Paint the Sky | Teen Ink

Paint the Sky

By SammiiGail BRONZE, Lansing, Kansas
SammiiGail BRONZE, Lansing, Kansas

& keep your head up kid, because there are people killing to see you fall.

Monday, December 15th Her eyes fluttered heavy with sleep. The teacher kept talking, droning on about triangles. Not a soul listened, half the class was asleep. The boy sitting next to her was on his iPod, the other boy drooling away on the book. Placing her head on one hand, she reached over for a pencil, a thought wanting to escape. She scratched out the thought in the margins of her homework, not caring she had to give the paper up in a few minutes. By the time the story line had been written out, the teacher asked for homework. Sighing, the brunette handed it to the preppy blonde who had been assigned “paper collector.” With nothing left to do, she turn her attention back to the teacher. He had begun his daily lecture on how the class should listen. As much as it pained her to listen, she did. Listening along, she mumbled all the words of his lecture. When it was finally over, she glanced back at the clock. A smile jumped onto her face as she nudged the sleeping kid next to her. He awoke with a jump, right as the bell began to ring. Everyone began picking up their things and heading out the door. She stood up herself, fixed the deep purple dress, gathered her things, and walked out the door. Chatter filled the hallways, gossip and drama at the tip of everyone’s tongue. Searching the crowd of teens, she spotted her boyfriend. Tall, scrawny, golden brown hair, he wasn’t hard to miss. He yelled out to her, as if she hadn’t seen him mixed with the green-haired kids. “Ey! Yo, babe!” “Hey baby doll,” she replied when he got closer. “How you be woman?” He said as he took her hand. “I be dandy. How’s you, Sleepy?” Her laughter rang out. He smiled, “I’m just fantastic, besides me being sleepy.” He yawned again, proving his point. “Hurry up today. I was late to Enneking’s class yesterday cause of you.” Releasing her hand, he opened his locker. Going slower than a sloth, he grabbed his book. Turning, she began to walk away. “Emma, wait!” he called out, slamming the locker closed. “No, you wait. And quit calling me Emma!” frustration seeping out of her. “Baby,” he said when he finally caught up, “you know I love you.” “No, I don’t. And obviously, you love my twin sister more than me,” she said. The boy began laughing, so loud that everyone started to give him looks. “Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah, there’s no way in hell I’ll ever love Emma more than you! I just like pushing your buttons.” “Whatever,” she replied, smiling widely. “True story!” he said. She laughed, waved him off, and went into the classroom. “Hello?” “Ey, yo, Grace, it be me.” “Duh it’s you. I have caller I.D. you know.” “Just making sure you know it’s me. So what’s up baby?” “Waiting on your lazy ass. What about you?” “Getting off my lazy ass.” Grace laughed. “Be there in five, kay?” “Kay, see you then.” The phone clicked, ending the call. Placing his phone in his pocket, the boy finished getting ready. He slid on the first shirt he saw, smoothing any wrinkles with his hands. He grabbed his shoes and headed up the stairs. Not seeing his mom, he yelled out, “Momma! I’m leaving!” “All right, have fun! Be good!” Her voice floated down from upstairs. Quickly putting his shoes on, he snatched a skateboard and walked out the front door. Yelling goodbye to the adorable puppy in the backyard, he hopped on the board. Riding down the hill, he saw a kid putting things into the trunk of a mustang. Even with the kid’s back to him, he knew it was Evan Randall. Evan was a straight up punk, popular, did meth every Tuesday, the star baseball player, and had a GPA of 4.7. Evan was also Grace’s best friend. The two had a relationship so deep, it drove the boy mad. With the feeling of regret flowing throughout his heart, he stopped his board and called out to Evan. “Hey Evan.” Without even looking back, Evan replied, “Hey Rickey.” “What’s up?” “Packing,” Evan said as he loaded another box into the trunk. “That’s tight, for what?” Ricky mumbled, trying to peak into the boxes. “College. I’ve already been accepted and have a dorm. So this weekend I’m driving to Florida to set stuff up.” “Sweet. Emma know?” “Nope. I planned on telling her today. You going over to her place?” “Yeah...” Ricky said slowly. “Well, do you want a ride? She knows I’m coming. Don’t worry though; I’m only staying for a few. Than y’all can have your time together.” “All right, yeah. Cool. Thanks.” Ricky said, already knowing the ride would be awkward. “Kay, let me go grab the last box. The car’s unlocked if you wanna go ahead and get in.” Evan walked through the garage into his house. Ricky, not wanting to feel any more awkward, picked up his board and put it in the backseat. He opened the passenger’s door, waiting. When Evan finally came back outside holding the last box, he got into the car. Evan placed the box into his trunk and slammed it closed. He hopped in the car, starting it with a roar. Music blaring, Evan glanced back and pulled forward. Less than two minutes later, the boys had arrived at Grace’s. Ricky got out, faster than the Flash. He grabbed his board from the backseat, slammed the door close, and began walking up to the front door. Evan walked behind slowly, getting himself ready to spill the news. Ricky rang the doorbell, fixing his hair one last time. Evan swallowed down his fear as Grace answered the door. The doorbell rang, causing Grace to jump. She yelled, saying she’d get it. Emma hardly even looked up, eyes and brain focused on her paper. Peaking out the front window, Grace saw Evan’s car. Surprised, she opened the front door nice and wide, not only seeing Evan but Ricky as well. Surprise was written all over her face as she took them in. Ricky flashed a smile, Evan slightly waved. Opening the screen door, Ricky leaned closer to her, eyes already closed. Quickly kissing him, she beckoned them inside. Both boys came inside, both able to feel the awkwardness. Voice cracking, Grace asked, “Ricky, can you uh, keep my sister occupied? I kind of need to speak with Evan.” Ricky just nodded, already knowing what was coming. Evan reached out, taking her hand in his. Leading her outside, they sat in the chairs that were on the porch. He took a deep breath, steadying himself. Slowly, she asked, “What’s up?” “Grace, there’s something you should know.” A worried look came across her face. “It’s not bad, I swear. But, I’m leaving. Friday. I’ve been accepted to college. I have a dorm and everything. I’m driving to Florida right after school,” tears began to swell up in his eyes, his voice shaking. “I couldn’t just leave without you knowing where I was. I’ll be back, either Sunday or Monday or Tuesday.” “Congrats Evan! I’m proud of you…” her voice trailed off. “Thanks.” She just reached over and held his hand, letting them sit in silence. Each were absorbed in their own thoughts, so neither heard when Ricky stepped outside. He cleared his throat, startling them both. “Hey, your mom said its dinner time.” “Kay, I’ll be right in.” He nodded, hardly looking at their intertwined hands, and walked back inside. The best friends stood, and walked to his car. She smiled bravely, saying, “I’ll miss you. Get me something good, kay?” He laughed, pulling her in tight for a hug. When they let go, a tear ran down her face. Evan brushed it away. She smiled sadly. “All right,” he said, “I’m gonna go now. Don’t worry, I’ll be at school tomorrow and I am coming back. I swear I will. Plus, I don’t even graduate till next semester!” “I know. Now go home, you’re cutting into boyfriend time. Text me kay?” He opened the driver’s door, sat down, and looked back up. “I’ll text you. When I leave, when I stop for gas, when I do anything. I love you best friend.” “I love you more, best friend.” She shut the door for him and walked around his car. She gave a wave and watched until his car had made it all the way down the hill, out of sight. She walked up her driveway, glanced one more time, and went inside. He heard the garage door open and slammed closed. Sighing, he got up from the couch. Grace walked into the kitchen, sitting down to her dinner. Ricky sat next to her, pushing his food away. About three shovels of food later, Grace looked up to see Ricky staring her down. She sighed, swallowed the food currently in her mouth, and moved her plate. When her mouth was clear, she spoke, “What is it, dear?” “We need to talk about you and Evan,” he replied. She laughed heartily until she saw Ricky’s look of seriousness. “What do we have to talk about? You know him, you know our relationship, and you know I won’t choose between you. He’s my best friend and I don’t care what you say, nothing will change that.” “I know. I just don’t like the affection you give each other. Hand holding I guess I can deal with. But long, tight hugs, kisses on the cheek, saying “I love you”. Like, I’m sorry, but that seriously bothers me. You’d be upset if I was holding some other girl’s hand and telling her I love her.” She froze, her heart breaking. She knew what he was going to ask, so she waited a moment. When she felt ready, she spoke softly. “Dear, what are you asking?” His voice was hard, cold, and firm when he said, “Stop giving affection.” Grace turned away, unable to look Ricky in the eye. “I just can’t take it anymore. I wish you’d stop talking to him completely, but I know if I made you pick, you’d pick him. And I can’t bear to lose you. But I feel his presence is ruining our relationship,” his voice cracked as he spoke. A tear trailed down her face. She looked at him, barely nodding. He smiled softly, taking her hand. She squeezed his hand, looking away. Tuesday, December 16th The bell sounded, her heart speeding up. Standing, she gathered her things and headed out the door. “Relax,” she whispered to herself. Taking a deep breath, she then heard his laugh. It rang out over everyone’s voice, nearly knocking the wind right out from her. Smiling, she took her place beside him. “Hey honey,” he said, his hand reaching for hers. “Hey,” her hand moved away. Stopping, he looked down at her. “What’s wrong?” Heart breaking, she whispered, “It’s time we break up.” His hand quit searching for hers, his voice cracking, “I don’t understand… Why? Did I do something?” “I can’t stop loving my best friend. You asking me that is like me asking you to quit loving your mom. It just can’t be done!” He started slowly walking, leaving Grace alone. The bell rang, 3rd hour beginning. Grace was unable to move, her feet nailed to the floor, her eyes glued to Ricky. “So that’s it? You’re picking him? All I asked…” “Was for me to quit giving affections! There isn’t a day where I don’t give Evan a hug! I can’t do it. I’m sorry. But if you’re gonna ask me to do that, then we need to break up.” Ricky strode over quickly, his temper rising. “Fine! If you wanna end this, fine. Just know, I love you. SO much. And when Evan leaves for college, I’m not gonna be the one to hold your hand while you cry! God, I can’t believe you!” “There isn’t a single thing I’ve done wrong! You don’t think this is killing me too?! I’m already regretting this! I just don’t know what else to do, okay?!!” The words flew from her mouth, stunning him as much as her. Slowly, he spoke, “I don’t wanna lose you, I can’t. Who knows what I’ll get myself into… You’re my rock, and I need you… Please…” Looking away, Grace started crying. She fell to the floor, darkness taking over her body. “Grace?! GRACE?!” A frantic look came across Ricky’s face. He started shaking her, yelling out, “Help! Grace! Please!” A tear slipped from her eye, dark was all she could see. All breath in her was gone, as was her willpower. Letting go, she fell to the floor with a thud. Almost immediately, she started dreaming. The man was driving a semi-truck. It was darker than black out, his lights barely cutting through. The Arizona desert made the cab hot, causing the driver to open his windows. The air was thick, his breath hard to catch. A wolf could be heard howling in the distance. Suddenly, something ran in front of the truck. The man swerved, crashing. Grace gasped for air, eyes wide open. People were surrounding her, each saying something different. She wasn’t able to make anything out though. She looked at everyone, not a face familiar. Someone started shaking her. Her head began throbbing. She couldn’t sit up; her legs were being held up. Her hands had a tingly feeling in them. Her arms were numb, no feeling in them. A man bumped into her arm, she screamed from a stabbing pain. Thoughts rushed through her head like people rushed around her. Everyone had something to say, some advice or some worried comment. One voice floated above all others, Evan’s. Grace smiled despite the pain she was suddenly in. She spoke, voice breaking, “Evan?” His face was in her vision at once, it was clear he was concerned. “Yes Grace?” “Hey,” she smiled, “what’s going on? What’s happening? Is my arm broken? Will I go to the hospital?” “Whoa there. One question at a time,” he laughed nervously. “Yes, your arm is broken and yes you’ll be going to the hospital. No one knows what happened though. The only person who saw was…” “Ricky. I know. I was there. I fainted. We were arguing and I got really upset. I didn’t eat breakfast. Nothing’s wrong with me except my arm. Can you get me something to drink? Water, please?” “Sure, anything. I’ll be right back.” He squeezed her hand, and left. She could hear Evan repeating everything she just told him to someone else. The man he told said okay and walked away. “How is she? What happened?” “We don’t know at the moment, he called you because Ricky said you’re best friends with Grace?” “Yes I am,” Evan said sternly. “Evan?” Grace’s voice called out. Evan rushed to her side, leaving the man he was talking with alone. “Yes Grace?” “Hey,” she smiled, “what’s going on? What’s happening? Is my arm broken? Will I go to the hospital?” “Whoa there. One question at a time,” he laughed nervously, trying to cover up how worried he was. “Yes, your arm is broken and yes you’ll be going to the hospital. No one knows what happened though. The only person who saw was…” “Ricky. I know. I was there. I fainted. We were arguing and I got really upset. I didn’t eat breakfast. Nothing’s wrong with me except my arm. Can you get me something to drink? Water, please?” “Sure, anything. I’ll be right back.” He squeezed her hand, and left. Standing, he looked around, trying to find the man he been talking with before. He spotted him and walked over. Repeating everything Grace just told him, the man simply said okay. He walked away, getting Evan the glass of water for Grace. When the water was in his hand, Evan walked back over to his best friend. He handed her the water, his heart screaming for him to ask what happened between Ricky and her. He smiled when Grace finished the water, grabbing her hand. Right as he was about to speak, she beat him to it. “We were arguing about us. I told him we needed to break up. He didn’t wanna. I don’t wanna either. But there isn’t any way I’m losing my best friend.” Evan sighed, “Grace… This isn’t about me and you. This is about you two. I don’t care if I can only text and call you. It’s so worth it, as long as you’re completely happy with him.” “I am completely happy with him…” “Then don’t break up with him,” his voice was firm. “Would you seriously give up our hugs and hand holding and everything, for him?” “Not a chance would I do that! But for you, that’s a different story.” Her face lit up like the Fourth of July, “I’m so glad we’re best friends.” “Me too honey. Me too.” “Well, now what do I do with Ricky?” Unable to answer, he looked away. His eye caught the back of a plaid shirt. The wearer turned around. Quickly kissing Grace on the cheek, Evan stood up. He walked away, towards the person. “Evan.” Ricky’s voice was cold and hard. “Can I help you?” “Yeah. You can actually. What the hell are you doing kissing my girlfriend? You realize that’s my job and not yours, best friend.” “You back the hell off me. I’ll do what I want. And don’t you forget, whatever I tell Grace you said to me, she’ll believe. She’s already on the fritz about dumping your dumbass.” “So what?! Let her dump me!! I don’t even give a sh*t.” “Says the one who was begging.” Evan walked away, leaving Ricky to fume in his own anger. Wednesday, December 17th Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring. Dashing across the room, he snatched up the phone, practically yelling, “Hello?” “Hey,” the voice was soft, kindness flowing throughout. “What’s up baby? It’s been forever. How are you? How’s your arm? I miss you. Can I see you now?” the questions spilled out of his mouth, clearly nervous. “Nothing, I know, I’m fine, it’s fine, okay, no. Ricky, we’re done.” “I…what?” “We’re done. You love, yes I know. You can’t live without me, fine. Blah blah blah. I don’t care anymore. Evan told me you didn’t care, and now I don’t care. It’s over, we’re over. I gotta go now, Evan’s coming. Oh and don’t you dare say anything to him or get into a fight or do anything dumb, all right? I love you, probably always will, and I don’t want anything to happen to you. We just can’t be together anymore, at least not right now. I’m sorry. Bye Ricky.” The phone clicked. Speechless, he closed his phone. Heartbroken tears spilled from her eyes. Everything inside her was kicking and screaming. Her body was shaking, unable to relax. The door bell rang, causing her to jump and scream. Evan threw the door open, frantically looking around. His eyes landed on her and froze. He soaked up her terrible state, determining what he should say or do. He walked over, sitting next to her on the couch. He put his arm around her. Grace took the comfort and tried to relax. Her tears flowed more smoothly, each going into Evan’s grey shirt. His eyes focused on the movie that was playing. His thoughts were racing, his mind freaking out. S he sighed and grabbed his hand. He smiled at her. A small, hurt smile came across Grace’s face. Clearing her throat, she asked him, “Evan? Do you feel I made the right choice?” It took him a moment to reply, him finally saying, “I feel you made the better choice.” “What do you mean?” confusion sinking in. “I mean, of the two options you had to pick from, you picked the better. They were both good and either one would have been okay. But this one is more liberating. You shouldn’t let anyone, and I mean anyone, tell you who to be friends with. Yes, it hurts giving up someone you love, but you know, if he really does love you, he’ll fight for your relationship. And I think he will. Fight you that is.” “Oh… I see…” “Yup,” he squeezed her hand. “Whatever you say Best friend,” she laid her head on his shoulder. She closed her eyes, letting loose of the pain she held inside. Suddenly, the door bell rang. Her eyes flew open. Ricky was standing there, flowers in one hand and skateboard in the other. Evan stood, absolutely furious. He strode across the living room to the front door. Pissed, he yelled out, “What the hell?! You know, when people break up, you’re supposed to stay away. Get off her porch and out of her life. She’s extremely upset and you showing up here isn’t gonna help. Now f**k off you ass.” He slammed the door closed. He walked over and into the bathroom, mumbling to himself. Grace threw herself off the couch, rushing to the door. She opened it wide. There Ricky stood, tears streaming down his cheeks. Her heart broke all over again. She pushed the glass door open, speaking softly, “Ricky… What have I done…” “You’ve broke my heart. Please, Grace, take me back. It hasn’t even been five minutes and I’m already lost. I just… I can’t take it.” “Come here,” she whispered quietly. She stepped outside and held her arms wide open. He stepped into them, arms sliding around her too. They hugged, each soaking in the other’s sadness. “I’m sorry, I really am.” He pulled away, dropping his arms, “I am too. I’m letting my jealousy get in the way of our relationship. Please, give me another chance. I won’t do it again.” “Ricky. I refuse to lose you. But I refuse to believe that in only a couple minutes you know that you won’t do it again. We both know it’ll happen again.” ‘It won’t. I know it. Please Grace.” “Let’s just take a day or two to ourselves. We’ll just be on a break. I need a few days to myself. As do you. I need to figure out some personal things and you need to work on your jealousy. All right?” “All right,” he agreed half-heartedly. “Good, now get out of here before Evan kicks your butt,” she smiled at him. He smiled back, gave her a kiss on the cheek, and walked off. She went inside to find Evan standing there, anger steaming off of him. “What the hell was that?” “What do you mean?” She scooted around him, trying to make it back to the couch. “You know what I mean,” he lunged out towards her, grabbing her wrists. “Ow, that hurts!” She tried twisting away, unable to break his hold. “Damn right it does!!” “Evan, stop! You’re hurting me!” Tears began streaming from her eyes. “You break up with Ricky!” His voice rose higher, “Got me?!” “Evan!” She screamed. He let go, surprised by her scream. She rubbed her wrists and went to the couch. Evan just stood there, frozen by his actions. “Evan?” Grace’s voice came out as a whisper. He looked over and saw her patting the seat next to her. Moving like a sloth, the best friend sat down. “I’m sorry,” he said. “I don’t know what came over me. It… It won’t happen again, I promise.” Grace just nodded, her perfect brunette ringlets bouncing. She tenderly grabbed his hand and held it tight. She reached over and delicately placed a kiss on his cheek. She felt warmth rise into the cheek, causing her to kiss it again. He was mumbling something but Grace didn’t bother to listen. Again she kissed his cheek, then his jaw line, next his neck. She went back up, kissing the neck, the jaw line, the cheek, then his chin, his nose, his forehead. Finally, she kissed his lips. They were soft, moving with hers. He reached behind her, pulling her closer. He broke their kiss, smiling at the fact that his best friend was sitting in his lap. Grace smiled too, kissing one more time. “I know,” his voice was hoarse, “that you and Ricky are still togetherish, but isn’t this better? Me and you? We go so well together.” “Nos llevamos bien,” Grace said, pulling away. “Yeah…whatever that means.” She laughed, “We go together well.” “Oh, well then definitely.” “Si, para no puedo. Me gustaria Ricky. Tu estas mi amigo major.” “I have no idea what you just said but I heard Ricky and that’s all I need to hear.” He stood, releasing her hand. “Evan, where are you going?” “Home, I leave in two days and I need to do some, um, you know, meth,” he walked towards the door. Looking back, he asked, “Gonna give me a hug or what?” Grace got up and ran over, jumping into his arms. “Don’t leave. You don’t need to go do meth.” “I do actually,” he placed her down on the ground; “it’s the only way I can get rid of the feelings I have for you.” She stopped, frozen by his words. “I love you,” Evan said with a slight smile, “text me.” He opened the front door and walked out. Grace watched him walk down the driveway, get into his car, and drive away. She continued to watch what was going on outside. Her neighbors were living their lives, some out and about, some playing tag with their kids. Unwilling and unable to cry, Grace managed to let one simple tear stroll down her cheek. Inside that tear were Grace’s biggest fears and worst pains. It ran down her cheek, went under chin, and down her neck. It froze when it got to her collarbone, allowing her to wipe it away. She brushed it off, just like how she was planning on brushing Ricky off. Thursday, December 18th “Hey, are you free?” “Yeah, wanna come over?” “Yup. I’ll be there in a few.” “Kay baby, I love you.” “I know. Bye.” She hit the end button, ending the call. Grabbing her keys, she got into her car and started it. “Bottoms Up” was playing. She turned it up and backed down the driveway. Grace inched the car along, taking her time to gather herself together. By the time the song ended, she was at Ricky’s house. She parked in the driveway, knowing she wouldn’t be long. She climbed out of the car and walked up the stairs to the front door. She rang the doorbell, nervously tapping her fingers on her thigh. A cute little redhead boy answered the door. He let her in, giving Grace a huge hug. He called out for Ricky and sat down on the couch next to Grace. Together they waited for him, each hardly saying anything. “Grace?” Ricky called out, his voice coming from the kitchen. She sighed, that was where they normally met up. “In here,” she replied. He walked into the living room, surprised to see her and his brother together. “Teddy, leave. Grace and I are hanging.” Teddy stood, looking at Grace. She stood as well, giving the boy one last hug. He walked to the basement stairs and went down them. Grace continued to stand, just looking at Ricky. “Well…” he said. “Yeah, well.” “Movie time?” hope was in his voice. “No actually, I just came for one thing.” “Oh,” despair taking over the hope. “All right, the thing is…” She was cut short, his mother walking into the room. “Hey dear! How are you?” “Oh, I’m good, you?” “Just peachy!” “Good to hear.” “Oh yes, I’m glad to see you here. I was beginning to think I’d never see you again.” “Yeah…” “Well, you kids have fun. I’m gonna go play video games with Ted.” “You have fun too.” She walked downstairs, out of sight. “You were saying?” Ricky asked. “We’re done. I’m sorry, I am. But we need to end it.” “Fine,” his voice came out as a whisper, “whatever you say.” “I wish we didn’t have to, but I honestly don’t see any other way.” “All right…” “Hug?” He came closer and wrapped his arms around her for the last time. When they pulled away, tears were rolling down both of their faces. She pulled his face closer to hers, kissing him on the cheek. “I’m sorry,” she said quietly. “I hope one day you’ll be able to forgive me.” With that, she stepped back and walked to the front door. Looking around one last time, she gave a slight wave to Ricky and walked out.

Monday, December 15th

She laughed nervously, eyes searching all around. Her voice rose as he walked by, hoping to catch his attention. He continued on by though, practically crushing her heart.

“Oh man,” she sighed. Her friends looked in the direction, sighing themselves. “Isn’t he gorgeous?”

“He really is,” Ashley said.

“What I wouldn’t do for that…” she replied.

“You mean, if he only knew what you’ve already done for him?”

“Yeah, yeah, same thing,” she said back as all the girls laughed. “Well come on Ash, we gotta get to class. Bell is ‘bout to ring. See you at lunch ladies!” The blonde and Ashley blew kisses and walked down the hallway to the stairs.

“Emma, why don’t you just tell him already?”

“Because Ash, he has a girlfriend.”

“So what?” Ashley asked as they walked up the stairs.

“So what?! Serious?” Grace stopped at the top.

“Yeah, so what? Just say something.”

“Say what? Say, I know you’re dating my twin sister and all, but I’m in love with you? Hell no. Come on, let’s go class.” Grace opened the door and walked outside.

“So, Ricky is on his way over.”

“Awesome.”

“Quit being a brat.”

“Whatever.”

“What all are you going to do tonight?”

“Homework, watch some Glee, then eat dinner, and go to bed.”

“Sounds like a blast, dude.”

“It will be!”

“Haha, I’m glad to hear that you’re gonna have fun tonight.”

“Don’t I agree!”

Grace smiled at her twin, who was sitting on the floor, books on the table in front of her. Emma smiled back and opened her mouth to say something, but the doorbell cut her short. “One sec,” Grace said. Emma looked back down at her books, waiting for her sister to come back. Instead, tall and handsome Ricky came over.

“Hey there, whatcha working on?” he asked.

“Oh just the usual, a little bit of chemistry and a bit of American history.”

“Sounds exciting,” he said as he sat down next to her.

“Where’s my sis at? Aren’t y’all supposed to be hanging out?”

“We are, but Evan came with me. So right now they’re together. He’s going to college or something and he wanted to tell her.”

“Ah.”

“Yeah, so here I am, keeping you company.”

“Fine by me,” she smiled.

“Good,” he smiled back.

Suddenly, a timer in the kitchen went off. Ricky got up and turned it off. “That dinner?”

“Yeah, wanna tell Grace?”

“Sure thing.”

Emma watched him leave the room, sighed, and went back to her homework.

“Grace? What’s wrong?”

“Oh, well clearly nothing!” Grace screamed out, tears flowing.

Emma sat down next to her on the bed and pulled her close, “I’m sorry. What happened?”

“It’s Ricky. I love him so much but I can’t give him what he wants.”

“What do you mean?”

“He hates Evan.”

“And?”

“And he pretty much wants me to stop talking to him.”

“Oh,” Emma said softly.

“Yeah.”

Emma stroked Grace’s hair, trying to think of the right thing to say. Nothing came to mind, except the fact that she loved Ricky just as much and she didn’t talk with Evan. The thought of how much better she’d be for him kept popping up.

Suddenly, Grace pushed Emma off, “Get off me you whore.”

“Excuse me?!”

“You heard what I said!”

“What?”

Grace got up off the bed, practically screaming, “You love him don’t you?!”

“I do!” Emma yelled back.

“I cannot believe you!”

“You can’t believe me?!” Seriously?!!”

“Seriously. I cannot believe you and the fact that you’re the greatest twin ever and that you can still put up with me crying over Ricky!”

“Oh… Yeah, I know,” Emma laughed nervously.

Grace sat back down, crawling into her sister’s arms, “Thanks sis.”

“Of course… What are you gonna do though?”

“I honestly haven’t any idea.”

Tuesday, December 16th

The entire class looked up from their test as the principal walked into the room. Many went back to their test, but several watched as he whispered furiously with Mr. Brown. The two kept looking around and glancing at Emma and Evan. Mr. Brown motioned for Evan to come up to the desk. He stood and walked over slowly, concern on his face.

“What’s up?” A few heard him mutter.

“It’s Grace, come with me,” the principal said softly, walking out the door swiftly. Emma heard her sister’s name and shot out of her chair to the desk.

“What’s wrong with Grace?!”

“Nothing, it’s nothing, take your seat,” Mr. Brown said, pointing to her seat.

“Not until you tell me what’s going on!” The anger was beginning to take over the worriment.

“She fainted during passing period, while arguing with Ricky,” he said sternly, “now sit down. She’s being taken care of.”

“Oh… No, I will not take my seat! I wanna see her! Where is she?”

“Probably on her way to the hospital. Now sit!”

“Fine!” Emma stormed over to the door, “I’ll go see her, jeez!” Quickly, she opened the door and flew out it.

“Hey!” Mr. Brown yelled, running out the door as well. Emma ran quickly, finding Evan, who was just around the corner.

“What’s wrong? Where is she?” Emma panted.

“She’s fine and going to the hospital. They wouldn’t let me go with though…” Evan looked away.

“Are you okay?”

“Not really… They were breaking up, which is why they were arguing. And it’s all because of me! I told her I’d do anything her, including not talking to her. But I lied. I’ll go crazy if I can’t see her. I love her!” Evan yelled out.

“Oh my… Come here,” Emma held her arms open. He came in, hugging her tight. A tear fell from his eye right as Emma whispered, “You love Grace and I love Ricky… What a small world.”

“Hello?”

“Hey, how is she?”

“She’s fine Ricky. Her arm isn’t actually broken, there’s just a really big bruise.”

“Okay, good. Does she want me there?”

“Uh… Not right now.”

“Oh, all right, that’s fine, whatever, it’s cool.”

“Ricky?”

“Yeah?”

“Brace yourself for heartbreak, kay? And don’t forget, I am here for you.”

“Thanks Emma, you’re a real sweetheart.”

“I’ll call you later, kay?”

“Kay. See you.”

“Bye dear.”

The phone clicked and ended the call. Emma sat down in the big, brown, plastic chair next to the hospital bed. She gripped her sister’s hand tight, hoping she’d wake up already. The door opened with a crack, surprising Emma.

“Oh! You scared me!”

“My bad,” Evan said quietly, “she still sleeping?”

“No, I’m up,” Grace mumbled. She squeezed Emma’s hand, a signal for her to leave. Emma rose from the ugly chair and planted a kiss on her twin’s forehead.

“I love you,” she whispered.

“I love you too,” Grace replied with a smile.

Emma smiled back and walked out of the room, closing the door behind her. She went into the hospital’s waiting room and sat in the chair furthest from her family. She picked up a magazine from the table next to her and tried to read it. After some time though, she got bored and instead began looking around the room. For each person she saw, she made up a story. Every story was better than her own life, causing her to get really jealous. Unable to contain herself anymore, she strode down the hall to her sister’s room. She threw the door open, only to find her twin completely alone.

The realization that her sister was in this as much as she was overcame her jealously, allowing her to mutter quietly, “Where did Evan go?”

Her sister replied contently, “I sent him home. He seemed upset, and I didn’t think he needed to be here. I don’t think I should even be here, so why should he be here too?”

“Oh, I see. So what’s going on with you and Ricky?” Emma climbed into the hospital bed with her sister, snuggling close.

“We’re done. I can’t take it anymore. We’re over. No matter how things end up going, we’ll be over. Even if he doesn’t want to take it today, he’ll take it tomorrow. Or the next day. Just someday soon I hope, because if not, I’ll go crazy.”

Emma just nodded her head, her emotions running wild.

“Listen, Sis, I know how you feel about Ricky. I get it, he’s beautiful and a down-right wonderful guy. But whatever you do, don’t get involved with him. Especially not now. If he comes on to you, it’s only because we’re over. It’s only because he’s afraid to be alone. He’ll only use you and I cannot bear to have my sister hurt. Not only hurt, but hurt by the man who hurt me as well. That’s only tragic story I don’t wish to live. So please, listen to me. Please, take my advice to heart. Just leave him alone, don’t even look at him,” Grace grabbed her sister’s hand tight, “Promise me you won’t. Promise me that no matter how he tempts you, you’ll look the other way. Promise me, please. I’m begging you.”

“Grace…” Emma’s voice trailed off. “I love him. You love him. He loves you. There’s no way he’ll even think of me compared to you. So in all honesty, I don’t need promise you anything. Because no matter how much I wish it would, nothing is going to happen between me and Ricky.”

Wednesday, December 17th

Her heart was pounding as she walked upstairs to where her sister was calling her. She opened the door, hands sweating profusely.

She swallowed a clump of spit, talking nervously, “Yes Sis? What’d you want?”

Grace looked up from the homework she was working on, “I’m calling Ricky and I want you to be here so I can hold your hand.”

“Oh, okay, no problem,” Emma sighed, sitting on Grace’s bed.

“Why’d you get all relaxed all of a sudden?”

“Oh well I thought you were like mad at me or wanted to have another talk like yesterday.”

“Ah,” Grace got up from her desk chair and sat down next to Emma, “unless you wanna have another talk like that, I’m good.”

“Nope, I’m fine without!”

“All right,” Grace laughed.

“Are you gonna call now or later?”

“Now, Evan is coming over soon and I want this done before he comes.”

“Kay, let’s do this,” Emma grabbed her twin’s hand tight.

“Let’s,” Grace picked up her phone and dialed Ricky’s number. She took deep, steady breaths as Emma twirled her hair nervously.

“Hello?” Emma heard Ricky yell.

“Hey,” her sister said softly, a tear already rolling down her cheek.

“What’s up baby? It’s been forever. How are you? How’s your arm? I miss you. Can I see you now?” Ricky said.

“Nothing, I know, I’m fine, it’s fine, okay, no. Ricky, we’re done,” Grace replied, looking Emma straight in the eye.

“I…what?” he muttered.

“We’re done. You love me, yes I know. You can’t live without me, fine. Blah blah blah. I don’t care anymore. Evan told me you didn’t care, and now I don’t care. It’s over, we’re over. I gotta go now, Evan’s coming. Oh and don’t you dare say anything to him or get into a fight or do anything dumb, all right? I love you, probably always will, and I don’t want anything to happen to you. We just can’t be together anymore, at least not right now. I’m sorry. Bye Ricky.”

Emma wrapped her arms around Grace, knowing this could only be harder for her than him. She wondered how long it would take for Ricky to move on. Her heart took a leap when Grace hung up the phone. Her feelings were confusing, her sister was broken. The doorbell rang, letting them know Evan was there. Grace crawled out of Emma’s arms and left the room. Emma too got up and left the room. Only instead of going downstairs, she went into her own room. There, she sat at her desk and tried to plan out her first moves to win over Ricky.

The door creaked open and the young teen slipped through. Pulling down her shorts a bit for she was cold, the brunette climbed into the queen sized bed. She got comfy before tapping the person lying next to her.

She tapped them softly, whispering, “Hey, do you mind if I join you?”

The blonde rolled over, speaking slowly, “Not really.”

“Good,” Grace looked at her sleeping sister, “this isn’t creepy, but you’re really pretty when you sleep.”

“Thanks, night,” mumbled Emma.

“Night twin,” Grace leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. A tear fell from Grace’s eye, landing on Emma’s porcelain skin. The tear just sat there, mocking Grace in a way that was unbearable. The girl got out of the warm bed and searched for her phone. When she found it, she typed in the first number she knew. The phone seemed to ring forever, with a voice finally answering.

“Hello?”

“Hey, what’s up?”

“Sleeping,” the boy yawned, “you?”

“Nothing’…”

“Hm, well what’s wrong then?”

“Not too much…”

“Liar,” his voice was stern.

“I’m just upset about Ricky and stuff…”

“Tell, I’m listening.”

“Well, I’m in love with Ricky but I don’t want to be with him anymore. Oh and Evan told me he loves me. So I am pretty much on the fritz with both of them. And honestly, I don’t have anyone to turn because I practically have no real girl best friends, besides my sister, and she’s in love with Ricky, and the two guys I talk to, other than you, are in love with me. My life just sucks right now…”

“Wow, that’s a handful. Uh…”

“Yeah, I know.”

“Okay, here’s my two-cents. I think you should just get rid of Ricky. Throw him away pretty much. As to Evan, unless you do love him, tell him you don’t. And get friends, and hang with them. Such as me. You can call me anytime to hang.”

“Now?”

“On my way!”

“Bye.”

The phone clicked, allowing Grace to get out of bed and change. By the time she was dressed, the car had arrived.

Thursday, December 18th

“Emma, where is your sister?”

“I don’t know, Ma,” Emma plopped down on the first stool. She grabbed the closest box of cereal and poured herself a bowl.

“Humph, well I can’t find her anywhere in this house and she won’t answer her phone!” Her mother stormed out of the kitchen, calling for Grace like a dog.

When the furious woman was out of earshot, Emma called out, “She’s gone Grace.”

A cabinet door swung open, her sister climbing out of it, “Thanks for covering me.”

“Where the hell did you go last night?” Emma asked while shoving cereal into her mouth.

“I had a friend come get me and we just drove around all night long. I need to get away and get some things off my chest,” Grace sat down next to her sister, getting herself a bowl of cereal as well.

“Well who got you?”

Grace ate a spoonful of cereal before answering, “Nathan.”

“Oh! Nasty!”

“Nathan is not nasty!”

“Are you kidding?! He’s disgusting!” Emma got up and put her dishes in the sink.

“Nathan Turner is a god!”

“Wait, Nathan Turner?”

“Yes! Who’d you think I was talking about?”

“Nathan Goodman!”

“Oh gross.”

“For real, that’s why I said gross. But Turner is adorable. So I approve,” Emma sat back down next to her sister.

“I’m glad,” Grace laughed.

“So what’d y’all talk about?”

“Oh just my life and his, life in general, things, people, feelings, the usual.”

“Did you just talk?”

“Pinky swear! As cute as he is, I’m getting out of a relationship and he doesn’t really want a girlfriend or anything.”

“What do you mean, getting? I thought you and Ricky broke up.”

“Well we did, but I told him I’d think about us. I’m going to his place today though, to officially end it.”

“Does he know?”

Grace gave a confused look.

“About Nathan.”

“Oh, no, he hasn’t any clue. And let’s keep it that way?”

“Course,” Emma nodded. She rose from her chair, “Well I’m gonna get changed. Are you driving to school?”

“I’m not gonna go, not feeling it,” Grace poured herself some more cereal.

“Well does Ma know that?”

“Nope,” Grace took her bowl and spoon and went over to the cabinet, “because she can’t find me.” The teen opened the door and climbed inside. She waved goodbye to her twin as she shut the door.

“What a freak,” Emma sighed, leaving the room.

Friday, December 19th “Oh my gosh. It’s freezing in here!” The brunette shivered. “I know right?!” The tall, redhead nodded in agreement. Grace sat in the seat next to the redhead, just staring at her books. Breaking the silence, the other girl asked, “Are you ready for chemistry next hour?” “Ha, not a chance! That homework last night took up an hour of my time!” “Me too! It was so ridiculous. Don’t we have a quiz today?” “Oh sh*t yes. Can I borrow your book to study for a bit?” “Yeah, sure,” she reached under her desk and picked up the big orange book. “Thanks Cami,” Grace took the book from her and set it on her desk. “Grace, look.” Grace lifted her head to see that Ricky was sitting in the front desk, a few rows away from her. “Oh gross, what’s he doing here?” Cami shrugged her shoulders, turning her attention to the teacher. “Class, today, we will be having a guest tell us about his recent hardship. And when he’s done speaking, I would like you all to write a three-paged play that portrays what you saw as he was telling the story. Now please give a warm hand to Mr. Ricky Hanneman.” The class began to clap as he stood and sat on the stool in front of everyone. He searched the room for familiar faces and almost immediately saw Grace. He gave a slight smile and looked away. He took a deep breath and began to tell his story. “Many of you may know the feeling of losing someone who is dear to you.” Grace coughed. “Yet many of you many not,” Ricky glared at Grace, “therefore, my story today is about my break up with a loved one. Yes, I’m sure you all know the story, but I think you’ll be interested in hearing what I have to say.” Cami chuckled. “Shut it Cami.” “Watch it Ricky,” the teacher said. “Sorry, anyway…” Monday, December 22nd “Ouch!” She rubbed the back of her head and gave a glaring look towards the kid in the back. He smiled and nodded at the ground, where a piece of paper with her name on it was waiting. She reached down and grabbed the paper. When she sat back up, the teacher was staring her down. “Ms. Grace, what is number thirteen?” His German accent leaked through, causing the freshmen girls to giggle. “Ich kann nicht glauben Sie überprüft diese.” “Very good.” Laughter filled the air. She looked down at her lap, the note just sitting there. Opening it slowly, she read it, one page at a time. By the time she had finished, the bell had rung. Grace stood, gathered her stuff together, and walked out the door. She stormed down the hallway, her eyes searching for Ricky. Finally spotting him, Grace walked to his locker, trying to keep a hold of her emotions. “Ricky,” her voice was cold, emotionless. He looked at her and smiled, “What’s up baby?” “What’s up is my life. You f*ing ass. Everyone believed that damn speech you gave during class on Thursday.” “What?” Ricky had confusion written all over his face. “Here,” Grace threw the note at him and began walking away, “stay out of my life!” Crying, Grace sprinted up the stairs and rushed to her next class. Grace stormed into the house, throwing her stuff on the counter. Emma jumped, surprised to see her home so soon. “What are you doing home? Don’t you have basketball practice?” “I’m skipping,” Grace said harshly. “Ok…” Emma got up and stood next to her twin, looking out the window as well, “I heard about what happened today.” “Ricky tell you?” “Yeah.” “Of course. Emma, you really should stay away. But I know you won’t listen to me, no matter what I tell you.” “Yup.” “All right.” “He said he never meant to hurt you. He said he didn’t want it to be like this.” “Then why is it like this?” “I wish I knew.” “Mmhm.” “You should go to practice. You always focus better when you’re mad.” “Not true!” “Yes true. Why do you think for the past ten years I’ve always pissed you off before a game? I wanted to see you win. That’s why.” “Whatever.” “Just go.” “Fine.” “You change; I’ll get the car ready.” “Kay.” “Sis?” “Yeah?” Grace looked at Emma. “I love you,” Emma wiped away Grace’s tears and pulled her in close. “I love you too,” Grace whispered quietly. Tuesday, December 22nd “Hello?” Grace mumbled. “Oh hey, you’re up,” a perky voice replied. “Well sort of. What’s up Jennifer?” “Can you come get me for school?” “Yeah, I guess so. I’ll be there in fifteen minutes or so.” “Kay thanks!” Grace ended the call. Slowly, but surely, she rose from bed. She slipped on the first sweatshirt she saw and pulled a pair of jeans on. Sleepily, she brushed her teeth and put on her glasses. “Hey, almost done in there?” “Almost. Are you riding with me?” “Yeah I guess.” “Kay, well we gotta get Jennifer too.” “Ugh, fine, I’ll hurry then.” “Cool.” “Pop-tart?” “Please.” Grace listened to her twin sister shuffle down the hallway, towards the stairs. She pressed play on her iPod. The Rocket Summer began blasting their latest single. Skillfully, Grace played with her hair until it fell just right. When she opened the bathroom door, she found Emma standing there. She was munching on a pop-tart, another in her other hand. The blond was wearing a simple white tee, a patterned skirt, purple tights, and black high heels. “Wow, aren’t you hot stuff?” Grace asked while reaching for the pop-tart. “Don’t I know it?” Emma slid past her into the bathroom. She brushed her teeth and quickly did her makeup while Grace ate her breakfast. When the twins were done, they got in Grace’s red Ford truck. Emma laughed at how much stuff was in the backseat. “Are you ever gonna clean your truck?” She asked while adjusting the radio station. “No, probably not, but turn it to country.” Grace pulled up to the yellow house and honked the horn. A pretty young girl about 5 foot with short, pixie styled hair, came running out of the house. She opened the truck door and climbed over Emma. She clicked the lap seatbelt in and immediately changed the radio station. “Hey, why are you changing it? You like country!” Grace put the truck in reverse and began backing out of the driveway. “I do, but Ricky doesn’t,” Jennifer pointed to the front door as Ricky strolled out of the door. He was wearing the plaid shirt Grace had given him for a gift, skinny jeans, and his usual shoes. Grace promptly stopped the truck, allowing Ricky to get in the backseat. “Hey. I know you don’t wanna see me anymore but my car broke down and when Lil Jenni here said you were given her a ride, I was hoping you’d give me one too.” Ricky moved all the stuff in his seat to the other seat as he buckled in. “Yeah, it’s alright I guess,” Grace said quietly. As she started driving to the middle school, she looked back at Ricky, “I didn’t know you still had that shirt.” “Well of course I do, why would I give it away? I love this shirt!” “Me too, it looks great on you too.” “Thanks.” “Mmhm,” Grace turned up the radio and redirected her attention to the road. About ten minutes later, after dropping Jennifer off at the middle school, the group piled out of the truck. Grace locked it and caught up to Emma and Ricky, who had gone on ahead of her. “You guys ready for that test in chemistry today?” She asked nonchalantly. “Eh,” Ricky replied while looking away. “I guess,” Emma said, “Oh hey there’s Beth. I’ll see y’all after school.” She darted off. “So…” Ricky trailed off. “So?” He stopped walking and stared at her quizzingly, “Do you wanna hang out?” “What?” Grace stopped in her tracks. “Yeah, do you? Cause I miss you like a butt load.” “Oh, well, I guess, I don’t know, maybe…” “All right. Cool. Anywho, I’ll see you later.” Ricky turned and walked down the hallway towards his locker. “Bye…” she whispered. Wednesday, December 23rd She stood in front of the door. A tear fell from her eye. “This is where Ricky told me he loved me,” she thought, “and those are the steps I ran down, crying, less than a week ago… I hope I’m making the right choice.” She reached out and pressed the doorbell. There was silence for a moment and then footsteps. She could hear a boy voice calling out, saying that he was answering the door. Grace watched as the door slowly creaked open. Finally a face was seen. It was Ricky’s. He smiled a dazzling smile and held the door open for her. “Hey,” she said sweetly as she walked inside.