical. In the winter you could never do that, but in the summer, it always feels like time freezes. No need to worry, and no need to hurry. “It’s beau-u-u-u-tiful,” I shiver. “You’re still cold?” I nod while my teeth continue to chatter “Here take my jacket,” Matt said, as he started to unzip it. “No, I’ll be fine.” Matt chuckled. “Yeah, sure you will. Come here.” I scooted over, and Matt put his arm around me. My head lay in his chest, and his hand rubbed my back to warm me up. This was the closest I had ever been to Matt. I could smell him, and he smelled amazing. Guys always smell amazing. “Not that anyone is counting, but I’m totally seducing you right now,” Matt joked. “Shut up,” I say in the most uninflected voice. I could care less what joke he was making, but being in his arms, was making my heart race, and I just hoped he couldn’t feel it. Right at that moment, the urge to kiss him came over me. It wasn’t because of my feelings for him. It wasn’t the attraction I felt to him. It wasn’t because I wanted him, but it was because of how sweet he was being. All I wanted to do was give him a sweet peck to show him that I’m not afraid and embarrassed that I’m going to be kissing him in front of my friends. Most importantly, I wanted to show him I appreciate his gestures: the drive, the s’mores, the stars, the blanket, and his patience. It would mean nothing, and it would last not longer than three seconds, but I can’t do it. Even though I say it would mean nothing, it would most definitely mean something. He was right. Girls don’t want to make the first move, unless they think the guy might be interested too. Instead, I close my eyes, and listen to Matt’s heartbeat and feel his gentle fingers up and down my back. “It’s getting late,” Matt stated. “We should pack up and go.” I don’t move. I didn’t want to move. I don’t say anything either. “Are you asleep?” asks Matt in his sweetest voice. “No,” I groan. “I know, I’m an awesome cuddle buddy,” Matt chuckles. “You’re really warm,” I smile. “C’mon, we gotta go,” states Matt. Matt helps me up, and we pack up the car, and make sure the fire is out before we leave. Matt turns to heat on low, and lets me snuggle up with his blanket, which also smells like him. “So did you have fun? Was it worth me kidnapping you?” I sigh. “Yes, it was fun, and that’s the problem. Now you can rub it in my face that I need to trust you more.” I smile at Matt. He chuckles. “Yeah, well, you seem a little sleepy right now, so I’ll rub it in your face later.” “Sounds good.” The rest of the car ride was filled with soft music, and low heat, that put me into a drowsy trance. I remained curled up into a ball for most of the ride. “Amelia, We’re at your house,” Matt said softly. “Already?” “I know, time flies when you’re having fun with me,” Matt smiled. Matt gets out of the car, and opens my door for me. He walks me to the door, and gives me a hug. “I’m glad you had fun tonight.” “Well, thank you for everything.” “See you at the party.” “Yeah, see ya.” Then, out of nowhere, I kiss Matt on the cheek. His eyes look at me puzzled, but his lips smirk. “If this is you when you’re tired, I can only imagine what you are like when you’re drunk. You’re one of those frisky drunks, aren’t you?” “Very funny. Anyway, drive safely.” “And if you’re going to give me a ‘goodnight kiss’ you might as well do it right,” stated Matt, and then he leaned in and kissed me on the lips. It wasn’t complicated, or attached. It was a peck that didn’t last for longer than three seconds. It was the exact kiss that I pictured before, but was too scared to do. It was perfect. We didn’t say anything else to each other. Our eyes met after the kiss, and then I turned around to open my door and Matt turned to walk back to his car. I get inside my house, and my Mom is asleep on the couch. I check to see what time it is, and it is 11:03. I quietly walk upstairs to my bedroom and go to sleep. The only problem was, I kept reliving that three-second-kiss over-and-over. It kept me up half the night, but it was worth it.

If there is one thing I have learned, it is that life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we’re here, we should dance.
I decided not to tell Miranda and Chelsea about what happened. They would turn our peck into something much more complicated than it actually was. They would turn our late night camping into a real date. They’d focus on the cuddling, which to me was just a means of getting warmer. Okay, so maybe I’m not being completely honest with myself, but I don’t like to get my hopes up. I’d rather pretend that whatever happened wasn’t going to lead anywhere, and that it was just friendly. Matt and I are only friends.
It’s better this way. I don’t want things to be awkward on set. Especially since tonight we are shooting the party scene.
Miranda, Chelsea, and I arrived at Jay’s house at four o’clock. Miranda drove us over. Once we arrived, Chelsea suggested that her, Miranda, and Jay set up, while Matt and I block off what we are going to do in the scene.
I look over at Jay to see if he knows where Matt is, since Matt isn’t here yet.
“He’s probably home. Walk over and retrieve him. It’s the yellow house with the green awnings.”
I leave Jay’s house and walk down the street until I see the yellow house with green awnings, except there are lots of cars in the driveway and on the lawn. Could this be Matt’s house, I thought.
I decide to ring the doorbell regardless. A young lady opens the door. She couldn’t be much older than 21-years-old.
“What do you want?” said the girl.
This was obviously Matt’s house. She had the same tone as the woman that would always answer Matt’s house phone. I just always assumed that was Matt’s mother. Now I see it must be his sister.
“I’m here to see Matt.”
“You know, we are like in the middle of our huge family party that we have every Fourth of July. Can’t this wait, or something?” she said in the snottiest tone she could muster.
“He’s expecting me, so could you just find him?”
“MATT!” she shouts, and he comes running to the door. “Some girl wants you.”
“What girl doesn’t want me? Hey Amelia.”
“Yeah, Jay sent me over to get you,” I state.
“God, those two are too gay for each other,” his sister says under her breath, and walks away.
“Oh, okay,” replies Matt
“Yeah, because we have the party today.”
“Yeah, I know, I just didn’t expect to leave here so soon,” Matt states.
“Well,---”
“Don’t worry about it. It’ll be fine. Let’s go.”
“Okay,” I say, and Matt steps out from his house and closes the door. “So was that you’re sister?” I ask.
“Yeah… don’t mind her. She’s like a bitch-and-a-half. She’s seriously PMS-ing 24/7,” he chuckles.
“I didn’t know you had a sister.”
“Yeah, well, she’s not the most friendly. Now that she’s home from college, she an even bigger pain in the ass because she has nothing to do.”
“Don’t say that! I’m sure she’s easier to love since she is blood.”
“HA! You would think so, but not necessarily.”
I could tell that Matt was getting uncomfortable talking about her, so I drop it. I decide to change the subject.
“So everyone else is decorating, and we are supposed to be blocking the scenes that we are going to have together.”
“Why aren’t you wearing your bathing suit?” asks Matt, completely ignoring what I just told him.
“I have my clothes for shooting in Miranda’s car. Kinda thought wearing a short dress and standing on top of chairs and tables would be mildly inappropriate.”
“That’s not inappropriate, that every guys’ dream,” he smiles.
I roll my eyes at him.
“I hope you know that I’m not much of a dancer,” states Matt
“Neither am I. But the way I see it, I manage to embarrass myself a hundred times on a daily basis, so this won’t be any different,” I smile
“Okay you don’t embarrass yourself that much.”
“Let’s see. There was that fake kiss, and then there was that real kiss, and anytime you bring up the sex scene, I blush. Let’s not forget the multiple times in math class that I somehow made a fool of myself.”
“One, you made a bigger fool of me in math class than you did of yourself. Two, it’s kind of endearing how easy it is to make you blush. You’re so innocent, and I don’t mean that in a bad way. And three, you didn’t embarrass yourself that night with the kiss. You didn’t do anything wrong,” says Matt, as his brown eyes stare back into mine.
I break the stare and look at the sidewalk, and then straight ahead. “So did you bring your script?”
“Yeah,” he said, and then pulled out of his back pocket.
“Know your lines?”
“Of course,” he smiled.
We finally get back to Jay’s house, and everything was basically set up, except the food. Matt and I looked for areas that we thought would work for certain sections of the scene. We did a rough run though of the lines. Next, all we had to do was wait for people to show up, and have a party.
---
Miranda, Chelsea, and I went into the guest bedroom to get ready for tonight. Miranda did our hair and makeup. I always felt I could trust Miranda with that kind of stuff, especially since I thought she was naturally pretty. While Chelsea had that “girl-next-door” look to her, I always thought Miranda’s beauty was quirky and different. She has the prettiest blue eyes I’ve ever seen, and they are so expressive too. She has light brown hair that is about shoulder length and bangs that sweep across her forehead. Let’s not forget her freckles. Her nose and cheeks are spotted with freckles that add to her cuteness. Finally, there is her charming smile. Even though Miranda loves to play with hair and makeup, she isn’t the type to go too crazy with it. She always tries to use any sort of enhancing product in the most natural way. That is why I trust her to do my makeup, and curl my hair. Chelsea on the other hand, wants to look a little more glamorous. She wants people to notice her. I, on the other hand, prefer to blend in with the crowd.
“You’re going to look great,” states Miranda.
“Yeah, well, I don’t know how you’re going to do anything with my hair, it’s too short,” I say.
I never liked having my hair too long. When I was in middle school and throughout most of high school, I had long dark brown hair. I guess I got tired of maintaining it. I never really did anything with it, except the occasional ponytail. Now my hair is cut into a long bob, which is much easier to maintain. If I want to dress up, all I have to do is add a barrette or headband. Miranda insists that she will be able to curl it.
“No it’s not. I’m only adding some light curling, and a lot of shine to your hair, so that lights reflect off it nicely.”
I smile. “I hope you know I appreciate this.”
“I know,” she smiles back.
Chelsea is using the mirror in the guest bathroom to apply her makeup. She applies a dark silver shadow with black eyeliner, and tons of mascara. She takes her bronzer and a big powder brush, and starts to brush it onto her cheeks, neck, and chest. She takes her shimmery lip gloss and slathers it on.
When Chelsea comes out of the bathroom, I see what she did to her face. Her blue eyes looked intense, and she managed to give herself a shimmery glow. Chelsea had a supermodel look to her, and that’s how she wanted it.
“Aww! Amelia’s looking cute! Nice Job Miranda. Anyway, I’m going to head back outside. See you guys in a bit.”
Chelsea left us.
Miranda gives me a look. “Say what you’re thinking,” she demands.
“Chelsea looks like a whore.”
“That’s because she’s trying too hard.”
“She doesn’t have to try that hard. She probably doesn’t have to try at all,” I explain.
“I know that. It’s just that she doesn’t.” Miranda pauses. “Okay, let me just put this flower clip in, then I’m all finished.”
We both go into the bathroom, to see me in the mirror and in better light. Miranda did a wonderful job. She curled the ends lightly, and then brushed them out to give them a softer and more natural look. Then, she pinned back some hair with a white flower. She sprayed my hair with something, to keep the curls in, but it also made my hair really shiny. It looks gorgeous!
“Oh my God! Thank you!”
“Well, it’s makeup time,” she smiled. “Close your eyes.”
After a couple minutes with my eyes closed, and hearing the multiple containers open, close, and move around, Miranda turns me around.
“Open your eyes.”
Miranda used a light silver shadow with a gray shadow too. She lined my eyes with black eyeliner and touches of black mascara. She applied a rosy blush, and a pale pink gloss. This is one of the few times I ever felt pretty.
“Wow,” I say.
“I know, right? You look breathtaking!”
“Thank you!” I say as I hug her.
---
It is 5:30, and only half the guests have arrived. Chelsea took it upon herself to use this time to mingle. Miranda and I stand by the snack table and people-watch.
“Eww, there Marissa Jones,” says Miranda.
“You mean MRSA Jones. I really hope she got that infection cleared up. I hear she got it from having an affair with Coach Finaco in the boys locker room.”
“I wouldn’t put it past her.”
Jay walks over to us, “I think we should get started. More people probably won’t show up until dark, so we might as well get this over with.”
“Yeah okay,” says Miranda.
Chelsea gets the cameras ready, and Matt, Miranda and I get into position.

EXT – Back yard, night.
AMY and ERIN are attending the party that ETHAN invited AMY to. AMY is apprehensive about what the night will hold, so she brings ERIN to warn her if DANIEL calls her cell phone or if he calls ERIN’s cell phone to find out where she is. ERIN realizes how important this is to her.




ERIN:


Have you found Ethan yet?





AMY:


No, not yet.





ERIN:


Maybe he’s not here yet.





AMY:


Probably.

AMY and ERIN start to eat some snacks. The camera cuts over to the deck, where ETHAN is mingling with friends. He takes out his cell phone and checks the time. He looks around again, and then puts his phone back in his pocket.





AMY:


This was a stupid idea. I’m sorry


for dragging you along.





ERIN:


This wasn’t a stupid idea!


You deserve to have time to


yourself and be able to have fun


without Daniel around. And I like


Ethan… more than I like Daniel.



(Takes drink from AMY’s hands)


C’mon, let’s go dance!





AMY:



(Reluctantly)


Fine!



(Smiles)

AMY and ERIN make their way to the lawn where everyone is dancing. ERIN leads them through the herds of people. They start to dance, smile, laugh, and giggle. The camera cuts back to ETHAN.





ETHAN:


Hold on. I’ll be back.

He gets up from the group of people he was mingling with, and thinks he spots AMY. The song The Dress Looks Nice on You by Sufjan Stevens plays in the background. He starts walking into the crowd and pushing his way through people.





ETHAN:



(Shouts)


Amy!

He continues to push through people until he finds AMY and ERIN. ERIN smiles, and leaves them alone. ETHAN and AMY smile and look into each other’s eyes. ETHAN grabs AMY’s hand and pulls her close. They start to dance. ETHAN holds AMY tenderly. He twirls her, and then dips her jokingly. They giggle, and go back to a tender slow dance. ETHAN starts to go in for a kiss, but AMY dodges it by laying her head on his shoulder.


As I lay my head on Matt’s shoulder, I saw the most horrific person that I hoped I’d never see again.

I saw Brian.

My Brian.

If there is one thing that I have learned, it is that scars remind us of our past, but they don’t have to define our future. I tried not to show fear in my face while the camera was on us. I tried hard not to go with my instincts and flee. Instead, I lift my head from Matt shoulder and whisper. “My ex is here. Help me avoid him.” “CUT!” shouts Chelsea. “What was that?” “I did some improvising. It’s okay. We don’t always have to completely follow the script. Usually let this stuff pan out and see how it goes,” I suggest. “Okay. Well, do you want to go again?” “Actually, let’s take a five minute break. We don’t have too much left to shoot,” I say. Chelsea goes back to Miranda and Jay who were standing behind the cameras. Matt comes over to me and we walk toward Jay’s house. We go inside to have a private conversation. Matt looked concerned and frustrated. He wasn’t frustrated at me, but at the circumstance, and at formulating what he wanted to say. “Now I know you never told me what happened with you to write the movie, and that’s fine. I’m not asking you to spill the details with me right now, but I don’t know who your boyfriend is or ex-boyfriend, and I don’t know what the hell he did to you. But for him to put that much fear into you that you screwed up a great take, which you never do, f*ing worries me.” Matt pauses for a moment, “What do you want me to do?” Matt’s eyes were concerned. Even though he asked a vague question, it wasn’t left up for interpretation. Matt was asking me if I wanted him to beat up Brian, or at least kick him out. “Nothing. I don’t want him to know that I’ve realized he’s here.” Matt looked at me puzzled. “Brian isn’t friends with most of the people that attended the party. He’ll probably only be here for ten minutes and go home. As long as he doesn’t see me or my friends, he’ll have no reason to stay.” Matt sighs. “What?” I ask. He pauses before he answers, “There is no reason that some asshole should have the power over you to make you come inside from a party with your friends, a party that he wasn’t invited to. All I’m saying to you is that he doesn’t have the right to make you feel this way. And doing nothing about it isn’t going to make the problem go away.” “Looks like he was invited,” I say, as I look out the kitchen window. Matt turns his head, and he sees Jay greeting Brian. Apparently, they are friends, which neither of us knew. I feel like such a baby. I’m standing in the middle of Jay’s kitchen having a serious conversation with Matt over Brian, who is outside mingling with our friends. Brian stirs up a lot of emotions. I’m afraid, but at the same time angry. I just can’t go back out there, yet I want to yell at him for everything. I would never say that Brian “abused” me. He definitely manipulated me in many ways, and probably doesn’t even realize just how controlling he was throughout our relationship. I thought that my self-esteem was on the lower end of the spectrum, but when I starting dating Brian, I realized he has even less self-respect than I do. Brian has brown hair, or at least he says it’s brown. I always told people it was dirty blonde, because his older brother had the same hair color, and his brother is considered a blonde. His other older brother has brown hair that matches my hair color, so I assumed that Brian’s mousy brown hair was actually blonde. He was very mad at me over that. He got mad at me over a lot of things, actually. Brian’s eyes were blue, and as much as it pains me to say it, they were one of his best features. Brian is also tall, or over six feet, but not by much. He hated being tall, and I never understood why. It was just another thing that hurt his ego, another thing to be self-conscious about. He is also a little on the chubby side. I was always thankful that I never saw him naked. The longer we were together, the more repulsed I was by his body and his physical appearance. I guess that wasn’t fully based on his actual looks, but his attractiveness was seen through the filter of all the things he put me though. When I thought he was sweet and a gentleman, I was able to overlook his physical appearance, but by the end of our relationship, he was ugly. “Amelia?” I quickly snap out of my reminiscing of Brian and back to Matt. I look into his worried brown eyes, and blurt out, “A little bit of liquid courage never hurt.” I walk over to the fridge and pull out a bottle of some alcohol. I didn’t care which it was, just something to calm my nerves a little. I take a swig, or two, and look back at Matt. He was a mix of emotions. First, he was surprised, and then a little excited to see me drink, but most importantly, worried. “You okay?” “Yeah, I’ll be fine. That was only like what, two shots? I’ll be fine,” I reassured him. “You sure?” “Just make sure I don’t say anything stupid or embarrass myself,” I chuckle. “Isn’t that hard for you to do sober?” he joked. “Shut up,” I smile. We start to walk toward the door, but fear takes hold of me, and I don’t want to go outside. Matt notices it. “Everything’s going to be fine,” he says, and extends his hand. I grab it instantly. “Just squeeze my hand if you are feeling uncomfortable, okay?” I nod. --- There was something about Matt that made me feel protected. As we kept walking closer to the group that included Brian, holding his hand, and holding onto his arm, gave me comfort, which is something I’m not used to with guys. “Amelia? I didn’t know you were here!” exclaimed Brian No, my friends went to a party without me, bastard. “Here I am,” I said in an uninflected voice. Jay watches us, and seems a little confused. Hoping that Brian doesn’t pick up on it, I try to change the subject so our past isn’t revealed out in the open. “So---” “Jay, we used to date. That’s why we know each other,” Brian smiles. In that moment I wanted to knock his teeth out, and began to clench my fists. “We’re going to get something to drink. Does anybody want anything?” asks Matt, feeling my clenching hand. “Oh c’mon! You guys just got here. Stay a little while! Jay can get us drinks,” suggests Brian. “Hey, it’s no problem. We’ll be right back,” states Matt. Brian’s eyes drop down to our hands. It’s like the “we” that Matt was talking about became official in Brian’s head. His continuous smile faltered a little bit. Amelia moved on, is all that was running though his mind. I could tell. His eyes gave it away. Amelia moved on, combined with that bitch, whore, or other expletive. He was pissed, but he never showed how angry he was in public. Matt and I leave for a moment, and once we are out of earshot, I feel my body almost collapse. The anxiety of being around Brian was getting to me. That, and the relief of getting away were giving me a physical reaction. We go to the garage and look through the coolers. “You don’t have to go back,” Matt blurted out. His sincere brown eyes make me want to melt in his arms. I instantly hug Matt. He didn’t expect it. Thus, he didn’t know how to react. After a few seconds, and once it sunk in, he put his arms on my back, and gently patted me. I take in his scent, while in our embrace. God, he smelled good. I unlock myself from around him. “Thank you, I needed that. And I know I don’t have to go back, but he just pisses me off so much. There’s no way I’m backing down now. There’s a lot I have got to say to that bastard.” Matt grabs the drinks, and I slip my hand back into his. We walk back to our friends. “…And we’ve just been catching up. You know, getting as much as we can in before we all leave to go to college. That’s all we’ve been up to,” said Miranda. “So what’s with the cameras?” asks Brian. “If you’re filming me, I should sign a release form, right?” he chuckled. Chelsea and Miranda look to me for an answer. “We’re just filming some of the highlights of our summer,” stated Matt. “Oh, sounds like fun,” says Brian, but you could tell he didn’t mean it. “So how long have you guys been together?” he asked shortly after. I look up to Matt and he looks back at me. “Uhh…” says Matt. “We don’t like labels. I always felt that if you had to define it, then the relationship probably isn’t that sturdy. As long as you’re having fun and committed, I don’t see why you need to be called boyfriend and girlfriend. It’s stupid to me.” It was meant more as a blow to my past relationship with Brian than a truthful incite to my weird friendship with Matt. “Oh c’mon! Ball park it,” Brian demanded. “It’s been about a month or so. It depends on when you consider us committed, you know? Amelia says it was later than I do. I guess I was committed to being with this girl much earlier than she was to me. A small price for my ego to bear, but well worth it.” Matt tenderly kisses my forehead. “Be careful, she a heartbreaker.” “Brian, can I take a walk with you real quick?” Brian pauses, and the tension in our group is building. “Yeah, sure.” We walk, and I wait until we are halfway between the front and back yard to start to talk to him. “What the hell is your problem? I don’t even know where to begin really.” “Well then, let me start. I can’t f*ing believe you Amelia!” “Me? I can’t f*ing believe you! You come to this party, which is fine, but you see my friends and me, and know I want nothing to do with you, but stick around to torment me! That’s f*ing unbelievable!” “I should have known you’d be dating Matt Meter. God, he was all you talked about when we dated! All his quips in class and the smooth compliments to win you over. I honestly thought you were smarter than that.” “I don’t know what you’re talking about!” “It’s actually funny that you don’t know he’s just using you to f*** you. That’s all he’s ever used girls for, Mel. F*** and finish.” “Yeah, well at least I know that’s what he’s after! He doesn’t pretend to be a gentleman and respect me! I already know how he is. Never did he once try to play me like some asshole!” “I never went further than you were comfortable!” “You always pushed the bounds with me! I give you a kiss, you wanted my boobs! I give you my boobs, you wanted me naked! It never stopped with you!” “F*** you, Amelia!” “I know what this is about. You’re jealous that I’m willing to f*** Matt, but not you! And for someone who’s a man whore, he respects me so much more than you ever did! He never tried to change me and turn me against all my friends, and myself. You constantly built me up and tore me back down! I was tired of your bullshit months ago, and I’m still tired of it!” Out of pure anger, Brian took his beer bottle and hit it against the side of the house. Shards of glass went everywhere, but he still had part of the broken bottle in his hand. I look up at his face, and he was infuriated. In that moment, I wonder if I should run back to the group, or just stay there in our standoff. Would running force him to take action, or would doing nothing, I wondered. With no more than three seconds after he broke his bottle, Matt and Jay run to us. I look back to them, and I see Chelsea and Miranda watching us. Their faces are filled with fear and terror. Matt and Jay tackle Brian, and take the bottle out of his hands. “What the fuck is your problem!? You gonna go after a girl with a broken beer bottle!? Go the f*** home!” shouted Matt. Brian pushed the boys off of him. He looked at Jay, hoping his friend could ease things over for him. “You need to sober up, man,” was all Jay could say. His eyes were extremely disgusted with Brian. “Fine! You guys have fun with the little bitch!” he said, and stormed off to his car, and then left. Chelsea and Miranda come running over. “Oh my God, are you okay, Amelia?” asked Miranda as she hugged me and stroked my hair. I tried so hard to hold back my tears, but they fell out anyway. “I’m fine. I’m just pissed, but I’m physically fine.” “What the hell was that?” ask Chelsea, alarmed from the events that just occurred. “That’s the real Brian,” I said, bluntly. “C’mon, let’s get you inside and cleaned up. We still got a little more to shoot,” said Miranda smiling. Even though the movie was the furthest thing from everyone’s mind, she knew just how I ticked. I would work my hardest to make sure my performance was great, and that was just the distraction I needed. Soon after, the rest of the night became a blur. After going inside and redoing my makeup, I took a few more swigs of the drink in Jay fridge. I continued this for the rest of the night. I hope I didn’t make a complete fool of myself. Then again, I guess Matt will surely rub it in my face how plastered I was.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 2 comments.


on Aug. 9 2011 at 10:27 pm
laurenh141 PLATINUM, Milford, New Jersey
21 articles 26 photos 6 comments

I had it formatted in a word document, but it ended up somehow like this. I was more focused on getting out there than formatting it completely, but now I see it is all one blob, and thats very annoying.

Thank you so much for your comment! It was very helpful!


on Aug. 8 2011 at 5:19 pm
Love.Hate.Passion., Spring Valley, Illinois
0 articles 0 photos 356 comments

Favorite Quote:
~Hope. Faith. Love~
~Be proud of who you are.You are all unique in a different way.~
~I WILL NOT fade into oblivion , and become less than
a distant memory.~

It was an interesting story. I think you made it very relatable to people out there , in situations somewhat like this. I didn't like how it was formatted , and there was way to much cussing for my taste. I loved how your characters had such realistic personalities , and I could imagine all this in my head. You did a great job with imagery and there were very little spelling and grammatical errors. Great job!