Hard Times | Teen Ink

Hard Times

By swerby, Los Angeles, California
swerby, Los Angeles, California

no

Harvey was a hard working business owner. Ever since he opened Harvey’s Assorted Crafts twelve years ago in 1969 he’s been doing his best to manage his shop at which he was the only employee. Every day he’d tend to the customers, close the store, clean up the store, and open the store in the morning, and while it didn’t make much he had a passion for it.

Harvey woke up on a wednesday afternoon, looking at his clock he saw that he only had an hour until he’d have to open his business. He made sure his opening time was always the most people would be willing to buy. He got ready knowing that he couldn’t waste another hour of sales time on his budget and opened up the shop.

“Only eight customers today.” Harvey recounted to himself, wondering if he did something wrong, “Eight customers, sixteen dollars gained in total.” Harvey knew his sales have been going down after the local factory moved but he thought he’d have more time to turn it around, he recounted again “Eight customers, sixteen dollars gained in total”; He only had a month before the mortgage payments on his house and business would arrive.

With a budget of hardly more than a hundred dollars he went to go eat the cheapest food he could find, finally stopping at a local coffee shop. After ordering the drink he went to sit down by the window of the coffee shop and think about what to do. As he sat another businessman came to sat beside him, “You’re the owner of that crafts store down the street right, Harvey, is it?”, “Yes it is,” Harvey replied “And why exactly are you asking?”, “Your small shop is one of my favorites in town.” “Well less and less people are starting to thinking that it seems.” Harvey said to the man, drinking what was left of his beverage. “It’d be such a shame to see such a place go.” said the man, “Oh by the way where do you work for?” asked Harvey, “I’m a banker, I manage loans and finances for the grocery store downtown.”, “You manage loans you say?”, “Yes”, The man replied “Would it be too hard for you to lend me an investment”.

After that Harvey just had to wait for the investment to arrive. He still had to manage and clean the store, and he did but now with a newfound optimism. Customers slowly began to come back and he was able to afford more, and the business grew.’   -