Smoothies | Teen Ink

Smoothies

Summary:

Maya and Graham have been friends since they were in kindergarten. In 8th grade they're friendship comes to a breaking point when Maya joins Brad's gang of troublemakers. Brad, the school bully, pours a smoothie on Graham right in front of Maya. Shocked and stunned Graham waits for Maya to intervene but she does not. Graham runs away from Brad and his relationship with Maya. 

The reader then shifts to Maya's point of view as she doesn't want to intervene. She faces the conflicts of managing friendships while at the same time her social status. As a right of passage into Brad's gang he forces Maya to pour a smoothie on an innocent student who she has no connections with. As she carries through with this action she questions if she is doing the right thing. After pouring the smoothie on the innocent student Maya immediately regrets it realizing she has lost her sense of empathy. 

As the reader shifts back into Graham's perspective he talks about his confusion about what just happened. In the bathroom he has the chance to meet a student who has gone through the same experience has him, Eli. Talking about their experiences they form a bond and friendship.

Time passes through the school year and Graham describes his 8th-grade graduation. Nostalgic and anxious Graham celebrates going off to High School. In a final conversation, Maya comes up to Graham apologizing for not being there as a friend. The apology can't fix everything though as Graham has a hard time trusting Maya. 

Anonymous

Smoothies